/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Theme parks?

qassy!
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Salam All,

I was in the mosque today and there was this talk (Jummah Namaz) and the basically the scholar was saying theme parks are haram (scholar does talk before jummah namaz starts)

things like
Thorpe Park
http://www.thorpepark.co.uk/
Alton Towers
http://www.altontowers.com/index.php

He basically said its self harming you self which is haram

I mean going on rollercoasters is not harming your self is it?

I am sure this scholar is wrong?

I dont know what I am going to do if this is haram because I love going on roller coasters!!!

Jazaa Kalah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
02-02-2008, 01:12 AM
...*scared*...people these days think everything is haram now dont they...fireworks dont harm no one...roller coasters dont harm anyone either... well..except that one ten year old boy who went on the big dipper and finished the ride...dead...but he was ten..only crazy parents let there kids go on the big dipper that young...its a scaaary ride...its wood too...some ppl put a baby on a ride wit them and he/she died...they mustve been um...crazy?... but i dont harm myself when going on roller coasters ...im still livin and no one has said its haram ....yet...so i actaully dont think it is haram... otherwise...no more...six flags...or cedar point...*sad*...pshhhht YAH RIGHT!! LIKE they said on the fireworks thread it only haram when u harm someone or urself but if u dont then its not so i think this wud be the same...

things just pop up new everyday these days dunt they... im all enjoyig fireworks for the past 2 or 3 years until i read somewhere that its haram.. i enjoy the roadrunner...then knowing roller coasters are haram... i enjoy smoking then find out thats haram too! (nah only kiddin..lol..im 15..illegal in islam and U.S) what if ur forced to go on a rollercoaster then find out its haram...like if u were forced yet u wanted to and ur bruv told u to go on it and u say its soo slow man they call that the road runner?! they need to make the speed MUCH faster...then when u get on it its unbelieveably fast u start crying the first time...but then it seems slower the second time when ur 3 years older...hehe lol...

sorry bout all that... i wundering bout this question too now...hm..

(please say no please say no please say no please say no ...oh and no i dont have my fingers crossed..)

:w:

p.s. please say no please say no please say no i havent got to get a turn to riide the superman yet...

MartyrX
02-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Why would they be haram?

FatimaAsSideqah
02-02-2008, 01:18 AM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

My question is:
Is it permissible to go to theme parks with my sons for fun or is that regarded as haraam?.
Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The state should provide permissible kinds of entertainment, because that will bring a number of benefits to all concerned. Recent statistics show that it is possible that the number of those who travel outside the Kingdom for holidays is around 5 million. Undoubtedly many of them are going to be exposed to haraam things and may do haraam things during their trip, let alone the money that is spent abroad in kaafir countries and on haraam entertainment. Many of them come back with deviant attitudes and chronic diseases which cause a loss in religious commitment, health, wealth, honour and reason. These are the necessary factors of life which all religions and laws came to protect.

The state should pay attention to permissible places of entertainment and make sure that they are safe and clean, and that the services offered there are good. They should set aside areas for children and families, and other areas for young men, and they should prevent haraam things such as playing music or allowing unveiling and wanton displays, or the presence of rowdy young men. Thus the state will block the way for those who want youth and women to become corrupted abroad, and they will help to save their money, stop the kuffaar and deviant people benefiting from this money, and it will provide job opportunities for many of the youth.

In the answer to question no. 47396 it states that it is not permissible for a Muslim to be present in a place where there are evils that he is unable to change. Rather he must strive to change them with his hand (by taking action) or with his tongue (by speaking out). If he is unable to do that then there is nothing left but denouncing it in his heart, and part of denouncing it in his heart is that he must leave that place.

Based on this, it is not permissible for you or anyone else to go to places of entertainment where sins are being committed, such as uncovering and wanton display, or music. Allaah has given you an alternative in places where these sins are not to be found. You should also not forget about doing ‘umrah during these days. The wise Muslim takes advantage of his life before he dies, of his good health before he falls sick, of his free time before he becomes busy, and of his wealth before he becomes poor. We do not forbid that which Allaah has permitted of going to permissible places of entertainment. But we advise you to be selective and to do that which is best for your Hereafter.

