/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ameeratul Layl's Science Corner

Ameeratul Layl
10-10-2005, 09:17 AM
:sl: Brothers and sisters,

This is a thread dedicated to those who, like myself, enjoy science. Today, I sat in class and watched an autopsy. It is the most amazing thing I have ever done in Science 9apart from disect a pair of lungs and watch a fountain of blood all over the table) :p .
I would like to use this thread to share my experiences and for you to share yours. Of course, things mentioned should be within limits of Islam (have some respect).

I hope to hear from you ALL soon, InshAllah.Ramadhaan Kareem to you ALL.

Allah ma3akum :coolsis:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ameeratul Layl
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
:sl:

Thread MOVED !!! :-[

aaaaaaah another "CORNER" :brother:

My corner is going to be better than your brother zak :p InshAllah.

Danish
10-10-2005, 10:10 AM
made Aspirin in chemistry last couple of lessons, gonna make Soap tomarrow (saponisation of carboxylic acids)...had chem test 2day, i flopped

Ameeratul Layl
10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish
made Aspirin in chemistry last couple of lessons, gonna make Soap tomarrow (saponisation of carboxylic acids)...had chem test 2day, i flopped

Wow, ur going to make soap. Okay, I havent got to that bit yet... :)
I have a physics test on Friday. :p
InshAllah, we will pass :)

One piece of advise.... before you go into the test/class room. Read surah 3nkaboot. And whilst sitting at the table (with ur paper in front of you)....read Al Mutakabir. It works wonders!!

Good luck

Allah ma3ak :coolsis:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
10-10-2005, 12:57 PM

oh i hate physics and chemistry by biology wasnt bad

you might enjoy going to the thakray medical museum in leeds Ameera ;) you can even watch a couple of ops on video of course :)

Ameeratul Layl
10-10-2005, 12:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

oh i hate physics and chemistry by biology wasnt bad

you might enjoy going to the thakray medical museum in leeds Ameera ;) you can even watch a couple of ops on video of course :)

I live n Birmingham. Leeds is too far and mom wont let me go alone.
My name is not Ameera....it is AMEERATUL LAYL.

I've watched enuf videos....I need to see it all in real life and get to meddle with it!

:love:

S_87
10-10-2005, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
I live n Birmingham. Leeds is too far and mom wont let me go alone.
My name is not Ameera....it is AMEERATUL LAYL.

I've watched enuf videos....I need to see it all in real life and get to meddle with it!

:love:

the student hospital is next door just pop in ;)

had chem test 2day, i flopped
i always flopped chem ;D

Ameeratul Layl
10-10-2005, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

the student hospital is next door just pop in ;)

i always flopped chem ;D

yeah okay amani...calm down... :p

Sister4U
10-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Hey sis (Ameeratul Layl) I dunno if ya gotz ma messeage or not...but I'm 4rom Birmingham 2 :p

Hmm wonderin which part u 4romz...

PM me anytime ;)

:w:

Ameeratul Layl
10-11-2005, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister4U

Hey sis (Ameeratul Layl) I dunno if ya gotz ma messeage or not...but I'm 4rom Birmingham 2 :p

Hmm wonderin which part u 4romz...

PM me anytime ;)

I've tried to PM you but ur inbox is full.
Empty ur inbox u....unhygienic child. :p

:coolsis: :love:

Ameeratul Layl
10-11-2005, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
:offtopic:
well, she is still a LIMITED MEMBER, n the limitation restricts the member from using PM Facility ! :-\

Yeah okay...sorry. :)

Ameeratul Layl
10-11-2005, 01:33 PM

Check this out brothers and sisters. Its very intersting:

http://www.saudicaves.com/science/index.html

Ameeratul Layl
10-11-2005, 01:44 PM

Title:Food for thought

Adolescents are increasingly dining out on fried foods, a new study finds, and the older they are the more frequently they do so. Those trends may portend hefty risks down the line, the authors argue, because the youngsters who ate out most often were generally the heaviest kids and they gained the most weight over the course of a year.

