/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arabic expressions for the new Muslim!

Uma Rayanah
02-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Asalaamu Alikum....

Every muslim should remember these essential expressions.

Note: Spellings may vary when translated to English
These expressions are mostly singular. For example to say Allah baraka fiki to more than one person you would say Allah baraka fikum and to say Jazak Allah khieran for more than one person would be Jazakahu Allah khieran and so on. It is fine to speak in the masculine tense when speaking to women formaly.

Say When

As salamu aleiykum
when you meet a muslim
Translation: Peace be upon you

Waleiykum assalam
a muslim greets you
Translation:And peace be upon you

As salamu aleiykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh
formal and great greeting to a muslim
Translation:Peace and mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you

Waleiykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh
a muslim greets you
Translation:And peace and mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you

Hiyyak Allah
When greating someone after Salams
Translation:May Allah greet you

Bismillah arRahman arRahim
before making a beginning
Translation:In the name of Allah most Gracious most Merciful

Jazak Allah Khieran
for expression of thanks
Translation:May Allah reward you with blessings

BarakAllahu feekum or Allah baraka fiki responding to someone’s thanks
Translation:May Allah bless you

Fi Amanullah
by way of saying good-bye
Translation:May Allah protect you

Subhaanallah
for praising something
Translation:Glory be to Allah

Insha Allah
for expressing a desire to do something
Translation: If Allah wills

Astaghfirullah
repenting for sins before Allah
I beg Allah for forgiveness

Masha Allah
for expressing appreciation of something good
As Allah has willed

Alhamdulillah
for showing gratitude to Allah after success or even after completing anything
Praise be to Allah

Aameen
the end of a Dua or prayer
Translation:May it be so

Sal allahu aleihi wasallam
whenever say the name of Prophet Muhammad
Translation:Peace be upon him (S.A.W.)

Alaihi salaam
whenever say the name of a prophet
Translation:Peace be upon him (A.S.)

Radi Allah Anhu
whenever say name of male companion of the Prophet (Sahabi)
Translation:May Allah be pleased with him (R.A.)

Radi Allah Anha
whenever say name of female companion of the Prophet
Translation:May Allah be pleased with her (R.A.)

Radi Allah Anhum
Plural form of saying companions of the Prophet
May Allah be pleased with them (R.A.)

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji'oon
this is uttered as an expression upon hearing the news of some loss or some one's death
Translation:To Allah we belong and to Him is our return

aathama allaho ajrakom
uttered to family of deseased
Translation: may allah make your ajer "reward" great

Shukr Allaho sayikum
uttered to people who attend aaza - when friends go to send condolenses upon death of a person
Translation: May Allah accept that your effort

La hawla wala quwata illah billah
during the time of troubles
Translation:There is no strength nor power except Allah

to be Con'd.... inshallah...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
02-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Good job!
:rock:

Masha'Allah.

Uma Rayanah
02-08-2005, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
Wow that was nice !!!!:thumbs_up
u r really doing a gr8 job sis !:applaud:
why don't u chng ur id from "1 of ur sis in islam" to "1 of ur teacher of arabic" !;) :p

:shade: :shade: :shade:

lolll indeeed.. 1 of ur teacher of arabic.. insterstin nick,,,

well i'm just doin my best... it took me long 2 do it... part 2 is comin soon,.,. :thumbs_up Hold ur hoursez...

Uthman
02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Firstly, you spelt HORSES wrong. :)

Secondly that was great! Can't wait for part 2 inshallah! :beard: :thumbs_up ;)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uma Rayanah
02-09-2005, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Firstly, you spelt HORSES wrong. :)

Secondly that was great! Can't wait for part 2 inshallah! :beard: :thumbs_up ;)

lol lil bro i can't spell u see... how do u spell it again...

Yaa part 2 is comin soon....( did i spell everything right did time,,,,) holaa

Uthman
02-09-2005, 09:37 PM
How do you know I'm a lil bro? :brother:

Yes, you spelt everything right this time. I'll let you off for 'lil' . :zip:

Uma Rayanah
02-09-2005, 09:51 PM
How do you know I'm a lil bro? :brother:

Yes, you spelt everything right this time. I'll let you off for 'lil' . :zip:

well u r my lil bro in islam right!!!! but mashallah u hv a lot knowledg in islam.. r u sure u 13/14..lol,,,anyhow... i stop sayin lil if u want....

.::aBDI::.
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Well done... it is so practical... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Fi Amanullah

hmmm?? I thought that one was one of the mamnoo3at?? wala 3alaya bas? dayiib yisiir khair lol

Uthman
02-10-2005, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 1_Of_Ur_Siss_In_Islam
well u r my lil bro in islam right!!!! but mashallah u hv a lot knowledg in islam.. r u sure u 13/14..lol,,,anyhow... i stop sayin lil if u want....
No, you can call me lil :)

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS:

EVERYBODY CAN CALL ME LIL BRO :)

Well as far as I'm aware I'm 13 years old. At least I look like a 13 year old and my parents told me I'm 13. Wait a minute . . . you don't think :omg: Oh, and I don't really have much knowledge of Islam. I'm just here to learn ;)

Ansar Al-'Adl
02-10-2005, 08:50 PM
:sl:
*eagerly waiting for part 2*

Thanks 1-of-my-sis-in-islam!

hey lil bro! Are you learning stuff?

Uthman
02-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Alas, when one has an Ansar present on the forum then he simply cannot learn.

Actually, yeah I am! Thanks to all you lot! ;)

Ansar Al-'Adl
02-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Alas, when one has an Ansar present on the forum then he simply cannot learn.
Sorry I'm interfering with your disability to learn :omg:

Uthman
02-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Of course not! Twas' my lame attempt at humour :-[:-[:-[

Uma Rayanah
02-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Welll.. here is Part 2...

Tawakkal-tu-Allah rely on Allah solving a problem

Tawkkalna-Alai-Allah - we have put our trust in Allah - waiting for a problem to be solved

Rahmah Allah - Allah have Mercy on him - you see someone in distress

Na'uzhu-bi-Allah - we seek refuge in Allah - showing your dislike

Fe Sabeel Allah - in/for Allah's cause/way - you give charity/help people

Atqaa Allah fear Allah you see someone doing a bad deed

Hayyak Allah - Allah maintain your life - you greet someone

Hasbi Allah - Allah will suffice me - you are in a difficult situation

Azhak Allah sinnaka - May Allah keep you cheerful - you seek another Muslim with cheerful countenance

2 be con'd

Khaldun
02-11-2005, 09:51 PM

is it just me or do u guys also find this transliteration bussniss annoying ....specielly with the "Z" it really doesnt give justice to the real arabic letter.

Uthman
02-11-2005, 09:55 PM

I know what you mean brother Khaldun. Its pronounced differently. z is really th I think. There are a whole load of letters like that, aren't there? I guess those who can't read arabic will have to learn it to understand it's uniqueness. Arabic is a very unique language, no? Just a few letters can sum up what it would take pages and pages to explain in English. :)

Anyhoo, back to the topic. Good job again 1_of_ur_siss_in_islam! Great stuff and very helpful! :thumbs_up

Uma Rayanah
02-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Salam alaikum,
Firstly to say Salam alaikum to another Muslim is the correct way to great a Muslim. In answer, we should either greet with an equal greating such as wa alaikum salam or with a better (sweeter) greeting, such as wa alaikum ma salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu. “When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally”

[al-Nisa’ 4:86]

How to say and return Salams

Question :

CAN YOU TELL ME A DETAIL INFORMATION ON THE IMPORTANCE OF SAYING SALAAM AND SAYING WAALAIKUM-AS-SALAAM

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

All people have the custom of greeting one another, and every group has its own distinctive greeting that distinguishes them from other people.

The Arabs used to greet one another with the words “An’im sabaahan” or “An’imu sabaahan” [equivalent to “Good morning” – Translator], using words derived from “al-ni’mah”, which means good living after the morning. The idea was that because the morning is the first part of the day, if a person encounters something good in the morning, the rest of the day will be good too.

When Islam came, Allaah prescribed that the manner of greeting among Muslims should be “Al-salaamu alaykum,” and that this greeting should only be used among Muslims and not for other nations. The meaning of salaam (literally, peace) is harmlessness, safety and protection from evil and from faults. The name al-Salaam is a Name of Allaah, may He be exalted, so the meaning of the greeting of salaam which is required among Muslims is, “May the blessing of His Name descend upon you.” The usage of the preposition ‘ala in ‘alaykum (upon you) indicates that the greeting is inclusive.

