[quote] This is a quote[/q_uote]
Result:
This is a quote
Method 2:
[quote=nameofperson] This is a quote from a specific person [/q_uote]
Result:
format_quote Originally Posted by nameofperson
This is a quote from a specific person
(I intentionally wrote q_uote instead of quote so that the format wouldn't b made and you could see the code)

Ali_Cena
10-24-2008, 07:08 PM
[quote=Abdul Fattah] You need to close your first tag.

Method 1:
This is a quote[/q_uote]
Result:
lol thanks brother abdul

Ali_Cena
10-24-2008, 07:08 PM
lol yah i get it lol thanks

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali_Cena
10-31-2008, 12:12 PM
lol anymore questions?

root
11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Well if you find that absurd, that probably reflects more on your bias rather then on my arguments. Biological evolution, if you analyze the words means any evolution within the fields of biology.
I will accept this premis

Abiogenesis is a suggested hypothesis for biology, and abiogenesis suggests how living organisms evolved out of lifeless matter.
So we move away from biology, as you defined earlier and we are now in the realm of chemistry! That's not biological evoultion is it!

So it is a hypothesis concerning biology and it is a hypothesis concerning evolution. Like I said, it's a semantical issue. The theory of "the evolution of the different species" on the other hand, is a term coined by Darwin to refer to a specific theory that does not include abiogenesis.
I agree, I already told you this and you have proven it for me :D

So Like I said, if you find that absurd, that is more likely to reflect on your bias rather then on my argument. Now will you stop flaming about that same irrelevant issue already? How about you try and bring me some proofs for common descent or something, try something constructive.
I don't find it absurd that Abiogenesis has zippo to do with biological evolution as YOU define it. As for common descent, your two points have already been shown to be false.

You're gonna pull rank on me? This isn't the military. Let's judge arguments by their own merits, not by their source. And because the majority commits a logical fallacy (sweeping generalization), that must be true? That in itself is a logical fallacy to, called the bandwagon fallacy.
I probably agree with you, just because everyone thinks 2 + 2 = 4 does not actually make it so, you agree don't you!

Your analogy is flawed, I challenge you to show where in any of my posts or websites I have committed such an exploit. It's easy to throw accusations, its' another thing to back them up!
And so, another day will arrive tomorrow. Though how can I prove it.

Abdul Fattah
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
So we move away from biology, as you defined earlier and we are now in the realm of chemistry! That's not biological evoultion is it!
No, it is! It concerns biology, it deals with biological entities. In universities, this is even thought in biology-classes! So it is definitely part of biology to, and not purely part of chemistry.

Anyway, this is a stupid argument, completely semantical and off topic. So for heaven's sake stop flaming about it already. :exhausted

As for common descent, your two points have already been shown to be false.
No they have not. People have attempted to show that they are false, but I have refuted each such attempt so my argument still stands. You're welcome to link to the post that you think proved me wrong if you disagree.

And so, another day will arrive tomorrow. Though how can I prove it.
What a bad comparison. First of all nobody can prove or guarantee that a new day will arrive tomorrow. People simply assume that it would, because a new day has arrived every day up until now. So you compare your inability to prove that a new day will come with your inability to back up your baseless accusations against me; you are in a way implying that you assume I am wrong simply because I have been wrong all the time. But if you'll look back at my history of posts, you'll see that contrary to your suggestion I have been right most of the time! So based on your own line of thinking, you should assume the opposite!

Be that as it may, in this forum you either prove your point or remain silent. This thread does not benefit from 20 people saying: "I think you're wrong, I think you're right".

root
11-03-2008, 09:54 PM
No, it is! It concerns biology, it deals with biological entities. In universities, this is even thought in biology-classes! So it is definitely part of biology to, and not purely part of chemistry.
WOW, rewind. We are talking about how abiogenesis is NOT part of the theory of evolution. You have already stated that the abiogenesis hypothosis starts with non living matter, I agreed and pointed out that lifeless matter is not biology but chemistry.

All of a sudden you seem to disagree with your own assumptions......

The main point being, the theory of evolution deals with living biology and not lifeless matter, your in an eternal loop caught out by your own strange reasoning.

Anyway, this is a stupid argument, completely semantical and off topic. So for heaven's sake stop flaming about it already. :exhausted
As long as abiogenesis and evolution are spoken in the same text (and u do it time and time again, I don't see it as off topic....

No they have not. People have attempted to show that they are false, but I have refuted each such attempt so my argument still stands. You're welcome to link to the post that you think proved me wrong if you disagree.
Really, OK if you say so. "how do they know it's a retrovirus"! Because they reverse engineered one. I think that hits the nail on the head and disqualifies your point. Honestly.

What a bad comparison. First of all nobody can prove or guarantee that a new day will arrive tomorrow. People simply assume that it would, because a new day has arrived every day up until now. So you compare your inability to prove that a new day will come with your inability to back up your baseless accusations against me; you are in a way implying that you assume I am wrong simply because I have been wrong all the time. But if you'll look back at my history of posts, you'll see that contrary to your suggestion I have been right most of the time! So based on your own line of thinking, you should assume the opposite!
Why don't we stop this bull and say, science cannot prove nothing about anything. Only "RELIGION" claims absolute truth, science offers only a probability of something being either true or false, so you say "prove" it.

That's all good and well, prove the flat earth society wrong, prove scientology false, of course you can't. Let me ask you this Steve. What level of evidence would lead YOU to believe that the theory of evolution is probably & roughly an answer as to how we are here today!!! (really interested in your answe........

Be that as it may, in this forum you either prove your point or remain silent. This thread does not benefit from 20 people saying: "I think you're wrong, I think you're right".
Here we go again, prove. Let's face it Steve. You can't even prove 4 + 4 = 8

It's the "prove" line again, I already said. Absolute proof is only offered by the religous, not by science.

Hamayun
11-04-2008, 08:25 PM
science offers only a probability of something being either true or false, so you say "prove" it.
So if you are happy to accept "probabilities" how about the "probability" of a creator? Why is that "probability" thrown out of the window?

root
11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
So if you are happy to accept "probabilities"?
I don't think "happy" is the correct term, I am not happy about it at all. The cold face of reality leaves me no alternative, and it sucks.

how about the "probability" of a creator?
It's so improbable as to be nearly impossible.

Why is that "probability" thrown out of the window?
Because it is on par with the scientologist explanation and the many other creationist stories of which creationism (adam & eve) whatever has absolutely no supporting evidence, and I tell ya. Don't think for one second that if scientific proof was available that supported the many creationist stories, we would know about them. Religions would be shouting it from the top of the roof.

Another minor point of course that to call in a "supernatural entity" as an explanation in non-scientific and thus cannot be validated within the realms of science.

I was reading an article the other month about a eminant christian religous leader, he actually claims global warming to be God's punishment for our sins. True, this can never scientifically be "proven false". However, I am inclined to believe that global warming is "probably" man made............. and actually preying to god ain't going to fix the problem

Sami234
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
"Nearly impossible" : LOL. Have you ever thaugth that MAYBE your brain cells can't understand everything?

Hamayun
11-05-2008, 06:54 PM
It's so improbable as to be nearly impossible.
I rest my case lol :)

Your argument of "everything came from nothing" theory seems a lot more improbable than the idea of Intelligent design to a staggering number of people in the world.

Who is right? Obviously you think you are... but are you?

czgibson
11-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Greetings,

Your argument of "everything came from nothing" theory seems a lot more improbable than the idea of Intelligent design to a staggering number of people in the world.

Atheists do not claim to know where everything came from.

Peace

Chuck
11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't think "happy" is the correct term, I am not happy about it at all. The cold face of reality leaves me no alternative, and it sucks.
why it sucks? And what cold face reality?

root
11-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Oh, dear. You just seem incapable of understanding that the theory of evolution DOES NOT seek to answer how anything came from nothing, it never has tried to answer that, further it's an entirely different theory that is NOT part of the theory of evolution....

Hamayun
11-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh, dear. You just seem incapable of understanding that the theory of evolution DOES NOT seek to answer how anything came from nothing, it never has tried to answer that, further it's an entirely different theory that is NOT part of the theory of evolution....
Where did I mention Evolution? :?

Are you even reading my posts???

wth1257
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
rawr!

wth1257
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I think it's a tad absurd that you talk about "Technical Arguement" then try to ask us to swallow Evolution of the different species and biological evolution. I know you do that in the same manner as you do micro-evolution and macro-evolution except to all the top scientists in this field (which you are not one of them) and BTW the majority of them simply state that they are all part of the same brush.

However, I concede as I have to do that a probability remains that you are correct in as much the same odds that I to must concede that 4 + 4 = 9 and that everytime anyone does that sum they too get it wrong when they get 8. It's this that creationist's like to exploit, that science cannot and does not provide absolute proof for anything. It merely attaches a probability.

Despite the fact 4 + 4 = 9 has a probability of being correct, I also consider it a very miniscule probability compared to 4 + 4 = 8 having a greater probability.......

There is no probability that 4+4 could ever equal 9.

The fact that you would say this suggests to me a fundamental confusion about the logic of scientific discovery as opposed to the fundamentals of mathematics. One rests on inductive inferences and Modus Tollens and the other is constructed from set theory and deductive logic.

Why you like the throw around "probability" so much I do not know. I assume you wish to parrot Dawkins who made a similar claim about the probability of God. Nevertheless probability is actually a science built up by mathematicians and logicians and as such there is actually more entailed to determining "probability" that just throwing the term out there. It's a bit more complicated than a kind of half***** personal intuition.

Sami234
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
1-Either you believe all of what we see came from nothing
2-Either you believe that the world just exist and that's all.

The brother was saying "I think both those beliefs are far more impossible than the belief in God".

That's all.

Ali_Cena
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
exactly brother sami, the thing i find with atheist is that they well rely on science, becuase well you cant lie root, you have to that is the only alternative you cant say that we did not evolve and we were created and then say thier is no God, you have to rely on science, and the 2 theorys that explain why you are here (Evoluiton, and Big Bang) both of them do not state how Life/Universe started but only explaining how they evolved into human beings, or evolved into being stars and planets, so you must ethier belive that

1)everthing came from nothing or
2) everything just came and is just thier

both of with are "I think both those beliefs are far more impossible than the belief in God".

Ali_Cena
11-11-2008, 05:47 PM
i will now post some reasons why the theory of evolution does not include how life came into existance take directly from Abdul Fattah's website for faster transfer lol:
Theory or hypothesis?

First one on the list is abiogenesis. Most evolutionists will avoid this theory claiming it is not a part of evolution. That is why I started of by pointing out the importance of correct terminology. Abiogenesis is not a part of "the evolution of the different species"; however the theory of abiogenesis it is a part of "biological evolution".

Well actually since there are a lot of gaps here -as stated before- abiogenesis is closer to hypothesis rather than a theory. Some scientists speculate that it happened, but they failed to explain in detail exactly how it happened. Since, it's strictly speculation at this point, no proof, no falsifiability and no testability; in all common sense, we should even label this as science. The confusion though, is that this hypothesis is backed up with some scientific speculation, which makes the hypothesis appear scientific in nature. But that however doesn't change the lack of falsifiability, testability and proofs. That being said, lets look at some of the challenges of this theory.

Criteria for the first life

At first one might suggest that the first life form was a virus, since that would have been the easiest to create, since it requires the least number of parts. However a virus is parasitic in nature, and needs a host to reproduce. Another problem with the idea of the first life form being a virus is, that even if there would find a way that this virus would reproduce, it would never be able to evolve into a one-celled-organism. As soon as it would do so, the new evolved organism would immediately be invaded by it's brethren viruses, and wouldn't stand a fighting chance to survival. For this and many more problems, most abiogenesists suggest that the first living organism was a single-cell organism. But even the most simple one-celled organism is incredibly complex when looked at from a chemical level. It requires very specific molecules to be build in very specific manners at very specific places. It's like suggesting that a fully operative factory with working personal included was created from a tornado passing trough a scrapyard and then passing trough a cemetery. Even if the explanation brings you the right components, the tornado lacks the methodology to make those parts into a working plant with living operators. I said "even if", because neither abiogeneses nor evolution can even account for all the necessary parts, let alone explain how they were used together to build a cell. So let us consider what criteria the first biological entity should have had in order to evolve into the different species we know today.

1. A container that keeps the different parts of the life form together.
2. A way to harvest energy.
3. An information carrier like RNA, DNA or another nucleic acid.
4. A way to reproduce.

