PDA

View Full Version : do you look like where your from???



sonz
12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
salama

did someone who couldnt figure where ur from ask u and later said WHAT!! thats impossible lol. or did u ask someone who u couldnt figure where they were from and u were amazed?? please share

masalama
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummbilal
12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm mixed race, you know we mixed race people get the best from both!! hehehe!!!

no really i'm moroccan and english but have been told i look syrian mashallah!!!!!
Reply

Zuko
12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
:sl:

Unfortunately I don't... Either I look like I'm Egyptian (usually people think I'm egyptian) or Turkish or Palestinian.... Its really very annoying... :(

:w:
Reply

afriend2
12-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brother, kind of a random question though im happy to give an answer .lol. :coolious:

im bangladeshi but almost everyone says i look like im arab.:confused:

but thats not really a question i ask myself to anyone as it doesnt really come into my mind.:sister:

ah well..wassalaam.:)
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
libyanhero
12-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I am not amazed really because I am one not many ppl if any can figure where I am from: I get Lebanese,Syrian,Palestinian,Canadian etc its kinda neat lol yet I am libyan but I don't look like the majority of Libyans either so I wouldnt be surprised because subhannallah there is people from some country whom don't look like there from that country.
Reply

Din-al-Islam
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
As-salâmu 'alaykum brothers and sisters :) ..

Im danish, 100% danish .. Im not proud, but al-hamdu lillâh ..

everyone thinks im a Turk .. I dont know why, thy all thinks I look like one :) .. Lol ..

When people ask me: "What are you", i say a Muslim :D , heh, and when i say im from Denmark, they all just look and say, "No way", someone thinks im look like a Arab or a Turk .. Dont know why .. :D

Ma3salâma ..
Reply

-SaNah-
12-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Salaam
I'm Pakistani but i've been told i look White....Hate it!!
Wasalaam
Reply

Din-al-Islam
12-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by -SaNah-
Salaam
I'm Pakistani but i've been told i look White....Hate it!!
Wasalaam
:sl:

Oh, sis im white, dont hate it :) .. Im just kidding :p
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
12-19-2005, 05:05 PM
It happens all the time:D I am use to it:-\
Reply

Nawal89
12-19-2005, 05:08 PM
l'm so mixed that i dont look like anything. I suppose i look more malaysian but then malaysians say i dont look malaysian. In the Bahamas they say i look chinese.
Reply

Rabi'ya
12-19-2005, 05:11 PM
imwhite....and ummm....most people think im white......except a few who say i look pathan!!

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:
Reply

- Qatada -
12-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (49:13)


...Allah is sufficient for you; He it is Who strengthened you with His help and with the believers (8:62)

And united their hearts; had you spent all that is in the earth, you could not have united their hearts, but Allah united them; surely He is Mighty, Wise. (8:63)


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
Reply

BlissfullyJaded
12-19-2005, 07:24 PM
:sl:

A few people have told me I look Arab and Afghan. :-\ (Not like thats a problem...but I just don't look that.)

And quite a few have told me I don't look desi at all. :-\ (Now that is a problem..)

But mostly people think I'm Arab, Afghan or Pakistani. (And I'm none..I'm Indian. :p)

Ooh..and once somebody thought Iranian.

I have no clue... :confused:
Reply

sapphire
12-19-2005, 07:54 PM
hmmmm....well im a mixture so i dont know exactly what i am...and i dnt know what people think i am either.....
Reply

sonz
12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Din-al-Islam
:sl:

Oh, sis im white, dont hate it :) .. Im just kidding :p
salama

i dont think she meant like that

she meant she hates that people think she is from somewhere else which is not i think
Reply

Snowflake
12-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Hey Nawal sis we got something in common :) most people think I'm chinese, malaysian, or from one of them tropical countries or spanish (ugh) I hated it when ppl thought I was chinese but thnx to all the pretty girls in the chinese movies I feel better now lool. But they are far too pretty :mad:

:coolalien <think thats me lol

oops, I'm actually 3/4 pakistani 1/4 burmese and 100% mad lol
Reply

Tasneem
12-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Im from the U.S.A
PPl.think me and my sisters are spanish(My cousins are)
My father said i look arab!
But im straight up black(And proud of it!)

