/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Story of Alexander the Great at his death bed

onemuslima
11-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Story of Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great is known as the most powerful military leader and conqueror of the ancient world. Before he turned 30 years old he conquered an empire stretching over 3,000 miles from Greece to India. He was born in 356 BC in Macedonia, known today as northern Greece.

On his sickbed and during his last hour alive, Alexander the Great told his generals "After my death, when you put my body in the casket, let my arms hang over the edges with my palms wide open, so the public can see my empty hands while I am leaving the world." After he died, many dignitaries came to view the royal funeral and were very surprised to see his arms hanging over the edge of the casket with his palms wide open. They asked questions about this unique scene. A wise man told them “O’ People, Alexander the Great is telling us that when he ruled the world, great treasures of gold, silver and wealth came to be under his possession. Yet, indeed he is leaving the world empty handed."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
11-11-2005, 03:39 PM
salam
mashallah that is a good story with a great moral behind it
wasalam

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
:sl:

I have heard that ALexander the Great was infact the Prophet Dhul-kifl, the one who built the barrier between 2 mountains that hold the Yajuj and Majuj to this day and until Allah wills. Allahu Alam.

This story does show that he is a very wise person. Jazakallah khair for sharing it.

MetSudaisTwice
11-11-2005, 03:42 PM
salam
wasn't that dhul qain who built the walls?
was alexander a muslim?
sorry if that is a dumb question
wasalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-11-2005, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
wasn't that dhul qain who built the walls?
was alexander a muslim?
wasalam

You may be correct. Dhul-kifl or Dhul-Qarnain. Im not sure. Inshallah, ill research that and post it Inshallah. Ive heard that he may have been what the west labels Alexander the great.

MetSudaisTwice
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
salam
am sure it was dhul qarnain, but you can research it for definite
i wanna know if alexander was a muslim
wasalam

- Qatada -
11-11-2005, 04:16 PM
check this out insha Allaah:

Dhul qarnayn/Alexander the great?
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur.../BBhorned.html

i think its better not to look into this too deep because there are alot of kufar sites that say the Qur'an has errors in etc. which may confuse everyone. so lets stick to the basics yeh? and get a deeper understanding of the more important islamic figures insha Allaah.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Rabi'ya
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by onemuslima
Story of Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great is known as the most powerful military leader and conqueror of the ancient world. Before he turned 30 years old he conquered an empire stretching over 3,000 miles from Greece to India. He was born in 356 BC in Macedonia, known today as northern Greece.

On his sickbed and during his last hour alive, Alexander the Great told his generals "After my death, when you put my body in the casket, let my arms hang over the edges with my palms wide open, so the public can see my empty hands while I am leaving the world." After he died, many dignitaries came to view the royal funeral and were very surprised to see his arms hanging over the edge of the casket with his palms wide open. They asked questions about this unique scene. A wise man told them “O’ People, Alexander the Great is telling us that when he ruled the world, great treasures of gold, silver and wealth came to be under his possession. Yet, indeed he is leaving the world empty handed."
MashAllah, a good story

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Bittersteel
11-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I have heard that ALexander the Great was infact the Prophet Dhul-kifl, the one who built the barrier between 2 mountains that hold the Yajuj and Majuj to this day and until Allah wills. Allahu Alam.

This story does show that he is a very wise person. Jazakallah khair for sharing it.
nope that's just wrong.

Bittersteel
11-11-2005, 05:20 PM
http://www.islam-is-the-only-solution.com/sunset.htm

http://www.islam-is-the-only-solution.com/gmz.htm

- Qatada -
11-11-2005, 05:27 PM
jazak Allaah khayr bro abrar! some good links masha Allaah.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

edil
11-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Thats right you dont anything out of this world but empty handed but if you do good reward then allah will forgive you and take to his mercy which is paradise.
Jizaka Allah khayr

Samee
11-11-2005, 10:16 PM

It was Dhul-Qarnayn who built the barrier.

czgibson
11-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
was alexander a muslim?
Alexander the Great lived long before Islam was founded (356-323 BCE). Some believe he is the same as Dhul-Qarnayn, as mentioned in the Qur'an.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_great

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhul-Qarnayn

Peace

Brother_Mujahid
11-11-2005, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Åhmed

hmmm interesting, so all i need to do is the same and i'll be a very wise person.

