/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Global Peace and Unity - AFTERTHOUGHTS

azim
12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Salaam.

I realise there is another topic similar to this, but I hope that since that was created for discussion up to the event - this could remain seperate and talk about after the event (perhaps close the earlier thread).

Jazakallah.

I went to the event myself with brothers from Cardiff, there were 10 of us travelling together. Alhamdulillah it was a very good event with some very good speakers. It was nice to see such an amazing turnout with some many people. I was slightly disappointed that 'The Knowledge Room' thing didn't happen, and also that they never really explained what it was. Some of the key speakers (such as Yusuf Estes etc...) definately needed some more time and the politicians less time (although some had some very important things to say). Overall, considering this was a first time event and the mass of people who attended (25,000!!!) it was amazing.

Btw - Yvonne Ridley! Didn't realise see was like that at all, alhamdulillah, an amazing speech.

Favourite quote of the day - George Galloway - "If they invade Damascus... we will not protest on the streets of England, we will RIOT!" ..*nervous applaude while looking around for goverment spies*

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
TEH
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
OK, from the other thread...

I was really dissapointed, no segregation, brother and sisters sitting together laughing, cheering, whistling, clapping, chanting, singing, shrieking.
No segregation on the streets either, do you never go out? Did you ever think those brothers and sisters could be family? Whats wrong with laughing, whistling, clapping? I was there and I didnt hear any shrieking and the only people that chanted or sang were the performers...

I agree though, some sort of segregation would have been better...

And also, they were clapping to the adhaan??
Unless someone can actually say that they heard people clap after the Adhaan, it didnt happen, I was there, I didnt hear any...

think twice before making excuses for such apalling events.
Why was it appaling? Are you saying then that people like Zakir Naik attend appalling events?

but the clapping....!!!!
What about the clapping??

i mean bros and sis were sitting together even prayed in same room...dont think thats islamical
Yes they were sitting together in families, and why cant brothers and sisters pray in the same room?? I do think though they should have blocked the sisters off completely with a higher sheet...

but i heard it was a shamble and very disorganised
I assure you it wasnt...

salam
i didn't go to the event as soon as i found out that SAS will not be coming, the event was too political and i don't think the event was that good
wasalam
LOL, you didnt go because an Imam didnt come? Even though there were other scholars there? Anyway, why wasnt it that good??

was too political and there was nasheeds which i don't like
That doesnt make the event bad does it... :)

There was also a lot of bad stuff, ie clapping, freemixing etc.
I kinda agree as ive said about the freemixing, but clapping is bad??

Now then, what did I think? I thought it was a start, I thought it rather be positive than negative, has something on this scale ever been tried before, no it hasnt...

I agree, some sort of segregation would have been good, but clapping? Clapping isnt haraam...

I brought a non Muslim friend, and do you know what, he really enjoyed it, in fact, a non Muslim lady converted right there on the stage...

So all I say is to look at the good points aswell as the bad...

:)

Sahabiyaat
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
i watched it all on t.v :)
it was EXCELLENT!

arrghh i wish i cuda been there
a classmate of mine did attend and made me very jealous by telling me just how amazing it was.

lol was funny wen the guy presenting it picked up that lil lost kid
and sed stuff like 'if u have lost a husband or a wife or a dear one plz go to such and such place' lol that cracked me up.

i missed doc zakir tho :-\ sob...

Arwa
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
:sl:

I gorra agree.. It was really good masha'Allah. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sahabiyaat
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
u went aswell ?

TEH
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=muslimahimprovin;123490]lol was funny wen the guy presenting it picked up that lil lost kidQUOTE]

That little kid was such cuteness...

:loving:

Arwa
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Nopes. Watched it on TV :)

Sahabiyaat
12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
oh i see :)

i know that kid was sooo cute
MashaAllah he was fat and fair
and he sounded so cute wen he sed helllooo into the mike
how much was he selling for 2,999..lol i wud have gladly bought him.

