/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How does Islam create a secure emotional health?

Halast7
01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Islam meets the basic elements of emotional health in building the personality of the individual by developing these fundamental qualities:

1. A strong connection with God: This is a central area in building personality in the early stages of a person’s life to ensure a life that is void of anxiety and emotional disorders. Strengthening the ties with God involves the implementation of the prophet (PBUH) advice to Abdullah Ibn Abbas: “Oh lad, I am teaching you some words: honour God and He will honour you, Honour God and you will find Him close to you, if you must ask then ask God, and if you seek refuge then seek refuge from God, and know that if all people gathered to benefit you with something they won’t unless God has ordained it for you, and if they gathered to harm you with something, they won’t unless God has ordained it for you...Honour God and you will find Him with you, know God in good times He will know you in bad times, and know that what missed was not meant to happen to you, and what happened to you was not meant to miss you, and know that triumph comes with patience, and that relief comes with agony, and that after difficulty there is ease” .

2. Composure and emotional balance: Belief in God spreads tranquillity, composure and balance and protects the Muslim from factors causing worry, fear and imbalance... God says: “[Ibrahim 14:27] Allah keeps the believers firm upon the truth in the life of this world and in the Hereafter; and Allah sends the unjust astray; and Allah may do whatever He wills.”) and “[2:38] We said, "Go down therefrom, all of you. When guidance comes to you from Me, those who follow My guidance will have no fear, nor will they grieve.” And “[48:4] He is the One who places contentment into the hearts of believers to augment more faith, in addition to their faith. To GOD belongs all forces of the heavens and the earth. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise.”

3. Patience at times of hardship: Islam nurtures in the believer the spirit of patience in times of hardship when they remember God’s saying : “[2:177]..and they keep their word whenever they make a promise; and they steadfastly persevere in the face of persecution, hardship, and war. These are the truthful; these are the righteous.”

4. Flexibility in facing reality: This attribute is amongst the most important qualities which safeguards people from anxiety and stress when they contemplate God’s saying: “[2:216] But you may dislike something which is good for you, and you may like something which is bad for you. GOD knows while you do not know.”

5. Optimism: The believer is always optimistic and never despairs because God said: “[12:87] None despairs of GOD's grace except the disbelieving people.”, and God reassures believers that he is always with them if they ask him then he is close to them and will answer them if they invoke him “[2:186] When My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they pray to Me. The people shall respond to Me and believe in Me, in order to be guided.” and this is the peak of the human emotional health.

6. The Muslim is in harmony with himself: Islam is unique in that it made the age of commandment as the age of puberty. In most cases, this age is earlier than the legal age set by the positive laws. This way the Muslim begins his professional life carrying an appropriate stock of sound emotional basics which allows him to manage and control his wants and desires and equips him with a high degree of self-satisfaction thanks to the belief and correct religious education which awakens his conscientiousness and strengthen his ties with God.

7. The Muslim in harmony with others: Life of Muslims is a life based on cooperation, on beneficiation and piety, and forgiveness is the way which enhances friendship amongst them and eliminates hatred, while suppression of anger and the act of forgiveness is the sign of the pious and the strength of ones emotional balance “[41:34] Not equal is the good response and the bad response. You shall resort to the nicest possible response. Thus, the one who used to be your enemy, may become your best friend.”

Translated/Adapted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.