/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ok, a serious question here. Can someone explain the meaning of JIHAD to me

Noir_deluxe
11-29-2005, 04:42 PM
I am very unsure about the actual meaning of a JIHAD. I hear about it all the time, on the news about Arab leaders declaring a JIHAD on the United States, or the occupiers, or other such places and peoples. Mostly it's terrorists such as Al-Zarqawi and Osama Bin Laden I hear it from...

Anyways, yeah if someone could explain this to me, it would be much appreciated.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nafy
11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
SALAAMZ,
from what i know
jihad means 'struggle/strive for Allah'
there is 2 types........greater jihad.....which is fulfilling da 5 pillars truely
and lesser jihad.....which is physical strugle 4 Allah swt
das all i know
if im rong sum1 plz correct me.......cus dis is what i have been told
n e wayz
hope dat helped
take care
w/salaamz

safwana
11-29-2005, 05:15 PM
peace

jihaad litral meaning is 2 strive in the path of allah?

jihaad is wen ur country or ppl is being oppresed 2 fight 4 ur rights?

mehnaz
11-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Hadith - Bukhari, Vol. 4, No. 41, Narrated 'Abdullaah bin Mas'uud
I asked Allah's Messenger , "O Allah's Messenger! What is the best deed?" He replied, "To offer the prayers at their early fixed stated times." I asked, "What is next in goodness?" He replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents." I further asked, "What is next in goodness?" He replied, "To participate in Jihad in Allah's Cause." I did not ask Allah's Messenger anymore and if I had asked him more, he would have told me more.

The Noble Qur'an 2:216
Jihâd (holy fighting in Allâh's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allâh knows but you do not know.

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #3835, Narrated AbuHurayrah
Allah's Messenger said, "If anyone meets Allah with no mark of jihad, he will meet Allah with a flaw in him." [Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah transmitted it]

SO WHAT IS JIHAD???

In the linguistic sense, the Arabic word "jihad" means struggling or striving and applies to any effort exerted by anyone.For Muslims the term jihad is applied to all forms of striving .

It is indeed a struggle to put Allah ahead of our loved ones, our wealth, our worldly ambitions and our own lives. Especially for a non-Muslim who embraces Islam, it may be a tough struggle due to the opposition of his family, peers and society

When we are faced with two competing interests, it becomes jihad to choose the right one , as the following Hadith exemplify.

Aisha, wife of the Prophet(S) asked, "O Messenger of Allah, we see jihad as the best of deeds, so shouldn't we join it?" He replied, "But, the best of jihad is a perfect hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah)." Sahih Al-Bukhari #2784

At another occasion a man asked the Prophet Muhammad(S):

"Should I join the jihad?" He asked, "Do you have parents?" The man said, "Yes!" The Prophet(S) said, "then strive by (serving) them!" Sahih Al-Bukhari #5972

Jihad is to have courage and steadfastness to convey the message of Islam

Jihad is Defending Islam and the community...
The Qur'an permits fighting to defend the religion of Islam and the Muslims. This permission includes fighting in self defense and for the protection of family and property. The early Muslims fought many battles against their enemies under the leadership of the Prophet Muhammad(S) or his representatives. For example, when the pagans of Quraysh brought armies against Prophet Muhammad(S), the Muslims fought to defend their faith and community.

wearing niqab alone can become jihad in an oppressive land. This jihad spoken of can involve sacrifices, but most importantly it involves OBEDIENCE. Allah, subhana wa tala, says He does not need our sacrifice but desires our obedience. Obedience in the salah, obedience and submission to the husband, obedience in guarding our tongue.

------------------------

hope that helps...

PS. the source of the above is "http://www.iiie.net/Brochures/Brochure-18.html"

------------------------
I pray to Allah swt to forgive me if i have made any mistakes in answering the brother's/sister's question!!...

FiAmanillah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mu'maneen
11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
:sl:

Mostly it's terrorists such as Al-Zarqawi and Osama Bin Laden
I politely ask you to refrain from calling people terrorists unless you have spoken to them in person and seen such actions of theirs (in person) as terrorist actions, instead of listening to what the media are saying.

The greatest Jihad is fighting for the sake of Allah. Dieing for the sake of Allah is the greatest of deeds in which we say the person has died a Martyr. The person sacrificing his body for the sake of Allah is the greatest sacrifice a person can make.

