/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Clapping Permissible?

Rabi'ya
12-22-2005, 12:41 PM
:sl: brothers and sisters

The title pretty much says it all.....

Im looking for hadeeth to support your answersplease as I cant seem to find any surrounding the act of clapping....

JazakAllah khair

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sapphire
12-22-2005, 12:44 PM
i've been looking for proof for some time and am thiking of asking an imaam....people keep saying no clapping you are calling the shaytaan.....i thought that was only when whistling..maybe not...Inshallah some one can help.......

Protected_Diamond
12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakathu

Im sure clapping it's not allowed in Islam, i'll try and find a hadith for you sis :loving: I HEARD when you clap you're calling the shataan, not sure if that's true though

:w: warhmatulahi wabarakathu

sapphire
12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
yeah same i heard its not allowed.....i dnt clap anyway...i hate the act for some reason....and if i see anyone clap i cant stop my self from asing them to stop and realise after that i ahve told some one to stop clapping....but i only tell muslims......

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anthiok
12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Salaam my friends
I am sorry but I think much different than you do. I think we should change our points of view, which is one of the most harmful and dangerous things we can ever do to our religion. Instead of looking for 'what is permissible in Islam', we should look for 'what is 'absolutely impermissible in Islam'. Why are we looking for boundaries in our lives, if there were not a ban in Qur'an or a strong hadith? By doing so, do not we frighten people who thinks of converting Islam? If a Christian asks me here: "why clapping is forbidden?", should i tell him: "you call the satan by doing so". Do you think that makes sense? Do you think he would then consider Islam as the most 'logical' religion?
I am against irrational cliches such as:
"Clapping is forbidden in Islam"
"Watching TV is a sin"
"Do not use your left hand while eating, it is also a sin"
"Do not drink water on foot, just sit down wherever you are"
"Do not sleep lying on your back, not appropriate in Islam"
"Do not sit under a threshold, jinns will hit you"
......... and many more

My most beloved friends
As intellectual members of Islam, can we say that: "it is forbidden because i just heard that?"

All we should know that we must be extremely aware of the fact that if something is free in Islam and if we say that it is forbidden, we might be carrying a great burden in hereafter. When that habit continues for centuries, then we will be facing with almost a completely different belief than the original one. Who will be held responsible for that? Who wants to carry that burden? Isn't that too heavy?

Salaamun Aleykum to all of you again

Rabi'ya
12-22-2005, 03:40 PM
:sl: brother

In part, I agree with you, but once you are making an effort to apply all of the totally permissible things/impermissible things. Then surely it makes sense to widen your knowledge and look at the smaller things. these are not insignificant and all help to improve our imaan.

For example if someone if praying 5 times a day - that is what is required as a Muslim. but it is not the upper limit. It is purely the lower boundary. This person may then go on to regularly perform tahhajud or even offer extra nafl rakaat. Either way you can always improve and should never stop at anything.

True....for new Muslims and people interested in learning about Islam we should tell them the absolute necessities of Islam, but following that there are extra things which they should learn, should they chose to follow Islam.

Allahu Alim

- Qatada -
12-22-2005, 09:45 PM
wa 'alykum as-Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

it is mentioned in sahih bukhari that it is permissible for women to clap, and for men to say the 'takbeer.'

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam said:

"The saying 'subhan Allaah' is for men and clapping is for women." (If something happens in the prayer, the men can invite the attention of the Imam by saying "subhan Allaah". And women, by clapping their hands).

Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol.2. Book 22. Hadith 295.

wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Rabi'ya
12-22-2005, 09:50 PM
JazakAllah kheir brother

I spent ages trying to find some kinda hadith that mentioned clapping in any way shape or form....did you manage to find one about clapping in groups - like after a lecture or such...

Shadow
12-22-2005, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
wa 'alykum as-Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

it is mentioned in sahih bukhari that it is permissible for women to clap, and for men to say the 'takbeer.'

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam said:

"The saying 'subhan Allaah' is for men and clapping is for women." (If something happens in the prayer, the men can invite the attention of the Imam by saying "subhan Allaah". And women, by clapping their hands).

Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol.2. Book 22. Hadith 295.

:sl:
thanx for the hadith brother but does it say in any authentic hadith that clapping is haram?

