/* */

PDA

View Full Version : changing ur name

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 12:56 PM
:sl: dear brothers and sisters,
I had a little thought cum to my head the other day. Its just....i never seem to know the answers to hardly any of them.lol.

I was wondering:

1)Can I change my first AND second name if I wish to (in accordance to Shariah)?
2) When I get married (thats a BIIIIIIG...if), can I change my surname or not?

Allah ma3akum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 01:04 PM
salaams. i dont think sharia bans us from changing our name. coz i changed mine a while back and i wasnt told its wrong. (my life revolves around pious ppl/scholars) although on the Day of Judgement, we will be called out by our fathers name. Allah knows best. wassalam

baby_muslimah15
11-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Salaamz, Hmm...I think you can change yo name, If i'm not mistaken its only da first name 4 the femalez...Cuz we automatically have our fathers last name...But why would u wanna change yo name(its beautiful) But in ma case I have my mothers last name. So i'm changing it to ma fathers last name...But yea dont think the sharia bands its.....Just wondering what would u wanna change yo name too????

P.S I know when your muslim the female doesnt get married and change her name to her husbands...Now that I was told

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
:sl: i think the female dosnt HAVE to change her surname when she gets married. im sure i read it somewhere. must dig that book out from my library...:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
:sl: i think the female dosnt HAVE to change her surname when she gets married. im sure i read it somewhere. must dig that book out from my library...:w:

:sl:
I want to change it.....:-\

Allah ma3ik
p.s: jazakAllah for ur help though.:loving:

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by baby_muslimah15
Salaamz, Hmm...I think you can change yo name, If i'm not mistaken its only da first name 4 the femalez...Cuz we automatically have our fathers last name...But why would u wanna change yo name(its beautiful) But in ma case I have my mothers last name. So i'm changing it to ma fathers last name...But yea dont think the sharia bands its.....Just wondering what would u wanna change yo name too????

P.S I know when your muslim the female doesnt get married and change her name to her husbands...Now that I was told

Why? cuz, I cant stand it. But, we wont go into that.

Allah ma3ik
p.s: JzakAllah for ur help so far.:loving:

~Raindrop~
11-21-2005, 01:22 PM
salaams. haaaang on in there girl. i didnt say you CANT change it, just that you didnt have to. theres no reason to stop you. Allah knows best. wassalam.

MetSudaisTwice
11-21-2005, 02:03 PM
salam
i also heard that once you are married the wife does not have to change thier surname
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
i also heard that once you are married the wife does not have to change thier surname
wasalam

Well, I want to. So, Im finding any excuse to do so.:playing:

Allah ma3ak

MetSudaisTwice
11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
salam
i know there is some place you can go, not sure what the name is something about deed i think
you can go and change your surname there
wasalam

Rabi'ya
11-21-2005, 10:15 PM
When I accepted Islam I changed my name by deed poll. You just go to a solicitors with your passport or birth cert. It cost me £40. They change it there and then for you.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

1m@@n
11-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Asalamoalaikum wr wb

Hope you are in the best of health inshaAllah...

Well sis, i changed my name a few months back as my previous forename was not really a recommended one to keep because of its meaning....i changed my name via deeds poll...a very simple procedure...

You can fill in the relevent form online and also make the payment online ...and they will send you a deeds poll via post within a week inshaAllah...which u have to sign in the presence of sum1 (not a family member), and they also have a lil section to fill out (a few of their personal details inc their address and job title...)

umm....then its jus a matter of photocopying ur deedspoll and sending it to ur local tax office, DVLA etc etc...2 change ur name on ur passport ul be required to send the original copy....

im not sure ud be able to change ur surname though...i mean on an islamic level...u inherit ur fathers name therefore surname should remain that?? (until u marry of course)....

anyways....y r u wanting to change ur name??

fi amaan Allah

sis 1maan

1m@@n
11-22-2005, 12:58 AM
PS -

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/

(UK Deed Poll Service)

Ra`eesah
11-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

It is Haram for a wife to change her surname to match her husbands,

Question :

i was just browsing this site and I came across ur answer to the question 2537 which deals with changing surnames of womens.. as u said it is haraam... can u plz gimme a refrence from quran on that or a hadith if possilbe..?
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It seems that what is meant in the question is a woman changing her family name to that of her husband after she gets married. This is haraam and is not allowed in sharee’ah, because it is not permissible for anyone to claim to belong to anyone other than his or her father. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5]. The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed the one who claims to belong to someone other than his father.”

