/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Islam from a Sikh

Ha55an
11-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Assalamualaikum
I got some questions to ask. On this other forum topic about Islam. http://groups.msn.com/OXFORDISLAM/ge...86169775420239 .On this website this Sikh wrote a lengthy answer about islam, and upon reading it i replied. However i have little knowledge and may have rushed into replying, but now feel it is upon me to write a reply, with your help inshallah

1) Can anyone provide me with articles for circumcision from non-muslim sources? This Sikh brother refers to it as "mutilation of babies". I'm been told on several occasions it is a hygienic healthy practice but have never actually read up on it

2)Regarding alcohol, does anyone know the chain of events leading to the prohibition of alcohol. This Sikh brother is implying that Muhammed SAW only began to prohibit it when Sahabi RA used to come up to him and complain of drunks. Is this true? Or is there more to it than simply that

3) I don't quite know how to answer his allegation that we worship a rock by doing pilgrimage to it. He says this is nothing but idol worship

4)he goes on to say that Sikhs don't believe one place or city is holier than another and that you'd get more reward praying in one place.They believe the whole earth is there for us to pray on. again i didn't quite know how to explain this

5) Touching on this he says sikhs can pray to god at anytime.He says this is different in islam that we believe a women is dirty when she has had a period and at this time isn't allowed to pray to god.Is this true?

6)Why can't non-muslims go to Mecca

7)Why doesn't Qur'an provide date Adam and Eve were created

JazkAllah Khair for help with any replies. Also if naybody wishes to personally reply to the article, alhumdulillah you probably have more knowledge and it is what i would prefer.In honesty, a friend told me about this forum telling me there are some knowledgable people here in particular some of the moderators and suggested i ask for help here.If anyone wishes to reply to the article themselves please alhumdulillah go ahead and don't think that i would mind thinking its "my debate" etc

JazakAllah Khairun
W/Salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-04-2005, 04:37 PM
:sl:

Welcome to the forum brother. I am no scholor but i can answer a couple of those questions Inshallah.

3) I don't quite know how to answer his allegation that we worship a rock by doing pilgrimage to it. He says this is nothing but idol worship
First of all, we arent praying it. We are praying toward it. The wisdom behind this is that all muslims turn toward 1 place in prayer, if it wasnt ordained as Qiblah then everyone would be praying in different directions. It is a aspect of unity. WE are united becuase we all pray in the same direction as one, 5 times a day.

Surah Baqarah:

142. The fools (pagans, hypocrites, and Jews) among the people will say, "What has turned them (Muslims) from their Qiblah [prayer direction (towards Jerusalem)] to which they were used to face in prayer." Say, (O Muhammad ) "To Allâh belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills to a Straight Way."

144. Verily! We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad's ) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid- al-Harâm (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scriptures (i.e. Jews and the Christians) know well that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Ka'bah at Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their Lord. And Allâh is not unaware of what they do.

148. For every nation there is a direction to which they face (in their prayers). So hasten towards all that is good. Wheresoever you may be, Allâh will bring you together (on the Day of Resurrection). Truly, Allâh is Able to do all things.

149. And from wheresoever you start forth (for prayers), turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-al-Harâm (at Makkah), that is indeed the truth from your Lord. And Allâh is not unaware of what you do.

150. And from wheresoever you start forth (for prayers), turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-al-Harâm (at Makkah), and wheresoever you are, turn your faces towards, it (when you pray) so that men may have no argument against you except those of them that are wrong-doers, so fear them not, but fear Me! - And so that I may complete My Blessings on you and that you may be guided.

Surah Tawbah:

009.028 O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque. And if ye fear poverty, soon will God enrich you, if He wills, out of His bounty, for God is All-knowing, All-wise.
Simply Allah's command.

Inshallah others can answer the other questions.

:w:

S_87
11-04-2005, 04:49 PM

regarding Q1
http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Jews-a...ircumcised.htm
http://www.circinfo.com/

4- as muslims we can pray anywhere too..ask him why sikhs have temples then?!

