/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some Wise Advice You Should Give to your Children

Protected_Diamond
11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakthu

The issue of raising children is very important, the interest of both parents and children depends on it; the interest of the Ummah (Muslim society) as well as the community's future is directly impacted by our ability to succeed in this. Islam takes great interest in it, and so do the educators, the first of whom is the Messenger Muhammad [Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam / peace be upon him] whom Allah sent as a teacher and guide to parents and children to ensure their happiness in both worlds.

The Quran contains many examples of good character such as the story of Luqman, the wise, who gave his son valuable advice.

Luqman's advice :

1. Luqman had advised his son, and Allah the Exalted disclosed his words: "O my son, do not associate partners with Allah. Verily, Shirk (polytheism) is a grievous sin." (31:13)
Therefore, beware of committing Shirk in worshipping Allah such as supplicating to dead or absent people. The Prophet (SAWS) said: "Du'a (supplication or prayer) is worship."

2. Allah the Exalted says: "And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years, give thanks to Me and to your parents. Unto Me is the final destination." (31:14)

It is clear that Allah the Exalted has connected worshipping Him Alone with kindness to parents due to the seriousness of their rights. The mother suffers during pregnancy, while the father takes it upon himself to earn a living for the family. Because of this it is incumbent upon a Muslim to be grateful to Allah then to his parents.

3. Allah says in the next Ayah (verse): "But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not; but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience. Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do." (31:15)

4. In the next Ayah Allah the Exalted again informed us with the words of Luqman: "O my son, even if it is the weight of a mustard seed deposited inside a rock, or in the heavens, or in the earth, Allah will surely bring it out. Verily, Allah knows all subtleties, All-Aware." (31:16)

Ibn Kathir said: "The offence or the error even if it is as minute as the weight of a mustard seed, Allah will judge it on the Day of Resurrection when He sets (the Scales of justice) so that He requites it be it good or evil."

5. In the next Ayah the advice is continued: "O my son, perform Salat." (Prayer) [Observing it on time with all of its requirements humbly and conscientiously]. (31:17)

6. Another good advice: "And enjoin the good and forbid evil, (gently and without harshness)." (31:17)

7. Luqman further advised his son, as quoted in the Quran: "Bear with patience whatever befalls you. Verily, these are some of the important commandments (ordered by Allah with no exemption)." (31:17)

The believer is enjoined to be patient. The Prophet (SAWS) said: "The believer who consorts with people and endures their harm is better than a believer who does not consort with people nor does he endure their harm."

8. Allah the Exalted continued Luqman's advice in the next Ayah: "And do not turn away from people through pride." (31:18)

When talking to people, or when they talk to you, do not show disrespect to them, or show arrogance, rather face them pleasantly, and smile at them. The Prophet (SAWS) said: "Smiling at your brother is an act of charity in your favor."

9. In the next Ayah, another advice: "Nor walk haughtily on earth, surely, Allah does not love any arrogant boaster,"(who admires himself, and despises others). (31:18)

10. Another general etiquette: "And walk at a moderate pace," (neither quick nor slow). (31:19)

11. Allah the Exalted says: "And lower your voice," (when there is no need for raising the voice. That is why, Allah said "Verily, the harshest of all voices is the braying of the asses." (31:19)

Mujahid, a great scholar, commented on the above Ayah saying: "The most offensive of sounds is that of donkeys. This means, he who raises his voice resembles donkeys; Allah abhors it. If our voice resembles this sound, it requires us to stop talking loudly."

The main points:

1. The legitimacy of exhorting one's own son for his benefit in this world and the community's benefit.

2. Giving Tauhid (Belief in the Oneness of Allah) priority in teaching and warning against Shirk (polytheism) because it constitutes injustice, which nullifies good deeds.

3. The requirement of expressing gratefulness to Allah and to parents, and the children's duty of being kind to parents.

4. The requirement of following the believers' way, and the prohibition of following those astray.

5. Awareness of Allah in public and private, and warning against taking lightly good deeds or sins regardless of how minute they may be.

6. The requirement of performing Salat (prayer) and observing all of its prerequisites perfectly.

7. The requirement of enjoining good manners and forbidding wrong, with knowledge and kindness according to one's capacity and applying wisdom and effective persuasion.

8. Endure patiently the consequences of enjoining the good and forbidding the wrong, which is a serious responsibility.

9. Prohibition of pride and arrogance.

10. Moderation in everything.

[From: Guidelines for Raising Children]

:w: warhmatulahi wabarakthu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uma Rayanah
11-23-2005, 12:51 PM
:sl:

Jazaaki Allahu Khairh sistaa...

:w:

sapphire
11-24-2005, 11:32 AM
jazakallah for that sis....

habib
11-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Jazakallah sister for that ..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dhulqarnaeen
05-19-2006, 04:16 AM
shodaqallahul azhim wa shodaqo rosuluhul kareem

syilla
05-19-2006, 04:20 AM
thank you...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.