The next we have is Jihad Al-Nafs, in which the Muslim holds in his/her desires and does not succumb to Shaytan and prevents himself/herself falling for temptation that angers Allah in which the person is in the middle of Jihad of Desires.

Jihad means to sacrifice something for Allah. In the two cases above, to sacrifice your life for Allah, and to sacrifice the desires for the sake of Allah.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

Noir_deluxe
11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
O.o thanks, that sort of clears things up.

Noir_deluxe
11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mu'maneen

I politely ask you to refrain from calling people terrorists unless you have spoken to them in person and seen such actions of theirs (in person) as terrorist actions, instead of listening to what the media are saying.

The greatest Jihad is fighting for the sake of Allah. Dieing for the sake of Allah is the greatest of deeds in which we say the person has died a Martyr. The person sacrificing his body for the sake of Allah is the greatest sacrifice a person can make.

The next we have is Jihad Al-Nafs, in which the Muslim holds in his/her desires and does not succumb to Shaytan and prevents himself/herself falling for temptation that angers Allah in which the person is in the middle of Jihad of Desires.

Jihad means to sacrifice something for Allah. In the two cases above, to sacrifice your life for Allah, and to sacrifice the desires for the sake of Allah.

---------------------

Wait, are you telling me that you do not consider Osama Bin Laden and Al-Zaqawi terrorists? Because despite the media, the events that have transpired due to their actions are without a doubt, terrorist in nature.

Even the Jordanian government is now calling Al-Zaqawi a terrorist, thanks to the recent suicide bombings in that kingdom.

And how can you say they are not terrorists, when they decide to have innocent people killed, such as the terror attacks of September 11, the numerous bombings in Spain, London, the U.S.S Cole bombing, and the Embassy bombings in the 1990's. All of these actions took innocent lives, and were perpetrated by terrorists.

Mu'maneen
11-29-2005, 06:00 PM

Wait, are you telling me that you do not consider Osama Bin Laden and Al-Zaqawi terrorists? Because despite the media, the events that have transpired due to their actions are without a doubt, terrorist in nature.
Peace Noir_deluxe. The actions of the Salaf is to never accuse a person unless they have seen such person commit a crime. I personally do not believe Bin Laden committed those crimes. I also do not personally know Al-Zaqawi and for all I know he may not even exist.

One thing I personally hate is backbiting and slander. These are the actions that remove our good deeds that we work had for and as well as that, these are the actions that can remove all chances of ever making it into Paradise and will surely remove all chances to be amongst those 70,000 who enter Paradise without account on The Day of Judgment.

---------------------

- Qatada -
11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
hey peace.

this is goin to be a really long post but i want you to see the islamic side to this and please be patient enough to read it to gain a better understanding about islam and its viewpoint on jihad (holy struggle) its all backed up with quotes from our holy book the qur'an and the sunnah (the actions and sayings of our beloved prophet (peace and blessings be upon him.) which are all authentic.

An Explanation of Jihaad

Jihaad. it has become a frequently heard term in the news and media. We hear it all the time and we may wonder at the meaning of the term. We see it connected with all sorts of activites on TV. What is Jihaad?

Today, Jihaad is probably one of the most misunderstood terms. The incorrect usage of the term by the media only makes the matter worse.

In an effort to understand the true concept of Jihaad we will examine the connotations of the term as provided in the Qur'an and Sunnah, which are the two supreme sources on Islam.

First of all, it would be important to mention that Jihaad does not refer to 'Holy War'. The term Holy War is a term alien to Islamic teachings as it was coined by the Crusaders a thousand years ago when they massacred both Muslims and Jews in palestine.

The term Jihaad literally means a struggle. Within an Islamic context it refers to a struggle for the sake of God. As we can see from examples in the Qur'an, this struggle may be of many sorts, and it does not necessarily refer to military Jihaad.

Here is an example:

29:8 We have enjoined on man kindness to parents: but if either of them strive (JAHADAKA) to force thee to join with Me (in worship) anything of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not. Ye have (all) to return to me, and I will tell you (the truth) of all that ye did.

As seen in the above verse, here the non-muslim parents are striving to convert their child back to their religion. This is an example of the usage of the word Jihaad as provided in the Qur'an.

So the understanding of Jihaad in Islam, is striving for the pleasure of the One God. There are many ways to strive for the pleasure of God as outlined in the Qur'an and Sunnah, as we shall see, insha'Allah.

