/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Explanatory notes of Imam Nawawai's (rahimallah) 40 Ahadtih

Abunaaila
10-14-2005, 01:32 PM
by Shaykh Muhammad Uthaymin (rahimallah)
pg. 109-110

Hadith No.# 21
Say: "I believe in Allah and then remain steadfast upon that"

On the authority of Abu Amr-and it is said- Abu Amrah Sufyan ibn Abdullah (radiallahu ahn) that he said: I said, "O Messenger of Allah, tell me something about Islam that I cannot ask anyone other than you." He (alayhi salatual wasalam) said, "Say, 'I believe in Allah and then remain steadfast upon that" *

* Sahih Muslim # 38, At-Tirhmidhi #2410, Ibn Majah #3972; Sharh-us-Sunnah of Imam Baghawi*

Explanation of the Hadith (Sh. Uthaymin)

His Statement, "Tell me something about Islam that I cannot ask anyone other than you." This means a statment that is clear, evident, & comprehensive. He (alayhi salatul wasalam)said, "Say, I believe in Allah and then remain steadfast upon that." "I believe in Allah", this occurs in the heart. Being steadfast occurs with action. So the prophet (alayhi salatual wasalam) gave him two statements that encompasses the entire religion. "I believe in Allah" encompasses everything that Allah, the Mighty, the Majestic informed about Himself, the Last Dayu, the Messengers & everything that He sent with them. It also includes submission, so due to this he said, "and then remain steadfast upon that." This is based upon Iman. He brought (the word) "then" indicating order, uprightness, adhering to the straight path of those whom Allah blessed the prophets, truthful, martyrs, & righteous. When a person bases his life on these 2 statements, he will have bliss in this life and the next.

And from benefits of this hadith:

~ The enthusiasm of the Companions in aksing quesitions that which would benefit them in this life and the next.

~ The intellect of Abu Amr, or Abu Amrah when asked this remarkable, decisive question. He desisted from asking anyone else when he said, "Tell me something about Islam that I cannot ask anyone other than you."

~ This hadith is the most comprehensive and beneficial advice; faith in Allah and the remaining steadfast upon that by his statement, "I believe in Allah and then remain steadfast uopn that."

~ Faith in Allah does not suffice without uprightness. Rather, it is imperative to believe in Allah and be steadfast upon His religion.

~ The religion of Islam is based on these 2 affairs:
1) The place of Iman is the heart
2) The place of uprightness is the limbs. Even if the heart has a portion of this (ie., these actions) the origin is that it is on the limbs, and Allahu Alim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.