/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What Counts?

Z
11-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Peace and greetings to all.

So I have a question. What answer can you give me.

I have read and heard so many times that it's the intention which counts. 'Oh Allah won't judge me by anything other than my intentions'. It doesn't matter if I don't do this, as long as I'm pure from inside and have good intentions. It's used a lot by sisters who don't don the Hijab. Sometimes by brothers who decide to eliminate the Sunnah and ordered practice of the prophet [saw] off their then female like faces.

So I ask you, what is it that counts, the intention, or the action? Are we ok in saying 'so long I'm pure from within'.. or are these just excuses being proved by the tongue that we are not pure from the inside?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Protected_Diamond
11-20-2005, 09:15 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakahtu

Both counts brother, your intention and your actions. It is true that Allah s.w.a will look at your intention's but at the same time your action's count too. btw just want to say that if you have good intention's Allah s.w.a will reward you having that good intention, and when you simple do that good deed Allah s.w.a will reward you more insha Allah whereas if you think of a bad deed Allah s.w.a won't punish you unless you commit that sin :peace:

:w: warhmatulahi wabarakahtu

- Qatada -
11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

i've thought over this for a while too.. and i've noticed that most people say that its the intention that counts, but then you look deeper into it and say to yourself; which intention?

if the sister has an intention to 'wear the headscarf' then how come shes not wearing it? whats her intention if she doesn't want to wear it. the same applies to the brother who has the intention of growing a beard; if his intention was to grow the beard but his facial hair hasn't grown yet, then fair enough; but he should grow the beard once the facial hair has grown, but if he has the facial hair yet doesn't grow the beard - then there is no intention in that dont you think?

how can you intend to drive a car if you dont even drive it when you get the chance? obviously if you back off from the act, then your backing off from the intention... therefore the person wont be getting rewarded for it, but Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.

regarding your question of which one counts more; its first the intention to do that act, and then when you get the chance to do the act, you should apply that to yourself. that is how you will be successful and hence get rewarded for it insha Allaah.

The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: (The value of) an action depends on the intention behind it. A man will be rewarded only for what he intended. The emigration of one who emigrates for the sake of Allah and His Messenger (may peace be upon him) is for the sake of Allah and His Messenger (may peace be upon him); and the emigration of one who emigrates for gaining a worldly advantage or for marrying a woman is for what he has emigrated. (sahih Muslim)

if a person has a good intention, they will get rewarded for it times 1, and once they do their action - they can be rewarded by upto 10, 70, 700 or even higher if Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala wills.

so work hard on the intention, do the act and you'll get rewarded even more insha Allaah.

Allaah u a'lam (Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

TEH
11-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Very interesting topic indeed, and I largely agree with Akhee. Fact is, if you dont do something which is Fardh, you will get sin for it, and that is that, so hey, you may 'pure' inside, but youre still going to get sin for not wearing the hijaab, or not doing something that is Fardh... :)

Anyway, fact is, Allah helps those who want to be guided, so those who dont wear it, then honestly, they dont really want it as much as they say...

Me and my sheikh one day...

Me: Sorry Sheikh, I havent learnt my page today (no legit excuse)...
Him: Oh dear, do you want to become a Hafidh?
Me: Yes of course I do...
Him: No you dont, because if you did, you would have learnt the page...

And you know what peeps, he is right, if I really did want it, I would have learnt the page, but I didnt... :)

Anyway, Congrate Akhee on becomeing trainee mod...

:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
knowledgeofself
11-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Salaam,

First let me say we need to follow the Quran constantly: that's our guide on what is right. Also, Allah judges us based on our hearts. Let me explain what an intention is: A determination to act in a certain way. Actions: the manner of performing. There is a difference between the two no doubt but one is determined or already preset in the mind, then the action follows. Your intention maybe pure; but what's really in you heart? Your heart and character is a motive. Everything has a motive behind it. I hope this helps; if not we'll talk some more. I will post some Quran sura's for us to follow on intentions and actions (what's right in the eyes of Allah).

:peace:

_salam_
11-21-2005, 06:58 AM
its both but you get more reward for actually doing the good deed. But you also have to rememeber that u have to actually be working towards the thing you want to happen. you cant say "oh i have the intention in my heart to grow a beard" and then go home and shave it off. obviously you weren't that intent on growing a beard if you just shaved it off, the same applies to the hijab or anything else.

SolaceinIslam
11-21-2005, 08:16 AM
:sl:

We are rewarded for intention if it is sincere and if it is good deeds. We are not punished for intending to do something bad unless we actually do the action... there is a hadith regarding this...

`Abdullah bin `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said that Allah, the Glorious, said: "Verily, Allah (SWT) has ordered that the good and the bad deeds be written down. Then He explained it clearly how (to write): He who intends to do a good deed but he does not do it, then Allah records it for him as a full good deed, but if he carries out his intention, then Allah the Exalted, writes it down for him as from ten to seven hundred folds, and even more. But if he intends to do an evil act and has not done it, then Allah writes it down with Him as a full good deed, but if he intends it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.