The first example is striving to live under the way of Islam. This includes restraining one's desires and sacrificng their personal wants for the sake of living in the path of the Creator.
The Qur'an guides those muslims with regards to making Jihad by sacrificing one's personal desires for the sake of God:

9:23 O ye who believe! take not for protectors your fathers and your brothers if they love infidelity above Faith: if any of you do so, they do wrong.

9:24 Say: If it be that your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your mates, or your kindred; the wealth that ye have gained; the commerce in which ye fear a decline: or the dwellings in which ye delight - are dearer to you than Allah, or His Messenger, or the STRIVING in His cause;- then wait until Allah brings about His decision: and Allah guides not the rebellious.

As we can clearly see form the above verse, Allah asks the believers to perform Jihaad by holding tight to the path of Islam.

As we know, during the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), many of the companions were being persecuted solely for the reason that they were muslim. Their families placed heavy pressure on them to leave Islam. It was even worse for the slaves. Khabab ibn al-Arat was a slave who worked as a blacksmith. After He accepted Islam, his master ordered for him to have burning hot coal from the furnace pressed against his head and back.

Allah answered Khabab's prayers for help and allowed him to migrate with the other muslims to Madinah. (Ironically, before Khabab left, his master got a disease, for which the only known cure was cauterization.)

These early muslims sacrificed everything for Islam. They gave up their wealth, their homes and their families, sall for the purpose of practicing the path of submission ordained by the one and only God. This was a Jihad. It was a Jihad of sacrifice, not a military expedition of any sort.

Proof of this lies in the saying of another companion, Ali ibn Abi Talib. He said, "May Allah grant mercy to Khabab, for he entered Islam willingly, migrated obediently, and lived making Jihad".

This saying shows us that the true nature of Jihad is one of a continuous struggle to uphold turth, justice, freedom and equality. A true muslim "lives" making Jihad.

Those who suffer such persecution are advised to make Jihad by through migration.

4:97 Lo! As for those whom the angels take (in death) while they wronged themselves, (the angels) will ask: 'In what you were engaged?' They will way: 'We were oppressed in the land.' (The angels) will say: 'Was not Allah's earth spacious that you could have migrated therein?'

2:218 Lo! Those who believe, and those who emigrate (to escape persecution) and STRIVE (JAHADU) in the way of Allah, these have hope of Allah's mercy...

So we see a Jihad in bearing persecution, and in leaving behind one's wealth, family, and home through migration.

This message is again emphasized in the Qur'an:

25:52 Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers, but STRIVE against them with the utmost strenuousness, with the (Qur'an).

The word jihad is used again above, and from the story I have related, the context becomes clear that it is not a Holy War, but a struggle to uphold righteousness.

Jihad may be as great as bearing persecution (as seen in the lives of the companions) or it may be simply restraining one's desires in an attempt to follow the laws of God.

22:78 And STRIVE (JADIHU) for Allah with the endeavor (JIHADIHI) which is His right. He has chosen you and has not laid upon you in the DEEN (religion) any hardship...

29:6 And whosoever STRIVES (JAHADA), STRIVES (YUJAHIDU) only for himself, for lo! Allah is altogether independent of the universe."

A Muslim should be steadfast in following the laws of Islam and should not allow personal desires to get in his path. For example, a muslim is encouraged to forgive others who have harmed them and to restrain their anger:

41:34 Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!

We also find in the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh:

"A man said to the Prophet (pbuh): Counsel me. He (i.e. the Prophet) said: Do not become angry. The man repeated [his request] several times, and he (i.e. the Prophet) said: Do not become angry." (Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, number 137)

So restraining one's anger and returning good for evil are both examples of a common Jihaad muslims are asked to make.

Besides only abstaining from doing wrong, Muslims also do Jihad by striving to do good.

29:69 As for those who STRIVE (JAHADU) in Us (the cause of Allah), We surely guide them to Our paths, and lo! Allah is with the good doers.

Here Allah is encouraging believers to do good deeds by informing them that He will surely guide them and be with them as they serve humanity through compassion and love.

Perfoming righteous acts has always been considered a Jihad in Islam. The Prophet Muhammad pbuh has described righteous deeds as a jihad in many narrations.

Aisha, wife of the Prophet (pbuh) asked, 'O Messenger of Allah, we see jihad as the best of deeds, so shouldn't we join it?' He replied, 'But the best of jihad is a perfect Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah).' (Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 26, Number 595)

At another occasion, a man asked the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh):

"'Should I join the jihad?' He asked, 'Do you have parents?' The man said, 'Yes!' The Prophet (S) said, 'Then strive by serving them!'" (Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 3)

What better proof can we ask for from the Sunnah that performing righteousness, deeds of compassion and love are amongst the best forms of Jihaad?

