/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you say '...' in somali?

Pages : [1] 2

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 01:55 PM
:sl: wa Rahmatullâhi wa Barakâthu..

I'm very interested in the somali language, so can someone inshâ'Allâh translate these words for me, jazak Allâhu khayr..

Bax is like go away, f*** off or sumin' like that right?
How do you say 'Shut up'..
'How's it going?'
'My name is..'
'Call me'
'Dog'
'Boy'
'Girl'
'No'
'Son'
'Daughter'
'1'
'2'
'3'
'Are you hungry?'
'You're so sweet'
'Honey'
'I like you'
'Listen'
'Look'

Qurux has something to do with beautiful right?
What does 'gacaliso' mean?
'macaanto'

Barak Allâhu fiikum..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khaldun
12-03-2005, 02:19 PM
:sl:

Im happy to see that you have a interest in the somali language, although im not the most ideal person to give a translation here is something short inshAllah (just remember the spelling is not supposed to be accurate).

Bax - Is not a swear word, it just means "go away" it could sometimes be understood abit forcefully though (a direct command)

How is it going? - Im not sure in what context you mean but "See Tahay" literally means 'How are you'

My name is - "Maga'y wa..."

Call me - "Isoo Wa' "

Dog - "Eyy"

Boy - "Weel"

Girl - "Gabar"

No - "May" ( N.B not pronounced as the english month though)

Son - "Walad" (perhaps someone could give a more specific 'somali' word)

Daughter - Proving abit more tricky then I thought :confused:

1 - "Hal" (again the 'a' sound is different)

2 - "Labo"

3 - "Sadeeh"

Are you hungry? - "Ma Bahantahay?"

You are so sweet - This word went out of my head sorry :phew

Honey - "Malab" (The one that you eat, NOT a person you love)

I love you - "Waan Ku Ja'lahay"

Listen - "Maqal"

Look - "Firi"

Qurux means Beauty, the second word you typed I cant really figure it out sorry. Macaanto means sweety.

Hope that helps abit, btw when i was typing that i realised that the english vowels specially 'a' and 'i' are not pronounced the same way. So for the last word "Look" in arabic you would spell it a Faa with a kasrah and a Raa with a Kasrah. Maybe I just confused people more, sorry.

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Im happy to see that you have a interest in the somali language, although im not the most ideal person to give a translation here is something short inshAllah (just remember the spelling is not supposed to be accurate).

Barak Allâhu fiik wa Jazak Allâhu khayr akhee.. Do you know anyplace online where I can learn somali?

Honey - "Malab" (The one that you eat, NOT a person you love).
I didn't mean the eat-honey, I meant when you say honey to a person.. :)

How is it going? - Im not sure in what context you mean but "See Tahay" literally means 'How are you'.
Yeah I meant 'How are you'.. I just forgot how to say it in english.. Whopsi! :giggling:

Macaanto means sweety.
So if I say abaayo macaanto, then it means sweet sister? & the same if I say aboowe macaanto?

Hope that helps abit, btw when i was typing that i realised that the english vowels specially 'a' and 'i' are not pronounced the same way. So for the last word "Look" in arabic you would spell it a Faa with a kasrah and a Raa with a Kasrah. Maybe I just confused people more, sorry.
Ohh okaaay, shukran, it helped alot.. :sister:

Khaldun
12-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Im sorry i dont know of any online facilities to learn somali...

As for the honey question, I cant think of an approapriate word sorry again....lol

You could say abaayo macanto but for aboowe its macanow not macanto.

Wa iyaaki

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hisbul_Aziz
12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
honey=malab
nm i get it

Hisbul_Aziz
12-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Dog - "Eyy".
or it could just be A:w:

Hisbul_Aziz
12-03-2005, 03:24 PM
honey=hoono:w:

*If anyone wants to learn words in somali write em down*

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 03:49 PM

Barak Allâhu fiikum, inshâ'Allâh..

Dad - is that aboo or abaa???
and mom is it hoyoo or xoyoo? i always forget that..

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 03:50 PM

oh yeah, another one.. kiss/kiss me, aint that something like ma' or??

Muezzin
12-03-2005, 04:08 PM
What does 'Bah' mean?

I hear enough Somalis saying that and I'm like '...yeah'

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 04:13 PM

Bah/Bax/Ba7 - Go Away

Hisbul_Aziz
12-03-2005, 04:13 PM
In Somali X Sounds Like H
And Kiss It Could Be Dunko
Or Ma' As U Said
wasalam

sonz
12-03-2005, 04:25 PM
aasalama

alot of somalis in my neighbour

they also say ba7 alot but the h is like when you say the h in alhamdullah

chk out this page http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...ethod=2&gwp=13
http://somalinet.com/library/dictionary/

its language with alot of arabic and italian and english words

masalama

Muezzin
12-03-2005, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ms. Amira

Bah/Bax/Ba7 - Go Away

Figures.

I have that effect on people. :p

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 06:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Figures.

I have that effect on people. :p
LMAO!

halked joogtaa <-- What does this mean?

Silver Pearl
12-03-2005, 06:55 PM
LMAO!

halked joogtaa <-- What does this mean?

Where are you i believe

:w: warahmatullahi wabarakatu7

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 08:48 PM

interesing... in dis topic i can find out who is somali and not!!!

Im here 2 help 2 ...

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 09:09 PM

How do you say: 'I miss you Ayaan! When are you gonna visit me again? Give your mom salam from me!' lol..

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 09:13 PM

der u go sistaa

'I miss you Ayaan----> waan kuu xiisaay Ayaanay

When are you gonna visit me again-----> goor maad ii iimanaaysaah

Give your mom salam from me!---> kii kuu salaam hoyonaah

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister In Islam

der u go sistaa

'I miss you Ayaan----> waan kuu xiisaay Ayaanay

When are you gonna visit me again-----> goor maad ii iimanaaysaah

Give your mom salam from me!---> kii kuu salaam hoyonaah

Barak Allâhu fiiki abaayo ;):D

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jannah
:confused: :confused:
yaa sistaa
u can also say

hoyo ii kuu salaam...

Umm Yoosuf
12-03-2005, 10:35 PM
yaa sistaa
u can also say

hoyo ii kuu salaam...
Yeah thats more like it :)

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Yeah thats more like it :)
i was confused coz more of da sentence is aff xamarii... e.g da sista called me abayoo.. dat is why did few changes...:nervous:

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 10:42 PM

When ur from somaliland(?????) you say walaal or sumin instead of abaayo eh?

Umm Yoosuf
12-03-2005, 10:43 PM
i was confused coz more of da sentence is aff xamarii... e.g da sista called me abayoo.. dat is why did few changes...:nervous:
I see...aff Xamarii is much more relaxed...the tone is more settled:)

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 10:45 PM

yaa and lets 4get about dat.,..:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Umm Yoosuf
12-03-2005, 10:48 PM

I use both :) although more of walaal...they still mean the same:)

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 10:48 PM
yaa and lets 4get about dat.,..:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
Loq, why?

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Loq, why?
i think u will be confused ...then u gana say i hate dis language:enough!: :enough!: and i dont want u 2 hate ,,,, it's a sweet language...:) :)

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 10:55 PM

ohhhh i don't think that.. i've wanted to learn somali ever since 2nd grade when the first somali girl moved to our town, to MY class and became MY friend.. :D
what is spoken most? the kind from somaliland or just somalia?? and urhh, why is it called somaliland?? couldn't they just stick to somalia?

Uma Rayanah
12-03-2005, 10:59 PM
:enough!: :enough!: :enough!:
i have 2 agree with u sistaa

:enough!: :enough!: :enough!:

sistaa it's 222222222 much and i cant explain...

dat is y i siad let keep it:nervous:

Noor
12-04-2005, 02:00 AM

Oh the Somali Language...:)

Djiboutian version of somali is far better;D . Favourite word is cat! Yanyoor!!!! We say Biiset, which sounds better but yanyoor always puts a smile on my face:)

I do have to say, 'I love you' in somali sounds like a death threat. Wan Koo ( don't know how to spell the rest) One time, during ramadan I was at the masjid staying overnight. This little kid was bothering me the whole night for me to tell him a swear word in somali. So I told him, I love you in somali and he believed me. He was screaming I love you the whole night to everyone he saw. The next night, right as I stepped in, he said in a really mad face, I hate you in somali. I guess some kid told him he was saying I love you instead of a cuss word. really funny. Imagine little kid screaming Naya Wan Koo....:)

Uma Rayanah
12-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Salaamu Alaykum

walaalo sidaana loo qoraa "I love you" in Somali " waan Ku Jecelahay", waan ka Xumahay waxa Ku dhacay Wiilka yar, probably he kept saying....waan ku necebahay......which means I hate you! Starting from Today..I will be your Somali Teacher........ any students raise your hands dont be shy..its only &#163;5 a week, My personal bank details will fellow shortly and the registration forms.

May Allah keep us on the right path.

Salaam

Pinkrose
12-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Once we went to the masjid and I met this somali sister and she was really sweet mashallah!! That was the first time i think that i ever met with a somali!! And we started to talk and get to know each other better!! Well anyway i said sumthing that i guess she either thought was funny or cool cuz' she laughed and at the same time said sumthin' in somali that i really don't remember real good!! And i don't think that i can right it!! It sounded cool though and when i asked her what it meant she didn't tell me!! She just said its sumthin you say when you think
sumthin is cool!! :confused: :confused: :confused: I was like *Okaaay*:confused: But i am still wondering what it means!!
I want to try and right it!! I probably wont' spell it right since i don't know how to right in somali but i want ya'll to tell me what it means k? :)

I think it goes sumthin' like: *Isee sisintah*:confused: Unsure bout the spelling but i think thats how it sounded!! :sister:

Umm Yoosuf
12-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh the Somali Language...

Djiboutian version of somali is far better . Favourite word is cat! Yanyoor!!!! We say Biiset, which sounds better but yanyoor always puts a smile on my face

I do have to say, 'I love you' in somali sounds like a death threat. Wan Koo ( don't know how to spell the rest) One time, during ramadan I was at the masjid staying overnight. This little kid was bothering me the whole night for me to tell him a swear word in somali. So I told him, I love you in somali and he believed me. He was screaming I love you the whole night to everyone he saw. The next night, right as I stepped in, he said in a really mad face, I hate you in somali. I guess some kid told him he was saying I love you instead of a cuss word. really funny. Imagine little kid screaming Naya Wan Koo....

Loq sister Noor:)

Yanyoor!!!!
Really that's how they say cat?:coolious: *Repeating Yanyoor*

Salaamu Alaykum

walaalo sidaana loo qoraa "I love you" in Somali " waan Ku Jecelahay", waan ka Xumahay waxa Ku dhacay Wiilka yar, probably he kept saying....waan ku necebahay......which means I hate you! Starting from Today..I will be your Somali Teacher........ any students raise your hands dont be shy..its only £5 a week, My personal bank details will fellow shortly and the registration forms.