Mawaddah
12-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Assalamu'alaikum
^ yes that was the daleel I was just about to supply masha'allah. And also I remember (this is not being given as a daleel mind you, but just a memory) whilst in Yemen, when studying with Sheikh Muqbil rahimahullah. The sisters would be in the sisters building and we would listen to the Sheikhs lesson thru a microphone. And Sometimes the Sheikh would call up a brother and ask him a question on the mic, and if that brother got it right the Sheikh would call out " Sisters!! give this brother a clapping!"
And I'm sure insha'allah that the sheikh would know the basics of halal and haram such as this :) just an example.

Brother Anthiok, I agree with you to a certain extent about the asking of small matters, it annoys me also extremely when people seem to love to ask about things in which there is nothign to do with Islam, the Prophet peace be upon him said "From what destroyed the Peoples before you, is the excessive questioning of the Prophets" because they used to ask this and that concerning religion, and then were not willing to apply it to their lives, and then after this they would be sinning, since once we are knowledgeable of a matter then we must act on it.
However there is nothing wrong of asking about something on which there is a daleel provided :) for example now, we see, there is a clear daleel provided saying that clapping is allowed for women.
But also, excessive questioning on matters that have nothing to do with deen should be kept away from, Remember in Islam "al-asl fisshai al-hil" the origins of everything is that it is halal, except for that which there is daleel......so, why make things difficult on our selves? however, if there is a matter in which we are doubtful of, then of course, ask, but not just for the sake of asking without reason.

Wassalamua'laikum :)

Ghazi
12-22-2005, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=anthiok;131954]
"Watching TV is a sin"

Dear brother, I somewhat understand where you're coming from but you need understand what your saying has a big impact, u mention the above three and more as "irrational cliches" let me ask you are you a scholar to make such claims. I've been taught to eat with my right hand, I've come to see T.V for what it really is an addictive drug and I can see why people might say it's a sin cause you can hear music instently see semi-naked women and all sort of haraam which might infulence people.

- Qatada -
12-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Narrated Sahl bin Sa'd As-Sa'idi:

Allah's Apostle went to establish peace among Bani 'Amr bin 'Auf. In the meantime the time of prayer was due and the Mu'adh-dhin went to Abu Bakr and said, "Will you lead the prayer, so that I may pronounce the Iqama?" Abu Bakr replied in the affirmative and led the prayer. Allah's Apostle came while the people were still praying and he entered the rows of the praying people till he stood in the (first row). The people clapped their hands. Abu Bakr never glanced sideways in his prayer but when the people continued clapping, Abu Bakr looked and saw Allah's Apostle. Allah's Apostle beckoned him to stay at his place. Abu Bakr raised his hands and thanked Allah for that order of Allah's Apostle and then he retreated till he reached the first row. Allah's Apostle went forward and led the prayer. When Allah's Apostle finished the prayer, he said, "O Abu Bakr! What prevented you from staying when I ordered you to do so?"

Abu Bakr replied, "How can Ibn Abi Quhafa (Abu Bakr) dare to lead the prayer in the presence of Allah's Apostle?" Then Allah's Apostle sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam said, "Why did you clap so much? If something happens to anyone during his prayer he should say Subhan Allah. If he says so he will be attended to, for clapping is for women."

(sahih bukhari - volume 11/1-654)

[a similar situation with a slightly different narration is in bukhari - volume 9/89-300)

therefore even in lectures, insha Allaah it is permissible for sisters to clap, and for the brothers to say takbeer, just like sister asilah said. the hadith also indicates that it is permissible for the women to clap, but for the right purpose - obviously not to gain attention for the wrong purpose etc. and intention is has a major impact on ones act; just as it has been mentioned in the following hadith:

"Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended. Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."

Just like brother islam-truth has said; regarding what bro anthiok said - it is not permissible for a person to eat with their right hand:

"Every person should eat with his right hand and hold his food with his right hand, because Shaytaan eats with his left hand, drinks with his left hand and holds his food with his left hand."

From Wahb ibn Kaisan who heard it from Umar ibn Abi Salama who said: I was in the custody of Allah's Messenger (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) and my hand used to go everywhere in the tray so he (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said to me: "Young man, mention Allah, eat with your right hand and eat from that which is closest to you."

