/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Science- not the enemy

Malaikah
12-21-2005, 11:58 AM
salam
I've noticed a lot of muslims saying things like 'just becuase science said so doesnt mean its true', and just generally expressing negative views about sciece, as if it is not compatible with Islam. I think this addresses this rather well, though breifly:

http://islamtoday.com/show_sub_secti...1&sub_cat_id=0

One of the hallmarks of Islam is its complete harmony with scientific thought. A Muslim considers conflict between science and religion to be impossible. Religion comes from Allah and so does the Creation. It is impossible for one to contradict the other.

Islam teaches the Muslim to expect causes for everything in Creation. This is the way of Allah. Allah created everything we see around us. At the same time, everything we see around us also has a natural cause. Unless the Qur'ân and Sunnah explicitely state something to the contrary, a Muslim automatically assumes that everything in Creation has a natural explanation, from the formation of the stars and galaxies to the origin and diversity of different species. A Muslim never feels the need to rely on miracles to explain natural phenomena. A Muslim believes that miracles are instances where Allah contravenes his own natural laws for a specific reason, like to assist one of His prophets or to answer a prayer. Miraculous explanations should never be concocted by people in order to explain something in the natural world or to cover up for human ignorance on a scientific matter.

There has never been a scientific fact or a valid scientific theory that contradicted the teachings of Islam. Whatever science uncovers, it only increases our knowledge of Allah’s magnificent Creation. This is why Islam actively encourages scientific endeavor and why the Qur’ân commands us to study His signs in nature.

Islam also allows us to enjoy the fruits of human ingenuity. We are commanded to strive to better the world. Islam welcomes technological advances. Technology can be employed for both good and evil. Technology itself is neutral. It is our responsibility to use what Allah has blessed us to know for the betterment of humanity.

In the early days of Islam, when people adhered to its beliefs and practices, there was a flowering of science, culture and technology. The teachings of Islam brought about this scientific awareness. Only after people lost sight of their religious beliefs did the scientific achievements of the Muslim world cease and fall into obscurity.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mahdisoldier19
12-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Assalam alakam Sis

Not bad not bad nice post I dont know what to say in arabic to this but nice post

hia
12-23-2005, 08:15 PM
lol am i considered one of those people? nothing wrong with it really its just the parts of evolution and the other theories against islam. Its also how the subject is used. Its allright for us to turn around and say i hate salaman rushdi but utter nothing when it comes darwnism. Also the effect it as on many muslims can be somewhat damaging. If you have read my reply on the cousin marriages you'll see what i mean.

Ghazi
12-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Salaam

darwnism that's the biggiest joke ever, I can't take scientist after they come up with stuff like that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
12-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Salam

Actually, Darwinism is kind of a weird one becuase it is hard to say that it even meets the criteria for being a science. It really is nothing more than a theory that has not been proven. It is a controversal topic and not all scientist believe in it. Indeed, not all scientists have anything to do with it at all.

I just find that it is not fair to degrade all of the study of science becuase some people are strange enough to believe in Darwinism (and to believe in it is rather naive since it is only a theory that has not been proven). Science is a very broad area of study. It ranges from people studying the stars to people like doctors who are also scientists in a way. It should not, as the article above addresses, be treated as the 'enemy'.

farhat
12-30-2005, 01:56 AM
all ya need 2 knw..is allah is evryfin..4get science :-) hehe x

yoshiyahu
12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Good article.

kikkuli
12-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Bangladesh has the highest number of PhDs in science per 1000 people.

Malaikah
01-01-2006, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhat
all ya need 2 knw..is allah is evryfin..4get science :-) hehe x
:sl:

The only way you can forget science is by totally isolating yourself from the modern world. Even the computer you used to post that reply owes its existence to the study of science. The house you live in relies on physics to keep it from collapsing. Chemists would have had a say in the manufacture of the paint used on your walls.

Allah is self-suffiecent, but WE, as humans, are NOT. That is why we need knowlegde of the way Allah's world, His universe, works in order to survive here, and make our stay more comfortable. This knowlegde is offered by science.

afriend
01-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Well as I said so somewhere before:

"The Quraan is not a book of SCIENCE, But it is a book of SIGNS in which there are many scientific signs", Dr. Zakir Naik.....May Allah give him Jannah.

Ameen.

So from this u can see that the Quraan promotes science....But it opposes some unislamic [MAD]theories [/MAD] such as the Darwin theory!!!!

Hope that makes sense!

:)

afriend
01-01-2006, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

The only way you can forget science is by totally isolating yourself from the modern world. Even the computer you used to post that reply owes its existence to the study of science. The house you live in relies on physics to keep it from collapsing. Chemists would have had a say in the manufacture of the paint used on your walls.

Allah is self-suffiecent, but WE, as humans, are NOT. That is why we need knowlegde of the way Allah's world, His universe, works in order to survive here, and make our stay more comfortable. This knowlegde is offered by science.
Yes....Exactly!

Mashallah...May Allah bless ur knowledge!

Malaikah
01-18-2006, 10:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by fozley
Yes....Exactly!

Mashallah...May Allah bless ur knowledge!

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.