/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Down Crack

Z
11-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Peace and greetings all.

It's getting to the that point where I can't take it no longer. Why do people speak in stupid ******, 'hood' type English? We have been given good brains, and the chance to educate ourselves in schools teaching proper English, yet we end up speaking this rubbish, why?

Now not only is it very disturbing, but it's hard to understand. It creates a communication barrier. Of course, we all like to understand each other, but when some weird minded child decides to act all ghetto, you just can't get the message they're trying to say.

I want the admins and moderators to crack down on these weird minded people who decide to speak that sort of garbage on this forum.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Z
11-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Peace.

Ok Zak.

This also means the people who use SMS lingo on the board. I hate it. There is no character limit online, so why bother cutting down on words? Weird.

Halima
11-20-2005, 03:44 PM
:sl:

Firstly with all due respect brother , I don't think it was right of you use the 'n' word because some people may be very well offended here on this forum. This is forum contains a veriety of alot of people from different ethnic background, and of course African Americans. Instead of using the 'n' word you could've simply used the phrase 'inappropriate english'.

Secondly, people that use that type of english may not be taught at home. They don't always learn these things in school. It can be peer influence of it can be the culture that they exhibit but they don't always necessarily learn these type of concepts in school. So you cannot blame the teachers or you defiently cannot blame it on themselves becuase of the fact thay they are accustomed to this type of English every single day of their lives. there are other circmstances lurking around in the murky waters.

Thirdly, since you are so concerned about their English amd you request us to crack down on them why don't you become a modertor yourself? you might be a bit late but.. We can surely use an English moderator to help point out every wrong contracion or every fragment they make. Or every incorrect english grammer they made. Or the lack of punctuation and exclamation they made. Although, I can understand that it can be hard for us to read the english that people attribute here but that's merely called "slang". That's not called ------ language. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing.

P.S no hard feelings if i have offended you. Only a word of advice.

Far7an
11-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Assalamu alaikum
I want the admins and moderators to crack down on these weird minded people who decide to speak that sort of garbage on this forum.

Thank you.
And I want the members to stop starting topics which have no real benefit, how about we work together :coolious:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
11-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Greetings,

I've got no problem with slang until it becomes incomprehensible - I'm glad the text-speak has gone though. I just used to ignore posts written like that because it was too much effort to read them.

On a related point, I've been thinking of setting up a thread where people can ask about English spelling, grammar or punctuation (if there was any call for it). It's certainly a hard language to get right, but being able to write English well gives you a huge advantage. Let me know if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Peace

Zuko
11-20-2005, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I've got no problem with slang until it becomes incomprehensible - I'm glad the text-speak has gone though. I just used to ignore posts written like that because it was too much effort to read them.

On a related point, I've been thinking of setting up a thread where people can ask about English spelling, grammar or punctuation (if there was any call for it). It's certainly a hard language to get right, but being able to write English well gives you a huge advantage. Let me know if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Peace
I like the idea... I need to work on my grammar these days. Its horrible. :-\

nafy
11-20-2005, 04:54 PM
ok i feel bad now.... :(
i didnt know my text speak was causng problems here....
just want to apologise......and want to say that from now on i will try my best to type normal standard english......
its just that im so used to it thats why....
but im saying sorry now ok?? :)
(i swear i had to think carefully whilst writing this) ;)

sapphire
11-20-2005, 04:55 PM
oh dear...i beter stop writting in slang....my english is bad enough as it is...sorry...bro Z can u be a bit less offensive next time...sorry to break it to you...but the world does nottttt evolve round only you.....:peace:

h1jabi_sista
11-20-2005, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
as salam alikum and peace!
i think its a good idea, sometimes the way we write is the way we speak. Its sounds so much nicer to prounounce words fully and correctly aswell as writing them. Setting up an english spelling grammer thread would be very beneficial.

however, i have to see the other point of veiw. I used type txt language, it was only because i could express myself better and also the lazy factor!!!lol

:sister:

:w:

Hajar
11-20-2005, 05:13 PM

Well its true, SLANG is difficult to read. Especially when your native language isnt english...really its better to write proper english so that eveybody can understands everybody..