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Badaa’i' al-Fawaa’id (144):

“Allaah, the Sovereign, the Most Holy, the Peace, prescribed that the greeting among the people of Islam should be ‘al-salaamu ‘alaykum’, which is better than all the greetings of other nations which include impossible ideas or lies, such as saying, ‘May you live for a thousand years,’ or things that are not accurate, such as ‘An’im sabaahan (Good morning),’ or actions that are not right, such as prostrating in greeting. Thus the greeting of salaam is better than all of these, because it has the meaning of safety which is life, without which nothing else can be achieved. So this takes precedence over all other aims or objectives. A person has two main aims in life: to keep himself safe from evil, and to get something good. Keeping safe from evil takes precedence over getting something good…”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made spreading salaam a part of faith. Al-Bukhaari (12, 28 and 6236), Muslim (39), Ahmad (2/169), Abu Dawood (5494), al-Nisaa’i, (8/107) and Ibn Hibbaan (505) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know.”

Ibn Hajar said in al-Fath (1/56):

“i.e., do not single out anybody out of arrogance or to impress them, but do it to honour the symbols of Islam and to foster Islamic brotherhood.”

Ibn Rajab said in al-Fath (1/43):

“The hadeeth makes the connection between feeding others and spreading salaam because this combines good actions in both word and deed, which is perfect good treatment (ihsaan). Indeed, this is the best thing that you can do in Islam after the obligatory duties.”

Al-Sanoosi said in Ikmaal al-Mu’allim (1/244):

“What is meant by salaam is the greeting between people, which sows seeds of love and friendship in their hearts, as does giving food. There may be some weakness in the heart of one of them, which is dispelled when he is greeted, or there may be some hostility, which is turned to friendship by the greeting.”

Al-Qaadi said in Ikmaal al-Mu’allim (1:276):

“Here the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was urging the believers to soften their hearts. The best Islamic attitude is to love one another and greet one another, and this is achieved by words and deeds. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urged the Muslims to foster love between one another by exchanging gifts and food, and by spreading salaam, and he forbade the opposite, namely forsaking one another, turning away from one another, spying on one another, seeking out information about one another, stirring up trouble and being two faced.

Love is one of the duties of Islam and one of the pillars of the Islamic system. One should give salaams to those whom one knows and those whom one does not know, out of sincerity towards Allaah; one should not try to impress other people by giving salaams only to those whom one knows and no-one else. This also entails an attitude of humility and spreading the symbols of this ummah through the word of salaam.”

Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained that this salaam spreads love and brotherhood. Muslim (54), Ahmad (2/391), and al-Tirmidhi (2513) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“You will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you about something which, if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salaam amongst yourselves.”

Al-Qaadi ‘Ayaad said in al-Ikmaal (1/304):

“This is urging us to spread salaam, as mentioned above, among those whom we know and those whom we do not know. Salaam is the first level of righteousness and the first quality of brotherhood, and it is the key to creating love. By spreading salaam the Muslims’ love for one another grows stronger and they demonstrate their distinctive symbols and spread a feeling of security amongst themselves. This is the meaning of Islam.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also explained the reward earned by the one who says salaam, as was reported by al-Nisaa’i in ‘Aml al-yawm wa’l-laylah (368) and al-Bukhaari in al-Adab al-Mufrad (586) and by Ibn Hibban (493). They reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that a man passed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was sitting with some others, and said “Salaam ‘alaykum (peace be upon you).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] ten hasanaat (rewards).” Another man passed by and said “Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] twenty hasanaat.” Another man passed by and said “Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] thirty hasanaat.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to return salaams, and made it a right and a duty. Ahmad (2/540), al-Bukhaari (1240), Muslim (2792), al-Nisaa’i in al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah (221) and Abu Dawood (5031) all reported that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim has five rights over his fellow-Muslim: he should return his salaams, visit him when he is sick, attend his funeral, accept his invitation, and pray for mercy for him [say “Yarhamuk Allaah”] when he sneezes.”

It is clear that it is obligatory to say salaam and return salaams, because by doing so a Muslim is giving you safety and you have to give him safety in return. It is as if he is saying to you, “I am giving you safety and security,” so you have to give him the same, so that he does not get suspicious or think that the one to whom he has given salaam is betraying him or ignoring him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that if Muslims are ignoring or forsaking one another, this will be put to an end when one of them gives salaam. Al-Bukhaari (6233) reported that Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘It is not permissible for a Muslim to forsake his brother for more than three days, each of them turning away from the other if they meet. The better of them is the first one to say salaam.’”

This is a brief overview of the importance of giving and returning salaam.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

To great a non-muslim in answer to him:
Question :

Is it permissible for a Muslim to great a non-Muslim first?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on greeting non-Muslims. He replied as follows:

Greeting a non-Muslim first is haraam and is not permitted, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting with the Jews and Christians, and if you meet them in the street push them towards the narrowest part of it.” But if they greet us we have to respond to them, because of the general meaning of the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally”

[al-Nisa’ 4:86]

The Jews used to greet the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by saying, “Al-saam ‘alaykum ya Muhammad (Death be upon you, O Muhammad),” praying that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would die. So the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum (death be upon you),’ so if they greet you, then say, ‘Wa ‘alaykum (and also upon you).’”

If a non-Muslim greets a Muslim by saying “al-saamu ‘alaykum,” then we should respond by saying “wa ‘alaykum (and also upon you).” The fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said “wa ‘alaykum” indicates that if they were saying “al-salaamu ‘alaykum (peace be upon you),” then peace will also be upon them, i.e., whatever they say to us, we say to them. Hence some of the scholars said that if a Jew, Christian or other non-Muslim clearly says “al-salaamu ‘alaykum,” it is permissible for us to say “ ‘alaykum al-salaam (upon you be peace).”

Similarly it is not permissible to initiate a greeting such as Ahlan wa sahlan (welcome) and the like, because that is a kind of honouring them. But if they say something like that to us, then we should say something similar to them, because the greeting should be returned in like manner and each person should be given his due. It is well known that the Muslims are higher in status before Allaah, so they should not humiliate themselves in front of non-Muslims by greeting them first.

So, in conclusion, it is not permissible for us to greet non-Muslims first, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade that, and because this is a humiliation for the Muslim when he starts to honour a non-Muslim. The Muslim is higher in status before Allaah, so he should not humiliate himself in this manner. But if we are greeted then we should return the greeting in similar terms.

Similarly it is not permissible for us to greet them first with words such as Ahlan wa sahlan (welcome), Marhaban (hello) and so on, because that is a kind of honouring them, so it is like initiating the greeting of salaams with them. Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 3/33.

If there is a need to greet a kaafir first, there is no sin in that, but it should be something other than the greeting of salaam, such as saying Ahlan wa sahlan or How are you, etc. In that case the greeting is for a reason, not to honour him.

See al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 25/168.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Zaad al-Ma’aad (2/424), concerning greeting a kaafir first:

A group of scholars said: It is permissible to greet him first if that serves a purpose, or for fear of his harm, or because of blood ties, or for a reason that requires that.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Question :

WHEN A NON-MUSLIM SAYS SALAAM U ALAIKUM(GREETS YOU) HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO RESPOND?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Muslim reported in his Saheeh (14/144) from Anas ibn Maalik that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the People of the Book say salaam to you (greet you by saying al-salaamu alaykum), say ‘Wa ‘alaykum’ (and unto you).’” According to another report, he was asked, “The People of the Book say salaam to us. How should we respond?” He said, “Say, ‘Wa ‘alaykum.’” According to another report (14/164), he said, “When the Jews greet you, they say ‘al-saam ‘alaykum (death be upon you). So say ‘ ‘alayk (upon you).’” According to another report he said, “So say, ‘wa ‘alayk’ (and upon you).” According to another report (14/146) a group of Jews asked for permission to enter upon the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and they said, “Al-saam ‘alaykum (death be upon you).” ‘Aa’ishah said, “Bal ‘alaykum al-saam wa’l-la’nah (No, death be upon you and curses)!” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “O ‘Aa’ishah, Allaah loves gentleness in all things.” She said, “Did you not hear what they said?” He said, “I answered, ‘Wa ‘alaykum (and unto you).’” According to another report, he said, “I answered, ‘ ‘alaykum’” – without the “waw” (i.e., wa meaning “and”). According to the last hadeeth (14/148), he said, “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and if you meet one of them on the road, push him to the narrowest part of it.”

