/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Cookery Club

Pages : [1] 2 3

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 12:48 PM
:sl:

Hey brothers and sisters. I had this idea of starting a cookery club where we can swap recipes. It'd be sooooooo good cuz we're all from different parts of the world and we can share some of our fav dishes here. I know students living away from home miss home-made food. So why not try to make it yourself?!

I'm gonna start off with a really delicious and easy recipe. Anyone can make it. Don't let it put you off just cuz you've never even boiled an egg ;D
I am only having to cook for myself these days, so it's all simple and quick to make food. That's when I had this idea. Brothers don't be put off by cooking. It's well worth the effort and if it makes you feel any better, just remember that the world's best chefs are men looooool :D

This recipe contains fishfingers. Don't let that put you off. wait till you taste it lol. My bro used to request me to make it for him when he was going out on day trips. So you can imagine it can't be as bad as the fishfingers make it sound.

Ok here goes...... (BTW, this is a snack, not a dish)

You will need: (for one person)
* 5 fish fingers
* half an onion thinly sliced
* 1 small tomato or half a large one finely chopped
* 3 table-spoons of cooking oil
* 1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder (or add to your taste)
* salt to taste
* pitta bread/bread/chapatti (heat last)
*frying pan (the best are the non-stick ones)

Method

* heat the oil in the pan and fry the fishfingers on one side and the onions on the other side.
* keep moving onions to prevent them from burning and when they turn brown, add the chopped tomatoes. Mix and allow to cook.
* check to see if fishfingers have browned and turn over.

Note: To check if fishfingers have cooked, break or lift the batter to see if fish is white. Raw fish will be a transparent colour. Cooked fish will be an opaque white.

* add the salt and chilli powder to the onion and tomotoes.
* once fish has cooked and tomatoes have melted. Using your spatula or blunt knife, cut each fishfinger into bite size pieces.
* Now mix everything in the pan together and cook for another min or two, on the lowest heat possible.
*while you wait, heat up the pitta bread, chapatti or whatever you will use.

Note: Do not heat bread.

*Allow the fishfinger filling to cool slightly cuz by now the smell will have made you hungry and you'll burn your mouth trying to eat it quickly lol.
Now just add the filling to your choice of bread and enjoy! :)

Some Tips

*If you like, you can put some salad in your bread or even add sweetcorn to the filling when cooking it.
* pitta bread can be warmed in a toaster.
* pitta bread is easier to handle when eating if cut in the middle to make two separate pockets, rather than the way they do it in take-aways.
We've all had our donners in pitta bread fall apart on us havent we? lol

I hope that looked easy. It really is ;) If any brave sis or bro attempts this, let me know how it went lol. I've never tasted arabian, somalian, turkish or food from any other country for that matter, so I can't wait to see some of your recipes. LOl, I'm feeling so hungry now.

happy cooking :)

Nadia

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mehnaz
12-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Salaam,

nice idea sis Nadia...but ummm dont expect too many recipes to be posted here....there've already been two threads for recipes but there hasnt been much response to them.....unless ofcourse we have some good cooks among our broz here....:)

W'salaam

ummbilal
12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Allhumdulilah a recipe thread, i love to cook so inshaallah i'll share something simple too.....

a fish recipe moroccan styleee!

ingrediants

3 or 4 fish fillets with bones & skin removed(they'll do it at the fish mongers/counter if u ask)
any firm fish will do, eg salmon, cod, haddock etc.., i usually raid the reduced section at tesco and mix them!
3 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander
1 clove of garlic chopped or garlic puree 1 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1teaspoon chilli powder(or to taste)
1 pinch of salt, not too much fish doesnt need it.
a little oil(olive is good)

chop the fish until its all minced up and mix in everything else, mix it with your hands and shape the mixture into smallish ovals, place on a greased tray and grill on medium heat for 5 mins then turn over gently with a couple of spoons,
you could put all the mixture into a food processor and pulse until mixed but not total mush.
also you could add a beaten egg to the mixture so it hold s together better but my son has egg allergy so i dont,

when the fish is cooked(again, opaque not transparent)

eat hot with salad and warm bread, yum yum

I made this recipie up a little and I love it so i hope people try it, I used to be wary of cooking fish and never tried it but now i love it Allhumdulilah.

let me know if u try it.

Umu 'Isa
12-23-2005, 01:07 PM
jazakAllah khair sis what a good idea. I will post some recipes soon inshaAllah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mehnaz
12-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Salaam,

JazakAllah sis ummbilal....i loveeeee arabic cuisine...and moroccan is just the ultimate !!!!!!.....

W'salaam

ummbilal
12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
erm...can i do another......

heres a soup recipe

ingrediants

1 butternut squash peeled and seeds removed and cut into cubes

1 onion chopped

1 teaspoon ground cinnimon

11/2 pints hot water or halal stock

oilive oil or butter
salt to taste

method

fry onion and butternut sq in oil or butter until onion is soft and transparent
not brown, add the stock or hot water and salt and cinnimon, simmer until the squash is tender(a fork goes in easy)
the leave for a few mins to cool before blending it with a hand blender until smooth, you can add 1/2 pint of single cream or milk to it at the end and heat through before serving, in bowls.

my fav soup!

inshaallah someone will try it out.

mehnaz
12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Salaam,

i was wondering if anyone cud give out a chocolate chip cookie recipe???...

JazakAllah!!!

W'salaam

ummbilal
12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mehnaz
Salaam,

JazakAllah sis ummbilal....i loveeeee arabic cuisine...and moroccan is just the ultimate !!!!!!.....

W'salaam
cool inshaallah you'll try some of the recipes i post, moroccans love to eat, bread, coscos and everything has coriander and cumin and chilli in!!

my dads moroccan nad taught me to cook lovely tagines etc.. but i thought i'd start with simple things first.

sapphire
12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
no recipies from the brothers side????????dnt move this thread to the sis section coz we already have one......this can be for both bro and sis.......jazakallah for the recipies.......

Sanobar
12-23-2005, 02:44 PM
salam!
kool i love the moroccon cuisine.........!!!!!!!!!!!jazakaAllah for the recipe sis ummbilal!
ma'salamah

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Tnx sisters who think this is a good idea :peace: I'm already dying out to try sis ummbilal's recipes yummmThey sound delishhhhh. Man my mouth is watering at the fish one :playing:

Note: Remember as this is especially aimed at students who are away from home. It would be helpful to include recipes for snacks (like I did) that are easy to make for them. :thumbs_up

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 04:39 PM
here's a choc chip cookie recipe mehnaz sis.....

THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE

2 cups butter
24 oz. chocolate chips
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 8oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
5 cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars.
Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts.

Roll into balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

Makes 112 cookies. Recipe may be halved.

Let us know how they turn out sis :playing:

Mawaddah
12-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Assalamu'alaikum
I think this is a great idea!! I adore cooking so I hope to be able to put up plenty recipes up here insha'allah :)
Here's a chocolate chip recipe that I frequently use, my dad claims they are 100's times better than store bought :D I dont care for chocolate myself, but hey, the rest of the family does, so I make it for them ;)

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups margarine or butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12-24 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips

6 dozen

25 minutes 15 mins prep

Heat oven to 375*F.
In large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla and eggs; blend well.
Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375*F for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.

* Note, if you prefer your cookies to have more of a crunch to them, then reduce the amount of cookie dough to 1/2 tbsp

Mawaddah
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's another recipe from me, it's a rice recipe that I recently discovered and I think it's pretty delicious masha'allah

Amazing Turkish "confetti" Rice Recipe

4 cups good quality jasmine rice
1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup small dried currants
1 yellow onion, chopped (Vidallia works best)
1 small eggplant, diced (or 1/2 of a large)
1 cup mushrooms, chopped (portabello work best)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5-6 sprigs fresh mint, chopped (do NOT sub for dried!)
5-6 sprigs fresh dill, chopped (do NOT sub for dried!)
salt and pepper

6-8 servings
35 minutes 15 mins prep

Make the rice (according to the directions on the package) in an extra-large pot.
While the rice is cooking, sautee' the yellow pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic, currants, sun-dried tomatoes and the olive oil until golden brown.
Be sure to use an extra-large skillet and meduim to medium-high heat.
When vegetables are finished, add them (along with the chopped fresh mint and dill) to the cooked rice and gently stir together until mixed evenly.
To give this dish an added"punch" of flavor, subsitute vegetable or chicken broth for water when making the rice.

Enjoy! :) I will be back with more recipes insha'allah
Wassalamu'alaikum

Mawaddah
12-23-2005, 05:10 PM
This is a recipe for Bisquick,Oh yes, it's a copycat and it works!!! Saves $ also.

Bisquick

4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup shortening

6 cups
5 minutes 5 mins prep

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the shortening and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until all shortening is blended with the flour.
Use the mix as you would the real thing.
Pancakes-Stir 2 cups of your bisquik with 1 cup milk and 2 eggs in a bowl until blended.
Waffles-Stir 2 cups of your bisquik with 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 egg and 2 T veg oil.
Biscuts-Preheat oven to 450* Stir 2 1/4 cups your bisquik with 2/3 cup milk.
Makes 9.

mehnaz
12-23-2005, 05:10 PM
JAZAKALLAH....sis nadia!!!!!

sapphire
12-23-2005, 07:31 PM
jazakallah i been looking for cookie recipies....must try themm........

Sahabiyaat
12-23-2005, 07:46 PM
excellent thread :)
but it would be much better if it were in the sisters section

i doubt any brother on this forum is capeable of knowing the correct method of making a piece of toast.

