/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Using an Asthma Inhaler During Ramadhaan.

Abunaaila
10-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Answered by Shaikh Muhammad bin Saalih al-'Uthaimeen (rahimahullaah)

Source: Fataawaa 'Ulamaa' al-Balad al-Haraam, p. 297

Question:
Certain drug stores have inhalers used by some asthmatic people. Is
it permissible for the fasting person to use them (the inhalers)
during the day in Ramadaan?

Answer:
It is permissible for the fasting person to use an inhaler, be it in
Ramadaan or not. The contents of the inhaler does not enter the
stomach. It enters the windpipe and opens (expands it). Following
that people are able to breathe normally again. Therefore it cannot
be compared to food or drink or to food or drink that enters the
stomach.

It is common knowledge that the fast is valid and correct, so long as
there is no proof from the Qur'aan, Sunnah, Ijmaa' or correct analogy
pointing to it being other than that.

Using an Inhaler During for the Fasting Person

Question:

What is the ruling on a fasting person using an inhaler for breathing
problems, and does it break the fast?

Answer:

This spray is vaporised and does not reach the stomach, so in that
case, we say that there is no objection to using it when you are
fasting, and it will not cause you to break your fast, because as we
have said, none of its particles enter the stomach. Since it is
something that is defused and vaporised, and it disappears, then none
of it reaches the stomach, therefore it is permissible for you to use
it when you are fasting and the fast is not invalidated by it.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Arkaanul-Islaam, DARUSSALAM, Vol.2, p.658

www.fatwaislam.com

Guidelines & Fataawa Related to Sickness and Medical Practice page 187

Question:

Does the fast become nullified by the use of an inhaler?

Answer:

It dose not nullify it, so long as you do not swallow it. But do not
use it unless there is absolute necessity, and your fast is not
broken so long as nothing of it goes into your stomach

Shaikh ibn Uthaimeen- Al-Muslimoon

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
10-14-2005, 12:56 PM
jazak Allah for that bro - i'm sure alot of other brothers and sisters might have been confused about this.. in the past our family used to be unsure too.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

aytekin1
10-15-2005, 01:49 PM
salam alaikum

i had went to a ramadan course 2 weeks ago and the shaikh had said that the asthma does breeak the fast because you can taste it in the throat.

what are your oppinions??

Sista
10-18-2005, 04:36 PM
yep same with me because the imam of my local mosque said that using an inhaler to blow a puff in the throat, or mouth or nostrils DOES invalidate your fast...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
eyes_of_mine
10-19-2005, 03:25 AM
I saw a very respect sheik answer this question on Islam channel about asthma inhalers and he gave exactly the same reply as the sheikhs listed in Abunaiila's post.
It makes perfect sense, also the flu jab was anther thing permitted, whilst last year I heard a muslim sister saying she wont have a flu jab becuase it will break the fast it appears it will not break the fast.
I can't remember what he said about blood tests.

~*Sister*~
10-19-2005, 02:47 PM
salaam

i think having a flu jab can brake ur fast as certain anti biotics are injected in to your blood.

w.salaam

Ameeratul Layl
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~*Sister*~
salaam

i think having a flu jab can brake ur fast as certain anti biotics are injected in to your blood.

w.salaam

:sl: Yes, it does break ur fast sis.

MetSudaisTwice
10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
salam
yes i think having injections does break your fast
wasalam

eyes_of_mine
10-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Salams
Well since none of you (with all due respect) are scholors Im going to trust the scholor on this his reason made logical sense, it went something like it will not break the fast because it is not food or water, it is not swallowed or inhaled so it cannot and wont break fast, seriously dont take my word for it, please check with a scholor and ask him the reason why.