Eric H
12-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Greetings and peace to you all,

Come on you guys there had to be more to the conference than a child finding service.

Did they come up with any suggestions as to how peace or unity might happen?

What do we have to do for peace and unity?

In the spirit of searching for peace with justice

Eric

Far7an
12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Assalamu alaikum

No segregation on the streets either, do you never go out? Did you ever think those brothers and sisters could be family?
Firstly leaving the house is a neccasity, attending such events is not. If you watched the programme on Islam Channel, you would have noticed, the camera at times was focused on the women. In case you didn't know, we should be lowering our gaze upon seeing the opposite gender. The same applies when we leave our houses. Maybe the families were sitting together, but since when was Sheikh Ibrahim Mogra related to the woman he was seated next to (I have nothing against the sheikh, but this is the easiest example I could give)
I was there and I didnt hear any shrieking and the only people that chanted or sang were the performers...
You mean, you were able to hear all 25, 000 who attended the event? During one of the performance of a naat he encouraged all "brothers and sisters" to join him. I do not remember his name, but the lyrics of the naat were...

my god and your god are the same
the paths are only different

Unless someone can actually say that they heard people clap after the Adhaan, it didnt happen, I was there, I didnt hear any...
Once the adhaan for 'Isha salah was over, there was clapping, to say it did not happen, is a lie, because I saw it, and heard it.

Why was it appaling? Are you saying then that people like Zakir Naik attend appalling events?
I am not making any comments in regards to the sheikh, if anything he brought back a little respect to the event.

What about the clapping??
Clapping isnt haraam...
Please refer to what the 'ulema have to say about this, and stop making rulings without 'ilm (knowledge)
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=20047&dgn=4

We are trying to justify the events that took place, by saying some good came out of it? Allah tells in the Qur'an that there are also benefits to drinking alcohol, but the bad far outweighs the good, therefore it is forbidden.

Also please read the article by Yusuf Al Qardawi, titled..

Good Intentions Do Not Make the Haram Acceptable

Finally, I would like to leave you with the words of our beloved prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)..

"Every religion has a quality that is characteristic of that religion, and the characteristic of my religion is haya."

Did we get any feeling of haya from observing this event?

- Qatada -
12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace to you all,

Come on you guys there had to be more to the conference than a child finding service.

Did they come up with any suggestions as to how peace or unity might happen?

What do we have to do for peace and unity?

In the spirit of searching for peace with justice

Eric
hey eric, it came on islam channel (channel 837) i think.. on sky digital, you could have watched it. :) lol but its over now..

ifi
12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
salaams

I went to the event and found it quite interesting and most of the speakers wer very good. i started a thread without knowing bout this one so mine is kinda pointless. yeh the seperation of men and women cud hav been done betta considering the size of the hall... it wudnt hav been hard keepin about 5 metre gap..... oh well atleast they can improve it 4 next year and i hope it continues 4 years to com.

i am sad to say but the guy above is rite in sayin ppl did clap after the 'Isha call to prayer. som ppl neva cease 2 amaze me.....

ok to conclude i thought the event was very good but had a few flaws.... but sayin that it was the first of its kind

Salaams

Noor
12-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Did anyone of you who attended the conference write any notes down? If so, what was one piece of information that you thought was amazing? Who was your favourite speaker, and why? What points did you take home? What points do you think will benefit the members on this forum?

:w:

TEH
12-05-2005, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
In case you didn't know, we should be lowering our gaze upon seeing the opposite gender. The same applies when we leave our houses. Maybe the families were sitting together, but since when was Sheikh Ibrahim Mogra related to the woman he was seated next to (I have nothing against the sheikh, but this is the easiest example I could give)
I agree with you, the camera should not have done that, and yes, brothers and sisters should not have been sitting together, if they were non mehram, but that doesnt make the event haraam, it makes the people sinful...

