/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Just Quran or Quran & Hadith?

vpb
12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I've read some things in --- and my question is

if Qur'an says that the only book that we should obey the rules is the hadith of Allah which is the Qur'an, isn't against Allah to add in our rules the hadith thas has been written my men?
ex. many many muslims follow the rules in Qur'an and the rules in Hadith that are written by people.

I think every single muslim should follow only the rules of Qur'an and no rules of other book. God has asked to follow only the Qur'an so He as asked Muhammed (PBUH) to so.

I want an opinion or critics of my thinking

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Halima
12-11-2005, 04:27 PM
:salamext:

Yes, it is indeed extremely wrong for one to add his/her own rules into the holy book this is known as innovation. Innovation means changed and we as muslims are strictly prohibited if we try to change anything wether it be the Quran, or the Hadith. It is against Allah (swt) because it is only him that has made our holy book (quran) and it is only meant for us to follow it. The narration explains below if we were to ever do an innovation that this is a major sin. Innovation is not a good thing, becuase it is also considered a Bid'ah.

From this definition, we can see that there are two factors that make a given statement or action a bid`ah:
1. The matter must have something to do with religion.
2. The matter must be something new without a precedent in Islamic Law.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever starts in Islam a good practice (sunnah hasanah) and is emulated by others in doing so will get the reward of it and the reward of all those who act upon it without their rewards being diminished in any respect. And whosoever starts in Islam an evil practice (sunnah sayyi’ah) and is emulated by others will bear the sin of it and the sin of all those who act on it without their burden being diminished in the least. [Sahîh Muslim: (1017)]

A Muslim is obligated to preserve and uphold the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and to eschew innovations.

The meaning of “good Sunnah” in this hadîth – and Allah knows best – is to renew a Sunnah of our Prophet (peace be upon him) that has disappeared, been forgotten, or has become neglected.

It does not mean to initiate a new practice that has no basis in Islamic teachings. That would be an innovation.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours that is not part of it, then it will be rejected.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

And Allah knows best.

:wasalamex

- Qatada -
12-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Messenger, and do not make your deeds of no effect. (47:33)

Whatever Allah has given to HIS Messenger as spoils from the people of the towns, it is for Allah and for the Messenger and for the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, in order that it may not circulate only among those of you who are rich. And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain from it. And fear Allah, surely, Allah is Severe in retribution. (59:08)

Verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much (33:21)

from the examples above. its really obvious we have to apply the sunnah within our lives. otherwise we wouldn't even know how to perform our salaah properly, we wouldn't know how to fast properly, we wouldn't know how to pay zakaat properly, we wouldn't even know how to perform hajj properly. so how can we not apply the sunnah within our lives? jazak Allaah khayr.

we have to follow the sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam.

you can check this site out more to find out why we have to follow the sunnah.

http://www.muhajabah.com/sunna-yes.htm

Allaah u a'lam.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

mini explanation of how the hadith were collected.
http://www.islamicboard.com/114506-post22.html

- Qatada -
12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
But some people say to themselves that our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam spoke out of desire, because they were just like any ordinary human being?

These are the communications of Allah which We recite to you with truth; then in what announcement would they believe after Allah and His communications? (45:6)

now referring to this, what our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam said in no way contradicted the qur'an. hadhrat Aa'isha (r.a) even said that our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam, was a walking qur'an, and obviously they would in no way do/act to the opposite of what the qur'an says because our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam is a messenger from Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala and the prophets of Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala do not commit any sins at all, but they can make mistakes (this is to give people examples of what to do in situations - Allaah u a'lam.)

Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala says that They could have even revealed the qur'an on top of a mountain.

Had We sent down this Qur'an on a mountain, verily, thou wouldst have seen it humble itself and cleave asunder for fear of Allah. Such are the similitudes which We propound to men, that they may reflect. (59:21)

but instead, Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala sent a messenger as an example to us so we would know how to lead our lives.

Verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much (33:21)

from the ayah above, Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala encourages us to follow the example of our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam insha Allaah. if you look into the hadith, most will just give a deeper understanding of what the qur'an says.. none of the authentic hadith contradict the qur'an and if any hadith did contradict the qur'an, it wouldn't be counted as authentic because our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi wasalam would never say anything against Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala's command.

if Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala's messenger did say a fake lie against Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala:

[69:44] And if he had forged a false saying concerning Us,)

(45. We surely would have seized him by his right hand,)

(46. And then We certainly would have cut off Al-Watin* from him,)

(47. And none of you could have prevented it from him.)

(48. And verily, this is a Reminder for those who have Taqwa.)

* Ibn `Abbas said, "It (Al-Watin) refers to the artery of the heart, and it is the vein that is attached to the heart.''

does that help? please reply back if you have any more questions insha Allaah. :)

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
12-11-2005, 08:26 PM
:sl:
if Qur'an says that the only book that we should obey the rules is the hadith of Allah which is the Qur'an, isn't against Allah to add in our rules the hadith thas has been written my men?
There are two mistakes in the above quote. First of all, the Qur'an clearly states that we must obey the Messenger as well; it does not say that the only source of guidance is the Qur'anic text itself. Secondly, the hadith are not the words of men, they are the recorded narrations about Prophet Muhammad pbuh whom the Qur'an describes as our role model.

See also: The Indispensability of Hadith

Br. vpb, let me ask you a practical question: Do you pray Salat? If so, how do you pray? Where can you find this description in the Qur'an?

:w:

Mawaddah
12-11-2005, 09:58 PM
^ Yes exactly, as how the Ulama say the Qur'aan states the rulings in a general context, and then the Sunnah (i.e. the hadeeth which have come from the Prophet) explains them to us. We cannot say that the hadeeth are just written by the whims of people! A'udhubillah!. we must apply all saheeh hadeeth to our lives, because they have come from a line of trustworthy people who are relating to us the actions and sayings of the Prophet peace be upon him. Indeed if we were to say that we cannot do with the hadeeth would be as if taking away some of our Islaam because then we would not be able to practise our Islaam at all. This reminds me of the sayings of some of the Dhaahiriyyah who take only from the Qur'aan without applying anything else. If we weren't to follow the sunnah then how would we know exactly what to give for Zakaah? how would we know exactly which du'as to say for Hajj? how would we know exactly how many stones to pick up for the throwing at Muzdalifah? and etc. etc. etc.
So surely according to the explanations of the brothers hafidhahumullah, that our Islaam would not be complete without applying the Sunnah of our Prophet peace be upon him......which only comes in Hadeeth :)

WAssalam

sapphire
12-11-2005, 10:03 PM
with out hadith you cant folow the quraan with out quraan you cant follow hadith....so you need both....as the Quran states commands and the hadith explains...like namaaz...we are told to read it in the quraan...the hadith tels us the number of rakaats....

vpb
12-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Selam Alejkum,
thank you for your posting but
to make it clear what I want to know, I will take an example (this is from what I have read) because I am a little bit confused and I want to know what is the truth
24:31 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands.......

so the Qur'an says that the believer have to wear something to cover their bosoms, but I have nowhere read that it says (ex. women) must cover their heads. this makes me think, how could in hadith say that women must wear veil on their head when the Qur'an does not mention it and we know that Qur'an tells about things that we have to do and It makes statements very clear.
or another example is the music
Qur'an nowhere prohibits the music, and in hadiths it says that Prophet Muhamed (Peace be upon him) denied the music. We all know that Allah makes things very clear in Qur'an what we are prohibited and He does not forget, so how can this thing happen??

I am just trying to find what the right cuz I'm little bit confused !

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-11-2005, 10:42 PM
I am just trying to find what the right cuz I'm little bit confused !
:sl: vrb,
First of all, I'm glad you admitted the above because it is very important for people to be honest with themselves. In my experience dialoguing with people who don't accept ahadith, I find that the vast majority of them have no formal education in Islam or hadith sciences. They are not scholars who have studied the hadith sciences and based on knowledhe have come to the conclusion that hadith are not authentic. No, the vast majority of people who reject hadith are laymen who come across a hadith that they don't understand or that they find troubling, and instead of going to a scholar to clarify the issue, they say, "This hadith doesn't make sense to me. It CAN'T be true." Unforuntately, many people have become deviated in this manner, all because they didn't ask the people of knowledge concerning the hadith they didn't understand. Sufyan ibn ‘Uyayna, the great early hadith scholar, used to remark: al-hadith madilla illa li’l-‘ulama’: ‘the hadith are a pitfall, except for the scholars.’