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimahimprovin
excellent thread :)
but it would be much better if it were in the sisters section

i doubt any brother on this forum is capeable of knowing the correct method of making a piece of toast.
Lollllllllllllll sis hahaha :nervous: we will have to give instructions on how to make it then. InshaAllah some bro somewhere will benefit from this thread.
Maybe we could include instructions on how to do dishes. Cuz after they cook our recipes they'll need to know how to wash up looool :D

Tnx all sisters. Loool no Muslimah sis, let the brothers learn to cook. One day their wives will be grateful for it ;D;D;D

The recipes sound great, lol I wish I could somehow make them all at once. This can't be good, its making me greedy looool.

sapphire
12-23-2005, 07:56 PM
llllllloooooooollll.......we already have one in the sis section.....this should be for both bro's and sis....lets seee how much the guys know....they can learn and maybe impress thier future wives.......

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 07:58 PM
JAZAKALLAH....sis nadia!!!!!
You're welcome sis, sis Asilahs cookie recipe sounds good too mashaAllah. At this rate I'm gonna get fat :'( :'( :'(

sapphire
12-23-2005, 07:59 PM
course your nott.......im dying to try thoese cookiessss.......

ummbilal
12-23-2005, 08:12 PM
everyone should learn how to cook its a life skill, my sons aged 10 and 5 can make a meal between them, eldest makes a pasta sauce from scratch( passata and onions with basil) and cooks pasta, 5 yr old makes the salad, ripping up washed lettuces and mixing lemon juice and honey to make a dressing,

my husband is also a great cook Allhumdulilah though he rarely cooks as he doesnt get the chance,

you'll find most men can cook just fine if u let them in the kitchen!

ummbilal
12-23-2005, 08:14 PM
student recipe

poor mans pizza

ingrediants

2 slices of bread toasted
spoonful of pasta sauce dolmio etc
cheese chunks

spread the toast with dolmio and top with cheese, grill until melted and brown..yum yum!!

add onions and sliced peppers if u like them

Salema
12-23-2005, 08:21 PM
wow..sis good idea..thnxs to all sis 4 shring the recipes..i will bring some panamanian recipes inshaallah..

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Ok here's another one. I got the idea for it from the Italian dish paella.

Buttery Prawn Rice

It's soooooo easy and quick to make an tastes so creamy and buttery :playing:

You will need:
* one large onion (finely chopped)
*ready to eat frozen prawns-as many as ur heart desires.
*1 cup rice (washed)
*1 small tin sweetcorn
*1/4 or more block of butter (you can use oil but won't taste the same)
* salt to taste

Method

Melt the butter in pan gently so it doesn't burn. Add onions and fry until golden brown. Add rice and stir for a min on gentle heat. Then add 3 cups of water and salt. Normally you add two cups of water per cup rice. But this tastes better if rice are soggier. Cook on low-medium heat until rice are nearly cooked. Add prawns and sweetcorn and cook for another 10 minutes.
Voila! There you have a fantastic dish ready in no time :) :peace:

ummbilal
12-23-2005, 09:28 PM
cool jazakallah khair for this one sis it sounds delicious, I may try it inshaallah.

try this, my husband loves it

bubble and squeek

4 boiled potatoes
cooked cabbage
onion chopped

fry the onion slice the potatoes and mix with the cabbage add a little seasoning(black pepper) and fry it all slowly with the onion until crispy, serve with scrambled eggs, english people make it to use up left over vegetables from a roast dinner.

Brother_Mujahid
12-23-2005, 09:38 PM
i remember back in school we used to have cooking lessons. one lesson i was with farhan and we had to make our own special scones which weren't plain. so the clever guys we were we came up with this fantastic idea to make pizza scones. so we both bought in different ingregients we wantd to add which you'd add to your pizza.

we ended up making one the best scones in the class, when i took some scones home for amee and everyone else to taste. it was so fantastic that my auntie who was down my house at the time had to come get the recipe the next day. How amazing is that.

allaaaaaaaaaahu akhbar

p.s they do say men are the best cooks

sapphire
12-23-2005, 09:41 PM
LOL!!!!!Mashallah....you can have reps for being the first brother to post.......seee sisters i knew the bros would post.......inshallah so will more bros post.....

Far7an
12-23-2005, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid

we ended up making one the best scones in the class, when i took some scones home for amee and everyone else to taste. it was so fantastic that my auntie who was down my house at the time had to come get the recipe the next day. How amazing is that.

allaaaaaaaaaahu akhbar

Oh defo smefo, you know that bruv. *sighs* Those were the days...

Ghazi
12-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Salaam

Pizza

Step 1: Pick Up phone
Step 2: Order
Step 3: Eat
Step 4: Left overs for breakfest

Silver Pearl
12-23-2005, 10:22 PM

I’m not going to disagree but let me put it this way, When I was in school, the best male chef put 2 tubs of water instead of 2 tea spoon on the flour while making his scones and the teacher had to sieve out the ingredient.

As for recipes, alright let’s try sauce to go with pasta, no I’m not talking about runny watery tomato rubbish we used to get served in the canteen.

Ingredient: Can of chopped tomato,
Garlic clove
Dash of salt/or a teaspoon of Maggie
Chopped Onion
Oil
Mince meet

Note: ground the garlic and blend the tomato till there are no chunky bits.

Method: (full heat) Place some oil on the saucepan and allow it to boil, then add the chopped onions (how you chop it is up to you). Let the onion turn slightly golden, not burnt, add on the mince meet. After a minute or 2 add on the grounded garlic and the whole can of tomato, mix the mixture (for several minutes). Turn the heat down (half way of the full heat) and let it simmer. Then add on a dash of salt or Maggie, which ever one you prefer and place a lid on. Every 5 minutes just mix and make sure the mince meat is separated properly within the sauce. Keep on the heat for about 25 minutes, switch off and serve with pasta (but if you feel it is ready before that you may switch off and serve it).

:w: warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Brother_Mujahid
12-23-2005, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

Oh defo smefo, you know that bruv. *sighs* Those were the days...
yes they were fo sho homie

left overs for lunch is better

Ghazi
12-23-2005, 10:34 PM
yes they were fo sho homie

left overs for lunch is better
Salaam

I might just do that bro, I'm allways being told to recycle

S_87
12-23-2005, 10:40 PM

:zip: sure :blind:

anyone know how to make an easy cheesecake
tell me plz :)

Silver Pearl
12-23-2005, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

:zip: sure :blind:

anyone know how to make an easy cheesecake
tell me plz :)

:w:

Alright if I remember correctly this is what you do.

Base: Get biscuits, plain biscuits and then crumble them with your hands in a bowl. Melt some margarine and add the margarine to the biscuit until the biscuit is able to stick together. Empty the bowl of crumbled biscuit and margarine onto a glass pan and spread it out as a base leaving room for the topping.

Topping: Wisk the double cream till it becomes hard then Get soft cheese (philadephia or something) and blend them together. Add sugar to the mixture and a tad bit of lemon juice (if you want other topping then you don’t need its juice). Blend all the ingredients together. You then take the mixture and spread it on the pan on top of the base. If you are doing lemon cheesecake add some lemon skin on top of the topping. If you want strawberry cheesecake add some sliced strawberry on top of the topping etc. Place it in the freeze until it becomes hard, get it out and serve.

Brother_Mujahid
12-23-2005, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl

Alright if I remember correctly this is what you do.

Base: Get biscuits, plain biscuits and then crumble them with your hands in a bowl. Melt some margarine and add the margarine to the biscuit until the biscuit is able to stick together. Empty the bowl of crumbled biscuit and margarine onto a glass pan and spread it out as a base leaving room for the topping.

Topping: Wisk the double cream till it becomes hard then Get soft cheese (philadephia or something) and blend them together. Add sugar to the mixture and a tad bit of lemon juice (if you want other topping then you don’t need its juice). Blend all the ingredients together. You then take the mixture and spread it on the pan on top of the base. If you are doing lemon cheesecake add some lemon skin on top of the topping. If you want strawberry cheesecake add some sliced strawberry on top of the topping etc. Place it in the freeze until it becomes hard, get it out and serve.
you missed the beggining and the end........

the beggining: you wash your hands, and say bismillah before you begin making your yummy delicious cheesecake

the end: you say bismillah before tucking into your your fantastic yummy delicious cheesecake

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Pizza

loooooool bro tut tut :eek:

UmmKhadi
12-23-2005, 11:09 PM
My dad is the best chef ever :D

Well, i can come with some Norwegian recepies, but now its midnight, i will do it tomorrow inshaAllah.

Snowflake
12-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Awww Umm sis I loved it when you said your sons help you out in the kitchen. That's so cute mashaAllah and they will be grateful to you for teaching them when they're older. My son begs to help me in the kitchen so I let him peel potatoes and garlic for me and he loves cracking eggs lol. One day he was annoying me so much so I said that's it, mummy is on a strike and won't be cooking dinner. Loooooool, the next thing I know he went downstairs, put some pasta in a bowl, flung it into the microwave and just walked back with like he'd been doing it since birth ;D hahahaha he told me that he can get his own food loooooooool :embarrass

But your recipes are torturing me lol. Earlier when I was reading this thread I got so hungry that I had to go and make something to eat lol.

Lool Sapphire sis was right abt the broz, but looks like they are happy with left-over pizza :p

Brother_Mujahid
12-23-2005, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nadia Waheed

Lool Sapphire sis was right abt the broz, but looks like they are happy with left-over pizza :p
Never! nothing better than some tazi home made roti or chawal with whatever handi that is cooked. As they say mothers cooking is the best.

isn't it amazing how mothers put up with spoilt choosey, pickey kids who don't eat whatevers made at home because they don't like whats cooked.

Muhammad
12-23-2005, 11:52 PM

This thread also contains some recipes and useful websites giving out good recipes: http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghlight=recipe

Hmmm, we don't have many different cultural foods yet... it would be interesting to see more of a diversity and unique foods.

Btw, I'm sure some brothers can contribute, since there are some admirable ones here who can actually make chapattis!