You mean, you were able to hear all 25, 000 who attended the event? During one of the performance of a naat he encouraged all "brothers and sisters" to join him. I do not remember his name, but the lyrics of the naat were...

my god and your god are the same
the paths are only different
Yes he did, did you hear anyone actually do it?? And whose lyrics were they??

Once the adhaan for 'Isha salah was over, there was clapping, to say it did not happen, is a lie, because I saw it, and heard it.
Well then, I apologise, for I did not hear it, then again, they were expressing their praise, that was all..

Please refer to what the 'ulema have to say about this, and stop making rulings without 'ilm (knowledge)
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=20047&dgn=4
That is one opinion bro, just as this,

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...1&ID=7&CATE=30

is another. Perhaps it would have been better for you to ask me for a source than speaking without knowledge... :)

One more thing, the source that you gave also says that it could be disliked, and not haraam...

Also please read the article by Yusuf Al Qardawi, titled..
Bro, I dont disagree with you there, but like I said, I think there were more good points than you gave credit for...

Did we get any feeling of haya from observing this event?
My non Muslim friend who I brought with me, he said, I have never seen so many Niqaabis or Hijaabis in my life, and you know what, I agreed with him..

Eric H
12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Greetings and peace Akhee,

I am genuinely interested in unity and peace and even though I am a Christian I would still like to understand how unity can be approached through Islam.

I am more interested in interfaith friendships and relations and I had hoped that this would have been mentioned.

So far the comments about the conference have been to do with seating arrangements, lost children, applause and generalizations.

Like Noor says lets have some details.

Thank you TEH for this comment.

my God and your God are the same.
the paths are only different.

In the spirit of seeking interfaith friendships

Eric

TEH
12-05-2005, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace Akhee,

I am genuinely interested in unity and peace and even though I am a Christian I would still like to understand how unity can be approached through Islam.

I am more interested in interfaith friendships and relations and I had hoped that this would have been mentioned.

So far the comments about the conference have been to do with seating arrangements, lost children, applause and generalizations.

Like Noor says lets have some details.

Thank you TEH for this comment.

my God and your God are the same.
the paths are only different.

In the spirit of seeking interfaith friendships

Eric
Wo ho, dude, hold up, I did not say that, supposedly one of the artists did, and Im just waiting for Bro Farhan to tell me which...

Muslimah81
12-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Salaams to all

I think like many, I have some positive and negative things to say about the global peace and unity event.

Negative Points:

The organisation of the prayer section for brothers and sisters was probably the most negative part of the event for me. Sisters were exposed to brothers whilst praying, 4ft screens were not sufficient as a barrier. The entrance for the prayer hall was narrow and as I was emerging after the maghrib prayer I was pushed into the crowd and suddenly found myself stuck between hundreds of brothers and not a single sister in sight! I felt so sick and disgusting because people were crushed against each other – Astagfirullah I must have bumped into atleast 50 brothers.

During one of the jamaats, whilst the imam was leading the prayer, sami yusufs musical nasheeds could be heard quite loudly in the background.

Food was charged at a colossal price.

I had to leave at 5.00 so after ALL that I missed the main attraction – which for me was Dr Zakir Naik.

When I left the conference, I was dissatisfied. I don’t know why, but I was expecting the same feeling when I left the jimaas conference earlier on this year! Then I realised it wasn’t really a spiritual Islamic event (i.e. learning about Tawhid, Islamic Fiq e.t.c). …..it was more a political event sprinkled with spiritually uplifting talks from muslims like yasir qadi and Zakir Naik.

Positive Points:

I seriously believe that things can only get better (Man! I sound like Tony Blair when he was promoting New Labour :p)

All credit due to Islam Channel for taking on such a master feat. It must have been near impossible to have anticipated all the logistical problems that occurred during this event. This was probably the biggest Muslim gathering in the UK ever attempted….so well done Islam channel.

