/* */

PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to President George W. Bush

Far7an
01-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Letter from an "expelled" Muslim to an elected American

Mr. President,

By a strange twist of fate, this year's calendar puts your inauguration on the same day as the most important religious day of the year for Muslims. Is it a historical irony that links these two celebrations together? As you are inaugurated for your second term, I, a European Muslim, want to share with you a few thoughts.

Mr. President, I was banished from the United States by your administration. My visa was revoked, as I was about to assume my position as a Professor at Notre Dame University. To this day, I have not been told the reasons behind this action.

I do know, as does Homeland Security and the State Department, that my file is empty. The Patriot Act was put forward as an excuse and I was asked to reapply. Since then, there has been total silence. Why was this decision taken? What are you afraid of? Is it perhaps that academic freedom of expression has become a danger for you? Or is it perhaps the fact that it would have fortified criticism against you, no matter how constructive, especially coming from a Muslim intellectual?

What are you doing to your country, Mr. President?

Along with the majority of Muslims around the world, I condemned the September 11 attacks. I shared and sympathized with the American people's pain. We understood their fears and the depth of their doubts. To transcend that traumatic experience, two things were crucial. First, Muslims had to firmly and clearly denounce terrorism and extremism, which they did, even if at times it was done timidly. Second, the American government should have shed light on the facts: how were such odious acts possible? Who was responsible for the multiple and repeated information failures? The people of the United States, like the rest of the world, needed explanations, transparency and truth.

However, since September 11th, 2001 your administration has continued to accumulate shadowy dealings. Boards of inquiry were delayed or strangely constituted; state secrets and sinister silences mushroomed. In the name of the "war against terrorism", the ultimate reason for legitimacy, did you permit your officials to make decisions and to act illegitimately, without a hint of accountability? Under your watch, laws eradicating civil liberties have been enacted which put into question the rights of citizens. Discrimination against Arabs and Muslims has been institutionalized and legalized. There is limitless scrutiny, individuals are arrested, and lying in the name of the State has become the norm.

Whatever the tone of your generous speeches, facts do not lie: this is not a good time to be a Muslim in the United States. The consequences of the Patriot Act has been exactly what its' most virulent detractors had predicted - an infringement of citizens' rights and legalized discrimination that is reminiscent of the McCarthy era.

Your commitment on the international stage is no less alarming. Your intervention in Afghanistan killed thousands of civilians who had nothing to do with the attacks of September 11th. The situation is unresolved. Bin Laden is still a fugitive and tortures exerted by those under your administration are a daily happening as confirmed by Human Rights Watch.

Inhumane treatment inflicted on the Guantanamo prisoners in a declared "no rights" area is scandalous. Your intervention in Iraq only confirmed these practices, characterized by lies, systematic manipulation and in the end, the death of tens of thousands of Iraqis and Americans. The horrors of Abu Ghuraib prison, which appeared as revelations of torture were in fact institutionalized, from Afghanistan to Guantanamo. The American soldiers in Iraq are not primarily responsible: someone at the head of your administration had undoubtedly given the green light. Mr. Bush, would it be that you are in favour of torture exerted against Arabs and Muslims? Is this the message that one must understand from these actions?

For the last three years, your policy has consisted in victimizing the American super power to such an extent that in return, it has had total disrespect for basic human rights. Instead of calming spirits with more truth and dialogue, you have spread fear by keeping Americans in the dark and lying to them. It was expected that you would assist in surpassing the trauma of September 11th, not sustain it dangerously. You have won the elections by feeding the fears of your citizens and presenting yourself as their only guarantor of security. You won by playing on emotions, not intelligence.

Mr. President,

I have visited the United States more than twenty times in the past three years. I know that your country abounds with people of critical intelligence and honesty. Many of your citizens are not easily deceived. They are not only ashamed of the image you give of your country but, more deeply, of the way in which you are transforming it into a citadel besieged by fear and arrogance.

