/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question:Crying!

Umm Safiya
10-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Assalâmu 'alaykum wa Rahmatullâhi wa Barakâthu..

Hope your all in the best state of imân inshâ'Allâh..

I have a question or a problem.. I can't cry.. Well, I can cry, but I can't cry when I read the qur'ân, when I have sinned, when I pray etc. So my question is, am I just a weird, cold, not a good muslim etc? If it is because I don't have enough taqwa, then how do I get that? If it is because I don't have enough love for Allâh and Islâm, then how do I get that?
I really feel like a very bad muslim.. I feel like something is wrong with me.. :'(
If anyone can give me some advise, then I'd be really happy..
Barak Allâhu fiikum..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zuko
10-09-2005, 03:40 PM
:sl:

Allah sent to us the Qur'an and "the skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah." [39:23]

He mentioned in the Qur'an the promise and the threat, and made clear that His believing servants are fearful and shivering from the punishment of their Lord. Our Lord the Exalted elucidated to us that the believer, whenever his iman strengthens and his certainty increases, becomes more fearful of Allah.Weeping of the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam

The Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, said to `Abdullah ibn Mas`ood, "Read to me the Qur'an." He said, "O Messenger of Allah! Should I recite to you and it was revealed to you?" He said, "Yes, for I like to hear it from others." "I recited Soorat an-Nisaaa' until I reached the ayah,

"How (will it be) then, when We bring from each nation a witness and We bring you (O Muhammad) as a witness against these people?" [An-Nisaa' (4):41]
He then said, 'Stop now.' I found that his eyes were tearful." [Fath al-Bari 8:712]

Abdullah ibn ash-Shikhkheer, radhiallahu `anhu, said: "I saw the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, praying with us, and I heard the sound of his weeping coming out of his chest, which was like the sound of a boiling pot." [Abu Dawood, An-Nasaa'i, and At-Tirmidhi in ash-Shama'il, authenticated by Ibn Khuzaymah, Ibn Hibban and Al-Hakim]

Weeping of Abu Bakr, radhiallahu `anhu`Aaisha said, "During his illness, the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said: 'Order Abu Bakr to lead the prayer.' I told the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, that, 'Indeed, if Abu Bakr stands in your place the people will not be able to hear him due to his (excessive) weeping.'" [al-Bukhari]

Our weepingThe righteous have cried, the worshippers have cried and the believers have cried. And in this time there are people by whom a complete year passes and they do not drop a single tear from the fear of Allah.

O Allah we seek refuge with you from hard hearts. O Allah soften our hearts to Your remembrance!

"Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest." [Ar-Ra'd (13):28]

"The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'an) are recited unto them, they increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone)." [Al-Anfaal (8):2]
So why do we not cry today? We do not cry from the strength of the hardness of our hearts and our hearts' attachment to this world. So our hearts have hardened and our eyes have dried.

We are distant from our Lord. Had we been close our hearts would not have hardened. So he, who spends a whole week without his eye dropping a tear, let him sit and supplicate and humble himself. Maybe his heart would soften and his eye would drop a tear. And if his heart doesn’t drop a tear, then let him open the Book of Allah and read its ayat with contemplation, humility and submissiveness. So if his eye cries, his heart fears and his soul humbles he has succeeded; and if he continues in the state of the hardened heart, let him sit in a dark room and weep over his state, for his heart has died.

:w:

taken from: http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=628

- Qatada -
10-09-2005, 04:27 PM
wa 'alykum asalam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

masha Allah its really good you want to have the ability to cry when reciting the holy qur'an. this might be because you read;

in the holy qur'an where it says:

'You see their eyes overflow with tears because of what they have recognized of the truth' (al-Ma'idah 5: 83).

And they fall down upon their faces, weeping' (al-Isra' 17: 109).

or in the hadith:

'Read the Qur'an and weep. If you do not weep spontaneously make yourself weep' (Ibn Majah).

you might have noticed that alot of brothers and sisters do not even attempt to cry when reciting the holy qur'an nowadays and if a person does - people will think somethin is wrong with them. thats how far astray people have gone these days. so masha Allah its really good that you want to cry when reciting the holy qur'an because the intention is the first step.

to start off with - most people find it hard to cry when their hearts have hardened, this may be one of the reasons why most people dont cry nowadays. this is mainly due to people following their own desires and not following all that the holy qur'an says. instead they take a pick and mix of what they like and what they dont want to apply to their own lives yet. even though in the holy qur'an it says:

O you who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and do not follow the footsteps of Satan, for he is to you an avowed enemy. (2: 208)

because most muslims dont follow islam 'whole heartedly' ,they ignore the parts which they dont want to apply to their lives yet - which leads to denying the qur'an - which leads to the hardening of the hearts.

on my opinion - to start off with, if you cant cry - then dont cry.
focus more on reading the holy qur'an in the correct way (with the correct tajweed etc.) and focus on the translation so you get a better understanding of it. take the words to heart and remember what is said to you from Allah (swt) (in the holy qur'an). try to remember the rewards and the punishments, even read the stories of the people who went astray and how they got punished, this will put fear in a persons heart because they know that they could go through the same if they went astray.