1. A container that keeps the different parts of the life form together.

For the first part, the container, that sounds very plausible at first. From a chemical point of view, it's not that hard to create a membrane. And some promising work has been done in this field. However, that doesn't cut the mustard. A simple membrane enclosing all the parts would make it a closed system, we need our organism to have some basic interactions with its environment for the second criteria. If our organism should be able to harvest energy from it's environment, it needs "floodgates" in it's membrane that keeps harmful substances out but allows useful ones to enter. There can of course be many substances speculated on which this alleged first organism survived on. So depending on which form of energy it lived on, we need to adjust our membrane to allow that specific substance to pass.

2. A way to harvest energy.

We also need some organelles to harvest and convert this energy which again depends on which form of energy this system lives on. The energy will among other things be required to counter entropy at some point and guarantee the survival of the organism. Evolutionists propose that the first organism was a prokaryote; an organisms without any organelles in its cell that have a membrane-boundary. Most such organisms harvest energy by converting Dihydrogen (4H2) and Carbondioxide (CO2) into (CH4) and (2H2O). This is a process that requires very specific catalysts. Not only to convert the Carbondioxide and Dihydrogen to produce the methane; but also to fix a small remaining percentage of the CO2 into the cell structure.

3. An information carrier like RNA, DNA or another nucleic acid.

The biggest challenge to the theory is DNA or RNA. And without it, there can be no evolution, without it no progress of previous life can be past down. And without passing down information, you cannot build up something, you cannot have an evolution. Since all living things have RNA or DNA, abiogenesists would expect the very first alive being to have it as well..Those molecules however are immensely complex. So the biggest challenge to abiogenesis is explaining how it could have formed spontaneously out of lifeless matter. But we encounter a paradox a bit similar as the chicken or the egg problem. Organisms carry genetic information in these nucleic acids; in their RNA or DNA. This information is then used to specify the composition of the amino acid sequences of all the proteins each cell needs to make. The cell also relies on organelles built out of proteins to replicate DNA or RNA during cell-division. So these proteins are required for self-perpetuation. So the question is: How did such a circular system come to existence? This is a real paradox. Nucleic acids are made with the help of proteins and proteins are made with the presence of their corresponding nucleotide sequence. So which of those two was first? The chicken or the egg? Common sense suggests that they were both created independently; which is even harder to phantom.

In 1953 the Miller-Urey experiment was conducted that attempted to mimic the conditions on earth during the time life originated. They mixed water and hydrogen as well as methane and ammonia. Then they used electrodes to emit electrical charges into the mixture. After several days of continuously charging the mixture with sparks, they managed to get about 2% of amino acids. However, much larger percentage of substances that are harmful to life also were created trough the process. Next to that the experiment didn't account by far for all types of amino acids required to make the needed proteins. Furthermore the experiment also failed to explain how these amino acids would then go on to form the required proteins. The experiment also showed some of the building blocks for nuclide acids, but again does not account for how they could have formed DNA/RNA. Furthermore, there were both left handed as well as right handed isomers in a 50% to 50% ratio, whereas only one type is used in our DNA.

Now, often people reply that this experiment only lasted a couple of days or a week, whereas the earth existed millions of years for this process to take place. But how does this change anything? The experiment was a controlled structured environment, whereas earth was an open unstructured chaotic environment, if anything the experiment should bring forth life a lot faster then the earth did, that is off course, if abiogenesis would be true. But let me expose the flaw in this counterargument by making a comparison. Lets say mankind cannot run 100m in 3.2 sec. We are simply unable to do so. Now if a track would run a stretch of 100m on a track of 200m or 300m or even 1000m; that would still not enable anyone to run those 100m of that track in 3.2 sec. In other words the length of the track -as long as it is longer then 100 meter- hardly affects the possibility of the performance because the additional length has no bearing on the likeliness of the performance. Likewise; the many years that the universe existed, and the many planets that were suitable for this process to occur does not influence the likeliness of such a process to be possible. If a process that should take 5 minutes cannot occur in a week, it cannot occur in a million years either. The amount of time available, as long as it is enough, doesn't make the chemically impossible into probable. Just putting ingredients together and stirring it up doesn’t suffice. That’s as ludicrous as saying that if you shake a box of Lego blocks long enough, eventually the building blocks in the box will spontaneously construct the house that is displayed on the front of the box.

But that's just the beginning. Next to the shortcomings of the experiment a lot of other criticism exists as to how representative it was. The experiment did not contain oxygen, since oxygen generally oxidizes anything it comes in contact with. This oxidation is quite destructive. Some scientists reply to this that the atmosphere didn't contain oxygen at that time. Be that as it may, no oxygen means that there also was no ozone, which is formed by oxygen. Ozone blocks us from UV light from the sun. Without ozone we'd be bombarded by it. And UV-light breaks down ammonia, one of the major components of the experiment. So I guess you're catching my drift by now. Either the experiment should have contained oxygen, to account for the presence of ammonium or we have to explain the high presence of ammonium despite the lack of ozone.

Another angle to looking at it -panspermia- is even more far fetched. Rather then only suggesting lightning struck at the exact same spot for a whole week, it also suggest that a meteor carrying amino acids also hit the very same spot. Now it is true that some meteors carry amino acids and that under unique circumstances the impact could cause peptides. But these peptides are short chains of amino acids, not the long proteins necessary for life. Furthermore it's even more unlikely considering not just any meteor would fit the bill. It has to be exactly the right size. Not to small so it doesn't burn up in the atmosphere destroying the amino acids, and not to big so the impact isn't to destructive either. At the same time delivering enough energy for the chemical process to take place. Also note, that this shifts part of the problem. It's true that some meteors carry amino acids, but how did those amino acids form in the meteor in the first place? This simply avoids the problem of having to explain how these molecules were formed trough natural processes.
4. A way to reproduce. Reproduction is obviously also a vital part.

If the organism just dies out without reproducing itself, the process of abiogenesis would just have to start all over again. As I said before we would have to have the right nucleic acids and the right proteins as well. The process of DNA reproduction, which is vital to cell division and reproduction is a very complex process which relies on different organelles.
Conclusion.

So I think you would see by now that the process of abiogenesis is most unlikely. And by unlikely I do not mean there are a number of different possible outcomes of which abiogenesis is just one. I do not mean it as a statistical implausibility. It is unlikely much rather because the circumstances allegedly giving this outcome are insufficient to explain the process at all.

now if you want to get technical becuase thats all my mind could absorb then you can argue with brother Abdul on his arguments.
Peace Root

Abdul Fattah
11-16-2008, 04:27 AM
WOW, rewind. We are talking about how abiogenesis is NOT part of the theory of evolution. You have already stated that the abiogenesis hypothosis starts with non living matter, I agreed and pointed out that lifeless matter is not biology but chemistry.

All of a sudden you seem to disagree with your own assumptions......
No I am not disagreeing with my own assumptions at all. Abiogenesis may start with lifeless matter, but the theory ends with alive matter. That means that living organism is part of that theory. And the theory also discusses living organism (albeit only in the end). You seem to be assuming that since the theory starts purely chemical, that the complete theory is chemical. That is a sweeping generalization. Not only is that assumption flawed, but you're so biased in it, that you condemn and flame any opposing view (like mine) as being self-contradictory. Now that I have explained it yet again, could you let it go already :raging:

The main point being, the theory of evolution deals with living biology and not lifeless matter, your in an eternal loop caught out by your own strange reasoning.
Whatever :exhausted

As long as abiogenesis and evolution are spoken in the same text (and u do it time and time again, I don't see it as off topic....
Abiogenesis isn't off topic, but the semantics of it are. Really who cares what definition you have? This thread is supposed to be about content.
So Again I challenge you, bring some real arguments instead of persistently splitting hairs over something that I've explained you over and over again.

Really, OK if you say so. "how do they know it's a retrovirus"! Because they reverse engineered one. I think that hits the nail on the head and disqualifies your point. Honestly.
Your argument doesn't make sense. I never claimed that ERV's don't exist. I'm simply claiming that just because some people claim that certain genes are ERV's, doesn't necesairly mean that they are right. There's no way to be certain. And reverse engineering doesn't bring any guarantees into the picture.

Why don't we stop this bull and say, science cannot prove nothing about anything. Only "RELIGION" claims absolute truth, science offers only a probability of something being either true or false, so you say "prove" it.
Again with the splitting of hairs. Are you actually avoiding actual debate on purpose? Stop hiding already. Try talking some science, or at least keep it philosophical-logical. These ad hominems, and strawmen arguments and so on really don't flatter you.

That's all good and well, prove the flat earth society wrong, prove scientology false, of course you can't.
There are plenty of proofs against those. Some scientific, some historical, some psychological, and so on. Of course some people still believe in these things simply because they are to blind to accept these proofs and run away from them or avoid them. That you compare my strong will with that however is resentful. I haven't ran or avoided any argument at all. Instead I have taken on every argument you brought with a counter argument of the same, or even greater value. I've responded to scientific claims by scientific criteria, I responded to your philosophical arguments with other philosophical counters, and I replied to your logical conclusion, with logic. I am not being stuborn. I have good reasons to still believe what I believe, and I have brought them up repeatedly. If you fail to understand that, and out of frustration care to associate me with the likes of the flat-earth believers and the scientologists, then fine then perhaps that tells us more about you rather then it tells us something about me.

Let me ask you this Steve. What level of evidence would lead YOU to believe that the theory of evolution is probably & roughly an answer as to how we are here today!!! (really interested in your answe........
I will believe it when it's scientific. And right now, some parts are scientific (and I believe those parts) and some parts are not scientific (and I don't believe those parts). As far as what it takes for me to consider them scientific, the same standard as science puts for any other theory! It never stops amazing me how so many scientists have double standards for not excepting some theories based on their methodology, yet gladly accepting another based on doggy methodology. Some parts of evolution are simply not scientific! And as long as they aren't, I see them as pure speculation.

Here we go again, prove. Let's face it Steve. You can't even prove 4 + 4 = 8
It's the "prove" line again, I already said. Absolute proof is only offered by the religous, not by science.
It's axiomatic (sigh). And again I'm completely not interested in your semantical games about terms like "proof" and the likes. My sentence was very clear, it was simply saying that people in here have to back up their claims, and then you go hiding again behind some semantical argument about what the verb "to prove" means and whether or not is technically possible.

Fine then, be a troll if you must +o(

Ali_Cena
11-16-2008, 05:27 PM
LOL my next door neighbour can prove 4+4=8 and trust me he can prove it, so root you saying you cant even prove 4+4=8 can be proven try looking at "set theory". Or getting a degree in mathamatics or something.
Peace

Ali_Cena
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
hi all, by just looking around for "proof by condtrdiction theory"- so that you root can never use the argument of "you cant prove that 4+4=8 i found this, although you need a textbook to actually teach you this:

Let us look first to show that each of these proofs reduces to the same logic. In the following, p' is used to denote Not p, p+q to denote p or q. And we will need
(p and q)' = p'+q'.
p implies q has the logic q + p'. That is, either q is true or p is not true.
The contrapositive is q' implies p'. This has the logic
p'+ (q')' = p' + q. This is the same logic as before.
To prove by contradiction, we must prove that
q' and p is false
(q' and p)' is true
q + p' is true, again the same logic.
Here p is a|b and (a|c)'. q is a|(b+c)
To prove contradiction we must prove
a|(b+c) and (a|b) and (a|c)' false.
b+c=xa, b=ya, then c = a(x-y) implying a|c, in contradiction to (a|c)'.
Now for the contrapositive.
p' is (a|b and (a|c)')' = (a/b)' or a|c.
q' is a|(b+c) giving b+c=xa.
We have to prove q' implies p'.
If a|c, there is nothing to prove.
If (a|c)' then c=ya+r where 0<r<a
Then c = xa - b = ya +r.
b = a(x-y) - r, giving the other alternative that a does not divide b.

i dont understand this stuff, but yo might do. anyways do more reaserch on set theory and proof by contradiction theory and you will find how to prove 4+4=8 and not 7 or 6 lol anways Peace

Ali_Cena
11-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Salaam, Peace to you all,
i was just noticing; after reading the whole thread, that every argument has been dealt with about evolution, by brother Abdul Fattah, and what mainly happens, is that brother Root and Abdul Fattah, always end with some sort of "Proof" dilemma, and basically i would just like to say next time the word proof comes out brother Root do not come to the conculsion that brother Abdul Fattah can prove that 4+4=8 because he can from now, on ok given the theorys stated above ok. anways Peace to you, so if you still think that evolution is the right thing then tell us why and we will get back to you lol
Peace.