All of these reports were narrated in the Saheeh of Imaam Muslim.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary (14/144-145):

The scholars agree that the greeting of the People of the Book should be returned, if they greet us with salaam, but we should not say to them, “Wa ‘alaykum al-salaam (and upon you be peace).” We should say only “ ‘alaykum (upon you)” or “wa ‘alaykum (and upon you).” Ahaadeeth have been narrated by Muslim both with and without the “wa” (“And”), but most of them include it. On this basis, there are two meanings, one of which is the apparent meaning: if they say “ ‘Alaykum al-mawt (death be upon you)”, then one should say, “Wa ‘alaykum (and also on you)” – meaning that we and you are alike, we are all going to die. The second meaning is that this is a waw that is used to start a new idea or phrase, not to connect it to the previous sentence or to reiterate the same idea. This implies: and upon you be what you deserve of condemnation. The phrase without the wa implies: but rather death should be upon you. Al-Qaadi said: some of the scholars, including Ibn Habeeb al-Maaliki, preferred to use the phrase without the wa, so that it would not have the implication that these people are like the Muslims. Others said that it should be used with the wa as it appears in the majority of reports. Some of them said: he should reply “ ‘alaykum al-silaam (and upon you be stones) – but this is da’eef (weak). Al-Khattaabi said: most of the muhadditheen (scholars of hadeeth) reported it with the wa (wa ‘alaykum), but Ibn ‘Uyaynah reported it without the waw. Al-Khattaabi said: this is what is correct, because if the phrase is used without the waw, this means that what they are saying is returned specifically and exclusively to them, but if the waw is used, it implies commonality with them in what they are saying. This is the view of al-Khattaabi. But the correct view is that it is permissible either to use the waw or omit it, as both have been mentioned in saheeh reports, but including the waw is better, as it appears in most of the reports. There is nothing wrong with that, because al-saam means death, which will come to us and to them, so there is no harm in including the waw. The scholars differed as to returning the greeting of salaam when a kaafir initiates it or initiating the greeting. Our opinion is that it is haraam to initiate the greeting, but we have to return their greeting by saying “Wa ‘alaykum” or just “ ‘alaykum.” Our evidence with regard to initiating the greeting is the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Do not initiate the greeting with the Jews and Christians” and his command to reply by saying, “Wa ‘alaykum.” What we have mentioned as our madhhab or point of view is also the opinion of most of the scholars and the majority of the salaf… It is permissible to initiate the greeting when addressed to a group composed of both Muslims and kaafirs, or one Muslim and a number of kaafirs, but he should intend the greeting to be directed towards the Muslim(s) among them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) greeted an assembly that included a mixture of Muslims and mushrikeen.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com

Meaning of: Subhanahu wa ta'ala

This is an expression that Muslims use whenever the name of Allah is pronounced or written. The meaning of this expression is: "Allah is pure of having partners and He is exalted from having a son."

Muslims believe that Allah is the only God, the Creator of the Universe. He does not have partners or children. Sometimes Muslims use other expressions when the name of Allah is written or pronounced. Some of which are: "'Azza Wa Jall": He is the Mighty and the Majestic; "Jalla Jalaluh": He is the exalted Majestic.

From our own Islamway:http://english.islamway.com/bindex.p...article&id=237

To Befriend or Not to Befriend? THAT is the Question!

The Prophet peace be upon him said: “A person is on the path of his intimate friend, so let each of you look carefully at whom he takes as an intimate friend.”

What is the real meaning of a friend? I’m sure if we ask ourselves this question, not many of us will be able to answer it the correct way. Most people view friends as people who keep your secrets, someone to talk to on the phone, someone you trust, someone whom you can have fun and hang out with. But this kind of friendship is not even close to the kind of friendship mentioned in the Quran.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says: “And the believing men and the believing women are protecting friends to one another. THEY COMMAND WHAT IS RIGHT AND FORBID WHAT IS WRONG AND THEY ESTABLISH THE SALAH AND PRODUCE THE ZAKAH AND THEY OBEY ALLAH AND HIS MESSENGER.” (9:71)

Now what more of a friend do you want than that? Subhan'Allah. The kind of friendship we had in mind is nothing like the friendship Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala wants. “...They command what is right and forbid what is wrong..” Who from our friends do we find doing this? Any? If not few… The kind of friendship I see people having is actually quite the opposite. I see people laugh at the wrong, and ignore what is right.

Rarely if not never, have I seen a friend tell another friend. “Sister/Brother fear Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala for what you are doing is haram.” Just how much do our friends affect us? Here is a hadith to find out…

The Prophet peace be upon him said: “The example of a good friend and a bad friend is like the seller of Musk (perfume) and the blacksmith. If you go to the seller of perfume, you will either leave (happy) buying perfume, or you will leave will the smell of the musk. And If you stand by the blacksmith you will burn your clothes, or you will leave with the *smell of* the stink of his work.”

So when you are with the good friend you will learn from him, or some of his goodness will rub off on you. *leaving you relaxed* While when you are with the bad friend, you will be like him, or you will leave with some of his bad habits. Sadly, we are missing out on the true friendship. But that’s not even the worst part; the worse thing is that most Muslims would rather have the company of non Muslims instead of their brother/sister in Islam. Nevertheless Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala’s advice that we should prefer people of like mind to ourselves over non believers is crystal clear:

“Let not the believers take the unbelievers as Auliya (supporters, friends, helpers) instead of the believers, and whoever does that will never be helped by Allah in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from them.” (3:2

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala guide us all.

So as for the believing men and woman who command each other with good, and forbid the bad, they will have a great reward in the hereafter, and they will be thanking each other in Jannah, insha'Allah. But as for the men and woman, whose friendship is only based on worldly matters, those so-called friends who laugh and encourage each other when they do wrong, and take faith as a joke, for them is a painful torment.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala warns the Muslims against such friendships… "On the day when the wrongdoer will bite upon his hands (from regret), he will say, ‘O would that I had taken a path with the Messenger, O Woe to me! Would that I had never taken so-and-so as an intimate friend; he certainly lead me astray from the remembrance after it had come to me and Shaytan (Satan) is to man ever a deserter in the hour of need" (25:27-30)

Subhan Allah, they will be the best of friends in this world, but in the hereafter they will be the worst of enemies to each other. In the hellfire, one will call to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and say "Oh Allah, this person (the friend from the world) took me by my hand to the haram, Ya Allah… Ya Allah… Double his punishment! And curse him with a mighty curse! Subhan Allah!! How painful the hellfire, and yet that person is still wishing it to be worse for his friend (from the world). But then Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala will double BOTH their punishments…

Subhan Allah, see these ‘friends’ they weren’t really friends in the world, and as you can see they won’t be friends in the hereafter. Now it is your turn to decide, you can either command your friends with the good, and forbid the evil, which may not be very easy, but your friend will thank you for it in Jannah, or would you rather be from those who bite their hands from regret….Be careful when choosing your friends…

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala make us from those who hear the advice and put it into action!

Uma Rayanah
02-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Salam alaikum,

here are some more good ones, mashallah! Some are repeated.

A

AL-HAMDU LILLAHI RABBIL 'ALAMIN

This is a verse from the Qur'an that Muslims recite and say many times per day. Other than being recited daily during prayers, a Muslim reads this expression in every activity of his daily life. The meaning of it is: "Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds."

A Muslim invokes the praises of Allah before he does his daily work; and when he finishes, he thanks Allah for His favors. A Muslim is grateful to Allah for all His blessings. It is a statement of thanks, appreciation, and gratitude from the creature to his Creator.

ALLAHU AKBAR

This statement is said by Muslims numerous times. During the call for prayer, during prayer, when they are happy, and wish to express their approval of what they hear, when they slaughter an animal, and when they want to praise a speaker, Muslims do say this expression of Allahu Akbar. Actually it is most said expression in the world. Its meaning: "Allah is the Greatest." Muslims praise Allah in every aspect of life; and as such they say Allahu Akbar.

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

This is an expression Muslims say whenever they meet one another. It is a statement of greeting with peace. The meaning of it is: "Peace be upon you."

Muslims try to establish peace on earth even through the friendly relation of greeting and meeting one another.

The other forms are: "Assalamu 'Alalikum Wa Rahmatullah," which means:"May the peace and the Mercy of Allah be upon you," and "Assalamu Alalikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh," which means :"May the peace, the mercy, and the blessings of Allah be upon you."

ASTAGHFIRULLAH

This is an expression used by a Muslim when he wants to ask Allah forgiveness. The meaning of it is: "I ask Allah forgiveness." A Muslim says this phrase many times, even when he is talking to another person. When a Muslim abstains from doing wrong, or even when he wants to prove that he is innocent of an incident he uses this expression. After every Salah (payer), a Muslim says this statement three times.

A'UZU BILLAHI MINASHAITANIR RAJIM

This is an expression and a statement that Muslims have to recite before reading to Qur'an, before speaking, before doing any work, before making a supplication, before taking ablution, before entering the wash room, and before doing many other daily activities. The meaning of this phrase is: "I seek refuge from Allah from the outcast Satan." Allah is the Arabic name of God.

Satan is the source of evil and he always tries to misguide and mislead people. The Qur'an states that Satan is not an angel but a member of the Jinn, which are spiritual beings created by Allah. So the belief that Satan is a fallen angel is rejected in Islam.

to be co'ud...

Umm Yoosuf
02-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Stop ur chit chat.....hehehe

Masha Allah sister good job!

By the way one advice the colour is sooooooo dull, make it look stand out, add a bit more of colur!

well_said
02-28-2005, 01:57 AM
MashAllah MashAllah.........inshallah this should be careful.

GOOD ONE!

Uma Rayanah
03-06-2005, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ProudMuslimah
Masha Allah sister good job!

