/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What kind of comments did you get?

*charisma*
11-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I dont remember if a thread like this has been made before, and if this is too "general" or if you feel in any way that it is insignificant than please close it down.

I was wondering, what kind of comments or questions that you brothers got for your beards or outerwear...and same to sisters, what kind of questions or comments have you recieved from people from wearing ur hijaab/niqaab? or what other comments you've heard people say.

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
TEH
11-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I have a beard, and what the heck, [edited] , what am I meant to do... :p

My mum wears a niqaab, and sometimes people call her a ninja, she doesnt mind though, but if she gives the signal, the person gets taught a lesson by me and my brothers...

;)

GRODT
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
dont' have a beard so yeah people don't look at me strange

mom doesn't wear the hijab

libyanhero
11-21-2005, 07:01 PM
well i have a goatee and cant grow a full beard yet but the last time i checked with people, it was hot on the block

mom wears hijab but the last time I seen niqabi [edited] well at least it covers the rest and the hijab is just an innocent lol.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
h1jabi_sista
11-21-2005, 07:08 PM
as salam alikum

okaaaay!!!! slightly off the topic!

i was once asked if i had hair......i was very tempted to say no i was bald.

but i like it when people ask you why you wear hijab. it gives you a chance to do dawah and also to increase your own iman. Know what your doing and why.

:w:

_salam_
11-22-2005, 12:09 AM
People always say I remind them of an Amish person cause of my beard, probably cause I shave the moustache part off.

And remember to check out http://mumininternational.spreadshirt.com

*charisma*
11-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

come on people im sure there are a lot of experiences that you can share with us inshallah.. maybe youre all shy or somethin :-\ ..

lol... yea ppl ask wierd things
heres a cute lil comic:

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Umm Yoosuf
11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
[QUOTE EDITED] 17.When a long article/post has been posted, and you want to comment on the article/post, do not quote it since it is a waste of space.

Wa Alaikumusslaam

loq subhanallah!

WEll sister's you all know my experience with my Hijab (in the sister's section) and more coming on the way:coolious: I don't see a need for sharing it with brothers:eek: What is not known by them won't harm them innit:rolleyes:

Some strange replies to the topic:-\

TEH
11-22-2005, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
[QUOTE EDITED]: 17. When a long article/post has been posted, and you want to comment on the article/post, do not quote it since it is a waste of space.
Hey you should link that... :)

www.ninjabi.com

habib
11-22-2005, 02:27 PM
i have a beard ... some people said, you are not handsome with beard .. but i don't care .. and some people (kafir) see me as a terrible person like i am going to kill them .. not only kafir .. also our muslims people say me that u are so young to have beard (i'm 16) .. humm

my mom and my two sisters wear hijab .. people (kafir) called them "Kalama" (i don't know how to explain that, but it's not good in our language (myanmar).)
but they still wear hijab and Insha Allah till die .. (they said) ..

~Raindrop~
11-22-2005, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by habib
i have a beard ... some people said, you are not handsome with beard .. but i don't care .. and some people (kafir) see me as a terrible person like i am going to kill them .. not only kafir .. also our muslims people say me that u are so young to have beard (i'm 16) .. humm

my mom and my two sisters wear hijab .. people (kafir) called them "Kalama" (i don't know how to explain that, but it's not good in our language (myanmar).)
but they still wear hijab and Insha Allah till die .. (they said) ..
:salaam: bro. dont worry about any of that. i started wearing the niqaab at age twelve(my own choice) and all the men in my family have beards.(most of them have never shaved) so its nothing to worry about. id rather please Allah than please a bunch of people.
:w: :coolious: :coolious: :coolious:

habib
11-22-2005, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
:salaam: bro. dont worry about any of that. i started wearing the niqaab at age twelve(my own choice) and all the men in my family have beards.(most of them have never shaved) so its nothing to worry about. id rather please Allah than please a bunch of people.
:w: :coolious: :coolious: :coolious:
:sl:

Thanks sister for your Advice ...

May Allah bless we all. Ameen

my sisters are also wear hijab in age of u .. i mean twelve ..

~Raindrop~
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
salaam
uh...uv confused me. hijaab as in...?
wassalam

MetSudaisTwice
11-22-2005, 03:50 PM
salam
don't have a beard, but i wear my white thobe and red scarf and the kuffars on the streets call me a terrorist, lol they are so stupid
little do they know that we wear the best form of clothes in islam
wasalam

~Raindrop~
11-22-2005, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam

wasalam
:sl: so true brother when i started wearing the niqaab i had a negative response but i carried on anyway.dont 4get i was only 12! even my MUM tried to make me stop wearing it. i thought it wasnt very fair coz she did it herself. she was telling me to wait until about 14. alhamdulillah its been 4 years now and no problems. like our Salaf have said, "where theres a will theres a way".:w: :coolious:

habib
11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
salam
don't have a beard, but i wear my white thobe and red scarf and the kuffars on the streets call me a terrorist, lol they are so stupid
wasalam

bro, right .. i agree u ..

MetSudaisTwice
11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
salam
wearing light loosing clothes like abaya for sis or thobe for bro are very comfortable and it shows that you don't need tight clothes to fit in and look comfortable in the society
wasalam

NativeDeen3
11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
well i usually dont get too many comments on my hijab...but here are a few:

-me and my older sister were in a corner store, when an old man passed by us and said 'i didnt know that it was halloween already'. then a few minutes later he said 'happy halloween'. i didnt hear the first comment, but i openly snorted/laughed at the second one.

