/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok for a muslim to smoke?

zaheer
10-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Assalamualaikum
what r ur views regarding smoking. is it Haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Shadow
10-25-2005, 04:00 AM
:sl:
yes alhamdulilah this question is an easy one
easy enough for an average joe like me to answer
the answer being
YES ITS HARAM
intoxicants are haram
and smoking is an intoxicant
bigtime intoxicant
therefore its haram
its written in the Quran
okay thts just a breif answer but non the less its still the right answer
im sure other members of the forum wud explain it in more detail but as for me im off to eat cookies and enjoy halal food
:shade:

Noor
10-25-2005, 04:09 AM

Question of Fatwa:
Dear Sheikh! Kindly inform me about the ruling of smoking according to Islam. Jazakum Allah Khairan

Content of Reply
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, first of all, we'd like to voice our appreciation for the great confidence you repose in us. Our utmost wish is to have our efforts come up to your expectation. May Allah help us all keep firm on the Straight Path, Amen!

As regards the question you posed, we would like to cite for you the fatwa issued by Mufti Ibrahim Desai, a prominent Muslim scholar, in this concern. It reads:

“It is a universally accepted that smoking has many serious health and life hazards amongst which is lung cancer. These hazards affect not only the smoker himself but those around him as well. Shari`ah has stressed the importance of being in good health to the extent that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) even advised Muslims in all ages to strike a balance in eating and drinking so as to evade any harmful effects on the health. He advised having dates, being hot in nature, with cucumber, as it (cucumber) has a cooling effect.

It is clear that cigarettes contain many harmful ingredients, for example, carbon monoxide, nicotine, tar and benzene vapor.

Therefore, smoking is harmful to the smoker as well as those around him. In his book, “Ninety Nine Harms of Smoking”, Muhammad Abdul Ghaffaar Al-Afghani stated that smoking results in many diseases which doctors have explained. These diseases number about ninety nine.

Doctor Salahuddeen Abdur-Rab An-Nabi, a neuro-surgeon in Cairo says: “When a person becomes enslaved to the habit of smoking, it affects his health badly to the extent that it has a direct effect on his heart. As a result his heart beat and blood circulation become unstable and he experiences drowsiness from time to time due to the shrinking of his brain arteries. Sometimes, specially at an old age, a smoker suffers from high blood pressure and angina. Similarly, his digestive and respiratory systems are harmed and he loses his appetite. He is also afflicted with a kind of cough known as the smoker's cough. When his nervous system is affected, the smoker feels a prickly sensation, a numbness in his limbs and also a pain in the nerves.'

In the annual conference of the American Doctors Council which took place in Chicago 1966, the main focus of the conference was the harms of smoking. Doctors, who were aware of the role of smoking in lung cancer, became alarmed when they heard that the least harm smoking causes is that it arouses anxiety. Doctor Edward Kweller Hammond, head of statistics in the Cancer Association of America said: “Verily, lung cancer which is caused by smoking cigarettes is not so serious in comparison to the injury caused by smoking with other bodily systems.” It is stated in the ninth edition of "World of Knowledge" magazine that the time has come wherein it has become necessary to expose all the harms of smoking. It should also be realized that these despicable substances even cause death.

It is also necessary to elucidate the harms of smoking in hope of saving many intelligent and educated youth, who will be astonished on how much has been written regarding this topic. In the above-mentioned magazine, we can read the following: "Cancer Caused by Smoking": This fatal illness is the culmination of many illnesses which are the result of thin blood and other sicknesses which are related to the blood vessels. All these are connected to this loathsome substances. However, lung cancer is the most likely outcome of smoking.

Lung cancer was a very rare disease but the end of this century witnessed a high rise in its occurrence, primarily in men and thereafter in women. In the beginning of the sixties, the death rate due to lung cancer increased compared to before. Smoking also yields other health hazards besides its general and specific economic harms.

Proof for the prohibition of smoking:

Smoking did not exist in the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) but our great religion of Islam has laid down general principles from which many laws are derived. From these principles, Muslim scholars have come to the conclusion that smoking is prohibited (Haram).

In the Qur’an, we read: “be not cast by your own hands to ruin; and do good. Lo! Allah loveth the beneficent.” (Al-Baqarah:195). Smoking causes fatal sicknesses, for example, lung cancer, tuberculosis, etc.

In another verse, Almighty Allah says: “And do not kill yourselves.” (An-Nisaa’: 29). The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said: “Whomsoever drinks poison, thereby killing himself, will sip this poison forever in the Hell-Fire.”