Fries and other fast-food fare appear to foster excessive weight gain in adolescents, a 3-year study finds.
PhotoDisc

These are worrisome prospects in this nation, where obesity is reaching epidemic proportions even in children, notes study leader Elsie M. Taveras, a Harvard Medical School pediatrician. Then again, she adds, the findings aren't all that surprising, since studies in adults have shown that restaurants tend to serve larger portions than home cooks do, and that people respond by consuming more calories on days they eat out.

The new findings are especially troubling since the study's participants—representing all 50 states—had at least one parent schooled in diet and health. Their moms were all nurses being periodically surveyed as part of a long-running diet-and-health study administered by the Harvard School of Public Health.

Fried foods may not be the problem
Taveras' team administered a dietary questionnaire annually for 4 years to more than 14,000 boys and girls ages 9 to 14. The recruits included only children with what appeared to be normal eating behaviors, Taveras says, which means they weren't obviously dieting or suffering from eating disorders. In addition to supplying information on their height, weight, physical activity, and their body's maturation, the volunteers also estimated how often they ate fried foods—such as french fries or chicken nuggets—away from home each week.

That last number turned out to be about the same as the frequency a child typically ate at a fast-food restaurant. As such, Taveras says, the fried-food question appears to capture most visits to fast-food restaurants. And that's important, because as fried foods are high in calories, so are soft drinks, pastries, sausages, and burgers—fast-food fare that is typically consumed along with fries or fried chicken.

In the October Pediatrics, the Harvard team reports that at the beginning of the study, 3.5 percent of the girls and 6 percent of boys said they went out for fried foods four to seven times a week. But that was the overall figure for the highest-consumption category. Fewer preteens ate out so frequently, and more of the 13-to-14-year-olds did. In the older group, 4.4 percent of girls and 7.7 percent of boys said that they ate restaurant-fried foods four to seven times a week.

Three years later, the overall rates at which these adolescents ate out had more than doubled.

Annually, the researchers also computed each child's body-mass index (BMI) based on age-specific formulas that account for a child's physical maturity. Those calculations showed that a child's BMI tended to be somewhat higher (fatter) the more often he or she ate fast foods away from home.

Moreover, those children who said that they had been eating these foods four to seven times per week gained more weight from year to year than did those in the lower-consumption groups. The extra gain was small but significant, Taveras notes, and could, if unchecked, put even an initially average-weight child at risk of becoming overweight.

To Taveras, the biggest surprise from the research is that the more often children reported eating out, the unhealthier their overall diet appeared to be. They were increasingly likely to drink whole milk, not skim, and sugar-sweetened beverages. They reported eating more red meats and processed meats (such as cold cuts and sausages) and were less likely to take daily multivitamins. Overall, the glycemic load of their diets—a measurement of how quickly the consumed foods would break down into blood sugar—was also higher than the diets of children who ate out less frequently. Consuming high-glycemic-load meals is a risk factor for several chronic diseases, including diabetes and atherosclerosis (SN: 4/8/00, p. 236).

Finally, not only did the kids who ate fried foods frequently also consume high quantities of fat, but they were also eating a lot of the unhealthiest types of fat—saturated and trans fats. This wasn't surprising since low-cost restaurants favor the use of fats and sugars to make bland foods palatable. Saturated and trans fats are far cheaper for restaurants to use than are healthier monounsaturated fats such as those in olive and canola oils (see Money Matters in Obesity).

Home cookin'
Overall, Taveras and her colleagues conclude, these data and those from related studies suggest that frequent consumption of fried and other fast foods away from home has "pernicious effects on body weight and diet quality." Added to this is the ready availability of fatty or sweet snacks, soft drinks, and other non-nutritious, high-calorie foods at many middle and high schools. In many cafeterias, these less-than-ideal foods compete directly and aggressively for the attention, dollars, and appetites of school children, a federally funded study has shown (see School Lunches Are Struggling to Earn High Marks).

