/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble fasting

Henry
10-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Assalamu Alaikam Brothers and Sisters

I literally can not make it past 3 PM. I am so hungry and thirsty I am shaking. Does anyone have any advice? I feal that it is almost impossible for me to fast (but no doubt I am trying :) ) because I can never make it to sunset. Also, at school, I basically become a zombie. I can't think or do anything active or else I'll become even more starved.

Again, anyone have any advice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zAk
10-06-2005, 10:44 AM
:sl:

First thing, keep urself away from idle chit chat !

just coz, it leads to gheebah[mostly], n gheebah is the one biiiiiiiiig reason, u feel the fast badly !

secondly, avoid other sins, n keep uself busy in something or the other, esp those tht r less tiring, read quran, hv a short sleep if possible :thumbs_up

also don't go near the food, smelling it ;)

chk this

Ameeratul Layl
10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Henry
Assalamu Alaikam Brothers and Sisters

I literally can not make it past 3 PM. I am so hungry and thirsty I am shaking. Does anyone have any advice? I feal that it is almost impossible for me to fast (but no doubt I am trying :) ) because I can never make it to sunset. Also, at school, I basically become a zombie. I can't think or do anything active or else I'll become even more starved.

Again, anyone have any advice?

:sl: brother,

I usually have the same problem....but hunger strikes at 10am for me :) I jus try my best to keep myself occupied with work....I became zombie yesterday in biology. My teacher noticed my colour change and every 2 minutes wud cum uo and ask if I was okay. I'm surprised I didnt faint :p

Anyway brother, try and keep urself active in other matters and u'll be fine inshAllah.

There goes my tummy again :rolleyes:

Allah ma3ak :coolsis:

Brother_Mujahid
10-06-2005, 10:58 AM
eat and drink plenty of fluid at suhoor (sunrise) time and u'll get used to it inshallah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zAk
10-06-2005, 11:00 AM
thought i wud add this :
Allah described backbiting as an act similar to eating the flesh of our brothers or sisters. But don't think of this as only metaphorical. Our beloved Prophet (Sall Allaho alaihe wasallam) proved this to us in one of his great miracles.

Ubaid, the freed slave of the Holy Prophet (Sall Allaho alaihe wasallam) reported that someone came to the Holy Prophet and showed him two women who were fasting and said that they were dying of thirst. The Holy Prophet turned away silently refusing to give permission for them to break their fast.

So, the man begged him again, mentioning that the women were on the verge of death. The Holy Prophet then said, bring them to me and bring along a bowl. When they turned to him, he turned to one and told her to vomit in the bowl. She complied, spitting up a mixture of vomit, blood, pus and pieces of flesh, which half filled the bowl.

He then turned to the other and had her do the same. After the bowl was filled, he said, "Verily these two have fasted from what Allah has made halaal for them and broken their fast from what Allah has made haraam. They spent their fast eating the flesh of others." (Ahmad)

These women gave up food and drink -- halaal substances, and, instead, partook of the flesh of their brothers and sisters. So distasteful was this fare that it made them sick to the point of near death.
Source : http://www.jang-group.com/thenews/ma...005/index.html

also chk out :
Nutritional Guidelines For Healthy Eating During Ramadan

& :
Advice on health during Ramadan

Ameeratul Layl
10-06-2005, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
eat and drink plenty of fluid at suhoor (sunrise) time and u'll get used to it inshallah.