Also, like brother islam - truth has said; its good not to watch tv because people are viewing semi-naked people and there are people of the opposite gender, where a person is supposed to lower their gaze.

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do.

nd tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.)...

[24:30]

Shadow
12-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Abu Bakr replied, "How can Ibn Abi Quhafa (Abu Bakr) dare to lead the prayer in the presence of Allah's Apostle?" Then Allah's Apostle sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam said, "Why did you clap so much? If something happens to anyone during his prayer he should say Subhan Allah. If he says so he will be attended to, for clapping is for women."

doesnt this clapping refer to clapping in prayer rather than clapping in general?

ive seen sheiks giving speeches and afterwards the people clap and the sheik doesnt go against it

:brother:

:peace:

Pk_#2
12-23-2005, 08:46 PM
salaamz,
yeah thats true and in islamic talks when someone is chosen to begin with a subject to talk about...we applause to show that the subject is a good one...no-one says anything to that also...but i have heard that clapping brings the devil closer to you...when infact you should have a closer relationship with Allah (swt) and not the devil ofcorse...

w/salaamz

TabTabiun
12-23-2005, 09:14 PM
As-Salaam Walikum-I Heard That It Was Better I NEVER Saw A Hadith That Support this statement.
MaSalaama

- Qatada -
12-23-2005, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
salaamz,
yeah thats true and in islamic talks when someone is chosen to begin with a subject to talk about...we applause to show that the subject is a good one...no-one says anything to that also...but i have heard that clapping brings the devil closer to you...when infact you should have a closer relationship with Allah (swt) and not the devil ofcorse...

w/salaamz

wa alykum as-Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

that might depend on your intention.. so if a woman claps her hands infront of non-mahram men, and them men turn towards her on purpose - then it is a way of attracting 'devils' because the men are turning towards the woman on purpose, and the woman is doing the act with a bad intention (to gain the mens attention.)

Tasneem
12-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I dont know if it Harram
But im always told not to do it
I have to find out why
Hmmm...im surprised i did'nt find out before because thats not like me
I usually do find out whats the purpose of me doing something before
Not doing it or doing it

SaLaMz

minaz
12-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Yeh i don't really find the need to clap - I just shout out me gob:p
Actually the only time i do clap is when watching or going to the football, C'MON YOU FOXES!

Brother_Mujahid
12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
islamqa says the following on the matter: ruling on clapping

some reasons i've heard for not clapping, is that it is the imitation of the kuffar and like is mentioned in the above link as muslims we should say Subhanallah and Allahu Akhbar. Another reason clapping is not seen as 'permissible' is that it can create pride within people and as muslims we should not have pride.

anthiok
12-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Salaamun Aleykum again my all beloved brothers and sisters,

First of all, I indeed want to thank you for all your tolerance for my kinda opposite ideas. However, what I really want is that we should find some ways to answer to this critical question : “Can we build our patterns for what is a sin or what is banned, without finding even a tiny reference to the Holy Qur’an and the comments from it?”

Let me clarify it by an example which our friends also talked about:

I see some of our friends say that watching TV is impermissible, because you can possibly face a semi-naked person or something like that. And dear Fi_Sabilillah tells us an ayat (sign) from Qur’an about this. I thank him for that.

But truly what I understand from words of Allah has got nothing to do with watching TV. If there would be such immoral and awkward scenes, you just skip the channel. It is up to you. I ask you my friend: If you do not watch TV, how will you be aware of what is going on around in the world? How will you see the murdered children and women by the US army? How can you realize the brutality in Palestine? How can you witness them with your own eyes? Banning watching TV is more like blowing up a building since there is a criminal inside. What about the other hundreds inside this building? Shouldn’t you just find that one particular person? Or suppose there can be a girl outside without hijab, wearing blouse or whatever and you can do nothing for that. Wouldn’t you ever go out to walk on the streets? If you see her, just change your way. What is wrong with that my friends? Do you have to be a scholar to comment on such issues?