Don't look for doctors to intervene on this issue—at least not soon. A major new study has found that doctors don't routinely discuss a child's weight problems with the family (SN: 9/24/05, p. 206). Indeed, it found, the younger the child the less likely the topic will come up. Even among overweight teens over age 15—the age group that doctors were most likely to warn about weight issues—only 52 percent reported a health professional bringing up anything about their size, much less ways to trim down.

The responsibility for those issues falls to families. One strategy for parents, Taveras says, may be to encourage adolescents to eat more meals at home as part of family gatherings. Not only might this strategy contribute to slimmer, healthier teens, she says, but it also might offer parents one more chance to connect with busy adolescents—youngsters who face temptations to experiment with other risky behaviors besides eating fried food.

Look after your children brothers and sisters.

Ameeratul Layl
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
:sl: Brothers And Sisters

The Top Ten Myths of Science Education
MYTH #1: Kids hate taking science in school these days.
REALITY: Not! Half--50 percent--of 10-17 year olds put science... at the top or near the top of their list...of favorite subjects.

MYTH #2: Kids think that science is dull and boring.
REALITY: Not! 42 percent of 10-17 year olds say science is the subject (they) are most curious about. Science was ranked as boring by only 14 percent of the students.

MYTH #3: Kids think science class doesn't relate to the real world.
REALITY: Not! 94 percent of 10-17 year olds say that science isn't just in the classroom; it's part of everyday life in the world around you.

MYTH #4: Kids think learning science is mostly about memorizing facts.
REALITY: Not! 89 percent of 10-17 year olds say science lets (them) be very creative. And 89 percent also say the best way they can learn science is to observe things and do experiments (themselves).

MYTH #5: Kids grow up believing that science is more for boys and not for girls.REALITY: Not! 89 percent of all 10-17 year olds say no to Science is more for boys than girls.

MYTH #6: Kids think science is for nerds.
REALITY: Not! 93 percent of all 10-17 year olds say no to Science is for nerds. And, of all subjects, science ranked the coolest.
MYTH #7: Most kids are turned off to science in school.
REALITY: Not! When 10-17 year olds were asked for positive and negative things about science, things they like best about science won hands down (91 percent) over things they don't like about science (32 percent).

MYTH #8: Most kids don't have access to computers at home.
REALITY: Not! 68 percent of 10-17 year olds say they have a computer in (their) home.

MYTH #9: All kids do with computers is play games.
REALITY: Not! Of those 10-17 year olds who have and use computers, 75 percent do school work, 64 percent learn things on their own, and 41 percent get information on science topics on their computers.

MYTH #10: Minority kids don't have access to computers at home
REALITY: Partly not! While slightly more than half of African American and Hispanic 10-17 year olds don't, 46 percent of African Americans and Hispanic kids say they have a computer in (their) home.

Allah ma3akum

;) ;)

Ameeratul Layl
10-12-2005, 11:28 AM

A few experiments will be coming your way ;)

Ameeratul Layl
10-12-2005, 11:30 AM

Experiment number One

Dancing Raisins
You Will Need:
Baking soda
Vinegar
Raisins
Measuring cup
Teaspoon
Two-liter plastic bottle
Scissors
What To Do:
Cut off the top of the two-liter plastic bottle.

Pour one-and-a-half cups of water into the plastic bottle.

Add one heaping teaspoon of baking soda and stir until it is dissolved in the water.

Add four to six raisins to the water/baking soda mix in the plastic bottle.

SLOWLY add one cup of vinegar into the plastic bottle.

After a couple of minutes, what happens to the raisins?

