/* */

PDA

View Full Version : !* Ahdeeth On Ramadhan & Eid *!

Khayal
10-04-2005, 06:28 PM
:rose: :rose:Hadeeth On Ramadhan & Eid :rose: :rose:
Alharamain Foundation

The Obligation Of Fasting In Ramadhan And Its Benefits

Allah’s Messenger

said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles): To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah’s Apostle. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity). To perform Hajj (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca). To observe fasting during the month of Ramadhan.
[Al-Bukhaari]

A Bedouin came to the Prophet

and said, “Tell me of such a deed as will make me enter Paradise, if I do it.” The Prophet

said, “Worship Allah, and worship none along with Him, offer the (five) prescribed compulsory prayers perfectly, pay the compulsory Zakat, and fast the month of Ramadhan.” The Bedouin said, “By Him, in Whose Hands my life is, I will not do more than this.” When he (the Bedouin) left, the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said, “Whoever likes to see a man of Al-Jannah, then he may look at this man.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

I said to Allah’s Messenger

: Inform me about an act which would entitle me to get into Al-Jannah, and remove me away from Hell-Fire. He (the Prophet) said: You have asked me about a matter (which ostensibly appears to be) difficult but it is easy to those for whom Allah, the Exalted, has made it easy. Worship Allah and do not associate anything with him, establish prayer, pay the Zakat, observe the fast of Ramadhan and perform Hajj to the (sacred) House (Ka’bah). He again said: Should I not direct you to the gateways of good? Listen to me: The fasting is a shield against evil, the charity extinguishes (the fire of sin) just as water extinguishes fire, the prayer of a person during the middle of the night. Then he recited: ‘Who forsake their beds...(up to)....they used to do.’ Then he said: Should I not direct you to the highest level of this matter, to the pillar on which (it rests) and its top? I said: Allah’s Messenger yes (do tell me). He said: The uppermost level of the matter is Al-Islam. Its pillar is the prayer and its top is Jihaad. He then said: Should I not inform you of the sheet anchor of all this? I said: Allah’s Messenger (of course do it). He took hold of his tongue and said: Exercise restraint on it. I said: Messenger of Allah, would we be held responsible for what we say with it? Thereupon he said: Mu’adh, may your mother be bereaved. Will anything else besides (irresponsible) talk cause the people to be thrown into the Hell-Fire upon their faces or on their nostrils?
[Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah]

The Prophet

said, “Whoever believes in Allah and His Apostle, offers prayers perfectly and fasts (the month of) Ramadhan then it is incumbent upon Allah to admit him into Al-Jannah, whether he emigrates for Allah’s cause or stays in the land where he was born.” They (the companions of the Prophet) said, “O Messenger of Allah! Should we not inform the people of that?” He said, “There are one-hundred degrees in Al-Jannah which Allah has prepared for those who carry on Jihaad in His Cause. The distance between every two degrees is like the distance between the sky and the Earth, so if you ask Allah for anything, ask Him for the Firdaus, for it is the last part of Al-Jannah and the highest part of Al-Jannah, and at its top there is the Throne of The Most Beneficent, and from it gush forth the rivers of Al-Jannah.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Allah’s Messenger

said: Observe your five (daily) prayers, observe the fast during your month (Ramadhan), pay zakaat on your properties, and obey when you are commanded (by one who has the right to issue you a command); you will then enter Al-Jannah.
[Ahmad and At-Tirmidhi]

A man came to Allah’s Messenger

asking him about Islam, Allah’s Messenger said, “You have to offer five compulsory prayers in a day and a night (24 hours).” The man asked, “Is there any more compulsory prayers for me?” Allah’s Messenger said, “No, unless you like to offer Nawafil (i.e. optional prayers).” Allah’s Messenger then added, “You have to observe fasts during the month of Ramadhan.” The man said, “Am I to fast any other days?’ Allah’s Messenger said, “No, unless you wish to observe the optional fast voluntarily.” Then Allah’s Messenger told him about the compulsory Zakaah. The man asked, “Do I have to give anything besides?” Allah’s Messenger said, “No, unless you wish to give in charity voluntarily.” So, the man departed saying, “By Allah, I will neither do more nor less than that.” Allah’s Messenger said, “If he has said the truth he will be successful.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

