aamirsaab
01-11-2005, 03:51 PM
discussions about the following topics:
*aliens (do they exist or not)
*Dinosaurs (did they exist or not)
*ghosts
*More to be added depending on the success of this thread

ill start off with aliens
in the quran it does not state that they exist. similarly, it does not state that they dont and so it is left to us as individuals to decide. personally i think that they might exist - as far as scientific research can tell us there are many hundreds of planets in our solar system. there are probably a significant amount of galaxies as well. i doubt that earth is the only inhibited planet.
so i dont doubt that aliens exist - maybe as bacteria or maybe as life forms such as ourselfs.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khaldun
01-11-2005, 11:18 PM
:sl:

in the quran it does not state that they exist. similarly, it does not state that they dont and so it is left to us as individuals to decide. personally i think that they might exist
lol brother aamir you made me laugh soo much JazzakAllah :)...no seriously one intresteing thing to note is that, Allah states the creation of Adam and Eve in Jannah right, and once they ate of the forbidden tree then they got thrown down to the earth...NOTE the earth was already created and most probably (Allahu 'Alm) populated with animals, just a thought then...whilst Adam and Eve spent there time in Jannah who knows what creatures roomed the earth?? Just a personal thought...harunyahya, has some intresting articles about stuff like that i believe, might be worth checkin some off them out....

aamirsaab
01-12-2005, 04:46 PM
lol .

please provide the link so i can check em out :D

p.s my first message was not intended to be a joke but if people are laffing at it i dont mind :D

root
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Yes - Alien life forms.
Yes - Dinosaurs
No - Ghosts

I don't think it was funny....

:-)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
01-12-2005, 08:02 PM
LOL k

why do u say no to ghosts?
just out of interested is all (there is no right or wrong answer lol - im just interested in peoples reasons)

Muezzin
06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
*ghosts
*More to be added depending on the success of this thread

ill start off with aliens
in the quran it does not state that they exist. similarly, it does not state that they dont and so it is left to us as individuals to decide. personally i think that they might exist - as far as scientific research can tell us there are many hundreds of planets in our solar system. there are probably a significant amount of galaxies as well. i doubt that earth is the only inhibited planet.
so i dont doubt that aliens exist - maybe as bacteria or maybe as life forms such as ourselfs.
*slaps Aamirsaab's head* Who taught you Physics, man?! There are only nine planets in our solar system! There are countless planets throughout the entire universe but not in our solar system. That's crazy-talk man!

About whether they exist or not - Dinosaurs, I'm thinking, the Quran tells us there were creatures on Earth before prophet Adam, and science also tells us that dinosaurs existed before man. So why not? They're too cool to be fictional.

Aliens - I don't know, but probability tells us that yeah, probably. It doesn't make me any less of a Muslim - who knows how many creations Allah has? There are also some schools of thought which surmise that 'flying saucers' might actually be angels. Which is an intriguing thought to say the least.

Ghosts - as in 'spirits of dead people', nope. As in 'invisible creatures' aka Jinn, yes.

Bittersteel
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
About whether they exist or not - Dinosaurs, I'm thinking, the Quran tells us there were creatures on Earth before prophet Adam, and science also tells us that dinosaurs existed before man. So why not? They're too cool to be fictional.
which verses state that?

"Wasn’t there a long period of time before humans were even mentioned?" (76:1)

are there verses which indicate the existance of pre-historic creatures?

Muezzin
07-12-2005, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Aziz
which verses state that?

"Wasn’t there a long period of time before humans were even mentioned?" (76:1)

are there verses which indicate the existance of pre-historic creatures?
Er... I don't know offhand.

I remember reading somewhere that the Earth existed before Prophet Adam lived on it, and that there were already creatures there.

Bittersteel
07-13-2005, 06:43 AM
oh its ok.