5- shows his ignorance. tell him to give evidence a women cant Pray to Allah

adding to what bro Ahmed said regarding Q6

Muhammed PBUH said
will certainly expel the Jews and the Christians from the Arabian Peninsula,, and I will not leave anyone there but Muslims
Tirmidhi

Two religions cannot coexist in the Arabian Peninsula
abu Dawood

Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) left behind three instructions. He said: Expel the mushrikeen from the Arabian Peninsula, honour the delegations the way that I do, and he kept quiet about the third.
Abu Dawood.

also, what would a non muslim want to do there?!

- Qatada -
11-04-2005, 06:14 PM
question 1:

Male Circumcision May Lower AIDS Risk
http://health.dailynewscentral.com/c...ew/0001361/49/

question 2:

reasons for prohibition of alcohol:
http://www.islamicvoice.com/march.99/zakir.htm

http://www.geocities.com/mamuskh/ZNalcohol.html

question 3:

If Islam is against idol worship, why do the Muslims worship and bow down to the Kaaba in their prayer?

the answer is on the following link insha Allah:

http://www.drzakirnaik.com/pages/qanda/9.php

question 4:

God has bestowed upon me six favors which the former Prophets did not enjoy:

*I have been endowed with the gift of pithy and perfect speech.

*I was granted victory owing to my awe.

* The spoils of war were made lawful unto me.

* The whole earth has been made the place of worship for me and

it has become the means of purification for me also.
In other words,

in my religion, offering of prayers is not confined to certain specified

places of worship. Prayers can be offered at any place over the

earth.
And in case water is not available, it is lawful for my people

to perform ablutions with earth (Tayammum) and to cleanse themselves with the soil, if water for bathing is scarce.

* I have been sent by Allah to carry His Divine message to the whole world.

* And the line of prophets has come to its final end in me.
(Muslim, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

question 5:

this is not true at all. a muslim woman can still pray to Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) but she does not have to pray the salaah, she can even recite the qur'an (alot of scholars differ on the touching of the qur'an) etc.

and yeh that is a way of praying to Allah (swt), and any other form of worship is permissible. when her menstruation period is over and she
has done ghusl (a bath) - then she can start performing salaah again
- so she has hardly any limits (when in menstruation) in forms of worship - except the praying of salaah.

we dont believe shes dirty either. a man is allowed to touch his wife and do anything he wishes with her partner (e.g kissing etc.) + vice versa, apart from sexual intercourse - and this can be performed again after her menstruation period is over and after she has done ghusl (had a bath.)

Sahih Muslim: Book 003, Number 0581:

Umm Salama reported: While I was lying with the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) in a bed cover I menstruated, so I slipped away and I took up the clothes (which I wore) in menses. Upon this the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Have you menstruated? I said: Yes. He called me and I lay down.

read more hadith regarding menstruation off the following link plz

insha Allah:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...m/003.smt.html

now compare this to the jews at that time - they would kick the woman out of their house until their partners menstruation period was over.

question 6:

(9:28) O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque. And if ye fear poverty, soon will God enrich you, if He wills, out of His bounty, for God is All-knowing, All-wise.

i'm not a scholar so please keep that in mind.

my opinion on this is:

the pagans and non muslims were/are impure - they worship other gods and place partners with Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) - shirk. do they have the right to go to the sacred house if they are putting partners with Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) ?

And when We assigned to Ibrahim the place of the House, saying: Do not associate with Me aught, and purify My House for those who make the circuit and stand to pray and bow and prostrate themselves. (22.26)

one can only be pure if he/she worships Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) alone - with no partners. the one who puts partners with Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) has failed and corrupted his/her own soul, but the one who worships Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) alone without any partners will be of the successful:

91:07 By the Soul, and the proportion and order given to it;
91:08 And its enlightenment as to its wrong and its right;-
91:09 He will indeed be successful who purifies it,
91:10 And he will indeed fail who corrupts it.

so if a person is not pure and does not worship/believe in Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) alone, then why should he/she have the privilege of visiting the sacred house?

but if a person purifies it - believes in Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) alone without any partners and sticks to this, they surely have purified it insha Allah and therefore can visit the holy place and best of all will be of the successful insha Allah.