Salaam
hehehehe

waan ka Xumahay waxa Ku dhacay Wiilka yar
:eek: really

I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do to the Kid:coolious: :coolious:

Umm Safiya
12-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Salaamu Alaykum

walaalo sidaana loo qoraa "I love you" in Somali " waan Ku Jecelahay", waan ka Xumahay waxa Ku dhacay Wiilka yar, probably he kept saying....waan ku necebahay......which means I hate you! Starting from Today..I will be your Somali Teacher........ any students raise your hands dont be shy..its only £5 a week, My personal bank details will fellow shortly and the registration forms.

Salaam
*RAISES MY HANDS* ME ME ME ME, pick meeeeeee..:coolious:

What does ferii means? i always hear somalis say it..

n, about bax.. a sister told me that it just means away/gone not go away, cus you can say it to children when they cant find their stuff and sayin it in a suprisingly/questioning way bax..???????

ma'salâma..

Khaldun
12-06-2005, 10:20 AM

My personal bank details will fellow shortly and the registration forms.
And I'll be your english teacher loq

Uma Rayanah
12-06-2005, 02:25 PM
*RAISES MY HANDS* ME ME ME ME, pick meeeeeee..:coolious:

What does ferii means? i always hear somalis say it..

n, about bax.. a sister told me that it just means away/gone not go away, cus you can say it to children when they cant find their stuff and sayin it in a suprisingly/questioning way bax..???????

ma'salâma..
Here 2 help:sister:

We somalin beeing rude is running in our blood :giggling:

BAX--> it meanz Away.. however we say

Nayaa Bax or waryaa Bax which mean in other word

OI U GURL GO AWAY
OR OI YOU BOY GO AWAY

Umm Safiya
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM

Somali is such a funny language.. I fell in love with it the first time I heard two somalis talking.. I thought they was arguing and I asked my friend, 'Why are they yelling?' She said, Yelling? What are you talking about? That's how we talk.. COOL MAYYYN!
Anyways, feeri/fiiri means what? And if I wanna say, 'Hey beautiful' do I say Hey/haye qurux or quruxlay.. and is it quruxlow when its for guys?

jazakallah khayr

Khaldun
12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Feeri means "Look" People always tell me somali is so quick like we're rushing it :confused: khair inshAllah

sonz
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
salama

i dun want to round rasist lol but somali people look different than rest of afrikan people

could someone explain why??

Umm Yoosuf
12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
salama

i dun want to round rasist lol but somali people look different than rest of afrikan people

Maybe because Allah created us that way:p

Muezzin
12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
salama

Because they're from a different country in Africa? :p

But seriously, people from different countries do look different. A Greek doesn't necessarily look the same as an Englishman, for instance.

Halima
12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
salama

That is an interesting observation that I myself have noticed about the Somalian people. Indeed, they do look a tad bit different than the rest of the African people. The Somalians have wavier hair, and they are lighter in complexion. Possibly the reason why Somalians look different than other Africans is because they may have perhaps married a different race, therefore their children have developed a lighter skin tone. I would like to point out that the Somlian people are well known for their outer-racial marriages, especially since they might marry some people from upper Africa, which beings Eygpt, Morroco, Algeria, and Ethiopia. They marry people from there, therefore their children being not to look as dark as their parents originally was.

sonz
12-08-2005, 10:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
That is an interesting observation that I myself have noticed about the Somalian people. Indeed, they do look a tad bit different than the rest of the African people. The Somalians have wavier hair, and they are lighter in complexion. Possibly the reason why Somalians look different than other Africans is because they may have perhaps married a different race, therefore their children have developed a lighter skin tone. I would like to point out that the Somlian people are well known for their outer-racial marriages, especially since they might marry some people from upper Africa, which beings Eygpt, Morroco, Algeria, and Ethiopia. They marry people from there, therefore their children being not to look as dark as their parents originally was.
thats what i was talking about and u answered my q :coolious: :coolious:

masalama

Noor
12-10-2005, 07:16 AM

Africa is a continent with over 800 million human inhabitants in 54 countries. This question is as ridiculous as me asking you why chinese people look different than the rest of the Asian people.

The question you probably have in mind is why Somalis have features like the white man when Africans are known to have wide noses, big lips and a dark complexion. This very notion is condtioned with the discriminatory ideas provided by the oppressor. With a plain eye, one is able to see that Africa is a unique CONTINENT, which has a population people that are different colour, size, shape, form, language, religion, culture,....etc.

Somalia, like many countries in Africa, has people which may look different from one another. There are wide nose, big lip. dark complexion men/women in Somalia as well as straight hair, pointy nose, light complexion Somali men/women. The image of Somali people is not limited to the likes of Iman. You will be able to see such diversity in Africa, with human beings that are not determined by one stereotyped image. Someone in Cameroon,Sierra Leone or Morroco can be mistaken for a Somali. In fact, thats the true beauty of the African people.

Durrah
12-10-2005, 04:15 PM

Your not somali are you?

I'm somali sis and let me tell ya sis, thats BS.

It has got nothing to do with interracial/intracultral marriage. Only somalis in the west have interracially/intraculturally married and they're few and far between. Somalis living in somalia marry other somalis almost 99% of the time. Some of our familes dont allow their children to marry into different tribes who are also somali and your talking about different races. lol.

Sis Noor got it spot on with her brillant post! (Mashallah sis Noor :loving: ) and i cant add anymore to that.

Durrah
12-10-2005, 04:23 PM

BTW, Brother Sonz, are you asian (as in south asian- indian, pakistani or bangladeshi)

I say that because its generally asian ppl over here (u.k) always ask us somalis why we're 'different looking' from other africans.

Muezzin
12-10-2005, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Durrah

BTW, Brother Sonz, are you asian (as in south asian- indian, pakistani or bangladeshi)

I say that because its generally asian ppl over here (u.k) always ask us somalis why we're 'different looking' from other africans.
Mmm, those kind of asian people are generally fools though. There's still a lot of racism towards black people, especially coming from the asian community, because the asian community still has a lot of proud, ignorant idiots in it.

I'm Asian by the way (Pakistani), before I get warned for being racist or something :p

Khaldun
12-10-2005, 06:18 PM

Please do not refer to members posts as BS, as this is offensive, if you dont agree just say you dont agree no need for saying other peoples posts are BS.

JazzakAllah Khair

Halima
12-10-2005, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Durrah

Your not somali are you?

It doesn't matter what my race is.

It has got nothing to do with interracial/intracultral marriage. Only somalis in the west have interracially/intraculturally married and they're few and far between. Somalis living in somalia marry other somalis almost 99% of the time.

.......and who do you think Somalias will possibly marry when they are in the west? Do you actually think that they will not some way or another marry either a westerner or a christian because they are soo far away from their home? There are millions of somalians that immigrate to different countries. It's just like a black person marrying a white person and they both end up having a mixed child.

Some of our familes dont allow their children to marry into different tribes who are also somali and your talking about different races. lol.

I was talking about the ones that do let their children marry into different tribes. I'm not somlian either but I can certainly tell you that not 100% of somalian families marry their children into different tribes, because that is certainly not true.

yusuf musa
12-10-2005, 06:35 PM
mashallah sister im happy ur interested in af somali inshallah u will learn.
do u have alot of somali friends ora large somali sommunity in ur area

Muhammad
12-10-2005, 06:47 PM

Masha'Allaah it's nice to see members learning new languages!

As a hopefully helpful idea in this thread, I was thinking somebody could do like a transliteration of the somali alphabet, because when you write in somali, I understand that the letter sounds do not all correspond to those in English? So to help people read and pronounce correctly, it might be a good idea for someone to explain it Insha'Allaah.

Umm Safiya
12-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Grammar
The grammatical categories of Somali are:

Noun
Pronoun
Verb
Adjective
Preposition
Determiner
Focus word
Classifier
Conjunction
Somali has some grammatical categories which are not found in many other languages, for example the focus word or the focalization phenomenon which concerns those elements in the formation of the sentence which indicate where the intention or the interest or the focus is located in the phrase.

The words baa, ayaa, and waxaa put the focus on nouns and noun phrases.

Example:

John baa baxay - John Focus (baa) went out
John ayaa baxay - John Focus (ayaa) went out
Waxaa baxay John - Focus (waxaa) went out John
Thus, the words baa, ayaa, and waxaa unconsciously raise the question of who went out? Therefore the noun.

Somali also has the word waa which puts the focus on verbs and verb phrases.

Example:

John waa baxay John Focus (waa) went out

Waa is different from other previous one we have just seen, because it raises the question of what did John do? Therefore the verb.

Writing system
It had no written alphabet as late as 1972 (apart from occasional proposals, such as Osmanya), but the government changed this, for a literacy program and introduced the Latin alphabet. This sets it apart from the languages near it, which either use the Amharic or the Arabic alphabet.

Before the colonial period, educated Somalis and religious fraternities used the Arabic language. It is also evidenced from material discovered in 1940, mainly ancient letters and tomb inscriptions, that the Somali language was written with the Arabic alphabet, just like the Urdu and Persian languages. But it was not certainly "codified" and questions remains about how its use was widespread. Further investigation is required.

The Somali latin alphabet is:

B, T, J, X, KH, D, R, S, SH, DH, C, G, F, Q, K, L, M, N, W, H, Y. (To be noted the absence of consonants P, V, Z for obvious reasons.)

Also, it has short vowels A, E, I, O, U, and long vowels AA, EE, II, OO, UU.

The consonants C, DH, KH, Q and X have totally different sounds from the classic Latin one. Therefore it is not a direct interpretation of the Latin alphabet, as is common in its use.

Source = http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...ethod=2&gwp=13

Anyways, as far as I know, the x is pronounced like ح, like alxamdulillah or subxanallah (Right?) and a word like macaanto, then the c is like ع, so it's ma'aanto or ma3anto (I THINK!)..

Lol.. Maybe I shouldn't be the one trying to explain the language! I'll shut up now.. :D

Durrah
12-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Khaldun: aight bruv.

Muzzien:I aint gonna get into the whole asian/black racism ish, but yea your right. Funny thing is though, these guys are like our generation. I'd expect that ish from elders/adults, not from born-bred u.k kids. It still shocks me when i hear my young bruvs + sisters from your regions saying that stuff that are way out of line. The whole muslim unity thing aint gunna get anywhere if people still chat/think like that.

Halima:
Your race doesnt matter per se, but it explains the explanation about somalis that you came up with because it was compltely untrue. Even the most out of touch somali wouldnt of come out with such an ill informed answer. It was really an ignorant statement to make and an offensive one at that.

.......and who do you think Somalias will possibly marry when they are in the west? Do you actually think that they will not some way or another marry either a westerner or a christian because they are soo far away from their home? There are millions of somalians that immigrate to different countries. It's just like a black person marrying a white person and they both end up having a mixed child.