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A

Peace be upon you

Allah Hafiz
Sister Fatima

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MartyrX
02-02-2008, 01:24 AM
So if I read that correctly we can't be anywhere were a sin is being committed? Did I misinterpret that?

snakelegs
02-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Edit

truemuslim
02-02-2008, 01:36 AM
^ okey then i gotta move to a islamic country cuz my neighbors drink beer outside while i play basketball ? ...btw in six flags NO haram is being done...no one is selling beer or nutin there and no one is playing music except from another place waay put of six flags (SOMETIMES)

oh and also i have to starve to death cuz i cant go to the grocery store and buy food cuz they also sell and drink beer there...oh and smoke... and i cant go to a resaraunt cuz they sell pork there?? this is really confusing

FatimaAsSideqah
02-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Edit

truemuslim
02-02-2008, 01:43 AM
^ huh?

FatimaAsSideqah
02-02-2008, 01:45 AM
^ my mistake. I just changed my post. Sorry about confusing!

MartyrX
02-02-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm completely confused now.

snakelegs
02-02-2008, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
I'm completely confused now.
if i confused you, i apologize. i've edited my post.

FatimaAsSideqah
02-02-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't have any of proof if it is haram or not. i am not expert of this. Better things is to wait to see what another people's views of this.

My last post is only answer to who made this request.

Be patient.

Sister Fatima

MartyrX
02-02-2008, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
if i confused you, i apologize. i've edited my post.
Oh no it's the quote from that site. It's not you.

truemuslim
02-02-2008, 02:11 AM
lol im back... went to the other forum (never logged off this tho) and im less confused... lol ok righteous lady .. i am not confused no more

Ebtisweetsam
02-02-2008, 06:32 AM
There are prayer rooms at some of the major theme parks in Australia.... like the Gold Coast..... had they have been approved by Muslim Scholars if theme parks were haram? :hmm:

guyabano
02-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but I'm going to resume this: Does this mean, everything which has a Fun-Factor is haraam in Islam ?
You're kidding me, right ?

rabarbara2008
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
^ okey then i gotta move to a islamic country cuz my neighbors drink beer outside while i play basketball ? ...btw in six flags NO haram is being done...no one is selling beer or nutin there and no one is playing music except from another place waay put of six flags (SOMETIMES)

oh and also i have to starve to death cuz i cant go to the grocery store and buy food cuz they also sell and drink beer there...oh and smoke... and i cant go to a resaraunt cuz they sell pork there?? this is really confusing
yeah exactly, if it's like this, we should stay in for the rest of our lives!
I don't know, but as long as your intention is good and islamic and you don't participate in things like drinking, I don't see a reason why muslims could not go to theme parks. people should relax from time to time.

aadil77
02-02-2008, 11:07 AM
:sl:

I would personally just ignore that fatwa,
That guy is just trying to take all the fun out of our lives

I love going to theme parks and always will, if you're worried about uncoveredness then keep your gaze down like you do eveywhere else!
My madressa has even had trips to theme parks,

but here in the uk, there been a few times where muslims have actually hired out theme parks

BRITAIN’S biggest fun park has sparked a race row ? with a

MUSLIMS-ONLY day.

Up to 28,000 are expected at Alton Towers on September 17 when there will be no music, booze or gambling.

Instead there will be prayer areas, Muslim stalls and all food served will be HALAL.

Organisers Islamic Leisure have billed it the First National Muslim Fun Day and tickets can only be bought through their website.

Non-Muslims phoning the Staffordshire park have been refused tickets.

Rezvana
02-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Salams everyone

In my humble opinion (IMHO) different imams say different things, so I guess you gotta do what your gut instinct tells you. Come on some ppl even argue that smoking is not haram, if that thats the case theme parks dont even come close!!

Our actions are best judged by our intentions

wasalams

qassy!
02-02-2008, 12:31 PM
@ RighteousLady - I am not going to another country I live in the UK and Thorpe park is so close to me about 2 hours on train :)

@ adill77- Yeah I remember that Muslim day only, I dont see why they did it its just abit stupid!

Anyway i going to say its halah!