Islam encourages us to treat our parents, family and relatives, and neighbors with love. This is a Jihaad!

As the Prophet Muhammad pbuh said:

None of you truly believes until you love for your brother what you love for yourself (Nawawi #13)

Yet another man asked the Messenger of Allah (pbuh):

"'What kind of jihad is better?' He replied, 'A word of truth in front of an oppressive ruler!'" (Sunan Al-Nasa'i #4209)

The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: "...the MUJAHID (one who carries out jihad) is he who STRIVES against himself for the sake of Allah, and the MUHAJIR (one who emigrates) is he who abandons evil deeds and sin." - Ibn Hibban #4862)

As we can clearly see, jihaad has never been considered as 'Holy War' in Islam. Jihaad is merely the continuous struggle to uphold good for the pleasure of God. Jihaad can take many forms as we have seen and it is all about sacrifice. Sacrificing what you have for the sake of God. This may mean the sacrifice of desires or wealth. But obviously the greatest sacrifice is when one risks their life for the sake of justice, peace and truth.

This is where the concept of physical Jihaad comes in. Often we see that people become oppressed under tyrannical rule or they are being attacked by an invading force. Islam commands muslims to deffend the rights of others. It is the duty of muslims to establish justice and this may require the use of force to save lives. Every human being has the right to defend themselves, at it is obligatory to help another who is being attacked or oppressed.
Force is often necessary to defend against evil. An important point to note in the struggle for peace and justice is that without one the other cannot exist. Without justice, peace is meaningless. We cannot sit back and watch as the rights of others are discarded.

So a decisive use of force can often spare many lives and suffering. Islam recognizes that and gives human beings their right to defend themselves. There is no blame on a person who defends himself in the face of oppression and aggression. You do not have to allow yourselves to be persecuted and anihilated.

As the Qur'an says:

42:41 And whoso defendeth himself after he hath suffered wrong - for such, there is no way (of blame) against them.

42:42 The way (of blame) is only against those who oppress mankind, and wrongfully rebel in the earth. For such there is a painful doom.

42:43 And verily whoso is patient and forgiveth - lo! that, verily, is (of) the steadfast heart of things.

So the forgiving face of peace is favoured in Islam, but as we all know, peace cannot survive without justice. For example, during the reign of Hitler and the Nazis, the world could not stand by while millions of Jews were being massacred. It was imperative for humanity not to give in to the demands of evil and rush to liberate those people who were being oppressed by the Nazis. If a similar situation occurred today, it would be our duty to defend others from oppression. This is a duty upon every muslim and an example of a practical application of physical Jihaad.

We can also see a practical use of force to defend and implement justice in the life of Prophet Muhammad pbuh. After the muslims were expelled from Makkah through the persecution, all the wealth they left behind was seized by the Makkans and sold. The muslims were left with nothing but the brotherly love of the new muslims of Madinah who took those who fled from persecution into their homes and took care of them. Now they were able to establish an Islamic state and defend themselves from the attacks of the Makkans. Here fighting was necessary because had the muslims not stood up against the aggression they would have been completely eradicated.

2:190 Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loveth not transgressors.

As seen in the above verse, muslims only fight in defense against those who initiate the aggression and oppression. Thus Islam allows the use of force only to defend humanity from oppression and to establish justice. Those muslims who risk their lives seeking justice are rewarded with paradise, as this is the greatest manifestation of Jihaad- sacrificing one's life for the cause of truth, peace, and justice. We can see the practicality of the use of force in order to establish justice in law enforcement agencies. So while Islam commands peace as the rule, if a neighbor is being oppressed it is the duty of a muslim to defend them.

4:75 And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)?- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"

As this verse illustrates, the only purpose of the Muslims engaging in physical Jihaad is to defend the rights of others and to protect humanity from injustice.

Nevertheless, even when it comes to using force to establish justice, Islam has laid out specific laws and regulations to ensure that no injustice is done.

Muslims are forbidden from attacking those who are not fighting:

5:32...if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people,

Jihad can only be declared when the people are being attacked or oppressed. And even in the event of war, muslims should always be prepared to accept peace and cease fighting if the enemy offers peace:

8:61 But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in God: for He is One that heareth and knoweth (all things).