I dont know what your getting at here. Personally im not bothered who my fellow countrymen/women marry as long as their muslim. But i was stating FACT love. Somalis generally marry somalis. Like Arabs mostly marry arabs. Like Asians marry asians. Its not rocket science. Yes, those who have emigrated like myself and live in multi racial societies are exposed to people from other cultures and races and some of them are bound to marry a person of another culture. In Somalia however, where the MAJORITY of somalis live, there are very few non somalis living in the country. So racial mixing doesnt go on that much because they are hardly any other races there. So you theory is flawed because most of the somali population come from 2 somali parent familes and not 1 somali parent/mixed raced familes and have done for generations so.

I was talking about the ones that do let their children marry into different tribes.
very few. Somalia is still divided by Tribilsim. Why do you think our country is so poor and desturcted. All to do with Triblism and the wars that have been fought for it. The mentality is still there back home. A few familes in the west are more englighted, but still even in our communties in the west, theres still a divide. Again, from an outside perspective people dont see that. Familes still look down on other tribes, thinking theirs is superior and triying to pass that ish to their kids. Thankfully our generation are rejecting the old ways.

Anyways i dont know how we wound up talking about this, but if you look at SISTER NOOR's post, you'll see the answer. She was right. It has nothing to interacial marriage. Like she said, people have racist sterotype notions of all africans having corse hair, wide noses, very dark skin and because the somalis that some people have seen dont fit in that conventional steretype, you come up with some theroy that its down to somalis marrying other races. When in actually fact, you'll find many people in both north and south of somalia looking like west africans and see many other africans looking like us. Africa is diverse. The continent speaks for itself. Visit it and you'll see that.

We have some simalatires with Ethopians though, because parts of Somalia was once conjoined with Ethopia, being in the horn of africa. Plus our people are simalar as we both have Kushtic orgins, so our language, hertiage, looks are simalar along with the Ertierans as well. Ethopia also occupy regions of Somalia, so does Kenya and France (Djobuti) which were all once part of our country. Many of the orginal somalis are still in those parts and have been there for generations and with time, some of peole have merged together and adopted things from the occuping countries.

Anyways, its nice to see people interested in our language. Somali is not really hard (well the northern dialect isnt lol- no offense to reer xamars :smile: I love you all :peace: ) And Somali is written as to how it sounds- Phonetic, which makes it simple once you know how the alaphet sounds. Its always funny though hearing non somalis speak somali.

I remember, me and my friend used to teach the kids in our class somali, and all they wanted to know were the swear words. Anyways we taught them a few and and a couple decided to test it out on random somalis they saw on the street LOL. It was soo funny because one of them got clocked and they were scared stiff that they'd get knocked out LOL. They're reactions were soo funny :giggling:

Quruxbadaan
12-11-2005, 12:02 AM
asalaamu alaikum sister halima
masha allah wonderful post but i gotta tell ya the reason why somali's look different from the rest of african people isint simply because of interacial marriages, this is something that has just surfaced recently i have to disagree with u because firstly the offspring from interacial marriages do not account for the entire somali nation but only a small percentage there for how is it possible for one to come to such a conclution secondly sister as a somali i have experienced the pressure of tribalistic family members and know that it isint easy even today here in the west for a somali sister to marry a nonsomali ...the majority of somali families here in the west are very seriouse about keeping their culture and feel threatened by allowing their daughters to marry other than their own kind so the fact that we look different cannot be summed up to the notion that it is due to the inter racial marriages that have become frequent in todays time
maa salaama

halwa
12-11-2005, 02:20 AM

Barak Allâhu fiikum, inshâ'Allâh..

Dad - is that aboo or abaa???
and mom is it hoyoo or xoyoo? i always forget that..

i think it would be much better for you to hear the pronounciation correctly coz it sounds very differently when you hear the words.

dad= aabe
mum= hooyo

good luck in learning the somali language.:)

Halima
12-11-2005, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Quruxbadaan
asalaamu alaikum sister halima
masha allah wonderful post but i gotta tell ya the reason why somali's look different from the rest of african people isint simply because of interacial marriages, this is something that has just surfaced recently i have to disagree with u because firstly the offspring from interacial marriages do not account for the entire somali nation but only a small percentage there for how is it possible for one to come to such a conclution secondly sister as a somali i have experienced the pressure of tribalistic family members and know that it isint easy even today here in the west for a somali sister to marry a nonsomali ...the majority of somali families here in the west are very seriouse about keeping their culture and feel threatened by allowing their daughters to marry other than their own kind so the fact that we look different cannot be summed up to the notion that it is due to the inter racial marriages that have become frequent in todays time
maa salaama

Jazakhallah Khairun thank you sister for the kinder words of dialouging with me I tend to stick to people that are more softer in their words when they want to get their point through. As for the somlais yes sister I totally agree that they do not want to let their culture go, because it is just like an Arab culture whereas it is a very conservative society.

Alhamdulilah it is so much better to retain your culture and not get involved with the other cultures to an extreme measure. One has to keep pride of their own culture/tribe even if its in the dumps. No one has to have a reason not to be proud of their own culture because for God's sakes that is where your parents came from and if you were not to be proud of your culture/ tribe then you would not be proud of your parents. This is how I look at it.

Nevertheless I humbly agree that Somalis have a conservative culture when indeed the fathers will be redundant and vigilant about marrying off their daughters to a foreign culture. I absolutely agree with this. In addition to this, the majority of somalis I would say are muslims therefore they already stand in the boundaries of obeying the Islamic marriage rules and the tenets of the faith. Nonethless I'm aware of Somalis, I have a limited knowledge about them, and I look foward to dialouging with you in hopes of learning more about the Somalian culture.:sister:

Quruxbadaan
12-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Asalamu Alaikum
masha allah thats great news to hear that u have interest in learning about somalis to be honest sister halima im not soooooooo amazingly educated about the depths and the origin of the somalis because i myself have been raised in the west (north america) alhumdulillah i speak somali fluenty and havent forgotten. Actually i speak a slightly differnt dialect origionally my family and i are from djibouti where 60% of the nations population are somalis so the dialect is a little different. its interesting to me how alot of people both somali and non somali seem to believe that dibouti

( which got its independance from FRANCE as recently as 1977) and somalia were one country at some point in time.THis is not true its a myth that a large amount of people believe to be truth.....its a controvercial topic tho but im as sure as the sun rose over my head this morning :) lol ive been in many heated debates on this topic specifically and it can get really frustrating sis i tell ya
anywhoo it was wonderful to recieve some feed back from u and i look forward to trying to help u understand the somalis (to the best of my knowlegde) hey where are u from maybe we can have a lil exchange of culteral info i love to meet and talk to people from different parts of the world i hope to travel everywhere one day all over africa and the middle east just to see the rest of the world and go back home and bask in the sun insha allah
maa salaama
:)

Halima
12-12-2005, 11:22 PM

How wonderful of you to not forget Somailan, it has truly amazed me how closely you have stuck to the Somalian language even when you are residing in North America. I find it utterly hard to believe that because talking from a cultural perspective many people bound to forget their native language once they emigrate to another country. Not trying to change the subject or anything, however, this phenomenon has occured to my brother on account of him emigrating to North America at merely 2 years old.

Then, he had forgotten his native language and switched to speaking English fluently instead. Under that circumstance, now whenever he goes back home, he has enormous difficulty conversating with friends and relatives. That is why I am proud of you for that dear sister. Your heritage is what counts the most. Nevertheless you are born with it and then you will die with it.

As for Somalia, I do know that it is a country in Africa, but what is the culture like over there? Is the culture more like an Arab culture? I would guess so because just like any culture that derives from Islam would be conversative yes? Therefore I would imagine the Somalians to be a bit conservative in society as it has been for thousand and thousands of years. This relates alot to me because I was orginally born in North America, although my parents are not American. They still hold on to their culture. Unlike me, I have grown and adapted to a different part of culture that is somewhat foreign to them.

My parents are Shuwa-Arab. Let me explain that to you. It's a minority tribe that's in Nigeria. This tribe has emigrated from Eygpt/Sudan to Nigeria for thousands and thousands of years. The shuwa people are Arabs. They are Normadic Arabs that move from place to place until they find a place to reside in. Now, my parents' parents found Nigeria to reside in. It is quite a shame I only have one Somalian friend and I rarely see her. I truly believe that if I have more then I will know more about the Somalian culture hence the langauge. I can go on and on but are you familiar with the Sudanese culture?

karim
12-12-2005, 11:58 PM

i could talk in somali and understand but i cant read and rite

Quruxbadaan
12-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum

thank u so very much sister halima it wasnt easy keeping hold of somali it isint an easy language and still im not as good as i would like to be but alhumdulillah for what little i have alhumdulillah anywhoo i dont know much about sudanese culture but i know two sisters who are from sudan and i love them both so much they are the sweetest girls i know such good akhlaq ( what i call manners) both of them are sweeties and they seem to be such caring sisters and they can cooookkk sudanese food is great but unfortunately i dont know much about the culture also i was going to marry a brother last year who was married to a sudanese sister and than i stopped myself because i felt bad that this brother who was already married was trying to persue me i sort of felt bad for her because i figured that she may be hurt to hear that her husband found a younger wife and she may feel disrespected and decieved so I pardoned myself she was a very nice sister masha allah please tell me about sudanese culture i would love to hear sista
maa salaama

Quruxbadaan
12-13-2005, 02:28 AM
asalaamu alaikum

no wait u said ur from nigera this is a dumb question but
sudanese people live in nigeria???lol
maa salaama

Halima
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Don't you worry about it sister, it is not a dumb question. However, just remember this..if you don't ask a question or if you are in doubt of something and you don't ask, that makes you the fool. Back to your question, indeed it is very true that sudanese people live in Nigeria. There's over 250 different languages that currently exist in Nigeria today.

There are currently over 100 tribes that live in Nigeria aswell. At least 3 major tribes in my mom's village alone. So that right there tells you how many different tribes emigrate to Nigeria. Subhanallah. Come to think of it, I have a hard time to communicate with my relatives due to the various languages that nigeria has to offer. In Nigeria, English is the official language however people are still fluent in their native language. That language is Hausa.

In this language the majority of the Nigerians know how to sOver there in Nigeria at least every person knows 3 or more languages. There are Sudanese people that do indeed live in Nigeria, however they still speak it. Even the people that have emigrated to Nigeria knows how to speak it. This is where I have flaws. The language that is native to me is English hence being raised in North America. retain their native language.

sonz
12-18-2005, 03:14 PM
salama

i think Durrah is very rude

i only asked simply q and i get attacked :confused: :confused: :confused:

thnx mod for answer

Halima
12-18-2005, 03:51 PM
salama

i think Durrah is very rude.i only asked simply q and i get attack

Yeah I agree.

