/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Equations...grrr

Ameeratul Layl
11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
:sl: brothers and sisters,

I hope ramadhaan is going well for you all. Me? Im starving!!
:giggling:

The thing is...Ive been having balanced equation problems in Chemistry. Its a whole load of fun wen u know how to do them....the thing is, I've forgotten. So, indeed, there is NO fun.

Can anyone help me...with a example?plz?

JazakAllah. I owe you!!:giggling::giggling::giggling:Not!!:giggling: :giggling::giggling::giggling:

Allah ma3akum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
deen
11-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Balancing Chemical Equations is absolutely essential if you want to determine quantities of reactants or products. An unbalanced Chemical Equation gives only the identify of the beginning reactants and the final products using the appropriate formulas as well as the conditions of temperature, physical state, and pressure conditions under which the reaction is to operate under. However an unbalanced equation can say nothing about the quantities involved until the equation has been balanced. A balanced equation assures that the Conservation Law of matter is obeyed. The total mass of reactants must equal the total mass of products. A balanced equation is like a recipe. It tells you the proportional quantities of each substance involved. The coefficients that appear to the left of each formula can be interpreted as mole units or molecules, but for practical purposes, the coefficients will be interpreted as mole units. No coefficient is interpreted as 1 mole. The following principles should be employed when balancing a Chemical Equation by inspection:

Never touch subscripts when balancing equations since that will change the composition and therefore the substance itself.
Check to be sure that you have included all sources of a particular element that you are balancing on a particular side since there may be two or more compounds that contain the same element on a given side of an equation.
I would suggest that you adjust the coefficient of mono atomic elements near the end of the balancing act since any change in their coefficient will not affect the balance of other elements
When there are a group of atoms that are acting as a unit such as a polyatomic ion and they appear intact on both sides of the equation, it is best to balance them as a self contaned group. For example, if there are Phosphate groups, PO4-3, that appear on both sides, balance the phosphates as a group instead of separating the Phosphorus and Oxygens. It can be done either way, but there is less likely of a mistake if they are balanced as Phosphate groups.

Consider the example of:

(NH4)2CO3 ---> NH3 + CO2 + H2O
The first thing to do is choose a starting point. If we choose the carbon as the starting point, we go nowhere, since there is already one carbon on each side. Choosing oxygen is not good, because the oxygen is divided between two species on the right side. The interesting part is in the ammonium (NH4) ion. If we start with the nitrogen on the left (in the ammonium ion), we see that there are two nitrogens and therefore we must put at "2" in front of the ammonia on the right side.

(NH4)2CO3 ---> 2 NH3 + CO2 + H2O
Since we are already working with the ammonia, now consider the hydrogens that make up the rest of the molecule: the six hydrogens in the ammonia plus the two hydrogens in the water make eight hydrogens. Bouncing back across to the left side, we count eight hydrogens; since no other atomic species have been changed, we can count up everything and see that the reaction is now balanced:

2 N, 8 H, 1 C, and 3 O on each side.

Ameeratul Layl
11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
:sl:
Errr, brother I really didnt need a lecture on the wierd topic, I have a teacher for that::giggling::giggling::giggling:

I just needed a lil help with a few examples. The example u have provided is a lil confusing!!! :giggling::giggling:

Allah ma3ak
p.s: Thanks for trying....thats the thing with science....neva ever satisfied with anything.:giggling::giggling:

Protected_Diamond
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
asalamualykum warhmatulahi wabarakthu

awwh sis i feel for ya, i HATE balancing equations is soo hard lol, even though i got a b 4 science

walakumasalaam warhmatulahi wabarakthu

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
um hope tis helps

A mathematical equation:
x+2x=3x

A chemical equation identifies the starting and finishing chemical as reactants and products:

reactants -----------> products

Example (combustion of propane)
C3H8 + 5O2 3CO2 + 4H20

A chemical equation is balanced when it reflects the conservation of mass and charge.

ok so i totally sucked at chemistry- this seems useful though
http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/betha/nealChemBal/

Zuko
11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm still learning them and I don't get any of it either... But I hope these examples can help ya...

* O2 + H2 ----> H2O

First count the number of oxygen atoms... On the left, there's 2 and on the right, there's 1. So, Put a 2 in front of H2O on the right to have 2 atoms of Oxygen.

* O2 + H2 ----> 2 H2O

Now you'll notice that there's 2 atoms of oxygen on both sides. So now we'll move to Hydrogen. There's 2 on the left, and 4 on the right. You'll need to add 2 more to the left side so place a 2 in front of the Hydrogen.

* O2 + 2 H2 ----> 2 H2O

Here's another one:

* Fe + O2 ----> Fe2O3

First, we'll look at Iron (Fe). There is on atom of Iron on the left, and 2 on the right. So, you'll have to place a 2 in front of the Fe on the left, to have 2 atoms of iron on either side.

* 2 Fe + O2 ----> Fe2O3

Now since, there are two atoms of Iron (Fe) on each side, we'll move to Oxygen. There are two atoms of oxygen on the left and 3 on the right. Now, you find the LCM, which is 6. So on the left, you'll have a 3 in front of the oxygen (to get 6 atoms) and you'll place a 2 in front of Fe2O3 (also to get 6 atoms of oxygen).

* 2 Fe + 3 O2 ----> 2 Fe2O3

Now you'll notice that the number of Iron atoms on the left do not equal the number of Iron atoms on the right. There are 2 on the left, and 4 on the right. Now, instead of a 2 in front of Iron, place a 4.

* 4 Fe + 3 O2 ----> 2 Fe2O3

Is this how you wanted it? Sorry if I wasn't of any help... This is how I learned it... In simple words, try to get the same number of every atom on each side.

- Qatada -
11-01-2005, 07:32 PM
:eek: O2'z ma phone/cell network :p

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
:eek: O2'z ma phone/cell network :p

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Yeah wateve:giggling: :giggling:

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 02:04 PM

JazakAllah to all brothers and sisters who have tried to help me with this equation einstein stuff.:giggling: :giggling:
I really do appreciate it!!:rolleyes:

Allah ma3akum

MetSudaisTwice
11-02-2005, 02:10 PM
salam
BORING!!!!
*quietly runs away*
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
BORING!!!!
*quietly runs away*
wasalam

Brother....u are doing it again. FIRST my imam of the haramain picture thread and now my equation thread.Why do u go off topic!!
I dont care if u find it boring. I didnt ask you for ur opinion. I only asked for help!!!!
And u are of course....not any help at all!!!

Allah ma3ak

MetSudaisTwice
11-02-2005, 02:16 PM
salam
sorry my mistake
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=Aalimah;103538]I'm still learning them and I don't get any of it either... But I hope these examples can help ya...

:w:
Wallah sis! This is ace. I'm actually beginning to understand it. Will be doing a few exercises from my textbook after I have looked at ur example again. :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

JazakAllah sis.
Rep points cuming ur way.InshAllah.:loving: :loving::bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Allah ma3ik
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Zuko
11-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Aww thanks! btw you already gave me reps so that's enough for me! Such a sweetheart (as always):loving: Hope you and your family have a wonderful eid! :loving:

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Aww thanks! btw you already gave me reps so that's enough for me! Such a sweetheart (as always):loving: Hope you and your family have a wonderful eid! :loving:

Awww....u sweetheart. I wish I cud hug be.....in gud tym I suppose.:giggling:

Eid Mabrook to you and ur family- kulu 3aam wa antum bikhayr.

Allah ma3ik

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.