Cigarettes consist of many poisonous substances and furthermore, the smoker indulges in a slow suicidal act by smoking this poison.”

Almighty Allah knows best.

:w:

baby_muslimah15
10-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Yes smoking is Haraam, Becuz like Gandalf said its an intoxcant, and intoxcants are forbidden is Islam....Like it says in most Ayats(intoxcants, fornaction, suicide) So smoking is considered sucidial! And if you died from lung cancer because of it, you have committed suicide; which is a great Munkar(sin).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
10-25-2005, 06:15 AM
What about shisha (water pipe)? I've seen plenty of sheikhs puffin' on one o' those babies :p

Zuko
10-25-2005, 10:29 PM
My dad smokes more than 50 a day... He just doesn't want to stop... I tried telling him, but he says he'll try, but never really does...

eyes_of_mine
10-25-2005, 11:22 PM
I smoked for 15 years, I tryed EVERYTHING to stop, and I could not even stop for a day, patchs, gum , even If was ill and stopped smoking by accident as I felt to sick to smoke, as SOON as I felt better I smoked again.

It was horrible to be so weak and to be so controlled by a disgusting thing like a ciggerette, yet I could not stop and when I tryed I got so angry and agitated I hated the nasty person I became without a ciggerette so I smoked one to make me 'nice'.

Literally your a junkie , you need a ciggerette and ANY cigerette will do, if you got desperate enough you will search the ash tray for nub ends, yes it gets that bad.
Not to mention the amount of money you spend on the drug called tabacco its self.
Yet you allow yourself to spend this money NOT becuase stopping smoking feels like the worse choice and no matter how many times people tell you how all your ciggerette money could feed a small village it makes no difference, you may feel guilty but you feel you can't cope without a ciggerette.

I even read a book a famous book with a 99.9 % success rate for all that read it, Allen carrs easy way to stop smoking, and whilst the book was a GREAT help and made me understand my addiction, I still failed to stop smoking.

I was utterly miserable, I wanted to stop smoking so much ,but I failed everytime so weak I was.
about 8 months after I read the easy way to stop smoking book, I started to pray 5 times a day, and I still smoked.
But not long after I found myself in big financial difficultys and I my money was getting less and less by the day, and I was faced with buy ciggerettes or buy some food.
I brought ciggerettes.
Till I was faced with NO MONEY AT ALL, so I had my last pounds to last me 3 days and no hope to get any more money, so I brought food with it and knew I had no money for ciggerettes.

I had to go without ciggerttes for 3 whole days, and I knew it was a oppertunity sent to me by Allah, it would be VERY easy for me to buy ciggerettes after the 3rd day as I knew I would have the money to do so.

In the morning of the 4th day I had money and I made the choice NOT to smoke again since allah had given me the chance and strength to stop, If I smoked now I would be ungratefull.

that was apx 3 months ago, and NO ONE can believe I quit smoking, and I have NO intentions to smoke ever again and Im so gratefull to be free of that trap and disgusting habit.
And sometimes I feel like smoking still but I quickly overcome it because I know Allah helped me and I am FOREVER gratefull for his mercy on me in this, and so gratefull he helped me and never lost pateints with me in all these years .

The book helped me aswell coz I remembered all I read in it, but without the help of Allah I would never of given up ciggerettes and it goes to show you how powerfull and strong allah makes you when you give the salah everyday .

Saud
10-26-2005, 02:36 AM
I smoke marijuana for specefic purposes , it is not addicting at all

for Ramadan I decided to give it up for this mounth so that I may attain purity.

I did not have a problem in the least bit quitting maybe the tobbaco you smoke is addiccting but not marijuana/cannabis/hash/charas what ever you call it. But if you are stupid and use marijuana in a wrong way then I would have to say ... I wont say
ALLAH KNOWS BEST

Samee
10-26-2005, 03:09 AM

How simple is the answer to this question?

We see adverts 24/7 saying how stupid and dumb smoking is. If the Kuffar, the ones who engage in immoral and disgusting actions say that smoking is bad for you, then who are we, the clean ones to say it is good?

Smoking hurts you. Anything that hurts you is haraam.

Noor
10-26-2005, 03:18 AM

Is marijuana haram or halal in Islam?

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Every intoxicant and every thing that could make a person weak is prohibited.' (Mishkaat vol.2)

Marijuana is an addictive and initially weakens an addict's senses. Therefore, it is prohibited.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.