Souljette
02-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Why i think Muslims day is good..that way there's some order on where the women go and men go..Theme parks aren't haram it's just the fact that which theme park your going to..like water parks..c'mmon you see all kinds of things there so i don't know about that..but other wise i dn't see a reason why it is

qassy!
02-02-2008, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
Why i think Muslims day is good..that way there's some order on where the women go and men go..Theme parks aren't haram it's just the fact that which theme park your going to..like water parks..c'mmon you see all kinds of things there so i don't know about that..but other wise i dn't see a reason why it is
its NOT a muslim country

Souljette
02-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes bro i'm talkin about that..it's not a muslim country soo...having muslim day ..what's rong with that ..i remember in six flags they had muslim day and the whole masjid i was goin to went..except fr me cuz i was sumplace else :@...but i think it's cool to have Muslim day

anonymous
02-02-2008, 02:14 PM
O WATEVER TREVOR

EVERYTHINGS CLASSED AS HARAAM THESE DAYS, WAT THE HELL, PROPER WINDS ME UP :mad:

format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Sorry, but I'm going to resume this: Does this mean, everything which has a Fun-Factor is haraam in Islam ?
You're kidding me, right ?
NO, THATS NOT TRUE AT ALL, ALTHOUGH WITH REGARDS TO WHAT SOME OF THESE NARROW MINDED ''IMAMS'' SAY ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS, I DONT BLAME YOU FOR GETTIN THE WRONG END OF THE STICK.

MY LOCAL MOSQUES HAS A PLAY SCHEME EVERY SUMMER, WHERE THEY ORGANISE LOADS OF FUN DAYS OUT, I.E. LIKE THEME PARKS

EYYYYYYYYVAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

WAT.EV.MAN.

qassy!
02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
:D
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
O WATEVER TREVOR

EVERYTHINGS CLASSED AS HARAAM THESE DAYS, WAT THE HELL, PROPER WINDS ME UP :mad:

NO, THATS NOT TRUE AT ALL, ALTHOUGH WITH REGARDS TO WHAT SOME OF THESE NARROW MINDED ''IMAMS'' SAY ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS, I DONT BLAME YOU FOR GETTIN THE WRONG END OF THE STICK.

MY LOCAL MOSQUES HAS A PLAY SCHEME EVERY SUMMER, WHERE THEY ORGANISE LOADS OF FUN DAYS OUT, I.E. LIKE THEME PARKS

EYYYYYYYYVAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

WAT.EV.MAN.

chill out mann!!!!!

im going thorpe peark this month :D

------
02-02-2008, 05:58 PM
:salamext:

Subhaan Allaah brothers and sisters! Our brothers and sisters are dying and starving, and we're worried about enjoying ourselves at theme parks?! Astagfirullah.

If you think about it, mixing with the opposite gender is not allowed in any way, and theme parks are MASSIVELY mixed.

EVERYTHINGS CLASSED AS HARAAM THESE DAYS, WAT THE HELL, PROPER WINDS ME UP
Subhaan Allaah sister! Islaam winds you up?!

Why did you ask in the first place? And are you more talented and knowledgeable than the Imam?!

We should ask the people of knowledge, and not make our own assumptions!!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-02-2008, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!

cool ! at least you didnt say its hala"L" eh, that woulda taken a serious scholarly judgement on your part.

now, hmm whats best, oh yes

THREAD CLOSED (like i can be bothered to post the icon...)

Assalamu Alaikum

qassy!
02-02-2008, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

If you think about it, mixing with the opposite gender is not allowed in any way, and theme parks are MASSIVELY mixed.

Why did you ask in the first place? And are you more talented and knowledgeable than the Imam?!

We should ask the people of knowledge, and not make our own assumptions!!

1 ) Well I asked because I go every 2-3 months to theme parks - and I was thinking the Imam is wrong.
2 ) No I do not have more knowledge them in imam thanks for your sarcasm
3 )
That means I cant go college, go to work, or even leave my door step :rollseyes
4 ) Alton Towers had "muslim only" day remember? if they had that surely theme parks is halah

also the Imam is saying its harming you self yes his wrong bacause when yur a rollercoaster your harming ur self are you ? :)

qassy!
02-02-2008, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
cool ! at least you didnt say its hala"L" eh, that woulda taken a serious scholarly judgement on your part.

now, hmm whats best, oh yes

THREAD CLOSED (like i can be bothered to post the icon...)

Assalamu Alaikum
Sorry I ment iI think its halal

Because the solour sais its

A) Harming your self thats why its haram but no way its harming ur self

and if it was haram there wouldnt be Alton Towers muslim day only would it :S?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
i dont like it when people override my thread closed ! lol

bro, if you think its halal then all well and good, if someone thinks its haram then all well and good.

just lets not be forcing opinions down throats :)

------
02-02-2008, 06:16 PM

1 ) Well I asked because I go every 2-3 months to theme parks - and I was thinking the Imam is wrong.
How can an Imam do a whole fatwa on something wrong?!

also the Imam is saying its harming you self yes his wrong bacause when yur a rollercoaster your harming ur self are you ?
How do u know he didnt mean spiritually harming yourself? As in ur Imaan? COz they take you away from the focus of our life?!