By the way one advice the colour is sooooooo dull, make it look stand out, add a bit more of colur!

i wish sis... i wish.. but i can't use them @ home 4 some reasonz.. i wander why!!!... do u know how..

Uma Rayanah
09-25-2005, 05:19 PM

B

BARAKALLAH
This is an expression which means: "May the blessings of Allah (be upon you)." When a Muslim wants to thank to another person, he uses different statements to express his thanks, appreciation, and gratitude. One of them is to say "Baraka Allah."

BISMILLAHIR RAHMANIR RAHIM

This is a phrase from the Qur'an that is recited before reading the Qur'an. It is to be read immediately after one reads the phrase: "A'uzu Billahi Minashaitanir Rajim."

This phrase is also recited before doing any daily activity. The meaning of it is: "In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful."

I

IN SHA' ALLAH

When a person wishes to plan for the future, when he promises, when he makes resolutions, and when he makes a pledge, he makes them with permission and the will of Allah. For this reason, a Muslim uses the Qur'anic instructions by saying "In Sha ' Allah." The meaning of this statement is: "If Allah wills." Muslims are to strive hard and to put their trusts with Allah. They leave the results in the hands of Allah.

INNA LILLAHI WA INNA ILAHI RAJI'UN

When a Muslim is struck with a calamity, when he loses one of his loved ones, or when he has gone bankrupt, he should be patient and say this statement, the meaning of which is : "We are from Allah and to hom we are returning."

Muslims believe that Allah is the One who gives and it is He takes away. He is testing us. Hence, a Muslim submits himself to Allah. He is grateful and thankful to Allah for whatever he gets. On the other hand, he is patient and says this expression in times of turmoil and calamity.

J

JAZAKALLAHU KHAYRAN

This is a statement of thanks and appreciation to be said to the person who does a favor. Instead of saying "thanks" (Shukran), the Islamic statement of thanks is to say this phrase. Its meaning is: " May Allah reward you for the good."

It is understood that human beings can't repay one another enough. Hence, it is better to request Almighty Allah to reward the person who did a favor and to give him the best.

K

KALAM

Talk or speech as in "kalamu Allah"; has also been used through the ages to mean logic or philosophy.

L

LA HAWLA WA LA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH

The meaning of this expression is: " There is no power and no strength save in Allah." This expression is read by a Muslim when he is struck by a calamity, or is taken over by a situation beyond his control. A Muslim puts his trust in the hands of Allah, and submits himself to Allah.

LA ILAHA ILLALLAH

This expression is the most important one in Islam. It is the creed that every person has to say to be considered a Muslim. It is part of the first pillar of Islam. The meaning of which is: " There is no lord worthy of worship except Allah."

The second part of this first pillar is to say: "Muhammadun Rasul Allah," which means:"Muhammad is the messenger of Allah."

Uma Rayanah
09-28-2005, 05:05 PM

M

MA SHA' ALLAH
This is an expression that Muslims say whenever they are excited and surprised. When they wish to express their happiness, they use such an expression. The meaning of "Ma sha' Allah" is: "Whatever Allah wants." or "Whatever Allah wants to give, He gives." This means that whenever Allah gives something good to someone, blesses him, honors him, and opens the door of success in business, a Muslim says this statement of "Ma Sha' Allah."

It has become a tradition that whenever a person constructs a building, a house, or an office, he puts a plaque on the wall or the entrance with this statement. It is a sign of thanks and appreciation from the person to Almighty Allah for whatever he was blessed with.

MUHAMMADUN RASULULLAH
This statement is the second part of the first pillar of Islam. The meaning of this part is that Prophet Muhammad is the last and final prophet and messenger of Allah to mankind. He is the culmination, summation, purification of the previous prophets of Allah to humanity.

P

P.B.U.H.
These letters are abbreviations for the words Peace Be Upon Him which are the meaning of the Arabic expression " 'Alaihis Salam", which is an expression that is said when the name of a prophet is mentioned.

This expression is widely used by English speaking Muslims. It is to be noticed here that this expression does not give the full meaning of "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam". Therefore it is recommended that people do not use (p.b.u.h.) after the name of prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.); they should use "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam" instead, or they may use the abbreviated form of (s.a..w) in writing.

R

RADHIALLAHU 'ANHU
This is an expression to be used by Muslims whenever a name of a companion of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) is mentioned or used in writing. The meaning of this statement is: "May Allah be pleased with him."

Muslims are taught to be respectful to the elderly and to those who contributed to the spread and success in Islam. They are to be grateful to the companions of the prophet (s.a.w.) for their sacrifices, their leadership, and their contributions. Muslims are advised to use this phrase when such names are mentioned or written.

S

SADAQALLAHUL 'AZIM
This is a statement of truth that a Muslim says after reading any amount of verses from the Qur'an. The meaning of it is: "Allah says the truth."

The Qur'an is the exact words of Allah in verbatim. When Allah speaks, He says the truth; and when the Qur'an is being recited, a Muslim is reciting the words of truth of Allah. Hence, he says: "Sadaqallahul 'Azim."

SALLALLAHU 'ALAIHI WA SALLAM
When the name of Prophet Muhammad (saw) is mentioned or written, a Muslim is to respect him and invoke this statement of peace upon him. The meaning of it is: "May the blessings and the peace of Allah be upon him (Muhammad).

Another expression that is alternatively used is: "Alaihissalatu Wassalam." This expression means: "On Him (Muhammad) are the blessings and the peace of Allah."

Allah has ordered Muslims, in the Qur'an, to say such an expression. Muslims are informed that if they proclaim such a statement once, Allah will reward them ten times.

S.A.W. These letters are abbreviations for the words "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam".

SUBHANAHU WA TA'ALA
This is an expression that Muslims use whenever the name of Allah is pronounced or written. The meaning of this expression is: "Allah is pure of having partners and He is exalted from having a son."

Muslims believe that Allah is the only God, the Creator of the Universe. He does not have partners or children. Sometimes Muslims use other expressions when the name of Allah is written or pronounced. Some of which are: "'Azza Wa Jall": He is the Mighty and the Majestic; "Jalla Jalaluh": He is the exalted Majestic.

S.W.T. These letters are abbreviations for the words of "Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala".

W

WA 'ALAIKUMUS SALAM
This is an expression that a Muslim is to say as an answer for the greeting. When a person greets another with a salutation of peace, the answer for the greeting is an answer of peace. The meaning of this statement is: "And upon you is the peace." The other expressions are: " Wa Alaikums Salam Wa Rahmatullah." and "Wa 'Alaikums Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh."

:w:

Uma Rayanah
10-03-2005, 08:45 PM

Here is some more lessons to learn...Hope it will help u all to increase ur knowledge ....

•••

Aakhirah the Hereafter.

'Aalim (pl. 'Ulamaa.) learned religious scholar.

Aameen literally means "O Allaah! accept my/our invocation(s)".

Aashooraa the 10th day of Muharram (the first month of the Islaamic calendar).

Aayah (pl. Aayaat) a section of the Qur.aanic text often referred to as a verse. It is also the smallest unit of revelation.

'Abd a male slave/servant.

Abkam (pl. Bukmun, Bukmaan) dumb

'Adaalah justice, uprightness of character.

Adhaan the call to prayer pronounced loudly to indicate that the time of prayer has entered.

'Adl justice, upright and just.

Ahad solitary Hadeeth, report by a single person or by odd individuals.

Ahlul-Kitaab (People of the Book) term used collectively to refer to the Jews and Christians, to whom the Towraat (Tawrah) and the Injeel (Gospel) were revealed respectively.

Ajnabee (fem. Ajnabiyyah) stranger, foreigner, alien, unrelated, third party.

Al-Kabaa.ir the major sins.

Allaah the Creator of the Universe. Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) is singular and is not human nor part of a Trinity, as in Christianity.

Allaahu Akbar literally means "Allaah is the Greatest".

Allaahul-Musta'aan literally means "Allaah's assistance is sought"

Al-Hamdu-Lillaah literally means "All Praise be to Allaah".

Al-Masjid Al-Aqsaa the masjid in Al-Quds (Jerusalem), which is the third holiest masjid in Islaam.

Al-Masjid Al-Haraam the grand masjid in Makkah, which is the holiest masjid in Islaam.

Al-Masjid An-Nabawee the Prophet's masjid in Madeenah, which is the second holiest masjid in Islaam.

Amah a female slave/servant.

'Amal act, practice, precedent.

Amr (pl. Awaamir, Umoor) command, matter, affair.

'Aqeedah creed, belief, way of thinking.

Aqeeqah the sacrificing of two sheep for a boy or one sheep for a girl on the occasion of their birth, as a token of gratitude to Allaah for His favours.

'Aql intellect, rationality, reason.

'Arafah (pl. 'Arafaat) the open plains south-east of Makkah where the pilgrims gather on the 9th day of Dhul-Hijjah as per the rites of the Hajj.

Asl (pl. Usool) root, origin, source.