Since it was promoted as a mainstream muslim event it was recognised and attended by politicians and other well known non muslims. So in some ways it felt like the Muslims in the Uk were actually being noticed and taken seriously for once!

Its not everyday that Muslims in the UK are surrounded by over 20,000 other Muslims.

Finally, it appears that those who watched the event live on TV enjoyed it more than those who were actually there! Next time I think I’ll be watching it from the couch inshaAllah.

Wa- alaikum salaam

azim
12-06-2005, 12:21 AM
I agree with some of the comments about the clapping after Isha adhaan (I think it was because someone performed it on stage, as if its a performance) and disorgansation however as far as freemixing while sitting went, I did see whole blocks devoted to sisters (probably not intentionally but self-made by the sisters) and the same for the brothers. For the large part on families seemed to be mixed.

I'd say the source of most of these problems is that the scope was too broad, there were politicians, nasheed singers, lectures and scholars all in the same event. Thus you get a mix of people attending for different reasons and a bit of a haphazard event.

In support of the event however - like Sheikh Tariq Suwaidan said, our elders had a immigrant mentality coming to this country. We, as the later generation view this as our home, and we should spread the message and do things for our deen. I think this is one of the most important things the muslim youth need to hear.

The Global Unity and Peace Event was a first time event, it had problems but alhamdulillah it was a step forward. If you think 'this shouldnt have happened' or 'they should've done this' then instead of sitting, pointing out its problems saying this and that is haram, participate in helping the next event and make it better and more Islamic.

Alhamdulillah, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK - but in a survey done by the BBC recently, over 1/3 of people said they had no idea what Islam is about.

This 1/3 - about 18 million people - have NO IDEA about the message of Islam. How many of this 1/3 are muslims waiting to receive the message. Events like the Global Unity are the sort of things which spread this message. I was suprised by the amount of non-muslims I saw there, simply hearing of the event may prompt a non-muslim to investigate Islam.

I dont think anyone can rightfully say that the event wasnt a step in the right direction and inshallah we can do it again, even better and bigger next year.

Umm Yoosuf
12-06-2005, 05:21 AM
I didn't go and didn't want to go either. Something just put me off it.

Far7an
12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Assalamu alaikum

but that doesnt make the event haraam, it makes the people sinful...
If a brother was assigned to seat A1, and a sister who is not related to him, to seat A2, surely the organisers are responsbile for this? The people did not have a choice as to wear they could be seated. Akhee said in a post, in the previous thread...

its funny cz the presenters gota keep remindin the people to get to their proper seats.
I am using this quote to support the fact, that each person had a seat which they were assigned to.

Yes he did, did you hear anyone actually do it?? And whose lyrics were they??
I would not have said it, if I had not heard or seen it myself. The naat was in urdu, and he later translated it into english. The naat singer was Najam Sheraz.

Well then, I apologise, for I did not hear it, then again, they were expressing their praise, that was all..
I am sure you are aware of the islamic ruling on praising someone, and ask yourself, is this kind of behaviour appropriate?

That is one opinion bro, just as this,
The fatwa you provided, actually advised against it....

As such, it would be best to avoid it. But given that most scholars have not considered it impermissible, it is not something one should normally correct others about, except through good, sincere advice.
If you feel, my naseehah was not appropriate, then I apologise, I am not arguing for the sake of it.

One more thing, the source that you gave also says that it could be disliked, and not haraam...
I did not say it was haraam.
Wo ho, dude, hold up, I did not say that, supposedly one of the artists did, and Im just waiting for Bro Farhan to tell me which...
From the above statement, you are implying that I made this up, I have provided the name of the artist, please read above.

Barakallahu feekum..

Once again, I would like to apologise if I have upset anyone with my comments, this is not what I intended.