Abdul Fattah
11-27-2008, 10:06 PM
mashaAllah brother, you actually read the whole thread?!
That must have been exhausting :p

Ali_Cena
11-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Salaam, LOL true say brother Abdul, i took like 2 days or something, and at the end i got through it lol, it was like i had to do some courswork or something-it was exhausting but anywho,glad to see you are back, lol you dont come in IslamicBoard often imsad umm, anways
Peace

czgibson
11-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
hi all, by just looking around for "proof by condtrdiction theory"- so that you root can never use the argument of "you cant prove that 4+4=8 i found this, although you need a textbook to actually teach you this:

Let us look first to show that each of these proofs reduces to the same logic. In the following, p' is used to denote Not p, p+q to denote p or q. And we will need
(p and q)' = p'+q'.
p implies q has the logic q + p'. That is, either q is true or p is not true.
The contrapositive is q' implies p'. This has the logic
p'+ (q')' = p' + q. This is the same logic as before.
To prove by contradiction, we must prove that
q' and p is false
(q' and p)' is true
q + p' is true, again the same logic.
Here p is a|b and (a|c)'. q is a|(b+c)
To prove contradiction we must prove
a|(b+c) and (a|b) and (a|c)' false.
b+c=xa, b=ya, then c = a(x-y) implying a|c, in contradiction to (a|c)'.
Now for the contrapositive.
p' is (a|b and (a|c)')' = (a/b)' or a|c.
q' is a|(b+c) giving b+c=xa.
We have to prove q' implies p'.
If a|c, there is nothing to prove.
If (a|c)' then c=ya+r where 0<r<a
Then c = xa - b = ya +r.
b = a(x-y) - r, giving the other alternative that a does not divide b.

i dont understand this stuff, but yo might do. anyways do more reaserch on set theory and proof by contradiction theory and you will find how to prove 4+4=8 and not 7 or 6 lol anways Peace
I'm confused. How does posting something you don't understand help make your point?

As it stands, the logic you've quoted above is irrelevant to whether or not it's possible to prove 4+4=8.

Peace

Ali_Cena
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Greetings, well firstly my point was that you can prove 4+4=8, and whether or not me understanding it becuase of it being university level work, me being 16 what do you think? should i be able to understand and know university stuff?-no. secondly if you think that people can not prove 4+4=8 then you are wrong, my post might be irrelevent-as i was not aware of what was going on with the math, you might be, and if you think it doesnt well state how, if you are a mathmatician that is.
Well lets put it this way, 4+4=8 can be proven, if you think it cant then learn proof by contradiction, and set theory.

you state "whether or not its possible to prove 4+4=8" it is 100% likely that you can prove 4+4=8.

Example: Divisibility is Transitive
If a and b are two natural numbers, we say that a divides b if there is another natural number k such that b = a k. For example, 2917 divides 522143 because there is a natural number k (namely k = 179) such that 522143 = 2917 k.

Theorem. If a divides b and b divides c then a divides c.

Proof. By our assumptions, and the definition of divisibility, there are natural numbers k1 and k2 such that

b = a k1 and c = b k2.

Consequently,

c = b k2 = a k1 k2.

Let k = k1 k2. Now k is a natural number and c = a k, so by the definition of divisibility, a divides c.

If P, Then Q
Most theorems (homework or test problems) that you want to prove are either explicitly or implicity in the form "If P, Then Q". In the previous example, "P" was "If a divides b and b divides c" and "Q" was "a divides c". This is the standard form of a theorem (though it can be disguised). A direct proof should be thought of as a flow of implications beginning with "P" and ending with "Q".

P -> ... -> Q

Most proofs are (and should be) direct proofs. Always try direct proof first, unless you have a good reason not to.
It Seems Too Easy
If you find a simple proof, and you are convinced of its correctness, then don't be shy about. Many times proofs are simple and short.

In the theorem below, a perfect square is meant to be an integer in the form a2 where a itself is an integer and an odd integer is any integer in the form 2a+1 where a is an integer.

Theorem. Every odd integer is the difference of two perfect squares.

Proof. Suppose 2a+1 is an odd integer, then
2a+1 = (a+1)2 - a2.

Where's the proof? It's there. It's just very short.
Another Simple Example

Recall that a natural number is called composite if it is the product of other natural numbers all greater than 1. For example, the number 39481461 is composite since it is the product of 15489 and 2549.

Theorem. The number 100...01 (with 3n-1 zeros where n is an integer larger then 0) is composite.

Proof. We can rewrite our number as 100...01 = 103n + 1 where n is an integer larger than 0. Now use the identity a3 + b3 = (a+b)(a2 - a b + b2) with a = 10n and b = 1, to get

(10n)3 + 1 = (10n + 1)(102n - 10n + 1).

We will be done once we have shown that both factors (10n + 1) and (102n - 10n + 1) are greater than 1. In the first case, this is clear since 10n > 0 when n > 0. In the second case, 102n - 10n = 10n (10n - 1) > 0, when n > 0. This completes the proof.

Make sure you understand why it was neccessary to discuss the two cases at the end.
One-to-One Functions
A function f:X->Y is called one-to-one if for any pair a, b in X such that f(a) = f(b) then a = b. Also, if f:X->Y and g:Y->Z are two functions then the composition gf:X->Z is the function defined by gf(a) = g(f(a)) for every a in X. Note that the composition gf is only defined if the domain of f is contained in the range of g.

Theorem. If two one-to-one functions can be composed then their composition is one-to-one.

Proof. Let a and b be in X and assume gf(a) = gf(b). Thus, g(f(a)) = g(f(b)), and since g is one-to-one we may conclude that f(a) = f(b). Finally, since f is one-to-one, a = b.

Roots of Polynomials
A number r is called a root of the polynomial p(x) if p(r) = 0.

Theorem. If r1 and r2 are distinct roots of the polynomial p(x) = x2 + b x + c, then r1 + r2 = - b and r1 r2 = c.

Proof. It follows from our assumptions that p(x) will factor

p(x) = (x - r1) (x - r2)

If we expand the right hand side we get

p(x) = x2 - (r1 + r2) x + r1 r2.

Compare the coefficients above with those of p(x) = x2 + b x + c to get r1 + r2 = - b and r1 r2 = c.

now if you input the values of lets say 4 and 8 into for example P and Q or X you will be able to prove 4+4=8.
Peace out,

Ali_Cena
11-29-2008, 12:03 PM
the f-with the smily is f(x)

Ali_Cena
11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I'm confused. How does posting something you don't understand help make your point?

As it stands, the logic you've quoted above is irrelevant to whether or not it's possible to prove 4+4=8.

Peace
LOL i was going to ask you the same thing, how does stating "Im confused" help make YOUR point?????----How does posting something you dont understand---"Im confused" help make your point????????????? answer me this
Peace out.:rollseyes

czgibson
12-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Greetings,

You are something of a comedian, Ali Cena. :)

Greetings, well firstly my point was that you can prove 4+4=8, and whether or not me understanding it becuase of it being university level work, me being 16 what do you think? should i be able to understand and know university stuff?-no.
YES - if you are attempting to use it in debate.

secondly if you think that people can not prove 4+4=8 then you are wrong, my post might be irrelevent-as i was not aware of what was going on with the math, you might be, and if you think it doesnt well state how, if you are a mathmatician that is.
I'm not a mathematician; I'm just a person who reads a lot. I've already stated how your copy-pasted bit of text doesn't apply to the question at hand: it is directed towards a different problem. In the simplest possible way, it is irrelevant.

Well lets put it this way, 4+4=8 can be proven, if you think it cant then learn proof by contradiction, and set theory.
If you think it can, then read about Gödel's incompleteness theorems.

now if you input the values of lets say 4 and 8 into for example P and Q or X you will be able to prove 4+4=8.
Peace out,
Into which proof? You've given five, none of which are related to the question of whether you can prove 4 + 4 = 8.

The concept of addition relies on the basic axioms of mathematics, which themselves have to be assumed - they cannot be proven. We can prove addition is true only by reference to the axioms - further than that we cannot go.

Peace

Ali_Cena
12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Greetings,

You are something of a comedian, Ali Cena. :)
Hi CZ, umm you got some funny sense of humour...:rollseyes

YES - if you are attempting to use it in debate.
well i wasent in a debate, i was stating a point, basically i was just saying, that you can prove 4+4=8, i wasnt debating. so you are right if you are using it in a debate i shoulnd know my stuff, which i was not in.

I'm not a mathematician; I'm just a person who reads a lot. I've already stated how your copy-pasted bit of text doesn't apply to the question at hand: it is directed towards a different problem. In the simplest possible way, it is irrelevant.
i am not a mathamatis eathier. well its faster than putting it into your own word, especially if the main "letters" used have maths involved-which can be hard to type up:) well i dont think thier was a question involved; i mean no one gave me a question to answer, but it did have something to do with prooving stuff didint it? so i dont think it was irrelevent.

If you think it can, then read about Gödel's incompleteness theorems.
no thanks i will stick with AS mathamatics, lol why dont you read a bit about proof by contradiction theorm?, i mean you are older and i would suggest you are of university level> right?

Into which proof? You've given five, none of which are related to the question of whether you can prove 4 + 4 = 8.
umm i am positive you can prove it, i mean if i was in an exam, and the question was 4+4= x find x then i can put down any number, and then say well hold on it is not 8 cuz you cant prove that sir.. think about it, u telling me you cant prove 4+4=8, then i dont think maths has "EVOLVED" properly, and still at stage 1.

The concept of addition relies on the basic axioms of mathematics, which themselves have to be assumed - they cannot be proven. We can prove addition is true only by reference to the axioms - further than that we cannot go.
umm dont know what you were saying here-lol couldnt understand it

Peace
umm CZ if you found my reply funny; umm well i wasnt trying to amuse you.
second off the topic of this thread is BIOLOGICAL evolution, not how maths has evolved badly :D, so we shouldnt go far:thumbs_up

Peace to you anwways, see you around.

Hamayun
12-01-2008, 07:13 PM
I can prove 4 + 4 is 8.

Follow these simple steps:

1. Go to the supermarket

2. Buy 8 apples

3. Go back home

4. Put the apples on a table

5. Put 4 apples on one side and 4 apples on the other side of the table

6. Count the first group of 4 apples. The answer will be 4

7. Now count the second group of apples. The answer again is 4

8. Now merge the two groups of apples and count them again. The answer is 8

No offence but why go off on a tangent about something as silly as this? :?

Ali_Cena
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Asalaam wa alykum,
Brother Hamayun, i was just stating you can prove it, and then CZ starts saying no you cant lolz true it is a silly subject, that is obviouse-4+4=8

Hamayun
12-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Asalaam wa alykum,
Brother Hamayun, i was just stating you can prove it, and then CZ starts saying no you cant lolz true it is a silly subject, that is obviouse-4+4=8

I know Brother Ali but now CZ has my simple and easy instructions on how to add he will be able to prove it too. All he has to do is visit the supermarket.

Maybe I should write a book..... "How to add 4+4 for dummies" :rollseyes

Ali_Cena
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
lol joker, brother Hamayun,
Wasallam, see you around brohter.

czgibson
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Greetings,
I can prove 4 + 4 is 8.

Follow these simple steps:

1. Go to the supermarket

2. Buy 8 apples

3. Go back home

4. Put the apples on a table

5. Put 4 apples on one side and 4 apples on the other side of the table

6. Count the first group of 4 apples. The answer will be 4

7. Now count the second group of apples. The answer again is 4

8. Now merge the two groups of apples and count them again. The answer is 8
That proof assumes what it is trying to prove, i. e. that numbers behave in the way we have assumed they do.

No offence but why go off on a tangent about something as silly as this? :?
I can fully understand why you think this is not related to the topic. It started because of something that root said about the word "proof", which is something a lot of these discussions end up circling around.

It's not a silly subject though. The point is that the things we're talking about can't be proven outside of their frame of reference (if they can be proven at all, that is). Creationism can't be proven outside of a religious framework; evolution can't be proven outside of a biological framework; nothing in mathematics can be proven outside of a mathematical frame of reference.