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum literally means "peace be upon you". It is the expression used by Muslims to greet each other.

Astaghfi-rullaah literally means "I seek forgiveness from Allaah".

A'oothu Billaahe min-ash-Shaytaanir-Rajeem literally means "I beseech Allaah in seeking refuge from Shaytaan the outcast".

'Asr, Salaat al- late afternoon prayer. The third of the obligatory five daily prayers.

Athar (pl. Aathaar) deeds and precedents of the Companions of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam).

'Awrah reference to the portions of a person's body that are to be covered properly. Under different circumstances, a person's 'awrah will be different. For example, for women, their 'awrah in the prayer when no men are around is different from their 'awrah when they go out in public which is yet different from their 'awrah when they perform the Hajj or the 'Umrah.

Salema
10-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Jazakallahu Khayran

Mahmud
10-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Jazakallah Khair

Sadia25
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Mashallah sister you do a good job..!!

Uma Rayanah
10-11-2005, 12:16 PM

:sl: Bâtil Falsehood 34:49
Bid'a Innovation in ibaddah [worship], to be avoided! See article: Bid'a
The Prophet, saaws, said: "If anyone introduces an innovation in the religion, he will be responsible for it. (Good or bad). If anyone introduces an innovation or gives shelter to a man who introduces an innovation (in the religion) he is cursed by Allaah, by His angels and by all the people." [Dawud]
The Prophet, saaws, said: "Whoever does an action which we (Allah and His Messenger) have not commanded it will be rejected." [Muslim - Sahih]
Is of two types:
Bid’a mukaffarah - That which amounts to kufr and takes a person out of Islaam.
Bid’a mufassaqah - That which makes a person a faasiq but not a kaafir.

Bismillah "In The Name of Allah", to be said by the Muslim before proceeding to do that which is halal (permissible).

Da'wah Literally means "call", and in this sense it refers to calling to the Truth through preaching and propagation. 2:136, 16:125, 12:108
Dawat-us-salafiyyah
(also "Dawah Salafi", or "salafi dawah" although this is an english transposition of the two words- [say DOW-uh(t) uh sal-uh-FEE-uh])
Literally means call of the past, those who preceded us. This is the spreading of Islam in accordance with Qur'an and Sunnah, recognizing the understanding of the pious Salaf in this matter as being superior (more accurate) than modern ideas and inventions, with an intention to avoid innovation in ibaddah (an all encompassing word for worship, i.e. halal [permissible] acts of submission to Allah swt). See article: Dawat- us-salafiy- yah.
Deen The Way of Life for a Muslim, i.e. religion 3:19, 5:3
Dhu-Mahram A male whom a woman can never marry because of close relationship (i.e. brother, father, uncle, etc.) or her own husband
Du'a Supplication and Invocation to Allah, subhana watala
Dunya This world or life, as opposed to the Hereafter

Fajarah Wicked evil doers 80:42
Fajr The obligatory (faard) salah (prayer) before sunrise
Fara'id (Faard) Obligatory duties 3:7
Fâsiqûn Rebellious, the disobedient to Allah swt
Fiqh The meaning of the word fiqh is understanding, comprehension, knowledge, and jurisprudence in Islam. A jurist is called a Faqih who is an expert in matters of Islamic legal matters.
A Faqih is to pass verdicts within the rules of the Islamic Law namely Shariah.

The most famous scholars of Fiqh in the history Muslims are the founders of the four schools of thought in Islam: Imam Malik, Imam Ash-Shafi'i, Imam Abu Hanifah, and Imam Ahmad.

Anything or action in Islam falls within the following five categories of Fiqh:

Fardh (Must): This category is a must for the Muslim to do such as the five daily prayers. Doing the Fardh counts as a good deed, and not doing it is considered a bad deed or a sin.
It is also called Wajib except for Imam Abu Hanifah who makes Wajib a separate category between the Fardh and the Mubah.

Mandub (Recommended): This category is recommended for the Muslim to do such as extra prayers after Zuhr and Maghrib. Doing the Mandub counts as a good deed and not doing it does not count as a bad deed or a sin.

Mubah (Allowed): This category is left undecided and left for the person, such as eating apples or oranges. Doing or not doing the Mubah does not count as a good or bad deed.
Intention of the person can change Mubah to Fard, Mandub, Makruh, or Haram.

Other things could also change the status of the Mubah. For example, any Mubah becomes Haram if it is proven harmful, and any necessary thing to fulfill a Fardh is a Fardh too.

Makruh (Hated): This category is a detested and hated such as growing very long fingernails or sleeping on the stomach. Not doing the Makruh counts as a good deed and doing it does not count as a bad deed.

Haram (Prohibited): This category is prohibited for the Muslim to do such as stealing and lying. Doing the haram counts as a bad deed and not doing it counts as a good deed.

"Fiqh literally means, the true understanding of what is intended. An example of this usage can be found in the Prophet Muhammad's [saaws] statement?: "To whosever Allah wished good, he gives the Fiqh (true understanding) of the deen". Technically, however, fiqh referes to the science of deducing Islamic Laws from evidence found in the sources of Islamic law. By extension it also means the body of Islamic laws so deduced." -Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips in: 'The Evolution of Fiqh'

Fitnah Polytheism and to disbelieve after one has believed in Allah, or a trial or a calamity, affliction or to set up rivals in worship with Allah, etc. 2:193, 5:71
Fitrah Islamic scholar al-Sayyuti said: "The best explanation of fitrah is that it is the Sunnah (way) of all of the Prophets which is in agreement with (all of) the revealed Laws, indicating that it is a response to naturally created inclinations." 30:30

Ghaib Unseen 2:3, 2:33, 72:26

Hadith / Hadeeth Literally means "something new". In Islam, refers to that which is attributed to the Prophet (saaws) as regards words, actions or tacit approval, physical features and characteristics
Halal Permissible, lawful
Haraam Prohibited, illegal
Hasan Good or acceptable. Used to indicate authenticity of some reports
Hijab Literally means Concealing, screening, protecting and is used to refer to the mandatory dress of the muslim, male or female. (Plural is hujub)
The root word of hijab is hajaba and that means: hajb (to veil), cover, screen, shelter, seclude (from), to hide, obscure (from sight), to make imperceptible, invisible, to conceal, to make or form a separation (a woman), to disguise, masked, to conceal, hide, to flee from sight, veil, to veil, conceal, to cover up, become hidden, to be obscured, to vanish, to become invisible, disappear from sight, to veil, to conceal, to withdraw, to elude perception.

Hajb: seclusion, screening off, keeping away, keeping off
Hujub: cover, wrap, drape, a curtain, a woman's veil, screen, partition, folding screen, barrier
Ihtijab: Concealment, hiddenness, seclusion, veildness, veiling, purdah
Mahjub: concealed, hidden, veiled

Hijrah Means migration. The Hijrah refers to the Prophet's migration from Mecca to Madinah. This journey took place in the twelfth year of his mission (622 C.E.). This is the beginning of the Muslim calendar. The word hijrah means to leave a place to seek sancturary or freedom from persecution or freedom of religion or any other purpose. Hijrah can also mean to leave a bad way of life for a good or more righteous way.
Hudud The limits ordained by Allah. This includes the punishment for crimes.

meknesi
10-11-2005, 12:37 PM
mashallah thats good

meknesi

Uma Rayanah
10-11-2005, 12:41 PM

Jazaakum Allahu Khair,.,.

Glad dat was useful... :D

Uma Rayanah
11-23-2005, 12:40 PM

THE LATEST....--------> AL JADIID...

Iblîs A jinn and shaytaan (satan) 2:34
Iftar To break the fast
Iqâmat-as-Salât Offer prayers perfectly 5:12, 35:29
Ilâh Deity, lord, god 5:73, 114:3
Imân (Eemân) Faith
Islam Submission to Allah's Will
Isnad Has two meanings:
Ascribing a hadeeth back to the one who said it - connecting the chain of narration, and
The chain of narrators which reaches back to the text - which is the same as "as-sanad"

Istawa Rose over - very important to understand in context of the ayat 2:29

Jahiliyyah Extreme ignorance (jahl) and disbelief. Often used to describe the era that preceeded the revelation of the Qur'an, and ignorance in general.
Jihad To fight and kill in the path of Allah, the enemies of Allah, for the cause of Allah. It can also be used to mean to strive in the path of Allah.
Jilbaab A loose-fitting garment covering the entire body, so that the shape of the woman is not defined but hidden, including covering the head, face, and hands. (Plural is Jalabib)
Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) relates:
"Women used to room about without Cloaks (Jilbaabs) and men used to see their faces and hands, but when the verse stating 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks over themselves.' (Surah Al-Ahzaab,V.59) was revealed, then this was prohibited and women were ordered to wear the Jilbaab. ...The word Jilbaab means a sheet which Ibn Masood (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) explained as a cloak covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. Therefore, it is not permissible for the women to reveal the face and hands in public. [Ibn Taymiyyah's book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 also in the book Hijaab Page # 15]