:giggling:

ABWAN
11-12-2005, 05:33 AM
Assalamu alaikum wr wb

Ok this is gonna be a little lengthy..for the rest of the stuff, pls go here:
http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=80&chapter=13

Why was he called "Dhul-Qarnain" (i.e. Owner of the two horns)?
This is a controversial issue, that there is not a definite known reason behind this. Some said: he had something on his head that looked like two horns. Wahb Ibn Munabih said: He had two horns of brass on his head. (This interpretation is very weak)

Some scholars from among the People of the Book (Christians and Jews) said: This is because he ruled over Persian and Roman territories. It was also said: that he reached the first ray of the rising sun on the east and that on the west and he ruled over all that was in between. (The latter opinion is more likely true, which is the saying of Az-Zuhari)

Al-Hasan Al-Basri said: He had two braids of hair that he used to fold up and thus was called "Dhul-Qarnain". And, Ishaq Ibn Bishr narrated that the grandfather of 'Umar Ibn Shu' aib said: Dhul*Qarnain, once, invited a tyrant king to the way of Allah. The king hit him on the head and broke one of his horns. Dhul-Qarnain invited him again and the tyrant broke the second horn. Thus, he was called "Dhul-Qarnain" .

Narrated Ath-Thawri that 'Ali Ibn Abu Talib (May Allah be pleased with him) was once asked about Dhul-Qarnain. He replied saying: He was a rightly-guided and pious man. He invited his people to Allah, but they hit him on his horn (side of the head) and he was killed. Allah the Almighty resurrected him and he invited them again, again they hit him on his second horn and he was killed (for the second time). Allah the Almighty revived him and thus he was called "Dhul-Qarnain". In other narrations, it was narrated by Abu At-Tufail after 'Ali Ibn Abu Talib that he said: He was neither a Prophet, nor a Messenger, nor an Angel, but was a godly, pious worshipper.

What's his Name?

Scholars disagreed regarding his name. Az* Zubair Ibn Bakkar narrated after' Abdullah Ibn, Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him): His name was 'Abdullah Ibn Ad-Dahhak Ibn Ma'd; or Mus'ab Ibn 'Abdullah Ibn Qinan Ibn Mansur Ibn 'Abdullah Ibn Al-Azd Ibn Ghauth Ibn Nabt Ibn Malik Ibn Zaid Ibn Kahlan Ibn Saba' Ibn Qahtan.

It has been narrated in a Hadith that he was from the tribe of Himyar and that his mQther was Roman, and he was called the Philosopher for the excellence of his mentality. However, As-Suhaili said: his name was Marzaban Ibn Marzabah. This was mentioned by Ibn Hisham who mentioned in another location that his name was: As-Sa'b Ibn Dhi Mara'id who was the grandfather of the Tababi'ah and it was him who gave the verdict to the benefit of Ibrahim (Peace be upon him) pertaining to the well of As-Sab' .

It was said: He was Afridun Ibn Asfiyan who killed Ad-Dahhak. Al-Qass Ibn Sa' idah Al-Iyadi said in his famous sermon: 0 folk of Ayad Ibn As-Sa'b! Dhul-Qarnain ruled over the west. and east, subjugated the Jinn and mankind, and he lived for two thousand years. However, all this was just like a twinkle of the eye.

Ad- Daraqutni and Ibn Makula mentioned that his name was Hirmis, or Hirwis Ibn Qitun Ibn Rumi Ibn Lanti Ibn Kashaukhin Ibn Yunan Ibn Yafith Ibn Nuh (Noah (Peace be upon him)), and Allah knows best!