Just because these systems may seem convincing to us doesn't necessarily mean they have anything to do with reality. They are systems we have invented to help us understand the world. Even mathematics, which self-evidently works, relies on assumptions that cannot be proven.

This doesn't take anything away from the usefulness of mathematics, but it does teach you something about the nature of "proof", which I would guess is the number one most frequently misunderstood word on this forum.

Ali Cena: ask your maths teacher whether they think 2 + 2 = 4 can be proven.

Peace

Ali_Cena
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Peace
LOL hi, umm if you read my previouse posts, i told you that even my next door neaghbour who has got a Masters degree in mathamatics, was telling me one day that in his university exam he was told to prove 1+1=2; lolz that sounds silly but trust me thats waht came on his exam papper,

i have told my teacher who is one of them maths geeks lol he said it can be proven man he told me to check on set theory, and proof by contradiction theory, i mean you look them up and FULLY UNDERSTAND THOSE theoroms, or whatever, and then get back to me. becuase even my next door neighbour had a questions proof 1+1=2,
:D trust me i wouldnt have said 4+4=8 can be proven withouth going to a specialist in maths.
Peace out roger doger.

Ali_Cena
12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, CZ go to this website for proof of 4+4=8:

http://us.metamath.org/mpeuni/4p4e8.html

czgibson
12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Greetings,

Hi, CZ go to this website for proof of 4+4=8:

http://us.metamath.org/mpeuni/4p4e8.html
I suppose I should have seen this coming: we are understanding different things by the word "proof". As usual.

I'm talking about proving something to be true. You're talking about mathematical proof (i.e., within a mathematical frame of reference).

Of course it's possible to prove 1 + 1 = 2 if you assume the axioms of mathematics. That's exactly what Metamath does. And well - it's a fascinating site.

But can we really prove that 1 + 1 = 2 is true? It certainly works, as all the feats of engineering in the world will attest, but it relies on assumptions that humans have created, and therefore cannot be proved outright.

This is the problem with words like "proof" and "truth": none of us can ever really get a handle on these concepts. To see the different interpretations people have of them, read this forum on any day of the week.

Evolution seems true for me, and creationism might seem true for you, but neither of us will ever get a proof of either of them. That is my belief, which obviously cannot be proven either!

Peace

Hamayun
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Greetings,

That proof assumes what it is trying to prove, i. e. that numbers behave in the way we have assumed they do.

There are no assumptions...

If you have 8 apples on a table it is a fact not an assumption.

If they were imaginary apples then maybe... but these are real apples.

wth1257
12-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Greetings,

I can fully understand why you think this is not related to the topic. It started because of something that root said about the word "proof", which is something a lot of these discussions end up circling around.

It's not a silly subject though. The point is that the things we're talking about can't be proven outside of their frame of reference (if they can be proven at all, that is). Creationism can't be proven outside of a religious framework; evolution can't be proven outside of a biological framework; nothing in mathematics can be proven outside of a mathematical frame of reference.

Just because these systems may seem convincing to us doesn't necessarily mean they have anything to do with reality. They are systems we have invented to help us understand the world. Even mathematics, which self-evidently works, relies on assumptions that cannot be proven.

This doesn't take anything away from the usefulness of mathematics, but it does teach you something about the nature of "proof", which I would guess is the number one most frequently misunderstood word on this forum.

Peace

That is not a proper understanding of axioms. There is nothing inherent about an axiom that is must be an unproveable proposition, it simply is an unproven proposition assumed usually for the purposes of extrapolation.

Two plus two can be proven mathematically within a given axiomatic system, as you mentioned, but people here are conflating judgements of quantity with mathematics. Mathematics has not been "the science of quantitity" saince the late 19th century. Eve saince Cantor, Hilber, Frege, Peno, etc we would say that mathematics is, essentially and not considering the three major "philosophies" or any smaller ones, set theory and logic. Within that framework 2+2=4 can be proven.

Tony
12-07-2008, 08:32 AM
In Greek mythology, it is Prometheus who created a race of ONLY men out of water and earth, and stole fire from the heaven to give them as a gift. Later on Zeus found at, and as [i]punishment[/i] Zeus created for them the first woman, Pandora, and sent her to dwell amongst them.

!!!!!!!! think Pandora was mild and gentle compared to my wife !!!!!!!!
only joling, Allahs peace and blessings be upon her

Ali_Cena
12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
:w:
Hi wth, good reply
glad to see you around
:sl:
peace

czgibson
12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
That is not a proper understanding of axioms. There is nothing inherent about an axiom that is must be an unproveable proposition, it simply is an unproven proposition assumed usually for the purposes of extrapolation.

Two plus two can be proven mathematically within a given axiomatic system, as you mentioned, but people here are conflating judgements of quantity with mathematics. Mathematics has not been "the science of quantitity" saince the late 19th century. Eve saince Cantor, Hilber, Frege, Peno, etc we would say that mathematics is, essentially and not considering the three major "philosophies" or any smaller ones, set theory and logic. Within that framework 2+2=4 can be proven.
Umm, show me where you disagree with me. I'm arguing exactly the same thing as you here!

Peace

YusufNoor
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
:sl:

an interesting quote from the BBC today:

To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I confess, absurd in the highest degree. CHARLES DARWIN (1809-82) The Origin of Species (1859)

just saying...

czgibson
12-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
an interesting quote from the BBC today:
Interesting, yet misleading when quoted out of context. Read the whole paragraph that Darwin wrote:

To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.
Peace

جوري
12-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Greetings,

Interesting, yet misleading when quoted out of context. Read the whole paragraph that Darwin wrote:

To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.
Peace

what is your understanding of the quote in the context you provided?

czgibson
12-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
what is your understanding of the quote in the context you provided?
Are you asking for an explanation of Darwin's words?

It ought to be clear that quoting the first sentence of the paragraph on its own completely alters the intended meaning of the full paragraph.

A bit like hearing someone saying "Don't Panic" and taking out the "Don't".

Peace

جوري
12-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Greetings,

Are you asking for an explanation of Darwin's words?

It ought to be clear that quoting the first sentence of the paragraph on its own completely alters the intended meaning of the full paragraph.

A bit like hearing someone saying "Don't Panic" and taking out the "Don't".

Peace
No-- I am asking for your understanding of Darwin's words!
not what it means to have half or full context!

peace

czgibson
12-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
No-- I am asking for your understanding of Darwin's words!
not what it means to have half or full context!

peace
Can you not see how reading the sentence out of context completely alters the meaning of Darwin's words?

Peace

YusufNoor
12-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Greetings,

Peace
it was just a quote from the BBC, in their "quote of the day"

i thought it was interesting! [and i read the whole quote! :D]

is that a crime now?

:blind:

جوري
12-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Greetings,

Can you not see how reading the sentence out of context completely alters the meaning of Darwin's words?

Peace
CZ, I am not asking you for context of half context.. I am simply asking you, your understanding of the full quote..

peace

wth1257
12-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Greetings,

Umm, show me where you disagree with me. I'm arguing exactly the same thing as you here!

Peace
You said mathematics rests upon assumptions that cannot be proven.

czgibson
12-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
You said mathematics rests upon assumptions that cannot be proven.
And I stand by that.

When you said "Within that framework 2+2=4 can be proven", I thought we were on the same page, but evidently not.

Peace

Gator
01-09-2009, 06:15 AM
In Lab, Clues To How Life Began
by Nell Greenfieldboyce

All Things Considered, January 8, 2009 · Scientists long to understand how a bunch of chemicals on the early Earth transformed themselves into the first living creatures. Now one lab has made a self-replicating set of RNA molecules that the scientists say may mimic what might have happened during the early evolution of life.

In the link below is the replay of the radio broadcast, for more information.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99132608

جوري
01-09-2009, 06:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
In Lab, Clues To How Life Began
by Nell Greenfieldboyce

All Things Considered, January 8, 2009 · Scientists long to understand how a bunch of chemicals on the early Earth transformed themselves into the first living creatures. Now one lab has made a self-replicating set of RNA molecules that the scientists say may mimic what might have happened during the early evolution of life.

In the link below is the replay of the radio broadcast, for more information.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99132608
:haha: thanks.. I like the 'lab has made' portion of that post.. and especially this comment by one of the commentators
The assemblage of the current RNA pre-cursor molecules was the result of intelligent human activity and design. Since no human was around to do this with the original molecules (or to create the molecules themselves!) it seems clear that another intelligent agent must have been involved. I wonder how interested we are in determining who that agent is.
on the very page.. nonetheless, and even with direct human manipulation I'll be interested in the outcome of that experiment..

Thanks for that..

cheers

Gator
01-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Just FYI. Here's a printed summary from Scripps on the previously posted NPR report on RNA replication.

http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/010809.html

Thanks.

wth1257
01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Greetings,

And I stand by that.
That is not what axioms are. Axioms are simply unproven assumptions, they need not be assumptions which can't be proven.

جوري
01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Just FYI. Here's a printed summary from Scripps on the previously posted NPR report on RNA replication.

http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/010809.html

Thanks.
indeed it is fascinating.. have you read it?

this for instance
For years, researchers have wondered whether there might be some simpler way to copy RNA, brought about by the RNA itself. Some tentative steps along this road had previously been taken by the Joyce lab and others, but no one could demonstrate that RNA replication could be self-propagating, that is, result in new copies of RNA that also could copy themselves.
and
In Vitro Evolution

A few years after Tracey Lincoln arrived at Scripps Research from Jamaica to pursue her Ph.D., she began exploring the RNA-only replication concept along with her advisor, Professor Gerald Joyce, M.D., Ph.D., who is also Dean of the Faculty at Scripps Research. Their work began with a method of forced adaptation known as in vitro evolution. The goal was to take one of the RNA enzymes already developed in the lab that could perform the basic chemistry of replication, and improve it to the point that it could drive efficient, perpetual self-replication.

nonetheless.. I will still be very interested of the outcome after much manipulation ..

cheers

Gator
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Just an interesting piece on transitional fossils.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...kw.TXsyrMDW7oF

Fossils Reveal Truth About Darwin's Theory

With the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin this week, people around the world are celebrating his role as the father of evolutionary theory. Events and press releases are geared, in part, to combat false claims made by some who would discredit the theory...

...Here is a short list of transitional fossils documented by Prothero and that add to the mountain of evidence for Charles Darwin's theory. A lot of us relate most to fossils of life closely related to humans, so the list focuses on mammals and other vertebrates, including dinosaurs.

Mammals, including us

It is now clear that the evolutionary tree for early and modern humans looks more like a bush than the line represented in cartoons. All the hominid fossils found to date form a complex nexus of specimens, Prothero says, but Sahelanthropus tchadensis, found in 2001 and 2002, threw everyone for a loop because it walked upright 7 million years ago on two feet but is quite chimp-like in its skull size, teeth, brow ridges and face. It could be a common ancestor of humans and chimpanzees, but many paleoanthropologists will remain unsure until more fossils are found. Previously, the earliest ancestor of our Homo genus found in the fossil record dated back 6 million years.
-Most fossil giraffes have short necks and today's have long necks, but anatomist Nikos Solounias of the New York Institute of Technology's New York College of Osteopathic Medicine is preparing a description of a giraffe fossil, Bohlinia, with a neck that is intermediate in length.
Manatees, also called sea cows, are marine mammals that have flippers and a down-turned snout for grazing in warm shallow waters. In 2001, scientists discovered the fossil of a "walking manatee," Pezosiren portelli, which had feet rather than flippers and walked on land during the Eocene epoch (54.8 million years ago to 33.7 million years ago) in what is now Jamaica. Along with skull features like manatees (such as horizontal tooth replacement, like a conveyor belt), it also had heavy ribs for ballast, showing that it also had an aquatic lifestyle, like hippos.
Scientists know that mastodons, mammoths and elephants all share a common ancestor, but it gets hard to tell apart some of the earliest members of this group, called proboscideans, going back to fossils from the Oligocene epoch (33.7 million years ago to 23.8 million years ago). The primitive members of this group can be traced back to what Prothero calls "the ultimate transitional fossil," Moeritherium, from the late Eocene of Egypt. It looked more like a small hippo than an elephant and probably lacked a long trunk, but it had short upper and lower tusks, the teeth of a primitive mastodon and ear features found only in other proboscideans.
The Dimetrodon was a big predatory reptile with a tail and a large sail or fin-back. It is often mistaken for a dinosaur, but it's actually part of our mammalian lineage and more closely related to mammals than reptiles, which is seen in its specialized teeth for stabbing meat and skull features that only mammals and their ancestors had. It probably moved around like a lizard and had a jawbone made of multiple bones, like a reptile.