Abunaaila
10-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Question :

Is there any consensus amongst Muslim scholars as to which medicinal preperations are permitted whilst fasting. More specifically are: a)tablets/syrups b)inhalers for asthma c)suppositories and d)intravenous forms of treatment allowed.
The question of inhalers for asthma is very pertinent to us in the UK, as some 20% of young people now suffer from asthma.
I would appreciate a detailed response with reference to any conference proceedings etc if possible

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

There follows a list of a number of things used in the medical field, explaining what does and does not break the fast. This is a summary of shar’i research presented to the Islamic Fiqh Council during its regular meetings:

I – The following things do not have any effect on the fast:

Eye drops, ear drops, ear syringing, nose drops and nasal sprays – so long as one avoids swallowing any material that may reach the throat.

Tablets or lozenges that are placed beneath the tongue for the treatment of angina pectoris etc., so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

Vaginal pessaries, douching, use of a speculum, or internal digital examination.

Introduction of a scope or coil (IUD), etc., into the uterus.

Introduction of a scope or catheter into the urethra (male of female), or injection of dyes for diagnostic imaging, or of medication, or cleaning of the bladder.

Drilling of teeth (prior to filling), extraction or polishing of teeth, using a miswaak or toothbrush, so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

Rinsing, gargling or applying topical treatment in the mouth, so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

Injections, whether subcutaneous, intra-muscular or intra-venous – with the exception of those used for purposes of nutrition.

Oxygen.

Anaesthetics, so long as they do not supply nutrition to the patient.

Medicines absorbed through the skin, such as creams, lotions and patches used to administer medication through the skin.

Introduction of a catheter into the veins in order to examine or treat the vessels of the heart or other organs.

Laparoscopy for the purpose of diagnosis or surgical treatment of the abdominal organs.

Biopsies of the liver and other organs, so long as this is not accompanied by the administration of nutrients.

Gastroscopy, so long as this is not accompanied by the administration of nutrients.

Introduction of medicine or instruments into the brain or spinal cord.

Involuntary vomiting (as opposed to self-induced vomiting).

II – The Muslim doctor should advise his patient to postpone the above-described treatments and procedures until after he has broken his fast, if it is safe to do so and will not cause any harm (even if these procedures will not have any effect on his fast).

Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islami (Islamic Fiqh Council), p. 213. (www.islam-qa.com)

Question :

I am going to have two non-invasive medical procedures during the month of Ramadaan, and I am going to take a drug via injection during these two procedures. Will my fast be invalidated by that?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Being given medicine via injection does not break the fast, whether it is intramuscular or intravenous, so long as the injected substance does not provide nutrition, because in that case it is like food and drink which are forbidden to the one who is fasting.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (10/252):

It is permissible to be given medicine via injection into the muscles or veins when fasting during the day in Ramadaan. But it is not permissible for the fasting person to be given nutrients during the day in Ramadaan, because that comes under the same rulings as consuming food and drink, and this injection is regarded as a means of breaking the fast in Ramadaan. If it is possible to give the injection into a muscle or vein during the night, that is preferable. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the spread of anaesthesia through the body – does that break the fast? And what about the flow of blood when a tooth is extracted?

He replied:

Neither of these breaks the fast, but the blood that flows after removal of a tooth should not be swallowed. End quote.

Fataawa Ramadaan, p. 525

It makes no difference whether it is a local or general anaesthetic. Many of the fuqaha’ have stated that if a person who is unconscious is awake for even a moment of the day, his fast is valid, so long as he formed the intention to fast from the night before.

Imaam al-Shaafa’i said in al-Umm (8/153):

If a man loses consciousness for a day or two days during the month of Ramadaan, and he did not eat or drink anything, then he has to make up those days. But if he was awake for part of the day, then he is regarded as having fasted on that day. End quote.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni (4/343):

If he was unconscious for the whole day and did not wake up at all, then his fast is not valid, according to the view of our imam (i.e., Imam Ahmad) and al-Shaafa’i…

If the person who was unconscious woke up for a part of the day, his fast is valid, whether that was at the beginning or the end of the day. End quote.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.