What This Means:
In the plastic bottle, a base (baking soda) and an acid (vinegar) react to form a gas (carbon dioxide). As the gas forms, it adheres to the raisins in the bottle. Once enough gas adheres to a raisin, it will begin to rise to the surface. When it reaches the surface the gas escapes into the air and the raisin sinks. The raisin repeats this process for several hours or until the raisin gets soggy and too heavy to rise to the surface.

sherbie cola
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Salaams sister
I too am in Birmingham, hope to mee ya soonzzzzzzzz.

Ameeratul Layl
10-12-2005, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherbie cola
Salaams sister
I too am in Birmingham, hope to mee ya soonzzzzzzzz.

Off topic!!

sherbie cola
10-12-2005, 12:40 PM
:) Also I will try yr experiment out, shall let u know the results. ;D

Good corner :thumbs_up

Ameeratul Layl
10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherbie cola
:) Also I will try yr experiment out, shall let u know the results. ;D

Good corner :thumbs_up

Good, Im luking forward to the results. Imagine raisens dancing. ;D

Allah ma3ik :love: ;)

MetSudaisTwice
10-12-2005, 12:46 PM
salam
BORING BORING science
yawn
lol am only joking this thread is a bit useful
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
10-12-2005, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
BORING BORING science
yawn
lol am only joking this thread is a bit useful
wasalam

Will u not STOP messing up my forum with off topic threads. I dont care if u dont like science....science dont lyk u (*feeling a bit confused*).

MetSudaisTwice
10-12-2005, 12:49 PM
salam
;D ok i'll be :zip:
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
10-19-2005, 11:57 AM
:sl: every1,

My corner seems so dead....Khaiyr InshAllah.

I have a Einstein game for the game boffs:I hope u enjoy it. InshAllah! :)

http://www.einsteinyear.org/games/EinsteinGame

Allah ma3akum

p.s: Tell me what u think of it. I got eat by one of the blue robot things. Not every gud at things like that! ;D

islamonline
11-04-2005, 11:35 AM

aaaah a Science Corner.. Wonderful :happy:

Jazakallah

m_2005
11-04-2005, 10:10 PM

Heres a random Scientific fact:

Cracking your knuckles does not lead to arthritis, you don't actually crack your joints, you are only releasing the gas thats built up in your bloodstream, although if you bent it sooo far backwards that it hurts a lot, then its not good........

Muezzin
11-04-2005, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by m_2005

Cracking your knuckles does not lead to arthritis, you don't actually crack your joints, you are only releasing the gas thats built up in your bloodstream, although if you bent it sooo far backwards that it hurts a lot, then its not good........
Finger farts!

h1jabi_sista
11-04-2005, 10:34 PM

ok ok ive got a good one!!

your internal body temperature is 37 degrees. the enviroment around you reaches 25, 30 degrees and you feel hot.
So why is it that your internal body is not boiling up?

:sister:

sapphire
11-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Jazakallah for that...i must tell my I.C.T teacher shes forever going on about me cracking my knucles....i enjoy science alot...but im getting no where...we keep getting new teachers and they are all weird...and experiments are a complete no no....NO FAIRRRRRRRRRRRRR

m_2005
11-05-2005, 12:32 PM

The answer to the outside temperature/body temperature question is:

One is that sunshine warms the skin directly. Another is
that the brain tells you to feel warm or cold not just based on the temperature
difference between your body and the air, but based on special cells in the skin
that signal the brain what the temperature is. The responses of these cells is not
just based on skin temperature and air temperature, but in part on a prediction of
your body's need to start behaviors that will help it get rid of heat building up
inside. So when it's 33C outside, it is difficult for you to get rid of heat fast
enough, even though the body is warmer than the air, so your brain tells you to feel
hot, and to sweat, etc, etc.

Sanobar
11-05-2005, 02:35 PM

salam!
jazkaAllah for sharing that with us i really didnt knw abt it.... soem one told me dat ur fingers become fat ...!
ma'salamah

PS : bro muezzin.....finger farts...?????? ewwwww.....:heated:

Ameeratul Layl
11-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Here is a site for the kidos doing their GCSE exams soon....its a fun way to learn bits and bobs.
Well, i tried it out (even though ive dun my GCSE's) and it seems okay.