Dinosaurs and birds

The classic fossil of Archaeopteryx, sometimes called the first bird, has a wishbone (fully fused clavicle) which is only found in modern birds and some dinosaurs. But it also shows impressions from feathers on its body, as seen on many of the theropod dinosaurs from which it evolved. Its body, capable of flight or gliding, also had many of dinosaur features - teeth (no birds alive today have teeth), a long bony tail (tails on modern birds are entirely feathers, not bony), long hind legs and toes, and a specialized hand with long bony fingers (unlike modern bird wings in which the fingers are fused into a single element), Prothero said.
Sinornis was a bird that also has long bony fingers and teeth, like those seen in dinosaurs and not seen in modern birds.
Yinlong is a small bipedal dinosaur which shares features with two groups of dinosaurs known to many kids - ceratopsians, the beaked dinosaurs like Triceratops, and pachycephalosaurs, known for having a thick dome of bone in their skulls protecting their brains. Yinlong has the thick rostral bone that is otherwise unique to ceratopsians dinosaurs, and the thick skull roof found in the pachycephalosaurs.
Anchisaurus is a primitive sauropod dinosaur that has a lot of lizard-like features. It was only 8 feet long (the classic sauropods later on could be more than 100-feet long), had a short neck (sauropods are known for their long necks, while lizards are not), and delicate limbs and feet, unlike dinosaurs. Its spine was like that of a sauropod. The early sauropods were bipedal, while the latter were stood on all fours. Anchisaurus was probably capable of both stances, Prothero wrote.

Fish, frogs, turtles

Tiktaalik, aka the fishibian or the fishapod, is a large scaled fish that shows a perfect transition between fins and feet, aquatic and land animals. It had fish-like scales, as well as fish-like fin rays and jaw and mouth elements, but it had a shortened skull roof and mobile neck to catch prey, an ear that could hear in both land and water, and a wrist joint that is like those seen in land animals.
Last year, scientists announced the discovery of Gerobatrachus hottorni, aka the frogamander. Technically, it's a toothed amphibian, but it shows the common origins of frogs and salamanders, scientists say, with a wide skull and large ear drum (like frogs) and two fused ankle bones as seen in salamanders.
A creature on the way to becoming a turtle, Odontochelys semistestacea, swam around in China's coastal waters 200 million years ago. It had a belly shell but its back was basically bare of armor. Odontochelys had an elongated, pointed snout. Most modern turtles have short snouts. In addition, the roof of its mouth, along with the upper and lower jaws, was equipped with teeth, which the researchers said is a primitive feature for turtles whose mugs are now tipped with beaks but contain no teeth.

Indigåtor
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Speaking of fossils, we haven't yet seen findings of any human-like fossils with an incredible stature or height. According to Muslim hadiths, Adam was 30 cubits (apr. 50 feet) tall, after which mankind had been decreasing in stature. If the prophetic time line - Adam to Muhammad - is correct then Adam was created some 4 or 5 thousand years ago, whereas the earliest and most human like fossil discovered is dated to be about 160,000 years old.

Zafran
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
salaam

what prophetic timeline???
There is no timeline that i was aware of?

peace.

Indigåtor
02-22-2009, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

what prophetic timeline???
There is no timeline that i was aware of?

peace.
Peace Zafran,

Is there not a timeline of prophets in Islam? The genealogy and ancestry of prophets must surely be recognized in the religion; Ibn Kathir's Stories of the Prophets acknowledges the Biblical prophets from the era of Adam up to the coming of Christ.

جوري
02-26-2009, 01:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indigåtor
Speaking of fossils, we haven't yet seen findings of any human-like fossils with an incredible stature or height. According to Muslim hadiths, Adam was 30 cubits (apr. 50 feet) tall, after which mankind had been decreasing in stature. If the prophetic time line - Adam to Muhammad - is correct then Adam was created some 4 or 5 thousand years ago, whereas the earliest and most human like fossil discovered is dated to be about 160,000 years old.
Greetings.

We don't know how far back Adam was created, furthermore, do you reckon that everything that is buried is fossilized?

جوري
02-26-2009, 02:35 AM
Just an interesting piece on transitional fossils.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...kw.TXsyrMDW7oF
Dear Gator, you keep quoting scientific articles, I sometimes wonder if you bother read them at all, given your former posts.

What is the bottom line of what you have just posted?
There are such sciences as physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology especially.
Until you can demonstrate what you quote by the same scientific means you enforce it will remain what it is, names to species gone extinct, You can't establish the manner of their transition by the proposed methods of science.
It isn't difficult for God to 'transition' a specie into another as evidenced in the Quran

عَلَى أَن نُّبَدِّلَ أَمْثَالَكُمْ وَنُنشِئَكُمْ فِي مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ {61}
[Pickthal 56:61] That We may transfigure you and make you what ye know not.

You see, the problem is never really from a religious perspective, though I know the majority of atheists use 'evolution' as to contradict creation, and God somehow. My problem has always been substituting one belief system for another. I have no problems with evolution of proven not theorized, to me it is all the handiwork of God. But how do atheists account for everything in existence, whether or not evolution is the means to account for over a billion species and counting? And how does the time factor figure into all of this? From earth's 'being' until now, we should be morphing at a rate of five per hour?
What is the end result of evolution? Why are we still dying?

cheers

Gator
02-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Here's something I found interesting...

Prints Are Evidence of Modern Foot in Prehumans

Published: February 26, 2009
Footprints uncovered in Kenya show that as early as 1.5 million years ago an ancestral species, almost certainly Homo erectus, had already evolved the feet and walking gait of modern humans.

An international team of scientists, in a report Friday in the journal Science, said the well-defined prints in an eroding bluff east of Lake Turkana “provided the oldest evidence of an essentially modern humanlike foot anatomy” and added to the picture of Homo erectus as the prehumans who took long evolutionary strides — figuratively and, now it seems, also literally.

Linkity link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/27/sc...27foot.html?hp

Thanks.

Indigåtor
02-27-2009, 06:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argon Gossamer
Greetings.

We don't know how far back Adam was created, furthermore, do you reckon that everything that is buried is fossilized?
Account disabling still not working? :p

What I reckon is that among the thousands of fossils, not one, not a single chunk, was shown super sized. Did you deduce that all remnants dating back thousands, hundreds of thousands and millions of years are all irrelevant because the true and gigantic human fossils are supernaturally hidden from biologists?

Adam, if he existed, is more likely to have been created not too long ago if many of the early commentaries on prophets are taken into account. If a Muslim can believe that Adam was 100 feet tall notwithstanding the lack of evidence, he can equally believe that humans emerged a few thousand years in the past, because I simply see no difference between the two absurdities.

Hamayun
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
because I simply see no difference between the two absurdities.
Nice... :rolleyes:

I can see you are gonna make loads of friends here...

Ali_Cena
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Gator, this thread is about discussing things not "copy, paste" websites that say "why evolution is correct", if you want i could start uploading why creation is right websites like harun yahya, or what ever, and not discuss anything, thats what you are doing, if you come here bring up some points and we start discussing like Abdul Fattah said.:coolious::coolalien:zip:

جوري
02-27-2009, 07:29 PM

What I reckon is that among the thousands of fossils, not one, not a single chunk, was shown super sized. Did you deduce that all remnants dating back thousands, hundreds of thousands and millions of years are all irrelevant because the true and gigantic human fossils are supernaturally hidden from biologists?

Adam, if he existed, is more likely to have been created not too long ago if many of the early commentaries on prophets are taken into account. If a Muslim can believe that Adam was 100 feet tall notwithstanding the lack of evidence, he can equally believe that humans emerged a few thousand years in the past, because I simply see no difference between the two absurdities.
I can do without your comedic style writing.. perhaps it makes you popular with the ladies, but I doubt it will get you far on this forum. as well your exponential numbers which seem to double with every post!

my reply to you is on the other thread. I so hate to repeat myself!

cheers

Gator
02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Gator, this thread is about discussing things...
Hey Ali, I like to think of this thread as not just addressing evolution in its entirety, but also, the interesting bits of evidence put forward by scientists to get an islamic response or from anyone interested in evolution (pro or con). I've been posting and there hasn't been much in the way of responses, so therefore the lack of discussion.

I'd be happy to politely discuss with you or almost anyone. Abdul was a good guy to discuss things with and so was MustafaMc.

Anyway, just wanted to see the Islamic perspective.

Thanks.

Hamayun
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Are Gator and Indigator related?

Retards
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Evolution is true, any other theory is false. Because science proved it.

doorster
03-02-2009, 07:41 PM

I do not think that these owners/bosses are interested in that as long as you keep the site alive you can have 10 accounts and post all manner of rubbish, just remember not to annoy anyone of them in private or there will be hell to pay

now, carry on as you were

lomah
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Hello....

In the Bible the Old and New Testiment there are Geneological records that show the ansestors form Adam to King David and in the New Testiment from Adam to Jesus. It is the very first Chapter of Mathew. I seems that this would make for a pretty acurate time line.

I am humbly stating this just for information.

I personal as a Christian don't think any of the Bible to be Myth except for the Parables that Jesus use to help explain things to his followers. I believe the Bible to be the Words from God. I believe that Muslims feel the same way about the Qu'an.

There is proof of adaptation but, I don't feel adaptation it proof for Evolution.

Lomah

^o)

Ali_Cena
03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Retards
Proved it how?

Ali_Cena
03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Retards
By the way, what other theory?

czgibson
03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Greeting Ali_Cena,

I'm not sure it's worthwhile taking "Retards" seriously. He / she is clearly not interested in having a genuine discussion.

Peace

lomah
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey, must people be provoct to spark conversation here?:thankyou?

جوري
03-06-2009, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lomah
Hey, must people be provoct to spark conversation here?:thankyou?
What would you like? genealogical accuracy according to the bible? It really wouldn't fit on this thread as so it reads on the title Biological Evolution – An Islamic Perspective

all the best

lomah
03-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Even if you looked at the Bible as a source of History It shows a good time line when Adam and Eve first came on the seen. I do not have an Islamic persective yet. I am still looking for some one humble enough that would talk to a Fundimental Christian.

May Allah bless you....

جوري
03-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Even if you looked at the Bible as a source of History It shows a good time line when Adam and Eve first came on the seen. I do not have an Islamic persective yet. I am still looking for some one humble enough that would talk to a Fundimental Christian.

May Allah bless you....
If you'll browse the very first page of this very thread you'll have received the Islamic perspective, there is no time line for when Adam & Eve descended to earth. I don't view the bible as an accurate source of history, considering all the internal contradictions and I am pretty sure you'd rather be spared a rather large cut and paste. The bibles don't agree with one another let alone in concert with science and nature or the nature of the divine. It is actually for those very reasons separation of church and state eventually took the west out of its dark ages. I really don't know how many would like to re-visit them..

If you cause enough ruckus I am sure you'll catch the attention of someone humble as well knowledgeable :thankyou:

all the best

lomah
03-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Gossamer skye,

Hello again, I just had a quick question. Does the Qu'an teach that you should be at all times ready to lead people who are not muslim to you your Faith?

I am merly a christian man seeking to find out the truth about Islam. I have read a lot on the site and I am begining to enjoy the wisdom in you faith.

I feel even as a christian that I could be close to believing the Allah is the one true God and that the story of Muhammad and his actions are truly of a prophet.

I think it would be more benificial to the cause of your faith if you could be more diplomatic. You critise a book that I hold deer to my heart also and I have been through it several times.

I am man that prays that all of Islam and the people of your nation get to Paradise. These aren't just words I am telling you. God knows I have done this.

I am here seeking after eternal matters not to partake in a good debate. I guess I stubled into the wrong area.

May all the peace and blessing of heaven be given unto you....

Lomah

جوري
03-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Gossamer skye,

Hello again, I just had a quick question. Does the Qu'an teach that you should be at all times ready to lead people who are not muslim to you your Faith?
The Quran teaches many things, but compulsion in religion isn't one of them No!