-some afghani friends had come ovr, and we were talking in a parking lot. this guy opens his car door and asks 'why do u wear those things on ur head?' it was so hard not to laugh, because when i was explaining it to him he had such a blank look on his face. as soon as we got into our house we cracked up.

-this little kid says to me, 'i know ur wearing that because ur bald'. :mmokay: . again, i laughed :giggle:

sometimes other ppl have asked, but generally i dont get too many questions.

MetSudaisTwice
11-22-2005, 04:04 PM
salam
one comment i had was when i was walking with my cousin, we both were wearing white thobe and red scarf, a car went past us slowly and a white man shouted out, 'TERRORIST!!' and then threw a plastic ribena bottle at us, i just quickly volleyed the bottle back at the car and ran
lol
wasalam

MetSudaisTwice
11-22-2005, 04:09 PM
salam
i only fear allah, so why should i fear a couple of white kuffars?
wasalam

Halima
11-22-2005, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
salaam
uh...uv confused me. hijaab as in...?
wassalam

I thought it would be better if I have explained to you what the hijab sister charisma was talking about before it would hinder any future misinterpretations. The hijab that we are talking about is the covering rather a thick material covering the women's hair. Of course, there are many different names for the covering they varie throughout the material. There's burkas, niquabis , but mainly the hijab is very common and popular amongst the muslim hence it is indeed the trend of today. Just incase if you don't know the niquab covers the eyes, however the hijab mainly covers the hair. The burka covers the whole entire body andthere is only a limited amount of color to them. Most popular colors are either black or brown.

~Raindrop~
11-22-2005, 04:14 PM
salam
wasalam
:sl: exactly bro.:sl:

habib
11-22-2005, 04:18 PM
salam
wasalam
absolutely right

Z
11-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Peace.

The non Muslims I know don't have a problem with the beard. You get the few clean it up remarks from the females who don't actually mind it, but want it neat and tidy. Like their 'brow's I suppose.

I think beards are 'sexy' things for males. It all depends on how the onlooker views it. If they can accept the beard as a natural thing for men, then it won't bother them at all.

Once again, just imagine the Lion without it's mane.

TEH
11-22-2005, 10:08 PM
You get a tiger, and tigers are Bengali, so...

IS THAT WHY BENGALIS HAVE NO BEARDS???

:omg:

sapphire
11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
well...i have been called a ninja many times when i go to other places...but the area i live it is jam packed with people who wear the niqaab as well..so i think the kuffar are used to it...

Zuko
11-22-2005, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NativeDeen3

-this little kid says to me, 'i know ur wearing that because ur bald'. :mmokay: . again, i laughed :giggle:

sometimes other ppl have asked, but generally i dont get too many questions.
;D ;D ;D ;D LOL, cute... But I don't get any comments from strangers, just family... :-\ :raging:

format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Peace.

Once again, just imagine the Lion without it's mane.
I wish my dad had a beard... :-\

baby_muslimah15
11-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Well I dont wear the niqaab....I only wear the Jilbab and Hijab But I've been stared at like all the time(sumtimes the stares get 2 me) But I just hold my head high, cuz I know I'm doing it 4 my lord alone......But my Ummie is a niqqabi so shes been called a ninja and other things....Actually this one lil boy was like Hi ninja.....And other times its worse then that(The worse experience was when) Me and my moms friend and her kids where at the store and this man was telling his daughter to get away from the Terriost(so ma mom was like what) And it got kinda crazy, but I'm use to it....Far as the beard my dad has a beard and he never once got a comment or a stare...Actually some gurls tried 2 talk 2 my dad...Well salaamz

Bint-Al-Islam
11-23-2005, 12:07 AM
As-salam alekum wr wb.
Alhamdulillah i wear hijab but i am trying my best starting to wear Jilbab InshaAllah..
This story take place in USA..
I used to be in elementary but did not wear hijab so every1 treated me nice way and they were friendly..

I got some comments frm wat ppl saying abt me and friends when we were in Middile School..
I was in middle skool and my best friend is the only one who wears niqaab and me and our other friend with hijab.. so some of the boys came up to me and asked me why do does she wear that and u dont wear it? why do u guys wear thoes material on ur head? Can we pull it? Do u have hair? when do u take it out? who do u show ur hair to? What color is ur hair? How long is it? Its hot today and why do u wear?? U gonna die in the summer cuz of the weather.. They keep on asking u the same Questions over and over.. When we answer their Questions Why we wear it.. then they try to bother us more.. Can i see it for a sec.. how abt just one of ur hair.. SubhanaAllah they do this all the time.. Then we just ignore them...Or we tell them u come near us We will Report u guys. then they Stop.. After 9/11 we went back to skool the students who bothered us came to us again and say Why did ur muslims ppl did this? Are all muslims bad like that? SubhanaAllah.. we were "NO" we explain to them.. but later Alhamdulillah everything went fine.. so the boys started to treat us respectful and kindly Alhamdulillah..