Come on brother...we are usually (Well I am), half dead wen we wake up for sahoor. I can hardly open my mouth. Then, you are soooo tired that once you eat one toast, the other one....well, u just can't bear to eat it.
I bet u lot eat pranttas,kebabs and all the other filling stuff during sahoor :p
Only joking by the way! :)
Allah Ma3akum :coolsis:

MetSudaisTwice
10-06-2005, 11:12 AM
salam
my advice is to eat properly at suhr, eat plenty of food and fluid
wasalam

Protected_Diamond
10-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Asalamualykum warhmatulahi wabarakthu

think of people in worst situations than yoself mabey that will contorl yo hunger and if you read quran sharif time flies so quickly..well it ususllly helps me bro...All the best 2 ya bro...n dnt 4get al the rewards you'll be getting insha Allah

walakumasalaam warhmatulahi wabarakthu

MetSudaisTwice
10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
salam
yes sis is right either read the quran or listen to recitation, then you will see how time flies by
wasalam

Rabi'ya
10-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I have felt zombie like but I have kinda got used to it the past 3 days. I force feed myself a glass of water or two if i can manage it without too much hassle in the morning. Although I really dont want it I make myself drink it and that way i have felt better today. Less headache. The first day I had to sleep early coz my head was hurting so much I was nearly crying.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Umm Khattab
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Inallaha ma-as-sabireen

Umm Safiya
10-06-2005, 04:26 PM

I just wanted to quick give my pov..
When you eat alot at suhûr and at iftâr, then your stomach is used to alot and wants alot, so you'll get more hungry and thirsty during the day, than if you eat less at suhûr and iftâr.. It has to be a light meal, so that you wont feel full, 'cause the worse thing a muslim can fill is his stomach.. It's a hadeeth, don't got the source, sorry!
And if you get thirsty during the day and your mouth is all dry, then you can rinse your mouth with water and spit it out without swallowing of course, but be careful with that.. It is very tempting to swallow.. And you can only rinse it with water, not Coca Cola, Fanta, Sprite etc., only water.. That's the same when you are doing wudhu'.. You have to rinse your mouth there too..
So, my advice is to eat a light meal at iftâr and suhûr, drink some water, and during the day rinse your mouth if it get's too dry..
But remember, that the smell out of the mouth from a person who fasts is more loved to Allâh than the scent of musk..

ABWAN
10-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Assalamu alaikum wr wb

This is quite common. The best thing to do would have been to practise a little in Shaban itself before ramadan starts. That way you would have gotten used to it by now. But now that that option is ruled out, I would suggest you to be a little patient. I am sure you would get used to it pretty soon inshaAllah.

*charisma*
10-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Drink lotz of water after you break your fast so that you're not dehydrated while you fast the next day. Remember ekhi that this is for self-purification and it also helps with self restraint and discipline. During this time of ramadan we should be able to know how the rest of the world feels when they dont have food to eat and even to the extent where there isnt even water to drink. we gotta put ourselves in there shoes.
and lets not forget the main reason to fast is simply because Allah said so and Allah knows best. And which favors of thy lord will thee deny???? after all its only one month and unlike those who are unfortunate, we are granted food to eat at the end of the day. alhemdulilah
oh and keep yourself busy that way u wont be thinking bout food all the time lol
sorry id blab on but i gotta get to class

fi aman allah
w'salaam

aytekin1
10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
assalam alaikum

my advice is to eat plenty of food and drink alot of water at least two cups. when you feel very fustrated try taking a nap

Yanal
08-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Come on man i knwo it late sorrys for that but i have another advice Do you watch spongebob if you do you must know that plankton eats holographic food(no wonder he is so small:skeleton: ) so you can eat holografic food (jokes)

SORRY out of ideas just fill your selve up b4 or afta fajr:D and good luck with this ramadhan:thumbs_up

leader
08-11-2007, 08:42 PM
ma advice would be to eat suma gud be4 u start ur day(shur) an it should an wil mke a change to your system insyd ur body else its cuz u dnt eat in the morin
wen i feel hungry i pray the quran an my hunger runs away lol no joke
wel anyway inshallah ur ramazan goes well dnt stuf ur slf to much lol
an hope evry1 else on L.I'z does aswell

Protected_Diamond
08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
This non-muslim asked me about fasting and he said i don't think i'll ever be able to cope. So i said to him im sure you can coz you do it without realizing - Through your sleep. lol

Alhamdulilah don't think about food. Just let the day pass with you being busy - whether thats praying, working, sleeping...etc.

syilla
08-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Actually it is because of our food that we eat...

