/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What The Prophet did in Sajdah...

Zuko
10-02-2005, 03:53 PM
What The Prophet did in Sajdah

Abdul Malik Mujahid

"I happened to pray one night with the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him. The Prophet started reciting al-Baqarah chapter of the Quran and I thought he would stop after 100 verses.

But when he went beyond it I thought that he may want to recite the whole chapter in one Rakah.

When he finished al-Baqarah I thought he would do Ruku but then he immediately started reciting al-Imran and when he finished he started reciting an-Nisa.

The Prophet was reciting very slowly with enough pauses and would do Tasbih (praising God) and Dua (supplication) according to the subject being discussed in the relevant Ayah.

After that the Prophet did Ruku (bowing). In Ruku he stayed as long as he did when he was in Qiyam (standing in prayer). After Ruku he stood up for almost same time and then he performed Sajdah (prostration) and stayed there as long as he recited Quran while doing Qiyam". (Hudaifa, may God be pleased with him, narrated this hadith as in Sahih al Muslim, Nasai)

Of course, not all the Prayers of the Prophet were this long. In public he would pray for a shorter period of time and ask other imams to do the same. The Prophet use to make dua in Sajdah not just tasbeeh as we do in obligatory prayers. He used to cry in Sajdah. He would spend an extended amount of his time in Sajdah whenever he was praying on his own. Many times, however, Muslims would join him when they found him praying alone.

Aisha, may God be pleased with her, mentions that: the Prophet one night stood up for Salah and he stayed in it for so long that I thought the Prophet had passed away or died. When I felt that way I stood up shook his toe and I felt the movement then I laid down again and I heard the Prophet saying in Sajdah "I seek refuge in Your pleasure from Your wrath, and in Your pardon from Your punishment, and in You from You. I cannot enumerate Your praises as You praise Yourself." (Transliteration: Audhu bi ridaka min sakhatika, wa bi muafatika min uqubatika wa bika minka, la uhsiy thana'an alayka, anta kama athnayta ala nafsika).

When he stood up from the Sajdah he asked Aisha, "do you think God's Prophet has betrayed you?" Aisha responded "No Preophet of God, because of the long Sajdah I thought you had died." (hadith from Baihaqi but Dua wording from Muwatta Imam Malik)

One of the Prophet's companion, Abdullah ibn Zubayr, would pray with such concentration that when he was in Sajdah the sparrows would come flying and sit on his back. In a separate narration, Abdullah ibn Abbas, another companion, said if you want to see how the Prophet of God used to pray, you should copy how Abdullah ibn Zubayr used to pray.

And consider these two Hadiths from the Sahih Muslim:

Ma'dan b. Talha reported: I met Thauban, the freed slave of God's Messenger, and asked him to tell me about an act for which, if I do it, God will admit me to Paradise, or I asked about the act which was loved most by God. He gave no reply. I again asked and he gave no reply. I asked him for the third time, and he said: I asked God's Messenger about that and he said: Make frequent prostrations before God, for you will not make one prostration without raising you a degree because of it, and removing a sin from you, because of it. Ma'dan said that then he met Abu al-Darda' and when he asked him, he received a reply similar to that given by Thauban.

In the second Hadith, Rabi'a b. Ka'b said: I was with God's Messenger one night and I brought him water and what he required. He said to me: Ask (anything you like). I said: I ask your company in Paradise. He (the Prophet) said: Or anything else besides it. I said: That is all (what I require). He said: Then help me to achieve this for you by devoting yourself often to prostration.

Sajdah is truly a humbling experience. We can beg for God's forgiveness and cry by thinking about our misdeeds, as well as seek refuge in God from the Hellfire. We are in one of the most submissive physical positions when in Sajdah. It is one of the best occasions to ask God for forgiveness, guidance, and all that we want. It is one of the best positions in which to talk to God. Seeking God's pleasure and forgiveness need to be given top priority in these remaining days and nights of Ramadan.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-02-2005, 04:24 PM
:sl:

Awesome post sis, Jazakallah Khair.