Jinn A creation of Allah made from smokeless fire. They are also invited to accept Islam and will have to give account of their deeds on the Day of Judgement Jinn

Ka'ba A square stone building in Al-Masjid-al-Haram (the well-known mosque at Makka) . Muslims line up in prayer facing towards this direction. 5:97
Kafarah Disbelievers in Allah in His Oneness and in His Messenger Muhammad 81:42
Kâfirûn Disbelievers in Allah, in His Oneness, in His Angels, in His Books, in His Messengers, in the Day of Resurrection, in Al-Qadar (Divine Preordainments, good or bad), etc. Surah 109
Khabîth evil 5:100
Khalafee A person who chooses to follow the later generations of Muslims as opposed to the early ones
Khutbah A speech or sermon. It is sometimes used to refer to the sermon given during the Friday congregational prayer.
Kuwwirat Wound round and lost its light and is overthrown 81:1

Laghw Dirty, false, evil vain talk 28:55

Madhdhab, Muthab Way, school of thought, direction, manner, mode. A muslim should not follow a madhdhab when it contradicts clear proof in Quran and Sunnah.
Maulâ Lord, Helper, Protector, Supporter, Patron 9:51, 2:286
Mahram A male, whom a woman can never marry because of close relationship (e.g. a brother, a father, an uncle etc.); or her own husband
Masjid A place designated for salah. Called "Mosque" in English.
Minhaj Methodology, e.g. methods, rules, system, procedures.
Muhsin Good-doer, i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allah's sake only without any show off or to gain praise or fame etc., and in accordance with the Sunna of Allah's Messenger Muhammed 2:112
Munkar Wrong, evil-doing, sins, polytheism, disbelief, etc. 5:79
Mushrikûn Polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the ONeness of Allah, those who worship others along with Allah, and also those who set up rivals with (or partners to) Allah, swt, etc. 16:20, 61:9
Mutaffifin Those who give less in measure and weight (decrease the rights of others) 83:1
Mutawattir Literally means "succession, consecutive." Islamically refers to hadith which is narrated by such a large number of people that it is impossible (Allahu Alim) that they have invented a lie. Its conditions :
That it be narrated by a large number of people. Scholars differ about the actual number required
That this number is found in every level of the isnaad
That it is impossible that they could have gathered together upon a lie

Muttaqûn Pious and righteous persons who fear Allah swt much (abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allah has forbidden) and love Allah much (perform all kinds of good deeds which Allah has ordained). 2:2, 9:44, 11:49, 16:30, 16:31, 92:17

Nafs Adam or a person or a soul etc. 91:7
Najaassa Impurity 9:28
Nawâfil Additional,optional practice of worshipprayers 87:15
Niqab A face cover that is in an affixed position, i.e. a face veil.

Uma Rayanah
12-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Qabîluhu Satan's soldiers from the jinns or his tribe 7:27
Qadar Decree, Preordainment of Allah's Will. One of the five pillars of Islam.
Qiblah Prayer Direction (for Muslims, it is to face the Ka'ba) 2:143-150
Qudsi / Qudsee That which is narrated to us from the Prophet (saaws) from his Lord, the Exalted and Mighty.
The difference between it and the Qur’aan - The most obvious differences are:

As for the Qur’aan, then its meaning and wording is from Allaah and the hadeeth qudsee, its meaning is from Allaah and its wording from the Prophet (saaws).
The Qur’aan is recited in Prayer as part of worship, but the hadeeth qudsee is not.
The Qur’aan is all mutawaatir and the hadeeth qudsee does not have to be.
Compilations of ahaadeeth qudseeyyah:

"al-Ittihaafaatus-Saniyyah bil Ahaadeethil Qudseeyyah" - `Abdur-Ra’oof al-Manaawee, which contains 272 hadeeth.

Sadaqa Deeds of charity done in Allah's (swt) cause
Sahabah Companions of the Prophet
Saheeh / Sahih Literally means "Sound, healthy." Islamically it refers to the following:
The hadithwhose isnaad is connected through "just" (‘adl) and precise (daabit) narrators from beginning to end, not being shaadhdh or having a hidden defect (‘illah).

The five conditions :

ittisaalus- sanad - - That its isnaad is connected. That every one of its narrators heard it directly from the person he is narrating from, from the start of the isnaad to the end.
al-`adaalah - - That all of its narrators are ‘adl (just); i.e. Muslim, Of age (baaligh), Sane (‘aaqil), Not an open sinner (faasiq), and not having bad manners and habits (makhroomul maroo.ah).
3) That all of its narrators are daabit (precise), which is of two kinds:
dabtus-sadr - (precision of the heart) - that he memorises it correctly and transmits it as he heard it and that he understands it if he is reporting its meaning.
dabtul kitaab - (precision of writing) - that he correctly writes it down, preserves it an makes sure that it is passed on correctly.
`adamush shuthooth - - That it is not shaadhdh. And the shaadhdh is when the reliable narrators contradicting those who are more reliable than him.
`adamul `illah - - That it does not contain (‘illah) hidden weakness. The ‘illah is a non-apparent factor which affects the authenticity of the hadeeth, whilst the isnaad appears to be free from it, e.g. a hidden gap in the isnaad.
If any of these five conditions are not fulfilled then the isnaad will not be saheeh.

The ruling regarding the saheeh hadeeth:

It is obligatory to act upon it according to the consensus of the scholars of hadeeth and all those whose word is counted from the scholars of usool and fiqh. It is a proof in the sharee’ah and it is not permissible for anyone to leave off acting upon it.
The most authentic isnaads:

In the view of al-Bukhaari the most authentic isnaad is: Maalik from Naafi’ from Ibn ‘Umar. [This isnaad is known as "silsilatudh-dhahab" (the chain of gold)].
In the view of Ishaaq ibn Raahawaih and Ahmad the most authentic is: Az-Zuhree from Saalim from Ibn `Umar.
In the view of Ibn al-Madeenee and al-Fallaas it is: Ibn Seereen from ‘Abeedah from ‘Alee.
In the view of Ibn Ma’een it is: Al A’amash from Ibraaheem An-Nakha’ee from ‘Alqamah from `Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood.
In the view of Ibn Abee Shaybah it is: Az-Zuhree from ‘Alee Ibn al-Husayn from al-Husayn from ‘Alee.
The first book written to include only the saheeh:

"Saheehul Bukhaari" which was followed by "Saheeh Muslim". The more authentic of the two being "Saheehul Bukhaari".
Neither al-Bukhaari nor Muslim tried to gather all of the authentic ahaadeeth in their books:

Saheehul Bukhaari contains 7,275 ahaadeeth including repetitions and about 4,000 without repetitions. Saheeh Muslim contains about 12,000 with repetitions and about 4,000 without.
Which of the hadeeth of al-Bukhaari and Muslim have the ruling of being definitely saheeh?:

Only the hadeeth which they report with a connected isnaad are so counted. As for those which are reported with a narrator or narrators missing from the start of the isnaad, then they are termed mu’allaq. al-Bukhaari often does this in the chapter headings, but not within the text of his book. And these narrations are of two types:
That which is reported with certainty, e.g. he said, he ordered, he mentioned - then that is judged to be saheeh from the person it is narrated from.
That reported without certainty, e.g. it is said that, it is reported that (using the passive tense), then that does not carry the automatic ruling of it being saheeh.

Salaf Literally means "those (from history) who precede, have gone before".
Salaf as-Saalih The people of the past, namely the first three generations of pious muslims during and after the revelation of the Qur'an, i.e.the Sahabah (companions) of the Prophet, saaws , the Taabi'een (followers) and the Taabi Taabi'een (followers of the followers).
Islam teaches that As-Salaf as-Saalih (or "Salaf" as sometimes referred to in short), are superior in their understanding of the Revelation of Al-Qu'ran. Generally speaking, the people present during any event (such as the revelation of the Quran) will understand it better than those who read about it later.