I am merly a christian man seeking to find out the truth about Islam. I have read a lot on the site and I am begining to enjoy the wisdom in you faith.
Ok

I feel even as a christian that I could be close to believing the Allah is the one true God and that the story of Muhammad and his actions are truly of a prophet.
Ok

I think it would be more benificial to the cause of your faith if you could be more diplomatic. You critise a book that I hold deer to my heart also and I have been through it several times.
Diplomacy doesn't denote that I should be a hypocrite simply to spare your feelings.
1- Believe me when I tell you, I don't care to convert anyone, I'd rather we have better Muslims than more Muslims.
2- The cause of my religion isn't to malinger and ambush.. the journey to God is a solo one.
I am man that prays that all of Islam and the people of your nation get to Paradise. These aren't just words I am telling you. God knows I have done this.
That is nice indeed

I am here seeking after eternal matters not to partake in a good debate. I guess I stubled into the wrong area.
It does seem odd that you wish to get into a religious debate on a thread about biological evolution yes..

May all the peace and blessing of heaven be given unto you....

Lomah
and to you

Peace

lomah
03-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I like the way you explain yourselve in this forum. You are very clear.

What does the Qu'an say about the will of Allah as far as bringing people to the faith of Islam.

I don't understand what good is it to be a "Great Muslim" if you can't bring un-believers to Allah?

Lomah

جوري
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
There are levels of religiosity.
Islam, Iman, ikhlas, i7san..
our main purpose is to worship Allah swt. A few people offer 'da3wa' but a da3wa is only good is the other party has a sincere will to learn.. chapter II of the Quran does tell you, that there is no compulsion in religion.

I as a person haven't chosen to give da3wa (invitation to Islam) to others.. other Muslims might want to, again your worth as a person in the eyes of God isn't by the number of converts.. as each soul is held responsible for his/her own deeds, that isn't to say that there isn't a great reward if in fact you should invite someone to Islam and they with an open heart accept it...

all the best

lomah
03-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Well,
You have help along my way to understanig this a little better. I am going to look all these words up and go from there.

Thank you for all you help!

doorster
03-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Well,
You have help along my way to understanig this a little better. I am going to look all these words up and go from there.

Islam: submission
Iman: faith
ikhlas: Fidelity; sincerity, faithfulness to one's duties; accuracy, or exact correspondence to some given quality or fact; loyalty
ihsan: perfection, excellence, goodness

جوري
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Well,

follow this link:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ml#post1108527

P.S Br. Doorster.. thank you

Converse02
03-20-2009, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
You see, the problem is never really from a religious perspective, though I know the majority of atheists use 'evolution' as to contradict creation, and God somehow. My problem has always been substituting one belief system for another. I have no problems with evolution of proven not theorized, to me it is all the handiwork of God. But how do atheists account for everything in existence, whether or not evolution is the means to account for over a billion species and counting? And how does the time factor figure into all of this? From earth's 'being' until now, we should be morphing at a rate of five per hour?
What is the end result of evolution? Why are we still dying?

cheers
I had the same questions as you did until I read Dawkins. That is one of the many reasons why he is popular along atheists.

Evolution is a fact. It is proven. Evolution has been accepted in the halls of science for a long time now, and every shred of evidence produced (birds to dinosaurs, hominid fossils, Tiktaalik, chromosome 2, etc) so far has further confirmed the fact of evolution. Not one shred of evidence has been discovered that refutes it. Every major science university on Earth accepts evolution. Where you have scientists, you have evolutionists. Going to a science department and saying you don't accept evolution is like denying global warming or saying that the Earth is round. It's is rejecting empirical evidence. It's rejecting science. The theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, atomic theory, and germ theory are all theories, but evolution, gravity, atoms, and germs are all facts.

Evolution cannot "disprove" God, Zeus, Feng Shui, etc. You can't really disproven a being that is said to have infinite magical powers and is determined to hide itself. However, if God showed himself, the argument for his existance would strongly tilt in his favor.

What evolution does is that it explodes the argument of design. It makes God unneccessary to explain how all the species arose, as non-random natural selection could have done it. Adding God becomes extra and unnecessary. Evolution is a "crane" explanation, meaning evolution is supported and builds on other scientific disciplines, like geology and paleontology. Saying "God did it," that he magically poofed everything in existance is a "skyhook" explanation. It doesn't build on anything, but simply inserted as an answer (or non-answer, depending how you look at it). This is why all modern atheists accept evolution. It has raised our consciousness to the power of science.

The universe exists, it's here. We don't know how it got here, and science is revealing that mystery each day. But to say "God did it" is really the God of the Gaps argument.

The end result of evolution is that life will continue to evolve and adapt to the changing conditions of it's surroundings until it cannot and becomes extinct, which happen to all non-avian dinosaurs. Life forms will have children that vary slightly from the parents, and they will select their mates. The "goal" of evolution is not some perfect immortal species, but merely beings good enough to be able to survive and pass on their genes, whether they be humans or insects.

Charzhino
03-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't think God should be used to explain science which is not yet understood such as the big bang. A divine creator should rather be used for the answer ,''why'' instead of ''how''. Even if all the facts where found of how we got here, people will still wonder why.

Ali_Cena
03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Converse02
I had the same questions as you did until I read Dawkins. That is one of the many reasons why he is popular along atheists.

Evolution is a fact. It is proven. Evolution has been accepted in the halls of science for a long time now, and every shred of evidence produced (birds to dinosaurs, hominid fossils, Tiktaalik, chromosome 2, etc) so far has further confirmed the fact of evolution. Not one shred of evidence has been discovered that refutes it. Every major science university on Earth accepts evolution. Where you have scientists, you have evolutionists. Going to a science department and saying you don't accept evolution is like denying global warming or saying that the Earth is round. It's is rejecting empirical evidence. It's rejecting science. The theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, atomic theory, and germ theory are all theories, but evolution, gravity, atoms, and germs are all facts.

Evolution cannot "disprove" God, Zeus, Feng Shui, etc. You can't really disproven a being that is said to have infinite magical powers and is determined to hide itself. However, if God showed himself, the argument for his existance would strongly tilt in his favor.

What evolution does is that it explodes the argument of design. It makes God unneccessary to explain how all the species arose, as non-random natural selection could have done it. Adding God becomes extra and unnecessary. Evolution is a "crane" explanation, meaning evolution is supported and builds on other scientific disciplines, like geology and paleontology. Saying "God did it," that he magically poofed everything in existance is a "skyhook" explanation. It doesn't build on anything, but simply inserted as an answer (or non-answer, depending how you look at it). This is why all modern atheists accept evolution. It has raised our consciousness to the power of science.

The universe exists, it's here. We don't know how it got here, and science is revealing that mystery each day. But to say "God did it" is really the God of the Gaps argument.

The end result of evolution is that life will continue to evolve and adapt to the changing conditions of it's surroundings until it cannot and becomes extinct, which happen to all non-avian dinosaurs. Life forms will have children that vary slightly from the parents, and they will select their mates. The "goal" of evolution is not some perfect immortal species, but merely beings good enough to be able to survive and pass on their genes, whether they be humans or insects.
What was the purpose of your post?

Converse02
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Even if all the facts where found of how we got here, people will still wonder why.
Science answers the how. But a divine creator doesn't answer the why any better than science.

What was the purpose of your post?
To explain why evolution is not a belief system like a religion, but one based on empirical evidence and science. Why evolution can function on its own, without God. To explain why understanding evolution is an important step toward non-theism.

Hamayun
03-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Living things evolve... so? Thats fine.

Islam does not deny evolution. We did not evolve from Monkeys.

Converse02
03-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Living things evolve... so? Thats fine.
Islam does not deny evolution. We did not evolve from Monkeys.
I agree, but some Muslims would disagree. Some Muslims say Islam denies evolution because it is said God created Adam and Eve, but evolution says we evolved from a group of hominids. The whole harun yahya thing. But I guess you can interpret it anyway you want and make "fit" evolution, if you like.

Yeah, we didn't evolve from monkeys, we just share a common ancestor. We evolved from hominids, who evolved from tetrapods, who evolved from amphibians, who evolve from fish, etc... Science and the fossil evidence is amazing, isn't it?

Hamayun
03-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Science and the fossil evidence is amazing, isn't it?
It is amazing indeed!

Thanks to that "evidence" I am glad I am not an ungrateful Atheist.

Peace.

Ali_Cena
03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Greetings.

Science answers the how. But a divine creator doesn't answer the why any better than science.
First I would like to say I don’t think, I know you haven’t read the whole of this thread, because you wouldn’t have posted what you did previously, as everything that you said has been covered; such as you comparing “The theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, atomic theory, and germ theory are all theories, but evolution, gravity, atoms, and germs are all facts.” This issue of “theory” and “fact” has been dealt with, and I don’t know why you had to mention these issues in your nonsensical post

Secondly one big topic that I would like to touch on and I think root has touched on is philosophy and science. As root clearly mentioned science can’t explain using empirical data questions such as why are we here. See this is philosophy’s job, and what you said “But a divine creator doesn't answer the why any better than science”, that is not true, as science doesn’t say anything. NOTHING, why? You ask because it can’t. Whereas philosophy; God can.

“Science answers the how” fine I agree with that, but it doesn’t answer why. Just like root said abiogenisis; how life came from non-life, cannot be answer using science.

To explain why evolution is not a belief system like a religion, but one based on empirical evidence and science. Why evolution can function on its own, without God. To explain why understanding evolution is an important step toward non-theism.
Well let’s put it this way I understand evolution, Abdul Fattah, and Gossamer Skye we are nowhere near non-theism. Why would you say that evolution leads to atheism? I mean so what? It is not enough to make someone non-theist. I would say understanding evolution leads to the opposite: theism. I mean look at Anthony Flew, former atheist having studied evolution, then realising that it was his understanding of evolution that brought him to find truth in ID; an example of how understanding of evolution leads to theism ( and whatever you say about flew “how he is deist of whatever” it goes under the categories of theism(believe in God).
Here is an extract taken from: http://seemyparadigm.webs.com/evolution.htm on how evolution doesn’t really affect theist (well Muslims) at all.

“Let us say for the sake of argument that as an extreme example tomorrow every single little thing that falls under biological evolution turns out to be true! How would that influence the theist his paradigm? Well it wouldn't change a lot. Even in the worst case scenario that all turns out to be true, intelligent design (ID) still 'rescues' religion. Our current scientific knowledge on causality still leaves more than enough room for divine powers to be at the source of it. So from that viewpoint of science, a God that creates species in a metaphysical is just as miraculous as a God creating them trough his habitual enforcement of physical law. So this means nothing really changes, at least not for Muslims. So the reason that I reject some parts of evolution is not because of my religion, because I started to doubt some of those parts even before I became Muslim. I simply question some parts because they don't seem to be making any sense. Christians on the other hand would have some problems, since their scripture includes specific details that would be rendered false if every last part of evolution turns out to be true. However the late Catholic pope John Paul did publish an open letter stating that these specific details from the book of genesis were added by the Catholic Church when the Bible was being compiled, for the purpose of answering questions that weren't answerable at that time. The letter was being published at the time that Christians in the US were lobbying to introduce the theory of creation in science classes. To that subject I would like to state that although I myself am a creationist, I recognize that this theory has no place in science class. However at the same time as a scientist I must add that some parts of biological evolution don't belong in science class either!”

Peace, looking forward to your reply. Sorry if it was too long to read.

Ali_Cena
03-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Greetings.

Yeah, we didn't evolve from monkeys, we just share a common ancestor. We evolved from hominids, who evolved from tetrapods, who evolved from amphibians, who evolve from fish, etc... Science and the fossil evidence is amazing, isn't it?
I think you have touched on Common Descent, and you should read this: taken from:http://seemyparadigm.webs.com/evolution.htm

Also, you might think I am just copy/pasting from websites, but as Gatoralways does(give links) I feel I should be atleast allowed to aswell.

"Evolution of mankind is a very specific and dominant part of common descent. Although several proposed links by the three of common descent can provide interesting debates, I feel that this one is most appropriate for two reasons. The firs reason is that it is most relevant in this context of religion. The second reason being that it is the alleged link in the chain that is most studied and documented out of all the links in common descent. Thus it provides for a much more in depth analysis. Some people are under the impression that this part of common descent is as good as proven, but that is far from true. I'll attempt to discuss some of the commonly used, flawed arguments.
Argument from comparison:

This is perhaps the most dominant argument. But it is a slippery slope. The argument holds that things who look alike, must undeniably have evolved from one another. That is off course uncertain. Similarity could just as well mean that they were created by the same creator rather then evolved out of the same specie. The similarity does not prove one viewpoint to be more likely than the other. So since multiple explanations are plausible for explaining these similarities, they cannot be used as evidence. It is often suggested, that although there are indeed several plausible explanations, that common descent is much more plausible due to Ockhams razor. I've already replied to that in my introduction page, where I discussed the weakness of Ockhams razor by example of the anthropic principle.

