/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Plz tell me the meaning of this arabic word...

swanlake
09-30-2005, 11:23 AM
:sl:

ukhty al habeeby

What does it mean?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM
salam
i think ukthy means sister and habeeby i am not sure

sonz
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
salam

i think it means

sister of my love

masalama

MetSudaisTwice
09-30-2005, 11:26 AM
salam
yeah i think it means something like that
hope you are more clear now sis
wasalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Buthaynah
09-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Ukhti habibi means my darling sister

Habeebi means darling!

swanlake
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Thank you brother and sisters.

Now can i brother say this to you innocently? Or there could be something behind it?

Far7an
09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I think we need an Arabic speaker to verify, but I thought it was Habeebti for sisters? and Habeebi for brothers?

btw, Ukhtee means My sister, Ukht means sister

Buthaynah
09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
Habeeby = my Dear :)
Ukhti al habeeby = My dear sister :-\

Habeebi is not 'my dear'. Its 'my darling'.

And I wud recommend you do not say it to brothers....its not the right word to use :)

:coolsis:

MetSudaisTwice
09-30-2005, 11:33 AM
salam
saying words like that can mislead you and give out wrong intentions
wasalam

Buthaynah
09-30-2005, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
saying words like that can mislead you and give out wrong intentions
wasalam

That was indeed my point.
JazakAllah bro :)

sherbie cola
09-30-2005, 11:42 AM
I always thought Habeeby meant Darling

Buthaynah
09-30-2005, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherbie cola
I always thought Habeeby meant Darling

It does :)

Ra`eesah
09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Habibi - comes from the root word "HABIB" which acually means
"beloved" and Love in arabic is "Hub"

Like brother far7an said,- Habibi is masculine and habibity is feminine.

Ukhtee al habibi is not correct who ever said that must not speak arabic. the correct wording is...

"Ukhtee ya habibity" ( My Sister, Oh my beloved) or "Ukhtee habibity" (My Beloved sister) or i will give benefit of the doubt and assume it was supposed to be "Ukhtee al Habiba" ( My sister, the Beloved)

nothing wrong with a brother saying "habibi" to another brother. and a sister can say "habibity" to another sister.

swanlake
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
But can a brother say to sister? I dont think so,..i guess

MetSudaisTwice
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
salam
i don't think they can sis
wasalam

Ra`eesah
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

A brother can say it to his sister.. ( blood brother and sister of course)
and if he does its " Ukhee habibity" same doesnt change just because its a male saying it.

now on the other hand, a brother saying it to his sister in Islam, yes he can say it... but is that wise? No.

MetSudaisTwice
09-30-2005, 12:25 PM
salam
true sis mashallah
wasalam

Uma Rayanah
09-30-2005, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey
Assalamu'Alaykum

Ukhtee al habibi is not correct who ever said that must not speak arabic. the correct wording is...

"Ukhtee ya habibity" ( My Sister, Oh my beloved) or "Ukhtee habibity" (My Beloved sister) or i will give benefit of the doubt and assume it was supposed to be "Ukhtee al Habiba" ( My sister, the Beloved)

nothing wrong with a brother saying "habibi" to another brother. and a sister can say "habibity" to another sister.

Masha q____)____) )

You've clarified and made it look easy for the brothers and sisters......shukran jaziiran ya ukhtil 3aziizah...

:w:

Halima
09-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Habibty= my love (female)

Habiby= my love (male) ;)

and if any of you sisters are wondering.....

bin= son of.....

bint= daughter of .....

Buthaynah
09-30-2005, 06:06 PM

I would personally recommend that no brother (in islam) calls his sister (in islam) habibati. It just does not sound gud....of course, if it is your biological brother then it is acceptable. But, non biological....la! la!

salaam :coolsis:

Halima
09-30-2005, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Buthaynah

I would personally recommend that no brother (in islam) calls his sister (in islam) habibati. It just does not sound gud....of course, if it is your biological brother then it is acceptable. But, non biological....la! la!

salaam :coolsis:

I have not heard of one yet :?

Buthaynah
09-30-2005, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
I have not heard of one yet :?

have not heard one of wat, sis?

Umm Safiya
10-16-2005, 12:28 AM

Can a sister say "Dear Brother" to a brother in Islâm? And if so, how do you say that? Just wondering.. Not like I'm gonna run around saying it everywhere!

Umm Safiya
10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Assalâmu 'alaykum..

When someone says I love you for the sake of Allâh, how do you say that? I asked before, but I forgot and can't find it..
And if you say it on english, can you say I love you fillah, or do you say I love you fisabi-lillâh?

Barak Allâhu fiikum..

Ameeratul Layl
10-31-2005, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ms. Amira

Can a sister say "Dear Brother" to a brother in Islâm? And if so, how do you say that? Just wondering.. Not like I'm gonna run around saying it everywhere!

Dear = 3aziz (Aziz)
Akee= Brother

I hope u dont run around saying it to everyone:giggling:

Allah ma3ik

Ameeratul Layl
10-31-2005, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Ms. Amira;102421]Assalâmu 'alaykum..

When someone says I love you for the sake of Allâh, how do you say that? I asked before, but I forgot and can't find it..

