Noor
10-12-2005, 05:38 AM
:sl:

Absolutely nothing.

:w:

Muezzin
10-12-2005, 01:06 PM

Noor is correct. We're advised to not join in such tomfoolery, I'm guessing because 'April Fool' jokes often involve effectively lying.

I mean, I could jump on the table, yell a series of racist remarks and then say 'APRIL FOOL! AHAHAHA!' but I'd still get arrested. What a gip.

MetSudaisTwice
10-12-2005, 01:08 PM
salam
this tradition is not part of the muslim tradition therefore muslims are advised not to join in such foolishness
wasalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
10-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Absolutely nothing. All those stories you might come across regarding how the Muslims were tricked and made the fools of, is fabricated.

It is just an official day dedicated to all the practical jokers out there.

Ma'asalama

abusufi96
10-12-2005, 04:06 PM
so even though you join them, are you being sinned?

strider
10-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Just because non-muslims are doing it, doesn't mean it is necessary Haram. If the jokes you are playing are not cruel or involving forbidden elements then i don't see what is wrong with it.

Ma'assalama

Sanobar
10-12-2005, 05:20 PM
salaam,
What sis strider said is very true........! we are not supposed to do any anyhting foolish like that!
ma'salamah

- Qatada -
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

look at it this way:

Our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told his Companions not to tell lies, even if they were only meant to be jokes:

"Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh. Woe be on him [/her]."

Sunan Abu Dawud Hadith

"I make jokes, but I say only the truth."

Imam al-Ghazzali, Ihya Ulum-Id-Din, 3:115

therefore its not permissible.. and not just that - why should we go to such a level to imitate the kufar?

Allah u a'lam.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

Bass
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Jazakallah Akhee for da hadiths
I'll keep them in mind

Far7an
10-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I think what Abrar is talking about, is the story of how april's fools day started, and how some say it was regarding an incidend involving the muslims.

Sheikh Yusuf Estes refutes this, in the following article...

I heard the Prophet saying, "Allah will not deprive you of knowledge after he has given it to you, but it will be taken away through the death of the religious learned men with their knowledge. Then there will remain ignorant people who, when consulted, will give verdicts according to their opinions whereby they will mislead others and go astray."

In the Name of Allah, I praise Allah and ask for His Peace upon Muhammad, ameen. Allah Alone is The All-Knower.

Now as regards the incorrect story circulating amongst the Muslims on the Internet saying that April Fool's Day is the celebration of the kufar over the conquest of Muslim Spain. I felt that it was necessary to clarify a few points in the interest of truth, inshallah.

To continue: Once again, Muslims are circulating a fabrication on the Internet trying to claim things which can easily be proven incorrect by Christians and non-Muslims who rejoice in watching us play the part of Everyday Fools.

The most recent story says that Christians could not conquer the Muslims there and sent spies to discover why. According to the story, they found that the Muslims there were on the 'Taqwah' (God Fearing and Pious) of Islam. Then the story says the Christians sent in alcohol and cigarettes which the Muslims used and lost their 'Taqwah' and then the Christians defeated the Muslims on April first and began celebrating 'April Fool's Day' ever since. This story is not correct in many aspects.

1.) First, let us consider the historic fact that Muslim Spain ended on the 12th of January in the Christian year of 1492 A.D. yet 'April Fool's Day was not heard of until over fifty years later.

Once upon a time, back in 16th-century France, before computers, people celebrated New Year's Day on March 25, the advent of spring. It was a festive time. They partied steadily until April 1. In 1564, when the calendar reformed and became Gregorian, under the influence of Pope Gregory, King Charles IX proclaimed, perhaps pompously, that New Year's Day should be celebrated on January 1st instead of in the spring. Diehard conservatives resisted the change (or perhaps didn't hear about it due to the absence of e-mail) and continued to celebrate New Year's from March 25 to April 1.

During this period of spring festivity, the more flexible French mocked the rigid revelers by sending them foolish gifts and invitations to nonexistent parties. The victim of an April Fools' Day prank was called a "poisson d'avril," or an "April fish," because at that time of year, the sun was leaving the zodiacal sign of Pisces. April Fools' Day hit its stride (avoiding the banana peel) in England in the 18th century, and was brought to colonial America by the English, Scottish, and French.