The Prophet

said, “Whoever believes in Allah and His Messenger, offers prayer perfectly and fasts the month of Ramadhan, will rightfully be granted Al-Jannah by Allah, no matter whether he fights in Allah’s cause or remains in the land where he is born.” The people said, “O Messenger of Allah! Shall we acquaint the people with this good news?” He said, “Al-Jannah has one-hundred grades which Allah has reserved for the mujaahideen who fight in His cause, and the distance between each of two grades is like the distance between the Heaven and the earth. So, when you ask Allah (for something), ask for Al-Firdaus which is the best and highest part of Al-Jannah.” (i.e., The sub-narrator added, “I think the Prophet also said, ‘Above it (i.e. Al-Firdaus) is the Throne of The Most Beneficent (i.e. Allah), and from it originate the rivers of Al-Jannah.”)
[Al-Bukhaari]

Allah’s Messenger

said, “Whoever died and he ought to have fasted (the missed days of Ramadhan) then his guardians must fast on his behalf.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Allah’s Messenger

said, “Ramadhan, a blessed month, has come to you during which Allah has made it obligatory for you to fast. In it the gates of Heaven are opened, the gates of Al-Jaheem are locked, and the rebellious devils are chained. In it Allah has a night which is better than a thousand months. He who is deprived of its good has indeed suffered deprivation.”
[At-Tirmidhi]

Allah’s Messenger

said, “When the first night of Ramadhan comes, the devils and the rebellious jinn are chained, the gates of Hell are locked and not one of them is opened; the gates of Al-Jannah are opened and not one of them is locked; and a crier calls, ‘You who desire what is good, come forward, and you who desire evil, refrain.’ Some are freed from Hell by Allah, and that happens every night.”
[At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah, and Ahmad transmitted it. Tirmidhi said this is a ghareeb hadeeth]

Allah’s Messenger

said, “When a woman observes the five times of prayer, fasts during Ramadhan, preserves her chastity and obeys her husband, she may enter by any of the gates of Al-Jannah she wishes.”
[Al-Tirmidhi, Abu Nu’aym transmitted it in al-Hilyah]

The Prophet

said, “Whoever established prayers on the night of Qadr out of sincere faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven; and whoever fasts in the month of Ramadhan out of sincere faith, and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

The people used to fast on ‘Ashura (the tenth day of the month of Muharram) before the fasting of Ramadhan was made obligatory. And on that day the Ka’ba used to be covered with a cover. When Allah made the fasting of the month of Ramadhan compulsory, Allah’s Messenger said, “Whoever wishes to fast (on the day of ‘Ashura’) may do so; and whoever wishes to leave it can do so.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

The Fidya (Compensation) of a Man who Breaks the Fast in Ramadhan from Weakness

Yahya related to me from Malik from Abd ar-Rahman Ibn al-Qasim that his father used to say, “If someone has to make up for days not fasted in Ramadhan and does not do them before the next Ramadhan comes although he is strong enough to do so, he should feed a poor man with a mudd of wheat for every day that he has missed, and he has to fast the days he owes as well.”
[Al-Muwatta].

Sighting the New Moon for Beginning and Ending the Fast of Ramadhan

Yahya related to me from Malik from Thawr Ibn Zayd ad-Dili from Abdullah Ibn Abbaas that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), once mentioned Ramadhan and said, “Do not start the fast or break it until you see the new moon. If the new moon is obscured from you, then complete a full thirty days.”
[Al-Muwatta]
I heard Allah’s Messenger

saying, “When you see the crescent (of the month of Ramadhan), start fasting, and when you see the crescent (of the month of Shawwal), stop fasting; and if the sky is overcast (and you can’t see it) then regard the month of Ramadhan as of 30 days.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

The Reward Of Making 'Umrah In Ramadhan

I heard Ibn ‘Abbaas saying, “Allah’s Messenger asked an Ansari woman (Ibn ‘Abbaas named her but ‘Ata’ forgot her name), ‘What prevented you from performing Hajj with us?’ She replied, ‘We have a camel and the father of so-and-so and his son (i.e. her husband and her son) rode it and left one camel for us to use for irrigation.’ He said (to her), ‘Perform ‘Umra when Ramadhan comes, for ‘Umra in Ramadhan is equal to Hajj (in reward),’ or said something similar.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Increase Generosity In Ramadhan

