/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Giant mosque for 40,000 may be built at London Olympics

sonz
12-22-2005, 11:07 PM
A MASSIVE mosque that will hold 40,000 worshippers is being proposed beside the Olympic complex in London to be opened in time for the 2012 Games.

The project’s backers hope the mosque and its surrounding buildings would hold a total of 70,000 people, only 10,000 fewer than the Olympic stadium.
Its futuristic design features wind turbines instead of the traditional minarets, while a translucent latticed roof would replace the domes seen on most mosques. The complex is designed to become the “Muslim quarter” for the Games, acting as a hub for Islamic competitors and spectators.

“It will be something never seen before in this country. It is a mosque for the future as part of the British landscape,” said Abdul Khalique, a senior member of Tablighi Jamaat, a worldwide Islamic missionary group that is proposing the mosque as its new UK headquarters.

Tablighi Jamaat has come under scrutiny from western security agencies since 9/11. Two years ago, according to The New York Times, a senior FBI anti-terrorism official claimed it was a recruiting ground for Al-Qaeda. British police investigated a report that Mohammad Sidique Khan, leader of the July 7 London bombers, had attended its present headquarters in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. In August, Bavaria expelled three members of the organisation on the grounds that it promoted Islamic extremism.

Defenders of Tablighi Jamaat say that it is not political and confines itself to humanitarian work. It was founded in India under the British Raj and has many members in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

The east London complex would have by far the largest capacity of any religious building in Britain. The biggest at present is the Baitul Futuh in Morden, Surrey, which holds about 10,000 worshippers. Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral, the largest Christian place of worship, has a capacity of 3,000.

The new building will be called the London Markaz (Arabic for centre) and will be built in place of an existing mosque on a 10-acre site 500 yards from the Olympic development.

The three-storey mosque will be designed to accommodate more than 40,000 worshippers. Its sweeping roof is intended to evoke tented cities.
The complex would include a garden, school, library and accommodation for visiting worshippers.

Islamic calligraphy would cover the walls and ceilings, the washing areas would have cascading water to mimic a stream, and the complex’s buildings would be adapted to allow extra worshippers during festivals such as Eid, accommodating a further 30,000 visitors.

Ali Mangera, the London and Barcelona-based architect who is designing the mosque, said: “People in this country build mosques with fake domes and plastic minarets to look like the mosques back home. Islam has traditionally been at the forefront of technology and change. The Markaz will reflect this. It will be more than a mosque. The whole idea behind it is to break down barriers.”

Mangera has previously worked with leading British architects including Zaha Hadid, designer of the Cardiff opera house. Mangera and Tablighi Jamaat are in negotiations with Newham council, the Greater London Authority and the Thames Gateway Development Corporation for planning permission.

Sunil Sahadevan, a planning officer at Newham council, said: “We are working towards the mosque application with the organisers and discussions are ongoing. The application will be finalised over the next year.”

It is estimated that the project would cost more than £100m and donations are being sought from all over Britain.

Additional reporting: Tom Baird

Source: The Sunday Times

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Z
12-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Salaam.

Ha, I was going to post this too. Can't wait to see the end result.

sonz
12-22-2005, 11:11 PM
yeah me too

Z
12-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Salaam.

I don't like the idea of the Tableegh Jamaat people thinking of making it their new HQ.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
12-22-2005, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Salaam.

I don't like the idea of the Tableegh Jamaat people thinking of making it their new HQ.
:sl:

Same here, I think this isn't a good idea a mosque shouldn't belong to group even though other muslims will prey there if fell it shouldn't belong to a group or organisition it should be for all muslims

Syed Hussain
12-22-2005, 11:31 PM
ASW
if they make the mosque there is a chance for us muslims to show what we really are about and show what our faith teaches us without having the media displaying our teachings for us.
ASW

Ghazi
12-22-2005, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Syed Hussain
ASW
if they make the mosque there is a chance for us muslims to show what we really are about and show what our faith teaches us without having the media displaying our teachings for us.
ASW
:sl:

well thats the problem right their the media is displying islam to the kufur in the wrong way so making our lives harder

Eric H
12-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Greetings and peace sonz,

Faith centres that have two or three hundred members build a community because over time you can get to know most of the people there and you develop a neighbourly concern for them. You can become involved in smaller groups helping others and growing spiritually.

After the Olympics have come and gone you are left with a huge complex and I feel a bit uneasy about faith centres that are large and I wonder who benefits more?
How would you develop some kind of community spirit if you are one of 40,000 people, I would have the feeling of being overwhelmed and lost in such a place.
You might have to book an appointment a year in advance if you want to speak to the man at the top. I sense it might be more difficult to grow spiritually as an individual in such a large group.

There is the feeling that you have 40,000 people who could donate money and with that kind of donation comes temptations.

Take no notice I'm just rambling

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.