View Full Version : The Beggar

MetSudaisTwice
11-22-2005, 04:12 PM
salam
this is my coursework for A2 English. tell me what you think of it
jazakallah
wasalam

The Beggar

It is the season of summer now in the city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia. Warm? No, I think hot is the right word to describe today’s temperature. It was a particularly hot summer and each year as far as I can bear in mind the heat is significantly increasing in the city of Makkah, I have been suffering in this sweltering heat as I have many people to see and socialize with and usually walk through the beautifully yet jam packed streets to go to my friends houses. As I stroll through the congested streets full of locals and pilgrims from aboard celebrating the blessed month of Ramadhan I encounter one of my close friends and we decide to retire to a café to talk about life and have a cup of tea whilst talking.

As we sit down outside the café in the hot sunshine I call the waiter over, “Can I have two cups of tea please? Thank you”. Seeing as we were in café I thought I might as well get something to eat as I had work to go to in an hour’s time and it is a long shift. As I picked up the menu I notice there is many to choose from that I am spoilt for choice, after observing many delicious choices such as rice and chicken curry, chicken and chips that I could purchase to eat I then ordered to the waitress who was clearly not happy waiting for some time for me to order, “Can I also have two sandwiches please? Thank you”. While the waitress walked off to prepare our order I glanced over to the building that was opposite me and the café, the Grand Mosque of Makkah.

“The city looks simply stunning, don’t you think? Especially the Grand Mosque it looks so splendid!” my friend just nods his head in agreement, “Yes I agree; it is a joy to watch and mix with people who come from outside this Kingdom”
I was amazed as to how many people come year after year to visit this Mosque and how busy the streets of Makkah and the congested streets were so amazing to me. Although it is the summer period and many people suffer in the heat, people still find the strength to come and stroll through the beautiful city of Makkah.

As me and my friend sat there talking and laughing someone’s mobile started to ring. It was such a melodious ringtone and it was really loud too, very similar to my mobile phone’s ringtone. I got my phone out and checked if it was my mobile that was ringing. It wasn’t my mobile. I love my phone because it is such a thin, sleek design and it has all the essentials such as camera and video recording, but it was very expensive too. I then see that it was my friend’s phone that was ringing and he picks up and then indicates that he has to go, I presume maybe home to his wife and kids.

As I bid farewell to my friend my eyes caught a man who was disabled and he was a beggar in the busy streets, he was severely disabled and was begging in front of me on the other side of the street. This man was very desperate and looked very poor, he was wearing a shirt that was tattered and its buttons hanging off it and he was wearing a light colored trouser which was much worn out. As I observed his clothes I noticed that he was wearing a sandal which had seen its better days and the other foot was bare. The man had rummaged through the dustbin on the street in desperate hope to find food which to his joy he had found a few bones that he could chew on.
Just as he was chewing on a bone a rich looking man most likely to be a local Arab was clad in the traditional silky white thobe and red scarf on his head walked towards his parked car nearby the beggar. Many Arabian men wander through the streets wearing thobes which is aloose, long-sleeved, ankle-length garment. The summer thobes are white and made of cotton and it is perfectly suited for the hot desert climate of Saudi Arabia.

Just as the beggar was chewing on his dirty old bone, the Arab man who had parked his tinted Mercedes excessively close to the Grand Mosque in a designated VIP parking area walked passed the beggar on his way to his car. As he pulled the keys out and the alarm did that familiar electronic sound 'whup whup'. As the man entered his car the beggar put his hand on the Arab man’s shoulder in a desperate attempt to grab his attention and pulled him back. The beggar raised his finger to the sky and said, "Please, for the sake of your Muslim brother!”. The beggar had a clear accent and could speak perfect English, I could hear his speech clearly and I thought that isn’t bad for a beggar who could speak such clear and fluent English. The Arab man was taken aback at the fact that such a poor beggar had the nerve to touch and even ask such a rich man himself who was in such a high status in terms of social hierarchy compared to this ugly filthy looking tramp who was at the lowest point of the social status order.
“Do not touch me!” The voice was raised and in anger the Arab man pushed the beggar to the floor in such force that the beggar did not move from the ground for a while, his bone was thrown away from him as he landed on the floor on such impact. Trying to end the moment and avoid a dip into the pocket, the Arab man said back,
"Allah will provide you!" The beggar now on the floor in obvious pain said back, "What! Did you at any moment think that I thought YOU were my provider! I'm not asking for your provision, I KNOW Allah will provide for me."
As the beggar staggered and bought himself up from the floor, the two stood there staring at one another for a moment and then the Arab man went into his Mercedes and rolled up the tinted windows and then he drove away. He drove at such speed exquisitely and smoothly leaving behind the poisonous carbon monoxide fumes that continued to destroy the Earth’s Ozone Layer.