The Prophet, saaws, said: "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].
"The best of people is my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them (i.e. the first three generations of Muslims)." [Reported by Bukhari and Muslim- Mutawaatir].
"My Ummah will not unite upon error." [Reported by at-Tirmidhee and Haakim - Sahih]

Salafi Means "of the salaf". The "i" (sounds like "ee") on the end of the word means "of the", "of" and/or "are". The word "salafi" can only be used in association with words that are of things that are truly from the far past, and in this case (when refering to Islamic matters) are truly from the first three generation of pious muslims, or those who came after them, but who are still in the far past to us today.
Salafi dawah
(Salafy dawah) An english transposition of "dawah salafi". In Arabic, the noun comes before the adjective; in English, the adjective comes first. See dawat-us-salafiyyah
Salafi muslim There is no such thing as a "salafi muslim" (muslim of the salaf) in today's time. In order to be a salaf, you had to live during the first 3 generations during and/or after the revelation of the Qur'an. To make a sunnah out of calling yourself a salafi muslim is to state that 1) you are of the first three generations of pious muslims after the revelation of the Qur'an and 2) you have potential for division into a sect. One may use the word "Salafi Muslim" but not make a sunnah/tradition out of it, as though it is a required part of the religion.
Those who adhere to dawat-us-salafiyyah best describe themself as a "Muslim" whose minhaj (methodology/system) is Qur'an and Sunnah and madhdhab (way) is that of the salaf. Read more at article Dawat-us-salafiyyah.
41:33
Salâmu-'Alaikum Peace be unto you. The greeting between Muslims. Not to be initiated to say to a non-Muslim. 16:32
Sheikh (Shaykh) 1. A Muslim over 40 yrs old., or
2. A Muslim who is a student of knowledge. Even a new Muslim can be called a Sheikh if he is diligent in seeking the knowledge of Islam based upon Quran and authentic Sunnah. He is a Sheikh to those he can teach.

Not to be confused with an Alim (person of knowledge).

Shi'ah (Shi'ite) Those misguided who call themselves muslims, yet who hate and curse the Prophet's Companions and claim them to be apostates, claim that the Qur'an has been altered, was incorrectly delivered to Muhammad , reject the authentic Sunnah and/or worship the Prophet's family, peace be upon them.
Shirk To associate partners with Allah in all that is particular to Allah, from love, hope, fear, worship, and all other matters that are solely due to Allah, swt, alone.
Sufi A Muslim who has accepted misguidance by dividing into a sect of people who worship graves and saints and claim Divine incarnation. Tasawwuf (mystism) has come to be known as "Sufism" in the west.
SUFI, (The Persian form of the plural being Sufiyan). A man of the people called Sufiyah who profess the mystic principle of Tasawwuf. There is considerable discussion as to the origin of this word. It is said to be derived (1) from the Arabic Suf , "wool," on account of the woollen dress worn by Eastern ascetics; (2) or from the Arabic Safu, "purity," with reference to the effort to attain the metaphysical purity (which is scarcely probable); (3) or from the Greek, meaning "wisdom"; (4) or, according to the Ghiyasu'l-Lughat, it is derived from the Su fah, the name of the tribe of Arabs who in the "time of ignorance," separated themselves from the world, and engaged themselves exclusively in the service of the Makkah Temple.

From the very days of Muhammad, saaws, there have been always those who, whilst they called themselves Muslims, set aside the literal meaning of the words of Muhammad, saaws, for a supposed mystic or spiritual interpretation, and it is generally admitted by Sufis that one of the great founders of their system, as found in Islam, was the adopted son (sic) and son-in-law of the Prophet, 'Ali ibn Abi Talib. The Sufis themselves admit that their religious system has always existed in the world, prior to the mission of Muhammad, saaws, and the unprejudiced student of their system will observe that Tasawwuf, or Sufism, is but a Muslim adaptation of the Vedanta school of Hindu philosophers (sic), and which also we find in the writings of old academics of Greece, and Sir William Jones thought Plato learned from the sages of the East.

The Sufis are divided into innumerable sects, which find expression in the numerous religious orders of Darweshes or Faqirs; but although they differ in name and in some of their customs, as dress, meditations and recitations, they are all agreed in their principal tenets, particularly those which inculcate the absolute necessity of blind submission to a murshid, or inspired guide. It is generally admitted that, quite irrespective of minor sects, the Sufis are divided into those who claim to be only the Ilhamiyah, or inspired of God, and those who assert that they are Ittihadiyah, or unionist with God (sic).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ibn Al-Jawzee (ra) said:

"Then a group of people came – meaning from the Sufis – and they began to speak to them concerning hunger, poverty, fantasies and illusions. And they authored books on that, such as was done by Al-Haarith Al-Muhaasibee. Then other people came after them and they revised the way of Sufism and they characterized themselves with attributes by which they distinguished it from its (original) state. Such attributes include wearing tattered and old clothing, hearing (music), bursting out in passionate emotions, dancing and clapping. And they specified themselves by exceeding in cleanliness and purification.

Then this matter did not cease to increase in the least, and their sheikhs began to fabricate many stories for them and speak about their mystical occurrences. And this asserted their remoteness from the scholars. Rather, this asserted for them, their belief that they possessed the most complete forms of knowledge, such that they named it the hidden knowledge (al-‘ilm-ul-baatin). And they placed knowledge of the Religion as being knowledge that is apparent (al-‘ilm-ud-dhaair).

From them, were those whose severity in hunger brought them to fancy detestable illusions. Thus they claimed strong love and passion for the truth. So it is as if they imagined a figure with a beautiful appearance and thus fell madly in love with it. And these people were caught between disbelief and innovation.

Then these people divided into various orders and their beliefs grew corrupt. So from them, were some who held the view that Allaah was incarnate in His creation (hulool) and there were some who held the view that the Creator and creation were in reality one existence (Ittihaad). And the Devil did not cease to speak to them about different types of innovations until they made them aspects of the Sunnah.

And then there came Abu ‘Abd-ir-Rahmaan As-Sulamee, who wrote a book for them entitled As-Sunan, and who compiled for them Haqaa’iq-ut-Tafseer. He mentioned in it, amazing things about them (i.e. the Sufis) concerning their interpretation of the Qur’aan, based upon the mystical occurrences that befell them, without tracing that back to any of the sources where knowledge is derived from. And indeed, what brought them to take such things and place them as their views was their state of daze, due to their strict abstinence of food and their love for talking at great lengths of the Qur’aan.

Abu Mansoor ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan Al-Qazaaz related to us that: Abu Bakr Al-Khateeb informed us that: Muhammad Ibn Yoosuf Al-Qattaan An-Naisaburee said to me that: ‘Abu ‘Abd-ir-Rahmaan As-Sulamee is not reliable. And he did not used to hear anything except for a few sounds, due to deafness. So when the ruler Abu ‘Abdillaah Ibn Al-Bai’ died, he began to narrate hadeeth on the authority of Al-A’asam from Taareekh Yahyaa Ibn Ma’een as well as other similar things. And he used to fabricate ahaadeeth for the Sufis.’

Sunni 1. A belief or action that is in accordance with the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad .
2. Literally "of the Sunnah".

3. A muslim who has Blind adherence to a single Imam for all Islamic rulings. A Muslim who has accepted misguidance by dividing into a sect which prescribes to only the madhdhab of a sole Imam and ignoring the consensus of the salaf when in contradiction to their chosen Imam (i.e. Madhdhab Hanafi, Madhdhab Maliki, Madhdhab Shaffii, Madhdhab Hanabali). The salaf have instructed Muslims to not pay heed to errors in their own teaching and the same should be done with any clear errors in the teaching of any Imam, past or present.

Uma Rayanah
02-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Tâbi'een Those who met the Companions of the Prophet and learned from them.
Tafseer The explanation and understanding of the Qur'an or just a verse of the Qur'an
Tâghût Anything worshipped other than Allah, i.e. all the false deities. It may be shaytaan, jinn, idols, stones, sun, stars, angels, human beings e.g. Esau (Jesus), Messengers of Allah swt, who were falsely worshipped and taken as Tâghûts. Likewise saints, graves, rulers, leaders, etc., are falsely worshipped, and wrongly followed. 2:256
Taqleed To blindly follow a person whose following is not based on proof and does not rely upon knowledge. Also used to refer to the acceptance of all sayings of a person without knowing the evidence for the fatwa (ruling).
Taqwa Ibn Abi Shaibah reports in 'Kitab ul Eman' that the tabi'ee Talq ibn Habeeb was asked to define taqwa, so he said, 'Taqwa is acting in obedience to Allah, hoping for His Mercy, upon light from Him, and taqwa is leaving acts of disobedience to Allah out of fear of Him, upon light from Him.'
Târiq Night-comer, i.e. the bright star 86:1
Tayyib All that is good as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc. 5:100

Walî Protector, Guardian, Supporter, Helper, Friend etc. [plural 'Auliyâ] 33:17

Zakât 2.5% of wealth given yearly; One of the five pillars (i.e. duties) of a muslim 5:12, 98:5
Zâlimûn Polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-27-2006, 01:40 PM
jazakallah khair

i use to say subhannallah thinkin it meant "how perfect is Allah"

inshaAllah will try using a lot more arabic now like

laa hawla wala quwatta

sister coz of you i am now very happy i entered this forum

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR

IbnAbdulHakim
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
how do i giv reps??? :?

aakhirah
02-27-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister In Islam
Taqleed To blindly follow a person whose following is not based on proof and does not rely upon knowledge. Also used to refer to the acceptance of all sayings of a person without knowing the evidence for the fatwa (ruling).

Why do I get the image that this glossary is biased towards the salafi minhaaj?

A.

Uma Rayanah
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aakhirah

A.

well form my point of view bro ... its not :hmm:

Allah A'laam..

