/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Going to Tunisia in 2 months

Nothern Comfort
10-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Basically, I want to be able to converse at a basic level, but I'm not sure which dialect to learn. I've got a course in Gulf Arabic, Egyptian Arabic and Eastern Arabic, which dialect would be mostly understood in Tunisia?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Genius
10-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Maghrebi

Nothern Comfort
10-23-2005, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
Maghrebi
Hmm, so Maghrebi is pretty much the North African dialect, correct?

Also, would any of those other dialects be understood in North African countries?

Genius
10-23-2005, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nothern Comfort
Hmm, so Maghrebi is pretty much the North African dialect, correct?

Also, would any of those other dialects be understood in North African countries?
Yeh most should be understood in N.Africa, my friends are from Algeria, also maghrebi and they have no problem understanding people from the Gulf or Syria etc.

I think you should learn MSA (modern standard arabic) understood everywhere.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
10-23-2005, 10:00 PM
i got this info. off a site -

That said, the local dialects of Arabic can be quite different from place to place, country to country.

The Arabic spoken in;

Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia – the Maghrebi dialect – is heavily influenced by French and Berber.

Egyptian dialect is quite distinct, but is widely understood since Cairo is home to the major Arabic film and television studios.

Syrians, Palestinians and Lebanese speak the Levantine dialect, which is markedly softer than the guttural sounds of the Gulf Arabic.

Unless people from one end of the Arab speaking world converse in Modern Standard Arabic (the written language), they run the risk of being either misunderstood or not understood at all.

Allah u a'lam (Allah (swt) knows best.)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.