Its on the tip of my tongue....but I cant remember it! Wen I do, InshgAllah I will let u know.

:rolleyes:

meknesi
10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
salam brothers and sisters habbeebee or habeebatee derives form the word hub which means love so when we say ena uhibek fillah that means i love you for the sake of Allah swt. so i would not consider sayingh habibi or habibtee for the opposite sex unless ur biologicals or ur spouses.

meknesi

Silver Pearl
10-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Assalâmu 'alaykum..

And if you say it on english, can you say I love you fillah, or do you say I love you fisabi-lillâh?

Barak Allâhu fiikum..

:w: warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Ba7eebak fee sabilillah...is that what you're looking for?

Fillah doesn't make sense....hmm....

Ameeratul Layl
11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Assalâmu 'alaykum..

Barak Allâhu fiikum..

:sl: Wipeeeeee! I remebered the dua....it is:

Uhibak Aladhi ahbabtani lahu

Yipeeeeeee!!!!!!!

sorry..... :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Allah ma3ik:loving:

MetSudaisTwice
11-01-2005, 08:48 AM
salam
what does istaaow i'tadilu akeemu soofu fakumus sudulkhalal wa la takhtalifu mean? the imams say this before prayer
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-01-2005, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
what does istaaow i'tadilu akeemu soofu fakumus sudulkhalal wa la takhtalifu mean? the imams say this before prayer
wasalam

Basically to stand in straight rows na dmake sure there are no gaps and all the rest.

Allah ma3ak

MetSudaisTwice
11-01-2005, 08:55 AM
salam
whats all the rest?
wasalam

Umm Safiya
11-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I must say, I'm getting a little confused.. Sorry if I'm slow.. :-[

Is it:

1. Uhibak Aladhi ahbabtani lahu,

2. Ba7eebak fee sabilillah,

or

3. ena uhibek fillah

format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl
Fillah doesn't make sense....hmm....
Is it then filillah? 'Cause there's an arab sister, who keeps telling me I love you fillâh(fiil Allâh) But fiil, doens't that mean elephant?

I'm sorry, I'm just very very bad at arabic, so I have to learn it like I'm a kid.. Get allllllllllll the explanations(?) etc. :-[

MetSudaisTwice
11-01-2005, 09:08 AM
salam
i know how your feeling sis, am not too good at arabic as well, but i have a basic understanding
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-01-2005, 09:10 AM
I must say, I'm getting a little confused.. Sorry if I'm slow.. :-[

Is it:

2. Ba7eebak fee sabilillah,

or

3. ena uhibek fillah

Is it then filillah? 'Cause there's an arab sister, who keeps telling me I love you fillâh(fiil Allâh) But fiil, doens't that mean elephant?

I'm sorry, I'm just very very bad at arabic, so I have to learn it like I'm a kid.. Get allllllllllll the explanations(?) etc. :-[

The one I gave to you:
Uhibak Aladhi ahbabtani lahu,
Is the best way to say it....cuz it simply means:

I love you for the sake of Allah. Ignore all of this fiilah.
Yes, feel does mean elephant and its rather confusing. So jst stick to myn.:happy1:

Allah ma3ik

Umm Safiya
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
:giggling:.. Okay ukhti.. JazakAllâh.. :)

Umm Safiya
11-02-2005, 08:40 AM

Allllllrighty.. Here I am again again.. I have another question..

How do you say ukhti in plural in arabic?

BarakAllâhu fiikum..

Umm Safiya
11-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Uh yeah, just thought of something more..

What is du'â in plural?

Jurhumite Solja
11-02-2005, 08:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
The one I gave to you:

Yes, feel does mean elephant and its rather confusing. So jst stick to myn.:happy1:

Allah ma3ik
Actually, Uhibak aladhi ahbabtani lahu doesn't make sense. Rather, Uhibak fee Allah makes more sense. Uhibak Fee Allah means I love you in Allah or for the sake of.

Fee and it's not feel. There is a difference. The word Fee means in or for, in this case, it would mean for the sake of. Similar to saying, Ant Ukhi FEE Al Islam. You're my brother IN islam.

Akhawati

What is du'â in plural?

Ad'eya.

Umm Safiya
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jurhumite Solja
Actually, Uhibak aladhi ahbabtani lahu doesn't make sense. Rather, Uhibak fee Allah makes more sense. Uhibak Fee Allah means I love you in Allah or for the sake of.

Fee and it's not feel. There is a difference. The word Fee means in or for, in this case, it would mean for the sake of. Similar to saying, Ant Ukhi FEE Al Islam. You're my brother IN islam.

Akhawati

What is du'â in plural?

Ad'eya.
JazakAllâhu khayr akhee or ukhtii..!

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=Jurhumite Solja;103915]Actually, Uhibak aladhi ahbabtani lahu doesn't make sense. Rather, Uhibak fee Allah makes more sense. Uhibak Fee Allah means I love you in Allah or for the sake of.

Oooooh....here is the arab einstein I see. Only joking. I actually learnt the dua from a dua book that one of the cleaners from saudi gave to me. She took me to the library in the haram. Gave me loads!!