ENJOY!!!!

http://www.gamequarium.com/science.htm

Allah ma3akum

Malaikah
12-08-2005, 07:08 AM
i thought id share this site, its really interesting... you can follow the links at the top for other not so physics related stuff:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/origins/cern/
Enjoy!:)

Ameeratul Layl
12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
i thought id share this site, its really interesting... you can follow the links at the top for other not so physics related stuff:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/origins/cern/
Enjoy!:)

JazakAllah once again sister.
iahve tried the link you have provided. One thing that has interested me very much is:

Meet with scientists, machine operators, control-room jockies and others who make CERN a vibrant exciting location for doing science.

JazakAllah once again.

Allah ma3ik

Muezzin
12-08-2005, 03:02 PM

All right, since this is the Science corner, could somebody please settle this little debate me and my friend have going - well, debate's the wrong word. It's more of a mystery. Anyway, you know how we put living things in groups? Like apes, birds, rodents etc. Well, what group of organisms are rabbits and hares in? I mean, horses, zebras and donkeys are equestrians, so I'm sure rabbits and hares have their own group. Neither my friend or I know its name and we too busy with silly law coursework to look in a biology textbook. :)

Ameeratul Layl
07-23-2006, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

All right, since this is the Science corner, could somebody please settle this little debate me and my friend have going - well, debate's the wrong word. It's more of a mystery. Anyway, you know how we put living things in groups? Like apes, birds, rodents etc. Well, what group of organisms are rabbits and hares in? I mean, horses, zebras and donkeys are equestrians, so I'm sure rabbits and hares have their own group. Neither my friend or I know its name and we too busy with silly law coursework to look in a biology textbook. :)

Have you still not found an answer?

seeker_of_ilm
07-23-2006, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

This is an extremely late reply...but they are in the Leporidae group.

Ameeratul Layl
07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

This is an extremely late reply...but they are in the Leporidae group.

JazakAllah for replying brother.
But, could you elaborate on: Leporidae group, please.

Fishman
07-23-2006, 05:20 PM
They don't teach science at school, it's just about memorising facts.

Ameeratul Layl
07-23-2006, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Eh? What's this? Asking for an explanation without conducting preliminary investigation? Totally un-scientific behaviour! <not to mention a pointless post, mods will have to waste 10 seconds now, tut tut>!

A little searching goes a long way :uhwhat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leporidae

SubhanAllah, I already checked through wiki for an explanation. That is the site I always refer to. I found it a little confusing which was why I asked for an explanation.
So, the mods have nothing to worry about.

amirah_87
07-24-2006, 09:25 AM
as salaamu alaykum

Asking for an explanation without conducting preliminary investigation? Totally un-scientific behaviour!
EDITED..IMMA ZIP IT :X

Ameeratul Layl
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
as salaamu alaykum

LOOOOL......this is like the Geek's corner of LI (J/K!!) ;D;D

Ameerah..what's up with all this maths and science corners, skools up...burn your book darling!!!

so what is it you want discussed??
The name is Ameeratul layl.

Burn my book? No.:offended:

amirah_87
07-24-2006, 09:42 AM
ass salaamu alaykum

whatever all the same innnit....:D

so what's this thread created for ...to share all your new scientific results from ya researches or sumthing....:?:?

Ameeratul Layl
07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
ass salaamu alaykum

whatever all the same innnit....:D

so what's this thread created for ...to share all your new scientific results from ya researches or sumthing....:?:?

For courseworks, assigments etc.

Ameeratul Layl
07-28-2006, 10:31 AM

Would anyone like to begin revision sessions for AS classes ready and confident for A2?