How do Non Muslim people know whats right/wrong in our religion?

qassy!
02-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Subhaan Allaah brothers and sisters! Our brothers and sisters are dying and starving, and we're worried about enjoying ourselves at theme parks?! Astagfirullah.
So does that mean I cant enjoy my self ?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-02-2008, 06:18 PM
the sahaba's use to enjoy salaah :)

when you know that, doesnt it make you wanna do everything possible to reach that state.

just imagine, ENJOYING salaah, to the extent where you would rather finish a surah then take out a fatal arrow ;o subhanAllaah !!

noorseeker
02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
salam, Themes parks are not haram, its the things that go on that make it haram.

Say a hall was hired out for a islamic talk one day , the environment is halal,
next day someone hires it out for a party , which is haram.

That doesnt make the hall a haram place, its is what it is used for that matters.

Thats the trouble with these forums is , i know i just gave my opinion above,and i am telling my self first this , too many people are saying what they think is haram , what they feel is haram .

In my opinion e.g is haram or halal.Our opinions do not matter, some times we do more harm than good regardless of wheter our intentions are good

------
02-02-2008, 06:22 PM

There are ways of enjoying urself in Islaam.

People that go out with girls, drink alcohol, get on a high, n then they say "cant i enjoy myself in Islam? Why is islam so strict?" Its not Islam that is strict!!! Society is influencing you so much that u cant see whats right from wrong!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
^ yeah your right, but at the same time i would say islaam is strict. And i love that about islaam, we dont hug robbers and kiss fornicators, we chop off hands and stone. We take prevention before cure and learn to love the akhirah and live as if we're there.

I love that about islaam, lifes a passing, so pass it, dont try building a palace in the middle of a journey, its stupid

------
02-02-2008, 06:26 PM

^^^

lifes a passing, so pass it, dont try building a palace in the middle of a journey, its stupid
Exactly.

Souljette
02-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I like that quote

truemuslim
02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
okey im happy... i can go to six flags...!!!! YAY!!!!!!! hehe cant wait to dare my bro to go on the superman..(he sooo gonna go...) its just my dad who doesnt let us..hmp...becasue it looks extreme...im gonna convince him to let us tho

aminahjaan
02-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Sorry I ment iI think its halal

Because the solour sais its

A) Harming your self thats why its haram but no way its harming ur self

I personally believe that they aren't haram. But I think what the scholar meant was that it gives you unnecessary fear. This teacher in my masjid was explaining that in a way scary movies aren't good to watch. But she didn't call it haram. She did say that it gives you fear and it makes you turn away from fearing Allah and also wastes your time greatly from just a motion picture or in this case just a ride. I mean I still watch them but you know what I mean, that it's not good for you because it gives you bad images in your head which will lead to being scared and thats not really necessary. Which is like roller coasters and roller coasters give you somewhat of a fear, but not traumatizing. But thats ALL I can think of if you can tie theme parks in ANY possible way to haram. Maybe someone has already said this...too lazy to check, but that's what I think he was tryna say...but it's not right.
and I think my analogy to scary movies sucked but you get the point I hope

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 11:19 AM

There are ways of enjoying urself in Islaam.

People that go out with girls, drink alcohol, get on a high, n then they say "cant i enjoy myself in Islam? Why is islam so strict?" Its not Islam that is strict!!! Society is influencing you so much that u cant see whats right from wrong!
Seems like some nutcase is making his own fatwah. Did he back it up with any quotes from the Quran? Doubt it. (because it doesn't exist)

Ahlaam, you are saying mixed enviroments are not permitted? well did people not co-exist in the time of Mohammed? did he ban women or men from mixing? did he say women are not to go out when men are present? You're segregating yourself, and that's not what it's all about. Like the other post states, in that case you may as well stay locked up indoors because NEVER will there be a time when only ONE gender at a time will be permitted to roam about at any single time!

Gur Fateh

------
02-05-2008, 11:21 AM

^ I didn't mean that, but u won't understand.

Peace.