Let’s take clapping. Clapping in mosques or while praying really seems so weird and lack of respect. And nobody but strange people may do so in our time. Can we say that it is a sin in such circumstances? Perhaps yes, if the person who does clapping willingly disrespects Allah and the pray. Because disrespect to our Lord is a sin, as Qur’an always tells us. But how can you generalize it to your whole life? Can you be one hundred percent sure of authenticity of a hadith that makes not even a tiny reference to Qur’an’s basic principles? And clapping is for women? So tell me my dear sisters and brothers in this forum: What criteria makes women different in clapping? Can you be 100 percent sure of authenticity of a hadith which had been collected at least two hundred years after our prophet Mohammed (S.A.V.)’s death, without it making any little resemblance to what is said in the holy Qur’an? How can we be sure my friends?

I myself really fear from wrath of Allah, when I say something is a sin if I am not sure about it, based on what I read from Qur’an. Don’t you think that just depending on hadiths that has no link with basic values of holy Qur’an and characterizing behaviors as a ‘sin’ (fisq) can be a heavy responsibility that we cannot bear? Or do we just say what our fathers say? Then what makes us wise? I wonder if I am alone in that subject

By the way the subject got deeper. Perhaps we might open a new thread

Thank you again my brothers and sisters

liongood9
12-24-2005, 06:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anthiok
Salaam my friends
I am sorry but I think much different than you do. I think we should change our points of view, which is one of the most harmful and dangerous things we can ever do to our religion. Instead of looking for 'what is permissible in Islam', we should look for 'what is 'absolutely impermissible in Islam'. Why are we looking for boundaries in our lives, if there were not a ban in Qur'an or a strong hadith? By doing so, do not we frighten people who thinks of converting Islam? If a Christian asks me here: "why clapping is forbidden?", should i tell him: "you call the satan by doing so". Do you think that makes sense? Do you think he would then consider Islam as the most 'logical' religion?
"Watching TV is a sin"
......... and many more

My most beloved friends
As intellectual members of Islam, can we say that: "it is forbidden because i just heard that?"

All we should know that we must be extremely aware of the fact that if something is free in Islam and if we say that it is forbidden, we might be carrying a great burden in hereafter. When that habit continues for centuries, then we will be facing with almost a completely different belief than the original one. Who will be held responsible for that? Who wants to carry that burden? Isn't that too heavy?

I suppose you know that eating with your left hand is forbidden because it is the hand in which you use to wash your private parts and that you do good things with your right hand.

Pk_#2
12-24-2005, 05:18 PM

wa alykum as-Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

that might depend on your intention.. so if a woman claps her hands infront of non-mahram men, and them men turn towards her on purpose - then it is a way of attracting 'devils' because the men are turning towards the woman on purpose, and the woman is doing the act with a bad intention (to gain the mens attention.)

Yeah that's true...

I don't think clapping attracts that much attention especially if everyones doing it at once...i can understand if one person at the back of the crowd was clapping...then there could be a problem...sorry about late reply by the way :)

When i go to college i see brothers and sisters trying to gain attention by screaming or speaking loudly unnecessarily...thats haraam...isn't it? because they're are trying to gain attention from the opposite sex.

w/salaamz

- Qatada -
12-24-2005, 05:47 PM
:wasalamex

yeah that is haraam sis, because their doing it for a sinful purpose.

this is a good site to read about the hijab (hijab - physically aswell as spiritually.)

http://www.muhajabah.com/surah-an-nur.htm

wa Allaahu a'lam.

Pk_#2
12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
salaamz,

Jazkhala'khairun mod..May Allah (swt) bless you

w/salaamz

Pk_#2
12-24-2005, 06:39 PM

That site was very beneficial..jazakhala'khairun...
I went on to read "What is the final rule on the Hijab"

and it stated:Those who argue that niqab is fard sometimes give the impression that Surah an-Nur ayah 31 definitely commands niqab and that this was the opinion of all the scholars. This is just not true. In fact (as shown in A Study of Surah an-Nur ayah 31), the majority opinion of the scholars on Surah an-Nur ayah 31 is that it allows the display of the face and hands.

&

There are four sahih hadiths all dated after the revelation of both Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 and Surah an-Nur ayah 31 that clearly show women in front of the Prophet (sAas) with unveiled faces and he allowed it. This must necessarily mean that Surah an-Nur ayah 31 is the final rule, since it is the ayah that allows display of the face and hands....