It was a shocking sight of course, to see so many people around, yet everyone was oblivious to the misery of this poor man. Why don’t the local community help the poor out more regularly? I try to donate as much money as I can generously but why can’t people align themselves with the poor and assist them out? I felt so emotionally overwhelmed by the incident the occurred right before my very own eyes. As I watched on in disbelief at such egotism of the Arab man the waiter delivered me my food. “Sir you have seemed to order two sandwiches but there seem to be only you here, do you want me to cancel this order?” I turned my back around to face the waiter, who had kindly put the sandwiches down the table.
“No leave them with me, leave both sandwich”.
The waiter seemed surprised as to why I had kept an extra sandwich but little did he know my intention as to why I intended to keep the extra sandwich. I looked at the sandwiches on the table, it looked very delicious, a toasted chicken sandwich with mayonnaise and lettuce. “Waiter hold on, can you give this sandwich to the beggar over there?” The waiter who had such neat combed hair and clean shaven face looked confused by my request.
“The beggar just across the road, he is wearing a light grey shirt that has its buttons hanging off and he is wearing cream trousers, go give the sandwich to him” then the waiter explains to me that he is not allowed off premises during work hours as it is against the work regulations. Looks like I will have to give him the sandwich myself. I might as well finish my delicious sandwich first and then I will give it to him. As I sat there eating my sandwich and also observing the beggar the thoughts of poverty and misery filled my mind. Here I was, someone to whom had been given so much. I had wealth, family, home, and so much more. Yet for the most part of my life was spent being unaware to the misery of the people around me.

I thought, "As I sit here eating this sandwich, safe and secure, how many people in this world are suffering from lack of food? How many people don’t have decent or any home to go to? I felt really ashamed of myself compared to this beggar because those who are blessed with such luxuries only think of buying bigger houses, better clothes, new mobile phones and faster cars while the poor only want some decent clothing and an adequate shelter to live in. people don’t give charity because they fear that it will lessen their riches but in fact it will help others and it will give you a moral boost.

As I eat my sandwich I notice that the beggar started to make a move.
“Waiter quickly give me the bill for these sandwiches” as I drop my half eaten sandwich on the table. i felt guilty knowing that my sandwich which I had not eaten will be thrown away in the rubbish tip. Yet how precious could they have been to the starving people in the country and around the world.

As the waiter hurriedly walks toward me with the bill I notice that the total amount is only 65 Riyals.
“Here is a hundred Riyals, keep the change”. It isn’t much and I can afford to buy food at such prices but these poor people can’t. As I ran out of the café I frantically search for the beggar. I really can’t see him, especially in this busy street. I ran toward the hotel at the end and by such chance I managed to see him in my sight.
“Hi I noticed what happened back there, and I am really sorry for what happened before with that egotistic man”, as I gasped and struggled for breath because that was a fair amount of running I did back there.
“What would you know?” the beggar says in a harsh and angry tone of voice. “Listen you just go back to wherever you came from, I don’t need you or your sympathy”
“I just wanted to give you this and I hope you accept this from me” As I show him the sandwich his scrawny face lights up and he is overjoyed. I feel really happy to be giving him such happiness.
“Thank you so much, this is probably the best food I will have in years” I felt so happy and proud to have been helping out the needy. I flicked my wrist and glanced at my Armani watch and noticed that I had not got long left until work.
“Brother I am going to have to go now, I am late for work” as I ran off toward the end of the street to catch the bus to work. As I wait for the bus feeling so happy and good about myself, I notice my bus was approaching. Oh I hope I get to work on time. I notice the gentleman in front of me reading a newspaper and on the back it read, ‘CHARITY DOES NOT DIMINISH WEALTH

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
11-23-2005, 02:29 PM
salam
guess no one noticed this or enjoyed it??
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
:sl:

I have...ppl did view it..9 in fact. But no one replied..awwwww.lol.
. its nice to read it, but ill do that later.
Allah ma3ak

~Raindrop~
11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
salaam
i did read it but a2 is WAY too advanced 4 me, so i cant say anything. its excellent though.
wassalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MetSudaisTwice
11-23-2005, 02:34 PM
salam
jazkallah for your comments, but you don't have to reply becasue i said so but jazakallah for your kindness
wasalam

TEH
11-23-2005, 04:47 PM
That was very cool...

Some of the ways youve described the clothing look weird though, I think you should show cvgibson in his English thread, he can check it out for you...

:)

Z
11-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Peace.

There's quite a lot of English errors. Please do remember you speak English, not American.

S', not Z'.

Get it checked as a draft.

mehnaz
11-23-2005, 05:16 PM
salaam,
good one bro....just needs a few changes here and there...but its good...and i can say that cuz i usually dont read anything thats more than a para long wen im on the net..i prefer reading in a book form....but i read the whole article bro...:happy: :happy: :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.