/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Mouthwashes that contain Alcohol ok to use?

Zuko
09-26-2005, 03:23 AM
I wanted to know, is it ok to use listerine (mouthwash) since it has alcohol?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
baby_muslimah15
09-26-2005, 03:36 AM
Yea... Because it doesn't have that kind of alcohol... because we buy listerine all the time...But if you want more proff about it.. Dunno

Zuko
09-26-2005, 03:39 AM
thanks for your reply.........

Zuko
09-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Well according to this site it is:

http://www.geocities.com/maakhan/islam1.htm

Scope Original Mint, Scope Peppermint, Colgate Tartar Control Formula, Cool Mint Flavor, Peppermint Flavor, Lavoris, Cepacol, Cepacol Mint, Signal Mouth Wash, Listermint, Listerine(Contains alcohol, no glycerine), BAD
:-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Noor
09-26-2005, 03:44 AM
:sl:

Honestly sister, I don't have proof, and I really do not want to do the research but I'm sure it's not haraam,. Or else we would have known already.
Remember everything is Halal until proven Haraam. Except when it comes to Ibadah.

:w:

P.S. I'm extremely bored, better go to sleep.

Noor
09-26-2005, 03:45 AM

Fine, I'll do some research before I go...BRB.

Noor
09-26-2005, 03:47 AM

Question :

I have been advised not to use Listerine, a kind of mouthwash, because it contains some form of alcohol. However, if the kind of alcohol it contains is not an intoxicant, is there some other reason for its prohibition or would it be permissible to use it?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

If the alcohol which this mouthwash contains is not intoxicating, then it is ok. to use it, so long as it is not harmful, because what is haraam is only that which is intoxicating.

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd.

In this case we should look at the drink as a whole: if a lot of it causes intoxication then a little of it is haraam.

Safa
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Salam,

Try the Crest alcohol free mouthwash.

Muezzin
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noor
Remember everything is Halal until proven Haraam.
Tell that to the 'Coke is an alcoholic beverage' people :p

minaz
09-26-2005, 02:49 PM
lol PEPSI rulz!

Zuko
09-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Jazakallah Khair for the reply Noor... Very much appreciated...:sister:

format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
lol PEPSI rulz!
Boy, you have ABSOLUTELY NO TASTE in soda... :thumbs_do

baby_muslimah15
09-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Personally.... Mountain Dew Is the best soda in the world!!!!! then pepsi.

ishkabab
09-26-2005, 10:29 PM
hey sister Alcohol is Acohol there 2 types one is the one they use in da hospital when they clean our skin..etc...da other one is the one the drinf and put in food ingredients ....like i said if u dont believe me call LISTERENE>>>1-800-223-0182, weekdays, 9 AM - 5 PM ESTthanx

Ummu Amatullah
09-26-2005, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ishkabab
hey sister Alcohol is Acohol there 2 types one is the one they use in da hospital when they clean our skin..etc...da other one is the one the drinf and put in food ingredients ....like i said if u dont believe me call LISTERENE>>>1-800-223-0182, weekdays, 9 AM - 5 PM ESTthanx
Okay sis chill there for a second now no need to go all you know.The active ingredients are menthol, thymol, methyl salicylate, and eucalyptol, all of which are structural isomers. While not listed as an active ingredient, ethanol or grain alcohol is present in concentrations between 21 and 26% w/v. This accounts for a large part of Listerine's antibiotic activity.Alcohol, causes an easier reception of carcinogens

ishkabab
09-26-2005, 10:45 PM
im sry sis no its not the one the docters use....we would have been dead consuming the 1 they use...lol.... its the other one that is used in foods..

Noor
09-27-2005, 02:20 AM

Question :

I have been advised not to use Listerine, a kind of mouthwash, because it contains some form of alcohol. However, if the kind of alcohol it contains is not an intoxicant, is there some other reason for its prohibition or would it be permissible to use it?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

If the alcohol which this mouthwash contains is not intoxicating, then it is ok. to use it, so long as it is not harmful, because what is haraam is only that which is intoxicating.

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd.

In this case we should look at the drink as a whole: if a lot of it causes intoxication then a little of it is haraam.

Muhammad
09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Question :

What is the ruling on medicines that contain a percentage of alcohol?.
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to mix medicines with alcohol, because alcohol must be thrown away. It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: We had some wine belonging to an orphan, and when al-Maa’idah was revealed (i.e., the prohibition of khamr or alcohol), I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it and I said, “It belongs to the orphan.” He said: “Pour it away.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1263; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Secondly:

If the medicine is mixed with alcohol, and the percentage of alcohol is so great that this medicine is intoxicating, then it is khamr and it is haraam to take it.

If the percentage of alcohol is very low and it does not intoxicate, then it is permissible to take it.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110):

It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Muhammad
09-28-2005, 05:10 PM

Seeing as the topic of the thread miraculously changed from discussing the proportions of alcohol in products to what is haram and what isn't, I thought it would be best if split up the thread.

Find the discussion oh Haram and Halal Here.

I have also changed the titles of the threads to make them more comprehensive as to what they discuss.

TEH
09-28-2005, 05:39 PM
But if the other is closed, how do I post my reply from Macdonalds when it comes???

:)

TEH
09-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey, if they say that they do slaughter their meat and chicken, im still not eating there...

baby_muslimah15
09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
Hey, if they say that they do slaughter their meat and chicken, im still not eating there...

Ok thats on you...I see no fault upon you

minaz
09-28-2005, 06:25 PM
can a mod or someone just post an underlying statement saying, it's not advisable to take listerine as there are alternatives and that any life (meat) taken without permission from Allah (dua) is haraam. Because this thread and the other one are getting pretty silly now.

Safeena
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
could you use anything with cetyl alcohol?

thahira
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Salam

Well well I didn't know that mouthwash could also pose a prob for Haram and Halal. Well By reading some posts, ya If the product is not intoxicating then probably it's not Haram. Well me better go look for something which is non alcohol....:phew

scentsofjannah
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
subhanallah why are there all these threads? and besides someone (knowledgable) can give an answer and then you should closethe thread immediately..theres no need for a discussion about it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.