Snowflake
12-24-2005, 12:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

This thread also contains some recipes and useful websites giving out good recipes: http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghlight=recipe

Hmmm, we don't have many different cultural foods yet... it would be interesting to see more of a diversity and unique foods.

Btw, I'm sure some brothers can contribute, since there are some admirable ones here who can actually make chapattis!

Wow bro, we'll def be posting some advanced cooking recipes soon, just warming up for now inshaAllah 'throwing the bait' so to speak lol. Any bro who can make chappatis wins my admiration big time. Some sisters will be posting some of their cultural dishes and I'll be posting a recipe for biriani & nihari soon :playing:

:peace:

sapphire
12-24-2005, 01:01 PM
ROLF!!!!!!!!!seeeee i knewwwww they would post....inshallah i will post some dishes soon...i just have to foigure out what culture they are from seeing as im a mixture of three......

Silver Pearl
12-24-2005, 01:30 PM
:w: Warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Brother Zak, doing some great copy and pasting there lol, Mashallah, Thank you for sharing….might actually try them….

My sister makes the best Tiramisu ever and it is alcohol free so inshallah will get ingredients and the method off her. It is Italian desert, so akh Muhammad, abit cultural there?

Brother Mujahid-lol, Na’am I forgot that, shukran.

Silver Pearl
12-24-2005, 01:47 PM

Erm how to describe it, well it is sort of a desert and it has a layer of cake at the bottom and then cream on top and then another layer of the soft biscuit cake and some more cream and coffee sprinkled on top….if that makes sense.

mehnaz
12-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Salaam,

lol....u were right sis sapphire...the bros are actually posting...and the onez who dont know how to cook are "copying and pasting"....lool....:giggling:...

anyways...herez one of my fave dishes...and am good at indian cuisine so anyone want some specific one lemme know....

BUTTER CHICKEN:

ingredients..

1 kg boneless chicken(cut into small pieces)
butter abt 2 tbsps
cinnamon sticks...abt 1 and a 1/2
onion chopped...abt 1/2 a cup
red chilli powder abt 1 1/2 tsp
salt abt 1 tsp(or to taste)
almonds-a handful
cashews-a handful
tomatoes-6 to 7
coriander powder-1 1/2 tsp
orange red food colour- 1/2 a tsp
ginger garlic paste-2 tsps

ok now lets get started......

mix the ginger garlic paste and the food colour in the chicken and keep aside for abt 10 minutes...

take the butter in a pan (pressure cooker will make the process faster).....add the cinnamon sticks and the chopped onions to it and fry till light golden brown....now add the chicken to it and saute for a minute or so...now puree the tomatoes and add to the chicken....add the salt,chilli pwdr,and the coriander powder and mix well...close the lid and let it cook for abt 15 minutes (if in a pressure cooker till u get 2 whistles)....meanwhile grind the cashews and almonds to a fine paste...add this paste to the chicken and cook till the chiken is tender....serve hot with a tablespoon of butter on top...tastes best with chapatis..!!

hope u guys like it....:)

W'salaam

UmmKhadi
12-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Here is some Norwegian food:

NORWEGIAN MEATBALLS / Makes about 120 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.

5 pounds ground meat ( beef, veal, ground three times)
2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 T. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup cracker meal or matzo meal
4-5 beef bouillon cubes or 4-5 tsp. instant beef bouillon
2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Flour

Heat over to 350 degrees. Combine all meatball ingredients, knead by hand 5 minutes or more to blend spices into meat. Lightly grease or coat shallow baking pans with no-stick cooking spray. Form small round meat balls; dipping hands into cold water to shape smooth. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Place meatballs in large kettle; add bouillon cubes, meat drippings from baking pan and water to cover. Stir in Kitchen Bouquet. heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Remove meatballs. Thicken gravy with flour to desired consistency.

Its nice served with boiled potatoes, and mashed carots...

UmmKhadi
12-24-2005, 01:59 PM
ROMMEGROT (SOUR CREAM PORRIDGE) / Serves 6

4 dl (1 2/3 cups) 35 percent fat sour cream
about 3 dl (1 1/4 cups) flour
about 1 1/4 liters (5 cups) full fat milk
3/4 teaspoon salt

Sour cream porridge with dried meats was festive food in the olden days and is still considered that today.

Sour cream porridge must be made from high fat (35%) natural sour cream, with no stabilizers or gelatin added. For the best results, use homemade sour cream. Heat 2 1/2 dl (1 cup) whipping cream to 35 C (95 F), almost body temperature, then whisk in 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Let stand at room temperature at least 8 hours, until thickened.

Simmer sour cream, covered, about 15 minutes.

Sift over 1/3 of the flour. Simmer until the butterfat begins to leach out. Skim off the fat.

Sift over the remaining flour and bring to a boil. Bring the milk to a boil and thin the porridge to desired consistency. Whisk until smooth. Simmer about 10 minutes, and season with salt. Serve with the fat, sugar and cinnamon. Instead of the milk-fat on, its also nice with just a small piece of butter.

UmmKhadi
12-24-2005, 02:01 PM
FISH AU GRATIN / Serves 4

2 T. margarine
3 1/2 T. flour
2 dl (3/4 cup) full fat milk
salt
freshly ground white pepper
ground nutmeg
5 dl (2 cups) flaked cooked fish
2 eggs
1 1/2 dl (2/3 cup) breadcrumbs
1 T. butter

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.

Melt the margarine and add the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil, whisking until thick. Stir in the fish. Beat the egg and stir into the mixture.

Grease a 1 liter (quart) ovenproof dish and sprinkle bottom and sides with breadcrumbs. Pour the fish mixture into the prepared dish. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot with butter. Place a cloth towel in the bottom on an oven tray. Place the dish on the towel (to keep it from moving). Add water to reach halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake 25 minutes.

Serve with melted butter with chopped hard-cooked egg and coleslaw. And ofcourse, like any other food, with boiled potatoes.

UmmKhadi
12-24-2005, 02:05 PM
And one more, if you are going to make meatballs, you need this:

CREAMED PEAS (Grønn ertestuing)

2 cups (5 dl) dried peas
1 quart (liter) water
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
2 tsp. salt or more
1 tsp. sugar

It is amazing how inexpensive, traditional, good food can be. I remember these creamed peas served with mama's delectable meatballs (they taste good with any meat), or when we ate lutefisk. The dried peas only cost pennies a pound. If unavailable at your food market, check out your Scandinavian delicatessen or natural food stores.

Rinse the peas well and pick out any foreign objects. Place in water to soak overnight in a cool place. Let them simmer in the water they were soaked in, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Mix the flour with the butter and add to the peas and let simmer about 10 minutes longer. Add salt and sugar to taste. If you wish you may add a peeled or diced carrot to the peas during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. No sugar is needed if you add a carrot.

Snowflake
12-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Wowwwwwww so many interesting recipes here. I'm lost as to which one to try first. But I think it'll be sis Umm's fish one first.

Looool, one sis said something about Zak copying and pasting hehehehe well, when I saw Zak's recipe I was like hmmmm I wonder if he can actually make this :D Still grt recipes bro, but I cheat in mine lol. I just buy the ready-mixed masala for nihari and biriani and follow instructions. So much easier.

The best ready-mixed masala is made by Lazeezah and is available in all desi supermarkets. I'll soon post the lazy persons version of making both dishes lol

Sanobar
12-24-2005, 02:31 PM
salam!
jazakAllah for the recipes...! i love the one mehnaz posted! ummmm :):)
ma'slamah

Sanobar
12-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I just buy the ready-mixed masala for nihari and biriani and follow instructions. Lol, so much easier.

so do we sis! i dont make it but my mum does and she also uses the ready made masala ! :eek:

sapphire
12-24-2005, 02:42 PM
yeah some times so does my mum.........but her nihari from scratch is just to die for.........its sooooo niceeeee!!!!!

Muhammad
12-24-2005, 02:55 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
achaa ? :omg: whooooo ?
Does the thread 'Roti' ring any bells? Unfortunately, now that I checked it up, only two voted 'yes' and they are hardly to be seen these days :(.

mehnaz
12-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Salaam,

whoaaaa sis UmmKhadi...u seem to be on a recipe higghhh...:lol:....;)...JazakAllah khair for posting!!!

W'salaam

S_87
12-24-2005, 03:05 PM

JazakAllah Silver pearl :D that sounds easy enough

and thanks for all these recipes :thumbs_up

and omg brothers can make rotis? :omg: thats the hardest thing in the cooking world :enough!:

mehnaz
12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Salaam,

naahhh sis amani rotis jus need some practise....i used to find em hard to make too....but once u get a hang of it...its easy peasy...

W'salaam

S_87
12-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Copy pasting ?

something is better than nothing i think ;)

the best way to make a round roti[which usually gets the shape of australia :brother:] is.....place a round plate on it...

omg that makes a totally unsuccessful roti because then it dont puff up.

naahhh sis amani rotis jus need some practise....i used to find em hard to make too....but once u get a hang of it...its easy peasy...
lol come do mine for me :p

ok ill share my fav recipe because its like v easy and convenient :lol:

one chicken breast. cook that with water .only adding salt and black pepper.

when the water burns off let the meat cool

ok in the food processor process some

-grated cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it but a handful of cheese is about a good amount)

- a tbs of mayonnaise

-about two drops of milk

-pinch of salt

-drop of lemon juice

-some hot sauce

-few slices of onion

-a nit of mustard pickle

-and a bit of sweet pepper.

blend that.

add in chicken and blend though not too much. other wise it will turn pasty and its better creamy.
if you want it creamer just add in more mayo

leave in fridge .and put on sandwiches/crackers/ you get the picture.
woohoo cold chicken :p

** o and im not useless at making rotis sisters but that dont make them any easier :p

sapphire
12-24-2005, 04:09 PM
oh i used to do the plate thingy!!!!!but then...it never worked well....but roti are real easy!!!!if they start comming square then roll in the middle...and it will go round inshallah!!!!