And if any peace treaty has been made it must be honored:

4:90 Except those who join a group between whom and you there is a treaty (of peace), or those who approach you with hearts restraining them from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. If God had pleased, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you: Therefore if they withdraw from you but fight you not, and (instead) send you (Guarantees of) peace, then God Hath opened no way for you (to war against them)

9:7 How can there be a league, before God and His Apostle, with the Pagans, except those with whom ye made a treaty near the sacred Mosque? As long as these stand true to you, stand ye true to them: for God doth love the righteous.

A Muslim can only perform physical jihaad for the establishment of justice and to liberate others from oppression. If there is an oppressed group or the threat of an attack, then the Muslims may use force to defend themselves and others. And in the event of a physical conflict, a muslim must obey the laws of Islam and be prepared to offer peace.

There are many specific regulations, which Muslims must follow during combat. These narrations from the Prophet Muhammad Peace be Upon him, outline some of them:

"Do not kill any old person, any child or any woman" (Abu Dawud).

"Do not kill the monks in monasteries" or "Do not kill the people who are sitting in places of worship" (Musnad of Ibn Hanbal).

"Do not cut off ears and noses and other parts of the body. Do not kill women and children, the elderly, and men of religion in their places of worship. Do not cut down date and other trees, and do not tear down buildings."(Bukhari)

Muhammad pbuh was also known to have forbidden the killing of captives and those tied up. These points are reinforced by other sayings of Prophet Muhammad collected in The Book of Jihad and Expedition (Kitab Al-Jihad wa'l-Siyar).

It has been narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah said: Do not desire an encounter with the enemy; but when you encounter them, be firm. (Muslim Book 019, Number 4313)

It is narrated by Ibn 'Umar that a woman was found killed in one of these battles; so the Messenger of Allah forbade the killing of women and children. (Muslim Book 019, Number 4320)

Muslims also believe that non-combatants are not to be harmed during or after the war.

One of the greatest companions of Prophet Muhammad, Abu Bakr, gave a detailed set of instructions to the muslim army:

Stop, O people, that I may give you ten rules for your guidance in the battlefield. Do not commit treachery or deviate from the right path. You must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, nor an aged man. Bring no harm to the trees, nor burn them with fire, especially those which are fruitful. Slay not any of the enemy's flock, save for your food. You are likely to pass by people who have devoted their lives to monastic services; leave them alone (Al-Muwatta, Volume 21, Hadith 10)

Based on the above mentioned principles, Muslims Scholars have established a list of guidelines during war:

1. War is to be waged only with those who encourage and engage in it.

2. Priests in churches, children, women, and the elderly must never be harmed.

3. Sown fields must not be damaged.

4. Treaties and agreements must not be broken.

5. Animals must not be harmed.

6. There must be no cruelty and torture.

7. Towns must not be destroyed.

So as we can see, Islam allows the use of force as a last resort, and only to defend the rights of others from oppression. And even in battle, Islam has laid out clear regulations. Jihaad is the struggle to uphold good for the sake of God and as we have seen it can take many forms. Hopefully this article will help enlighten people about the truth of Islam and clarify the misconceptions being circulated about Jihaad.

And Allah the Most Merciful knows best!

nafy
11-29-2005, 06:42 PM
salaamz
bro was my post rong ?
take care
w/salaamz

- Qatada -
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
wa alykum a Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

sis, your quite wrong because the greater jihad is the one mentioned on the previous page, but Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best. its got more evidence that the greater jihad is fighting in the way of Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala to end oppression.

the laws in the post above still apply obviously, but please read the following link to see why the greater jihad is fighting for the sake of Allaah the Most Merciful to end all oppression, injustice in the world.

http://www.islamicboard.com/111290-post57.html

if you still dont understand, please do ask. jazak Allaah khayr.

wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

nafy
11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
salaamz
jazakallah 4 clearing dat up bro :)
dunno wat i was hearing lol ;)
thnx alot!!!
w/salaamz :)

libyanhero
11-29-2005, 08:42 PM
are you telling me that you do not consider Osama Bin Laden and Al-Zaqawi terrorists?
Can you call mafia or gangs terrorists when they commit such crimes against humanity? Do you call murders terrorists? Yes/No, well the word terrorists comes from an individual who is terrifying or scaring so why are only muslims terrorists? do you have an answer for that

its all about equality if you call certain people terrorists than you call others who commit such crimes are the same, I see no difference your being terrorized or terrified

its almost as to say Muslims are terrorists there not the same as everyother person who terrorizes

