/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religious profiling

kadafi
11-27-2005, 02:47 PM
:sl:

Four days ago, I attempted to wire some money via Western Union and one of their representatives specifically told me in the end that the transaction was completed succesfully without any problems. Oddly enough, they contacted me on the same day saying that I have to provide proof of ID to confirm my identity and place of birth. Since I have never used Western Union before; I assumed that it was some sort of security check for first time customers so I complied with the request. I faxed them my passport and rang them 3 hours later to inquire about the status of my order. They told me that they have forwarded the 'case' to the Legal Department in USA. Upon asking why, they told me that your first name, which is the common name (Muhammad), appeared on the US watchlist and they told me that it can take months before you are cleared. I politely asked them that I cannot wait months and that I wanted a refund. They replied saying that they cannot release the money until the Legal Department in USA releases your case. I hung up and googled if there were similiar cases.

To my suprise, a similiar (reported) incident happend in the USA a few years ago.
Western Union Money Transfer Harasses Muslims

Washington: The Council for American-Muslim Relations (CAIR) has alleged harassment campaign against Muslim customers by Western Union Money Transfer, a company that deals with money transfer across cities and nations. CAIR, alleged that Western Union seizes money being transferred by Muslim customers and launches investigations into credentials of persons whose names carry prefixes or suffixes such as Mohammad, Ahmed, Ali etc. Recently when a black Muslim American named Mohammad Ali transferred money from New York to Connecticut, an officer from Western Union insisted on his submitting a photograph as his name was Mohammad Ali. Mohammad Ali protested and wanted return of the money, but the company said the money would not be given back unless he submitted a photograph. Wendy Herbert, a spokeswoman of Western Union said the seizure of the money was in accordance with the American laws. She said that such laws were specifically applied against names bearing Mohammad or Ali etc. Mohammad Ali got back his money a day after he submitted his photograph. CAIR is seeking explanation from the Western Union as the American business laws do not allow discrimination on the basis of religion.
http://www.islamicvoice.com/april.2003/news.htm#wum

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding this religious profiling and what should I do?

Jazaka'Allaahu khairun in advance

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
11-27-2005, 05:05 PM
great great.Just what we need.*rolls eyes*

Sahabiyaat
11-27-2005, 06:04 PM
:-\ i cant believe this
this is just crap
i dnt think theres much u can do brother ... unless ur willing to change ur name

Brother_Mujahid
11-27-2005, 06:06 PM
bladdy edeeeeyets

its a very unreliable money transfer company, with many scammers who use that company when stealing gullible customers from their money.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Bittersteel
11-27-2005, 06:20 PM
maybe they think some people are financing terrorists and 'Islamists'....Look be careful they may even detain you.

sapphire
11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
OMG!!!cant belive this.....this is just...*lost for words*!!!!!
remember Allah..he is alway there....May Allah help you and all others...Ameen!!!

Noor
11-27-2005, 08:49 PM

Unfortunately, I cannot give any legal advice but when something like this happens to a believer, one has to remeber the words of Allah (SWT).

'O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere.' (2:153)

'Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, '(2:155)

'So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief' (94:5)
' Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.' (94:6)

Prophetic Sayings:

How amazing the affairs of the believer are, because there is good for him in all affairs. If he receives a good thing he is grateful (to Allah) and this good for him, while if he is struck with adversity, he is patient and it is good for him.

May Allaah subhanahwata'aala make it easier for you and your family. Ameen.

safwana
11-27-2005, 08:55 PM
talk about dem aveing useless misson?

mke sure inquire every so often dey might speed it up dat way?

czgibson
11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Greetings,

That's very unpleasant. Sorry I can't think of any advice to give - I'm just horrified. Like a previous poster said, I think the only way to get around it would be to change your name before you have dealings with them again. But why should you? It's the insecurities of the US that are to blame - not you.

Peace

Halima
11-27-2005, 09:22 PM

Brother, since the bank has already fowarded your case to the U.S department, to prevent matters getting worse, I suggest you to go and seek a lawyer. If you have a lawyer then they will most likely help you to get out of this situation. The reason why I suggest you to seek a lawyer is because I have a sister-in-law overseas and we've been trying for 3 years now to get her here in U.S.A. Up til now, she is still not here. We had proceeded to go seek a lawyer. Now, this lawyer is dealing with the homeland security. See brother, there are many scenarios that are happening to muslims in non-muslim country. From racial profiling to air-port screenings. If your case went farther into a deeper level, then the lawyer can back you up. When in fact you are muslim and you are dealing with the law it is far more suspicious than a white man. Security levels have gone up, to such an extent that every single muslim walking on the steet is suspicious.

Muezzin
11-27-2005, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
bladdy edeeeeyets
I agree.

its a very unreliable money transfer company, with many scammers who use that company when stealing gullible customers from their money.
Surely you mean stealing money from their gullible customers? Otherwise it'd be kidnap of silly people, which isn't that bad, all things considered :p

And I agree with sister Halima, seek the help of a lawyer. Alternatively, is it possible to use another company?

Umu 'Isa
11-28-2005, 08:18 AM
SubhanAllah.. this sort of stuff angers me!! Stay strong brother and remember Allah (swt)

Umm Yoosuf
11-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Subhanallah i am so shocked i don't even know what to advice you :(....PLace your trust in Allah. Have patience. I think i too agree with sister Halima's adice.

mehnaz
11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
change name ? :eek:
isn't it true tht "MUHAMMAD" is the most commonest name in the world !
a study sed so^.

tht's silly of them putting such a common name in their watchlist :-\
I agree too :-\
salaam,

i agree that its silly to put such a common name on the watchlist....but that is wats happening around the world bro...its not just the money transfer companies but even the immigration authorities in certain countries who're delaying the processing if ur name is Muhammad or if ur passport has been issued in the K.S.A...:-\ :enough!:

FiAmanillah...

kadafi
11-28-2005, 07:45 PM

Jazaka'Allaahu khairun for the replies. I cannot wait months for my refund so does anyone know any uk muslim organisations that deal with such cases?

Umm Yoosuf
11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Try and look at the Muslim Directory Insha Allah.

sapphire
12-08-2005, 02:59 PM
any luck bro kadafi?????

kadafi
12-12-2005, 12:34 PM

They refunded the money Alhumdillah but prior to that, I contacted Islamic Human Rights commision and they told me to write a letter asking Western Union to clarify their policy on religious and racial profiling.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.