Allah ma3ak

Jurhumite Solja
11-03-2005, 02:11 AM
Well, it could mean that. Because how you said it exactly means, "I love you for the one you loved me for." It could mean for Allah. But what if you love someone for the sake of love. You know.

But, more accurately, one can say, "Uhibak lillah" or "Uhibak Fillah." Same meaning just different word usage.

Salam

Ra`eesah
11-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
The one I gave to you:

Allah ma3ik
Acually its "Ahabakal lathey ahbabtaney lahu" and that is in reply to when someone says " i love u for the sake of Allah. meaning

Uhibak Aladhi ahbabtani lahu,- May he who u love me for Love you.

now the sis Miss. Ameera feel does mean elephant. but the word in this sentance is "FIL LLAH" 2 words. meaning literally

Fil- In
ALLAH- Allah

so one someone says Inne uhibukey fil llaah. they are saying i love u for the sake of Allah.

and the reply to that would be....

Ahabakal lathey ahbabtaney lahu- May he who u love me for love you.

Ameeratul Layl
11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Acually its "Ahabakal lathey ahbabtaney lahu" and that is in reply to when someone says " i love u for the sake of Allah. meaning

now the sis Miss. Ameera feel does mean elephant. but the word in this sentance is "FIL LLAH" 2 words. meaning literally

Fil- In
ALLAH- Allah

so one someone says Inne uhibukey fil llaah. they are saying i love u for the sake of Allah.

Ahabakal lathey ahbabtaney lahu- May he who u love me for love you.

I was close....:hmm:

Jurhumite Solja
11-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Not to argue but some tiny corrections if you do not mind.

Assalamu'Alaykum
Ok, if it is a reply then it is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. The breakdown of the sentence:
Ahabak, not Ahabkal, is an action word which means, loved you...
Allathee- that
ahababtaney - whom you loved me
Lahu - for

correct. Although, it's hard to write Arabic words using the Latin alphabets.

Fil- In
ALLAH- Allah
You are right. It is two words. However, it's not "fil." It's fee (في), which means in or at.
The two words get combined when pronounced. Meaning, instead of saying fee Allah, it's pronounced as feellah.

so one someone says Inne uhibukey feellah. they are saying i love u for the sake of Allah.

Ahabak allathey ahbabtaney lahu- May he who u love me for love you.
As I said earlier, I'm not trying to argue. I am just trying to explain things so when we learn something we learn it the correct way.

Salam

Ra`eesah
11-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

mashAllah barakallahu feek,however there are no mistakes, it is when writing them out in latian, the "AL" in AhabakAL Lathey- its making the connection between the 2 words. this also makes it " Ma'roof" -a definite article (arabic grammar.)

and " FILLAH" again... making connections

it is not

"FEE ALLAH" no, thats not how it is pronounced so why write it like that? it is pronounced " FILLAH" sa7? so like u said...

I am just trying to explain things so when we learn something we learn it the correct way.

Ameeratul Layl
11-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

mashAllah barakallahu feeki, but ukti there are no mistakes, it is when writing them out in latian, and the "AL" in AhabakAL Lathey- its making the connection between the 2 words.

Okay sis.

Allah ma3ik

Jurhumite Solja
11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

mashAllah barakallahu feek,however there are no mistakes, it is when writing them out in latian, the "AL" in AhabakAL Lathey- its making the connection between the 2 words. this also makes it " Ma'roof" -a definite article (arabic grammar.)

it is not

"FEE ALLAH" no, thats not how it is pronounced so why write it like that? it is pronounced " FILLAH" sa7? so like u said...
I understand it's pronounced as such. But, to make things clear, they are two words. Fee and Allah. However, should you write it in Arabic, are you going to write it this way, "فيالله" as one word or this way, "في الله," as two words?

Ra`eesah
11-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Ok Khair InshAllah akhee whatever u say. Its just transliteration, but i might have made a mistake, barakallahfeek for correcting me.

Khaldun
11-05-2005, 02:44 PM

However the meaning of transliteration is to make it easy to read the word in question and this does not necessarily mean that it has to be a correct potrayal of the "spellt" form of the word, in the light of this "Fillah" would be more correct.

Bittersteel
11-06-2005, 03:02 AM
ﺥﻣﭺﻩﻰﭳﻍ

what does the above word mean?

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-06-2005, 04:00 AM
The letters didn't come out properly.

Bittersteel
11-06-2005, 01:10 PM
ﺥﻣﭺﻩﻰﭳﻍ

umm..now?do I have to make it larger?It is someone's username on a site.

Bittersteel
11-07-2005, 02:57 AM
on another site.

http://forums.filefront.com/member.php?u=129197

Bittersteel
11-07-2005, 07:15 AM
just as I thought.thanks.

Ra`eesah
11-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

from the Jeem with the 3 dots ( chay ) i can concluded its not arabic, its farsi/urdu or what not. and as bro zAk said its not proper.

Umm Safiya
11-10-2005, 08:04 PM

If I say Min Ayna Anta/Anti, does it mean Where are you from? And if I way ayna anta/anti, does it mean Where are you?

virago
11-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Yes, that's right.