Now, on to your questions....
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
24:31 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands.......
This is a good example. The important thing to remember is that verses of the Qur'an should be understood in the way the Prophet Muhammad pbuh explained it and the companions understood it. Because their understanding was the correct understanding. So if we read in the Qur'an that you must do 'X', and the Prophet saws says that 'X' means that you do such-and-such, then this is the correct interpretation of 'X'. Similarly, if the Qur'an says that we should not do 'Y' and the companions of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh understood 'Y' to refer to such-and-such, then this is the correct interpretation.

So in the above verse, the arabic says, 'wal yadribna bi khumurihinna 'ala juyubihinna'. Meaning that they should draw their veils over their entire body except for what is apparent (ilaa maa dha-ha-ra minhaa). The companions understood this exception to refer only to the face and the hands, as did the righteous early Muslims for centuries. So for someone to come now and say that "actually muslim women do not have to cover their hair", is ludicrous, because the companions understood this verse to mean that everything must be covered except the face and hands. Are the hadith-rejectors going to assert that the companions and pious Muslims for centuries have all been misguided?! Clearly, that is not the case.

so the Qur'an says that the believer have to wear something to cover their bosoms, but I have nowhere read that it says (ex. women) must cover their heads.
Actually, the word in arabic is not 'bosoms' it is juyubihinna.
The word *Juyubihinna, according to most scholars, refers to the head, ears, neck and chest. To fulfil the minimum requirements of Hijab, a Muslim woman covers her entire body, except her face and hands. Once Asma, daughter of Abu Bakr, entered upon the Prophet wearing thin clothes. The Prophet turned his attention from her. He said, “O Asma, when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this,” and he pointed to his face and hands. [Abu Dawud]. (SOURCE)
I hope that clarifies.
this makes me think, how could in hadith say that women must wear veil on their head when the Qur'an does not mention it and we know that Qur'an tells about things that we have to do and It makes statements very clear.
The Qur'an gives the general principles which are clarified and explained in the hadith.

or another example is the music
Qur'an nowhere prohibits the music, and in hadiths it says that Prophet Muhamed (Peace be upon him) denied the music. We all know that Allah makes things very clear in Qur'an what we are prohibited and He does not forget, so how can this thing happen??
The Islamic Ruling on Music and Singing

I hope this helps.

vpb
12-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Ansar Al-'Adl, so basiclly the music that tries to move you from the right path (Islam) to a bad path is prohibited?

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Ansar Al-'Adl, so basiclly the music that tries to move you from the right path (Islam) to a bad path is prohibited?
:sl: We had a big discussion on music in this thread, which ended with this post in which I said:
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Before I close this thread, I would like to re-iterate what I have said previously about the consensus of Muslim scholars on this issue. Scholars would agree that profane music or music that incites one to do evil (as is most prominent in the western music industry) or music that promotes immorality - all these are haraam. Scholars would also agree that simple vocal songs (nasheeds) calling one to Allah swt or reminding one of the truth, that these are permissable. Between these two categories there is a large grey area. So let every individual focus on what will benefit them in the afterlife.

For more information:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showpost...&postcount=194
I hope this helps.

knowledgeofself
12-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Hello again my brothers and sisters, I'm writing to add another discussion: Is the Qur'aan the only hadith we need? Why would we need any more hadiths to live according to Allah's will? Please give me some answers. Lets talk:sister:

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Threads merged.

As you can see, this topic has already been discussed. A Muslim must follow both the Qur'an and the ahadith.

anthiok
12-24-2005, 11:42 PM
I've read some things in --- and my question is

ex. many many muslims follow the rules in Qur'an and the rules in Hadith that are written by people.

I think every single muslim should follow only the rules of Qur'an and no rules of other book. God has asked to follow only the Qur'an so He as asked Muhammed (PBUH) to so.

I want an opinion or critics of my thinking

Where have you been my dear friend? Perhaps since I am a newcomer, I just noticed this thread.