Preacher
07-13-2005, 07:25 AM

I like folks here to elaborate the term "Alien/s" as to what is thier understanding of it? Do you think it is something like ET? Because the word "Alien" does not connotes to anything specific, as we read in the Dictionary:

a·li·en (³“l¶-…n, ³l“y…n) adj. 1. Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents. 2. Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign. 3. Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament. See Synonyms at extrinsic. --a·li·en n. 1. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen. 2. A person from another and very different family, people, or place. 3. A person who is not included in a group; an outsider. 4. A creature from outer space: science fiction about an invasion of aliens. 5. Ecology. A plant or an animal that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native. --a·li·en tr.v. a·li·ened, a·li·en·ing, a·li·ens. Law. To transfer (property) to another; alienate. [Middle English, from Old French, from Latin ali¶nus, from alius, other. See al-1 below.]
————————————————� �———
al-1. Important derivatives are: alarm, alert, ultimate, ultra- , alternate, adulterate, other, else, alien, alibi, parallel.
al-1. Beyond. 1. Variant *ol-, “beyond.” a. Suffixed forms *ol-se-, *ol-so-. ALARM, ALERT, ALLIGATOR, EL NIñO, VOILà, from Latin ille (feminine illa, neuter illud), “yonder,” that, from Old Latin ollus; b. suffixed forms *ol-s, *ol-tero-. OUTRé, ULTERIOR, ULTIMATE, ULTRA-, UTTERANCE2, from Latin uls, *ulter, ultr³, beyond. 2. Suffixed form *al-tero-, “other of two.” a. ALTER, ALTERCATE, ALTERNATE, ALTRUISM; SUBALTERN, from Latin alter, other, other of two; b. ADULTERATE, (ADULTERINE), (ADULTERY), from Latin adulter³re, to commit adultery with, pollute, probably from the phrase ad alterum, “(approaching) another (unlawfully)” (ad-, to; see ad-); c. variant suffixed form *an-tero-, “other (of two).” OTHER, from Old English ½ther, other, from Germanic *antharaz. 3. Extended form *alyo-, “other of more than two.” a. ELSE; ELDRITCH, from Old English el-, elles, else, otherwise, from Germanic *aljaz (with adverbial suffix); b. ALIAS, ALIEN; ALIBI, ALIQUOT, HIDALGO, from Latin alius, other of more than two; c. ALLO-; ALLEGORY, ALLELOMORPH, ALLELOPATHY, MORPHALLAXIS, PARALLAX, PARALLEL, TROPHALLAXIS, from Greek allos, other. [Pokorny 1. al- 24, 2. an- 37.]
Thus, unless we define the "Alien" and agree upon that, we cannot offer conclusive opinions.

On top of my head I can point out few things from Qur'an and Islamic belief.

1. Qur'an 1:2 reads, All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
So the key phrase is رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

2. Jinns/Devils= extraterrestrial (IMO)

3. On the issue of Adam (AS) he was not kicked out or thrown out from Paradise. We read in the Glorious Qur’aan 2:33 that Allaah (SWT) decided to create Adam عليه السلام and to make him His deputy on the earth (spoke of it to the angels). The Glorious Qur’aan says that Satan brought them (Adam and Hawwa {AS}) of the state they had been living. In fact, they were brought out under a divine command, since Satan served as a means and/or intermediary; the action has been attributed to him (Satan). We must understand that the words of the Glorious Qur’aan do not in the least imply that Satan had any power whatsoever to act on his own.

:w:
Preacher

Muezzin
07-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Very informative post, brother Preacher.

So were there in fact creatures on Earth before Prophet Adam (AS) lived here?

Bittersteel
07-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted in Another forum

One afternoon a dozen people and myself observed an object in a clear sky. It was the size of 2 18-wheelers placed end-to-end. It made absolutely no sound. It was about 1 mile away. It moves in ways that a helicopter cannot. We watched it for about 5 or 6 minutes before it went straight up and completely out of sight - about 50,000 feet straight up after hovering and moving slowly this way and then that way. It was astounding. None of us could believe what we were seeing.
well what doyou guys think?He is not the only one claiming to have seen UFOs.

root
07-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi Preacher:

Preacher - ET? Because the word "Alien" does not connotes to anything specific, as we read in the Dictionary:

Thus, unless we define the "Alien" and agree upon that, we cannot offer conclusive opinions.
I think ET as opposed to alien should be agreed on. Though "life" might not exactly fit ET's version. But simple microbial life or Multi-cellular life are all more possible than improbable, and nothing more than a "discovery waiting to happen".

