/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with explaining please....

Rabi'ya
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
:sl:

Brothers and sisters, I need some input and some help please.....

Eid-ul-Adha will be falling around the first week back to school after the holidays, inshAllah. I help at a local Girl Guide Unit. where there are very few if any Muslims in the area. I have been asked to give a presentation(and possibly and activity) to explain Eid simply to these girls. They are aged between 10 and 15 and Ive got between 30 mins to and hour to do it....

Any suggestions I got just over 2 weeks to organise something....

JazakAllah

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Halima
12-19-2005, 04:34 PM

I don't know if my opinon will help (Allahu Alm) I hope it will help. Maybe to help explain EID to these girls is that you can ask them questions in a game format and the ones that they get wrong you can then justify their answer by telling them the correct answer. If any of the girls get the correct answer then you can just give them a piece of candy as a reward. To better organize the game you can

1) put the questions on a notepad
2) ask each of the girls one by one
3) If they say the incorrect answer tell them the correct answer
4) Give a peiece of candy for good reinforcement

Barakum Feekum

Umm Yoosuf
12-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Wa Alaikumuslaam

Seems interesting :)

How about a powerpoint presention, on Islam, eid, how it began etc, followed by Halima's game Insha Allah.

- Qatada -
12-19-2005, 05:32 PM
wa alykum as-Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

masha Allaah some good ideas.

I was thinking that you could start the presentation off by asking all the girls what they know about eid ul adha, ask them their opinions towards it too. this might take upto about 5mins, wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

After this, explain the situation of why eid-ul-adha exists, and why it is such a special event for the muslims.

you can check this link out insha Allaah for abit of info:
http://www.islamicboard.com/hajj-eid...lce-islam.html

we can try to look for more info. too insha Allaah if you need any.

try to make it as a powerpoint presentation to keep the sisters interested. we can help you with that if you want, insha Allaah. so please ask if you need any help.

throughout the presentation, its good to answer any questions the sisters have - regarding the area your discussing, this way its going to show interaction between you and the audience and its going to make it more fun, and lively instead of it just looking like a lecture.

like sister halima has said, its good to reward them with things throughout the presentation, but i think it should be something better off. eg. instead of giving sweets as a reward for a presentation - the sisters will probably want to enjoy it, but this differs to the way kids think. instead the sisters probably want a place where they can chill out and discuss things with you freely, therefore if you got abit of money, or if the people you working with have some money collected - just try spending some on sweets which can be left in the room so sisters can take them whenever they choose, or some crisps etc.

this way - the sisters will think that its a chillout place and that learning about islam is more fun, and you can enjoy it - instead of having to be forced to sit there with nothing to do and listen to a 'boring lecture.'

something as small as that can make a big difference, because most people want a place where they can relax, and because the majority of the muslim places dont have any place for the youth - the youth go to other places where it may be haraam, because they feel more freedom there - hence its really important that people start contributing to make the muslim places more lively and fun, but its important to keep it halaal insha Allaah.

after you've discussed the main topic, and what its purpose is - you can do a small quiz about it. thats just an option but you can ask the sisters whether they want to do it or not. this way, if they say no - just act casual and say its ok. but at the end of the presentation - ask them questions, and see if the sisters will respond with any answers.

they should if they relaxed and feel comfortable there insha Allaah, because remember - they want to be treated as mature adults, but they want the fun of being a teen there too; so treat them with respect and at the same time, joke about with them for a laugh so they feel comfortable insha Allaah.

after the quiz, the time may nearly be over - but start talking to them about what they going to do on eid, what they want to do on eid. sisters like talking about clothes - so ask them what they would wear on eid etc. raise their spirits and make them feel excited for it, and give them time to talk about eid with each other.. take the box of crisps, or chocalates at the end and tell them they can discuss what they want with each other, just so its like a small social gathering.. this may make them want to come together as a group of young muslimahs more often and they may feel that its fun, and most importantly - fun in a halaal way, which their parents will even approve of insha Allaah.

wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

if you need any help on anything, or in any of the tasks - then please do ask insha Allaah.

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi'ya
12-19-2005, 05:40 PM
The group im with is about 18 girls in total, do you think then, it might be an idea to do it in smaller groups inshAllah that would help interaction?

Im liking this whole idea of powerpoint but we have no such facilities where we meet. I can do some printouts to hand out i guess. does anyone know of any good leaflets available? perhaps i can hand out to the girls?I was thinking like fisibilillah publication books but i dont think they do anything suitable.

brotherhood
12-19-2005, 05:51 PM

a game would be a good idea! :D

Halima
12-26-2005, 05:30 PM

Sister Rabi'ya can you give us an update so far?

Barak'Allahu Feekum.

Rabi'ya
12-26-2005, 08:15 PM
ummm, :sl:

to be honest brothers and sister, I havent prepared anything, Ive been with my family until today for Christmas so inshAllah i shall start the preparations this week and will give an update ina week or so....

PS - thansk for being interested:)

Rabi'ya
01-01-2006, 12:47 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.

Ok heres my ideas so far....leme know what you think

Initally Im gonna explain why we celebrate Eid ul Adha

Tell the story of Prophet Ibrahim the Islamic way, and the Christian way. When I say this I mean showing quotes from both the Quraan and The Bible so that the girls dont think theres any difference in the Prophet Ibrahim that im talking about.

Im thinking to explain the relevance of Qurbani at this point and also the relevance of charity within Islam. Briefly touching on the pillars of Islam.(The girls actually were able to tell me the pillars of Islam when I first met them)

Then as a kinda fun, game - like activity im thinking of giving half the girls small bags of sweets(maybe quality streets or roses etc) when they arrive at the meeting. At the end of my explaination of charity ill tell the girls they can look in the bags. And baring in mind that not everyone has sweets. Its their choice whether to share the sweets or not with the other girls there. Im thinking maybe 4 sweets in each bag - that way they can keep two for themself and give two to the other girl who hasnt got sweets.

Can you guys let me know what you think? any additions or anything i shud leave out?Can you think of any other practical experience I could give them?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.