SaLaMz:coolsis:
Reply

samina1
12-20-2005, 01:02 AM
ummm i dont really knw hw to explain wht iam.. but iam mix... most people think iam bengladeshian n others thing iam pure arab... but iam jsut half and half... alhumdoliha iam happy to be wht iam... all i knw is tht iam true muslimah inside... o i think u guys r waitin for wht iam right.. oh ya iam half arab and half paki but was born in capital of SOMALIA.. SO I speak all three languages.. umm n english and spanish afcrouse......
ma salam
kudahafiz
fiamaniallah...
Reply

Din-al-Islam
12-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by sonz
salama

i dont think she meant like that

she meant she hates that people think she is from somewhere else which is not i think
:sl:

Yeah i know, and I was just makin' some fun :) ..
Reply

Bittersteel
12-20-2005, 03:06 AM
I am from Bangladesh aka Bengalistan.Its in a dilema now,with JMB using violent methods to restore the Islamic law, and the secular Bangladeshis(majority) think Islamic law,saudi Arabia,Taliban ,Saddam Hussein and honour killings are same.They ain't different from Americans.They too are dumb***** with a very few exceptions who have studied the Islamic law like myself.
Reply

S_87
12-20-2005, 12:07 PM
:sl:

depends who sees me :-\ people have asked if im pakistani/indian/arab/spanish *blinks*
oh i forgot to add-i tell almost everyone im guji :coolious: yh wAk :mad:
Reply

h1jabi_sista
12-20-2005, 12:39 PM
as salam alikum,

mashallah, its so nice to see brothers and sister from all around the world.:)

im half irish and half pakistani. People think i look arab...:coolsis:

do u know something though? what does an arab look like? what do candians or spanish look like?


:peace: :sister:
Reply

-SaNah-
12-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Din-al-Islam
:sl:

Yeah i know, and I was just makin' some fun :) ..
Salaam
Yea i didn't mean it in a bad way!
I get White people starin at me and saying "ere look she's one of us but she's a convert!!" I'm thinkin 'nope i'm all Asian and i was born a Muslim!" Ah well
Wasalaam
Reply

Ra`eesah
12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Assalamu'Alaikum

After browsing through the thread, I had to delete a few posts. Please remember to remain on-topic. If you have any questions to a specific member, it can be asked through pm Inshaallah.
Reply

sapphire
12-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by zAk

bad is when some think i am a gujarati ! :anger:
i dont look like one :-[


Why do they say it then???^^^sounds a bit...!!!i dont know what...
anyway someone just said to me they thought i was a model from an indian movie and im like i wear niqaab...and another person thought i am spanish....hmmm wonder where that came from......
Reply

- Qatada -
12-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


PLEASE REMEMBER:

Its an Islamic Forum - and topics like these are proper high in fitnah (temptations) because brothers and sisters are describing how they physically look like.

Therefore its really important that you just stick to the topic, and to be honest - i think its even better that the topic gets closed because it wont benefit anyone in any way.


jazak Allaah khayr.


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
Reply

sapphire
12-20-2005, 07:45 PM
seriously i look like NOTHING of what people have said about me...i have avoided what i really look like for the reason bro Fi_Sabilillah has mentioned.....
Reply

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm pakistani living in UK and people think I look Pakistani aswell. At the end of the day it doesnt matter to me what colour or country I am from, all that matters to me is that I am Muslim. And my main concern is to portray myself as a Muslim rather try to show which country I am from.
Reply

Sis_ReNa
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
salam walakum,
being a convert i find this soo funny, they assume that i must be arab or from another contry since iam covered:sister: and me and my family must alhamduillah look soo inviting that they have to come up to us and ask. Where you from. and i say the city we live in, and they say no i mean what contry LOL .... i say usa... they look at me werid like i must not understand english. and they ask if we have come from another contry to live here. then i have to tell them no i am from the usa i converted to islam,
LOL
rena
Reply

*!~Faith~!*
12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


PLEASE REMEMBER:

Its an Islamic Forum - and topics like these are proper high in fitnah (temptations) because brothers and sisters are describing how they physically look like.

Therefore its really important that you just stick to the topic, and to be honest - i think its even better that the topic gets closed because it wont benefit anyone in any way.


jazak Allaah khayr.


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
I second that.
Reply

Tasneem
12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Ppl.think that my family is from a diffrent country because the way we dress
They say we look like we are from afganistan
Reply

niqaabii
12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
alot of ppl think im an arab..which i aint
afew ppl think i am a pakistani which i am:)
Reply

libyanhero
12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


PLEASE REMEMBER:

Its an Islamic Forum - and topics like these are proper high in fitnah (temptations) because brothers and sisters are describing how they physically look like.

Therefore its really important that you just stick to the topic, and to be honest - i think its even better that the topic gets closed because it wont benefit anyone in any way.


jazak Allaah khayr.