Honestly, I agree with you. Allah ordered us to follow Qur'an, nothing more. Authenticity of a hadith can always be subject to discussion, but the words of Allah are not.

In fact, don't forget that nothing of a word from our prophet Mohammed (S.A.V.) was written down during his lifetime. He did not want it to happen.

In my life, many times I witnessed how people convey someone's saying after a few weeks. What about 200 years after our prophet passed away?? After three generations? How can we conduct our behaviors and our way of life with regard to hadiths? Especially if it has no reference in noble Qur'an?

I think we must be returning to Qur'an, the one and only untouched reference Allah ordered us to follow. Otherwise, we do nothing but create new boundaries to our lives, and face the threat of degenerating our pure religion. In fact we keep on making that for hundreds of years.

A similar discussion occurs in the thread "Is clapping permissible?"

Khaldun
12-25-2005, 01:18 AM

Honestly, I agree with you. Allah ordered us to follow Qur'an, nothing more.
O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Apostle [Surah Nisa Ayah 59]

In fact, don't forget that nothing of a word from our prophet Mohammed (S.A.V.) was written down during his lifetime. He did not want it to happen.
Please read this

Preservation of Hadith

A. During the Lifetime of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam).
The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) encouraged his Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhum) to acquire and teach his Hadith/Sunnah to others. This resulted in their taking a keen interest in the life of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) and thus they memorized everything that they heard from him and saw him do.

The course of study which the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) prescribed for the Ashab al-Suffah (Companions of the Platform) included, inter alia, the study of the Qur'an, his Sunnah and the art of writing. The Prophet when appointing officials gave preference to those who were learned in the Qur'an as well as the Hadith.

The Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhum) did not only commit many of the Ahadith to memory, but, some of them went a step further and recorded them in writing them on stone-tablets, skin, bones and on some form of paper as well. Each of these written documents came to be known as a Sahifah.

The Prophet's (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) written documents in the form of letters inviting the chieftains and Kings to Islam, the treaties and agreements he concluded with the different Arabian tribes, Jews and Christians in Arabia; and the letters addressed to the Muslim governors detailing the rules for Zakaat and other legal matters, all fall under the category of the teaching of his Sunnah through the written medium. Some of the Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhum) had written down the Ahadith. The scribes of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) for example, Abd Rafi'i, 'Abd Allah ibn 'Amr ibn Al-'Aas and Zayd ibn Thabit were entrusted with the writing down of the Ahadith, treatises of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), laws, and letters etc. After the demise of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) the importance of Hadith increased even further.

B. After The Demise of The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam)
From the very beginning Muslims were interested in what the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said and did. After the demise of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) his Ahadith began to be disseminated along with the spread of Islam beyond the confines of Arabia. Newcomers to the fold of Islam were anxious to bear and learn about him. The Sahabah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) were given an eager hearing as they spoke about the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam). In this way a great number of Ahadith came to be disseminated.

At this juncture it should be noted that the Ahadith were constantly being memorised and repeatedly reported by the Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). In this domain the Ashab al-Suffah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) played a vital role. The most famous amongst them was Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) who chose to remain with the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) in order to learn everything that the Prophet did or said. However, he did not write down the Ahadith but is noted to have transmitted the largest number of Ahadith.

It should be pointed out here that the writing down of the Ahadith was not encouraged lest the Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) confuse the Hadith with the Qur'anic text. However, despite the reluctance on the part of some Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) to take part in the process of writing down the Ahadith, there were some who wrote them down, even during the lifetime of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam). For example, 'Abd Allah ibn 'Amr (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) complained to the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) that he had a problem in memorising what he beard from him, so the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) told him that he should seek the assistance of his right hand i.e. suggesting he should write them down. He called his collection al-Sahifah al-Sadiqah (The Truthful Tract).

Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu), who did not write down the Ahadith but nevertheless chose 138 Hadith dealing with al-Akhlaq (Ethics and Morality) from the vast number of Ahadith he had memorised and dictated them to his student Hammam ibn Munabbih. Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) entitled this collection al-Sahifah al-Sahihah (The Correct Tract). This Sahifah has been edited by Dr Muhammad Hamidullah of Paris.