Surely Allah will make those who believe and do good enter gardens beneath which rivers flow; and those who disbelieve enjoy themselves and eat as the beasts eat, and the fire is their abode. (47:12)

question 7:

knowing the date of when adam (r.a) and hawwa (eve) (r.a) were created would not affect us i.e it wasnt necessary to know that to increase our faith. Allah u a'lam (Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) knows best.)

if i find a answer regarding this i'll post something up though insha Allah.

---------------

if your unsure of anything or confused of what i said or if you need to ask anythin else, then please do and insha Allah we'll try to find some more answers (eg. if these dont help out or arent in depth enough etc.) jazak Allah khayr.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Desai
11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Bro Ha55an
1. Circumcision is an important aspect of taharah (cleanliness),which is so strongly emphasised in Islam, when the foreskin is not removed, urine and other secretions can collect under the folded skin.This area can become the site of very painful infections from bacterial growth and the minor operation of circumcision greatly simplifies basic hygiene for men and boys. An ayat from the Qur'an;
"Indeed God loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure" - Surah al-Baqarah.
Circumcision is so important that Rasulullah (SAW) encouraged his ummah to follow the way of Hadrat Ibrahim (AS). Hadrat Ibrahim (alayhis salam) was the first person to be circumcised at the age of 80.

2. Brother explain to him the this verse of the Qur'an;
"O you who believe, verily wine, gambling, worshipping idols and choosing spears are dirt and acts of the Shaytaan, so abstain. Verily, Shaytaan want to instil among you enmity and animosity through those evils."

Sahaaba's stayed away from alcoholism when the above ayat was revealed from Allah, not because the Sahabas' use to stay drunk, as previously mentioned.

3. This has already been answered by a sister.

4. *

5. “O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah) after this year. If you fear poverty Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Allah is Knower, Wise.” (AtTawbah).
Non-Muslims are regarded by the Qur’an as impure. You will not find any faith like islam that emphasis on taharah (cleanliness), in detail. Half of iman of a person (a beliver) is his/her's taharah.

Answers by Ahmed and Amani are valid points too. Hope they and others can help you more.

Vedad
11-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Assalamu Aleykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu!

Akhi "Akhee" answered good alhamdulillah but
this question is ALMOST like why didnt qur'an provide the date of the day of judgement.. and the answer there is THE SAME.. its of no use.. u know the date and thinkok ill make tawba a week before and u start... and when its 2 weeks left u die... why is it of no use? cuase U DONT KNOW WHEN URE GOING TO DIE!!!

wa ALLAHU ALEM!!

Samee
11-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Mashallah, great replies guys. From now on, bro whenever someone makes an allegation against Islam, tell them to bring forth PROOF. And then check it.

Alot of people make things up :(

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-04-2005, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ha55an
1) Can anyone provide me with articles for circumcision from non-muslim sources? This Sikh brother refers to it as "mutilation of babies". I'm been told on several occasions it is a hygienic healthy practice but have never actually read up on it
[Male] circumcision is a widely accepted and medically approved practice around the world, approximately one fifth of men in the world are circumcised, and over sixty percent in the US are circumcised. Thus, to label it "mutilation of babies", in spite of its acceptance amongst medical professionals, is just sheer ignorance. Medical doctors have always accepted circumcision as good penile hygiene as it prevents the collection of smegma under the foreskin as well as a number of other diseases. Here is a resource on the procedure:
http://www.circinfo.com/
http://www.circinfo.net/
http://medicirc.org/

The fact of the matter is that circumcision is simply a temporary procedure that occurs when the baby's nerves are not yet even fully developed. It leaves no long-term damage at all. It was a practice ordained by God, as the Jews practice it as well. Since any discomfort caused by the procedure is temporary, Muslims and Jews remain unconvinced by attempts to characterize circumcision as 'mutilation'.

2)Regarding alcohol, does anyone know the chain of events leading to the prohibition of alcohol. This Sikh brother is implying that Muhammed SAW only began to prohibit it when Sahabi RA used to come up to him and complain of drunks. Is this true? Or is there more to it than simply that
In Islam alcohol was prohibited gradually so that the people would be able to handle it. Had it been prohibited from day 1, Islam would have been very difficult for the arabs for whom alcohol was a staple of their diet. So just because something was revealed gradually does not mean that there is any inconsistency as your sikh opponent is suggesting. It is similar to a Professor who gives his students more and more difficult work as the course progresses. This is not a contradiction or inconsistency!

