/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Where do you gain your knowlegde from?

Muslimah81
12-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Salaams to all

Recently, I fell into a debate with a brother regarding the war in Iraq. To my suprise he actually supported the American invasion and believed that the west were offering a brighter and more hopeful future for Iraq (despite 100,000 if not more iraqis being killed, pictures from abu gharaib prison, false pretences for going to war e.t.c). He blamed all the current problems in Iraq on 'extremists'.

I felt very fustrated because although I felt very passionately about the unfairness of the war in iraq I didnt have the references/sources to give to the brother in order to re-inforce my arguments.

So my question is where do you learn/ gain reliable information from regarding the war in iraq to allow you to engage in a debate like the brother i mentioned above? ..........and I dont mean the BBC! :p

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ABWAN
12-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Wa alaikum asalam wr wb

There is no single site..but here are some to start with, that give the *other* (or perhaps real?) side of the story

www.prisonplanet.com
www.truthout.org

and there are some forums as well

Also next time ask that brother where he got his information. I would be interested to see those sites too...

- Qatada -
12-01-2005, 12:28 AM
wa alykum a Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

if its a muslim brother, i think its better if you put forward ayah's/verses from the qur'an to support your answers insha Allaah:

http://www.--------------/quran/

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh/

hoping4jannah
12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
:sl:

Why dont you try this website. http://dahrjamailiraq.com/

Dahr Jamail is a non-embedded journalist who covers events from inside Iraq. His articles, videos, pictures and interviews are truly amazing and really give us the true picture of what's happening in Iraq. We all know BBC and CNN, and all other American news media only spread lies and propaganda. Any person who thinks otherwise is truly naive (oh thats a euphimism for 'plainly stupid'..)

yes sister, I think it really is important for each of us to know the facts, get to know our history, and the reality of the lies and the injustices being meted out. Not only that, we should be ready and prepared to explain them to some ignorant ones, and be able to defend the honour and the blood of our brothers and sisters.. It's the LEASt we can do.

Why dont we take some time out. Read. Understand. Learn. Picture what we can say, so we are not caught off guard.

May Allah give the muslimeen sabr, strength and victory. Aameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MetSudaisTwice
12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
salam
mashallah well said sis
jazakallah for the link
wasalam

Muslimah81
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
JazakhAllah for the websites everyone. :)

Muezzin
12-01-2005, 08:19 PM
You know, relying on websites really doesn't make you look very credible when the people you are arguing against are using the BBC.

I propose a new strategy - read a broadsheet.

minaz
12-01-2005, 08:26 PM
That's rich coming from a guy who gains all his knowledge from the back of a Mars bar! :p
Nah best way of gaining knowledge of current affairs is through channel 4 news and newsnight :statisfie

Muslimah81
12-01-2005, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
You know, relying on websites really doesn't make you look very credible when the people you are arguing against are using the BBC.

I propose a new strategy - read a broadsheet.
What like the Telegraph or The Times?

Muezzin it seems you have given me an answer which is fit for the 'Muezzin and Minaz: Masters of Might, Magic and Monday Mornings' thread :p

No, on a more serious note I have some reservations quoting from websites like prisonplanet because this brother will say I am quoting from biased sources! I felt like pulling my hair out when he said that I was obsessed with conspiracy theories.

Brother akhee I think your suggestion is the best of all - quote from the Quran……..inshaAllah if this brother I am debating with is true at heart he will understand my argument.

wasaalaam

Halima
12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
:sl: Thread moved :w:

ABWAN
12-02-2005, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
wa alykum a Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

if its a muslim brother, i think its better if you put forward ayah's/verses from the qur'an to support your answers insha Allaah:

http://www.--------------/quran/

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh/

Assalamu alaikum wr wb

I would suggest anyone to stay away from all those "alislam" websites.. Make one typo and you will end up in a site with a totally different interpretation. weird but every sect (call it whatever) in islam prefers this name for their website

mehnaz
12-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Salaam,

...thanks for the websites every1...

FiAmanillah

quran4me
12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
salams sis the best website is islamicthinkers.com insha allah u can get ur information from there it is very benifecial.

wa salam

Caliphate
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Salam alikom Ya ukhti Muslimah81

I am not sure if you are an arabic speaking sister, but I will give you a very good wesbite you can use to follow the events of the world.

www.memritv.org

You can watch videos about things going on in the muslim world revealed by muslims experts, journalists and thinkers, they speak arabic but there will be english subtitles as well.

Also try: www.khilafah.com

www.khilafah.net for arabic

Fi amaniAllah

Z
12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Salaam.

Why did you even fall into a debate with a guy anyway?

Daoud
12-09-2005, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
Nah best way of gaining knowledge of current affairs is through channel 4 news and newsnight :statisfie
they rock!

John Snow for PM

Muezzin
12-10-2005, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daoud
they rock!

John Snow for PM
I'd vote for him.

If he gave me some of his ties first.

And read broadsheets, they're good and better than the Mirror which is crap.

minaz
12-12-2005, 10:30 PM
hey The Mirror is great - 3AM RULES! But yeh broadsheets are the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.