Nawal89
12-24-2005, 05:10 PM
My rotis are africa shaped. No matter how i try i can never get them round. They taste good though :D

UmmKhadi
12-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Salaam,

whoaaaa sis UmmKhadi...u seem to be on a recipe higghhh...:lol:....;)...JazakAllah khair for posting!!!

W'salaam
Hehe. I just wanted to share some of my countrys cooking with you all... Its maybe exotic to a lot of you hehe.

ummbilal
12-24-2005, 11:08 PM
ooohhh scandinavian meatballs, yummy!!

i'm awful at making roti, i watch my pakistani friends make it like its second nature and them i end up with a limp of burnt rectangle shapped dough!!!

ummbilal
12-24-2005, 11:12 PM
[Q
1/2 cup half & half, whats this???
and whats kitchen bouquet flour?

i'm in the uk, can i get this stuff here, anyone know??

I'd really love to make these meat balls inshaallah

ummhabibah
12-24-2005, 11:18 PM
what is a roti?
any explain plz

Sanobar
12-25-2005, 02:04 AM
salam!

count me in too guyz i cant make good rotis aswell! tho i can make round ones.....but they dont puff up at all! :phew:i find rice better than rotis......:) :)no waste of time...!

ma'salamaah

Sanobar
12-25-2005, 02:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummhabibah
what is a roti?
any explain plz
sis this is wat chapptis are!!!!!!!!!!

chapttis are pancake-like breads , native to India, and are usually made from a simple mixture of whole-wheat flour and water. However, for a different texture, chapatis can be made with chickpea or corn flour. The dough is rolled into thin rounds and baked on a griddle, usually without oil, to form small cakes. Pieces of chapati are torn off and used as a scoop or pusher for many Indian dishes.:coolious: :coolious: :coolious:

mehnaz
12-25-2005, 03:19 AM
the best way to make a round roti[which usually gets the shape of australia :brother:] is.....place a round plate on it..cut the revealing part...n....done :thumbs_up :p
Loooolll....bro if we start making rotis like that....it'll take two days for u to get ur nashta...Looll...

ummbilal
12-25-2005, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummbilal
[Q
1/2 cup half & half, whats this???
and whats kitchen bouquet flour?

i'm in the uk, can i get this stuff here, anyone know??

I'd really love to make these meat balls inshaallah
can someone answer this please

Mawaddah
12-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Assalamu'alaikum
Sis half-and-half is
A mixture of half milk and half cream,it has 10-12% milkfat and cannot be whipped.
Substitutions: Equal parts milk and cream

I'm sorry sis, I can't tell you what the kitchen bouquet flour is :(

Mawaddah
12-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Oookay, I have a recipe for cheese cake over here which my family loooooooves, it's without crust though ;)

Family Cheesecake

4 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup unsalted butter softened
2 cups heavy cream
6 eggs

Heat oven to 350F . Coat a 10 inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, or just grease with butter. Wrap ou tside of pan with foil (not really necessary, I always skip this part lol )
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth and light. Add sugar, then corsnstarch, butter , cream and eggs BEATING WELL after each addition. Pour into prepared pan. Place pan in a pan filled with 1" water.
Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cook.
Once cheesecake has cooled (about three hours) loosen the sides of pan , cover, and put in refrigerator

This tastes yummyier if left over night ;)

Mawaddah
12-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I have one here for an Arab Saudi dish which is called Kabsah....mmm..the ingredient amounts are more or less this amount because usually I never measure things whilst cooking :D However you people might want to halve this recipe because I make it to feed 7, thus the large amounts ;)

Kabsah

5 large onions sliced
8 pieces garlic
10 cups rice
14 cardamoms
3 to 4 inches cinnamon stick
14 cloves
1 teasp whole black pepper seeds
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 teasp turmeric powder
2 dried limes
1 dozen tomatoes
1- 1 1/2 can tomato paste (small)
2 chickens, cut as how you like

Fry onions and garlic in oil until golden brown, Add in all the spices and fry a further 5 mins until fragrant,Then add in tomatoes and tomato paste, fry until tomatoes are soft and mushy Add in chicken and let cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add in rice (which has been soaked beforehand in water and 1 tsp turmeric ) and enough water to cook rice and salt to taste. Cover pot and let cook until rice is done whist stirring once in a while so the rice at the bottom doesn't burn. Serve with tomato salsa, salad, and yoghurt. Say Bismillah and dig in!!

Mawaddah
12-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Oops, I think I'm posting a bit too many recipes one after another:phew but I'm really a cooking freak so i hope you guys dont think I'm hogging up the thread :D

Ok this is a recipe for a common Malaysian/Indonesian dish

Ayam Panggang Gahru

1 chicken, cleaned, use whole or cut into 4 pieces
2 cups coconut milk
4 tbsp grated coconut, roasted over low heat till golden brown, then pound into a paste
1 fragrant lime leaf
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
2 small limes, juice extracted
6 tbsp cooking oil

Grind into a fine paste
6 fresh chillies (deseed if you like a milder flavor)
12 dried chillies (deseed for milder flavor and soak to soften)
4 candlenuts
5 shallots
1 small piece ginger.....about almond size

Rub roasted, ground coconut into the chicken evenly, then rub in coriander and cumin powder, ground ingredients and salt. Add lime leaf and lemon grass.
Heat oil in a deep pot then put in the chicken with all spices and fry until fragrant. Add coconut milk and simmer on low heat ( this is to avoid the curdling of the milk). When gravy is fairly thick, remove chicken from heat, put in a tray and grill in oven for 15-20 mins. Remove from Tray and sprinkle with lime juice, It has it's accompaniments I'll post them :)

Mawaddah
12-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Potato Cutlets

2 large potatoes - peel and cut into thick slices
5-6 shallots -slice thinly
2 spring onions- chop finely
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste
1 egg- beat lightly
oil for deep frying

Heat oil in frying pan and fry potatoes until golden brown, put in a bowl. Fry shallots till brown and add to the potatoes. While potatoes are still warm, add pepper spring onions, and salt and mash till smooth. Shape into small ovals or rounds and coat with beaten egg. Deep fry till golden brown.

Serundeng (Spiced Grated Coconut)

1 cup grated coconut (fresh with skin)
1/2 teacup tamarind juice
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 fragrant lime leaves (daun limau perut)
1 tbsp meat curry powder

Grind to a smoothe paste
3-4 shallots
1 stalk lemon grass
1 small piece lengkuas (1 cm or 1/2 inch thick)
1 small clove garlic

Put the grated coconut in a shallow saucepan and add ground ingredients, curry powder, tamarind juice, sugar, lime leaves and salt. Mix well and cook over low heat, turning the contents over from time to time to prevent burning until dry and crumbly

^^ These two dishes are usually served with the Ayam Panggang along with fragrant white rice

Mawaddah
12-25-2005, 12:25 PM
This is an Indian Dish that I especially like

Mutton Chops with Gravy

600g mutton or lab chops (about 8 chops)

Grind to a fine paste :
6 green chillies
4 red chillies
3 slices ginger (each 1 cm thick)
5 cloves garlic

2 tbsp plain yoghurt or juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 onions - chop
4 tomatoes - chop
6 stalks big coriander leaves - chop
salt to taste

Ingredients for frying:
1 small onion - slice thinly
4 cardamoms
5 cloves
1 stick cinnamon (2 in long)

10 tbsp oil
3 - 4 cups water

In a large bowl, combine chops with all the above ingrdients except ingrdients for frying, oil and water. Heat oil, add ingrdients for frying. When fragrant, add mutton and fry till fragrant then add water. Cover and boil, removing cover and stirring from time to time. Continue cooking till mutton is tender and the gravy is very thick.

UmmKhadi
12-25-2005, 12:25 PM
From what I can see from the recipie, kitchen bouquet or what it was, is that powder you add to make sauce heavy... Like here, we use potato-flour, or sometimes something from a bag, specially made for meatball-sauce, Maizena brown version...

I dont know what people call things in other countries hehe, I am clueless.

Snowflake
12-25-2005, 11:40 PM
can someone answer this please

Oh Ummsis, sowee I just seen ur post. Kitchen Bouquet is: BROWNING AND SEASONING SAUCE. BRINGS OUT THE JUICY FLAVOR OF MEATS GRAVYS AND STEWS. FOUR OUNCE SIZE LARGE ONLY AVAILABLE

It's available in a bottle and Kitchen Bouquet is it's actual name.

Hehehe checked that on the net :p

Umm Yoosuf
12-26-2005, 12:29 AM

Ok here goes...... (BTW, this is a snack, not a dish)

You will need: (for one person)
* 5 fish fingers
* half an onion thinly sliced
* 1 small tomato or half a large one finely chopped
* 3 table-spoons of cooking oil
* 1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder (or add to your taste)
* salt to taste
* pitta bread/bread/chapatti (heat last)
*frying pan (the best are the non-stick ones)

Method

* heat the oil in the pan and fry the fishfingers on one side and the onions on the other side.
* keep moving onions to prevent them from burning and when they turn brown, add the chopped tomatoes. Mix and allow to cook.
* check to see if fishfingers have browned and turn over.

Note: To check if fishfingers have cooked, break or lift the batter to see if fish is white. Raw fish will be a transparent colour. Cooked fish will be an opaque white.

* add the salt and chilli powder to the onion and tomotoes.
* once fish has cooked and tomatoes have melted. Using your spatula or blunt knife, cut each fishfinger into bite size pieces.
* Now mix everything in the pan together and cook for another min or two, on the lowest heat possible.
*while you wait, heat up the pitta bread, chapatti or whatever you will use.

Note: Do not heat bread.