MetSudaisTwice
11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
salam
if it is an arabic word what does the word 'tasfia' mean? if it isn't an arabic word but another language word can you tell me the meaning of this word? jazakallah
wasalam

MetSudaisTwice
11-18-2005, 11:29 AM
salam
does anyone know the meaning of the word above?
wasalam

virago
11-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Salaam,

In what sentence did it appear?

ola
11-19-2005, 02:46 PM
its an arabci word as well bro

Bint-Al-Islam
11-20-2005, 06:18 AM

Can anyone tall me wat does ----> Al Wala Wal Bara means?? and give Exampls InshaAllah

*charisma*
11-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Bara-means innocence...
Wala-i have no clue lol

wierd thing is i have 2 cuzzys who have those names

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

*charisma*
11-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

or i think bara cud also be short for barakah meaning good luck

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Umm Safiya
11-20-2005, 12:03 PM

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "The part of an Izar which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire."

What does Izar mean? What is it? Since it has something to do with ankles, then I guess it's some kind of pants??

S_87
11-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "The part of an Izar which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire."

What does Izar mean? What is it? Since it has something to do with ankles, then I guess it's some kind of pants??

yes sis its pants,trousers etc

- Qatada -
11-20-2005, 01:20 PM
"The izar (lower garment) of a Muslim is to the middle of the shin and there is no sin if it comes halfway between that and his ankles, but what comes lower than the ankles is in the Hell-Fire. On the Day of Resurrection Allaah will not look at a man who drags his izar out of arrogance." (Abu Daud, al-Nawawi declared it sahih)

click on the text to read more about it insha Allaah.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

MetSudaisTwice
11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
salam
so if tasfia is an arabic word, what does it mean?
wasalam

virago
11-22-2005, 07:37 AM
ٍSalaam,

Refinement, Purification, Liquidation.

Ameeratul Layl
11-22-2005, 09:02 AM

wats this mean?

ya shiekh wis mahli

Allah ma3akum

virago
11-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Salaam,

"What do I care"

Something on that line.

Ameeratul Layl
11-22-2005, 09:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by virago
Salaam,

"What do I care"

Something on that line.

lol. I hope your not making this up ya akhee.
It has the word: shiekh in it though.:-\

Allah ma3ak

Ra`eesah
11-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Al wala wal baraa :

- allegiance and disvowel
- love and hate
- association and disassociation

ya shiekh was mahli:

Oh Sheikh, please allow me

Ameeratul Layl
11-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

ya shiekh was mahli:

Oh Sheikh, please allow me

oooohhhh...right.

JazakAllah khaiyr ya ukhti/habibati *kind of*

Allah ma3ik

Ameeratul Layl
11-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Akhee ? :?

Virago = Ukhti :brother:

Ooppsss...sorry sis.:playing:

Allah ma3ik
*hah*

MetSudaisTwice
11-23-2005, 03:53 PM
salam
what do the sheikhs say at the end of jummah khutbah? and what does it mean? it starts off something like barakallah fi kum wala kur a nil hakim
waslam

virago
11-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Salaam,

Sorry for the wrong translation Ameeratul Layl

I read it as "Ya Sheikh waish Mali" [I was in a hurry[

Umm Safiya
12-01-2005, 09:50 AM

What does Sabrun jameel mean?
Barak Allâhu fiikum..

Ameeratul Layl
12-01-2005, 09:51 AM

What does Sabrun jameel mean?
Barak Allâhu fiikum..

Patience is sweet.

Allah ma3ik

Umm Safiya
12-03-2005, 11:58 AM

ahhhh okay.. barak allahu fiiki ukhti..

Tasneem
12-04-2005, 12:05 AM
What IS THE MEANING OF HABIBI??

Mrs A
12-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I am sure it means baby
I like a song by Cheb Mami called Vien Vien Habibi - and my husband told me it means baby. Don't know if it also applies to infants or is just an affectionate term for a partner

Umm Safiya
12-04-2005, 12:10 AM

Ukhti, here's a thread where you can ask these questions, and your question is already answered here..

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/5...abic-word.html

Mrs A
12-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Just checked with Mr A and it is an affectionate term for female - not for child

Tasneem
12-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Oh,thank u all for answering my question.
Im fluent in spanish but not in arabic...me and my sis.have been trying to learn arabic but it is soooooooo hard.
I wish i did know arabic,though.

Maheen
12-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I think 'habibi' means 'loved one' or 'friend'.

Wassalamu Alaikum

MetSudaisTwice
12-05-2005, 10:53 AM
salam
what does fi amanillah and fi sabilillah mean in english?
wasalam

MetSudaisTwice
12-05-2005, 11:13 AM
salam
jazakallah bro
wasalam

sapphire
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
FiAmaanillah i thought that was urdu no???

i know the others Arabic....

sapphire
12-05-2005, 12:38 PM
allrite keep your hair on (if u have any:giggling: ) hmmm...alrite.....never knew that...well now i do......

Mawaddah
12-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Ukhti habiby isn't correct if you are considering Arabic grammar.
It's Ukhti alhabibah. You often hear Sheikhs addressing sisters with that term when they are giving talks or such, it's an affectionate term, and can be used if no fitnah is feared.