When i was in High school there was only me and other sister 2 sisters with hijab.. But dont ask us anything and there was only 9 Muslims out of 1,894 students.. Alhamdulillah we did not have any problems at all.. Every1 is nice and friendly..
(( Finally This is my last year in high School Alhamdulillah)) Now Alhamdulillah we have More Muslims then before.. :)

Sry if i wrote a lot :)

Walekum-salam wr wb

*charisma*
11-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

yea subhanallah people are always curious, but better to tell them the right reason than for someone else to tell them a wrong accusation.
May Allah guide them ameen.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Z
11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Peace.

It's really good to hear there are young Muslims out there who are not neglecting the dress code for Muslims.

A good thing to remember is ... today they can be the ones to laugh at you, but atleast tomorrow you won't be the one to cry.

Ameeratul Layl
11-23-2005, 03:36 PM

When I used to wear niqab. I remember one HOT summers day. Was making my way to the library to do sum research.
A gang of boys went passed me...didn say anything UNTIL....they were on right at the end of the road. I heard:

oi u...iraqi ***

I turned around and sed....

Y dont u cum here and say it. (believe me, id have ran it a mile if they came.lol.)

The just laughed and walked off.

Got home and saw a choc cake rubbed on the front window of the house.
Mom came out and sed...well, basically: 'arggghhhhghghghg.'

I was about to grab a chunk of it and bite into it until mom slapped my hand and shuved me inside.lol.

Allah ma3akum

Protected_Diamond
11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakthu

I wear a burka and a niqqab and you get all sorts of random comments such as you ninja which is the most common one lol, and quite funny too because the non-muslims feel as though they making you upset or hate your religion but it has the totally opposite effect on us masha Allah, if anything it makes us strong with our deen Alhamdulilah!

It's all down to ignorance, if they don't know what islam teaches us or if they don't understand it they feel as though they should accuse us of all sorts e.g sucide bomber lol...crazy talk init? like a few weeks back i was lisning to some nasheeds on my mp3-player and peeps got scared thinking i had a bomb with me because of the headfones attached to it..lol...oh well the prophet s.w.a did warn us that islam came as something strange and it will go back as something strange so is all good! :loving:

:w: warhmatulahi wabarakthu

MetSudaisTwice
11-23-2005, 03:46 PM
salam
my reply to most of them kuffars would be
'listen up i ain't scared of you, if you lot are man enough then why don't you come into our masjid? then lets see who is cursing who!!'
wasalam

Z
11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Peace.

You guys are silly. Seriously. Why 'kuffars'? Why 'hey hey hey I'm not scared of you'? Why all this nonsense? I believe Islam doesn't teach us this.

I assume you guys are the ones who just keep quiet when something like this occurs, but only think out role plays in your mind of what you would've done.

Ameeratul Layl
11-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Peace.

You guys are silly. Seriously. Why 'kuffars'? Why 'hey hey hey I'm not scared of you'? Why all this nonsense? I believe Islam doesn't teach us this.

I assume you guys are the ones who just keep quiet when something like this occurs, but only think out role plays in your mind of what you would've done.

bcuz doing harm...no wait...how does it go....doing harm upon harm doesnt give u peace. It makes things worse. If ppl want to make themselves look sill by shouting rediculous things and say them....then they are....the...losers.

Its gud to keep shut at times.

Like my nanny says: Let the dogs bark. When thyve had enuf....they shut up!Good one ay.

Allah ma3ak

~Raindrop~
11-23-2005, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl

Like my nanny says: Let the dogs bark. When thyve had enuf....they shut up!Good one ay.

Allah ma3ak
yeah.
wassalam

Z
11-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Peace.

Yeah, I agree with your nanny. But -----es don't ever shut up.

Ameeratul Layl
11-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Peace.

Yeah, I agree with your nanny. But -----es don't ever shut up.

lol. i can interpret that in 2 ways. Wat did u mean bro?

Allah ma3ak

h1jabi_sista
11-23-2005, 04:10 PM
as salam alikum,

i dont agree with that comment, in both its interpretations!!!!!

Muslimah81
11-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I was once called 'the ginger bread man' because of my beige scarf and abiya. where they got the 'man' bit from I dont know :confused:

TEH
11-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I was walking today, and a few younger boys one of them shouts out to the other, 'but yesterday you said that all Muslims blow themselves up...'

And then he saw me, and I smiled, and carried on walking, next second, all three of them run off as if they have commited some deep crime towards me...

Sigh..

I think it's time to do another assembly...

:)

Muezzin
11-23-2005, 08:33 PM
You're a better man than I,TEH. I would have kicked their little buttocks.

TEH
11-23-2005, 08:34 PM
You only use violence, when violence is used upon you...

Muezzin
11-23-2005, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
You only use violence, when violence is used upon you...

Very true.

Tell that to Bin Laden! :p

I am kidding, brothers and sisters, no need to jump on me and call me an America-lover/Osama-hater/Freedom Fry.