Also note that the comparisons are usually made in the wrong way. For example, many of the alleged intermediate species between ape and human, are argued to be human afterall. Here are some proposed missing links:

1. Genus Australopithecus
1. Australopithecus Anamensis (4.2 to 3.9 million years ago)
2. Australopithecus Afarensis (4 to 2.7 million years ago)
3. Australopithecus Africanus (3 to 2 million years ago)
4. Australopithecus Robustus (2.2 to 1.6 million years ago)
2. Genus Homo
1. Homo Habilis (2.2 to 1.6 million years ago)
2. Homo Rudolfenis (1.9 to 1.6. million years ago)
3. Homo Erectus (2 to 0.4 million years ago)
4. Homo Sapiens Archaic (400 to 200 thousand years ago)
5. Homo Sapiens neanderthalis (200 to 30 thousand years ago)

I. The Australopithecus
The false claims from Richard Leakey and Donald C Johanson that the Australopithecus walked erected has been refuted and it seems the Australopithecus is more closely related with orangutans which according to evolutionists is from a different branch then the one mankind originated from. So the entire Australopithecus genus can be refuted as intermediate link.

II. The Home Genus.
II.i. Homo Habilis 2.2 to 1.6 million years ago (proposed in the 60's as first humanoid that walked erect and used tools). New discoveries in 80's showed a different picture and Bernard Wood and C. Loring Brace said that this was in fact nothing more then An Australopithecus Habilis. So it's just another extinct African ape.

II.ii. Homo Rudolfensis 1.9 to 1.6 million years ago. It refers to a single fragmented skull found in Kenya. However most scientists have accepted it again as nothing more then Australopithecus Habilis.

II.iii. Homo Erectus 2 to 0.4 million years ago. Although this skeleton is exactly the same as some humans have, evolutionists have classified it as a transcending specie, based on the small skull contents (900-1100 cc) and because of the big eyebrows (of the skull). However, there are humans alive today with that skull contents (i.e. Pygmees), and that have such eyebrows (i.e. Australian aboriginals)! So there is no reason to assume these skeletons are a missing link, they are just humans. In fact the New Scientists of 1998 14 march even wrote an excellent article of how Homo Erectus had the technology to build and use transport ships.

II.iv. Homo Sapiens archaic 400 to 200 thousand years ago. Again there's no reason to assume they weren't human, in fact many researchers have even concluded that they are exactly the same as Australian aboriginals. They even found skeletons of them showing that this race lived up to fairly recent times in villages in Italy and Hungary. The dramatic pictures of hairy human-like apes you found in school handbooks are just indulgence of imagination, remember we've only found skeletons.

II.v Homo Sapiens Neandertalensis 200 to 30 thousand years ago. Erik Trinkus, paleontologist of university of Mexico writes: detailed study of the skeleton of the remains of the Neandertalensis with modern man show that nothing in the anatomy of the Neaderthalensis such as movement, manipulation, intellect and linguistic capabilities are inferior to that of modern man.
So as you can see, with two Genus failing as intermediate, since each consists of many links not holding up to scrutiny, we have quite a big gap in our line of descent. Now I'm not going to claim there's some sort of crazy conspiracy going on here, and that evolutionists purposely create false intermediate species. But perhaps people are just looking so hard for these missing links that they start to see things that aren't there. Also, we need to remember species have both a genotype and a phenotype. The genotype refers to the genes a specie carries, both the dormant as well as the active. The phenotype refers to the physicals characteristics a specie has. To give an example, a person can have the genotype for both blue as for brown eyes, in other words he has both the genes that causes eyes to be blue, as the gene that causes eyes to be brown. However he will only have one phenotype, he will have brown eyes since the gene for brown eyes is dominant over the gene for blue eyes. The reason I bring this up, since evolution takes place on a genetic level, it seems crucial that we'd compare genes, rather then say comparing skulls. I have already illustrated how easy a bias can influence a researcher in comparing morphology of skulls.

The stereotype reply you get to this is: well chimps do have 99% of there DNA in common with mankind right? Isn't that comparing genotype rather then phenotype? My answer is; "No, that is false information!". There is not a 99% similarity between human and Chimp DNA! In fact you will find that even two brothers will have less then 99% similarity except for of course identical twins. The 99% similarity is not with DNA, but with karyotypes! So what's the difference? DNA are long strings of Nucleic acids. However these strings are not stored in the nucleus like spaghetti's in a casserole. Instead the strings are wound up and held into position by histones to form Chromosomes. When you align all chromosomes of a specie straightened out in a row, you have what we call a karyotype. So when you compare karyotypes; what we are comparing is not really DNA. What you are comparing is the method in how DNA is packed. If chimps have similar karyotypes, that means they use histones in a similar method as we do, that does not mean we have similar DNA. In fact you could say that this comparison is just a comparison of phenotypes since the formation of histones is genetically decided. So comparing formations of histones makes just as much sense as comparing skulls rather then comparing genotypes.

In this image you see just how many steps it takes for histones to fold DNA (left) into Chromosomes (right). This should give a fair idea of how unrepresentative this comparison of karyotypes is. The end result is almost completely relying on the histones instead of the DNA.

Argument from ERV's:

ERV stands for Endogenous Retro Virus. This is a virus that has embedded itself into DNA and gets passed on generation after generation. We share some alleged ERV's with chimps. It is thus suggested as proof for our common descent, since it implies that we both must have originated from a same ancestor that was infected by that virus.

The first problem with this argument is that it's hard to tell what an ERV is when you meet one. It doesn't come with a tag attached saying: "This is an ERV". It could be that some genes which we expect to be ERV's aren't ERV's at all but something completely different. It could even be junk genes, byproduct. Or it could be something we don't yet understand the purpose off. The difficulty in recognizing an ERV, is that it's usually deformed from it's origenal virus form. That is because if a virus is embedded in it's complete form, its almost impossible to pass it down to further generations. To explain this, let my use a simplified example. Imagine a man who has a virus. This virus will not infect every last cell of his body, and even if it would, he would most likely die and that would be the end of the story. Now for this man to pass this embedded ERV down to a child, the virus needs to be embedded in a spermcell. Only then will the ERV be present in every cell of the childs DNA. Since all cells have their DNA copied from there on. If however the virus isn't deformed, the child would have a flu in every single cell of his body. His cells would constantly reproduce this virus, and spread it throughout it's body. You can imagine this fetus doesn't have a fighting chance from the start on. No, for an ERV to be passed down trough generations, it has to be rendered harmless first. So how do you recognize it as a virus after this rendition to harmless junk then?

A second problem of the argument, is the slippery slope fallacy again. What if both chimps and humans were infected by the virus, and both got ERV's in a similar fashion? After all, given their similar physiology, that seems reasonable enough right? Well the reply from evolutionists is, that the ERV is specific in a certain locus (place on the genes) and it is improbable for both chimps and humans to create an ERV at the exact same spot. However, I disagree. There is a recent discovery at the university of Pennsylvania US that shows a human DNA-associated protein that would dictate where on the DNA that AIDS is to be inserted. The protein called LEDGF would travel along with the retrovirus in it's mantel and then modulate where in the human genome the virus is inserted. So if retroviruses can be locus specific, then loci-specific ERV's is no longer a problem for this counterargument. It is then a matter of simple causality; chimps and humans have ERV at similar loci due to similar proteins. In other words similar results by similar processes.

Argument from unintelligent design:

This isn't really scientific but rather philosophical. The argument goes like this: "Creation is flawed, in the sense that it's poorly designed. There are many shortcomings and imperfections. If we would have truly been created, we would have been perfect rather then imperfect." Now since the argument is philosophical rather then scientific, my reply will also be philosophical rather then scientific. Let this not reflect as a weakness of my counter though; there are tons of things wrong with the premise. First of all, we need to look at the term perfection. Does it refer to an Utopian perfection, or rather as-good-as-it-gets kind of perfection? For those referring to an Utopian perfection, I gladly present my counter-arguments against the flawed argument from the paradox of omnipotence. The argument I use there can be extrapolated here, since the same flaw exists in the argument here. For the other interpretation of imperfection, we have to note that judgment of perfection and imperfection is very subjective. For example, would perfection include immortality? what if it is our purpose to stay here only temporarily in the first place, wouldn't a mortal design then be more appropriate over an immortal one? Who's to say that we aren't perfect, in the sense that this is as good as it can be? The only way to make this argument work, is to hypothesize an alternative design, and then illustrate the advantage such an alternative design would have over the current design. A completely different design from scratch is of course way to hard for our limited minds, let alone that we could do a meaningful comparison of such a design and the current. Therefor most proponents of this argument have restricted themselves to slight variation on the current design.

An example I have encountered in the past, is regarding the position of the vas deferens. The vas deferens is the duct that carries sperm to the ejaculatory duct. The problem with it is that it lies all the way around the ureter, which makes surgery at the prostate challenging. This positing isn't random though, it's because during development, the testicles drop down, thus pulling the duct around the ureter. Now to this argument I reply, bringing an alternative design is not as simple as making a drawing of how it should end up. If any proponents of unintelligent design feel that this alternative design is possible they should do a better job at defending their viewpoint and prove us that this alternative is possible in the first place. In other words, show us how your design is workable, from genotype to phenotype, not only in phenotype. From early development trough puberty and adulthood. When this is done, and we have a full script, only then we can begin discussing which of the two designs is best and keep all circumstances under consideration. Now even if the alternative design turns out to be workable I suspect that the difficulties and complexity that it brings with them will outweigh the surgeon's convenience. Especially when you take in consideration the small percentage of people, from the dawn of mankind up until now, who ever have surgery done at the prostate.

A second example I have encountered in the past is the blind spot of the eye. Here even more then in the case of the vas deferens, I question the possibility of a design without it. The blind spot is very intrinsic to the mechanism of the eye, and is an effect created by a very vital part of the eye. Designing an eye without a blind spot is thus very challenging. Furthermore, the blind spot of each eye is compensated by the second eye. So the "flaw" in design isn't really problematic if you look at the totality: a set of eyes. To avoid confusion; also note that there is a difference between the optical blind spot -a gap in the vision of the eye created by a spot where there are no visual receptors due to the positioning of the nerves- and the blind spot of a vehicle -a space around the vehicle that is from the driver's position despite the use of mirrors- in case you were wondering.

Argument from useless design:

This is a bit similar to the argument of unintelligent design, but more simplistic. It argues that species have body parts that have no use, which is a waste. Vestigial organs they call them. Of course adding a useless part in a design isn't the same as dumb design, but it wouldn't be considered as smart either. However I argue that there are no useless body parts, and that every part of our body has a function. Several parts have been suggested by proponents. Although I grant that some of those suggested parts are not vital for survival, that doesn't mean they are completely useless. People can even live after limbs have been amputated, but that doesn't mean a limb is vestigial. So just because one can survive without the organ doesn't make it vestigial. The most common example is the coccyx (tail bone). The story goes this is a remnant of our tail-carrying brothers, which is now utterly useless. But that's far from the truth. No less than nine muscles are attached to that bone. Without the bone a lot of our current movements would no longer be possible. And we do use this bone on a regular basis. It is used for defecation and keeps organs in place"

Like he said at the end of that "As always, if you feel I missed anything important here, or you have an argument which you think cut's the mustard, feel free to bring it up at my forum"
His forum is here:http://seemyparadigm.webs.com/feedback.htm

Peace

جوري
03-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Every group has their God.. and yours is rather Inferior and insignificant on the meter.. you should read all he says for instance such statements as:

“Well, I’m convinced that future physicists will discover something at least as wonderful as any god you could ever imagine.” Why not call it God? “I don’t think it’s helpful to call it God.” OK, but what would “it” be like?
“I think it’ll be something wonderful and amazing and something difficult to understand.
Evolution is a fact. It is proven. Evolution has been accepted in the halls of science for a long time now, and every shred of evidence produced (birds to dinosaurs, hominid fossils, Tiktaalik, chromosome 2, etc) ---------------
it isn't a fact short of your assertion.
You mistake adaptation for speciation.. you should browse all the pages of this thread, so you are not rehashing the same argument over and over, it gets boring after a while!
15 years ago using a beta blocker for CHF was an absolute no no, theoretically we knew why, until we experimented and learned that is exactly what a heart in CHF needed and I am not going to get into the details of that as it doesn't serve the purpose of the topic, but does distill the principles of modern science and research.. science is ever changing and ever correcting, preaching me a sermon on what you assume science to be or the manifesto of your God Dawkin really does nothing to cement your point but does bore me and detract from time I could be spending doung far better things!