C. After the Companions (Radhiallaahu Ánhu)
In the year 101/719 the Caliph 'Umar ibn 'Abd al-'Aziz (61101/680-719), fearing the loss of Ahadith, appointed learned scholars like Imaam Muhammad ibn Muslim ibn Shibab al-Zuhri (d.124/742) to compile Hadith literature. Al-Zuhri was a renown authority on Hadith. It is stated by Ibn Sa'd that al-Zuhri had collected a considerable number of Ahaadith with the result "that after his death several riding beasts were needed to transport his manuscripts.

'Umar ibn 'Abd al-'Aziz also wrote letters to scholars of Hadith all over the then Islamic world and appealed to them to embark upon the task of compiling the Ahadith that were then available in the form of books. Thus, through his initiative, the Ahadith that were scattered throughout the Muslim domain came to be systematically collected and preserved.

However, the first comprehensive and systematic compilation of Hadith was undertaken by Imam Malik ibn Anas (d.179/795). His compilation is entitled Al-Muwatta' (The Trodden Path), and contains Ahadith dealing with different legal topics. Thereafter other compilations of Hadith came into existence either in the form of Musnad or Musannaf collections.

In my life, many times I witnessed how people convey someone's saying after a few weeks. What about 200 years after our prophet passed away?? After three generations? How can we conduct our behaviors and our way of life with regard to hadiths? Especially if it has no reference in noble Qur'an?

Please read the Quran throughly before making accusations against it.

...and whatever the Apostle gives you, accept it, and from whatever he forbids you, keep back, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah; surely Allah is severe in retributing (evil): [Surah Hashr Ayah 7]

Certainly you have in the Apostle of Allah an excellent exemplar for him who hopes in Allah and the latter day and remembers Allah much.
[Surah Ahzab Ayah 21]

I think we must be returning to Qur'an, the one and only untouched reference Allah ordered us to follow. Otherwise, we do nothing but create new boundaries to our lives, and face the threat of degenerating our pure religion. In fact we keep on making that for hundreds of years.
I agree with you, yet we should also understand the sunnah of the prophet salahu alyhi wassalam.

Remeber his statement.

Certainly I have come with The Qur'an and its like (meaning the Sunnah). He said They are never separated until they come to the Basin (ie Judgement Day)

And

I leave behind me two things. You will never go astray if you hold fast to them: The Qur'an and my Sunnah.

And I urge you to re-read what brother Ansar Al 'Adl wrote previous in this thread. JazzakumulAllah Khairan

anthiok
12-25-2005, 02:33 AM

Thanks for your answer Khaldun, but serious critization for your comment. I wonder how you could understand my words as an accusation against Qur'an. If I have intended so, then I would not be a Muslim at all. What I would like to say is:

'Of course prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) did show a perfect example of a Muslim. But how can we make sure if all his words (hadiths) have been correctly told after many years following his death? Therefore, the hadiths which contain commands that we can not find any resemblance of the ones in Qur'an should not be accepted as absolute rules.'

And I am sure you know how difficult it is to differ what is authentic and what is not in regard to hadiths. So, what advise would you offer to ordinary Muslims? Should they investigate deeply all hadiths they are told? Or should they believe every of them? For example, do you believe in every hadith that is written in Al-Bukhari's or Muslim's? Even if some may look strange to you?

Please read this portion taken from an article by Syed Akbar Ali (1997), named 'HADITH: A re-evaluation'

"It is a recorded historical fact, as we have seen in the last chapter, that at the time of the Prophet's death in the 11th year of the Hijra (632 AD), the whole of the Quran, which had been revealed to the Prophet, had been carefully written down and arranged in an order as directed by the Prophet himself. This historical testimony supports the Divine assertion of the Quran's arrangement under Divine direction.

On the other hand, there exists no hadith collection that Muhammad himself authenticated. In fact, he was reported to prohibit the writing down of any hadith. Even among the religious scholars there is much controversy over what is termed the mutawattir hadith, or multiple-source reports. Some say that there are seven of these, some say only one while others say none at all. If the hadith scholars cannot agree on the number of the very few multiple-source reports, how could they impose the 6,000-odd so-called authentic hadiths of Bukhari on the Sunnite Muslim community? We also know that the Shi'ite Muslim community have their own hadith collections.

