/* */

PDA

View Full Version : zakaat ~ one of the 5 pillars of Islam

Protected_Diamond
10-02-2005, 11:34 AM
asalamualykum warahmatulahi wabarakathu

brothers and sisters i hope you all are in good health ameen!!

I was reading a book abt zakaat last night and it stated that every muslim woman should pay zakaat on her GOLD jewelllery also the property of the house she/he lives in 2 purify the property and to clean it 4rom all evil e.g a tide comming in and washing thier house away...etc There are loads of other situations in which you have to pay zakaat...i jus wanted to know at what age do we need 2 pay zakaat? and how much do we need 2 pay?

btw mum has brought me these gold earings and ma grandma has brought me a godl ring..ive been wearing it 4 like 2 years naw...will i need 2 pay zakaat on these items?

jazahka Allah in advance...may Allah s.w.a be pleased wid u and grant you all jannat ameen!!

walakumasalaam warhmatulahi wabarkathu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
10-02-2005, 12:00 PM
wa 'alykum asalam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

first of all sis - a muslim has to pay zakaat by the time they reach puberty.. they have to pay 2.5% of their total years wealth and yeh that includes the gold and silver too.

but in most families and probably even yours - the dad normally pays all the zakaah for the family inc. the price of the daughters and wifes gold and silver etc. so right now if your dad is doing that (which he probably is insha Allah) then it isnt faradh on you to pay yet insha Allah.

i need to get some more info. on it and if any brothers or sisters know anythin with a relaible source or with a fatwa - that would be really beneficial. barak Allah u feekum.

Allah (swt) knows best.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Protected_Diamond
10-02-2005, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
wa 'alykum asalam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

first of all sis - a muslim has to pay zakaat by the time they reach puberty.. they have to pay 2.5% of their total years wealth and yeh that includes the gold and silver too.

but in most families and probably even yours - the dad normally pays all the zakaah for the family inc. the price of the daughters and wifes gold and silver etc. so right now if your dad is doing that (which he probably is insha Allah) then it isnt faradh on you to pay yet insha Allah.

i need to get some more info. on it and if any brothers or sisters know anythin with a relaible source or with a fatwa - that would be really beneficial. barak Allah u feekum.

Allah (swt) knows best.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
Asalamualykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

jazahka Allah 4 replying bak bro...well i'll ask dad 2 make sure init coz the punishment 4 not paying zakaat on yo jewellery iz really bad...juss imagine you've got a ring that you wear and you havent paid zakaat on that item then (astaghfirullah hope this never happens 2 any muslim brother or sister) the ring will turn in2 fire and you will be punished accordingly...

walakumasalaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

Lina
10-02-2005, 01:55 PM
:sl:

Zakaat is obligatory upon a person if :

· He or she is an adult, sane, free and Muslim.

· He/she must possess wealth in excess of specified minimum (Nisaab) excluding his or her personal needs (clothing, household furniture, utensils, cars etc. are termed article of personal needs).

· It should be possessed for a complete lunar year.

· It should be of productive nature from which one can derive profit or benefit such as merchandise for business, gold, silver, livestock etc.

The amount of wealth which makes one liable for Zakaat is called Nisaab. The Nisaab as fixed by Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wassallam) is as follows:

Grams Tolas Grains Troy Oz.
GOLD: 87.48 7.5 1350 2.8125
SILVER: 612.36 52.5 9450 19.6875

Nisaab of cash, stock or bonds, other cash assets is the equivalent amount of Gold or Silver. Nisaab is calculated by adding up the cash value of all the assets such as gold, silver, currency etc. and if it is equal to or in excess of the minimum Nisaab as specified in the above table, the Zakaat is due at the rate of 2.5% .

The payment of Zakaat is compulsory on the excess wealth or effects which is equal to or exceeds the value of Nisaab, and which is possessed for a full Islamic year. If such wealth decreases during the course of the year and increases again to the value of Nisaab before the end of the year, the Zakaat then must be calculated on the full amount that is possessed at the end of the year.

The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, "…wealth is (like) green and sweet (fruit), and whoever takes it without greed, God will bless it for him, but whoever takes it with greed…will be like someone who eats but is never satisfied…The upper (giving) hand is better than the lower (receiving) hand."

"The parable of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is that of a grain of corn. It grows seven ears and each ear has hundred grains. Allah increases manifold to whom He pleases." (Qur'an 2:261)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lina
10-02-2005, 02:05 PM
[A bit off-topic]

This brings me to my question; Does any of you have a charitable trust which you support? (give Zakaat to?)

:w:

Protected_Diamond
10-03-2005, 05:53 AM
asalamualykum warhmatulahi wabarakathu

jazahka Allah sis 4 going in2 detail may Allah s.w.a be pleased wid u

walakumasalaam warhmatulahi wabarakthu

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.