Allah’s Messenger

was the most generous of all the people, and he used to be more generous in the month of Ramadhan when Jibreel (Gabriel) used to meet him. Jibreel used to meet him every night in Ramadhan to study the Holy Qur’aan carefully together. Allah’s Messenger used to become more generous than the fast wind when he met Jibreel.
[Al-Bukhaari]

The Basis For Making Taraweeh In Congregation

One night Allah’s Messenger

offered the prayer in the mosque and the people followed him. The next night he also offered the prayer and too many people gathered. On the third and the fourth nights more people gathered, but Allah’s Messenger did not come out to them. In the morning he said, “I saw what you were doing and nothing but the fear that it (i.e. the prayer) might be enjoined on you, stopped me from coming to you.” And that happened in the month of Ramadhan.
[Al-Bukhaari]

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Urwa Ibn Az-Zubayr from A’isha, the wife of the Prophet

that the Messenger of Allah

prayed in the mosque one night and people prayed behind him. Then he prayed the next night and there were more people. Then they gathered on the third or fourth night and the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) did not come out to them. In the morning, he said, “I saw what you were doing and the only thing that prevented me from coming out to you was that I feared that it would become obligatory (fardh) for you.” This happened in Ramadhan.
[Al-Muwatta]

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Abu Salama Ibn Abd ar-Rahman Ibn Awf from Abu Hurayra (radiallahu ‘anhum) that the Messenger of Allah

used to exhort people to watch the night in prayer in Ramadhan but never ordered it definitely. He used to say, “Whoever watches the night in prayer in Ramadhan with faith and expectancy, will be forgiven all his previous wrong actions.” Ibn Shihab said, “The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), died while that was still the custom, and it continued to be the custom in the khilaafah of Abu Bakr and at the beginning of the khilaafah of Umar Ibn al-Khattab.”
[Al-Muwatta, Ahmad, Nisaa'i’]

The Qiyaam Of The Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) In Ramadhan

That he asked ‘Aisha “How was the prayer of Allah’s Messenger in the month of Ramadhan?” She replied, “He used not to pray more than eleven Rakat whether in Ramadhan or in any other month. He used to offer four Rakaat, let alone their beauty and length, and then four Rakaat, let alone their beauty and length. Afterwards he would offer three Rakaat. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, do you go to bed before offering the Witr prayer?’ He said, ‘My eyes sleep, but my heart does not sleep.’
[Al-Bukhaari]
I heard Allah’s Messenger

saying regarding Ramadhan, “Whoever prayed at night in it (the month of Ramadhan) out of sincere faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Laylatul-Qadr

Anas told of Allah’s Messenger

saying when Ramadhan began, “This month has come to you, and it contains a night which is better than a thousand months. He who is deprived of it is deprived of all good, but only those who are denied prosperity are deprived of it.”
[Al-Tirmidhi]
Ziyad related to me from Malik from Humayd at-Tawil that ‘Anas Ibn Malik said, “The Messenger of Allah,

, came out to us in Ramadhan and said, ‘I was shown a certain night in Ramadhan and then two men abused each other and it was taken away. Look for it on the ninth and the seventh and the fifth.’"
[Al-Muwatta]
The Prophet

said, “Look for the Night of Qadr in the last ten nights of Ramadhan” on the night when nine or seven or five nights remain out of the last ten nights of Ramadhan (i.e. 21, 23, 25, respectively).
[Al-Bukhaari]

Ibn ‘Umar said, “In the lifetime of the Prophet I dreamt that a piece of silk cloth was in my hand and it flew with me to whichever part of Al-Jannah I wanted. I also saw as if two persons (i.e. angels) came to me and wanted to take me to Hell. Then an angel met us and told me not to be afraid. He then told them to leave me. Hafsa narrated one of my dreams to the Prophet and the Prophet

said, ‘Abdullah is a good man. Would that he offer the night prayer (Tahajjud)!’ So after that day ‘Abdullah (bin ‘Umar) started offering Tahajjud. The companions of the Prophet

used to tell him their dreams that (Lailat-ul-Qadr) was on the 27th of the month of Ramadhan. The Prophet

said, “I see that your dreams agree on the last ten nights of Ramadhan and so whoever is in search of it should seek it in the last ten nights of Ramadhan.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