:w:

- Qatada -
11-20-2005, 05:15 PM
asalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

most of the people dont talk ghetto.. they might just write some letters short instead of having to write a longer word or they might just spell it differently. but it doesn't even matter as long as the person puts their point across and that people understand.

if we really spoke ghetto, the majority of the words we would use would be first of all swears, we would be actin tough like using alot of sarcasm (but you cant figure that out on the net anyway.) and the words that were being used wouldn't make sense to the majority of the users - yet on most threads people understand what each other are saying.

another thing that i'd like to point out is that the english language isn't all that perfect either.. a random example of the word 'cargo' is used for exporting items on ship, whereas when one is importing items by car or truck its called 'shipping'.. lol so who came up with that krazy idea? :p

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

nafy
11-20-2005, 05:22 PM
yes well said bro :)
i would have given you rep points as you deserve them...
but i cant because it says i got to spread them around abit ;)
i swear writing in proper english like this is really annoying for someone who almost always writes in text language!!!

akulion
11-20-2005, 06:43 PM
salam alaikum

slang and hood language huh...well i guess itwould include the member title

"LI Oldskool"

On a short note I would like to say the usege of the 'n' word particularly disturbed me a lot.

Using 'cutie' language on purpose is annoying I agree, example:
"my swheethest bruder howz yous doing?"

however in my view we have to recognize that if a post is using such variations of the language in excessive measure, yes we can tell the member to change his/her writing style. However random small terms used here or there should be tolerated, examples :"wazzup?" "hoz it goin?"

And finally we must not forget a very important lesson that not everyone is educated to the degree some of us may be and also due to the ethnic diversity of the members of this forum you may even encounter country specific terminology and has to be tolerated. Examples:
from the uk u could have "mate"
or from australia u may have "shrimp on the barbie"
or from the united states you may have "yo" or "wazzup"
from Canada you may have "eh"
from Pakistan you may have "yaar"

These differences should not be cracked down upon - they should be tolerated since they are not obscene. However all that being said, excessive usage in a single post must be warned.

br aku

sapphire
11-20-2005, 07:58 PM
well sed bro akhee and bro akulion...i think you both deserve some rep points..some one tell me how to give them..cant bother figuring it out (although i have given reps before)

Shadow
11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
from the uk u could have "mate"
or from australia u may have "shrimp on the barbie"
or from the united states you may have "yo" or "wazzup"
from Canada you may have "eh"
from Pakistan you may have "yaar"
"yo wazzup" "mate", you got a "shrimp on the barbie" "eh"?
what "yaar" is it?
:p

h1jabi_sista
11-20-2005, 08:04 PM
as salam alikum

sis, to give rep points u press the green button above their user name.

erm, just a point......shouldn't the title of the thread be 'Crack Down':sunny:

:w: :peace:

Uthman
11-20-2005, 08:45 PM

I also have to agree with brother Z. My view is that txt speak is fine, so long as it is restricted to txt and instant messaging (hence its name). However, when it comes to Islamic discussion boards, we should be a bit more moderate in the way we present ourselves. Not everyone here is our best friend who we can relax and talk to. Of course, that isn't to say that we can't relax here. I hope everyone can agree with me when I say that it is a place for civilised discussion. Again, basic slang is fine, buy at the point where one's posts becomes simply unreadable to the unpractised eye, I like many others, just ignore them. I'm sure that's not what people want.

This has been a matter of concern to me for some times and I'm glad that brother Z has brought it up.

Regards,

Osman

Z
11-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Peace.

You must know about those kids to wrote in the same slang and SMS lingo in their exam papers? Or was that just around my area?

I think if you start to use proper English on this board, it will help when you go out in to the real world and communicate. You won't find yourself being looked at because you said 'Hollaz' instead of a nice hello. Seriously, these things do happen, the more you do such a thing, it becomes first nature.

About being lazy, remember that being lazy is a tool of the devil. Only he makes a person lazy. Ask your Scholars.

Oh well, it seems as though help is never appreciated by people online. I wonder if life does exist around a computer and a cell phone for some. Hmm. I hope everyone understands my concern, and can take positive steps towards it.

Anything offensive said, I am sorry. And if you happen to disagree with anything, your entitled to.

sonz
11-21-2005, 08:18 AM
loooooooooooool

mod zak is vry funny

Z
11-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Peace.

Zak, I think you've lost a few. I wonder who taught you English.

Muezzin
11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
now i think "YOUR" counts as text speak there ;)

shudn't it be : YOU ARE ENTITLED TO. ? :?
That, or 'you're' ;)

But that's just a grammatical error not text speak. I agree text speak and 'ghetto slang' are annoying as heck.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!