I always thought that covering you face is something you have to do...and not a choice...when my mum went hajj she still wore her niqaab but she wore a semi-cap to ensure the veil doesn't touch her face...

w/salaamz

- Qatada -
12-24-2005, 06:49 PM
:wasalamex

Lots of scholars differ on the idea of whether the niqab is compulsary (wajib) or mustahab (liked) or not.

The scholars have their own evidences, and therefore some may say it only applied to our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam's wives because they were the mothers of all the believers and they could never get married again after the passing away of our beloved Prophet Muhammad sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam, therefore it was only wajib for the wives of RasoolAllaah sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam.

Whereas some may say that it is wajib upon all the believing women.

You can also check this site out insha Allaah, and if you got any more questions - i think its better you start a new thread so it doesn't go off topic.

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/

jazak Allaah khayr.

sapphire
12-24-2005, 06:50 PM
there is debate between it being farz or wajib.....womens face is not counted as her satar.....yet many scholars say for this day and age it is necessary to wear niqaab..quite of topic here........

Pk_#2
12-24-2005, 06:52 PM
salaam,
Jazakhala for reply...

I will check out the link now inshaAllah :)

w/salaamz

Helena
01-04-2006, 09:32 AM

:sister: I've been attending many events but i have cum across muslims brothers and sisters engaged in clapping instead of saying allahu akbar(takbir 3tyms) as clapping is an act of saytan(am nt sure on that)!! Y do we follow non-muslims? or am i being judgemental?? aM JUST CURIOUS!! Alhamdulilah sum r improving!! But i've noticed brothers are shouting takbir, but sum sisters are screaming, whistling wen a nasheed artist appear!! y is dat? whats happening to our ummah??

Rabi'ya
01-04-2006, 01:27 PM
:sl: sister

Check out this thread regarding clapping

Z
01-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Salaam.

What's happening? We're becoming like them, making our Deen commercial.

Muezzin
01-04-2006, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

What's happening? We're becoming like them, making our Deen commercial.
Yes, because for every clap, Coca Cola makes five dollars. :p

Takumi
01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Salaamun Aleykum again my all beloved brothers and sisters,

Let’s take clapping. Clapping in mosques or while praying really seems so weird and lack of respect. And nobody but strange people may do so in our time. Can we say that it is a sin in such circumstances? Perhaps yes, if the person who does clapping willingly disrespects Allah and the pray. Because disrespect to our Lord is a sin, as Qur’an always tells us. But how can you generalize it to your whole life? Can you be one hundred percent sure of authenticity of a hadith that makes not even a tiny reference to Qur’an’s basic principles? And clapping is for women? So tell me my dear sisters and brothers in this forum: What criteria makes women different in clapping? Can you be 100 percentsure of authenticity of a hadith which had been collected at least two hundred years after our prophet Mohammed (S.A.V.)’s death, without it making any little resemblance to what is said in the holy Qur’an? How can we be sure my friends?
You can be sure by learning the sciences of Al Quran (yes, it is a science) and the sciences of hadeeth (Al 'Ilm al Mustalaahul Hadeeth).

Both subjects are too deep to even be discussed here.

The Quranic basic principles is to obey ALlah and His messenger.

Is there any logical explanation why Allah has ordered us to make wudhu' before we make solah? And why does Allah say those steps in order (your Arabic language skills should tell you that the letter "wow" in the verses that ordained wudhu' not only serve as a conjunction but it denotes that the steps are to be done in order). Shouldn't it be logical just to clean ourselves? or just take a shower?

What is the intention of clapping? that's the main issue. After we determine the intention, we need to look at the most sharee'atic method to carry out this intention and for us , that methods come from the Quran AND the hadeeth of the prophet.

Usually, we clap to praise the individual or an event. For a muslim, all praises are only due to Allah. So, rather than clapping, we should accustom ourselves to praising ALlah first then praise the person because his talent, skills or whatever good things that he did, would not have been achieved without the Mercy of Allah.

salman128
01-21-2006, 08:20 PM
dude I completely agree with you, I dont know why someone would go and look for a decree that forbids such a simple expression as clapping

Salaam my friends
"Watching TV is a sin"
......... and many more

My most beloved friends

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.