The Prophet

said, “Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (an evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief).” Narrated ‘Ubada bin As-Samit: “Allah’s Messenger went out to inform the people about the (date of the) night of decree (Al-Qadr) but there happened a quarrel between two Muslim men. The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said, “I came out to inform you about (the date of) the night of Al-Qadr, but as so and so and so and so quarreled, its knowledge was taken away (I forgot it) and maybe it was better for you. Now look for it in the 7th, the 9th and the 5th (of the last 10 nights of the month of Ramadhan).”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Fasting while Traveling

Yahya related to me from Malik that Hisham Ibn Urwa said, “My father, Urwa, used to travel in Ramadhan, and we would travel with him, and he used to fast while we would break the fast, and he would not tell us to fast.” [Al-Muwatta]
Yahya related to me from Malik from Humayd at-Tawil that Anas Ibn Malik said, “We once traveled with the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) in Ramadhan, and those who were fasting did not find fault with those who were not, and those who were not fasting did not find fault with those who were.”
[Al-Muwatta]
Ibn Abbaas said, “Allah’s Messenger traveled in the month of Ramadhan and he fasted till he reached (a place called) ‘Usfan, then he asked for a tumbler of water and drank it by the daytime so that the people might see him. He broke his fast till he reached Mecca.” Ibn Abbaas used to say, “Allah’s Messenger fasted and sometimes did not fast while traveling, so one may fast or may not (on journeys)”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Allah’s Messenger

said, “One who fasts in Ramadhan while travelling is like one who breaks his fast when not traveling.”
[At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah]

‘Itikaaf (Seclusion In The Masjid)

Safiya (radiallahu ‘anhaa), the wife of the Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) told me that she went to Allah’s Messenger to visit him in the mosque while he was in ‘Itikaaf in the last ten days of Ramadhan. She had a talk with him for a while, then she got up in order to return home. The Prophet

accompanied her. When they reached the gate of the mosque, opposite the door of Um-Salama, two Ansari men were passing by and they greeted Allah’s Messenger

. He told them: Do not run away! And said, “She is (my wife) Safiya bint Huyai.” Both of them said, “Subhaan Allah, (How dare we think of any evil) O Messenger of Allah!” And they felt it. The Prophet

said (to them), “Satan reaches everywhere in the human body as blood reaches in it, (everywhere in one’s body). I was afraid lest Satan might insert an evil thought in your minds.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Jibreel (‘alaihi salaam) used to repeat the recitation of the Qur’an with the Prophet

once a year, but he repeated it twice with him in the year he died. The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) used to stay in I’tikaaf for ten days every year (in the month of Ramadhan), but in the year of his death, he stayed in I’tikaaf for twenty days.
[Al-Bukhaari]

Who Pays the Zakat al-Fitr

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi from Abdullah Ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah

, made the Zakat of breaking the fast at the end of Ramadhan obligatory on every Muslim, whether freeman or slave, male or female, and stipulated it as a sa’ of dates or a sa’ (approximately the volume of two handfuls) of barley.
[Al-Muwatta]

Eating Suhoor Close to Fajr

Yahya related to me from Malik that Abdullah Ibn Abi Bakr said, “I heard my father say, ‘We finished praying in Ramadhan and the servants hurried with the food, fearing the approach of dawn.’
[Al-Muwatta]

The Messenger of Allah

invited me to a meal shortly before dawn in Ramadhan saying: Come to the blessed morning meal.
[Abu-Dawood]

Protection From The Shaitan In And Out Of Ramadhan

Narrated Abu Hurairah (radiallahu ‘anhu): Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) ordered me to guard the Zakaat revenue of Ramadhan. Then somebody came to me and started stealing of the foodstuff. I caught him and said, “I will take you to Allah’s Messenger.” Then Abu Hurairah described the whole narration and said:) That person said to me, “Please don’t take me to Allah’s Messenger and I will tell you a few words by which Allah will benefit you. When you go to your bed, recite Aayat-al-Kursi, (2.255) for then there will be a guard from Allah who will protect you all night long, and Satan will not be able to come near you till dawn.” When the Prophet heard the story he said to me, “He who came to you at night told you the truth although he is a liar; and it was Satan.