A reminder: Members are not supposed to attack other members, because everyone has different opinons. As a matter of fact this goes with Li rule #9 that was violated.

Reminder to all other members

9. Beef will not be tolerated in any forum. Differences in opinion are expected, but please debate respectfully. (Beef are comments made for the purpose of insulting somebody else with negative intent, looking for a negative reaction, or blatantly insulting somebody) 15-25% warning

As you can see, this can even get you a warning as high as 15-25. Members please think before you post.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sonz

thnx mod for answer

Please by all means if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We are an open environment that will help you to seek answers. (inshAllah)

yusuf musa
12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
are there any famous somali sheiks from somalia?

kadafi
12-21-2005, 10:57 PM

Well, you could find some of their material on this site:
http://www.altaqwaa.com/

There is a whole site dedicated to Shaykh Boqolsoon (may Allaah have mercy on him). The url is:

http://www.boqolsoon.com/

Noor
12-21-2005, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yusuf musa
are there any famous somali sheiks from somalia?

Considering that you're from Toronto, if you are looking for awesome somali sheiks, just go to Khalid Bin Walid mosque. or you can visit their website; http://www.khalidmosque.com/en/
Sheik Bashir is remarkable and his efforts in improving the somali community is well-acknowledge by everyone. May Allah bless him with khair both in this world and the hereafter. Ameen.

Hisbul_Aziz
12-22-2005, 07:46 PM
The most famous somali sheikh an the one with the most knowledge is Umar farooq but he is not allowed in the US

Ghazi
12-22-2005, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahadeen
The most famous somali sheikh an the one with the most knowledge is Umar farooq but he is not allowed in the US

Care to Elaborate

asma2
12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
well don,t ask ablut that no idea but i would probaly heard my mum saying those two names

hia
12-23-2005, 09:32 PM
lol, somali teaching classes. i think we should set up a centre where people like sister in islam and the other brothers teach, i could be the receptionist.

i have a question for halima, why do sudans call their fellow friends manga? i know its like amigo but why that word instead of sahiib? did you guys want to be different from other arabs or there is a history behind it?. Isn't yoruba the official language? is lagos considered the best part of Nigeria?. sorry to bombard you with too much questions, i have a developed an interest for sudans and nigerian just as sister who posted this post has for somalis. And since your both, lol i won't leave you alone for quiet a while to i get some info!

Halima
12-24-2005, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hia
lol, somali teaching classes. i think we should set up a centre where people like sister in islam and the other brothers teach, i could be the receptionist.

i have a question for halima, why do sudans call their fellow friends manga? i know its like amigo but why that word instead of sahiib? did you guys want to be different from other arabs or there is a history behind it?. Isn't yoruba the official language? is lagos considered the best part of Nigeria?. sorry to bombard you with too much questions, i have a developed an interest for sudans and nigerian just as sister who posted this post has for somalis. And since your both, lol i won't leave you alone for quiet a while to i get some info!

Sure :) feel free to ask me all the questions you have. Curiosity just keeps on going and going (loq)

I dont speak for all people when I say Lagos isn't the best part of Nigeria. Some people may think it is, and some people may think that it's not. However, I have my stong reasons as to why I don't think Lagos is the best part of Nigeria. Lagos is very populaous and a well-known city in Nigeria. I do not want to discourage you, but Lagos is known for it's armed-robberies quite often. For one to live in Lagos they have to be immensely street-wise. Otherwise they will be taken advantage of. Lagos is not no joke.

If a person from Lagos sees that you are coming into the city being naiive, then I must say that you are strikingly up for a huge surprise. Lagos 'used' to be the capital of Nigeria a decade ago.

However, that has changed. Now, Abuja is the capital of Nigeria. I must say that Abuja is the better city to be a capital. It is the exact opposite of Lagos. It is more like a ghost town, and very secluded. Unlike Lagos, Abuja is not loud and is not full of commotion. Lagos is the biggest city in Nigeria. Containing about 2 million people. So compare that to Abuja, (the new city) with only 25 thousand people.

As for the language, Yoruba is not the language for Sudanese. Yoruba is for the south of Nigeria. Sudanese people are more likely to speak Arabic than Yoruba. Yoruba is a language mainly for the christian nigerians. See, in Nigeria, the majority of the people are muslims. So yes indeed, religion takes a huge impact. Hausa is the official language of Nigeria. Amongst the Christians and muslims both. If one cannot speak in Hausa when they are in Nigeria, then they are totally lost. English doesnt even come in second. I have realized that becuase when I went to Nigeria I couldn't speak any other language than English, therefore I couldn't find any one that will take at least one minute to speak English apart from my parents.

I have limited knowledge about the Sudanese people, so as a matter of fact, I dont really know why they call their friends manga. I would think that it is their culture.

liongood9
12-26-2005, 03:53 AM

Bax - Is not a swear word, it just means "go away" it could sometimes be understood abit forcefully though (a direct command)

How is it going? - Im not sure in what context you mean but "See Tahay" literally means 'How are you'

Call me - "Isoo Wa' "

Dog - "Eyy"

Boy - "Weel"

Girl - "Gabar"

2 - "Labo"

3 - "Sadeeh"

Listen - "Maqal"

Look - "Firi"

Qurux means Beauty, the second word you typed I cant really figure it out sorry. Macaanto means sweety.

May does not mean No. The correct way is Maya.

liongood9
12-26-2005, 04:03 AM

My cousins live in Somali. They are reer hamar. And some of the somali's are as white as the arabs and sometimes u mistake them for arab or mexicans.

hia
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
thank you sister that was very informative, but where did i say yoruba was the sudanese language lol. i know sudanese speak arabic, i have always known that my parents took the liberties of teaching me capitals of countries and language thay speak and the name of the money the use(it was torture). i would have never thought sudans lived in nigeria, it seems almost impossible. i use to live in egypt and thats the first time i saw so many sudans on the street. The thing i like i about sudans is the culture is so similar to ours everything from how the women dress to Music.its strange.So are you hoping to reside in sudan one day inshallah? have you ever been there?.

yes your rite curiosity is a neverending thing, in my opinion it educated the cat rather than killed it lol.i would pm you it much easier rather than sabotaging this poor sisters thread but i can't i am a "limited member" . i joined this site long time ago but never had the time to be an active poster.
I hope to hear from you soon inshallah.

Halima
12-28-2005, 03:14 AM

threads merged

Halima
01-03-2006, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hia
thank you sister that was very informative, but where did i say yoruba was the sudanese language lol.

Sorry. I over-analyzed. Forgive me (inshallah)

i know sudanese speak arabic, i have always known that my parents took the liberties of teaching me capitals of countries and language thay speak and the name of the money the use(it was torture). i would have never thought sudans lived in nigeria, it seems almost impossible.

Yep, and alot of them immigrate to Chad :) Amazing phenomenon isn't it?

i use to live in egypt and thats the first time i saw so many sudans on the street. The thing i like i about sudans is the culture is so similar to ours everything from how the women dress to Music.its strange.So are you hoping to reside in sudan one day inshallah? have you ever been there?.

I am really hoping that I would not only reside in Sudan, but in Eypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and even the U.A.E (inshallah.) As for the sudansese music, my mom listens to is ALOOOT. She loves it so much that its like she cannot get enough of it. BTW how is Sudanese music similar to Eyptian music? What is living in Eypgt like? If you don't mind telling me...loq

yes your rite curiosity is a neverending thing, in my opinion it educated the cat rather than killed it lol.i would pm you it much easier rather than sabotaging this poor sisters thread but i can't i am a "limited member" . i joined this site long time ago but never had the time to be an active poster.
I hope to hear from you soon inshallah.

I patiently await your P.M (inshalAllah) :)

swanlake
01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose

Once we went to the masjid and I met this somali sister and she was really sweet mashallah!! That was the first time i think that i ever met with a somali!! And we started to talk and get to know each other better!! Well anyway i said sumthing that i guess she either thought was funny or cool cuz' she laughed and at the same time said sumthin' in somali that i really don't remember real good!! And i don't think that i can right it!! It sounded cool though and when i asked her what it meant she didn't tell me!! She just said its sumthin you say when you think
sumthin is cool!! :confused: :confused: :confused: I was like *Okaaay*:confused: But i am still wondering what it means!!
I want to try and right it!! I probably wont' spell it right since i don't know how to right in somali but i want ya'll to tell me what it means k? :)

I think it goes sumthin' like: *Isee sisintah*:confused: Unsure bout the spelling but i think thats how it sounded!! :sister:

This made me laugh. What she said was 'isii sisinta'. If i were to translate it literally, it means 'give me..' i cant remember what sisin is in English. It is bit like a corn. Anyhow it has nothing to do with sisin but all to do with 'i am impressed girl' remark.

niqaabii
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
how do u s'ay
'ur so sweet' :)

swanlake
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
you are so sweet; Waa macaantahay

To be honest with you, it doesnt sound as nice when you say this someone.

niqaabii
01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
jazakallah sis

Hisbul_Aziz
02-24-2006, 02:35 AM
ask any words u would like to know in somali ;D

Islamicboy
02-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Salamalikum
Isn't somali arabic???
N e ways i want to know what does Islam will dominate mean in somali:?

Haadka-Hawd
02-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Islam will dominate = islamkaa sareeya

by the way nice topic...

Islamicboy, wlc bro, no, somali is a stand alone language that has its garammer, poems and everything a complex language has. But if you really want to learn somali, consider yourself lucky coz somali is read as it is writen... if somalis were to write eenglish for us, they would write 'poeple' as 'peepul' ...lol why we need to 'caablikate' thingz

i hope u get what i mean lol

more info

'x' letter is 'ha' in alhamu-li-laahi...so we write it as (alXamdu li laah)
'c' letter is 'a' ' salaamu a'laykum...so we write it as (salaamu Calaykum)

Umm Safiya
02-24-2006, 08:46 AM

If you can't pronounce aboowe, can you then say to a man who is older than yourself, athar or adhar or however its spelled.. Ya know, uncle.. That's the word I'm tryna spell.. 'Cause, I've been in a place where there was only somali's, so they were speaking somali all the time.. And I can't remember how aboowe sounds, so can I call him uncle? Sounds nicer than warya ;D

Umm Yoosuf
02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
For respect if he is older then you then yeah (I think) :D

Hisbul_Aziz
02-24-2006, 05:03 PM
adar=Someone that is related to u from ur dad side

abti=from ur mom side

ina abti= a cuzin from ur mom side

ina adar=cuzin from ur dads side

ado= aunt from ur dads side

habaryar= aunt from ur momz side

dumb=doqun

school=dugsi

Kittygyal
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
wot lingo is diz?????

Umm Safiya
02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
wot lingo is diz?????