Most evidence is just "hog-wash". What I think is why do we associate them with "visitors from another planet", why they could equally be "Time travellers" from our future. The fact we think "Alin visitors" is enough for me anyway to discount them, (well. Most of them)!!!!

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-14-2005, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
*slaps Aamirsaab's head* Who taught you Physics, man?! There are only nine planets in our solar system! There are countless planets throughout the entire universe but not in our solar system. That's crazy-talk man!
:sl: Well it depends how you define a planet. Currrently there is no agreed upon definition, so technically we can't say for sure how many planets there are! :D

Muezzin
07-14-2005, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
:sl: Well it depends how you define a planet. Currrently there is no agreed upon definition, so technically we can't say for sure how many planets there are! :D

The nine confirmed planets that we are taught in school then, including Pluto (who some argue is Neptune's moon or something, I forget).

I don't count that tenth planet malarkey :p

Root, don't get me started on time-travel paradoxes, whoo boy.

Well, a UFO in and of itself is not necessarily of extraterrestrial origin. It's simply an unidentified flying object, which will most likely eventually be identified. The oft-used example of the stealth bomber is a good illustration of this: people realized they hadn't seen extra-terrestrial technology at all, just advanced human technology.

Bittersteel
07-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I am confused about a thing.The Quran says that there are 11 planets in our system doesn't it?

Muezzin
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I am confused about a thing.The Quran says that there are 11 planets in our system doesn't it?
Does it? :confused:

Bittersteel
07-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Read something like that somewhere.I could be wrong tho like always.......

jama
07-15-2005, 01:41 AM
aliens-jinns
ghosts-jinns
dinosaurs-did exist

Bittersteel
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
homonids?

Z
07-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Just thought I'd share two verses with you fellows.

"And among His signs is the creation of the heavens and the living creatures He has scattered through them." [42:29]

"The seven heavens and the earth, and beings therein, declare his glory." [17:44]

Allahu Alim.

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
The nine confirmed planets that we are taught in school then, including Pluto (who some argue is Neptune's moon or something, I forget).
I think this article elaborates on what I mentioned:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_planet

Bittersteel
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
there are 11 planets in the Solar System as stated in the Quran.We know the first 9.What are the last two?

root
07-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Muezzin - Root, don't get me started on time-travel paradoxes, whoo boy.
I will bear it in mind. I was simply stating that people jump quickly to alien's when faced with a UFO. I merely say that it could equally be just a cellestrial time traveller or a time traveller from our future. Since the two Aliens v Time travellers have an equal probability however remote it is.

Bittersteel
07-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Since the two Aliens v Time travellers have an equal probability however remote it is.
I kinda agree with you on this one.Its possible.

Muezzin
07-21-2005, 09:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
I will bear it in mind. I was simply stating that people jump quickly to alien's when faced with a UFO. I merely say that it could equally be just a cellestrial time traveller or a time traveller from our future. Since the two Aliens v Time travellers have an equal probability however remote it is.
I see your point. You're kind of Fortean in your thinking ;) :)

Mainul_Islam
09-22-2005, 10:41 PM

the following link is pretty interesting:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/dinosaurs.htm

azim
09-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Quran. 11 Planets? Could someone please post the Surah and Verse it's mentioned in because this is the first time I've heard of it.

Mainul_Islam
09-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

11 planets? I thought the translation was 12 stars. (maybe look in Surah #12 Yusuf)

but i wouldnt say the 11/12 planets are wrong.. i've read in Discovery Magazine that 2 or 3 new planets have been recently discovered

Mainul_Islam
09-23-2005, 11:03 PM
[Quran 12:4] (Remember) when Yûsuf (Joseph) said to his father: "O my father! Verily, I saw (in a dream) eleven stars and the sun and the moon, I saw them prostrating themselves to me."

azim
09-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Subhanalla. Jazakhallah khairal for telling me that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4730061.stm

Well we got 10 now-ish, but apparently Pluto is no longer considered a planet, so we're back down to 9, so right back where we started.