Sahabiyaat
11-23-2005, 09:05 PM
y u lil
....:mad:
America-lover/Osama-hater/Freedom Fry.

i started wearing the jilbaab some time ago
well i was walking back from collge past my neighbours house and she was outside
she looks me up and down in a very slow motion dramatic way and says soooooooo...wen did ur father make u start wearing that
since shes 40 odd yrs older than me i replied as politely as i cud
i told her i wore it of my own choice and that my father has no need whatsoever to force me into wearing it
she simply sed uh huh.......
*sigh*

afriend2
11-24-2005, 05:55 PM

hey im bengali and most of my relatives have beards!

nafy
11-24-2005, 06:12 PM
salaamz

'shes got dat rag on 2 hide her nits'

no matter how angry dat made me.......i found it kinda funny.......lol da jokaz...
ah well.....
at da end of da day.....wat dey say or think duznt matta....
it onli matterz wat Allah swt thinks.....
i pray dat we all are strong in faith.......n dont let n e 1 put us down wid stupid comments dat wont matta 4 us at all on da day of judgement...
may Allah protect and guide us all....ameen
take care
w/salaamz

mehnaz
11-24-2005, 06:26 PM
salaam,
every time my non muslim frends see me in my scarf and abaya...they go like...oh God take that off u're looking like a terrorist...just shows how successful the western media has been in imprinting in the minds of people that "hijaab=terrorist"...and the other comment which i get usually in summers is....dont u guys feel hot in that thing???..LOL
FiAmanillah

Salema
11-24-2005, 06:29 PM
welll..i dont wear niqab nor jilabab..but i wear hijab..

so..here in panama probably all the year is summer..only that sometimes it rains..when we are at shopping or something like that..peoples start saying r u cold..?:rant:

Arghhh..but i feel proud of my hijab..n my mom n sisters wears the niqab too..so they start saying more things..n my father doesn't have a beard soo..he don't get any negative comments..

i'm 16..n i too want to start using jilbab n niqab..plz make duaa..4 me..!

:loving:

ola
11-24-2005, 07:19 PM
slmz ppl
wassup
gd topic btw
im 13 and i wear hijab and abaya and sometimes i jst wear skirts and tops and a hijab
my mum wears niqab and i wanna but im too young
ive had lots of comments: BALDY
once my mum and me were in da car(my mum drives)and those guyz honked to us and did da middle finger!
my dad was called osama bin laden:rant:
coz of his beard
oh well
allah protects us
slmz
ola:loving:
xx

TEH
11-24-2005, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
hey im bengali and most of my relatives have beards!
Woops.. :D

Anyway, I remember we were driving once, and this just came up in front of us, the black dude in the car just gives me the dirtiest looks and shouts...

BOMBARASCLAT TALIBAN...

I almost died of laughter...

Sahabiyaat
11-26-2005, 08:06 PM
what the heck is BOMBARASCLAT :-\

Protected_Diamond
11-26-2005, 08:46 PM

It's very intresting as to how we all deal with these nasty remarks, all ma friends seem to think it's all right to be on thier level and swear..etc and they totally disagree with me when i say approach them peacefully and be kind to them like the prophet s.a.w, because then they would be shocked and even probably admire you insha Allah. Allah s.w.a knows best!

Safa
11-26-2005, 08:54 PM

LOL, I hope your not serious because well.... some actually do :happy:

Anyway, I usually get strange looks from people but no one ever said anything rude to me Alhamdulillah. People ask me questions though and strange ones too but I take the time to explain to them the reason for wearing the hijab.

However, one time when I was in school, the security people made the students take the metal detector test (to search for cell phones, weapons?? and what not) . A lady started to wave some sort of stick or something (like they do in airport security checks) from the bottom to the top of my head and the sound started going off.

She then said, "What's underneath your scarf?!! Take it off now! (all my classmates were staring at me).

I was out of words and obviously shocked and said,"I'm wearing metal hairclips, you seriously want me to take it off?"

But noooo she had to look at them so she took me aside and I lifted up my scarf up a bit from the front and showed them to her.

What's ironic is that when I went back to class, my teacher started to talk about all his precious gun collections.

Oh the memories...

UmmKhadi
11-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Salaam aleikum

Oh I had everything from "Are you a nun" to "Bad hairday"-comments.

But one was not insulting or anything, just hillarious...

I am on a Norwegian forum for mothers, to discuss the joys of motherhood, but also current events and all sorts of things. And its not a secret in the forum that I am a muslimah, everyone knows that. So... Sometimes, we meet up, like go to a cafe or park to eat or something. And so we did this day in the summer. It was hot, very hot, sunshine, and I was in my niqaab and jillaba. Not all black though, but still... Sitting there, eating and talking.

Later, when we came home, there was this discussion on the forum, about muslims and islam and Turkey and so on. And I made my comments.

Then one girl sendt me a "reputation point" saying "Oh, you know so much about islam and muslims, did you study it, or are you a muslim"

Funn thing here is, SHE WAS IN THE PARK FOR TWO HOURS WITH ME!

As we say in my language (roughly translated), she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Or the fastest camel in the race...

baby_muslimah15
11-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Hmmm....Lately I havent been getting any comments just the stares, but I'm use to that by now......I havent really seen any bangli but the ones I have seen have no beards...Maybe cuz dey be in America....No offense to any banglis on here, really sorry if I offended you.....Hollaz

UmmKhadi
11-26-2005, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Proud ukht

It's very intresting as to how we all deal with these nasty remarks, all ma friends seem to think it's all right to be on thier level and swear..etc and they totally disagree with me when i say approach them peacefully and be kind to them like the prophet s.a.w, because then they would be shocked and even probably admire you insha Allah. Allah s.w.a knows best!

Thats very true.