Somali, as the title says.. :) :thankyou:

Hisbul_Aziz
02-24-2006, 11:38 PM

Somali, as the title says.. :) :thankyou:
lol;D;D;D

Umm Safiya
02-24-2006, 11:38 PM

I've been invited to a somali sisters house, to eat with her fam.. Got any nice sentences I can say for her mom?

And..

Wa macantahay means, you're sweet or something like that, yeh?

Hisbul_Aziz
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
yep

soljah_ov_allah
02-24-2006, 11:45 PM
say "eedo shaahaga waa uraa"....
meanz...aunty..ur tea stinkz!;D ;D ;D

Umm Safiya
02-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Good.. Just making sure I'm not running around saying wrong things to ppl.. :)

How do you call a person beautiful? Not saying, 'you're beautiful'.. But like saying, hey beautiful.. Is it something like quraxlay or low or something?
And what does quruxbadan mean?

Umm Safiya
02-24-2006, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by soljah_ov_allah
say "eedo shaahaga waa uraa"....
meanz...aunty..ur tea stinkz!;D ;D ;D
:giggling: :giggling:

I said NICE sentences.. :rant:

soljah_ov_allah
02-24-2006, 11:52 PM
quruxbadan means beautyful

Umm Yoosuf
02-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I've been invited to a somali sisters house, to eat with her fam.. Got any nice sentences I can say for her mom?

I don't know i can't think of a nice sentence on top of my head right now:rollseyes Maybe you have a sentence in mind- we can translate for you:?

nurul3eyn
02-25-2006, 12:18 AM

And..

Wa macantahay means, you're sweet or something like that, yeh?
ok dnt mind my spelling i'm the worst speller when it comes to som,,,
just say if the food was nice "edo cunada ad aaye umacantahay ee mahasanit edo macan" which means aunt ur food was delicious..thanx sweet aunt..
any1 correct me if am wrong eh

well sis thats the only thing i can think of,, :statisfie

Muhammad
02-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Threads merged.

ummAbdillah
02-25-2006, 01:04 PM
salaam
interesting thread ;D

what does 'warya' and 'naya' mean?

they're like my fav words but i don't evan know what they mean :okay:

ma'salaam

Umm Yoosuf
02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Waryaa = Oi/ Hay for a Brother

Nayaa = Oi/ Hay for a Sister

Hisbul_Aziz
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
:giggling: :giggling:

I said NICE sentences.. :rant:
how bout adoo ina so xaro wayan ;D;D;D

u figure out wat it means

Labaik Ya Allah
02-26-2006, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahideen1

salamu alaikum

abo somalia xagee ka imaday

nurul3eyn
02-27-2006, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahideen1

you not funny at all bro,,,stop misleading her it wont help

Umm Safiya
02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurul3eyn
you not funny at all bro,,,stop misleading her it wont help

What does it mean, what he wrote?:?

Haadka-Hawd
02-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Nothing much Amira, it doesn't make any sence!

by the way, you are too good for a non-somali, and I never seen someone so keen on learing somali...

what do you say about that?

Umm Yoosuf
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
how bout adoo ina so xaro wayan
?????!!!!

Firstly it doesn't make any sense :D

secondly i can work out what your trying to say :D

Thirdly i know your joking about but it's not nice :( (don't teach her things like that :'()

Sister Amira ...what would you like to say to your friends mum? Maybe we can translate it to you :)

Umm Safiya
02-28-2006, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haadka-Hawd
Nothing much Amira, it doesn't make any sence!

by the way, you are too good for a non-somali, and I never seen someone so keen on learing somali...

what do you say about that?
Huh? I didn't get that??

And what do I say about what?

Sorry, english ain't my strongest language! :sister:

Umm Safiya
02-28-2006, 09:33 AM

I found out what it meant.. It wasn't very nice! :offended:

?????!!!!

Firstly it doesn't make any sense :D

secondly i can work out what your trying to say :D

Thirdly i know your joking about but it's not nice :( (don't teach her things like that :'()

Sister Amira ...what would you like to say to your friends mum? Maybe we can translate it to you :)

Hmm, I don't know what I wanna say to her actually.. Something nice, so she'll be happy! She's my future mom-in-law or whatever it's called, so something nice! :statisfie

And.. Fadlan sug xooga means what? :)

nurul3eyn
03-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I found out what it meant.. It wasn't very nice! :offended:

Hmm, I don't know what I wanna say to her actually.. Something nice, so she'll be happy! She's my future mom-in-law or whatever it's called, so something nice! :statisfie

And.. Fadlan sug xooga means what? :)

aw sis you are getting married I’m really happy for you! ... :wub: :wub:

Fadlan=Welcome
sug=Wait

now i dnt know what xooga means i think u spelt it wrong that u meant Xaga

xaga=There
hope u understand sis......:)

Congrats One Cool Sis! I’m really happy for you! ...

kadafi
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Fadlan=Welcome

Actually fadlaan = please. It's an arabic word since there is no 'please' in the somali language.

Hashim_507
03-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Wow!! Somali language, who's the teacher here? I am curious brothers\sisters....

nurul3eyn
03-05-2006, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kadafi

Actually fadlaan = please. It's an arabic word since there is no 'please' in the somali language.

in that case fadlan=please,,,

sorry sis.....for confusin u eh :)

Umm Safiya
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Barak All&#226;hu fikum..
I saw Fadlan sug xooga in that webpage called kartuun or something like that.. So, I guess it means please wait, yeah?

Labaik Ya Allah
03-12-2006, 10:48 PM

can anyone tell me were i can get the national anthem of somalia with the words from

sonz
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labaik Ya Allah

can anyone tell me were i can get the national anthem of somalia with the words from

salama

even though im not somali

i find this very funny lol. i think its somali anthem sung by non somali loooooool

Media Tags are no longer supported

Hinna
03-14-2006, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=Ms. Amira;121813]:sl: wa Rahmatullâhi wa Barakâthu..

Qurux has something to do with beautiful right?
What does 'gacaliso' mean?
'macaanto'

I don't know if you get all your answers yet but "gacaliso" means darling
"dear" is qaali and Macaanto is sweety for female macaane is for male

Hinna
03-14-2006, 11:58 PM

aw sis you are getting married I’m really happy for you! ... :wub: :wub:

Fadlan=Welcome
sug=Wait

now i dnt know what xooga means i think u spelt it wrong that u meant Xaga

xaga=There
hope u understand sis......:)

Congrats One Cool Sis! I’m really happy for you! ...

Xooga mean a little or awhile so that statment Fadlan xooga sug mean please wait for awhile

Umm Safiya
03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
:salamext:

What does this mean:

Ka raadso muxaadarooyin iyo wixii la mid ah altaqwaa Search
Waxaad raadisay: dhalxa waxaa la helay ilaa iyo hadda: 1
Jawaab wixii aad raadisay
Muxaadaro Cawaaiqada Barashada Cilmiga sh. Cadaani abu dhalxa

kadafi
03-29-2006, 02:09 PM
:salamext:

What does this mean:

Ka raadso muxaadarooyin iyo wixii la mid ah altaqwaa Search
Waxaad raadisay: dhalxa waxaa la helay ilaa iyo hadda: 1
Jawaab wixii aad raadisay
Muxaadaro Cawaaiqada Barashada Cilmiga sh. Cadaani abu dhalxa
It rougly means (sorry for bad translation):

Search for lectures etc.

You have searched for 'Dirir'. Total results found: 15

Search results

Lecture Cawaaiqada (aqeedah?) - learning/obtaining (Islaamic) knowledge Shaykh Cadaani Aboo Dhalxa

Sister_6038
03-29-2006, 09:37 PM
lolol the somali language is hilarious my friend and i are always arguing over the words for certain things...:D:D

Umm Safiya
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM

Okay, barak All&#226;hu fik akhee.. :)

Abdullah4ever
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM

Lol there r somalis here... hehe im somali too

MuslimaH~SistaH
04-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah-Of course it's somalis here!:)

MuslimaH~SistaH
04-30-2006, 07:48 PM
This thread is cool!

Umm Safiya
05-01-2006, 12:22 PM

How do you spell 'My name is Amira'? I've only heard it, never read it.. So.. I'm guessing it's something like this: Wa xaala'idhahaa Amira.. But yeah, thats just what I think.. Whats the correct spelling?

And how do you say, are you thirsty?

Shukria
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Salam

I don't understnad some of da Somali words posted up here..I'm wondering is it coz of da different accents or I'm lacking in ma Somali...
By da way I thought Somalis' ancestors were Yemeni....Some1 fill me in, plz...
Wasalaam

Waryaa
05-04-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't know if someone already translated because I hadn't read the whole thread, but here are the correct translations, spellings and correct way of pronunciations.

'Shut up = Aamus [aah-muss]
How's it going? = Maxaa socda [Ma-haa so'da]
My name is... = Magaceyga waxaa waaye... [Maga-eyga wahaa waa-yeh]
Call me = Isoo wac [Esoo wa']
Dog = Eey [Eay]
Boy = Wiil [Weel]
Girl = Gabar [Ga-barr]
No = Maya [Ma-ya]
Son = Wiil [shares same meaning with boy]
Daughter = Gabar [shares same meaning with girl]

1 = Hal
2 = Laba [La-bah]
3 = Sadex [Sa-dah]

Are you hungry? = Baahi maa ku heyso? [Baa-hi maa ku hey-so]
You're so sweet = Aad ayaa u macaantahay [Aad ay-aa u ma'aan-tahay]
Honey = Macaanee/Macaanoow [Ma'aan-ee is addressed to women; ma'aan-oow is addressed to men]

I like you = Waan kaa helay [Waan kaa hel-lay]
Listen = Dhageyso [Dhag-ey-so]
Look = Fiiri [Fee-ri]

ummAbdillah
05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
salaam
thanks waryaa (lool sounds rude init?)
jazak allah khair :)
wa salaam

Sunflower
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
soem pppl say it is rude to call sme1 waryaa...it it bascially means oi but not in the nicest way that it could be said

ummAbdillah
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
waryaa if ok i think
but nayaa
one word: RUDE

city_dweller
05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lovly_lady
waryaa if ok i think
but nayaa
one work: RUDE

there's pretty much no difference b/w "warya" and "naya" other than one is adressed to a male and the latter a female

Sister_6038
05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
at mosque my teacher wasnt somali but he used to call us girls waryaa and we couldnt help but giggle as kids and maaan that stick...ouch!!

nayaa is rude...

waryaa...is erm i dont know...its for guys tho

Starseeker
05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
^^^ THeir used to be some guy at my primary school called nayaa.. the name gave me so much jokes!

city_dweller
05-11-2006, 07:27 PM
^Wow, he must've had a hard time haha.