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla
I personally believe that they aren't haram. But I think what the scholar meant was that it gives you unnecessary fear. This teacher in my masjid was explaining that in a way scary movies aren't good to watch. But she didn't call it haram. She did say that it gives you fear
She obviously hasn't seen a scary film. I mean, it's not scary at all, more laughable.:sunny:

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 11:23 AM

^ I didn't mean that, but u won't understand.

Peace.
Explain it then if it means so much to you.

------
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM

The only point I’m trying to make is, that when you can avoid being with the opposite gender you should, because all sorts of problems arise. I’m not going to go into detail, because anyone can think for themselves what the problems are, and what kind of situations occur.

Main Point:
Minimum contact is essential and if you can avoid contact with the opposite gender, you should.

Other Point: However if you HAVE to have contact with the opposite gender, e.g. lets say you go to work on the bus in the morning and the opposite gender is standing next to you, you are in a situation where you have no option but to stand there because you will be late for work. I think this is permissable.

I hope you understand me, and sorry if I didn’t explain my points clearly.

Peace.

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM

The only point I’m trying to make is, that when you can avoid being with the opposite gender you should, because all sorts of problems arise. I’m not going to go into detail, because anyone can think for themselves what the problems are, and what kind of situations occur.

Main Point:
Minimum contact is essential and if you can avoid contact with the opposite gender, you should.

Other Point: However if you HAVE to have contact with the opposite gender, e.g. lets say you go to work on the bus in the morning and the opposite gender is standing next to you, you are in a situation where you have no option but to stand there because you will be late for work. I think this is permissable.

I hope you understand me, and sorry if I didn’t explain my points clearly.

Peace.
Yes it makes perfect sense. But, if it's an event organised by a Muslim establishment and it's conducted in an Islamic manner, is that wrong? (women/men areas etc)

Also, if the our own minds are in tune with God, then nothing of 'that' thinking would ever enter our thoughts would it sister? regardless of if it's there or not tempting us.
:smile:

------
02-05-2008, 11:57 AM

But, if it's an event organised by a Muslim establishment and it's conducted in an Islamic manner, is that wrong? (women/men areas etc)
I don’t think so…

Also, if the our own minds are in tune with God, then nothing of 'that' thinking would ever enter our thoughts would it sister? regardless of if it's there or not tempting us.
Yeh I agree… But some people aren’t ‘in tune’ with God… :)

Allaahu Aalim (Allaah Knows Best)

AvarAllahNoor
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeh I agree… But some people aren’t ‘in tune’ with God… :)

Allaahu Aalim (Allaah Knows Best)
True...think I see your point now....Hmmm

I hate being wrong :cry:

------
02-05-2008, 12:07 PM

^ It's kool, I enjoyed the discussion! :peace: And I got my point explanation across.

Aaliyah~
02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77

I would personally just ignore that fatwa,
That guy is just trying to take all the fun out of our lives

I love going to theme parks and always will, if you're worried about uncoveredness then keep your gaze down like you do eveywhere else!
My madressa has even had trips to theme parks,

but here in the uk, there been a few times where muslims have actually hired out theme parks

i was intending to attend this but it was cancelled , because they couldn't generate enuff numbers to attend:thumbs_do

Aaliyah~
02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
^^^^
above was re:
BRITAIN’S biggest fun park has sparked a race row ? with a

MUSLIMS-ONLY day.

Up to 28,000 are expected at Alton Towers on September 17 when there will be no music, booze or gambling.

Instead there will be prayer areas, Muslim stalls and all food served will be HALAL.

Organisers Islamic Leisure have billed it the First National Muslim Fun Day and tickets can only be bought through their website.

Non-Muslims phoning the Staffordshire park have been refused tickets.

truemuslim
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
...wow when did this thread come up from the dead?...

Ayesha Rana
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Masha'Allah. I was getting tense then, nice to see arguments settled out in a civil way. Jazakallah khairun.

Aaliyah~
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
lol
its prolly me!
i'm new at this forum.
ignore me. ididn;t realise it was done n dusted!

aadil77
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Anyway i going to say its halah!:ooh:
halal! bro Halal!:D

someone...
02-05-2008, 08:47 PM
is there a difference between halah and halal?

im not joking im just trying to make sure

------
02-06-2008, 10:15 AM

Halah - is there such a thing?!

Halal = Halal :-\

Thread closed?

aamirsaab
02-06-2008, 10:24 AM

Halah or khala = mom's sister.

By the power of greyskull, I shall thwart skeletor's plans to cause fitnah among the muslims by locking this thread.

Come now battlecat!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.