I was once cursed and yelled at by a British dude sitting in town here. And my Norwegian, nonmuslim friends were so surprised how i just calmly replied to him. He went on, like "Norway is a free country, you can take of your f* hijab here". I just said "You contradict yourself, dear, if Norway is a free country, it means, I am free to wear what I want". He went on, saying "there is nothing in the Quran about wearing hijab bla bla, take it off, or I do it for you". Then I became scared, and defensive, and leveled to his level, and said to him, "Norway is my homeland, so get home to your land, you freaking limie..."

afriend2
01-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Woops.. :D

Anyway, I remember we were driving once, and this just came up in front of us, the black dude in the car just gives me the dirtiest looks and shouts...

BOMBARASCLAT TALIBAN...

I almost died of laughter...

i'll count it as an accident and not something to be taken seriously.:peace:

and whats bombarasclat....:confused:

also you guys get ok comments like baldy and stuff, when me and my mum were outside shopping we got called "scum" and some other things. it didnt make me scared or anything but i dont like my mum being in places where its dangerous and hazardous to her. :-\

afriend2
01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by baby_muslimah15
Hmmm....Lately I havent been getting any comments just the stares, but I'm use to that by now......I havent really seen any bangli but the ones I have seen have no beards...Maybe cuz dey be in America....No offense to any banglis on here, really sorry if I offended you.....Hollaz

i have loads of relatives in america and about 80% of them have beards whilst the others are either too young or some dont like it, may Allah have mercy on them and give them hidayat. and youre right that SOME bengalis dont have beards but that could be said about everyone whether they are chinese, indian, arab or whatever.

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh my some of you get a rough deal :enough!: I get the odd ninja comment, but would you believe it, it's from the pakis not anyone else. I don't mind still they are just too silly to realise that the joke is like sooo last year lol. I just wish I had the martial arts expertise to go with the image ;) ;D

But since I started wearing hijaab, I've had some awesome experiences that even I find hard to believe. I get treated better by all peeps, muslim & non muslims and once I was driving late to pick up my ex-hubby from another town. It was near midnight when I stopped for some petrol. There were a bunch of teenagers shouting and swearing at the petrol station attendant. The poor guy looked so harassed that I felt so angry inside. I could never believe what happened next. One of the kids saw me standing silently behind them and elbowed another one. One by one they turned around until all fell silent. I remained silent until one motioned to the others to move out of my way and let me get to the serving hatch. As they moved away, the one who'd seen me first apologised and said "We were only kidding." I was likeeee OMGGGGGGGGGGG what the heck was that about?????? So much respect and they weren't even muslims!!!!!! SubhanAllah amazing.

Then after I started wearing niqaab, a gora (white guy) asked me politely why I wear 'that'? I told him it was recommended in my religion and reserves me for only my husbands eyes. I said "Look, you know how guys go out with their girlfriends tarted up and then get jealous or into fights cuz another man was eyeing up their g/f.. well by covering up, I am avoiding scenarios like that." Lol, well I didnt know any hadiths so had to give some good reason to him. I said think about it, how good my husband must feel knowing that only he is allowed to look at me. He was really impressed and said that this was really good. I swear I could almost hear the guy wishing his girlfriend would ditch her minis. And I swear for a second I felt that something had touched his heart about Islam.

Mind you a few months back when the weather got cold but we still had sunshine I'd go out dressed in all black with my long leather coat over my abaya, dark glasses, leather ankle boots, I did look like something of a terrorist, especially when the mobile phone ear-piece wires are hanging out here and there loooool. :embarrass

Then you get the other kind who simply think a woman looks gorgeous, when all you can see is her kajal lined eyes peeping from nikaab. I noticed this attracts unwanted attention. Once I was leaving a shop and a black bro was about to come in. We nearly collided, I apologised, he just looked at me and with a big grin on his face said "Wickeddddddd.... nice eyes." ullu ka patha!! It makes you think you ought to start covering your eyes up too! Maybe wear a motorbike helmet :mad:

soweee abt the long post :giggling: :-[

afriend2
01-01-2006, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nadia Waheed

Then you get the other kind who simply think a woman looks gorgeous, when all you can see is her kajal lined eyes peeping from nikaab. I noticed this attracts unwanted attention. Once I was leaving a shop and a black bro was about to come in. We nearly collided, I apologised, he just looked at me and with a big grin on his face said "Wickeddddddd.... nice eyes." ullu ka patha!! It makes you think you ought to start covering your eyes up too! Maybe wear a motorbike helmet :mad:

soweee abt the long post :giggling: :-[

yeah the eyes are a bit of a problem, but in the shops they have like a black netting where it actually covers the eyes so that no one can see them although you can see where youre going and everything. but Alhamdulillah it helps although you dont have to wear the eye cover. :peace:

Z
01-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Salaam.

Whether they're wearing a Niqaab/Hijaab, are women even supposed to be wearing make-up when they go out? That would include whatever method they use to beautify their eyes.

afriend2
01-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brother,

yeah modesty and makeup dont really mix. especially when a person is wearing just a hijab and has a face full of makeup because that wont stop a person from being attracted to you. i dont think wearing makeup is good at all outside as it leads to unwanted attention.

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 04:40 PM
As far as I know applying surma in the eyes is sunnah for its beneficial qualities. I've been wearing it since I was old enough to hold a pencil, would feel naked without it *sighs* And my face is covered, except my eyes.