Sister_6038
05-11-2006, 07:28 PM
you sure it was nayaa?

ummAbdillah
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
nayaa lol wat-a-name!!! i hate it wen ppls call me that.
waryaa is funny tho :)

Kittygyal
05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
salam.
right people i wana learn this lingo so can people who can actually speak this lingo help me :)
w.salam

ummAbdillah
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
what do you wanna say sis?
i need to learn as well ;D

Sister_6038
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
salam.
right people i wana learn this lingo so can people who can actually speak this lingo help me :)
w.salam
i cant write it...only speak it and min reading...erm...i will try and get some phrases together

Kittygyal
05-11-2006, 07:38 PM
salam.
well can you speak it ''fluently''???
IF yes then how do you start of with n conversation for eg: my name is blabla i live in blabla i ma blala years old i work in blabla etc etc sis you get mi??? :)
w.salam

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I can speak Somali!-:D

Sister_6038
05-12-2006, 04:21 PM
salam.
well can you speak it ''fluently''???
IF yes then how do you start of with n conversation for eg: my name is blabla i live in blabla i ma blala years old i work in blabla etc etc sis you get mi??? :)
w.salam
yeah i speak it quite well i guess...ok pardon me for mispelling

maagaaga wa Hatshepsut...my name is Hatshepsut
waxaa qo nool ya hay England...i live in England
waxaa ya hay 18...im 18
school baan taaga...i go to school

ok my spelling is really bad..sorry

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-12-2006, 07:41 PM
:)That's good!

Sister_6038
05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimaH~SistaH
i dont know!!! i just dont know!!!

Kittygyal
05-12-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut
yeah i speak it quite well i guess...ok pardon me for mispelling

maagaaga wa Hatshepsut...my name is Hatshepsut
waxaa qo nool ya hay England...i live in England
waxaa ya hay 18...im 18
school baan taaga...i go to school

ok my spelling is really bad..sorry
salam.
oh ok sis let me have a go :hiding:
maagaaga wa jodie
waxaa qo nool ya hay
LOLz that's all i know LOLz ;D
sis can you please write it in phonotic too :)
w.salam

Sister_6038
05-12-2006, 07:52 PM
salam.
oh ok sis let me have a go :hiding:
maagaaga wa jodie
waxaa qo nool ya hay
LOLz that's all i know LOLz ;D
sis can you please write it in phonotic too :)
w.salam
whoops i thought that was phonetic...erm erm...

Kittygyal
05-12-2006, 07:55 PM
whoops i thought that was phonetic...erm erm...
salam.
sis that's not phonotic :heated: phonotic is like this for eg you may say something like JODIE and then in phonetic you will say jo di :)
w.salam

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Since I can speak Somali so I think I can help little bit!;)

Khaldun
05-16-2006, 06:21 AM

Isnt it abit of double standars that most sisters dont like to be called Nayaa but with Waryaa theyre okay calling some guys it? :rollseyes

If you ask me, both are as insulting. I have a name you know, and if you dont know it "Walaalo" (brother) would be much better :brother:

Umm Salama
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
As Salam Alaikum Wr Wb

HEHEHEHE this post is cute sorry guys.... LOL

Ok Now I am totally confussed. My Hoya (even though I am adan:okay: )

Always says walallo when shes on the phone everything is "Hu walallo Hu"

hehehe is walallo only for the men cuz she says this tooo everyone.....

By the way I hate that word Adan it is worst then niya....in my view......

And If I was in somalia (which I was at one point planing on going to and might still go to) then even though I would stick out like a sore thumb (well not really I wear neqob and gloves so they cant see me but they can tell buy the walk and the fact that I would just simply not talk) I am sure that a bro would marry me. So it is not just in the west.... that the brothers marry foreners. But at the same time mushallah the brothers there love polygamy and hmmmmm I think I need a break from it since it was part of the cause for my divorce. Not on my part though.
How about when you have the Yemeni and Somali mix going on. Are not the Yeminis foreners???

And how about the Italians that are there who become muslims???? Hmmmm

HEHEHEHEHE
I think somali is easier then arabic mushallah. It has a chatchy ring to it sooo it is easier to pick up. one of the sisters I know insistes to talk to me in somali lol. Alhumdolillah. And the funniest is when I am at my hoyoos home hehehehe I think they are always fighting. I dont know how they can always talk like that and not be fighting.

Bro Khaldun I always knew you were somali by the name but just thought you were a sis. instead plz forgive me for not looking to see that you were a bro... :statisfie :statisfie :statisfie

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
"Walaalo" I think it's both for men and woman,'Cause I've seen lots of women who's using that word for men and women!-:S;)

Umm Salama
05-16-2006, 04:02 PM
salam alalikum

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: ya should be I dont think the sisters would like it if they were called walallo if its just for the boys :giggling: :giggling:
Ok next question how come it is insulting to say niya to sisters but they say it to thier daughters?????

what is the exact meaning of niya anyways I forgot :rollseyes

amirah_87
05-17-2006, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Salama
salam alalikum

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: ya should be I dont think the sisters would like it if they were called walallo if its just for the boys :giggling: :giggling:
Ok next question how come it is insulting to say niya to sisters but they say it to thier daughters?????

what is the exact meaning of niya anyways I forgot :rollseyes

aaaaaahh thats sooo insultin' nayaa , god :grumbling

alhamdulillah we made our mum quit sayin' nayaa , so now she only calls us by our names :happy: :happy:

nayaa: i think it means like "gurl get your arse down here now "....lol justkiddin' :p :p

well i don't think you could put it into an english term ,, but it's like an insultin way for callin' sum1 "guuuurrrrrrll!"...if y'know wat i mean ??

walaal is used for both men and women .....you could say "walaal " i think this ones more for the males and "walaalo" is like more for the females .....right guys ????

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Ahaaa:)
'Nayaa'I just hate that word!:D;)

Al-Mu'min
05-17-2006, 02:38 PM
I love Somali people. I think you'll never get bored cause i think next to egyptians, they are the most talkative people. They have a good sense of humour too.

I can understand the ones from Somaliland and not the ones from the capital. It's a pity they are having a civil war now..

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-17-2006, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'min
I love Somali people. I think you'll never get bored cause i think next to egyptians, they are the most talkative people. They have a good sense of humour too.

I can understand the ones from Somaliland and not the ones from the capital. It's a pity they are having a civil war now..
Aww-That was very sweet of you!
Are you from Egypt?

Maimunah
05-17-2006, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'min

lolz they're not just talkative, they are wild when it comes to tribal war;D
may Allah guide them:)
wasalaam

firdaw
05-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Dog - Eyy
Boy -Weel
Girl -Gabar
No - May
Bax- Go away not get the F******
Boy - Weel
My name is - Maga'y wa
Call me - Isoo Waya
Are you hungry- Ma Bahantahay

I will find the others for you later

Umm Safiya
05-18-2006, 07:42 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by firdaw
Call me - Isoo Waya
Isn't it "isoo wac"?

Yesterday me and a sister was discussing walaalo and aboowe.. Is it true, that aboowe is more sweet than walaalo? So if you have to adress a strange man, you should call him walaalo, and men you know, like your cousins or whatever, you can call them aboowe?

& I was thinking.. What do you call you father-in-law? Uncle or dad or just his name? (How you you spell uncle in somali)?

When tell someone to sit down, is it fariisow, fariiso or fariisoc?

& I have another question.. You say macaanow to a man.. And macaanto to a woman.. Who do you say macaane to, can it be said to both?

That's it for now.. :happy:

Khaldun
05-18-2006, 12:57 PM

Walalo is for brothers, and Walaley is for sisters if im not mistaken.

Call me is Isoo wac.

Yes Abowee does seem more intimate, I wouldnt advice you to go and call non mahram men that lol :okay:

As for macane, the thing that comes to mind is when a mother tells her children something and adds "hooyo macaney" but the way you said seems to work aswell.

Uncle in somali is Adeer (might want to check up the spelling of that)

Fariiso means sit down.

Disclaimer: This is in no way, official somali or grammatically correct, its just my own home made version forgive me if I have offended anyone. :X

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Sounds right!;)

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM

Call me - "Isoo Wa' "

Dog - "Eyy"

Boy - "Weel"

Girl - "Gabar"

2 - "Labo"

3 - "Sadeeh"

Listen - "Maqal"

Look - "Firi"

Wow... brother i didn't know you were somali.

amirah_87
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by firdaw
Boy -Weel
Girl -Gabar
there's another way of sayin boy/girl....right

inan ,,,inan but the thing is i can't seem to differentiate between them

could sum1 explain plz...thanx

Umm Safiya
05-21-2006, 11:15 AM

Barak Allâhu fîk brother Khaldun..

Waan daxamooneya - I'm cold
Waad daxamooneysa - You're cold
Ma daxamooneysa - Are you cold?

Waan qurux badanahay - I'm beautiful
Waad qurux badan tahay - You're beautiful
Wey qurux badan tahay - She's beautiful
Wuu qurux badanayay - He's beautiful
^Correct?

Umm Safiya
05-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Can any somali's please tell me if the what I wrote in the previous post is correct?
And is it wuu qurux badanayay or wuu qurux badanyahay?

-

When fx. your hands are sticky, that's called dhg dhg or dheg dheg?

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-28-2006, 03:39 PM
wuu qurux badanyahay? = He's beatiful

wuu qurux badanyahay?' is correct!

and when your hands are sticky it's called "Dheg dheg".

^^Salaam^^

Sister_6038
05-29-2006, 10:25 AM
when your hands are sticky it's called "Dheg dheg".
ok i really dont know the language

Waryaa
05-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Yesterday me and a sister was discussing walaalo and aboowe.. Is it true, that aboowe is more sweet than walaalo? So if you have to adress a strange man, you should call him walaalo, and men you know, like your cousins or whatever, you can call them aboowe?

& I was thinking.. What do you call you father-in-law? Uncle or dad or just his name? (How you you spell uncle in somali)?

When tell someone to sit down, is it fariisow, fariiso or fariisoc?

& I have another question.. You say macaanow to a man.. And macaanto to a woman.. Who do you say macaane to, can it be said to both?
Walaal is more formal and unisex, and is especially used by Northerners.

Aboowe, on the other hand, does sound like a bit intimate; however, Southerners use it as a formal fraternal address to a person as well. Aboowe is more likely used by a female when calling to her male counterpart.

Father-in-law means sodog and mother-in-law is sodoh. However, if you meant how do you address them, Soomaalis call them adeer or eedo, respectively. And for the spelling of uncle in Soomaali, it is, as mentioned already, adeer.

Someone else also asked if wuu quran badanyahay {'he is beautiful'} is grammatically correct. Yes, it is. Even the spelling is perfect.

Waryaa
05-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Whoops! I meant wuu qurux badanyahay.

MuslimaH~SistaH
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
ok i really dont know the language

Heheh-:giggling:

I see!-But it's very funny language,huh?