Ameeratul Layl
07-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Would anyone like to begin revision sessions for AS classes ready and confident for A2?
So, no one wishes to have any lessons?:rollseyes

Ameeratul Layl
12-10-2006, 12:23 PM

Finding naming alkanes and alkenes a bit of a :heated: <<that yellow thing says it all.

Could someone provide SIMPLE rules and examples please.

Much appreciated!

jazakAllah

The Ruler
12-10-2006, 12:30 PM

i have my science mocks tomorrow...i am sooo dreading it :(...especially since we still have 4 more modules :-\...i cant do them all on my own!...but my mums expecting atleast an A...i really dont know what to do...and especially the genetics and stuff...im soo confused :-\

Ameeratul Layl
12-10-2006, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

i have my science mocks tomorrow...i am sooo dreading it :(...especially since we still have 4 more modules :-\...i cant do them all on my own!...but my mums expecting atleast an A...i really dont know what to do...and especially the genetics and stuff...im soo confused :-\

Tomorrow? Ya Rab!
Are you doing a levels or gcse?

lolwatever
12-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Here's how i learnt it... got it from a neat textbook..

1. (Prefix) Identify the longest carbon chain...

1 carbon = meth-
2 carbons = eth-
3 carbons = prop-
4 carbons = but-
5 carbons = pent-
6 carbons = hex-
7 carbons = hept-
8 carbons = oct-
2. "Middix" Identify the type of bonding in the chain or ring.

All single bonds in the carbon chain= -an-

One double bond in the carbon chain = -en-

One triple bond in the carbon chain = -yn-
3. (Suffix) Identify the functional group joined to teh chain or ring.

For alkanes.. only one Hydrogen is connected to teh chane = -e
Exampel:

C2H6

The longest carbon chain contains 2 carbons
----> Prefix: eth-

all the bonds are single CH bonds...
----> "Middix": -an-

The functional group is one hydrogen...
----> Suffix: -e

Putting it together... eth-an-e

Ethane :D

The Ruler
12-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Tomorrow? Ya Rab!
Are you doing a levels or gcse?
GCSE...i just revised a bit of biology and chemistry...left the physics for later :-\

lolwatever
12-10-2006, 12:36 PM
btw that also applies 2 other functional groups...

tc salams

Ameeratul Layl
12-10-2006, 12:41 PM
salam,

sis glacier, what are you finding diificult. Im doing a levels so should be ale to help. inshAllah.

br lolwateveeeerr, the example of 'ethene' is very easy. How about when it comes to more complex stuff like: methyl propane. Arghhhhh

The Ruler
12-10-2006, 12:54 PM
sis glacier, what are you finding diificult. Im doing a levels so should be ale to help. inshAllah.

remembering the uses of different plymerised alkaned/alkenes...what was the posh name again...or did it not have any :?...i forgot :-\...and the genetics stuff in biology...the human genome project...meiosis and mitosis...easy but confusing...the function of certain hormones...the FSH and LH stuff....and many more :-\

Ameeratul Layl
12-10-2006, 01:00 PM

remembering the uses of different plymerised alkaned/alkenes...what was the posh name again...or did it not have any :?...i forgot :-\...and the genetics stuff in biology...the human genome project...meiosis and mitosis...easy but confusing...the function of certain hormones...the FSH and LH stuff....and many more :-\

what do you want to start with first?

The Ruler
12-10-2006, 01:02 PM

how about mitosis and meiosis :-\

Ameeratul Layl
12-10-2006, 01:07 PM

how about mitosis and meiosis :-\

Firstly, stop with the sad face. You will be fine.inshAllah. *and you know it!*

Secodly. I know I may seem a bit bossy but I want you to attempt either the foundation or higher teir mock exam on this page. I suggest you do foundation first!