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Well I disagree that doesnt cause fitnah in anyway: I think a person shouldn't worry about his.her looks but whats on the inside and well the question was (Do you like where are you from or Do u look like where your from? its only asking about race and background not if my eyes are small or if my nose is large? So I disagree and people need to remove jealousy from thier hears because if they dont thier gonna end up judging and as Allah said we created you so u may know one another.....not praising your beauty or something and if really someone is gonna think he/she is ugly than that will take a toll on you heavely and will be destructice to your self esteem and if you care that much that u might end up like those bums(no success or nothing) the way for a person to feel good about himself is to worship sincerely and remove his/her envy of others

Allah gave us beauty also to test us and not make us envy one another
Reply

Sis_ReNa
12-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by libyanhero
Well I disagree that doesnt cause fitnah in anyway: I think a person shouldn't worry about his.her looks but whats on the inside and well the question was (Do you like where are you from or Do u look like where your from? its only asking about race and background not if my eyes are small or if my nose is large? So I disagree and people need to remove jealousy from thier hears because if they dont thier gonna end up judging and as Allah said we created you so u may know one another.....not praising your beauty or something and if really someone is gonna think he/she is ugly than that will take a toll on you heavely and will be destructice to your self esteem and if you care that much that u might end up like those bums(no success or nothing) the way for a person to feel good about himself is to worship sincerely and remove his/her envy of others

Allah gave us beauty also to test us and not make us envy one another
salam walakum,
agree i think.. (kinda sick LOL so iam slow)
I dont think looks or color or oragin matter at all. we are all creations form Allah . and are all equal . and will be judged the same way. so that is all that matters
Reply

ummbilal
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by samina1
ummm i dont really knw hw to explain wht iam.. but iam mix... most people think iam bengladeshian n others thing iam pure arab... but iam jsut half and half... alhumdoliha iam happy to be wht iam... all i knw is tht iam true muslimah inside... o i think u guys r waitin for wht iam right.. oh ya iam half arab and half paki but was born in capital of SOMALIA.. SO I speak all three languages.. umm n english and spanish afcrouse......
ma salam
kudahafiz
fiamaniallah...

Allhumdulilah cool mixture, sister!
Reply

ummbilal
12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=Fi_Sabilillah;131043]Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


PLEASE REMEMBER:

Its an Islamic Forum - and topics like these are proper high in fitnah (temptations) because brothers and sisters are describing how they physically look like.

Therefore its really important that you just stick to the topic, and to be honest - i think its even better that the topic gets closed because it wont benefit anyone in any way.


j

i dont think there is anything wrong with discussing the diversity of the ummah, we are white black, asian, chinese etc.. but all muslims and this thread is a little reminder to us that our brothers and sisters all over the world whatever race creed etc.. are praying to Allah just as we are, as long as people stay away from physically describing themselves(dont think anyone has)
then all is ok?
and Allahu alam
Reply

- Qatada -
12-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


yeh sure - describing where your from or your nationality is okay.


O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (49:13)


...Allah is sufficient for you; He it is Who strengthened you with His help and with the believers (8:62)

And united their hearts; had you spent all that is in the earth, you could not have united their hearts, but Allah united them; surely He is Mighty, Wise. (8:63)


i'm jus tryna say that we shouldn't start describing our physical features because that isn't approved of in islam.


it contradicts to what our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam said:

"No woman should describe another woman to her husband so that it is as if he is looking at her." It was recorded in the Two Sahihs from Ibn Mas`ud.)


therefore - it can be said that its not permissible about a woman describing herself, and in some situations - even men describing themselves to other non mahrams.



wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
Reply

Hisbul_Aziz
12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
  1. FEW PEOPLE THINK IM SOMALI CUZ I AM:w:
Reply

shanu
12-20-2005, 11:26 PM
i am indian :D
Proud to be in an indian.
Some tinks im malay :rant:
Or some mix.
But am real proud to be an indian :D
But whether we r indian chinese malay, arab, bhangladeshi, french, spanish or even alien race...we r all muslims ultimately n we must always be united :sister: :loving: :brother:
Salam
Reply

jzcasejz
12-21-2005, 09:29 AM
:sl:
No doubt about it, u'd definitely say i'm bengali.:brother:
Reply

sonz
12-21-2005, 10:22 AM
salam

masahalah our ummah has alot of diversities.

hey mod. its not describing physicial attributes only telling if u look like where ur from. i agree with ummbillal

i really like this verse from quran


And verily this Ummah of yours is One Ummah and I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore fear Me (and no other). (23:52)


masalama
Reply

Malaikah
12-21-2005, 11:54 AM
salam
Im an aussie with lebanese background.. ive gotten the weirdest reactions from people who thought i was italian, greek, turkish and even malaysian! lol its really funny actually.
Reply

hia
12-23-2005, 08:28 PM
i've been called, sudan, egyptian(aswani), saudi, tamil, simply asian, nigerian, jamaican. And once someone asked me what race i was before i replied they said MUSLIM loooooooooool, i cracked up for ages and told them thats my religion!. The common ones i get repeated constantly is sudan, egyptian, nigerian and recently jamaican.

and i'm somali, which is a shock to most people their reactions are unbelievable, although its sad not to look part of your nation (sniff sniff)
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!