Umm Safiya
05-30-2006, 11:23 AM

Barak All&#226;hu f&#238;kum.. :)

Khaldun
06-01-2006, 01:15 PM

Someone else also asked if wuu quran badanyahay {'he is beautiful'} is grammatically correct. Yes, it is. Even the spelling is perfect.
"He has alot of Quran" only if that was true for us all...

Ghazi
06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Waryaa
Whoops! I meant wuu qurux badanyahay.

LOL bro, I just noticed your nick, And who's the good looking Male :rollseyes LOL

MuslimaH~SistaH
06-02-2006, 05:06 PM
This thread is funny and cool!:D

Umar001
06-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I always get stopped by somalians cos they think im somali.

So they say stuff like 'weria....somal sebhat or something like that'

how can i reply in somali that i am not somali. all the somali words i know are 'weria, hagah, neo'

Waryaa
06-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Islaam-Truth, what is wrong with my nick? Nothing wrong with being a waryaa.

So they say stuff like 'weria....somal sebhat or something like that'
Actually, Soomaalis do not say 'waryaa' to those they aren't even sure if they are Soomaali. And you wrote 'somal sebhat,' I think you meant "Soomaali maa tahay." {Are you Soomaali?} Next time, answer by saying "maya." {No.}

Most Soomaalis can discern who is Soomaali, but in few occasions, particularly those happen to be Ethiopians, especially Oromos, are Soomaalis aren't sure if they are Soomaalis. So I assume you are either Ethiopian or a Northern Sudani.

Quruxbadaan
06-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Good behaviour, warning decreased.

Asalaamu Alaikum wow i learned more here than i already knew of my own language masha allah
Maa salaama

Umm Yoosuf
06-04-2006, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
there's another way of sayin boy/girl....right

inan ,,,inan but the thing is i can't seem to differentiate between them

could sum1 explain plz...thanx
Inan = Girl
IInan = Boy.

I don't really know the spelling, if thats not correct someone correct it Insha Allah. Basically the saying "boy" its sound is stronger.

Uma Rayanah
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Inan = Girl
IInan = Boy.

I don't really know the spelling, if thats not correct someone correct it Insha Allah. Basically the saying "boy" its sound is stronger.

^^^^^ well done sis:giggling: :giggling:

amirah_87
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
well thanx guys!!!!! :)...............
this is 2 every 1 i wanna see how you guys say this, cause when i saidor tried to say it i got the sooo embarssed
...how would you say in somali put the phone line in it's socket !! .."
without usin' the word hadig yeah..or fiilo!!

wafa islam
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
asalaamu alaykum ukht umm hamza

yeah, gacaliso, eh i think it means sweetheart or something like that.

wa alaykum salaam

MuslimaH~SistaH
06-16-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wafa islam

wa alaykum salaam
Yeah.
Ga3aliso means sweetheart.

Uma Rayanah
06-17-2006, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wafa islam

wa alaykum salaam
indeed it means sweetheart...

its very sweet word.. specially wen a husband names his wife or a father 2 his doughter...:)

MuslimaH~SistaH
06-17-2006, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uma ilyaas

its very sweet word.. specially wen a husband names his wife or a father 2 his doughter...:)

Yeah..I agree!:)

Umm Safiya
06-21-2006, 07:48 AM

Can a wife say it to her husband, or is the word different then?

hia
06-21-2006, 09:43 AM
i think umm hamzah, the best way for you to learn the language is to hang with somalis all the time. Make many somali friends, and ask them to teach you. Somalis love speaking their language at every chance they get. In the beginning it may be hard understanding what they say too each other but you'll grab a few words here and there and before you know it , you know the language!.

i knew this sister that went to my school and she always was with us and made friends particularly with one girl and she use to visit her all the time. when we use to hang in a group my friends use to speak in somali, although i thought it was unfair because she didn't understand. But that was how she learnt.

now she speaks so fluently its unbelievable. the best thing to do is to learn to one dialect fluently at first and then you can fry bigger fishes:statisfie

start learning your husbands dialect first and then others and learn how they vary. Because if you learn it all in one go, sometimes people might not understand certain words you used or maybe the whole sentence!.

And sometimes words you've said in one dialect can be offensive to others! and you'll feel like doing this:hiding::giggling:Anyway good luck sister i wish you all the best:thankyou:

MuslimaH~SistaH
06-21-2006, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hamzah

Can a wife say it to her husband, or is the word different then?
Yeah,A wife can say that to her husband,but the word will be different then.
Ga'aliso = Sweetheart for female
Ga'aliye = Sweetheart for MAle,I mean when you're saying the word to your husband!

I hope I'm right,if not correct me please!

Salaamz:thankyou:

Uma Rayanah
06-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah,A wife can say that to her husband,but the word will be different then.
Ga'aliso = Sweetheart for female
Ga'aliye = Sweetheart for MAle,I mean when you're saying the word to your husband!

I hope I'm right,if not correct me please!

Salaamz:thankyou:

:happy: :happy: that is right sis....

MuslimaH~SistaH
06-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeeey! ;)

Sister_6038
06-25-2006, 05:14 PM
i didnt know that meant sweetheart in somali...i thought it was like ma'anay or something like that...or hoona??

Taqiyah
06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
i didnt know that meant sweetheart in somali...i thought it was like ma'anay or something like that...or hoona??

:happy: Well..I have never heard of "Hoona" but I know "Huuna" which in somali means "sister" or "brother"
and "Ma'anay" I think it means "sweety".......:sister:

MuslimaH~SistaH
07-02-2006, 05:46 PM
[/I]Assalama Alaikum,Everyone!

Taqiyah:_Yeah,I agree with you with "Ma'aney" means "sweety".BUT I've never heard that "Huuna" means in somali "Sister" or "brother",I've heard that it means "Mom" or something.

I don't know If I'm correct,so correct me!

Taqiyah
07-02-2006, 06:53 PM
[/I]Assalama Alaikum,Everyone!

Taqiyah:_Yeah,I agree with you with "Ma'aney" means "sweety".BUT I've never heard that "Huuna" means in somali "Sister" or "brother",I've heard that it means "Mom" or something.

I don't know If I'm correct,so correct me!

Well..........sister "huuna" doesn't mean "mom"
Mom in somali is "hooyo":) but I don't know even Somali people tend to speak differently;D It is confusing:heated:

DAWUD_adnan
07-02-2006, 07:28 PM
hahah all of a sudden somalis pop up everywhere!

Taqiyah
07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
loooooool u got that right;D Somalis are pretty much everywhere in the world:giggling: and I mean "EVERYWHERE":giggling:

MuslimaH~SistaH
07-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeaaah-I really agree,Somalis are EVERYWHERE in the world today.:D

DAWUD_adnan
07-03-2006, 01:52 PM
yeah including me!!!

Umm Yoosuf
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
"Huuna"
Does mean sister :)

amirah_87
07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DAWUD_adnan
hahah all of a sudden somalis pop up everywhere!
POP POP !! HERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!:happy:

Ghazi
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
POP POP !! HERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!:happy:

AND ANOTHER!

Taqiyah
07-05-2006, 05:18 AM
Asalama Alaikum.......

hehehehe A Somali reunion!!!:) Awesome:giggling: Let me join yah...loooooool

sonz
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
salama

what does somalia mean???

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-05-2006, 10:41 AM
^Erm.....

Taqiyah
07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
salama

uhmmm:? It is a Country in East Africa...A muslim country...... i don't know how else to explain it:rollseyes and I don't think the word "somalia" has any other meaning:X Does a country's name has to have a meaning???:? :?

AHMED_GUREY
07-06-2006, 07:44 AM
salama

it's derived from the name of the forefather of all somalis called ''somaal''

salaam

Taqiyah
07-07-2006, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
it's derived from the name of the forefather of all somalis called ''somaal''

salaam

wow! I didn't know that........thanks...
I think it is time 4 me to learn a little more about my country;D loooooooooool

hanah_06
07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Assalam'alaikum
Awesome! Thanks bro
I forgot the meaning of Somali that my mom told before, I’ll write down so I wouldn't nxt time.
w/salaam

MUNIRAH
07-07-2006, 04:59 AM
A/s/c

I have some really hard somali words........which I don't think any of yah could answer;D
Think I am lyin hehehe try them here they r:

1) Saxansaxo
2) Haybin
3) Qaanso Roobaad
4) Findhicil ;D
5) Bali
6) Ciir ;D

7) Bariis ;D don't include this one :giggling: coz ur not a Somali if u don't know it.........:giggling:

Taqiyah
07-07-2006, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MUNIRAH
A/s/c

I have some really hard somali words........which I don't think any of yah could answer;D

1) Saxansaxo
2) Haybin
3) Qaanso Roobaad
4) Findhicil ;D
5) Bali
6) Ciir ;D

7) Bariis ;D don't include this one :giggling: coz ur not a Somali if u don't know it.........:giggling:

well.......these are really hard! I can try some of them........I am not sure am gonna get them though..........Ok this is what I think.......

2) is "to ask"
7) is "rice":giggling:

:X they r harder than I thought...........!!!!

MUNIRAH
07-08-2006, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
well.......these are really hard! I can try some of them........I am not sure am gonna get them though..........Ok this is what I think.......

2) is "to ask"
7) is "rice":giggling:

:X they r harder than I thought...........!!!!

Yeah sis u got those two;D
Told u they r hard!!:giggling: Isn't anyone else gonna try....well.:giggling:

MuslimahBlue
07-09-2006, 03:17 AM
A/s/c

1) Saxansaxo
2) Haybin
3) Qaanso Roobaad
4) Findhicil ;D
5) Bali
6) Ciir ;D

AssalamAlaykum
All I know is bariis :giggling: ,those are some hard words
are you gonna tell us what they mean now?:)

umm-sulaim
07-09-2006, 09:58 AM
raaaaaaaa!
ok
4-toothpick
1-without saxo is plate hehe!
7-rice lol! we know that one!

Uma Rayanah
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
A/s/c

1) Saxansaxo
2) Haybin
3) Qaanso Roobaad
4) Findhicil ;D
5) Bali
6) Ciir ;D

1. kalmad waxaa weyee, dabeysha ama necawda yar ee roobka kasoo horeysa,e.g saxansaxo udgoon baan sanka kulaa racee.

2. markaad dooneyso inaad barato qof qabiilkiisa, heyb, e.g waanku haybinayee...ada hadray horoodkeygaa mood. waxay kalo noqon kartaa markaad qof waraysaneyso,

3. Qaanso robaab ma waxaad uga jeeda...Jegaan....?

4. findhicilka waxaa kaliya oo garan karaa qofka hilibka cuna...aar findhicilkaa ii dhiib hilibkii baa ilkaha iga galey e.