Fi Amanillah is a term used when two people or more are going different ways, some sort of a farewell. like someone posted earlier it means "In Allahs Protection"

~Raindrop~
12-05-2005, 04:12 PM
salaam
jazakillah sis :)
wassalaam

sapphire
12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
now that its said i realise it is arabic..i remember learning the individual words.....

Umm Safiya
12-06-2005, 10:10 AM

What does these words mean:

ijtihâd
ikhtilâf
mujtahids
mufassirûn
usûl
ma'sheikh
muhaddithûns
fuqahâ's
hudja

Barak Allâhu fiikum..

Mawaddah
12-06-2005, 11:16 AM
ijtihâd : In Islamic meaning it is when a scholar forulates an independent judgment on a theological question (of course based on the application of the usul )
ikhtilâf : It means differences
mujtahid : It means the person who performs the ijtihaad (above)
mufassirûn :Those who perform tafseer of the Qur'aan
usûl : in arabic literature it means 'Principles' or 'fundamentals'.
ma'sheikh : << it's written wrong here, the correct way would be "Mashaayeikh" and it's plural form for "Sheikh" which means scholar
muhaddith&#251;ns : (minus the s ) They are the people who compiled the Hadeeth from the Sahaabah and taabi'een.
fuqah&#226;'s : (minus the 's' also) it can either mean an expert in fiqh (jurisprudence in Islam) or it can either mean an expert reciter of the Qur'an.
hudja : It means proof

Okie dokie :) I hope I helped insha'allah

Tasneem
12-06-2005, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Buthaynah
Habeebi is not 'my dear'. Its 'my darling'.

And I wud recommend you do not say it to brothers....its not the right word to use :)

:coolsis:
I agree.

Umm Safiya
12-07-2005, 10:02 AM

Jazak All&#226;hu khayr ukhti.. :)

Umm Safiya
12-10-2005, 11:53 PM

What does thuma/thumma mean?

Umm Safiya
12-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Then??

So, Ameen, thumma, ameen means, Ameen, then, ameen??

Ameeratul Layl
12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Then??

So, Ameen, thumma, ameen means, Ameen, then, ameen??

Yes, cuz Thuma means then....so its like saying Ameen and then ameen again.:)

Allah ma3ik

Khaldun
12-11-2005, 09:15 PM

It could be understood as Ameen and yet again Ameen, just to re-emphase it

sapphire
12-11-2005, 09:21 PM
so can you keep on saying it...like ameen...thumma ameen...thumma ameen???well people usually stop at the second....but once i heard these people keep going on and i had never heard of it before...but i think they were being silly......

Mawaddah
12-11-2005, 10:03 PM
LOL sis sapphire :D :D you made me laugh, being silly eh? lol.......yeah I've never heard people say it more than twice either. I dont know, maybe they were just being overemotional over a particular du'a or something? lol

sapphire
12-11-2005, 10:19 PM
they were being silly....dnt ask...i walked in and one sed ameen...tehn another sed thumma ameen...then another sed thumma thuma ameen...and it went all muddled and confusing...they are people from my school class....

Mawaddah
12-11-2005, 10:21 PM
ah I see....probably they were having good fun out of it too right? :D

Umm Safiya
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM

I'm back with another word, yet again.. :D

What does dars and halaqa mean, and what's the difference between the two?
The word dars, they use it at the masjid where I go, when they explain a topic for us at sunday.. They call that dars..
And when hizb is talking about a topic they say halaqa..
Barak All&#226;hu fiikum..

Umm Safiya
12-14-2005, 01:38 PM

^^^^^^ plz tell me the meaning of the above!

~Raindrop~
12-14-2005, 01:42 PM
according to my undrstanding:
halaqa is a circle. we used to have them on monday evenings just before bedtime in my school. we'd sit and talk about Islam and its articles or anything related.
and dars could mean lesson

Nawal89
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Dars does mean lesson, or class.

*charisma*
12-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

lesson

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Umm Safiya
12-15-2005, 06:55 PM

Okay, barak allahu fiikum..

i got some more words,
what does hazrat and sayyidena mean?..

Umm Safiya
12-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Can someone plz tell me the meaning of the above? ^^

بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ <- This I can read..

بنيامين نتانياهو يفوز بزعامة حزب الليكود في الاقتراع الداخلي الذي تم الاثنين متفوقا على منافسه الرئيسي <-- How can you read that, when there's only letters, and not those signs as fatha, kasra etc.? How do you know that it should be fatha instead of kasra, when they aren't there? I don't understand it!:sister:

safwana
12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Ms. Amira;130858]:sl:

بنيامين نتانياهو يفوز بزعامة حزب الليكود في الاقتراع الداخلي الذي تم الاثنين متفوقا على منافسه الرئيسي <-- How can you read that, when there's only letters, and not those signs as fatha, kasra etc.? How do you know that it should be fatha instead of kasra, when they aren't there? I don't understand it!:sister:

this you can only read if you no the arabic grammer.when you need to put the fatha kasra and dhammah.