Zuko
09-25-2005, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by from Abdul Aziz who quoted it from a post on another forum
One afternoon a dozen people and myself observed an object in a clear sky. It was the size of 2 18-wheelers placed end-to-end. It made absolutely no sound. It was about 1 mile away. It moves in ways that a helicopter cannot. We watched it for about 5 or 6 minutes before it went straight up and completely out of sight - about 50,000 feet straight up after hovering and moving slowly this way and then that way. It was astounding. None of us could believe what we were seeing.
This reminds me of Big Foot... Tons of people were so convinced there was such a thing as big foot... In the end it turned out to be a weirdo and his son who thought it was fun making false over-sized monkey footprints in the mud... Pretty depressing show it was on t.v, had to throw out all of my big foot posters, costumes and cancel my Big Foot Scouts membership... :-\

I still hope the loch-ness monster is out there... :p

Mainul_Islam
09-25-2005, 12:10 AM
what are you talking about?? Big Foot is real! and he's actually a friend of mine...

lol one of my friend's nickname is "Big Foot" cuz his feet are quite large.. and he's pretty tall too

Zuko
09-25-2005, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mainul_Islam
what are you talking about?? Big Foot is real! and he's actually a friend of mine...
:omg: No way...:omg:

:p
Personally I think all of this talk of aliens is annoying and pointless... But dinosaurs, that's interesting... Alot of people say they were jinns...

Spinosaurus aegypticus is one cool lizard man... :shade:

nishom
10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Do you believe in aliens????

I know that Allah Almighty created seven worlds, so theres gonna be more creation.

Is it possible that aliens or beings from a different world can visit our Earth????

Is there anything about such existence beyond our planet in the Hadith/Quran?????

Muezzin
10-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Threads merged. Please run a quick search before making a new thread.

And while you're at it, get us a chip butty, ta.

Salmaan
10-27-2006, 01:45 PM

There is nothing in Islam specifically mentioning, by name, the Bermuda triangle, dinosaurs, asteroids, extra-terrestrials, etc, but their existence doesn't contradict with any of the Islamic teachings. As you know, the Qur'an is not a scientific and cultural book recording historical events and describing animals or other creatures. Rather, it is a book of guidance and advice that takes people from darkness and ignorance toward knowledge, enlightenment and faith. Still, the Qur'an has dealt with many subjects such as astronomy, geology, and the world of jinn etc. However, the objective behind mentioning such facts is to show that Allah has the Will and Power to create anything He wants for people to reflect on His Greatness. In this respect the Qur'an should not be considered as a scientific or academic guidebook. While the dinosaur and other natural phenomena and creatures are not specifically mentioned in the Qur'an, Allah states in the Qur'an in Surah Al-Anbiya' (The Prophets)(21) verse 16: 'We didn't create the heavens and the earth and all that is between them for a (mere) play'. Therefore, their existence must have an important role in the development and evolution of our world and the entire universe. In addition, famous interpreters of the Qur'an, such as al-Allousi (died in 1850 a.d.) state that there are several verses that may support the idea (it is yet to become mainstream knowledge) of the existence of other beings and creatures outside the earth. Among these verses are: Surah an-Nahl (16) verse 8: "And (He has created) horses, mules, and donkeys, for you to ride and use for show; and He has created (other) things of which ye have no knowledge.". Al-Allousi comments in 14/102-103 that the disbelievers are not better than the believers who have no doubts about the existence of creations of God that we (humans) don't know about (but which we believe in their existence). Another verse is in Surah Ta-Ha (20) verse 6: "To Him belongs what is in the heavens and on earth, and all between them, and all beneath the soil.". Al-Allousi further says (16/161) that what is "between them" are the creatures in the air and the clouds (that is: above humans) that we don't know about. A third verse is in Surah ash-Shoura (42) verse 29: "And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills." Here, al-Allousi further explains that it is not unlikely that creatures in the entire heavens do exist with different shapes and looks. Having stated this, it is always important to understand that these verses are not specific proofs of the existence of Extra-terrestrials, but if scientific evidence proves their existence, then, they would be totally in line with Islamic teachings. Please note that a verse in the Qur'an should not be interpreted (or stretched out) with meanings beyond what it can handle.