*Allow the fishfinger filling to cool slightly cuz by now the smell will have made you hungry and you'll burn your mouth trying to eat it quickly lol.
Now just add the filling to your choice of bread and enjoy! :)

Some Tips

*If you like, you can put some salad in your bread or even add sweetcorn to the filling when cooking it.
* pitta bread can be warmed in a toaster.
* pitta bread is easier to handle when eating if cut in the middle to make two separate pockets, rather than the way they do it in take-aways.
We've all had our donners in pitta bread fall apart on us havent we? lol

I hope that looked easy. It really is ;) If any brave sis or bro attempts this, let me know how it went lol. I've never tasted arabian, somalian, turkish or food from any other country for that matter, so I can't wait to see some of your recipes. LOl, I'm feeling so hungry now.

happy cooking :)

Nadia

Masha Allah:coolsis:

I just made that, in fact i am eating it right now...i didn't add chilli, didn't have it. nevertheless it tast's nice!

:)

Snowflake
12-27-2005, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jannah
Masha Allah:coolsis:

I just made that, in fact i am eating it right now...i didn't add chilli, didn't have it. nevertheless it tast's nice!

:)
Wow sis that's great mashaAllah :) Chilli sauce will do just as well. Awww I feel so proud of you :coolsis:

Snowflake
12-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Easiest Nihari Dish in the World

This is best served with chappatis.

You need:

3lb Meat, chicken or beef (I don't know cooking time for beef)
Ready-mixed Nihari masala
One large red or white onion finely sliced
One cup of flour
Cup of oil
Some fat greenchillies to garnish

Wash, drain and fry the meat in half of the oil for 5-8 minutes on medium heat. Pour in the mixed masala (lazeezah do two sachets in one pack, I use one and a half sachets for more flavour) Cover with enough water so that all meat is well covered. Chicken cooks quicker so every now and then check to see if cooked. One way to check is that the meat will start to come away from the bone (leg part).

OK mix the cup of flour in a bowl with enough water to make a thick gravy. Beat well and add to chicken, stirring as you go. Keep cooking on medium heat for another 15 minutes.

Now fry the onion in the remaining oil, until nicely browned and throw into Nihari and mix it all up. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.

It's best to leave the garnish to the end just before you serve the dish.

Tip: Remove seeds from chilli and slice thinly before putting a large pinch on top of served dish. You can add grated ginger and coriander but I don't bother. Enjoy ;)

Snowflake
12-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Spicy Chicken Drumsticks

(made in microwave)

4-6 drumsticks washed and stabbed with sharp knife

2-3 tablespoons of oil

2-3 spoons of plain low-fat yogurt

tandoori masala ( I add a tiny bit of extra red chilli to this)

salt (taste mixture to add right amount, remember it will reduce in cooking as mixture falls of chicken so add extra)

Mix together all ingredients and throw in drumsticks. Rub mixture into chicken and leave to marinade in fridge for 30 mins. If you can't wait, it's ok neither do I :p Place drumsticks on microwave-proof plate and cook full-blast for about 15-20 minutes. Cooking time varies depending on the power of your microwave. To tell if chicken is cooked, see if meat has separated from the bone. In any case don't worry, if you feel it's not cooked enough, cook it for 5-7 minutes more.

If tandoori masala is not available mix 1/4 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 garam masala, 1/2 tsp paprika powder. If none of these are available, just use salt, chilli powder, bit of lemon juice, or/and yogurt.

Enjoy :sister:

ummbilal
12-29-2005, 02:35 AM
i remember back in school we used to have cooking lessons. one lesson i was with farhan and we had to make our own special scones which weren't plain. so the clever guys we were we came up with this fantastic idea to make pizza scones. so we both bought in different ingregients we wantd to add which you'd add to your pizza.

allaaaaaaaaaahu akhbar

mashallah...

so wheres this pizza scone recipe then???

dont keep us in suspence,

re men being the best cooks, mashallah my hubby is a better cook than me, i think coz i once many yrs ago giggled at his cooking mistakes, hes extreemly competative mashallah, now hes an excellent self taught cook,very good at indian and chinese cooking, i cook moroccan and english styles, so thats cool!

EVERYONE should cook boys and girls, men and women,

i hear stories of my husbands mates who cant make toast let alone a meal, mashallah thats awful, cooking is such good fun, just ask my 10yr old who asks to cook lunch everyday!!!

(i only say no because scrammbled eggs or fishfinger sandwiches everyday gets a bit boring, but they are his favS!!!!!!):loving:

ummbilal
12-29-2005, 02:38 AM
Oh Ummsis, sowee I just seen ur post. Kitchen Bouquet is: BROWNING AND SEASONING SAUCE. BRINGS OUT THE JUICY FLAVOR OF MEATS GRAVYS AND STEWS. FOUR OUNCE SIZE LARGE ONLY AVAILABLE

It's available in a bottle and Kitchen Bouquet is it's actual name.

Hehehe checked that on the net :p
jazakallah khaier, i didnt think of googling it, doh!!

can i make the meat balls without it?
i've never seen it in uk?

Umm Yoosuf
12-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum

This thread is just tasty!

Snowflake
12-31-2005, 03:41 PM
jazakallah khaier, i didnt think of googling it, doh!!

can i make the meat balls without it?
i've never seen it in uk?

Sorry sis I've never made meatballs. What are moms for lol?? ;)

ummbilal
12-31-2005, 10:42 PM
hmmm

i was brought up by my dad and now i am a mum..i i really need to know!!!!!!!

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Okkk sis keep yer hair on lolll. I meant that I've never made meatballs cuz my mom always makes them. Soweeeee if it hurt you in any way :'(
I'll ask my mom then give you the recipe. But it spicy meatballs if thats ok with you? Meanwhile here are some meatball recipes you could have a look at :)

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/meatball-recipes/

ummbilal
01-02-2006, 02:32 PM
salaam alakum sisters and brothers

i tried the tandoori chicken recipe last night, it didnt turn out how i expected, i left out the lemon juice as i didnt have any and i used masala not tandoori masala, it was tastey but not as red as i think it should have been, also i did it in the oven as i like it a little crispy..

come to think of it if i hadnt changed soo much maybe it would have been better lol!!

mehnaz
01-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Salaam,

KABSSAAAHHHHH.........MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....i lovveee it!!...JazakAllah khair for posting sis!!!

W'salaam

Snowflake
01-06-2006, 02:59 AM
salaam alakum sisters and brothers

i tried the tandoori chicken recipe last night, it didnt turn out how i expected, i left out the lemon juice as i didnt have any and i used masala not tandoori masala, it was tastey but not as red as i think it should have been, also i did it in the oven as i like it a little crispy..

come to think of it if i hadnt changed soo much maybe it would have been better lol!!

Oh my sis, never mind. I should've given some kind of quantities. My mistake, sorry sis :-[ I will make it again soon and will note exactly how much of what I put in. Its so easy for us to throw in how much of whatever we want when it's our own recipe that we forget that it's not as easy if someone is making it. Also it was for microwaving, even I dont know how to make it in the oven :? BTW, have you tried cauliflower cheese? [BANANA]yummmmm:) [/BANANA]

Snowflake
01-06-2006, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jannah
Assalaamu Alaikum

This thread is just tasty!

[S]JazakAllah sis[/S] Did you try any other recipe?

sumay28
01-06-2006, 03:47 AM
This is a very simple recipe for those of you who have stale bread or leftover pancakes, or some crust you want to get rid of.... bread pudding!!

3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (halal vanilla powder if you can find it)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups milk
Enough bread cubes or pieces to thicken.. make sure the bread is not as hard as a rock, but not completely fresh either.
1 cup raisins
Cinnamon

you can flavor it however.. you can use strawberries, bananas, raisins.. I just put raisins cause that's my preference! cinnamon is highly recommended. You can crunch up "cinnamon toast cruch" cereal and spread it on the final product. It tastes better cold, so it's better to refridgerate.

Jacquie
01-06-2006, 04:40 AM
[PIE]Salam Alykom. Does any one know how to make Mensef? I believe it is a Palestinian dish, it is so good.[/PIE]

Takumi
01-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Deep Fried Chicken Wings Asian Style

15 pieces of fresh chicken wings.
2 inches of fresh galanga (skin peeled)
5 pieces of fresh ginger (skin peeled)
10 sticks of fresh lemon grass (cut off grass and leave root)
one tablespoon of tumeric powder
salt to taste.

Method.

(1) Cut galanga, ginger and lemon grass into small pieces.
(2) Put items (1) into blender and blend.
(3) Put all chicken wings into a big mixing bowl.
(4) Mix (2) and (3) until all chicken wings are covered.
(5) Add tumeric powder to (4) and mix until even. Add salt to taste
(6) Leave for 45 minutes.
(7) heat deep fryer to 350F.
(8) Deep fry chicken wings until golden yellow.

Enjoy. Serves two people.

Nawal89
01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
^waht is galanga?
My mother's fried chicken is something liek the recipe above, but has more seasonings, She puts oyster sauce, onion and garlic and ginger all blended up. Then after it's fried she puts a little bit sesame oil and soy sauce.....sooo good.