5. Bali = ceel...meesha biyuhu fadhiistaan......ama kal....ama salmac

6. ciirtaa...alla yaa caano cabey......canaaha marka la lulo ee burcadka laga saaro canaha ayaa la yiraahda ciir

7 Bariiska sowdiga maalin kasta cuna...isku dhesx kariska...alla macaana.

now its my turn to ask:

1. Dumdumo

2. Qarbad

3. lab

4 Dhedig

5. Ugaadhsi

6. Mudac

7. Ardaa

8. gadhoodh

9. Afsaar

10. Mandheer

have a go at these ones...

MuslimaH~SistaH
07-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Hmm...They're difficult!

3: Male
4: Female
5: I think it means hunting

........................That's all I understood! :giggling:

amirah_87
07-10-2006, 04:55 PM
ASS SALAAMU ALAYKUM

BISSINKA!!!...what on earth is all that:?:?...;D;D

i did'nt get a word from that...:(

mashaAllah Umm Ilyaas your real good ...:peace:

Uma Rayanah
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Hmm...They're difficult!

3: Male
4: Female
5: I think it means hunting

........................That's all I understood! :giggling:

Well done sister...........what about the rest...keep thinking........:?

amirah_87
07-10-2006, 05:08 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

Umm Ilyaas...does ugadhsi mean like chattin up!!...like when sum1 is chattin' up sum1 else !!

PS: don't laugh if it's wrong!!

MuslimahBlue
07-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Assalama Alaikum
These are hard :? I don't know any of them wait
9. Afsaar---something you put on your mouth???

amirah_87
07-10-2006, 06:36 PM
ass salaamu laykum

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!! ;D;D

i just got this bit now
Bariiska sowdiga maalin kasta cuna...isku dhesx kariska...alla macaana.
subhaanAllah :giggling:

i can't stand isku dex karis though!! :heated:

MUNIRAH
07-11-2006, 03:58 AM
[B]
now its my turn to ask:

1. Dumdumo- it is like a umm

2. Qarbad----:? :?

3. lab- male

4 Dhedig-female

5. Ugaadhsi- Hunting

6. Mudac- somekinda speer or a..thorn....I am pretty sure it is somethin pointed

7. Ardaa----or "dayr" is it like a fense or a backyard:?

8. gadhoodh----buttermilk (mmm.....mm......mm... yummy;D )

9. Afsaar- I have no clue:?

10. Mandheer----eewww +o( Placenta...right?

have a go at these ones...

ok.......there:)

MUNIRAH
07-11-2006, 04:07 AM
1. Dumdumo- it is like a ummmm a mountain.......I mean a tiny lil mountain or a hill or somethin..I don't know how to explain it:heated: I just know it......and it is mostly found in Australia........right?

2. Qarbad---- :?

3. lab- male

4 Dhedig-female

5. Ugaadhsi- Hunting

6. Mudac- somekinda speer or a..thorn....I am pretty sure it is somethin pointed

7. Ardaa----or "dayr" is it like a fense or a backyard

8. gadhoodh----buttermilk (mmm.....mm......mm... yummy )

9. Afsaar- I have no clue

10. Mandheer----eewww Placenta...right?

umm-sulaim
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
4.dhedig-sticky?
5.ughaad-i think it means like shopping no?
8. yoghurt, the bit from the milk, perhaps buttermilk like sis said.
9. afsaar- something you put on your mouth?
as for the rest ain't got a clue! probably got these all wrong too!

Taqiyah
07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
wooooooooow
these are hard ones.

amirah_87
07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
ass salaamu alaykum

i know what you mean sis taqiyyah!! :heated:

Somalina
07-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Mashallah

will check it out tomorrow Inshallah:giggling:

Umm Safiya
07-14-2006, 08:23 PM

What's the difference between macaanto and macaanay, because both is for females right?

Books
07-15-2006, 10:41 AM
:sl: WOW i need to really work on my somali, it's terrible! looks like i need to join this thread too! waan inaan lugadaa hoyo thaytha bartaa sababta ilmahaayga bal maxaan bari?!;D

umm-sulaim
07-15-2006, 10:51 AM
lol ala walaal waad iga goslisay wax badan cos well anigana somaligayga wa bakhti lol.........

Books
07-15-2006, 06:51 PM
loooooooool walaal/ abaayo/ macanto! waa run somaahan?! haya de miyaad haysataa ideas sithaan afkaa sifican ubaranno?
lol :)

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 07:10 PM
How do you say '...' in somali?
According to my memory....

'...' is how you say '...' in somali.. :p

amirah_87
07-15-2006, 07:20 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

LOOOL! @ YOU AKHEE!! ;D;D

umm-sulaim
07-15-2006, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummsulayman
loooooooool walaal/ abaayo/ macanto! waa run somaahan?! haya de miyaad haysataa ideas sithaan afkaa sifican ubaranno?
lol :)

walaal aniga ideas magaranayo lakin i'm hoping dadka meeshan ayaa na helpgaranaya soo maha ?
somlaigayaga wa bakhti so...aniga help ayaan u bahanyahay too, i sheg if you get ideas haye?

wassalaam.

Ghazi
07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
walaal aniga ideas magaranayo lakin i'm hoping dadka meeshan ayaa na helpgaranaya soo maha ?
somlaigayaga wa bakhti so...aniga help ayaan u bahanyahay too, i sheg if you get ideas haye?

wassalaam.

Funny enough I understood that I need more help in speaking somali then anyone.

umm-sulaim
07-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Loool..........well as you can see sis, you. are. not. alone!!!!!

we serioulsy need help in somali ala ceb badanaa, sida nacas an u hadlayna! bisinka aniga aya isla yaabay!!

Books
07-15-2006, 08:51 PM
inshaaAllah waan inaan practise gareano aad somaahan?

hey how do you say Practise?:w:

umm-sulaim
07-15-2006, 08:52 PM
practise? walaal maxan kagaranaya aniga waxan idahdaa practise, wan practisegaranaya !

ceb walaal so maha? good idea sis,waan isla practisgaraynayna, inshaAllah.

Taqiyah
07-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Asalama Alaikum.

Guys! Guys! I can definetly help yah with Somali.......and by the way "practise" in Somali is "..............ummm.." :rollseyes ooops! this never happened to me before..........I totally forgot the word 4 practise.:?
well forget about that word then.....looks like that is the only word I don't know in Somali:grumbling
well...try and ask me whateva words u guys wanna know in Somali:)
I be glad to answer them for yah!

umm-sulaim
07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
ok sis, thanks! lol..
haye how do we say to find something...like i find that hard...?

is it waxaan u malaynaya adag? thx..

as for practise maybe its one of them englishfied mali words? lol.....i never heard anyone use it hehehe.......

Taqiyah
07-17-2006, 12:42 AM
ok sis, thanks! lol..
haye how do we say to find something...like i find that hard...?

is it waxaan u malaynaya adag? thx....

"sis waxaan u malaynayaa adayg" in english is "I think it is hard"
but "to find somethin hard......like I find that hard" in Somali u can either say "adaygbuu kaasi igu yahay" or "adayg buu igu noqday":D
well......not all Somalis speak the same way......like there is "reer waqooyi" "reer bari" "reer koonfor" :) they all tend to speak differently...:sister:

umm-sulaim
07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
lol.......thx sis, oh ok then, i see...jazaakillahu khayran!

yeah theres quite a few dialects mashaAllah.

i need help in somali..maybe hadaa sentences in english i gortid anigana waxan ku gori somali, ma ok ba sidas walalo?
mahadsantahay aad.

hanah_06
07-17-2006, 12:52 AM
asalam'alaikum

Taqiyah khatar baad afsomaliga kuutahay
bal soo tuur kuwoo aad adaag

Aniiga dhib bay igu tahay afsomaliga qooridisa
W/salam

hanah_06
07-17-2006, 12:58 AM

i need help in somali..maybe hadaa sentences in english i gortid anigana waxan ku gori somali, ma ok ba sidas walalo?
mahadsantahay aad.
walalo okay wayaan
here i start
>Why did u skip classes yesterday?

Taqiyah
07-17-2006, 01:02 AM

mahadsantahay aad.

I am totally ok with that..........I would love to help yah with somali sis:)

Ok lets see here............I am gonna make the sentences easy....... that is cool with yah......right?:)

1-I like talkin with Somali people coz they r fun.:)
2-My favorite sea food is fish.
3-I like playin soccer and tennis with my sisters and cousins.
4-What do u always dream about?
5-Do u have a brother-in-law and a sister-in-law?
6-three times three equals to nine:)

try these n if u think they r lil too easy 4 yah........I am gonna make them harder next time sis:) good luck..
ooooooooh and I bet u will neva get number 5;D looooool

Sagal
07-17-2006, 03:56 AM
Masha Allah,

My Somali is getting rusty, glad to find this thread.
Maxaa cabitaan yaala? Shaah cadeys...:sister:

format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
According to my memory....

'...' is how you say '...' in somali.. :p
Tum or yahaa? ;D

amirah_87
07-17-2006, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
I am totally ok with that..........I would love to help yah with somali sis:)

Ok lets see here............I am gonna make the sentences easy....... that is cool with yah......right?:)

try these n if u think they r lil too easy 4 yah........I am gonna make them harder next time sis:) good luck..
ooooooooh and I bet u will neva get number 5;D looooool

ass salaamu alaykum

okay i'm a proper fishie n' chippie!!...so correct me if i get 'em wrong :hiding:

1) aniga waxaan che3el yehey somaalida because way gusel badhan yiheen :p

2):?:?...how do you say favourtie:?.....i just know how to say.."i like most"....waxaan ugu che3elyehey 3untada badda...right:? ;D ;D

3)...i dunno how to say tennis or football....ppl say banooniy but i hate that word...:heated:
waxaan ugu che3elyehey inaan 3iyaaro tennis iyo football :X

4)maxaad ku riyootaa markasata?

5)...sedax ku duffo sedax waxey nugunaysaa......LOOOOOOOOOOL!!! ;D;D

hey mark me outta five okay!!!!...tell me how i done ;)

Allaahu Musta3aan!!....

wa alaykum ass salaam :peace:

umm-sulaim
07-17-2006, 05:35 PM
ok,waxan jecelyahay inan la hadlo dadka somaliga b'cos waxaweyan qosol .

raashin ka an ugu jecelyahay waxa weyan raashin ka badka.

waxan jecelyahay inan la coyaro walalahay iyo ilmu habartay kubad iyo tennis

markasta maxad ku riyonaysa

oh oh....ma haysataa walaal haq iyo walalo haq, i' not sure but one of them is domashe, something like that right?

sadex iyo sadex ku dufo wa sagal.

inshaAllah i hope they are ok, thanks for your time sis, may Allah reward you.

umm-sulaim
07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hanah_06
walalo okay wayaan
here i start
>Why did u skip classes yesterday?

lol.....is that adressed to me? ooow........is it the swahili classes or this class, ukhtee?
sorry sis, saami7eenee.

maxad shalay lessonkaaga uga imanwayday?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.