And many Qur'anic ayaat were revealed after a specific event. This does not mean that those verses were sent as a reaction to the event, for Allah swt intended to send these verses from the start. But they were revealed at particulr events so that the Muslims could understand and appreciate the practical implications of such verses.

This is a common misconception amongst those who are ignorant of Islam's strict prohibition against any forms of idol worship. The pilgrimage unites all of humanity as people of all races journey from all different lands to a common place of worship solely for the sake of God. This does not mean that one can only worship God in such place, but they unite human beings in their worship towards God. So when Muslims pray towards the Kaaba, it acts as a focal point directing all worship across the globe to God.

4)he goes on to say that Sikhs don't believe one place or city is holier than another and that you'd get more reward praying in one place.They believe the whole earth is there for us to pray on. again i didn't quite know how to explain this
Muslims also believe that the entire earth has been made a place of prayer for us. As the Prophet saws said, "The earth has been made for me, a masjid." (Sahih Bukhari, 323).

So the Masjids where Muslims go are not the only places of worship, but they are specific places solely devoted to the worship of God. These are locations where Muslims gather together in the common worship of their Creator, which signifies a much stronger desire to seek God than those who have not dedicated any specific location solely for the worship of God.

5) Touching on this he says sikhs can pray to god at anytime.He says this is different in islam that we believe a women is dirty when she has had a period and at this time isn't allowed to pray to god.Is this true?
No, it is not true.

First, The english word 'prayer' is ambiguous and in Islam we have many different words that carry this overall meaning. There is Dua (supplication), Salat (ritual formal prayer), and there is also Dhikr (contemplating on the Majesty of God). So yes, every can pray anywhere and at any time to God by making dua and dhikr. As for the formal Salah, this is a more involved practice, hence sick/disabled people and women having their period are excused from this practice. In these times of discomfort, Allah swt has made an exception for them. This does not mean that they are considered 'dirty', they simply are not in a state of ritual purity due to bleeding.

Why aren't Muslims entitled to a specific location reserved only for those who worship Allah swt? Many people woudn't let me enter their house, so why do Non-muslims make such a big deal of entering Makkah?

The Qur'an is not a historical textbook. Who on earth cares what date they were created? Is this going to benefit anyone in worshipping Allah?

Also, with regard to the issue of Islam being the fastest growing religion in the world, here is the evidence:
http://www.menj.org/fastest/

Ballerina
11-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Asalamualaikum,

those were some really good answers masha Allaah! Glory be to Allaah far above anything they associate with Him ... i got to learn a lot .. alhumdulillah ..

this might help if Allaah wills, with the question on Kaaba': http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13932&dgn=4

walaikumusalam.

Ha55an
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
JK for all replies mashallah they were very good

In paticular thanx for the replies on circumcision those links were most useful

JazakAllah Khair i know in future i can rely on you guys

Ha55an
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi :sl: i'm back again

http://groups.msn.com/OXFORDISLAM/ge...86169775420239

The forum above has got busy again with sikhs coming on. I think the questions are getting a bit hard for me so inshallah i am going to ask for your help again. I will request all of them to join this forum, but in the possibility that they will be stubborn and not join, i will have to just copy and paste answers between here and there. Or, if anyone here wants to join that forum that would also be good

Ok here go the questions

A) A sikh brother there asked about theory of abrogation. I gave the answer copy and pasted exactly from Zakir Naik's website regarding abbrogation

Here is what the sikh brother wrote in reply

You wrote, "but He substitutes them with something better or similar, indicating that the Torah, the Zaboor and the Injeel were substituted by the Qur’an "

Come on. Sikhism is very straightforward. There was one revelation and that is Sri Guru Granth Sahib. There are no contradictions or “gradual” progressions. It is the same truth throughout

"Why would God be “slow”? If something is sin and an abomination to God today, then it has to be stopped. There is no question of “gradual”. Does God play politics? If intoxication is wrong, then it takes a holy man to say “it is wrong” and end it. Not a politician to slowly say it’s wrong. Guru Nanak declared intoxication of all kinds is wrong. Smoking, drinking, any drugs. Guru Gobind Singh said the same. So many new principles were instituted by the Gurus and none was “gradual"

Can someone give me an adequate reply to this please?