Ishaq Ibn Bishr narrated after Sa'id Ibn Bashir on the authority of Qatadah as saying: Alexander was (called) Dhul-Qarnain, his father was the first Caesar, and he was from among the offspring of Sam Ibn Nuh (Noah (Peace be upon him)).

At this conjecture one should distinguish between two people who were called Dhul-Qarnain. The first is our pious Dhul-Qarnain while the second is Alexander Ibn Philips Ibn Masrim Ibn Hirmis Ibn Maitun Ibn Rumi Ibn Lanti Ibn Yunan Ibn Yafith Ibn Yunah Ibn Sharkhun Ibn Rumah Ibn Sharfat Ibn Tufil Ibn Rumi Ibn AI-As far Ibn Yaqz Ibn Al-'lis Ibn Ishaq Ibn Ibrahim (Peace be upon him). This lineage was stated by Al-Hafiz Ibn' Asakir in his Tarikh (History). Moreover, he was the Macedonian, Greek, Egyptian leader who established Alexandria and basing on whom the Romans set their Calendar. He came after the first Dhul-Qarnain with a very long time. This was three hundred years before Jesus (Peace be upon him). His minister was the famous Philosopher Artatalis. Moreover, he was the one who killed Dara Ibn Dara, and subjugated the Persian kings and seized their lands. We only drew the reader's attention to this because many people think that the two men called "Dhul-Qarnain" are me, which is a big mistake for there were great differences between both. The first was a godly, pious, righteous worshipper of Allah the Almighty, and he was a just king whose minister was the pious man, Al-Khadlr. Moreover, some scholars stated that he was a Prophet as well. Whereas, the latter was a polytheist whose minister was a philosopher as mentioned earlier. In addition, the time elapsed between them both was more than two thousand years. Hence, none can miss the great differences and variance between both of them but an ignorant idiot who know nothing at all!

Allah's Saying: {And they ask you about Dhul*-Qarnain} was revealed because the people of Quraish asked the Jews of something about which they would ask the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) to test his knowledge. The Jews told them: Ask him about a man who traveled through the earth, and about some young men who set out and no one knew what happened to them? Thereupon, Allah the Almighty revealed the stories of the Owners of the Cave and that of Dhul-Qarnain. Thus, He said: {Say: I shall recite to you something of his story}, i.e. enough and sufficient news about him and his status. Then, He said: {Verily, We established him in the earth, and We gave him the means of everything}, i.e. Allah the Almighty expanded his kingdom and provided him with what might enable him to gain what he wished to. Narrated Qutaibah that 'Ali Ibn Abu Talib was once asked about Dhul-Qarnain: how could he reach the east and west? 'Ali replied: The clouds wert subjugated for him, the means (of everything) were provided to him, and he was given extension pertaining to the light. 'Ali added: Do you want me to go on? The man became silent and thereupon, 'Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) became silent.

Narrated Abu Ishaq As-Subai'i after 'Amr Ibn 'Abdullah Al-Wada'i: "I heard Mu'awiyah as saying: four persons ruled over the earth: Sulaiman Ibn Dawud the Prophet (Peace be upon them), Dhul*-Qarnain, a man from the people of Hulwan, and another man. Someone said: was it Al-Khadir? Mu'awiyah said: No."

Az-Zubair Ibn Bakkar narrated that Sufyan Ath* Thawri said: I have come to know that four persons ruled over the whole earth: two of them were believers and the other two were disbelievers. The believing two were: Prophet Sulaiman and Dhul-*Qarnain. And, the disbelieving two were: Namrud and Bikhtinassar." The same was narrated by Sa' id

Ibn Bashir.