Evolution cannot "disprove" God, Zeus, Feng Shui, etc. You can't really disproven a being that is said to have infinite magical powers and is determined to hide itself. However, if God showed himself, the argument for his existance would strongly tilt in his favor. -------
I have no idea what the above gibberish means!
and honestly makes me so uninterested in reading the rest
I think my previous two statements cover everything that needs to be covered.

cheers

Charzhino
03-22-2009, 01:21 AM
it isn't a fact short of your assertion.
You mistake adaptation for speciation.. you should browse all the pages of this thread, so you are not rehashing the same argument over and over, it gets boring after a while!
Why do we not find modern day animals such as lions or poodles in the same layer of earth where we find now extinct and ancient animals such as sabertooth tigers or dinosaurs? This must mean that either
a) God suddenley decided to create modern day animals after millions of years of creating the ancient ones or
b) the modern day animals have evolved from the prehistoric ones.

Which sounds more reasonable given the evidence that's heavily in favour for the evolution and speciation fo animals?

جوري
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Charzhino
Why do we not find modern day animals such as lions or poodles in the same layer of earth where we find now extinct and ancient animals such as sabertooth tigers or dinosaurs? This must mean that either
a) God suddenley decided to create modern day animals after millions of years of creating the ancient ones or
b) the modern day animals have evolved from the prehistoric ones.

Which sounds more reasonable given the evidence that's heavily in favour for the evolution and speciation fo animals?
miniaturization not speciation occured, as such something like a 400 million year old coelacanth STILL remains and swims a fish today and not some land reptile or a human being as previousely thought--again if you'll browse through this forum you'll find sourced scientific articles to the process of adaptation which indeedis proven, the same way your LES adapts to constant stress by turning columnar from squamous. Either way I don't really see a problem, God can create anew or he can enable to evolve.. burnden of proof however is for staunch advocates of evolution to show us how the process occured and it is easy to do so using either liposomes or E.Coli vectors etc. and simiulate the environmental magic that has brought us such an amazing change, and whilst at it discuss the origin of life using science not sci. fiction so we are not collectively deputizing one allegedly erroneous belief for another equally erroneous belief on the account it removes God from the equation or as 'Dawkin' put it something even bigger than God. Until such a day makes history, I really don't care to read some random bloggers' opinion!

all the best

- Qatada -
03-22-2009, 06:53 PM
:salamext:

- There is no proof of the existence of a common ancestor.

- Fossil records do not necessarily prove that life evolved into other organisms, it only shows that certain animals were present within a certain part of the world during a certain time period. That's all. Creationists can just argue that God made these animals within a certain location during that time period.

- If there was so much animals which became extinct (and were the intermediaries between two species) - their fossils should have been in the thousands, remaining in the ground to prove their past existence. But these intermediary specie fossils are not always present underground [and due to this, some scientists even said that there probably wasn't intermediate species but massive jumps from one specie to another.]

So one has to question why so little fossils of such species are present if the process took thousands/millions of years [because surely there would be thousands of the extinct specie during that time period so thousands of these fossils should be found atleast to prove the case.] But this just doesn't happen.
more points can be found here;
My paradigm | Because everyone is entitled to have my opinion.

Charzhino
03-22-2009, 07:35 PM
There are plenty of transitional fossils available to study the evolution of a certian lineage of species or genus. Just google search transitional fossils and you'll find ample supply of them. It's a bit of a creationist myth that there is a lack of or no intermediate fossils present.
You also have to understand that fossizilation is not a easy and defenitive process, and not every animal which dies will get fossiziled perfectly to be dug up thousands of years later. All the evidence there is in favour of evolution, be it in genetics, fossils, embroyology, biochemistry, anatomy far outweighs the so called negative evidences. One can only assume when taking a unbiased impartial observation of these supporting evidences that evolution is probably correct.

Charzhino
03-22-2009, 07:40 PM
miniaturization not speciation occured, as such something like a 400 million year old coelacanth STILL remains and swims a fish today and not some land reptile or a human being as previousely thought--again if you'll browse through this forum you'll find sourced scientific articles to the process of adaptation which indeedis proven, the same way your LES adapts to constant stress by turning columnar from squamous. Either way I don't really see a problem, God can create anew or he can enable to evolve.. burnden of proof however is for staunch advocates of evolution to show us how the process occured and it is easy to do so using either liposomes or E.Coli vectors etc. and simiulate the environmental magic that has brought us such an amazing change, and whilst at it discuss the origin of life using science not sci. fiction so we are not collectively deputizing one allegedly erroneous belief for another equally erroneous belief on the account it removes God from the equation or as 'Dawkin' put it something even bigger than God. Until such a day makes history, I really don't care to read some random bloggers' opinion!

all the best
What is minirization supposed to be? Nowhere I have heard that term before in discussions of evolution. Your talking about a coelcanth which has survived till this day and has not evolved. Of course, species which are perfectly suited to their environment don't need to evolve do they? Look at the modern great white shark or crocodile. They have been in existence in more of less the same form for millions of years, because they are so well adapted to their natural surroundings and have been at the top of their respective food chains.
Other sea creatures such as whales have evolved. Whales have the genes for making legs because their ancestors where once land mammals. Do you think this is a coincedence? Same goes for genes for making fully functional tails in humans, and chickens making teeth.

جوري
03-22-2009, 08:04 PM
So we are not wasting each other's time you should google evolution and coelacanth, it will teach you that for a very long period of time that fish was thought to be our earliest ancestor because of its muscular fins, it was thought a transitional form into land creatures and later human beings...
Because this thread is 24 pages long and the topic of evolution discussed here ad nauseam and me being completely sure you'll have nothing to teach me, and my being in no mood for prolonged platitudes this will be my last post on this thread.

feel free to believe what you want to believe and have a nice day!

Azy
03-27-2009, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
- Fossil records do not necessarily prove that life evolved into other organisms, it only shows that certain animals were present within a certain part of the world during a certain time period. That's all. Creationists can just argue that God made these animals within a certain location during that time period.
Interesting. God created millions of animals and plants in the right sequence making it look like each evolved from a previously existing form, but they didn't, it was just a set up?

That would be great if there was any way you could show it was true.
- If there was so much animals which became extinct (and were the intermediaries between two species) - their fossils should have been in the thousands, remaining in the ground to prove their past existence. But these intermediary specie fossils are not always present underground [and due to this, some scientists even said that there probably wasn't intermediate species but massive jumps from one specie to another.]
You're confused. Practically every fossil ever found is an intermediate. If you choose an organism which develops from one form to another in many stages, which stages are the 'species' and which the 'intermediates'? It's just a matter of how you name things.
As for the 'jumps', what they basically mean is that due to different conditions or events, organisms evolved very quickly at some times in history and slowly at others.
more points can be found here;
My paradigm
Concerning the falsifiability of abiogenesis and common descent:
Presumably you think that another mechanism produced the outcome that scientists ascribe to these hypotheses. If you were to show that another mechanism was at work then they would have been shown to be false, therefore they are falsifiable.

Hamayun
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
Interesting. God created millions of animals and plants in the right sequence making it look like each evolved from a previously existing form, but they didn't, it was just a set up?
Oh God! You are back again! :(
Do you post just to wind people up or do you have anything useful to say?

Every post I read from you is just sarcastic and rude.

Charzhino
03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Well that's precisely what the fossil record shows along with genetic comparisons, embryological analysis, avitiams, etc. God did a very good job in making it ''look'' like species evolve.

Ali_Cena
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Greetings Azy,

First I would like to say if you read my post, and look at the website, you would have found that at the bottom, there is quoted “As always, if you feel I missed anything important here, or you have an argument which you think cut's the mustard, feel free to bring it up at my forum". So this should really be posted in this feedback section. Never mind, we could discuss this here.
You could say so, but you are assuming evolution is not present, and that everything is “created”, well no in Islam evolution is neither discarded nor promoted. So it would appear evolution has taken place, which in fact might have. But also to solve “missing links” you would say that creation was present at that point. Take for example the Cambrian explosion.
Another point is that, what you are saying is more of history and not really science, as that your opinion that “it looks like each evolved from a previously existing form”.
but they didn't, it was just a set up?
It isn’t a they, and only Allah SWT (God) knows.
That would be great if there was any way you could show it was true.
It would be, but I doubt it.
You're confused. Practically every fossil ever found is an intermediate. If you choose an organism which develops from one form to another in many stages, which stages are the 'species' and which the 'intermediates'? It's just a matter of how you name things.
Firstly it isn’t Qatada that is confused, you should direct that to supposedly Abdul Fattah, but I don’t think you would dare... Secondly I am not quite sure if you know what you are talking about, I think you are confused, could you reword your last part again, in a more understandable way; in a way that doesn’t confuse you and me.
As for the 'jumps', what they basically mean is that due to different conditions or events, organisms evolved very quickly at some times in history and slowly at others.
Proof for your hypothesis?
Concerning the falsifiability of abiogenesis and common descent:
Presumably you think that another mechanism produced the outcome that scientists ascribe to these hypotheses. If you were to show that another mechanism was at work then they would have been shown to be false, therefore they are falsifiable.
You know what I didn’t understand what you said at all man, not being rude but fix up your wordings please.
Peace, sorry if I sounded rude or something, but don’t take it the wrong way

Azy
03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
So this should really be posted in this feedback section. Never mind, we could discuss this here.
If it's all the same to you I'd rather not submit my personal details to your private forum when there's a perfectly usable one here.
You could say so, but you are assuming evolution is not present, and that everything is “created”
I'm not assuming anything, it was a question.
It isn’t a they, and only Allah SWT (God) knows.
'They' referred to the animals and plants.
Firstly it isn’t Qatada that is confused, you should direct that to supposedly Abdul Fattah, but I don’t think you would dare...
Steve and I have had a few lengthy discussions and I would welcome him back to this one. If those were not Qatada's words I'm sorry, but it was not made clear that he was quoting.
Secondly I am not quite sure if you know what you are talking about, I think you are confused, could you reword your last part again, in a more understandable way; in a way that doesn’t confuse you and me.
What I mean is :- when you have a long period of time where an organism is changing gradually, how do you decide which are separate species and which are intermediates.
To put it another way, when you look at a rainbow, where does red end and orange begin?
Proof for your hypothesis?
Not my hypothesis. I was simply pointing out that when people speak of 'evolutionary jumps', they are generally not speaking about a leap from one distinct species to another without intermediates, but changes which happen very quickly on an evolutionary timescale.
You know what I didn’t understand what you said at all man
Well man, from seemyparadigm, just above where you cut and pasted your other post:-

Abiogenesis Hypothesis which is incomplete, not testable, not falsifiable and not provable.
Micro evolution Theory; well established, testable, falsifiable and provable.
Macro evolution Theory; still some lose ends but testable, falsifiable and provable.
Common descent Speculation; completely half baked, not testable, not falsifiable and not provable.

Abiogenesis and common descent are falsifiable, trivially so. If you showed that there was another reason life came to be, abiogenesis would be proved false. If you showed that an alternative to common descent was true, it would be proved false. Innit.

Chuck
03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Why you people go over same thing again and again?

جوري
03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Why you people go over something again and again?
It is a primitive defense mechanism left still with some.. which the wise and sentient evolution mishandled in its drive forth

all the best

Chuck
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I made a typo. Anyway, don't these people get tired by rehashing same arguments again and again. This all as been discussed in this thread earlier.

Chuck
03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
It is a primitive defense mechanism left still with some.. which the wise and sentient evolution mishandled in its drive forth

all the best

That pic is hilarious :bump1:

Woodrow
03-28-2009, 02:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
I made a typo. Anyway, don't these people get tired by rehashing same arguments again and again. This all as been discussed in this thread earlier.
I agree

There are more than a few evolution discussion threads. They all seem to evolve to the same point.
I guess this is an example of evolution and this is the point of reaching maximum thread evolution and the intolerant admin steps in and says:

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.