:w:

- Qatada -
10-02-2005, 05:41 PM
subhan Allah! masha Allah! please post more like this if you can.. barak Allah u feeki. jazak Allah khayr.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Beblessed
10-02-2005, 05:44 PM
gr8 post sis jazaka'Allah khair for sharing it with us :wilted_ro

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aytekin1
10-09-2005, 06:06 AM
salam alaikum

thanyou for sharing this with us

Allahu_Akbar
10-09-2005, 02:16 PM
:sl: jazakAllah sister thanks for sharing that post.if you have more plz post them :wilted_ro :) happy ramadan ,5th day of ramadan :D pray tarawih at the:Mosque: read the :Koran: have :awesome: ramadan

islam
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
jazak Allah khair, thanks sister for sharing us with the way the prophet SAS prayed

Salema
10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Jazakallah Khair.

Mahmud
10-12-2005, 12:47 AM
jazakumullahul-khair..!

Salema
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
jazakumullahul-khair..!

Noor
10-12-2005, 05:16 AM

What an important reminder! JazakAllah Khair, dear sister.

I've witness plenty of times that ppl rush out from the sajdah position, racing with time while praying. Its truly a sad sight to see. We all need to take time when praying, as if praying our last prayer.

May Allah SWT make us patient in Salaat.
Ameen.

Khayal
01-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Jazaak ALLAH khayr.

sur
02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
They say we can't offer Nawafil after Asr & Fajr prayers!!!!!!:-

Sahih Muslim:4:1814:-
'Aisha said that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not abandon observing two rak'ahs after 'Asr, but she reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Do not get used to observe prayer at the time of the rising sun and at the time of its setting and (exhorted the Muslims) to pray at their times.

Muslim:4:1816.
Abu Salama asked 'Aisha about the two prostrations (i.e. rak'ahs) which the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) made after the 'Asr. She said: He (the Holy Prophet) observed them before the 'Asr prayer, but then he was hindered to do so(SM:4:1815 mention that how he was hindered to offer 2 rakah before Asr), or he forgot them and then he observed them after the 'Asr, and then he continued observing them. (It was his habit) that when he (the Holy Prophet) observed prayer, he then continued observing it. Isma'il said: It implies that he always did that.

4:1817.
'Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not abandon at all observing two rak'ahs after the 'Asr in my house.

4:1818.'Aisha reported: Two are the prayers which the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) always observed in my house-openly or secretly-two rak'ahs before the dawn and two rak'ahs after the 'Asr.

4:1819.
Aswad and Masruq reported: We bear testimony to the fact that 'Aisha said: Never was there a day that he (the Holy Prophet) was with me and he did not observe two rak'ahs of prayer in my house, i.e. two rak'ahs after the Asr.

4:1820.
------------------------------
Chapter : Do not get into the habit of observing prayer at the time of the (during)rising sun and at the time of its setting.

Mukhtar b. Fulful said: I asked Anas b. Malik about the voluntary prayers after the afternoon(Asr) prayer, and he replied: 'Umar struck hit hands on prayer observed after the 'Asr prayer and we used to observe two rak'ahs after the sun set before the evening prayer during the time of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him). I said to him: Did the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observe them? He said: He saw us observing them, but he neither commanded us nor forbade us to do so.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Actually Prophet forbade Nawafil while sun has already started to set or rise & yet NOT completely drowned or risen. Some Ahadees use very clear words on it:-
Bukhari:10:557
Allah's Apostle said, 'Do not pray at the time of sunrise and at the time of sunset.' " Ibn 'Umar said, "Allah's Apostle said, 'If the edge of the sun appears (above the horizon) delay the prayer till it becomes high, and if the edge of the sun disappears, delay the prayer till it sets (disappears completely).' "

while other Ahadees use words like "don't offer prayer after Asr till sun sets & Fajr till sun rises" which actually refer to time after Asr when sun has started to dip in horizon & after Fajr when sun has started to come out of horizan. BUT ppl mis-took it as if Prophet was saying NO prayer after Asr while sun is still out...... like following Hadees

Bukhari:10:555:-
The Prophet forbade praying after the Fajr prayer till the sun rises and after the 'Asr prayer till the sun sets."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.