Snowflake
01-06-2006, 09:51 PM

Oh my sis, never mind. I should've given some kind of quantities. My mistake, sorry sis :-[ I will make it again soon and will note exactly how much of what I put in. Its so easy for us to throw in how much of whatever we want when it's our own recipe that we forget that it's not as easy if someone is making it. Also it was for microwaving, even I dont know how to make it in the oven :? BTW, have you tried cauliflower cheese? [BANANA]yummmmm:) [/BANANA]

OH goodness me!!! I really don't know what's wrong with me. I know I've been feeling a bit under the weather but thats no excuse lol. I realised (a bit too late) that I did give quantities in my recipe. Doh! I must be over-exerting myself lol. Trust me I havent lost all my marbles yet! Just need to be a bit more awake when Im on LI. But anyway, better luck to the next person who tries it :)

Snowflake
01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
Oookay, I have a recipe for cheese cake over here which my family loooooooves, it's without crust though ;)

Family Cheesecake

4 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup unsalted butter softened
2 cups heavy cream
6 eggs

Heat oven to 350F . Coat a 10 inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, or just grease with butter. Wrap ou tside of pan with foil (not really necessary, I always skip this part lol )
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth and light. Add sugar, then corsnstarch, butter , cream and eggs BEATING WELL after each addition. Pour into prepared pan. Place pan in a pan filled with 1" water.
Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cook.
Once cheesecake has cooled (about three hours) loosen the sides of pan , cover, and put in refrigerator

This tastes yummyier if left over night ;)

Yumm sis jazakAllah, I love strawberry cheesecake. How can I incorporate strawberries in this recipe? :? Oh and the Kasbah sounds really dish. Thanks sis, must try it soon mmmmmmm...... :playing:

Snowflake
01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jacquie
[PIE]Salam Alykom. Does any one know how to make Mensef? I believe it is a Palestinian dish, it is so good.[/PIE]

No sorry sis, wouldnt know. What does it consist of?

Snowflake
01-06-2006, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
Deep Fried Chicken Wings Asian Style

15 pieces of fresh chicken wings.
2 inches of fresh galanga (skin peeled)
5 pieces of fresh ginger (skin peeled)
10 sticks of fresh lemon grass (cut off grass and leave root)
one tablespoon of tumeric powder
salt to taste.

Method.

(1) Cut galanga, ginger and lemon grass into small pieces.
(2) Put items (1) into blender and blend.
(3) Put all chicken wings into a big mixing bowl.
(4) Mix (2) and (3) until all chicken wings are covered.
(5) Add tumeric powder to (4) and mix until even. Add salt to taste
(6) Leave for 45 minutes.
(7) heat deep fryer to 350F.
(8) Deep fry chicken wings until golden yellow.

Enjoy. Serves two people.

Sounds nice.. I'm all for experimenting with diff foods yummm...

kashifdogar
01-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Dear Sister Nadia
really nice idea i also want same cause i also live alone and some time i cooking my self and some time eat out side.
i write my dish tomorow.
Your Brother

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Asalaam

ive just joined here few days ago and jus came across this thread, i fink its a top idea, u might fink it's bit weird but i love cooking so inshA soon ill post some of my cooking tips etc.

Muezzin
01-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I can make raita. Here's my tip-top recipe.

Here's what you need:

A bowl (you don't actually eat this)
Half a teaspoon of salt
Half a teaspoon of chilli powder
A pot of yoghurt
Milk (optional)
Bhoondi (I don't know what the heck you call them in English, but they're kind of like Rice Krispies)

Soak bhoondi in small amount of milk until soft, in the bowl. Pour yoghurt into bowl. Mix in salt and chilli powder. Stir like mad. Add chopped tomatoes/cucumbers/onions as desired.

You can make it without milk by simply soaking the bhoondi in boiling water. Sorted.

afriend
01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Good recipe, but isn't bhoondi, like a ball of rice krispies....Or something else, a pic wud really help

Muezzin
01-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Google Image Search has failed me.

Think a bunch of Rice Krispies, but which are orbs, and are slightly bigger than ball bearings.

afriend
01-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Ohhhh.....I know, but aren't they covered in sweet stuff, like molasses or honey?

Muezzin
01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Nah. Raita's not sweet. It's kind of very mildly spicy.

Here's a picture:

They haven't put any chilli in it though. Wimps.

afriend
01-17-2006, 07:55 PM
mmmm...........that looks good enuf to lick the screen

mehnaz
01-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Salaam,

boondi is made of besan(chick pea flour)...mixed with a lil salt...chilli powder...chat masala...and water...to make a thick paste...then these are fried by sieving thru a spoon which has holes in it...u know the one u use for frying stuff so that the oil comes out....hope that gives sommeee idea..:)

W'salaam

afriend
01-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Well I got the picture......also many ways of making it:

Boondi Raita

Ingredients [ Multilingual Glossary | Measurement Conversion ]
1/2 cup Gram-Flour(besan)
1-2 cups curd(dahi)
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds powder
1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder or 1 chopped Green Chilli
Oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
few Coriander-Leaves.

Instructions
First mix the besan, salt and water properly to form a thick batter.
Then heat the oil for deep frying.
Take a sieve with large holes and gradually pour the batter through it in the oil.
Fry the boondis for few seconds till golden brown and crisp.(Keep the flame on medium).Keep aside.
Now in a bowl, take the dahi and beat well to form a smooth paste.
Add to it,salt, cumin powder,Red-Chilli-Powder or chopped Green-Chilli and mix well.
Just before serving , add the boondi, mix well and then garnish it with Coriander-Leaves.

lϋх ετ νέrιταs
01-17-2006, 08:13 PM
i watched this on ready steady cook ages ago and tried it myself.... it was amazing because the sponge was really soft and spongy.... and it takes about 15 mins to make...

Ingredients
55g/2oz butter
55g/2oz self raising flour
55g/2oz caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
3-4 tbsp milk
½ tin cherries, drained
butter to grease
flour to dust

Method
1. For the pudding, put the sugar and butter into a food processor and blend to combine.
2. Add the flour and baking powder and blend briefly.
3. Add the egg and blend again.
4. Drizzle in just enough milk to loosen the mix to make it just pourable.
5. Grease a medium sized heat proof bowl with butter and dust with flour.
6. Shake out the excess flour.
7. Put the cherries in the bottom of the bowl.
8. Pour the batter into the bowl and cover with cling film.
9. Microwave for 5-6 minutes (check with microwave cooking guidelines).
10. Leave to sit for one minute then turn out onto a plate.
11. Put the cherry juice in a pan and simmer to reduce and thicken slightly.
12. Pour this over the sponge and serve

afriend
01-17-2006, 08:15 PM
And what is it called? it sure sounds good!

mehnaz
01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
kool...bro fozley u gave a better explanation than me...:applaud:

lϋх ετ νέrιταs
01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
dunooo....just call it sponge cake .... or cherry sponge cake

lϋх ετ νέrιταs
01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
got another one for coffee lover (like myself!)....

Ingredients
For the chocolate mousse
55g/2oz chocolate
120ml/4fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
8-10 sponge biscuits
120ml/4fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
grated chocolate to garnish
For the coffee sauce
3 tbsp instant coffee
120/4fl oz double cream

Method
1. Break up the chocolate and put into a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water. Ensure the bowl is not touching the water.
2. Melt the chocolate gently.
3. Take some of the chocolate and pipe a handle shape onto some greaseproof paper.
4. Chill in the fridge.
5. Fold the cream into the rest of the chocolate in the bowl.
6. Take a chefs' ring with a diameter of 8cm/3in.
7. Cut the biscuits to length and line the ring so that they sit about 2cm/1in above the top of it.
8. Fill the ring with the chocolate mousse.
9. Pipe the lightly whipped cream onto the chocolate mousse.
10. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
11. Attach the handle with some cream.
12. Heat the double cream and coffee to make the coffee sauce and drizzle round the edge

never actually tried it myself but will do inshallah when i can be bothered

afriend
01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
U people just gotta give them names....It's like havin children, but not givin them names...LOL

they sounds better if they have names

Snowflake
01-18-2006, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_ibn_adam
Asalaam

ive just joined here few days ago and jus came across this thread, i fink its a top idea, u might fink it's bit weird but i love cooking so inshA soon ill post some of my cooking tips etc.
WElcome bro, nah it's not wierd a bro liking cooking. It's wonderful! Hope to see some nice recipes from yourself inshaAllah.

format_quote Originally Posted by fozley
U people just gotta give them names....It's like havin children, but not givin them names...LOL

they sounds better if they have names

looolzzz very funny Fozley bro!!

Tnx for the raita recipes brothers. There are so many and it's nice to know a few of them jazakAllah. So does anyone know how to make bengan=aubergine raita?

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-18-2006, 07:47 PM
WElcome bro, nah it's not wierd a bro liking cooking. It's wonderful! Hope to see some nice recipes from yourself inshaAllah.

looolzzz very funny Fozley bro!!

Tnx for the raita recipes brothers. There are so many and it's nice to know a few of them jazakAllah. So does anyone know how to make bengan=aubergine raita?

inshallah will do soon

*noor
05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
salam ppl

i dont know if theres already a thread on recipes or not.

Anyways, i know that there are people here from just about everywhere, especially you who have southeast Asian origin. I've tried some paki food in a restaurant and its really good. If anyone here has any recipes for food that they would like to share, please post them here. If anyone has the recipe for biryaani, please post it cuz i really want to know how to make it cuz its really good.

salam

ishkabab
05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
well im bangali sooooo when i go out with my family or friends i definetly dont go for desi foods!!!....i have to go for other types of food like Afghani or spanish....or trini....but definetly no desi..why go out to eat desi when i can just get that at home right.....
ok ok sooo u wanna know how to make Biryani hmmm...well lemme tell u the secret.............use this...lol thats it..
attachmentphp?attachmentid1291&ampstc1&ampd1147206646 -

afriend
05-09-2006, 08:34 PM
LOL

My mum uses that sometimes....

but arabian food, Morrocan Tagine etc. is very nice, My friend's dad is Morrocan and owns a restaurant. It's very nice, although a bit weird at times...but all tastes good.

chacha_jalebi
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
nothing beats a gud old halal chicken n chips :p especially wen its wit a free drink ;) lol but me mummy cookin is also hai hai lol :embarrass

k recipes hmmmm hmmm hmmmm well people normally make pasta sauce wit dat funky sauce i 4got wot it called lol, but instead of usin dat sauce use youghurt hmmmm its so much nicer lol n add ur usual spices mmmmmmmm :)

*noor
05-09-2006, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
LOL

My mum uses that sometimes....

but arabian food, Morrocan Tagine etc. is very nice, My friend's dad is Morrocan and owns a restaurant. It's very nice, although a bit weird at times...but all tastes good.

yea i like arabic food, especially palestinian and lebanese, but i like to try new things

Abir
05-09-2006, 09:44 PM
wat do you like

Abir
05-09-2006, 09:44 PM
what sort of food d you like to eat/cook

*noor
05-09-2006, 09:46 PM
anything good.....lol!!!