Uma Rayanah
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE
jazakallah khair

i use to say subhannallah thinkin it meant "how perfect is Allah"

inshaAllah will try using a lot more arabic now like

laa hawla wala quwatta

sister coz of you i am now very happy i entered this forum

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR

Wa ilyaakha
:brother: :)

Umm Yoosuf
03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aakhirah

A.
Is there anything wrong with that?:?

cleo
03-02-2006, 03:54 AM
I have so much to learn, in such a little speck of time. Thank you, I shall persue with your help and suggestions. I am alone on this planet...

itsme01
03-02-2006, 06:22 PM
wow, been looking for something like this.
thread title is kinda a misleading - i am sure that born muslims could also learn these.

thanks sis in islam.

nurul3eyn
03-05-2006, 05:28 AM
:sl: :brother: :sister:

i read all this from a website i find it really useful so i thought that i should share it with my fellow :brother: :sister: hope u learn sumfing from it :)

Expressions

ALAYHIS SALAM
'Peace be upon him', a formula used after the name of a prophet Mohammed SAW

ALLAHU AKBAR

The Arabic expression meaning 'Allah is greater.' Also called the takbir

ALLAHU ALAM
An Arabic expression meaning 'Allah knows best'

AMMA BAAD
An expression used for separating an introductory from the main topics in a speech; the introductory being usually concerned with Allahs praises and glorification. Literally it means 'whatever comes after'

ASTAGFURALLAH
The Arabic expression meaning 'I ask forgiveness of Allah'

AUDHU BILLAHI MIN ASH SHAYTAN AR RAJIM
The Arabic expression meaning 'I seek protection in Allah from the accursed satan.'

AZZA WA JAL
A formula used after the mentioning the name of Allah meaning 'Mighty and Majestic is He'

BARAKALLAH FIK
An expression which means 'May the blessings of Allah be upon you.' When a muslims wants to thank another person, he uses different statements to express his thanks, appreciation and gratitude. One of them is BarakAllah

BISMILLAH AR RAHMAN AR RAHIM
The basmala. 'In the name of Allah, the all Merciful the all Compassionate.'
[this is also translated as in the name of Allah most gracious most merciful]

FI AMANALLAH

Valedictory phrase meaning 'In Allahs protection'

FI SABILILLAH
The Arabic expression meaning 'In the way of Allah', 'For the cause of Allah' [also used to mean 'for the love of Allah']

AL HAMDU LILAH WA SHUKRU LILLAH
The Arabic expression meaning which means 'Praise belongs to Allah and all thanks to Allah'

HASBALA
The Arabic expression, 'Hasbunallah wa nimalwakil' meaning 'Allah is enough for us and an excellent guardian'

HAWQALA

The Arabic expression, 'la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah' which means 'There is no power nor strength save (expect) by Allah'

INNA LILLAHI WA INNA ILAYHI RAJIUN
This is something which a muslim expresses when he is afflicted by a misfortune, the meaning of which is 'We are from Allah and to Him are we returning.' It is taken from an ayat (verse) from the Quran (ch 2 vs 156).
[this is usually said upon hearing of the death of an individual]

INSHALLAH

The Arabic expression meaning 'If Allah wills'
[this is usually said when referring to a situation in the future e.g. inshAllah I will go to the grocery shop tomorrow etc]

ISTIGHFAR

To ask the forgiveness of Allah, especially by saying, Astagfuralah, 'I seek the forgiveness of Allah'

ISTITHNA
Exception, saying 'InshAllah', 'If Allah wills'

JALLA JALALUH

The formula said after the name of Allah meaning 'Great is His Majesty'

JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN
This is a statement of thanks and appreciation to be said to a person who does a favour. Instead of saying 'shukran' (thanks), this phrase is used. It means 'May Allah reward you with good.

KARAM ALLAHU WAJHAHU
'May Allah honour him', a formula used when Ali ibn Abi Talib (RadiAllahu Ta'ala anhu) is mentioned

LABBAYK
'At your service', the talbiya or call of the pilgrim to his Lord in the hajj.

[the full talbiya is 'LabbaykAllah huma Labbayk, LabbaykAllah sharee kalala Labbayk, innal hamda, wa naimata lakawulmulk la shareekala' which means "Here I am O Lord, here I am, Oh Allah, here I am. Here I am. You have no partner. Here I am. Surely all praise, grace and dominion is yours, and you have no partner."]

LA HAWLA WALA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH

The meaning of this expression is 'There is no power nor strength save in Allah'. This is said by a muslim when he is struck with calamity, or is taken over by a situation beyond his control.

LI WAJHILLAH
Literally, 'For the face of Allah', meaning in order to obtain the pleasure of Allah, purely for Allah himself.

MA SALAMA
'With peace', a formula for ending letters

MASHALLAH

A phrase literally meaning 'What Allah wishes', and it indicates a good omen
[example of usage, I get an A in a test, my mother would say MashAllah]

MALWANA

'Our master', a term of respect
[usually used in the context of referring to the Prophet Mohammed SAW, also however used in the context of referring to a learned individual e.g. scholar or imam, a concept I am not too keen on supporting and Allah knows best]

RABBANA WA LAKAL_HAMD
'Our Lord, Praise if yours', said after rising from ruku after saying 'sami Allahuliman hamidah'
[which means 'Allah listens to the one who praises him']

RADIYALLAHU ANHA

The formula 'May Allah be pleased with her' used after a female companion
[usually abbreviated as RA or RAA]

RADIYALLAHU ANHU
This is an expression to be used by muslims whenever a name of a companion of the Prophet Muhammed is mentioned or used in writing. IT means 'May Allah be pleased with him'

RADIYALLAHU ANHUM

The formula, 'May Allah be pleased with them', used after a group of companions

RAHIMAHULLAH

The formula, 'May Allah have mercy on him'

ASSALAMU ALAYKUM
'Peace be upon you' the greeting of the muslim
[the reply is 'wa alaikumus salam' which means 'and peace be upon you. The fuller version reads, 'assalam u alaikum wa rahmatulahi wa baakatuhu' which means 'peace be upon you and the blessings and mercy of Alllah' the reply is 'wa alaikumus salam wa rahmatulahi wa baakatuhu']

SALLAHU ALAYHI WA SALLAM
'May Allah bless him and grant him peace', the formula spoken after the mentioning of the Prophet Muhammed Mohammed SAW
[usually the following two sets of abbreviations are used for this phrase (pbuh) which means 'peace be upon him' and is the technical reply for all Prophets or (saws) the correct suffix when referring to the Prophet Muhammed Mohammed SAW]

SAMI ALLAHU LIMAN HAMIDAH

'Allah heard him who send praise to Him', said by someone praying when he rises from ruku (unless he is following an imam in prayer)
[if he is following an imam in prayer he says 'Rabana wala kalhamd' only]

SAYYIDUNA
'Our Master', a term of respect
[usually used to refer to the Prophet Muhammed Mohammed SAW, however many people use it to refer to learned man / scholar, a practise I am not keen on - and Allah knows best]

SUBHANALLAH
'Glorified is Allah.' To honour Allah andmake Him free from all (unsuitable evil things) that are ascribed to Him, (or 'Glorified be Allah')

SUBHANAHU WA TA'ALA
'Glorified is He and exalted,' an expression that muslims use when the name of Allah is pronounced or written
[this us usually abbreviated as (swt)]

TA'ALA

'Exalted is He', an expression used after the name of Allah is mentioned
[i.e. Allah Ta'ala meaning, Allah, exalted be He]

TAAWWUDH

Saying, 'I seek refuge in Allah...' (audhu billahi minash shaitan nirajeem)

TABARAKALLAH

The formula 'Blessed is Allah'

TAHMID

Saying the expression 'alhamdulillah', which means 'Praise belongs to Allah'

TAKBIR
Saying 'Allahu akbar', which means 'Allah is Great'

TALBIYA
Saying 'Labbayk', which means 'At your service' during the hajj

TAMJID
Glorifying Allah

TARDIYA
Saying one of the expressions which begin with 'radiyallahu....'

TASBIH

Glorification, saying 'SubhanAllah', which means 'Glory be to Allah'

TASHMIT

Uttering a prayer for the sneezer which thes the form, 'yarhamuk Allah' which means 'may Allah have mercy on you'
[when a person sneezes he says, Ahamdulillah (Praise be to Allah), a person who hears the sneeze says 'yarhamuk Allah' and the sneezer replies 'Yahdikumul-lah wa Yuslih balakum' which means 'May Allah give you guidance and improve your condition.']

WAJHULLAH

'The face of Allah', meaning for the sake of Allah, irrespective of any reward in this life, purely for Allah'

From 'Glossary of Islamic Terms'
By Aisha Bewley

There is more if you are interested e.g

Short Phrases Of Islamic Manners and
Islamic Vocabulary

visit the link bellow insha'allah it will be very beneficial

http://islam.worldofislam.info/index...d=404&Itemid=0

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.