As a European Muslim, frightened by your unilateralism and the serious excesses of your policies, it is towards worthy and critical American citizens that I invite Muslims to turn to and to bring together their hopes. If the Muslims are right in not trusting you, they should not confuse the American people with the increasingly blunt spirits that surround you.

It's been a couple of weeks that you have made your support for the victims of the Tsunami disaster public in order to show Muslims that you were capable of compassion and that you respected them. At the heart of this natural disaster, aware of the desolation and deaths, know Mr. President, that these Muslims remain lucid. You will not gain their trust through emotions.

Your second mandate begins January 20th. You presented yourself to the American people as the solution but you are in fact the problem. You have not ceased to deepen the gap between the United States and the rest of the world - not only the Muslim world but also Europe. As a European Muslim, I had the hope that by relocating to your country, I would have been able to bring a critical and constructive contribution. Your administration preferred to exclude me, like so many other Muslim intellectuals, in order to protect itself from debate and dialogue.

I finally decided not to try settling in your country anymore. I am not sure what, during this second mandate, could rid you of this Manichean view and dangerous interpretation of the world. I do not know what could persuade you to use less lies and more truths.

I know simply that the Muslims celebrate on this 20th of January, a faith which they consider stronger then your capriciousness. If with strength of conscience and intelligence, they succeed in distinguishing between your administration and the American people and continue to dialogue with those of your fellow-citizens who have not been blinded, then hope remains. That is the only hope, unless you are touched by grace and that you understand that it is urgent, for the good of our planet, that you change your policies.

Tariq Ramadan, is a Swiss scholar known for his work on Islamic theology and the place of Muslims in the modern world. He was appointed to teach Islamic philosophy and ethics at the University of Notre Dame. He received a visa from the State Department and was scheduled to start his classes in late August 2004. But just days before he was set to travel, his visa was revoked without explanation at the behest of the US - Department of Homeland Security.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Far7an
02-02-2005, 07:09 PM
i dont think he can, he probably has one adviser reading it to him, another explaining it to him in more simple terms

aamirsaab
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM
he cant eat a pretzel either

Sephiroth
03-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Just remember, Bush won the majority of the Muslim vote in 2000.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
majority of muslims being 10 u mean hehe
seriously tho, bush isnt exactly the brightest president but hey,,,the people love him and so they elected him...twice!

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Because it was him vs. Gore and muslims made a naive decision.

Zuko
09-25-2005, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Never knew that... mainly because I'm not old enough to vote...

EXCELLENT username btw.........

(Cloud is better) :zip:

Ummu Amatullah
09-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Asallama Alaikum Jazak'Allah brother nice post :thumbs_up .Not only can he not read he can't even pronounce his own name right.I was watching him today funny little man have you ever realized when he's speaking it looks as if he's blind walahi take a close look.By the way when he laughs it's hilarious too.Even though he makes my blood boil,but still a funny guy.He has to be the first U.S president to make a fool out of himself on national television.Way to go pres.keep doing what your doing and p.s stay out of our countries and tend to your country which desperately is in need of you.You know since hurricane Rita is right around the corner. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :D

Noor
09-25-2005, 02:45 AM
:sl:

LOL

Besides his evil actions and sinister ways, he kinda looks like a cute lost mouse.

Thats my two cents on American Politics. Canada rules!!!

:w:

Lina
09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
:sl:

Ah, Tariq Ramadan.
I think we all know his case, he was 'banned' from the united states
on grounds of endorsing terrorism and the united states denies entry to “aliens” who have used a “position of prominence within any country to endorse or espouse terrorist activity.”

His book; ''Be a European Muslim'' is a sort of description of what is happening to European Muslims and their identities and struggles, it's quite interessting eventhough you don't have to read the book to understand what's happening, I think we're all aware of the situations around Muslims everywhere.

btw, I think he should get over the fact that the united states banned him, as if anyone would like to live there, especially when you're banned.
just let it go, as if the united states government will acknowledge their
fault(S).

:w:

sonofadam
09-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Tariq Ramadan.....hmm....waste of time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.