Nawal89
12-20-2005, 04:21 PM
I can read it but i dont understand all the words.. Benyamin Natania huwa yafuz biza'amat hizb alyakud fil iqtira' addakhili alladhi tamma alithnain mutafawwiqan ala munafasah arra'eesi...

Hmm.. i need a dictionary :D

SunniMuslimah
12-24-2005, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

ukhty al habeeby

What does it mean?
ukhty means my sister

habeeby means my love

al means the

SunniMuslimah
12-24-2005, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=safwana;130966]

بنيامين نتانياهو يفوز بزعامة حزب الليكود في الاقتراع الداخلي الذي تم الاثنين متفوقا على منافسه الرئيسي <-- How can you read that, when there's only letters, and not those signs as fatha, kasra etc.? How do you know that it should be fatha instead of kasra, when they aren't there? I don't understand it!:sister: :w:

"How do you know that it should be fatha instead of kasra, when they aren't there?"

Mainly by practice and knowing more about Arabic rules and reading Arabic more.

One good way to do so is to read Quran in Arabic more and to study its words and meanings. You will have doube benefits: studying Quran Karim and practicing Arabic too. :coolsis:

Peace,
Basma

SunniMuslimah
12-24-2005, 05:59 PM
The meaning of the Arabic text is "Benjamin Netenyaho wins the the Likud Party leadership in the internal voting that happened Monday (and) having victory over his major competitor"

SunniMuslimah
12-24-2005, 06:08 PM

I'm back with another word, yet again.. :D

What does dars and halaqa mean, and what's the difference between the two?
The word dars, they use it at the masjid where I go, when they explain a topic for us at sunday.. They call that dars..
And when hizb is talking about a topic they say halaqa..
Barak Allâhu fiikum..

dars is a lesson, they call that dars because they give u a lesson/dars in each time.

Halaqa is a circle, we in the arabic region sits in a circle with the teacher so we can all see him/her talking, we call this halaqa or circle.

Hizb is a party or group of people

Anything more i'm at ur service, im an Arab :coolsis:

Umm Safiya
12-25-2005, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SunniMuslimah
dars is a lesson, they call that dars because they give u a lesson/dars in each time.

Halaqa is a circle, we in the arabic region sits in a circle with the teacher so we can all see him/her talking, we call this halaqa or circle.

Hizb is a party or group of people

Anything more i'm at ur service, im an Arab :coolsis:

Barak Allâhu fiiki ukhti!

Hizb ut-Tahrir, they say; 'When are you coming to halawa' and in the masjid where I come, they say: 'When are you coming to dars', and I didn't know the difference!
But at the masjid, we sit in a circle and listen to the teacher, so then thats halaqa too, or?

MuslimaH~SistaH
12-27-2005, 04:33 PM

ukhty al habeeby

What does it mean?
Well,Ukhty means sister,and Habeeby means Dear.

Dear sister = Ukhty al habeeby.

Andaraawus
12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
As-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters

i would just like to say that Arabic Grammar is easy when you put in effort, you will be able to read Arabic without the vowels when you know your verb, subject object, proper and common nouns feminine masculine singular dual and plurals and the rules that go with them, types of sentences,
i hope that sounded easy .loooooooool ...it does take effort .

you can learn all the basics to help you on your way in 2 months if you really try hard .... but myself im lazy and slow ... i have seen others do it and even know one person who completed half a years work in two weeks ...so i wish alll those who have the desire to learn all the best on this journey ....wasalams :w:

Andaraawus
12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
infact theres a mistake in my signitare ...i wonder if anybody can spot it ...wasalams

Umm Safiya
01-01-2006, 06:07 PM

What does Wabillah Tawfiq mean?
And do I say:
a) Inti wallahi sukkar
b) Anti wallahi sukkar
c) Wallahi inti sukkar
d) Wallahi anti sukkar
- or doesn't it matter what I say?

Barak All&#226;hu fikum..

Andaraawus
01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
and with Allah is sucess ...

d) Wallahi anti sukkar

inti is slang for anti ...wasalams

and does that translate:

by Allah you are sugar? (refereing to a feamale= anti)

Umm Safiya
01-01-2006, 06:25 PM

A sis told me inti wallahi sukkar means wallah you are sweet as sugar.. aint that right then??

Andaraawus
01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
As-Salamu alaykum, im not an expert ....i guess that you can use sukaar for sweet as sugar is sweet and get away with it ...the Arabic language is very free like that....wasalams

Ra`eesah
01-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

they are all correct, just depends on the dilect of arabi one speaks.

Takumi
01-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

I believe the more appropriate word is HabibAtiy with a fathah not HabibIty.

Ra`eesah
01-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

na3am, but no one types it like that :)

- Qatada -
01-15-2006, 02:50 PM
:salamext:

'Ya3ni', and 'tayab' i hear them alot in lectures.. so i wondered what their meaning is?

:wasalamex

Ra`eesah
01-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Ya`ni = Like;kinda/kind of

example I : " Its like, I don't know how to explain it."

example II : " It was Kinda like this color."

Tayib = ok; alright

example I : "Ok, that sounds good."

example II : " Alright, I am going now, see you tomorrow."

There is not really much of a big difference, but I made these examples so that you will be able to grasp the meaning.