As we have seen in Chapter III, the so-called authentic hadith collections came into being after much editing by the likes of Bukhari and Muslim only about 250 years after the Prophet's death. The `authentic' or `genuine' (sahih) label attached to the collected and edited works of these six collectors is a subjective classification based on certain criteria, which may not be agreed to by other scholars. This is the source of the hitherto endless debate on the authenticity of the hadith.

What is not realized by the general Muslim community now is that all these hadith reporters and scholars in their own day had their critics who are now conveniently forgotten. In some cases, a particular scholar's opinion or writing came to dominate the Muslim mind because those writings received support from the caliph or whatever authority existing at that time. A good example is the action of Caliph Harun Al-Rashid who wanted to ban the writings of all Muslim scholars except the book Al-Muwatta of Imam Malik ibn Anas. The caliph insisted on making Al-Muwatta as the standard text by which to formulate the Shari`a or Islamic law. Fortunately, it was through the insistence of Imam Malik himself that such a course of action was denied, hence allowing debate and fruitful discussion to continue in the caliph's realm. Imam Malik felt compelled to speak up because he understood that, after all, his writings could be mistaken. The human intellect is eminently fallible.

Compared to all these weaknesses which beset the hadith, the Quran is completely vouchsafed for its authenticity by no less an authority than God Himself.

The majority follows only conjecture, and conjecture is no substitute for the truth. God is fully aware of everything they do. But the Quran can never be invented by other than God. It confirms all previous scriptures, and consummates them. There is absolutely no doubt that it comes from the Lord of the Universe."

May Allah be with you all

akulion
12-25-2005, 04:21 AM
Salam Alaikum

If you are referring to Syed Akbar Ali of ---------------- and progressivemuslims.org then I will only say this to you.

These websites and organizations are not run by Muslims at all.
They portray Hadith to be a "lie" and consider anyone following the hadith to be a non-Muslim.
They are also promoting the "taking off the hijab" and "hijab is not Islamic" idealogy which is basically rejecting Allah's commandments.

Yet when you ask these "Muslims" to produce evidence from the Quran alone on any of the following they are speechless:
- How to pray in detail
- Which Surahs to say in the Salah
- Prohibition of Temporary marriages
- Prohibition on eating of Donkey meat
and there are many more too, I am just listing a few to demonstrate.

Salah is one of the Pillars of Islam - yet if they cant explain with detail how to pray and give references from the Quran alone then I wonder how they can say they are on Islam.

Secondly - Allah swt has clearly given us the Prophet Mohammed(s) as a guide and teacher who explained the Quran to us. Explanations are present in Hadith. But these people want you to follow their OWN intepretations of the Quran and in thus introducing innovation into Islam.

Ask yourself this, if 100 people read the Quran and each had a different opinion on solid grounds using the Quran then whose interpretation would you follow?

The Prophet made everything clear for us in his sayings and way of life. The same people who carried forward the Quran to us also carried forward the Hadith to us. They fought for and stood up for Islam with their whole existance and preserved the texts to bring us the Authentic versions. The scholars of today can not be compared to famous scholars such as Imam Malik or Imam Shafi' who devoted their entire existance to Islam.

So Quite frankly this "Syed Akbar Ali" and his "groupies" are nothing more than a bunch of losers who want to get some attention - and I for one reject not just their words but their very existance. :)

If anyone says "Follow the Quran Only" then I say to them by all means follow and obey the Quran - but dont pick and choose, follow it all :)

Al-Quran, Chapter 3 Al-Imran, Verse 32
Say: "Obey Allah and His Apostle"; but if they turn back Allah loveth not those who reject Faith.

Al-Quran, Chapter 33 Al-Ahzab, Verse 36
It is not fitting for a Believer man or woman when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Apostle to have any option about their decision: if anyone disobeys Allah and His Apostle he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path.

- Qatada -
01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
:salamext:

A powerful lecture on how sunnah is so important, its equal in legal authority to the qur'an. With evidence from the qur'an and sunnah.

Yasir Qadhi.

Legal status of the sunnah - Part 01

Legal status of the sunnah - Part 02

:wasalamex

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.