Narrated Ishaq Ibn Bishr after Sa' id Ibn Abu 'Urubah after Qatadah after Al-Hasan as saying: "Dhul-Qarnain was a king after Namrud. He was a pious, righteous Muslim who traveled through the east and west. Allah the Almighty prolonged his life and granted him victory over the enemies and to ge1 hold of their properties. He conquered the land, subjugated the people and traveled through the earth till he reached the east and west. Allah the Almighty says: {And they ask you about Dhul-Qarnain. Say: "I shall recite to you something of his story." Verily, We established him in the earth, and We gave him the means of everything}, i.e. knowledge of seeking the means of fulfilling things. Ibn Ishaq said: Muqatil claimed that he used to conquer the lands and collect treasures, and used to offer the people two choices: whether they embrace his religion and follow him, or they be killed.

Ibn 'Abbas, Mujahid, Sa'id Ibn Jubair, 'Ikrimah, 'Ubaid Ibn Ya' la, As-Sadyi, Qatadah and Ad-Dahhak said: {and We gave him the means of everything}, i.e. knowledge. Qatadah and Matar Al-Warraq said: This means landmarks, locations, milestones and traces of the land. 'Abdur Rahman Ibn laid Ibn Aslam said: this means languages as he used not to conquer a people but he first speaks with them in their own language. The most possible and true explanation is that he knew all means through which he could fulfill his need or desire. As he used to take from every conquered region the provisions that enabled him to seize the next region, and so on.

Some scholars from among the People of the Book (Christians and Jews) mentioned that he spent one thousand and six hundred years traveling through the land inviting people to the worship of Allah the Almighty Who has no partner in His Dominion. But, it seems that there is some exaggeration in specifying that lengthy period, and Allah knows best!

Allah's Statement {So he followed a way. Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun} i.e. he reached the place that no one can ever overpass, and he stood on the edge of the western ocean called Oqyanus wherein the islands called Al-Khalidat "The Eternal Ones". There, he could watch the setting of the sun. {He found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water}, i.e. the sea or ocean, as one who stands ashore sees the sun as if it rises from and sets in the sea. For this he said {he found it}, i.e. as he thought.

Imam Ahmed narrated after Yazid Ibn Hamn after Al-'Awwam Ibn Haushab as saying: I was told by a freed-slave of 'Abdullah Ibn 'Amr after 'Abdullah as saying: Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) looked at the sun when it sat and said: "In Allah's blazing fire. Were it not for its prevention by Allah's Command, it would burn all that is on earth." (This Hadith is very Strange and Odd and surely it is not an Authentic one)

Zuko
11-13-2005, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by onemuslima
A wise man told them “O’ People, Alexander the Great is telling us that when he ruled the world, great treasures of gold, silver and wealth came to be under his possession. Yet, indeed he is leaving the world empty handed."
Jazakallah Khair for sharing this.... so true... :peace:

Ghazi
03-13-2006, 02:40 PM

Story of Alexander

Alexander is known as the most powerful military leader and conqueror of the ancient world. Before he turned 30 years old he conquered an empire stretching over 3,000 miles from Greece to India. He was born in 356 BC in Macedonia, known today as northern Greece.

Source: Partially extracted from the writtings of JC Pinkerton.

Anas bin Malik, may Allah be pleased with him, reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Three things follow the bier of a dead man, two of them come back and one is left with him: the members of his family, wealth and his good deeds. The members of his family and wealth come back while his deeds alone are left with him. (Sahih Muslim)

snowdropjasmine
03-13-2006, 04:37 PM
that is the truth brother
my allah bless you:sister:
:w:

Falafel Eater
03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Alexander the Great, was a Mushrik pagan btw. and got nothing to do with Islam, Christianity or Judaism.

--

dany
03-26-2006, 07:34 AM
:sl: Zulqarnain in the Quran is not the Alexander the Great,the Greek.History said that he's idol worshipper and not worthy to be glorified in the Quran.Zulqarnain is most likely to be King Darius/Cyrus I of Persia who lives 150 years before the Greek king

a.abraar
03-26-2006, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
hmmm interesting, so all i need to do is the same and i'll be a very wise person.

:giggling:
the story of alex is very interesting any more info please

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.