*noor
05-09-2006, 09:51 PM
anyone have the recipe for samosa??

north_malaysian
05-10-2006, 03:15 AM
I know how to cook simple meals like fried rice and noodles

amirah_87
05-10-2006, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I know how to cook simple meals like fried rice and noodles
i was abroad once , and i met up with sum indonesian sisters , it was eid so one of them invited us around .....anyways well the sister made sum nice rice and meat curry dish...
the rice was actually cooked/steamed into a bag so it was like a block shape , and then later on she cut it into little squares,
boy o boy was that nice , i wanna ask you wots that dish called and how d'you make it...

jazaakallaahu khayran

Silver Pearl
05-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Thread Merged

Reminder-This is not a thread dedicated to idle chit chat so please refrain from any off-topics. Also please adhere to appropriate manners whilst posting.

:wasalamex

sumay28
05-11-2006, 08:22 PM
check out some chocolate recipes: http://www.chocojunkie.com

*noor
05-11-2006, 08:42 PM
does anyone have a good recipe for biryaani?

Isaac
05-11-2006, 09:28 PM
hey salam sis, ill try to get u the best recie for boryani, see i had a mate from hyderabad, india and he cooked the most amazing biryani, and just looking at the way he made, made my mouth water lol. but heythey do say the best buryani is from hayderabad. so ill get back to u with recipe if hes still in the country

salam

Sister_6038
05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
can someone give me the recipe for a HOT chicken curry whatever kind as long as the chicken bits are small

Mawaddah
05-11-2006, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
i was abroad once , and i met up with sum indonesian sisters , it was eid so one of them invited us around .....anyways well the sister made sum nice rice and meat curry dish...
the rice was actually cooked/steamed into a bag so it was like a block shape , and then later on she cut it into little squares,
boy o boy was that nice , i wanna ask you wots that dish called and how d'you make it...

jazaakallaahu khayran

Hey you dont mean to tell me you never had that by us before amirah? :eek: amazing!!!

Well what this sister served you was 'Ketupat' that's the rice cut up into squares thingy
And the meat was probably 'rendang' :)

Ketupat is easy!! traditionally they're wrapped up in banana leaves and boiled, but nowadays people are too lazy to weave the banana leaf cases ;D

So anyway, the QUICK way to do it is just to get some sticky rice...not parboiled rice.....what kind of rice gets stickky when you cook it? Jasmine rice? yeah I think it's jasmine rice :X
So take some of that and place it into a sandwhich sized plastic bag. (Make sure this plastic bag can endure boiling water for a time span of 2 hours at least.) Fill up the bag 3/4 full and fold the top a little and staple closed (to make sure rice doesn't fall out )then prick holes all over it with a fork and then place into a pot of boiling water, and boil until rice is fully cooked. Remove from pan and drain and place on a tray and place something heavy ontop of the rice cakes so that the rice will stick together. When cold cut into cubes and serve with rendang or peanut sauce or stir fried satay......yummy!!!

*noor
05-17-2006, 01:03 AM
salam

come on. i know that there are at least a whole bunch of pakis, indians, and begalis here. i know somebody here has a good recipe for biryaani.

If u have a good recipe for biryaani (lamb or chicken), please post it.

Jazakum Allah

life
05-17-2006, 02:19 AM
pakistani chicken biryani (my mom's recepi :p )

Serves about 4-6 people

You will need two 4-quart pots .You will also need to buy a spice mix packet called “Shan Masala” from the Indian/Pakistani grocery store. There are many types of Shan spices for different dishes, you will need to obtain the one for “Bombay Biryani.”
Additional ingredients include two pounds of boneless chicken, two cups of uncooked rice, half a cup of oil, one big onion, one or two medium-sized tomatoes, ginger paste, garlic paste, half a cup of plain yogurt, four cups of water, and half a cup of warm milk/water.

1. Soak rice in cold water for 30-45 minutes.
2. Cut two lbs. Of chicken into pieces (It is up to you on how large you want the pieces.)
3.Heat half a cup of oil in one pot.
4. Cut one onion and two tomatoes into cubes and start frying them in the pot with the heated oil for about 20 minutes.
5.Put in chicken, one tbsp of garlic paste, one tbsp of ginger paste, half a cup of yogurt and one packet of Shan spice mix into the pot with the fried onions and tomatoes. Cook for about 30-35 minutes.
6.While the chicken is cooking, heat 4 cups of water into the second pot. Drain the soaked rice, and place rice into the second pot when the water starts to boil. Cook the rice only until it is half cooked (about 10 minutes). Drain the rice into the sink (Be cautious here because the steam of the rice can burn your hands very easily).

After the chicken has been cooked, start layering the rice and chicken into the pot. Start with a layer of rice at the bottom of the pot, then spread a good amount of the chicken on top of the rice, then layer again twice. Repeat this until the chicken and rice have been used up. The top and the bottom layer should be rice. Sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves over the top layer.

8.After you are done layering, do not stir.

9 Mix the food color into half a cup of milk/water and sprinkle over the rice.

10 cover with a tight fitting lid and allow cooking for 20 more minutes. Now you are ready to eat! The best way to eat Biryani is with yogurt and salad on the side.

Note: Sister there is also written biryani recipe at the back of the Bombay Biryani’s packet. This recipe is a bit different from packet one because my mom add few more ingredients to make it more tasty………its up to u which one u want to try........

Inshallah
05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
HYDERABADI BIRYANI ROCKZ!!!!!

I bet you all knew that already :)

Muezzin
05-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh no, this thread reminded me I have to make the raita this evening. I wonder if we have enough yoghurt...

amirah_87
05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
Hey you dont mean to tell me you never had that by us before amirah? :eek: amazing!!!

Well what this sister served you was 'Ketupat' that's the rice cut up into squares thingy
And the meat was probably 'rendang' :)

Ketupat is easy!! traditionally they're wrapped up in banana leaves and boiled, but nowadays people are too lazy to weave the banana leaf cases ;D

So anyway, the QUICK way to do it is just to get some sticky rice...not parboiled rice.....what kind of rice gets stickky when you cook it? Jasmine rice? yeah I think it's jasmine rice :X
So take some of that and place it into a sandwhich sized plastic bag. (Make sure this plastic bag can endure boiling water for a time span of 2 hours at least.) Fill up the bag 3/4 full and fold the top a little and staple closed (to make sure rice doesn't fall out )then prick holes all over it with a fork and then place into a pot of boiling water, and boil until rice is fully cooked. Remove from pan and drain and place on a tray and place something heavy ontop of the rice cakes so that the rice will stick together. When cold cut into cubes and serve with rendang or peanut sauce or stir fried satay......yummy!!!
hey thanx mate !!!!! i've been dyin' to sink my teeth into this dish for aaaages ;D ;D ;D
hey Asilah .....i don't remember havin' that round yours !!! wot i do remember is your mums cinnamon rolls ...mmmm yummy!!, and all those other cakes she use to make..oooooh my ! :thumbs_up

Snowflake
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
For Prawn Lovers

Buttery Prawn Rice

You can use left-over boiled rice for this..

Slice onions finely and fry gently in butter until golden brown

Throw in as much frozen (ready to eat type) prawns and as much sweetcorn as you like. Add salt to taste.

Stirfry for 3-4 minz, then add your rice.. just make sure that you don't put so much rice in that you can't find the prawns.

a couple of prawns in each spoonful of rice is nice :P

Now just stir-fry the whole thing for a few more minutes and enjoy :statisfie

*noor
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by life
pakistani chicken biryani (my mom's recepi :p )

Serves about 4-6 people

You will need two 4-quart pots .You will also need to buy a spice mix packet called “Shan Masala” from the Indian/Pakistani grocery store. There are many types of Shan spices for different dishes, you will need to obtain the one for “Bombay Biryani.”
Additional ingredients include two pounds of boneless chicken, two cups of uncooked rice, half a cup of oil, one big onion, one or two medium-sized tomatoes, ginger paste, garlic paste, half a cup of plain yogurt, four cups of water, and half a cup of warm milk/water.

1. Soak rice in cold water for 30-45 minutes.
2. Cut two lbs. Of chicken into pieces (It is up to you on how large you want the pieces.)
3.Heat half a cup of oil in one pot.
4. Cut one onion and two tomatoes into cubes and start frying them in the pot with the heated oil for about 20 minutes.
5.Put in chicken, one tbsp of garlic paste, one tbsp of ginger paste, half a cup of yogurt and one packet of Shan spice mix into the pot with the fried onions and tomatoes. Cook for about 30-35 minutes.
6.While the chicken is cooking, heat 4 cups of water into the second pot. Drain the soaked rice, and place rice into the second pot when the water starts to boil. Cook the rice only until it is half cooked (about 10 minutes). Drain the rice into the sink (Be cautious here because the steam of the rice can burn your hands very easily).

After the chicken has been cooked, start layering the rice and chicken into the pot. Start with a layer of rice at the bottom of the pot, then spread a good amount of the chicken on top of the rice, then layer again twice. Repeat this until the chicken and rice have been used up. The top and the bottom layer should be rice. Sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves over the top layer.

8.After you are done layering, do not stir.

