/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Freedom and Oppression

-SaNah-
11-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Why is this seen as freedom

yet this is a sign of opression and people need to be liberated from it?

Now dont get me wrong, i'm not criticising Christianity but why does society see nothing wrong with a nun's choice to cover herself but when a womon decides to wear a scarf for Islamic reasons people say she is been opressed and she needs to be liberated?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danish
11-30-2005, 05:00 PM
:sl:
well, bible does say women to cover their heads but christian women dont do it...

position of women in bible is not nice :(

Concealed Pearl
12-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Asalamwalaikum

It's so sad seeing the western notion of "liberation." Recently, I had presented a seminar presentation on the hijab and the role of women in Islam, to enhance thier understanding of the liberation that Islam gives to women. It seemed like my class had really understood, and were beginning to get some sense knocked into themselves. However, this girl in my class also was doing a presentation on women, and she was using the women in the show "Sex and the City" to show how women are being liberated. When I had initially spoken to her about this topic, I suggested to her using the example of Muslim women and compare it to western women. I don't know what happened in the last minute, but she decided to show how this show is an example of liberation by modern feminism. I was like WHAT?! How is taking off ur clothes for the pleasure of men, "liberation"? how is being sexually promiscous by satsifying the desires of men being "liberated?" How is giving everyone a free show/ taste of your body being liberated? I was FURIOUS and frustrated, because these ppl will never learn that they in reality they are NOT being liberated, because no matter what, men will never respect you and look at you for who you are as person until u demand that respect by respecting urself. Which means, to guard and preserve ur beauty/ chastity for the special one in ur life. She asked if by being sexually promiscuos to find "mr. right" is immoral or moral. A lot of ppl were like yeah, it's ok, u need to find out what they're like. I was the only one who stood up and said no, it's extremely immoral because u don't need to "test the waters" out with so many different people, in order to find the right person in the end. When ur in love with someone, EVERYTHING about them looks good, and u accept it even though u normally wouldn't. But whatever, *sighz* The ayat where allah states that "allah guides and misguides whom he wills" (to its nearest meaning) is all that can comfort me. I tried, may allah grant them all hidayah to see the truth and bless them with imaan insha'allah.

Waalikumasalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Halima
12-16-2005, 09:26 PM
:sl:

Just think about it like this. How often do you see nuns roaming about? Very rarely is that correct? Whereas muslim women that are presreving their beauty wear the hijabs and the niquabs which create a steryotype amongst the non-muslims. When non-muslims see a muslim women covered from head to toe, they get very inqusitive hence they start asking questions. When they ask questions and see that we are doing it for the best interest of society they start to critisize and belittle us. That is why a woman's status in Islam is one of the most sophisticated apects amongst the non-muslims. They don't understand our status. They make up false notions that we are weak and that we do not have a voice for ourselves. Thus, they compare thensleves to us and they start to pity us without the least bit of idea that they will be eventually going to hell when they die as kuffars. No see right there, that's a very sad reality. they don't know how serious and crital muslim women have to be in this life regarding her status until otherwise. Nuns carry the same message they have to be relgious aswell, however that is not always the case. How often do you see a nun walking down the street compared to a Niquabi going to school everyday?

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sapphire
12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
yeah...that is sooooo trueeeeeeeee

hidden_treasure
12-20-2005, 08:15 AM
assalamu alaikum,

This is something ive always said to people. Unfortunaltely they seem to forget this, and now look at it as being backward...but there are still some people (non muslims) who accept and understand this completely..like my grandmother..(also non muslim)..she cant stand the fashion of today...dont blame her either. She loves the hijab...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.