As for beautifying oneself, I think the same could be said for the fancy jilbabs, scarves and abayas sisters wear. They are so pretty that, even though the sister is covered up, she still gets attention. It is easier to ignore someone in plain jeans and a dark top than a sister in a eye-catching abaya.

Does anyone have a hadith on wearing kajol?

Z
01-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Salaam.

Course it's Sunnah. In the home to wear it would be fine. But when going out, it's just like applying some make-up. Make-up is fine too, so long it's within the household where only the males allowed to see you can appreciate it.

And you're right. Everything has become fancy now. Very commercial. It's a sad thing. The real Hijab isn't a 'thing', it's a term.

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
ok JazakAllah bro. I will have to get one of the netted nikaabs, cuz no way Im giving up my eye liner lol

Nawal89
01-01-2006, 08:38 PM
My friend told me that one time she was walking down the road, (she wears the big somali hijab) And these guys stopped the car adn yelled " I didnt say you could steal my bed sheets!" lolol.

As for me i wear niqab. One time when i was at Malaysia, at the market doing my shopping, i turn a corner and there's a bunch of boys..you know all wearing caps and smoking but are muslims, So when they see me they go "inna lillah wa inna ilaihi raji'un" and pretend to die from heart attack. loool.

Plenty other silly things too. :D:D

Mujahideen
01-01-2006, 09:51 PM
ASW.
People asked questions lyk ' do you go to sleep in that thing around your head?' i woz thinkin yeh course i do

Snowflake
01-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Shouldve said yeah I was born with it lol ;D (Maybe it's maybelline) lolol

Takumi
01-02-2006, 12:33 AM
I wore a thawb and an Imamah (I used to belong to a sufi group, I looked like Kabbani, seriously) while I was in college. My parents liked it. In the whole college of 8,000 people, there were only 4 of us who wore such attire. So, we were hard to miss.

People gave me weird looks but most respected me and highly regarded me as a religious person. When I approached them, they stopped smoking and some even kissed my hands (little children and). I had to stop wearing it because of my profession. I missed it actually.

In fact, when I had an interview for a scholarship (full scholarship for my graduate degree) I wore that, in spite of advice from friends. My dean of the college (a non muslim) defended me, lobbied for me to the interview committee and I won the scholarship, by the Mercy of Allah. He told me I was academically capable and he liked the way that I carried myself, masha Allah.

That was one of the nicest experience that I had in my life.

afriend2
01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
just remembered another one.....,
when i was on the bus with my cousin, we were just normally chatting when this lady looked surprised at us and then says.."you speak english?" :eek: :uuh:

my cousin then turns around and says.."no im speaking baby language. what do you think?" we were laughing so much, the lady was starting to edge away!:okay:

Umm Safiya
01-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Ppl say BUH to me, 'cause they say I look like a ghost.. :P
They say that muslim women look so angry/sad/annoyed when they go out, but what do they expect? If ppl would just keep quiet and keep their comments to themselves, then I think they wouldn't look so angry..

afriend2
01-02-2006, 02:58 PM
aw sister, go out there and show that you're not depressed or even opressed! they want us to look that way, but this was a lesson that i learnt from my cousin...she goes out there and talks to the women and gives dawah. she shows them she is happy and she walks with such honour it really shows that she is content and pleased wth Allah's command.

Umm Safiya
01-05-2006, 08:58 PM

Oh I don't look depressed when I'm out, or atleast I don't think so.. :? I usually just smile at everyone.. Not men of course! :D

Today, I was on the way to to a shop, and I was just minding my own business, then this dude walk towards me, and he had his hood all in his face, so he looked really dark! Well, I looked up, and quickly looked away again, and I thought it was as somali-man.. Then when he walked past me, he said: 'Dirty h**', and I was like: 'What the h***???' But it was a danish man..
But usually, I don't even here ppl's comments or see how they look at me, 'cause I don't look at them.. Unless it's a woman.. Then sometimes I try to get eye-contact, and then smile.. & they smile back, most of the time!

I actually had a really nice conversation with a christian woman in the train the other day.. I was reading the book: Stories of the Prophets, and she asked me: 'Do you read that because of school or just for fun?' I read it because I like to read, and because I like learning new things and the prophets really interest me.. Well we talked for a really long time until she had to get off the train.. I hope I'll meet her again, inshâ'Allâh.. She was really sweet.. May Allâh guide her and all of us, ameen..

sumay28
01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Nothing yet. One time a non-muslim man came up to me and asked me if I wanted him to be my husband.. I need a niqab, man.

sis_fisabil'Allah
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
:sl: :brother: & :sister:

i aint had no physical abuse bt ive had quite a bit of verball... i dnt no if its jst me bt 4 sum reason wen the kufars coment on my islamic dressing it only boosts my confidence, i dunno may b its jst me :?

The disbelivers will never b happy until u r 1 of dem or they are 1 of u (mumin/ muslim)!