B) My second question is regarding slavery in islam, and concubinage. This Sikh said the following

I guess the questions I have about Islam are a little difficult to answer. For example can you please read Hadith No 816 in which it says the following:

Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri, </SINDEX>may Allah be pleased with him, reported:
We went out with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) on the expedition to the <SINDEX stype="جماعة" svalue="Banu Al-Mustaliq">Banu Al-Mustaliq </SINDEX>and took captive some excellent <SINDEX stype="جماعة" svalue="Arab">Arab </SINDEX>women. We were suffering from the absence of our wives, (but at the same time) we refrained from copulation with our female captives lest should we lose the right of asking ransom for them (in case they bear children for us). So we decided to have sexual intercourse with them but by observing 'azl (withdrawing the male sexual organ before emission of semen to avoid conception). But we said: We are doing an act whereas Allah's Messenger is among us; why not ask him? So we asked Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), and he said: It does not matter whether you perform `azl or not, for every soul that is to be born up to the Day of Resurrection will be born.
(http://hadith.al-islam.com/bayan/Dis...ang=eng&ID=816)

What I want to know is, why did Prophet Mohammad allow his companions to rape captive women?

futhermore, why did Prophet Mohammad kill all the men in the Jewish tribe Banu Quraiza and sell their women and children off into slavery?

shanu
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Woman cannot pray to Allah when they menstruating is simple.
Allah is most just! Do u know how much pain we go through??????
We cant even stand??? How can we do sujood then???
We faint out of weakness, Ask dat Sikh fellow to ask his sister abt the pain she goes through...
Tell that to dat sikh fellow, God understands pain of woman, thats y he said dont pray, not becos we are dirty creatures??? Another thing??? We are still allowed to do dhikr n pray surahs, as long as we dont touch the actual QURAN, i even heard we can touch the english translations.

shanu
02-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Circumsion is very important, even non muslims do it nowdays, Do u know the male organ accumulates dirt the most, by removing da skin, its much cleaner, and can be washed properly... Ask da sikh guy to learn how to wash 1st n den ask abt circumsion. Its very dirty, if its not circumsized. tell him D.I.R.T. causes disease!! That was y islam emphasized on circumsion because it gives great important to cleaniness

Why would God be “slow”? If something is sin and an abomination to God today, then it has to be stopped. There is no question of “gradual”. Does God play politics? If intoxication is wrong, then it takes a holy man to say “it is wrong” and end it. Not a politician to slowly say it’s wrong. Guru Nanak declared intoxication of all kinds is wrong. Smoking, drinking, any drugs. Guru Gobind Singh said the same. So many new principles were instituted by the Gurus and none was “gradual"
This made me laugh, if all sorts of intoxication are prohobited, how come our Bhayis are still drinking n sleeping on roads, n touching woman which are unlawful to dem???
2ndly, Allah is most understanding, just like slavery was prohibited step by step, Alcohol is prohibited step by step. Y do u think Bhayis are still drinking? Imagine you have a bad habit, e.g sucking ur thumb. If ur mom comes to u suddenly n say, "STOP IT!! IF I SEE U SUCKING UR THUMB AGAIN I'LL KILL" . But human nature doesnt work that way, ur deprived off ur habit, n u suck ur thumb secretly becos u need time to get over the habit. Allah made this non drinking process gradual 4 one reason, he is most just n he understands humans have to get rid of this slowly, not becos he was a SLOW god, its becos he is an understanding god. Nothing can be erased Off suddenly. A bad habit is like a MOUNTAIN, u cannot remove it just like that, u have to take part by part, stone by stone, by removing it gradually ur ensuring that the Bad habit will be gone forever and not come back in a few days

Ahh 4 ur question on slavery i have the perfect answer 4 that. That incident didnt even happen. Read below
Does Islam allow Slavery?