Allah knows best.

IzakHalevas
10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Well it depends how you define a planet. Currrently there is no agreed upon definition, so technically we can't say for sure how many planets there are!
The International Astronomical Union (IAU), the official scientific body for astronomical nomenclature, currently defines "planet" as a celestial body that, within the Solar System:

http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.ia...603/index.html
  • (a) is in orbit around the Sun;
  • (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape; and
  • (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit;
or within another system,
  • (i) is in orbit around a star or stellar remnants;
  • (ii) has a mass below the limiting mass for thermonuclear fusion of deuterium; and
  • (iii) is above the minimum mass/size requirement for planetary status in the Solar System.
http://www.dtm.ciw.edu/boss/definition.html

Therefore our solar system is thus considered to have eight planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Even though many think there is no "definition" to a planet, there really is a definition to one which is basically the above, and consensus of the leading experts.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-27-2006, 03:58 PM
seeing as Allah swt revealed the existence of jinn to us i see no reason as to why if they exist Allah would reveal their existence.

just my thought, i dont kno if they exist or not, dont kno much bout space neway :D

Woodrow
10-27-2006, 04:20 PM
My own belief is that are are countless planets orbiting countless stars throughout the Universe. I believe that most probably there is life and even sapient life forms on some of them.

However, our chances of making anytype of contact with them is very small using the current techology we have. The distances are tremendous. I would doubt if there is any intelligent life within 100 light years distance from us. Any radio communication we ever get is going to be at least 100 years old by the time we get it.

I often think that if some where out in the universe there is sombody trying to pick up radio signals from Earth. Hard to believe the first communications they get from us will probably be the old "Fibber Magee and Molly" show. I guess that may make them decide there is no intelligent life on earth.

Fishman
10-27-2006, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
there are 11 planets in the Solar System as stated in the Quran.We know the first 9.What are the last two?
If Yusuf was on Earth when he saw that, there are twelve planets. Which kind of fits with the malarkey that's been going on lately...

the following link is pretty interesting:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/dinosaurs.htm
I wouldn't take Answering-Christianity very seriously. Lots of things there are written without knowledge. That doesn't mean I disagree with that article though. It's just a general warning.

Salmaan
10-27-2006, 05:29 PM
^^^ in some translations of the Qur'an....it is NOT 11 planets.....but 11 stars which Prophet Yusuf 'alayhis-salaam saw in his dream

Salmaan
10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
English (Yusuf Ali):

12:4 Behold! Joseph said to his father: "O my father! I did see eleven stars and the sun and the moon: I saw them prostrate themselves to me!"

Fishman
10-27-2006, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan
English (Yusuf Ali):

12:4 Behold! Joseph said to his father: "O my father! I did see eleven stars and the sun and the moon: I saw them prostrate themselves to me!"
Some translations use planets instead of stars...

Salmaan
10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
yes....this means that there is no point in debating that the Qur'an says that there are 11 planets.....because according to some translations it is stars and NOT planets....

Muezzin
10-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Perhaps some people are taking things out of context. Some freaky-deaky things happened in the Pharaoh's dream in Surah Yusuf, too, but they weren't literal representations of what was actually going to happen.

Count DeSheep
11-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Meska am be are is sorry for my absence. =( My computer no-no work, you see. I'm using another person's computer now. XP

Anyway! What do you guys think the paranormal is are be? What do you consider things like precognition, remote viewing, and psychokinesis to be? And what about creatures whose existence has yet to be proven to the masses, like the yeti, sasquatch, and so on? Just a random thought.

Again, me am are is sorry for the long absence. Me shall become more active! =D

strider
11-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Allahu Alim.

JanatAllah
11-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I don't know either, but I like your member name! ;D

Oh and I like the "am be are is"! If in doubt use them all!!!! (I'm not making fun of you)

Count DeSheep
11-18-2006, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Allahu Alim.