Danish
12-06-2005, 02:49 PM
well i thought the event had waaaaaaaaaaaaay tooo much poilitics in it and less islam

my fav speaker was ZAaaaaaaaaaaaaakir naik and george was emotional too

azim
12-06-2005, 03:15 PM
If a brother was assigned to seat A1, and a sister who is not related to him, to seat A2, surely the organisers are responsbile for this? The people did not have a choice as to wear they could be seated. Akhee said in a post, in the previous thread...
Just so you know brother the seating was not done like that. They had VVIP seating, VIP seating and then normal ticket holder seating. The problem was that since VIP seating (green seats) were for the mainpart empty, some normal ticket holders had felt tempted to sit in the VIP seating and thus the need for the announcement telling people to return to their correct seating area.

I honestly dont believe there was any freemixing with the seating - there were more seats then there were people. The only area where I believe freemixing was a problem was in the exhibition area, it was very packed and often sisters and brothers would be in very close proximity, it was a problem and inshallah next time it will be resolved.

TEH
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
If a brother was assigned to seat A1, and a sister who is not related to him, to seat A2, surely the organisers are responsbile for this? The people did not have a choice as to wear they could be seated. Akhee said in a post, in the previous thread
Like Bro Azim said, it was not arranged like that, people could sit where they wanted to, seats were not designated...

The naat was in urdu, and he later translated it into english. The naat singer was Najam Sheraz.
Ahh, do you have the name of that naat bro??

I am sure you are aware of the islamic ruling on praising someone, and ask yourself, is this kind of behaviour appropriate?
For you and me, I guess not, but considering most of the brother and sisters that came to the event, were Muslim by name characters, and it isnt haraam...

The fatwa you provided, actually advised against it....
Yes it did, but it did not call it haraam...

I did not say it was haraam
I know you didnt, but when I said it was not haraam, you said...

All I was saying was, that it wasnt haraam, and please remember, not all Muslims have the same amount of Imam... :)

From the above statement, you are implying that I made this up, I have provided the name of the artist, please read above.
I apologise again...

Once again, I would like to apologise if I have upset anyone with my comments, this is not what I intended.
I would like to apologise if I upset anyone, it is neither what I intended. I just wanted people to understand that even though the problem had its problems, had its negative elements, good also came out of it. Most of the people would have been sitting at home, or even gone out partying, but instead they interacted with many Muslims, for some who were much better Muslims than them, and so Insha Allah I hope they too also became better Muslims...

It is a start...

Isma'el
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Salaam

I ddnt go to the event, but watched it on telly....was very dissapointed,,men +women sitting 2gether,,laughting, shouting,,it was more like a concert to me..

We muslims r suffering every where...the money could have saved thousands of live.

Ulama have explained why we r suffing? we have 4gotten the Sunna and Quran...

Allahu akbar ther are soo many Good & pious alims in uk....and when ther a lecture given by them no1 turns up!...only the regulars

but give them some entertainment and thousands turnup......

Sorry if i heart any one by saying this........but i jst cannot comprehend a gathering like this,,,when in the back of my head i could see women n children dieing in iraq,pakistan etc...

Plz 4give me.

s_r_ahmed
12-07-2005, 02:43 PM
assalaamulaykum
i went to the global unity event and over alll it was wikid!!!!!!

the security people in the bright yellow were soooooo rudeeeeeeeeee, they were unbelievably racist!!!! got me so angry!!!!!!!!!!

and the organisation was also very poor.... i missed dawud wharsnby,,, im gutted about that but insha allah next year it will be beta, insha allah they will learn from their mistakes!

my cousin had a stall there and went to prepare it on saturda, and i went along and ahmed bukhatir was rehursing so i got to see him from the vvip seats wen there was no one there!!!!!!!!!!! so that kinda makes up for not seeing D.Wharnsby.

the speeches by yvonne ridley, g galloway were strong!!!!! in george gallowway muslim??? he sed stuff like our ummah n stuff....
ws

azim
12-07-2005, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isma'el
Salaam

I ddnt go to the event, but watched it on telly....was very dissapointed,,men +women sitting 2gether,,laughting, shouting,,it was more like a concert to me..