to make it easier for you to recite the holy qur'an - download some surahs from the internet and recite along with the recitor. this will make it easier for you to pronounce the words correctly (tajweed) and you can also look at the meaning of the words so you understand the holy qur'an more easily.

please click on the following links:

Qur'an recitations

dutch Qur'an translation

Qur'an in english

apply what you've learnt into your own life. some people cry when reading the holy qur'an because they fear the punishments of Allah (swt) and at other times they may cry because of the rewards a person gets if they follow the right path, and because they are so desperate - they cry in desperation because they want to die as muslims so they can get to jannah and not jahanam (the hell fire.) gradually as you get a deeper understanding of it - you will learn what is right and what is wrong, this will make you gain taqwa insha Allah.

Mankind! Worship your Lord Who created you and those before you, that you may have taqwa. [Al-Baqarah 2:21]

the ayah above shows that if you worship Allah (swt) properly - by following all the commands that are given and to avoid all the haraam. this will lead to you gaining taqwa insha Allah - which will lead to the softening of the heart - which then leads to a softer heart insha Allah.

These (who possess the qualities of taqwa) are on (true) guidance from their Lord, and it is these who will be successful. [Al-Baqarah 2:5]

so whoever posseses the qualities of taqwa is truly guided from Allah (swt) and they will become successful in this life and the akhirah insha Allah. this is because they do not ignore the commands which are given to them which leaves their hearts soft and not hardened.

to answer your other questions sister.. insha Allah no you are not a bad muslim because they are alot of people who do not even think of crying when reciting the holy qur'an but you want to do that. you have a good intention and:

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: "Actions are but by intentions and every man will have only what he intended. So whoever emigrated for Allah and His messenger (peace be upon him and his family), then his emigration was for Allah and His messenger. (peace be upon him and his family) And whoever emigrated to attain something of this world or to marry a woman, then his emigration was for whatever reason he emigrated." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

so insha Allah you will be rewarded for the good intention.

if you try the above and follow exactly what the qur'an and hadith say. then insha Allah you will gain taqwa and love and fear for Allah (swt), and your heart will soften which will make it easier for you to cry when reciting the holy qur'an insha Allah.

that was quite long and i think it might not have made any sense.. if you didn't understand what i mean then i'm sorry. plz ask and i will try my best to explain properly insha Allah. barak Allah u feeki.

Allah (swt) knows best.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

halupalu
10-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Allah sent to us the Qur'an and "the skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah." [39:23]

He mentioned in the Qur'an the promise and the threat, and made clear that His believing servants are fearful and shivering from the punishment of their Lord. Our Lord the Exalted elucidated to us that the believer, whenever his iman strengthens and his certainty increases, becomes more fearful of Allah.Weeping of the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam

The Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, said to `Abdullah ibn Mas`ood, "Read to me the Qur'an." He said, "O Messenger of Allah! Should I recite to you and it was revealed to you?" He said, "Yes, for I like to hear it from others." "I recited Soorat an-Nisaaa' until I reached the ayah,

"How (will it be) then, when We bring from each nation a witness and We bring you (O Muhammad) as a witness against these people?" [An-Nisaa' (4):41]
He then said, 'Stop now.' I found that his eyes were tearful." [Fath al-Bari 8:712]

Abdullah ibn ash-Shikhkheer, radhiallahu `anhu, said: "I saw the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, praying with us, and I heard the sound of his weeping coming out of his chest, which was like the sound of a boiling pot." [Abu Dawood, An-Nasaa'i, and At-Tirmidhi in ash-Shama'il, authenticated by Ibn Khuzaymah, Ibn Hibban and Al-Hakim]

Weeping of Abu Bakr, radhiallahu `anhu`Aaisha said, "During his illness, the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said: 'Order Abu Bakr to lead the prayer.' I told the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, that, 'Indeed, if Abu Bakr stands in your place the people will not be able to hear him due to his (excessive) weeping.'" [al-Bukhari]

Our weepingThe righteous have cried, the worshippers have cried and the believers have cried. And in this time there are people by whom a complete year passes and they do not drop a single tear from the fear of Allah.

O Allah we seek refuge with you from hard hearts. O Allah soften our hearts to Your remembrance!

"Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest." [Ar-Ra'd (13):28]

"The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'an) are recited unto them, they increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone)." [Al-Anfaal (8):2]
So why do we not cry today? We do not cry from the strength of the hardness of our hearts and our hearts' attachment to this world. So our hearts have hardened and our eyes have dried.

We are distant from our Lord. Had we been close our hearts would not have hardened. So he, who spends a whole week without his eye dropping a tear, let him sit and supplicate and humble himself. Maybe his heart would soften and his eye would drop a tear. And if his heart doesn’t drop a tear, then let him open the Book of Allah and read its ayat with contemplation, humility and submissiveness. So if his eye cries, his heart fears and his soul humbles he has succeeded; and if he continues in the state of the hardened heart, let him sit in a dark room and weep over his state, for his heart has died.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fatimab
10-12-2005, 10:27 AM
:(:(:(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.