Uh...No ablo Espanole, K Pedro? XD

JanatAllah
11-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Allahu Alim means Allah knows (It's arabic not spanish!).... you say it when you're not absolutely sure of something but in all cases Allah knows best!

strider
11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Uh...No ablo Espanole, K Pedro? XD
Spanish? I don't understand.imsad

Count DeSheep
11-18-2006, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Spanish? I don't understand.imsad
It's a joke. Just my way of pointing out that westerners have a blurred view of other cultures. XP

And yes, I KNOW that Allah knows! Everyone knows that, 'cause Allah is...yeah! Allah is Allah, enough said. But I wanna know what your personal opinions are. Are they just mass hysteria? Are E.T.'s real? If so, are they the devil or are they also Allah's creatures?

Muezzin
11-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Threads merged.

Count DeSheep
11-18-2006, 11:12 PM
*ghosts .
Aliens: There have been numerous sitings of them coming across the Mexico-U.S. border. They do exist

Dinosaurs: In the KJV of the Holy Bible, it says that God made the creatures that we know today: cattle, whales, fishes, etc. These didn't exist in the "time" of the dinosaurs. The Bible also states that God made man, then after a while, made woman. This makes me think that dinosaurs, evolution (to the shmarty-pontses like me, you KNOW what kind of evolution I mean), and fossils are just...yeah. Intelligent design.

Ghosts: Serious time. XP I think that they do. In the east, isn't there a strong belief in them? As in China, Japan, blah...Ancestor worship. Those kindsa things. There must be something to merit these beliefs, ya? Just a thought...not a whole lot of thought behind it, though. XD

IbnAbdulHakim
11-19-2006, 03:03 AM
aliens - Allahu allam , could exist

dinosaurs - im sure if humans were 60 foot tall at a time then perhaps creatures were huge aswell

ghosts - jinns

:salamext:

Younus
11-19-2006, 06:43 AM
There is nothing in Islam specifically mentioning, by name, the Bermuda triangle, dinosaurs, asteroids, extra-terrestrials, etc, but their existence doesn't contradict with any of the Islamic teachings. As you know, the Qur'an is not a scientific and cultural book recording historical events and describing animals or other creatures. Rather, it is a book of guidance and advice that takes people from darkness and ignorance toward knowledge, enlightenment and faith. Still, the Qur'an has dealt with many subjects such as astronomy, geology, and the world of jinn etc. However, the objective behind mentioning such facts is to show that Allah has the Will and Power to create anything He wants for people to reflect on His Greatness. In this respect the Qur'an should not be considered as a scientific or academic guidebook. While the dinosaur and other natural phenomena and creatures are not specifically mentioned in the Qur'an, Allah states in the Qur'an in Surah Al-Anbiya' (The Prophets)(21) verse 16: 'We didn't create the heavens and the earth and all that is between them for a (mere) play'. Therefore, their existence must have an important role in the development and evolution of our world and the entire universe. In addition, famous interpreters of the Qur'an, such as al-Allousi (died in 1850 a.d.) state that there are several verses that may support the idea (it is yet to become mainstream knowledge) of the existence of other beings and creatures outside the earth. Among these verses are: Surah an-Nahl (16) verse 8: "And (He has created) horses, mules, and donkeys, for you to ride and use for show; and He has created (other) things of which ye have no knowledge.". Al-Allousi comments in 14/102-103 that the disbelievers are not better than the believers who have no doubts about the existence of creations of God that we (humans) don't know about (but which we believe in their existence). Another verse is in Surah Ta-Ha (20) verse 6: "To Him belongs what is in the heavens and on earth, and all between them, and all beneath the soil.". Al-Allousi further says (16/161) that what is "between them" are the creatures in the air and the clouds (that is: above humans) that we don't know about. A third verse is in Surah ash-Shoura (42) verse 29: "And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills." Here, al-Allousi further explains that it is not unlikely that creatures in the entire heavens do exist with different shapes and looks. Having stated this, it is always important to understand that these verses are not specific proofs of the existence of Extra-terrestrials, but if scientific evidence proves their existence, then, they would be totally in line with Islamic teachings. Please note that a verse in the Qur'an should not be interpreted (or stretched out) with meanings beyond what it can handle.

Allah knows best.

Muezzin
11-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Good post, Younus.

I don't understand people who insist that dinosaurs didn't exist. I mean, how can you deny the existence of such cool animals? :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.