Do it and mark it and see where your going wrong. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...biology/mocks/

Malaikah
12-10-2006, 01:07 PM
br lolwateveeeerr, the example of 'ethene' is very easy. How about when it comes to more complex stuff like: methyl propane. Arghhhhh

I hope this helps, I did some chem tutoring, and I wrote this up for my student:

Rules for naming organic compounds-alkanes

1. Identify the longest hydrocarbon chain in the compound. If there are two chains with the same number of carbons, use the one with the most substituents.
2. Number each carbon in the chain, starting with the carbon closest to the first branch in the compound. This ensures that the end result must be that the numbers used in the name are the lowest possible numbers. Name this branch based on the number of carbons.
3. For alkanes, add –ane to the name given in part 2.
4. Identify branches on the main chain, and name them.
a.
Branches are named by counting the number of carbons and adding –yl to the name determined based on the number.
5. Now combine the name of the longest chain with the names of the branches. This is done by listing the branches in alphabetical order and putting the name of the longest change of at the end of the name. Also, in front of each branch name, add the number of the carbon that the branch is attached to.
6. If there are multiple and identical branches, such as two methyl groups, the prefixes di-, tri- must be used, and the number of the carbon which the groups are attached to are listed in order (smallest number first). Note: the prefixes di-, tri- do not count in the alphabetical order for linking.

For example: CH3CH(CH3)CH(C2H5)CH(CH3)CH

1. (The longest chain is highlighted above)
2. The branch is numbered above. There are 5 carbons in the longest chain, so it is pent-
3. The chain is an alkane since it has only singles bonds; it is named using pent- and –ane, so the name is pentane.
4. There are three branches attached to the main chain, methyl attached to carbon 2, methyl attached to carbon 4 and ethyl attached to carbon 3.
5. and 6. There are two methyl groups so they are listed as 4-ethyl-2,4-dimethlypentane. Note that ethyl is listed before dimethly because the di-, tri- prefixes do not count in the alphabetical listing, that (-) is used between numbers and words and (,) is used between numbers, and that the name of the longest chain is placed at the end of the alkanes name.
6. Final answer: 4-ethyl-2,4-dimethlypentane.

Rules for naming organic compounds- alkenes and alkynes.

This is basically the same as naming alkanes:

1. Instead of using –ane, simply use –ene for alkenes and –yne for alkynes.
2. The longest chain is numbered starting from the end closest to the double/triple bond.
3. For alkenes/alkynes with more than three carbon atoms in the longest chain, the location of the double bond must be specified in the name of the compound. This is done by specifying the number of the lowest-numbered carbon involved in the double bond.

I got heaps more for functional groups if you need some inshaallah.

The Ruler
12-10-2006, 01:22 PM
i have to go off now...but will do later insha'allah :)

thanks sis :)

Fishman
12-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't you think the alkali metals are cool?

The Ruler
12-11-2006, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faraway
i have to go off now...but will do later insha'allah :)

thanks sis :)

right...i did that...and thught foundation was too easy so went onto higher...did a few questions but thought that i got history to revise...and then i did history too...i did the exam today...didnt go too bad...but i am not sure id be able to get and A* either :-\

format_quote Originally Posted by fishboy
Don't you think the alkali metals are cool?
yes especially seeing them reacting...and also to cut them...its just too cool :thumbs_up...the have properties others dont *like duh tag*...but yeah :)

Fishman
12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faraway
yes especially seeing them reacting...and also to cut them...its just too cool :thumbs_up...the have properties others dont *like duh tag*...but yeah :)
Caesium in a bathtub is quite spectacular, the bath was completely obliterated! Unfortunately, there is not enough Francium to test that out too.

I wonder what Cs+Fl is like.

Yeah, I also think the way you can cut alkali metals is cool, just like the way they are all soft and shiny.

Malaikah
12-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Where on earth did you ever see Ceasium put in a bathtub? :uuh:

Fishman
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Weird on earth did you ever see Ceasium put in a bathtub? :uuh:
Science video. Although it would be cool if they demonstated it on the school field...

The Ruler
12-14-2006, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Science video.
ahh and i was thinking...they arent allowed them in school...:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.