/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Anti-Terror Law!!!

MetSudaisTwice
10-13-2005, 09:42 AM
salam
am ashamed that a country i live in is treating humans in this manner, this does not seem fair and the law doesn't make any sense. anyways here is the report from BBC News
Anti-terror laws face opposition
Prime Minister Tony Blair has insisted there is a "compelling" case for the anti-terror laws proposed in the newly published Terrorism Bill.

The bill allows suspects to be held for up 90 days without charge and makes "glorifying" terror an offence.

At prime minister's questions, Charles Kennedy said there was no "consensus" even within the government on measures, some of which were plain "wrong".

But Mr Blair said he believed police needed the powers to protect lives.

'Charge them properly'

The prime minister said the complex nature of terrorism inquiries meant it was important to take suspects into custody "relatively early", and possibly holding them for longer.

Police could then "get the evidence necessary to charge them properly".

He added: "What I have to do is to try do my best to protect people in this country and to make sure their safety and their civil liberty to life come first."

Currently terror suspects can be held for up to 14 days without charge.

The government's plans have been criticised by senior judges and opposition parties.

The Lib Dems have suggested holding suspects on lesser offences while investigating possible terrorism, as an alternative to extending detention without trial.

Mr Kennedy said other measures in the bill - such as a charge of committing acts "preparatory to terrorism" - could be used for this.

He said: "Why is it you remain so wedded to this proposal for 90 days? Surely it's wrong; surely you are going to have to back down."

Conservative home affairs spokesman David Davis said that he had been briefed by the police on their need for the new powers, but had not been persuaded.

He said that he would prefer a change in the law so that suspects could still be questioned even after being charged with an offence.

And John McDonnell, chairman of the Campaign Group of left-wing Labour MPs, said: "This is an unacceptable undermining of civil liberties in the New Labour tradition of knee-jerk legislation."

Liberal Democrat peer Lord Carlile, appointed by the government to oversee its anti-terrorism legislation, said he still had "concerns".

'Muddled thinking'

He wanted a "much tighter system of control", to ensure longer detentions were "justified...by evidence".

Ken Jones, chairman of Association of Chief Police Officers' terrorism committee, said longer detentions were needed because of "the huge volume of material we are discovering and the complex global reach of our inquiries".

A group including London Mayor Ken Livingstone and Muslim leader Sir Iqbal Sacranie later met at Westminster City Hall to protest against the bill.

Sir Iqbal, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: "We all need to be vigilant in ensuring that the government's proposed measures do not jettison fundamental freedoms at the cost of providing little or no guarantee of extra security."

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw later published a dossier detailing how 10 other western countries dealt with terror suspects.

But Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Mark Oaten said the document undermined ministers' arguments.

Foreign Office officials acknowledged that none of the other countries had powers to detain suspects for up to three months without charge.

Officials said the UK could not be directly compared with the other countries because - unlike elsewhere - the police could no longer question a suspect once they had been charged.

wasalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ameeratul Layl
10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
:sl:

It really is heartbreaking to see such things going on....especially wen they are against you.
But, you know what, Allah has said that if we remember Him and Ask Him for Help. Then, NO ONE will be able to defeat us.
So, I think that as Muslims we should have a little bot of sabr.

May Allah make it easier for us to remain on the Path. Siratim MustaQeem. Ameen.

Oh yes! JazakAllah for the post brother sudaiysee.

Allah ma3akum

MetSudaisTwice
10-13-2005, 09:46 AM
ameen
wasalam

- Qatada -
10-13-2005, 09:54 AM
masha Allah! just remember that this life is nothing compared to the akhirah.. and if this life is hard then insha Allah the akhirah will be alot more easier.

Mustawrid ibn Shaddaad (Radhiallaahu Anhu) narrates that I heard the Prophet of Allah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) saying, ‘By Allah, (the luxuries of) this world in comparison to the hereafter is nothing but as though one of you dipped his finger in the sea. So ponder how much (of sea water), the finger returns with’. (Mishkaat pg.439; Edition Me’raaj)

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ameeratul Layl
10-13-2005, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
masha Allah! just remember that this life is nothing compared to the akhirah.. and if this life is hard then insha Allah the akhirah will be alot more easier.

Mustawrid ibn Shaddaad (Radhiallaahu Anhu) narrates that I heard the Prophet of Allah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) saying, ‘By Allah, (the luxuries of) this world in comparison to the hereafter is nothing but as though one of you dipped his finger in the sea. So ponder how much (of sea water), the finger returns with’. (Mishkaat pg.439; Edition Me’raaj)

:sl:
JazakAllah ya akhee.
Allah ma3ak

MetSudaisTwice
10-13-2005, 09:57 AM
salam
mashallah a great hadith bro jazakallah
wasalam

Halima
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee

mashallah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.