Question: I am a Captain in the Pakistan army and would like to know if can we have sexual relations with the women we are able to capture in wars? I have heard that in one of the wars during the time of the Prophet (sws), the whole Muslim army raped slave women offered to them provided that they practiced ‘Azal (coitus interruptus).
Answer: Well I am afraid you cannot do so. Since the question you have raised is an important one. I’ll give you a detailed answer:
In my opinion, among many other misconceptions about Islam is the notion that it gives sanction to slavery and permits its followers to enslave prisoners of war, particularly women and establish extra-marital relations with them. Islam, I must strongly affirm, has not the slightest link with slavery and concubinage. On the contrary, it completely forbids these practices. It is quite outrageous to associate such barbarities with a religion revealed to upgrade humanity.
The point which needs to be appreciated and which, perhaps, is the real cause of the misconception is that Islam had adopted a gradual process to abolish the institution of slavery because of the social conditions prevalent in Arabia at that time. It must be kept in mind that slavery was an integral part of the pre-Islamic Arab society. There were scores of slave men and women in almost every house. This was largely due to two reasons: First, during those times, the standard practice of dispensing with prisoners of war was to distribute them among the army who captured them. Second, there were extensive slave markets in Arabia in that period where free as well as men and women of all ages were sold like animals.
In these circumstances, in which slavery had become an essential constituent of the Arab society, Islam adopted a gradual way to eliminate it. An immediate order of prohibition would have created immense social and economic problems. It would have become impossible for the society to cater for the needs of a large army of slaves, who were, otherwise, dependent on various families. Also, the national treasury was in no position to provide them all on a permanent basis. A large number among them were old and incapable of supporting themselves. The only alternative left for them, if they were instantly freed, would have been to turn to beggary and become an economic burden for the society. The question of slave girls and women was even more critical, keeping in view their own low moral standards. Freeing them, all of a sudden, would have only resulted in a tremendous increase in brothels.
Perhaps, the reason behind this gradual eradication can be understood better if one considers the position which interest occupies in the economy of Pakistan today. No one can refute Pakistan’s national economic structure is interest oriented. How the parasite of interest has crippled the national economy is apparent to every keen eye. However, there is no denying the fact that without it our present economic system cannot sustain itself. Every reasonable person will acknowledge that today if a government wishes to rid the economy from this menace then, in spite of its utter prohibition in Islam, it will have to adopt a gradual methodology. During this interim period interest oriented deals will have to be tolerated and temporary laws will have to be enacted to handle them, just as the Qur’an had given certain provisional directives about slaves during the interim period of their gradual eradication. An alternative economic framework will have to be steadily incorporated in place of the existing one. A sudden abolition, without another parallel base, will only hasten the total collapse of the economic system, which, of course, will be disastrous for the country.
To avert a similar disaster and to ward off a similar catastrophe, Islam had adopted a progressive and a gradual scheme, fourteen hundred years ago, to do away with the inhuman institution of slavery. Following are some of the measures it took in this regard:
1. In the early Makkan period, it pronounced that slave emancipation was a great deed of piety. The very initial Makkan surahs appealed to the Muslims to liberate as many slaves as they could.
2. The Prophet (sws), unequivocally, directed the Muslims to raise the standard of living of the slaves and bring it equal to their own standard. This, of course, was meant to discourage people from persisting with them.
3. For the atonement of many sins manumission of slaves was divinely ordained.
4. All slave men and women who could support themselves in the society were directed to marry one another, in order to raise their moral and social status.
5. A permanent head in the public treasury was fixed to set free slave men and women.
6. Prostitution, which was largely carried out through slave women, who were mostly forced by their masters do so, was totally prohibited.
7. The affronting names of ‘abd (slave-man) and amah (slave-woman) by which slave men and women were called, were abrogated so that people should stop regarding them as slaves. In their place, the words fata (boy) and fatat (girl) were introduced.
8. Finally, the law of mukatibat provided very easy access for the slaves to the gateway to freedom. Every slave who was capable of supporting himself was allowed by law to free himself, provided that he either gave a certain monetary amount to his master or carried out certain errands for him. After this, he could live as a free man. A special head in the treasury was fixed for this purpose; also, wealthy people were urged to help the slaves in this regard. The net result of this law was that only handicapped and old slaves were left to be provided for by their masters, which not only went in their own favour but also prevented them from becoming an economic burden on the society.
As far as the war you have referred to, let me correct you on your information.
In the battle of Bani Mustaliq, the prisoners captured were either freed in the battlefield as a favour while some others were freed on ransom. The Prophet (sws) brought the remaining prisoners to Madinah and while waiting for their families to procure them, gave them into the temporary custody of his Companions (rta). Since at that time, the prohibition of slavery was passing through the interim period when it was still intact for reasons stated earlier, the Prophet (sws) accepted the right of masters to have sexual intercourse with the slave women as was the international law at that time but set about taking steps that could prevent this from actually happening. Let me explain the most important measure he adopted:
Among the prisoners of this battle was Sayyidah Jawayriyyah as well. Her father arrived with some camels as ransom. The Prophet (sws) inquired about the two well-bred camels he had hid behind. This astounded him so much – for he knew that there could be no way that the Prophet (sws) could have had knowledge of them – that he accepted faith. At this, Sayyidah Jawayriyyah also accepted faith. The Prophet (sws) proposed for her to which her father consented. Upon this, the marriage was solemnized. The result of this marriage was that all the remaining prisoners of war were set free by the Muslim soldiers, since they thought that it was not appropriate to keep the Prophet’s in-laws in captivity.
So actually no such instance of sexual intercourse with the slave women took place. It is totally wrong that they were raped. Also today as far as prisoners of was are concerned, they cannot be taken to be slaves and sexually benefited from. After the abolition of slavery that took place in the time of the Prophet (sws) as described above, no one dare maltreat a p.o.w. let alone sexually harass them. (SOURCE)