Tasneem
01-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I wrote a paper and posted up in the masjid

It was talking about how i love islam and wearing the burka

The title was,''THIS IS WHO I AM...

people was like mashallah,that was very good

And stuff like that

When people meet me and they ask me how old i am and how old i was when i started to wear the burka they are like,''mashallah!Sister your're sooo young

I make sure they say MashAllah laa wa qala laa wa qwatta ida billah after complementing me

You're suppose to anyway so you wont do the evil eye

I remember i was in the laundry with my sister and this guy walked up to me and said:HEY BABY!!!

i WAS like hold up i know you ddi not just come in my ear and say hey baby

Some girls get all happy when guys do that to them but i get mad
And embarrased

A stranger (Who is a guy)has no right whatsoever coming in my face
and saying something like Hey baby

That is annoying and i hate it

SaLaMz

afriend
01-05-2006, 11:03 PM
i know this si not good enuf but......I wear a topi (the muslim cap) wherever i go........And i never get any looks.......never have I heard any1 commenting on me..........Actually when I'm walkin on the streets people are like afraid of me, they move out of the street and onto the road......Like as though I'm going to bite them.........They think i don't like that....I LOVE IT!!!! LOL

sis_fisabil'Allah
01-05-2006, 11:19 PM

I wz wonderin weather its "ok" 4 sista 2 wear niqab only 4 specific occasions for example on Salat Al Jumah/ friday prayer, this is because in my local masjids the :brother: tend 2 spread every wer inside nd outside da masjid (as im aware many of u may no wat i mean), personally i feel very uncompfortable in this case! sisters feel free to give ur veiws Insh'allah

Tasneem
01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by k.dinee

I wz wonderin weather its "ok" 4 sista 2 wear niqab only 4 specific occasions for example on Salat Al Jumah/ friday prayer, this is because in my local masjids the :brother: tend 2 spread every wer inside nd outside da masjid (as im aware many of u may no wat i mean), personally i feel very uncompfortable in this case! sisters feel free to give ur veiws Insh'allah

No,Woman must wear the niqab all the time

When we go to the mall there is alot of guys

When we go to the supermarket there is alot of guys

Anywhere you go there will be guys

Your reason on wanting to wear it at jummah is the reason Allah has

commanded woman to cover from head to toe

We cant just half step

We have to do it all the way

And Allah subaana wa ta'la knows best

SaLaMz:sister:

sis_fisabil'Allah
01-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Jazk'Allahu'khair sis Jihad spun, i understand wat u mean, it does seem completley understanding, sis in ur answer did u say it wz compulsory 4 sis 2 wear niqabs? if nt i misunderstood :? swii!

Tasneem
01-05-2006, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by k.dinee
Jazk'Allahu'khair sis Jihad spun, i understand wat u mean, it does seem completley understanding, sis in ur answer did u say it wz compulsory 4 sis 2 wear niqabs? if nt i misunderstood :? swii!

Yes,Its obligatory for the muslim Woman to wear the niqab

Some woman just wear the khimar

But we are suppose to wear the niqab

This is what Allah has Commanded the believing woman to do

afriend
01-06-2006, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jihad_spun

Yes but then there are many ahadeeth which i shall get soon inshallah, that say that wearing a niqaab is Mustahaab, not Fardh, not Sunnah as the prophet (SAW) did not do it. Mustahaab meaning optional

sis_fisabil'Allah
01-06-2006, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jihad_spun

by any chance sis cud u give me some Dalil on that plz Jazak'allahu'kahir

Sanobar
01-08-2006, 02:57 PM
salam!

i'm late..! ;)

welli dont really get lost of comments on my hijab and eveyhting...coz most of the people where i live wear it....but yes i do gt a lot of questions 4rm my non muslim frnds! and i feel proud to share ...and talk abt it! :)

ma'salamah

afriend2
01-08-2006, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sanobar
salam!

i'm late..! ;)

welli dont really get lost of comments on my hijab and eveyhting...coz most of the people where i live wear it....but yes i do gt a lot of questions 4rm my non muslim frnds! and i feel proud to share ...and talk abt it! :)

ma'salamah
salaam,

alhamdulillah sister, its really good that you are sharing the reasons and letting people in on why we are covered. and inshAllah you will be rewarded for this dawah. :)

its good to aslo see that you dont get strange comments, although it does make me laugh when someone says something like "are you bald?" lol ;D

wassalam:peace:

afriend2
01-08-2006, 03:05 PM
salaam,

and answering with sister Jihad Spun, i hate it when people do that to muslim girls. especially in places like london where some muslims boys eve do it. it really disgusts me.

afriend2
01-08-2006, 03:05 PM
salaam,

brother Fozley, my brothers and cousins also love it when people move out of their way. because then they can walk in so much space! ;D

afriend2
01-08-2006, 03:07 PM
salaam,

and yeah i think it is best to wear the niqaab as i have already said because the face is probably the most attractive part of the body and so some people tend to look at it unfortunately, even when a girl is wearing a hijaab.

Sanobar
01-08-2006, 03:13 PM
wooopsssssss.......... sis nazia hwo many times did u say submit reply...??:lol:

i knw sis it is good that i dotn get strange comments ...i guess there was just one that i got ..and it was like are u 4rm al qaeda????? me and my frnds just cudnt stop laughing...! :lol:

Ammen to the duas sis! :wub:

afriend2
01-08-2006, 03:16 PM
salaam,
yeah i know sis! me going crazy because my comp keeps on freezing!!!:(:rant:

lol, my arabic teacher loves it when people calls him a member of the taliban! he always tells us that he looks at the person accusing him and then laughs like a crazy person to scare them away! lol ;D

afriend2
01-08-2006, 03:17 PM
and Ameen to all the du'as!

khadijah06
01-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I dont really get the funny comments anymore its mostly the stares.

