/* */

PDA

View Full Version : parents too antiislamic

Habil
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
assalamualeykum,

I'm 29 years old, and although I've worked for some years in the past, lately decided to get a degree and I'm now applying for a post as judge assistant. The fact is that, despite my age, I have no economic resources and have to depend on my parents which are two lovely persons... most of the time. When it comes to my conversion to islam they are all but sympathetic. They dislike the five daily prayers routine and they think the mosque is a place full of fanatics that want to wash your mind.
I try to comply with their orders since they do not command me to disbelieve in Allah and his Prophet (sas), but I resorted to combining prayers so they don't see me praying too many times a day and reduced salat to the fard minimum.
I also have problems in attending mosque, especially for Friday Prayer, and lastly declined to go until I get their permission.
I don't know if I'm acting correctly. Any advice would be welcomed.

Mahasalama,

Habil

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abida
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
SubhanAllah...
At first you are very good child, responsible, and kind to your parents, but you don't have obligation to listen to them when they are pushing you away from Allah and Mohammad s.a.w.s.
I also have a problem with my father, he doesn't like the hijab, and he isnt alowing me to put it on. I am trying to fight some time, but I cant do it forever. You can be kind and fine to them some time, but you cant waste your time for people who wont listen.
....May Allah help you...
:sl:

MartyrX
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I think you should talk to him and explain why we pray five times, and even bring them to the Mosque to see we're not fanatics.

- Qatada -
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Asalaamu alaikum brother :)

There were many companions of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) who went through alot of what you are going through :)

A famous one is Sa'd ibn Abi Waqas:
http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...i-waqqaas.html

I want you to read his story and relate it to yourself insha Allah. :) When his mother was about to starve herself - so that he would leave Islam - Allah revealed this verse to His Messenger:
"But if they strive to make you join in worship with Me things of which you have no knowledge, obey them not. Yet bear them company in this life with justice and consideration and follow the way of those who turn to Me. In the end, the return of you all is to Me and I shall tell you (the truth and meaning of) all that you used to do." (Quran Surah Luqman, 31: 14-15).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rabarbara2008
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Habil
I try to comply with their orders since they do not command me to disbelieve in Allah and his Prophet (sas), but I resorted to combining prayers so they don't see me praying too many times a day and reduced salat to the fard minimum.
I also have problems in attending mosque, especially for Friday Prayer, and lastly declined to go until I get their permission.

Mahasalama,

Habil
Hmm difficult. You say they do not command you to disbelief, but on the other hand they make a problem of you praying. So they are pushing you away from Islam. Concerning the friday prayer, can't you say you are going somewhere else? Do you have to explain your whereabouts to your parents at any time? For someone who is 12 ok, but you are a little older than that. Sorry I am not trying to offend you..

Strzelecki
02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Salamu alaikum wa rahmahtullahi wa barakatuh brother,
I am in the same situation as you right now, however my parents are only aware of my interest in Islam. They still don't know I've reverted. The simple fact is that this is a test, so treat it accordingly. The last thing you want to do is give up hope.
Make lots of du'a and pray that inshaAllah Allah [swt] guides them to the straight path.

Good luck. :)

Alifah
02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Dua is a good thing of course, but when it comes to action...my parents don't know about my convertion but they don't like the way I live - not drinking, not smoking, not going to discos, wearing modest clothing...I tried to explain some things but they go on thinking that all muslims are terrorists. So the best way out is to prove not with the words but with behaviour. when parents see that their child has become more honest, more modest,more respectful to them - may be they'll change their mind...in my case it has been lasting for a few years and they haven't changed their mind yet..So it' s a lengthy process))

AvarAllahNoor
02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh (Pure Ones Belong To God, Victory To God)

Hi, you say you're 29? surely at THAT age you are able to make your mind about things? You're an adult.

It's odd how parents who are supposed to encourage the children on the right path fail! - Then thye wonder why the kids don't listen and end up taking drugs smoking drinking and fornicating!!

Have faith in Allah, he's got your affairs n his hands. Pray with passion and purity. The rest shall follow.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh (Pure Ones Belong To God, Victory To God)

Skillganon
02-17-2008, 02:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
[B]Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh (Pure Ones Belong To God, Victory To God)

Hi, you say you're 29? surely at THAT age you are able to make your mind about things? You're an adult.
Mate different people, different culture. End of the day it's upto him to decide how best to go about his relationship with his parent.

I think he is looking for advice how to best accomodate both without contravening in his religion. I am sure if worse comes to worse he can make the right decision.

_ALI_
02-17-2008, 03:10 AM
assalamualeykum,

I'm 29 years old, and although I've worked for some years in the past, lately decided to get a degree and I'm now applying for a post as judge assistant. The fact is that, despite my age, I have no economic resources and have to depend on my parents which are two lovely persons... most of the time. When it comes to my conversion to islam they are all but sympathetic. They dislike the five daily prayers routine and they think the mosque is a place full of fanatics that want to wash your mind.

Mahasalama,

Habil
Waalikumussalam brother Habil
I suppose you can explain to your parents that all your good qualities i.e you respecting them, obeying them etc are due to Islam. You can quote them the verse that
017.023 وَقَضَى رَبُّكَ أَلا تَعْبُدُوا إِلا إِيَّاهُ وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا إِمَّا يَبْلُغَنَّ عِنْدَكَ الْكِبَرَ أَحَدُهُمَا أَوْ كِلاهُمَا فَلا تَقُلْ لَهُمَا أُفٍّ وَلا تَنْهَرْهُمَا وَقُلْ لَهُمَا قَوْلا كَرِيمًا
017.023 Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.

Al-Qur'an, 017.023 (Al-Isra [Isra, The Night Journey, Children of Israel])
If your parents still think that Muslims are fanatics then tell them that you are a muslim but not a fanatic. But you cannot change your parents' thinking in a day. Give them time and may be after a while, they will understand you and they will understand Islam. It is a good idea to ask them to read Quran and then point out how it is a book of fanatics.
May Allah guide us all to the right path
ALI

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.