(Reported by Imaam Ahmad and others). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Question :

I have read your responses to the following questions 2537 and 4362 concerning a wife retaining her father's name upon marriage. The Ayaat mentioned from Surah Al-Ahzaab states that adopted sons (and hence daughters?) should not be called as sons of the step-fathers. However, how exactly does this apply to a wife simply changing her name for marriage; as she is not actually claiming to belong to her husband, but just taking his name. If it is a question of lineage, I would appreciate specific references from the Qur'an and hadith.
Thank you for your help and clarification.
Jazak'Allah Khayr.
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The effects of imitating the west in naming ourselves are many. One of them is the way in which people have got used to omitting the word ‘ibn’ (son of) or ‘ibnatu’ (daughter of) between their own names and the name of their fathers. The reason for this is, firstly, because some families have adopted children and given them their surname, so that the adopted child is called Foolaan Foolan [where ‘Foolaan (=So and so)’ stands for a name] and their real children are called Foolaan ibn Foolaan (So and so the son of So and so). Now in the fourteenth century AH, people have dropped the word ‘ibn’ or ‘ibnatu’ – which is unacceptable according to linguistics, custom and sharee’ah. May Allaah help us.
Another effect is the habit of women taking their husband’s surnames.
Originally, the woman is So and so the Daughter of So and so, not So and so the wife of So and so! Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].
As it is in this world, so it will also be in the Hereafter, as the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“On the Day of Resurrection, each betrayer will have a banner raised beside him, and it will be said, this is the betrayer of So and so the son of So and so.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5709, and Muslim, 3265).
Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd (may Allaah preserve him) said: This is one of the beauties of sharee’ah, because calling a person by his father’s name is more appropriate for knowing who is who and telling people apart. The father is the protector and maintainer of the child and his mother both inside and outside the home. This is why the father mixes with people in the marketplaces and takes risks by travelling to earn a halaal living and strive for their sakes. So the child is given the name of the father, not of the mother who is hidden away and who is one of those whom Allaah commanded (interpretation of the meaning):
“And stay in your houses…” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]
(Tasmiyat al-Mawlood, 30, 31).
On the basis of the above, there is no blood tie between the husband and wife, so how can she take his surname as if she is part of the same lineage? Moreover, she may get divorced, or her husband may die, and she may marry another man. Will she keep changing her surname every time she marries another man? Furthermore, there are rulings attached to her being named after her father, which have to do with inheritance, spending and who is a mahram, etc. Taking her husband’s surname overlooks all that. The husband is named after his own father, and what does she have to do with the lineage of her husband’s father? This goes against common sense and true facts. The husband has nothing that makes him better than his wife so that she should take his surname, whilst he takes his father’s name.

Hence everyone who has gone against this and taken her husband’s name should put matters right. We ask Allaah to put all the affairs of the Muslims right.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)
furthermore wife taking husbands surname is the tradition of the west, if u take the time out to look into the history of 'surnames', you wouldnt want to take it.

so0x0xsweet
02-17-2006, 01:52 AM
idk about in your religion.. but in AMerica you can change your first and middle name ( i would never want to i love my name) and in the catholic religion we change our last name to the males.. total bull.. imma make him change it to mine or i aint chngin mine

Saifadin_Qutuz
02-17-2006, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by so0x0xsweet
idk about in your religion.. but in AMerica you can change your first and middle name ( i would never want to i love my name) and in the catholic religion we change our last name to the males.. total bull.. imma make him change it to mine or i aint chngin mine
hehe, what a woman..

anway, I never heard that changing ur name would be a problem.. but its from within you, I mean it would be such a shame to change the name my father gave me. And its the name of my grandfather too..

:thankyou:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.