/* */

PDA

View Full Version : About the Sun and the Earth Ayah 36:38 and 27:88

jello
12-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Salam Alaykum,

I would like to ask about the interpretations to two Ayahs of the Quran, Ayahs 36:38 and 27:88

And the sun runs his course for a period determined for him: that is the decree of (Him), the Exalted in Might, the All-Knowing. (Ayah 36:38)

Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed: but they shall pass away as the clouds pass away: (such is) the artistry of Allah, who disposes of all things in perfect order: for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (ayah 27:88)

I was just thinking about the ahadeeths that conncet the course of the sun with its bowing down on the Throne of Allah, and how this can be reconciled with what we know today about the movement of the planets. Also, I included Ayah 27:88 because some people are taking this to mean that the Quran does say that the Earth has a trajectory as well, but I wanted to know how many true Sunni scholars in total have taken such a view throughout history.

Thank you, and Salaam Alaykum.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
12-20-2005, 11:58 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by jello
I would like to ask about the interpretations to two Ayahs of the Quran, Ayahs 36:38 and 27:88

And the sun runs his course for a period determined for him: that is the decree of (Him), the Exalted in Might, the All-Knowing. (Ayah 36:38)

Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed: but they shall pass away as the clouds pass away: (such is) the artistry of Allah, who disposes of all things in perfect order: for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (ayah 27:88)

I was just thinking about the ahadeeths that conncet the course of the sun with its bowing down on the Throne of Allah, and how this can be reconciled with what we know today about the movement of the planets.
First of all, it should be very clear that your question does not relate to the Qur'anic verses themselves, but to the hadith about the sun prostrating under the throne of Allah. This hadith has been explained here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...des-rises.html

Also, I included Ayah 27:88 because some people are taking this to mean that the Quran does say that the Earth has a trajectory as well, but I wanted to know how many true Sunni scholars in total have taken such a view throughout history.
Such a view does not seem very obvious from the text so I would think very few scholars understood this verse to mean that.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.