Try eating the right food and lots of water. Avoid eating sweet dishes, spicy and hard to digest food.

You have to wake up before fajr for breakfast, that way is easier to fast.

Protected_Diamond
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Can't wait for ramzaan man....love the atmosphere....so much barakah :)

bint_khalid
08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
salaams i have some advice

-make sure u wake up for suhoor because its the sunnah and has lots of barakah. It will ensure you have some enegy stored for the rest of the day

- try not to talk too much throughout the day, read quan, relax, dont mess around too much :)

- do zikr

-dont think about food or look at it any

-enagage yourself in worship so you have less time to think about food

hope this helps its all i can think of now

bint_khalid
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Protected_Diamond
Can't wait for ramzaan man....love the atmosphere....so much barakah :)
indeed, and shaytaans locked up too.:D

Muslim Woman
08-16-2007, 10:02 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by bint_khalid
....shaytaans locked up too.:D
poor satan :rolleyes:

why they are not chained/ locked the whole yr ? :(

جوري
08-18-2007, 02:35 AM
interesting.. this thread is so old, but I'll dispense with my two cents..
first things first-- give up coffee a week in advance before Ramadan, in fact I'd advise tapering off.. caffeine has alot of stimulating effects and can actually be responsible for these 'harmless' supraventricular tachycardias you are likely experiencing mid noon... Now, wake up an hour before fajr, and make sure your diet contains something of a protein, I don't care if it is in the form of a shake or an egg, carbs are fast acting, they'll raise your blood sugar fast and leave you starving by noon.. so either have something fatty or proteinaceous for sihoor.. drink plenty of fluids preferably one of those sports drinks, propel or gatorade whatever just make sure it has a nice B complex vits, as those are very calming for the nerves. and have dates, dates are actually very beneficial if you'll have three with a small glass of milk that is actually very sufficient to sustain you... Now know this, unless you are actually ill with some pathological dz, in which case you are exempt from fast, fasting is actually very good for you so it is really mind over matter, just don't think of food, and know that every pound you are over weight constitutes equivalence of 4000 calories.. if you were on a normal western diet of 1800-2000 calories per day, that is already a two day allowance, further, I assure you, you have a storage of adrenal-cortex hormones, plus various enzymes that will carry you from one cycle to the next for constant fat burning.. you have your
Glycogenolysis is the catabolism of glycogen (requiring removal of glucose unit from glycogen and addition of phosphate) thus producing glucose 1-phosphate, and subsequently reconfigured (C-1 -> C-6) to yield glucose 6-phosphate, a potent reaction intermediary leading to glucose available to the blood and brain
you have your
gluconeogenesis--he process of making glucose (sugar) from its own breakdown products or from the breakdown products of lipids (fats) or proteins. Gluconeogenesis occurs mainly in cells of the liver or kidney.
you have your fatty acid synthesis and wowee you get loads of calories from the break down of one fatty acid, I can't even remember how many ATP's for energy but in the way of over 130 something, so whenever you feel the urge to purge, think of all those stores your body has smartly packed on its own volition as was created by the most resplendent engineer so that you can carry through the few hours of fast and remember there are those brothers and sisters who honest truth to God, don't have any food to it, not before or after fast...
thank you for your time and remember me in your prayers-- I need them imsad

SpazzBurd
08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I was wondering how to cope with fasting when you still have things you need to do during the day, like drive and go to college.

I did try to fast once, and I couldn't make it, since I felt very ill in the afternoon. Bad headache and dizzy.

syilla
08-24-2007, 12:30 AM
usually we trained the children by doing half day fast.

Try half day then you get used to it try for the whole day.

alibaba
08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
drink lots of water before you wake up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.