- Qatada -
01-15-2006, 03:06 PM
:wasalamex

tayib, i understand now. jazak Allaah khayr..

:salamext:

Takumi
01-16-2006, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ra`eesah
Assalamu'Alaykum

na3am, but no one types it like that :)

I was referring to the second letter "ba" in the word habibaty. The proper way is to have it maftooh instead of it being saakin or maksoor since the original word is "habibah".

It doesn't matter if people don't write it like that. We should do it the correct way, unless you can prove to me that the word habibaty has a 2nd "ba" with sokoon or kasrah, I will rest my case.

Thanks.

Umm Safiya
01-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Shukrulill&#226;h or Shukran All&#226;h.. Which one should a person say!? And are there other ways of saying thank you?

afriend
01-31-2006, 06:25 PM
1)how do you say Storm

2) how do u say lightining

Ra`eesah
01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
I was referring to the second letter "ba" in the word habibaty. The proper way is to have it maftooh instead of it being saakin or maksoor since the original word is "habibah".

It doesn't matter if people don't write it like that. We should do it the correct way, unless you can prove to me that the word habibaty has a 2nd "ba" with sokoon or kasrah, I will rest my case.

Thanks.
This is not a debate for you to 'rest your case'. However, barakallahfeek for pointing that out, May Allaah increse me in Ilm. ~Aameen. I guess I do not know much of the arabi language, I will leave it for those who have better understanding, i.e You and the likes.

Forgive me if I have mislead anyone.

sapphire
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
there is more than one type of arabic spoke...and there are types where other arabic speakers dont understand a word others talk.....subhanallah Ra'eesah u know arabic well its your mother tongue!!!!innit???:-\

afriend
01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
does Araad ullah mean Lightning of Allah?

ola
01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
bro itz raad ullah not aradullah
and raad means the sound of thunder as for barq it is the ligtening

fantaxxy_moon
01-31-2006, 09:08 PM
araad ullah , means the land of allah, araad actually means earth..
format_quote Originally Posted by fozley
does Araad ullah mean Lightning of Allah?

Hemoo
01-31-2006, 09:19 PM
well done sister Ra`eesah

wa assalam alykom

Khaldun
02-01-2006, 10:05 PM

AraadAllaho = Wish of Allah

'Maada AraadAllahu biHaada Mathala'

Umm Safiya
02-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Is this how you write wabillah tawfiq?
ﻖﻴﻓﻭﺗ ﷲﺑﻭ

Khaldun
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM

It came out abit wrong i believe...:X looks like you got it the reverse way loq

Umm Safiya
02-06-2006, 11:25 AM

It looks fine here?
Are the letters all messed up when you look at 'em!?

Khaldun
02-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Oh is it just me? :rollseyes

sorry when i look at it, it starts with the letter "Qaaf" and goes backwards.

Umm Safiya
02-06-2006, 11:37 AM
I'll try posting it again..

ﻖﻴﻓﻭﺗ ﷲﺑﻭ

Duhaa
02-06-2006, 11:43 AM
The way I see it there are boxes instead of the baa, taa and qaaf.
But Masha Allah it looks right, well done sister.

Khaldun
02-06-2006, 11:44 AM

I still see it the same way, I bet its just me so inshAllah dont worry :brother:

Umm Safiya
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Great.. I'm taking a screenshot then..

This is what it looks like:

Duhaa
02-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Great, now you can see it clearly and it sure looks like the spellings i have seen.

Umm Safiya
02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
ﻭﺑﺎﷲ
ﷲﺎﺑﻭ
Like that!?

Umm Safiya
02-20-2006, 11:59 AM

What's the difference between a'udhubillah and na'udhubillah?

Umm Safiya
02-20-2006, 12:40 PM

Ahh, cool.. Barak All&#226;hu feek akhee..

Hey, can you say a'udhubillahi ta'&#226;la?

Umm Safiya
02-20-2006, 04:36 PM

Alright, jazak All&#226;hu khayr..

Got another one.. What does bi'idhnillah or something mean?

Umm Safiya
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh.. Barak All&#226;hu fik.. Can you write it in arabic insh&#226;'All&#226;h, then I would be so happy! :) Jazak All&#226;hu khayr..

Swords of mercy
02-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Alright, jazak Allâhu khayr..

Got another one.. What does bi'idhnillah or something mean?
بإذن الله

people here in egypt says : be'iznillah ...But the right way to pronounce it is : Be'ithnillah
the Th is pronounced like in the words ( The ) , (they) & ( those)

also Bi which means (with ) is not pronounced like beeeeeee , no no , But its lightly pronounced : be ...very simple !!

Falafel Eater
02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Ukhti Habibi is incorrect in Arabic..

The person should have said.. Habibati ........ Habibi is Masculine !! it means my beloved!

and anyway, the man should not have said that to a Muslim sister.

Umm Safiya
02-28-2006, 09:44 AM

If I say, takallum danmarkiyya min fadlak, what does that mean then?

And how do I spell Amira? I've been told 3 different ways, so now I'm confused..