Fasting Six Days Of Shawwaal

Allah’s Messenger

said: He who observed the fast of Ramadhan and then followed it with six (fasts) of Shawwaal, it would be as if he fasted perpetually.
[Al-Muwatta]

'Eid Ul-Fitr

Eating Dates Before Going To the Prayer

Allah’s Messenger

never proceeded (for the prayer) on the Day of ‘Id-ul-Fitr unless he had eaten some dates. Anas (radiallahu ‘anhu) also narrated: The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) used to eat odd number of dates.
[Al-Bukhaari]

'Eid Khutbah Is Given After The Prayer

Narrated Abu Sai’d Al-Khudri (radiallahu ‘anhu): The Prophet (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) used to proceed to the musalla on the days of Id-ul-Fitr and Id-ul-Adha; the first thing to begin with was the prayer and after that he would stand in front of the people and the people would keep sitting in their rows. Then he would preach to them, advise them and give them orders, (i.e. Khutba). And after that if he wished to send an army for an expedition, he would do so; or if he wanted to give an order, he would do so, and then depart. The people followed this tradition till I went out with Marwan, the Governor of Medina, for the prayer of Id-ul-Adha or Id-ul-Fitr. [Al-Bukhaari]

When we reached the musalla, there was a pulpit made by Kathir bin As-Salt. Marwan wanted to get up on that pulpit before the prayer. I got hold of his clothes but he pulled them and ascended the pulpit and delivered the Khutba before the prayer. I said to him, “By Allah, you have changed (the Prophet’s tradition).” He replied, “O Abu Sa’id! Gone is that which you know.” I said, “By Allah! What I know is better than what I do not know.” Marwan said, “People do not sit to listen to our khutba after the prayer, so I delivered the khutbah before the prayer.”
[Al-Bukhaari]

Allah’s Messenger

used to offer the prayer of ‘Id-ul-Adha and ‘Id-ul-Fitr and then deliver the Khutba after the prayer. [Al-Bukhaari]
‘Ata (radiallahu ‘anhu) said, “Jabir bin ‘Abdullah said, ‘The Prophet went out on the Day of ‘Id-ul-Fitr and offered the prayer before delivering the khutba. ‘Ata told me that during the early days of Ibn Az-Zubair, Ibn Abbas had sent a message to him telling him that the Adhan for the ‘Id Prayer was never pronounced (in the life time of Allah’s Messenger) and the khutbah used to be delivered after the prayer. ‘Ata told me that Ibn Abbas and Jabir bin ‘Abdullah, had said there was no Adhan for the prayer of ‘Id-ul-Fitr and ‘Id-ul-Aqha.’ ‘Ata said, “I heard Jabir bin ‘Abdullah saying, ‘The Prophet stood up and started with the prayer, and after it he delivered the khutbah. When the Prophet of Allah

finished (the khutbah), he went to the women and preached to them, while he was leaning on Bilal’s hand. Bilal was spreading his garment and the ladies were putting alms in it.’” I said to Ata, “Do you think it incumbent upon an Imam to go to the women and preach to them after finishing the prayer and Khutba?” ‘Ata’ said, “No doubt it is incumbent on Imaams to do so, and why should they not do so?”
[Al-Bukhaari]

No Sunnah Rak'aats At The 'Eid Ground Before Or After The 'Eid Prayer

The Prophet sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam)went out and offered a two Rak’aat prayer on the Day of ‘Id ul Fitr and did not offer any other prayer before or after it and at that time Bilal radiallahu ‘anhu) was accompanying him.
[Al-Bukhaari]

Taking A Different Path Of Return

On the Day of ‘Id the Prophet

used to return (after offering the ‘Id prayer) through a way different from that by which he went.
[Al-Bukhaari]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.