2.) Second, we should know that cigarettes were not even invented until AFTER the time of the fall of Muslim Spain (January 1492). According to the State College in Framingham, the Human Biology course by Dr. Roger Morrrissette, Ph.D., smoking of any kind did not exist in Spain until after it was brought back from the New World AFTER King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella had come to rule Spain. This is from their website:

3.) Muslim Spain began to deteriorate at the time of Ibn Seenah and others who were beginning to use their logic in place of Divine Revelation of Allah. Some were very interested in the Greek and Roman philosophies and concepts and began to try to 'rethink' Islam much the same as some 'modernists' are doing today. It was right after this that Muslim Spain began to divide up into small kingdoms and fight against each other for control and gold. They employed mercenaries from amongst the Christians and killed and destroyed each other for a number of years.

When the Christians came against them the first time, they appealed to the ruler of Maghrib (Morocco) across the Mediterranean Sea who sent troops to quell the attacks. He stipulated that the Muslims must stop fighting each other and go back to the Islamic system of rule under one leader. They did not do it. When they began fighting each other again, the Christians came in very strong against them and this time the ruler of Morocco refused to help them. They lost battle after battle against the Roman Christians and finally the last stronghold of Islam fell to the Christian King, Ferdinand, in January of 1492. [for details order the video "Muslim Spain"]

So regarding the email claiming that April Fools Day is a celebration of the take over of Muslim Spain, it is clear the whole thing is a made up lie. This is totally unacceptable and should be brought to the attention of the one who sent you this lie in the first place. A good Muslim would never accept to repeat lies and fabrications especially in presenting facts about the history of Islam.

If you have received such a letter it is your duty in front of Allah to write back to those who also received it and ask them to contact all of those on their lists and email the truth about this issue. And we should all fear a Day when we will stand in front of Allah and be asked about these matters.

If we don't do something about correcting the education of our beloved brothers and sisters in Islam, then everyday on the internet is MUSLIM FOOLS DAY

Idris
10-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Its just some other holiday to keep the kufrs happy and stop thinking off life and its meaning.....very sad :(

root
10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Its just some other holiday to keep the kufrs happy and stop thinking off life and its meaning.....very sad
Are you sure your not april fooling us with your nonsense. Maybe we should post "Top 10 misconceptions of Kufrs".

Talk about branding someone in a stereotypical manner. It seems your ignorance knows no boundaries.

Idris
10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Are you sure your not april fooling us with your nonsense. Maybe we should post "Top 10 misconceptions of Kufrs".

Talk about branding someone in a stereotypical manner. It seems your ignorance knows no boundaries.

How many holidays do you take in a year? Chrismas, easter, April fools day, new year, Valinatine and I can go on and on all this to keep your self way from the truth. Any excuse to drink yourself to happiness ;)

- Qatada -
10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
lol we know the truth now anywayz.. i think the thread should be closed insha Allah.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Idris
10-12-2005, 09:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
lol we know the truth now anywayz.. i think the thread should be closed insha Allah.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Hmmm i think his gone to get a drink.

Yeah thread should be closed. No benefit :confused:

root
10-12-2005, 10:06 PM
How many holidays do you take in a year? Chrismas, easter, April fools day, new year, Valinatine and I can go on and on all this to keep your self way from the truth. Any excuse to drink yourself to happiness
Actually, April Fools day and Valentine days are not holidays. At the very least you should arm yourself with the facts before spouting more stereotypical nonsense.

Inshalla you may grow up to be a wise and intelligent person for you are not quite their yet.

Idris
10-12-2005, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Actually, April Fools day and Valentine days are not holidays. At the very least you should arm yourself with the facts before spouting more stereotypical nonsense.

Inshalla you may grow up to be a wise and intelligent person for you are not quite their yet.
I can see you got nothing else to say but weak arguments in making yourself look more intelligent then me, how sad.

May Allah guide you.

Muhammad
10-12-2005, 11:10 PM

Lets try to address each other a bit more politely or else we might as well close the thread. I thought I'd post a further clarification Insha'Allaah:

Question :
Can a muslim celebrate a non muslim holiday like Thanksgiving?
Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): </FONT>

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369) (www.islam-qa.com)

Protected_Diamond
10-13-2005, 05:54 AM
asalamualykum warhmatulahi wabarakthu

masha Allah great reply bro^^

walakumasalaam warhmatulahi wabarakthu

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.