Umm Safiya
02-28-2006, 02:54 PM
wat r those 3 ?
I can't spell it in arabic, because the letters won't be like I want them to.. One of them is, alif with a fatha, meem with a kasra and ra with a fatha..
The other one is alif with a fatha, meem with a kasra and yaa with sukuun and ra with a fatha..
The third one is alif with a fatha, meem with a kasra, yaa with sukuun, ra with a fatha and haa with sukuun..
Can you please spell Amira in arabic, the correct way? :)

Swords of mercy
02-28-2006, 03:14 PM

the right way is :

أَمِيْرَة

by the way the ( Tashkeel ) of last letter depends on the place of the word in the sentence.

alif with fat-ha
meem with kasra
ya with sukoon
ra with fat-ha

Umm Safiya
03-05-2006, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Swords of mercy
( Tashkeel )

What's that?

& hiya jameelatun wa huwa jameelun, means she is beautiful and he is beautiful, right!? :)

Umm Safiya
03-06-2006, 02:54 PM

I don't understand why ة is used in Amira.. My name isn't Amirat, it's AmiRA.. So why not just have a ha at the end? :?

Swords of mercy
03-07-2006, 09:42 PM

Fat-ha , kasra , damma ...etc are called signs of tashkeel . ( 3alamat al- tashkeel)

ة

!

If i just Say : Amira . then i stop , So its pronounced Amira as witten in English -------> Amira

OK?

But if i want to put it in a sentence like for example

هذه أميرة الإسلام أو هذه أميرة المنتدى

which means : This is the princess of Isalm or this is the princess of the fourm

its pronounced : Hathhi Amirat ulislam Aw Hathhi Amiratul muntada

th here is pronounced like in the words ( the , they , those)

So in few words : ة is different that ت

1- ة called Ta'a Mrbotah ( tight ta'a) <---- just my translation , in the middle of a sentence its pronounced T but if you are going to stop its pronouced H
2-ت Called Ta'a & its T whereever you find it

last point :

names are special cases : So simply don't worry about your name ..just say : I'm Amira ,

life
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
what does yalla means?

MetSudaisTwice
03-09-2006, 12:52 PM
salam
Ya allah= O Allah
wasalam

أحمد
03-09-2006, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by life
what does yalla means?

:) "Yalla" means to hurry up, you hear it like e.g. "Yalla bi Suro'aa" (meaning, "Hurry up, Quick!"). It's not a very formal way of speaking.

mizan_aliashraf
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM

I don't understand why ة is used in Amira.. My name isn't Amirat, it's AmiRA.. So why not just have a ha at the end? :?

Because if you join your name 'Amira' with another word, it is pronounced 'Amiratul-(whatever). It is not Amriahul-(whatever)
Amira means leader (feminine) so you have to be a leader of something
Hope this helps
Wassalam

Umm Safiya
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Barak Allâhu fikum..

format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
Amira means leader (feminine) so you have to be a leader of something
I have to be a leader of something, before I can be called Amira? :? & it means princess too, does that mean I have to be a princess!? :? I'm just kidding, I know I don't.. :giggling:

Anyways.. So if a ayah in al-Qur'ân ends with ة then I shouldn't pronounce it, but instead just pronounce it like that letter without the dots ontop.. And what is this letter called anyway ة

M H Kahn
03-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Thank you brother and sisters.

Now can I brother say this to you innocently? Or there could be something behind it?
Of course, you may use the expression in an innocent sense. But it depends on the attitude towards you of the man whom you address like this. If his is an evil mind, he may smell romance in it. You can neither know nor control inner thought of someone else.

Cookie Monster
03-12-2006, 10:59 PM

If I say, takallum danmarkiyya min fadlak, what does that mean then?

And how do I spell Amira? I've been told 3 different ways, so now I'm confused..
takallum danmarkiyya min fadlak
meaning..."speak in german please"...:rollseyes

u lot r encouragin me to retire, i teach arabic bt u lot r makin me think twice..
;D :happy: ;D

Umm Safiya
03-13-2006, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
takallum danmarkiyya min fadlak
meaning..."speak in german please"...:rollseyes

u lot r encouragin me to retire, i teach arabic bt u lot r makin me think twice..
;D :happy: ;D

Lol, speak in german? Don't you mean speak in danish? :giggling:
jazak allahu khayr..

جوري
06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Assalamu alaikum

I think we need an Arabic speaker to verify, but I thought it was Habeebti for sisters? and Habeebi for brothers?

btw, Ukhtee means My sister, Ukht means sister
Sometimes we use the masculine in Arabic poetry and literature to denote the feminine as it makes it more acceptable (I haven't read all 12 pages here) to see if someone has already covered that. But we call the little kids with habibi both gals and guys and it is a term of endearment.
If you read robaiyat el khayam you'd notice much of it is used in the masculine unfortunately leading western 'scholars' to believe it is some sort of homoerotic literature. It is not. They simply don't understand the culture.
You even see in the Quran that the masculine is more often used t describe certain things a reward for instance in paradise but it isn't meant as an exclusion of females. It is that the nature of women is shyness and putting them on the spot is perceived as unacceptable.

and Allah swt knows best

oh yes p.s: habibi = my love

Bint-e-Adam
09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
My darling sister as i think :(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.