Muslims are humans, why call them terrorists and others murderers isn't it the same thing, why use the word terrorists to label a whole religion and people, is it to give people more attention to the terrorists and not the murderers think about it, when there labeling muslims they use all these fancy words so peoples attention can be on the terrorists not the daily murderers that happen all over the word that also need to keep an eye at

sapphire
11-29-2005, 08:54 PM
well everyone has mentioned the greater jihaad..and then there is lesser jihaad..which is like waking up early on a freezing night for fajar and doing wadhu to perform salaat..(sorry if someone said this already)

Noir_deluxe
11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
O.o you know... half the time I have no idea what you are saying.

And I think you yourself are putting yourself on the low end of spectrum in regards to terrorism, libyanhero.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, I understand this, most people do. Its only the uneducated who believe this. There are many other terrorists. Domestic terrorists, for one. Like the sniper in Virginia a few years back. They considered him a terrorist. Timothy Mcvhey, the terrorists in Russia, there are terrorists everywhere, and to think that only the muslims are considered terrorists, well then you are putting yourself in a position of miseducation right there.

The fact is right now that Islamic Extremism and Islamic terrorists do exist. Not everyone is, but they do exist, which is my point.

Also, your definition of terrorist seems to be skewed.

Here we have a definition of terrorist.
terrorist

adj : characteristic of someone who employs terrorism (especially as a political weapon); "terrorist activity"; "terrorist state" n : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

And here we have the definition of terrorism
terrorism

n : the calculated use of violence (or threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimindation or coercion or instilling fear [syn: act of terrorism, terrorist act]

As you can see there is usually a political motivation there. A simple murderer is not a terrorist. He is a murderer, because most times, they are not trying to influence a government, or reach a higher goal. He is simply killing. While he invokes terror, he is not a terrorist.

And not all Islamic people are terrorists. But the groups who sit around and behead foreigners, fly planes into buildings, and blow themselves up to cause damage, are terrorists, by the common definition of inciting terror for political or social goals.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Hello Noir_deluxe,
I don't think it is fair to call them Islamic terrorists since Islam neither permits nor condones such acts, so why are they linked to the religion? In fact Islam condemns terrorism in the loudest voice. Simply using the word 'Islamic terror' creates such a destructive enmity/opposition to Islam. People should not be labelled by their religion.

As for the subject of terrorism and the Islamic view, the following site whould be helpful:
http://thetruereligion.org/modules/w...hp?category=14

Peace!

Mohsin
11-29-2005, 09:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noir_deluxe

And not all Islamic people are terrorists. But the groups who sit around and behead foreigners, fly planes into buildings, and blow themselves up to cause damage, are terrorists, by the common definition of inciting terror for political or social goals.
Ok i agree wit u bro. Wa the brothers before are basically saying are they agree whoever did 7/7 or 9/11 are terrorists, but they aren't going to accuse Osama Bin Laden, George Bush, America or Israel of doing it because we shouldn't reall backbite, and a lot of muslims do feel media is powerful and they could easily have constructed images of osama bin laden of committing an act, and thus they don't believe him to do it.
It's not particularly the view i take though. Anyway I myself and inshallah i am speaking for the vast majority we simply condemn these "terrorists" attacks and condemn whoever did so, which ever group or person was behind it are terrorists. Some muslims basically don't believe what they see on the media. I Hope that answers your question inshallah (God willing)

As regards to your definition of terrorism, do you then agree George Bush and Tony Blair then under your definition are the biggest terrorists in the world then, because there have been more torture and deaths in iraq and afghanistan on innocent lives than any other attack al qaeda are claimed to have done. I'm not calling george bush or tony blair terrorists, i'm just using your definition ;)

Noir_deluxe
11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hello Noir_deluxe,
I don't think it is fair to call them Islamic terrorists since Islam neither permits nor condones such acts, so why are they linked to the religion? In fact Islam condemns terrorism in the loudest voice. Simply using the word 'Islamic terror' creates such a destructive enmity/opposition to Islam. People should not be labelled by their religion.

As for the subject of terrorism and the Islamic view, the following site whould be helpful:
http://thetruereligion.org/modules/w...hp?category=14

Peace!