When people did comment they used to say stuff like "ninja" and make the noise, or they used to say stuff like "oh its halloween". In the beginning it used to really get to me. I used to get so angry, but now i just think alhamdulillah!

When i just started to wear my niqab i felt so self concious:rollseyes but now i dont care. Sometimes when im in an area where i am the only person wearing niqab or hijab i feel quite blessed because out of everyone that i can see, i know that alhamdulillah i am on the straight path! My husband hates the stares though (he has a big beard mashaallah :brother: ). It really does take him alot to not go and knock someone out!!

sapphire
01-08-2006, 05:37 PM
i was just walking past and some builders said morning ladies to me and my sister and started acting all silly.....and then these other people(men) said lovely eyes.........

Nawal89
01-09-2006, 03:10 PM
^lool.
Another funny things that happen to me and my sister, is when they try to be nice, and say "well look at those pretty girls!" lool, they cant even see us. It makes me laugh.

Muezzin
01-13-2006, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^lool.
Another funny things that happen to me and my sister, is when they try to be nice, and say "well look at those pretty girls!" lool, they cant even see us. It makes me laugh.
I think they're mocking you. :heated:

salman128
01-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I had a beard for a while at work, no one really asked why, but I took it off before it grew too l ong, because it was starting to itch

hissa
01-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Salam,
My sister was once asked if she had ears under there (the hijab). Really silly, but it was a little kid, so that's ok.

afriend2
01-22-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hissa
Salam,
My sister was once asked if she had ears under there (the hijab). Really silly, but it was a little kid, so that's ok.

salaam,

very strange sister :? lol

erm there was this one story when me and my cousin were going to the park (i was about 9 at the time) and this kid came up to my cousin and asked if she was a nun! ;D

wassalam

shariq_0189
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
i started to wear toppe to school...likee few monthss backk ...soo ppl and my non muslim frend did ask alot of questions. some guy said u wear tht cuz u dont want to comb ur hair in the morning...im likeee YEHH how did u knw..LOL...(sarcasm..always works). some guy is like ewww are u a jeww...lol.
and once it was jumaa...so i was wearing my black thope and blak and white scarf around my neck...i also had surma on tht day....i was down the street some lady as she got near me ...she started to walk away from mee and starin as though i was going to kill her...i juss crossed the street so she doesnt feel scaredd..lol.

Tasneem
01-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Well i just got some recent comments lol

My friend said,You are sooo pretty Mashallah

I was in the bathroom and i just got finished making Wudu and

I was putting om my niqqab and Abbaya and a sister came in i was like

SaLaMz Ukhti she said MashAllah you look very nice in your niqqab

I was like well MashAllah-And you in your sis.

Last week we were at the masjid it was like after Magr.and
We were standing outside and this little girl was walking by
And she said can they see?This sis.turned around and said yes honey,yes they can see fine

And the same sis.asked us our age after we told her she was like,''MashAllah many sisters your age dont like wearing the Niqqab
Just keep your intentions pure inshallah.May Allah bless you guys(me and tabtabun)Aameen.

MashAllah she is nice...Lol,my bro. has a lil.Kid Crush on her
But inshallah its nothing major*(anymore)

I hate when ppl.comment me and dont say MashAllah

No wonder i wake(sometimes)Looking like a goldfish*Cries*Cries*

SaLaMz

*charisma*
12-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Assalamu alaikum

A few months ago, I took my cousin to buy some supplies for her project. As we were standing in the line to get checked out, these two elderly women were behind me talking. They were kind of funny so I smiled towards them and they smiled back.

After a minute or so, the elder one walked up to me. I had my arms crossed and she proceeded to stick what seemed to be a greeting card into my arms going "May I give you something that my husband wrote??" I thought it was just going to be some kind of kind gesture from her or something, plus since she was being persistent and I didn't want to seem mean or anything so I said "Sure :D"...

It turned out to be a pamphlet with the title "Do you know Jesus Christ?" lol.

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Ummu Sufyaan
12-18-2009, 07:13 AM
It turned out to be a pamphlet with the title "Do you know Jesus Christ?" lol.
i hate how they literally shove their pamphlets and stuff in your face (even if you politely refuse) with this persistent smile and dont give up until you take it :exhausted

but personally, i would have used it to my advantage (i.e dawah) and said something like "yep, i know he is the son of Mary," and basically just everything that we believe in but in a way that wouldn't come across as offensive to them or think i was having a go at them :p :D

Caller الداعي
12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
oh ye in makkah i was called Usama taliban !!!!!!!!!! lol

tango92
12-18-2009, 09:08 AM
man even muslim brothers call me extremist and taliban, it think because i read nawafil salaah sometimes

oh yh, a few weeks ago, me and the boys were heading to jummah and some blonde middle aged lady drives past shouting merry f******* christmas, alhamdulliah we took this oppurtunity to wish her peace and a happy holiday.

Ali_008
12-18-2009, 09:31 AM
"Dude, get it cut" and "Son, cut that beard"

These are the most common which I get. Sometimes, I also get "MashAllah, son, may Allah guide you". :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.