We muslims r suffering every where...the money could have saved thousands of live.

Ulama have explained why we r suffing? we have 4gotten the Sunna and Quran...

Allahu akbar ther are soo many Good & pious alims in uk....and when ther a lecture given by them no1 turns up!...only the regulars

but give them some entertainment and thousands turnup......

Sorry if i heart any one by saying this........but i jst cannot comprehend a gathering like this,,,when in the back of my head i could see women n children dieing in iraq,pakistan etc...

Plz 4give me.
I agree brother that it seemed for the majority it seemed their niyyah for going was entertainment rather than gaining knowledge. It was quite funny to see teenage boys dressed up like 50 cent with huge limps walking into a lecture - but alhamdulillah, inshallah they'll learn something.

afriend2
12-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters, i though the event was so nice that i have even written a letter of thanks to mohamad ali. Alhamdolillah people were brought closer to the word of Allah, and inshAllah the title of the event is exactly what happened and what will be a start to the uniting of the muslim Ummah and us fighting in the name of Allah and living to the maximum of ways muslims should live. :brother: :sister:

the only complaint i had was that i had school the next day, so inshAllah next time it will be in a more convenient day when i can have more that a couple of hours sleep as i live far from the place it took place. but all in all it was a magnificent concert but i wished i could hear more of the scholares especially dr. zakir naik as my family and i had been waiting for him to appear all day and his classes were cancelled. but this is only the begininning! :loving: :peace: :loving:

Mujahideen
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
sup ma beautiful broders and sistas, the Global Unity was really good coz it gave us a chance to see how much we'll be able to acheive if we were strongly united. i know there were some down sides, may allah 4give us, but i know islam channel were a bit stressed out, next year inshallah we as a community should help them make it better.
wassalam, may allah keep us on the straight path

MuslimWays
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Fantastic Event, enjoyed most of it, except the live video broadcasting from Pakistan, wat the hell was that about? I was sittin on the floor that time, waiting for Zakir Naik to come out of the room, lolz

heres some of the pics n videos thats people has submitted:

http://www.muslimways.com/forum/index.php?topic=1242.0

:peace:

MetSudaisTwice
12-09-2005, 09:48 AM
salam
jazakallah for the link bro
wasalam

eyes_of_mine
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Salam Alykum

I know this topic is like a week cold, but felt I had to add to it.

I attended this event, and I am suprised at how many people are complaining , and they were not even there, comaplining about bro's n sisters sittting togeather, did it not occur to you that they were most likely family ?

I found NO PROBLEM what so ever with the seating, there was PLENTY of choice and in no way were you forced to sit next to a member of the opposite sex, this is plainly not true and I testify to that.

Also this clapping after the athaan, well it is alleged after Isha athaan there was clapping, I was sat in the middle of the hall, just past the middle forward to the front and I head not ONE clap, infact I distinctly remember thinking, wow he called the Athaan so well and then he just walked off , and no acknowledgement for his perfect call tp prayer from the people.

Yes it was squashy in the halls, particualry the exhibition hall, the prayer hall was segregated, women were praying BEHIND the men, and there was a 3ft barrier in the middle, now aslong as women are behind the men, to my knowledge this is acceptable.

fantastic speechs by yvonne ridley, george gallowway, Zakir Naik, someone asked what the benefit from all this was, the benefit was 25.000 muslims coming togeather, to stand togeather UNITED. even if it was just for a day.

it was wonderfull to see muslims togeather like that, it gave a glimpse of what life could be like if we all united.

the executive Of Islam channel came on the stage and he apoligised for anything that was not right and explained it was the first time they did such a big event like this, and said how sorry he was if things were not right.
it was an experience for them aswell.

credit where credit is due, well done Islam channel.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.