But it is fair, because they are carrying out these acts in the name of the Islamic religion. While some leaders condemn these acts, and they are not "condoned" by the Qu'ran, it is a book that is open to interpretation, which has led to such conflicts. Just because the book, or even high leaders does not condone these acts, these are opinions. In terms of the book, these radical extremists are simply reading what they want to hear. However, they believe that Allah wants them to do these things, and these acts are carried out in the name of Allah, and the Islamic religion! That is why they are refered to as Islamic extremists, or Islamic terrorists. Because they are using the religion as the basis and main reason for these attacks, and that is the public reason for such acts.

And Moss, I believe that Tony Blair, and George W. Bush, are terrorists in one sense of the word. But, I know people who are over there in Iraq, and they are being told to do what they can to safeguard civilians. In any war there are casualties.

But yes, I do consider them a sort of terrorist, and they should be held accountable for creating such a conflict as we are seeing now in the middle east, thanks to Dubya, the big idiot.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
But it is fair, because they are carrying out these acts in the name of the Islamic religion. While some leaders condemn these acts, and they are not "condoned" by the Qu'ran, it is a book that is open to interpretation, which has led to such conflicts. Just because the book, or even high leaders does not condone these acts, these are opinions. In terms of the book, these radical extremists are simply reading what they want to hear. However, they believe that Allah wants them to do these things, and these acts are carried out in the name of Allah, and the Islamic religion! That is why they are refered to as Islamic extremists, or Islamic terrorists. Because they are using the religion as the basis and main reason for these attacks, and that is the public reason for such acts.
But because of their false interpretation does that justify maligning the religion of over a billion followers? We never called Hitler a Christian terrorist even though there is substantial evidence that he used the Christian religion to further his evil purposes, and committed the atrocities in the name of Christ.
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people." (Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)
The fact is that no religion deserves to be associated with the actions of criminals solely because they commit their crimes in the name of their religion. That is utter nonsense. Hitler is never identified in the media as a Christian terrorist, and rightly so. Imagine what that would do to the image of Christianity if the worst criminals were repeatedly associated with the religion. If you can imagine that, then you may have an idea of what is being done to the image of Islam.

Regards

libyanhero
11-30-2005, 04:20 AM
O.o you know... half the time I have no idea what you are saying.
No comment but cruel

Not all Muslims are terrorists, I understand this, most people do. I
So your saying most muslims are terrorists, yah you think so highly of yourselves peacemaking when your soldiers the innocent in Iraq

Also, your definition of terrorist seems to be skewed.
What!!! A terrorist is someone who terrorizes an individual why is that skewed?

Halima
11-30-2005, 07:15 PM

The Qur’ân makes it clear that it is permissible for people to fight back against those who attack them. Allah says: “Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah:190]

Allah says: “And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)? Men, women, and children, whose cry is: ‘Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors, and raise for us from Thee one who will protect; and raise for us from Thee one who will help’.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ':75]

The Qur’ân also makes it clear that when the other party refrains from aggression, then it is not permissible to attack them. Allah says: “But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice and faith in Allah. But if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah:192-193]

It is permissible to fight against oppression and persecution. This does not only apply to Islam and Muslims, because everyone has the right to worship Allah. Allah says: “To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged – and verily Allah is Most Powerful for their aid – (They are) those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right – (for no cause) except that they say, ‘Our Lord is Allah’. Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure.” [Sûrah al-Hajj:39-40]

Resource:www.islamtoday.com

Ninth_Scribe
02-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Wait, are you telling me that you do not consider Osama Bin Laden and Al-Zarqawi terrorists?
I don't consider these men "terrorists" because they actually served the interests of the United States for two presidencies ~ and then were betrayed after they outlived their usefulness. Sorry, truth can burn.

Zarqawi's only "crime" as I see it, is that he could dish back to the Americans what we dished to him. I'm sick of hearing about Jordan. His family knew he was Muajhideen and had no problem with that until they were inconvenienced by the killing of innocents. Then they disowned him. Nice!

The Americans, on the other hand, sent a predator drone out after Zawahiri even though they KNEW there were innocent women and children at the location. What did they say? F-ck it.... FIRE!!!! Notice though, that the American was not disowned by HIS family for killing innocent women and children.

Spits at the ground... but Zarqawi is the terrorist? All I can say to his family is: Welcome to the party, guys!

God, I HATE family reunions!

Ninth Scribe

Ghazi
02-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Salaam

fly planes into buildings
Believe it or not america is responsable for the events of 9/11 I suggest you watch 'loose change' http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20890224991194

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.