Another thing Hassan bro, dont bother with the sikh, empty vessels make the most noise, this ppl are argueing not to be convinced but just to irrittate u n convince themselves that their god is true.

sweetangel16
02-24-2006, 01:47 AM

well.. wether that is tru or not the prophet sallahu alhee wa salem already had intentions of prohibiting it as naything that is unhealthy like beer pork is not allowed he did not stop it right away because teh arabs of teh time loved beer so much and were addicts so he had to prohibit it in steps so that it would b that that for them...

no it is not as it is a buliding not an idol we do not worship or pray to the kabah we pray to god alone... the kabah for us is like allah's house like the masjids...
the whole wisdom behind the muslims rotating around the kabah is to unite the muslims under one place...
wen all the muslims rotate alongside they are united...

well this is based on the fact that we belive in a specific prophet (mohamed peace b upon him) and that the place he lived is considered holy for us...
BUT anywhere we pray we still get the same sins except in mecca since the kabah is there and it is very hard to get there...

yes this is tru that a women during her period can not pray this is because period blood scientificaly is not considered cleab... it consists of many dirty bacteria and it is very impure thats y even inw estern societies u can not have intercourse with a women who has her monthly or else he can get sick
so with this it shows that the period is not clean adn we muslims belive that when we are praying to god we must b very clesn thats y there is a hadith that says that cleaness is from faith and also before we pray we make abultion so that we may b clean before we pray to god...

)Why can't non-muslims go to Mecca

they can... the goverment does not prophibit it neither does islam... during the prphets time there were non muslims living right there....

CAUSASIAN
02-24-2006, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ha55an

Since Arabs at that time were heavy drinkers. The Qurans seems to wean them of wine in steps. Since its an addictive drug. I think its beautiful the way it was done.

The first verse showed that Allah (SWT) dislikes alcohol.

The second verse prohibited people from praying when drunk.

The third verse prohibited alcohol completely.

Mohsin
02-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Salam Ha55an

It's good you're givin da'wah to sikhs, i myself have a sikh friend that i have tried reverting but to no result

Check these previous posts out

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...highlight=sikh

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...highlight=sikh

I also read of some good sites here

Is guru Nanek a prophet Of God http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...AskAboutIslamE

How to convince a Sikh about islam http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...AskAboutIslamE

Inshallah they'll be helpful, you should urge them to join this forum, it will e a more productive dialogue rather than just going from one forum to another, and there are quite a few knowledgale bros here aswell who will answer all allegations about islam inshallah

Ansar Al-'Adl
02-25-2006, 04:12 PM
:sl: Ha55an,

The first question is on abrogation, which is answered here:
http://www.load-islam.com/C/rebuttal...e_Word_of_God/

The second question is on relations with slave girls, which is answered here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...ave-girls.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.