9 Mix the food color into half a cup of milk/water and sprinkle over the rice.

10 cover with a tight fitting lid and allow cooking for 20 more minutes. Now you are ready to eat! The best way to eat Biryani is with yogurt and salad on the side.

Note: Sister there is also written biryani recipe at the back of the Bombay Biryani’s packet. This recipe is a bit different from packet one because my mom add few more ingredients to make it more tasty………its up to u which one u want to try........

Jazaaki Allah sister.........im gonna try this next week inshaAllah.
i cant wait.:)

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2006, 04:01 PM

WHOAH i might hav to try sum of these <--- translation <---- i might hav to ask my sister to make some of these ;D

naa i wana try one myself inshaAllah, the first one sounsd NICE, love fishfingers!!

firdaw
05-18-2006, 12:43 AM
cool idea

Snowflake
05-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Fish Finger Burger

You'll need fishfingers fried in very shallow oil, this makes them extra crispy.

Soft bap, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and tartar sauce. You can use mayo if you don't like tartar sauce.

Cut bap in half and spread margerine on both sides. Lay lettuce on bottom half. Top with cucumber, tomato. Then put your fishfingers on top of that. Lastly add tartar sauce or mayo on top of fishfingers and enjoy. If you use mayo, then add a bit of onion in salad.

Quick and easy and kids love it!

Snowflake
08-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Ok guys, I thought I'd treat you all to one of my very own wicked inventions. Once eaten - never forgotten! Ohh the confidence....... :statisfie I'm thinking of marketing this one so make and eat in secret :raging:

just don't ask me for exact measurements :peace:

Step 1 (the hardest) :D

Make a chapatti(s) of medium thickness. If you can't make chapattis, pinch one when ur mom makes it or buy one. Just get one anyhow.

Step 2 (for the topping - covers two chapattis

one good sized onion or 2 small ones
a small handful of finely chopped coriander
3-4 green chillies (deseeded) and finely chopped
1 cup of gram flour (besan in urdu)
a big blob of salted butter/marg
red chilli powder (according to preference)
Salt (add - taste - if right - add a lil more as chappatis will diminish some of the saltiness)

Mix everything well, until mixture is consistency of porridge/rice pudding

cover chappati evenly - making sure the edges are totally covered

Now just stick the whole scrumptious thing under the grill

Cool until golden brown and slather with lashings of butter - eat immediately and ENJOY!

Thank Allah and Muslimah_Sis for giving you this recipe :giggling:

ohh and u can add or reduce ingredients, like use less onions for example...

umm-sulaim
08-12-2006, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis

just don't ask me for exact measurements :peace:

LOol i know what you mean, i don't measure anything either, i just do it to texture and taste whatever....lol

So when anyone wants a recipe i'm stuck, then again i'll just get out the books

some nice recipes here mashAllah...

And the meat was probably 'rendang'
MashaAllah that was really nice, the way the indonesian brothers (3uzzaab) cooked the meat was really nice, they cooked it with some kind of green sauce mashaAllah!
umm Abdillahs ayam goring ;) was the best though!

I still haven't made the chicken rolls yet maw, yeah anaa kaslaanah! lol

wassalaam

Snowflake
08-12-2006, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
LOol i know what you mean, i don't measure anything either, i just do it to texture and taste whatever....lol

So when anyone wants a recipe i'm stuck, then again i'll just get out the books
lol that's the trademark of all good cooks! :p

so you gonna try the chapatti one sis? ;)

umm-sulaim
08-12-2006, 11:36 PM
lol that's the trademark of all good cooks! :p

so you gonna try the chapatti one sis? ;)
yeah our way ey ;) ...

LOol yeah inshaAllah i will inshaAllah but nowadays we don't cook lol, don't worry we have a good excuse, so not in a while ... sounds yummy though mashaAllah,
see yesterday we had a guest coming...well i know how to make briyaaani right (uhm..really basic, simple...)
didn't know bout this thread till today qadr Allah, coulda used some of the tips here, but my auntie cooked alhamdulillah, we were saved lol...
your instructions remind of that chef jamie oliver lol...nice, easy and laid back, don't worry bout it kinda instructions....

measurements stress me out..

wassalaam

Mawaddah
08-14-2006, 01:04 AM
You know how to make Biryani!! :eek: awwwwwww I can't wait to go by your place and have some :satisfie:

I have a whole stack of recipes, I go to recipe sites and print them out all the time, but besides baking I never take exact measurements either, just throw everything into the pot :D

umm-sulaim post up your biryani recipe insha'allah!! I wanna try different ones insha'allah :happy:

umm-sulaim
08-14-2006, 08:31 AM
lol...can't wait either :)

yaa....lol ok i will inshaAllah but i have to look for it, its around...but its nothing compared to what our fellow ikhwah have put up lol...
and inshaAllah give me yours sis...
yeah lately me and umm sulayman have gone soup mad...its different (wa jayyid li ad-diet)
you guys baking is excellent, do you still make the pineapple upside down cake? mashaAllah that was lovely and your muffins!
i'm glad you guys still bake, you guys have talent mashaAllah!
teach us hehe..

wassalaam

syilla
08-14-2006, 03:55 PM
anyone one my most famous recipes...

anchovies fried rice...(it tastes better than the chicken fried rice)

Snowflake
08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah lately me and umm sulayman have gone soup mad...its different
wassalaam
mmmmm I love chicken soup with crusty bread yum yum! Have you got a chicken soup recipe sis? Ima bit bored with the same taste lol

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
anyone one my most famous recipes...

anchovies fried rice...(it tastes better than the chicken fried rice)
Where's the recipe sis? :p

amirah_87
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

just wanna tell you guys, Umm sulaim still has'nt made the chaptis or the chicken rolls...have a good go at her sisters! she's wasting your time isn't she.... tsk tsk tsk!!!! :heated:

And she's also killing me in suspense :p

I'll tell you guys how they were....if you guys give her a good ranting for me!! :D :D

Muslimah sis... you want a chicken soup recipe!!??...what one is the one your bored with!!??

Snowflake
08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
yeah our way ey ;) ...

LOol yeah inshaAllah i will inshaAllah but nowadays we don't cook lol, don't worry we have a good excuse, so not in a while ... sounds yummy though mashaAllah,
see yesterday we had a guest coming...well i know how to make briyaaani right (uhm..really basic, simple...)
didn't know bout this thread till today qadr Allah, coulda used some of the tips here, but my auntie cooked alhamdulillah, we were saved lol...
your instructions remind of that chef jamie oliver lol...nice, easy and laid back, don't worry bout it kinda instructions....

measurements stress me out..

wassalaam
yeah my way! :D

Wish someone could cook for me for a few days lol lemme know how it turns out when u do start cooking :?

Lol, yeah Jamie Oliver makes cooking look so easy & fun, although I've never watched him for more than 5 minz at any one time. But good for him. I hater complicated recipes.

Oh and I must share this absolutely wicked site with you guys. Ok, don't laugh but I made a sponge cake which turned out fantastic, but my custard ended up like scrambled egg! :offended: But newayz the site has recipes from all over the world.. you'll love it!

http://fooddownunder.com/

as salaamu alaykum,

just wanna tell you guys, Umm sulaim still has'nt made the chaptis or the chicken rolls...have a good go at her sisters! she's wasting your time isn't she.... tsk tsk tsk!!!! :heated:

And she's also killing me in suspense :p

I'll tell you guys how they were....if you guys give her a good ranting for me!! :D :D

Muslimah sis... you want a chicken soup recipe!!??...what one is the one your bored with!!??
oh sis I just make it like my maa used to. That's like bonging the chicken into the pot with onions, spices and lots of water then boiling it forever. I'm not lying but it looks like rain water.

I never was a big fan chicken soup til I went to pakistan and my cousin bought some for me from some restaurant. Can you believe they even provided some soy sauce with it? I was like whao am I really in Pakistan? Amazing! It was the best chicken soup I ever had in my life! :happy:

Oh so, I just want a recipe that's different and the soup is thick and creamy with small diced vegetables. And the colour must be creamish :statisfie

umm-sulaim
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
oh we had this chciken soup (morroccan) it was the best!!!

but too bad didn't get the recipe !

they put in vermecelli and lil chicken stripped really finely and stuff!! woooow!!

that was the best chicken soup i had, they put vinegar in it and

this weren't creamish though it was like light red...orangy kinda thing...lovely

tunisian chicken soup is nice too...

amira ......you know where the kitchen is :) lol

wassalaam

umm-sulaim
08-16-2006, 10:46 PM
lol go there bro! mashaAllah.... i agree moroccan is lovely, still don't know how to make couscous though...

so maybe you know that chicken soup? ^ (by any chance)

wassalaam

seeker_of_ilm
08-16-2006, 10:51 PM

I'm not sure of that exact recipe...but maybe this is similar?

1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped white onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 cup chopped celery
16 oz. canned crushed tomatoes in juice
2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup garbanzo beans
1/8 cup lentils
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup vermicelli, broken into 2 inch pieces
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed
1 Tbsp fresh italian parsley, stems removed

in a medium stockpot, heat olive oil until sizzling. add the onion, garlic
and celery, cooking until translucent. add tomatoes, chicken stock,
garbanzo beans, lentils, black pepper, cinnamon cumin and turmeric to the
stockpot. cook over low heat for 40 minutes, or until the garbanzo beans
and lentils become tender. add the vermicelli to the soup. mix flour with
lemon juice and form into a paste. add flour paste gradually to the soup
until the soup thickens. simmer for an additional 3 minutes. stir in
cilantro and italian parsley.

umm-sulaim
08-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Lol i think thats the one!!!! cos she used tamarind too and lentils and beans...
thats gonna go on my "to make list" too inshaAllah..

wow thanks a bunch akhee!!

wassalaam

seeker_of_ilm
08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Lol i think thats the one!!!! cos she used tamarind too and lentils and beans...
thats gonna go on my "to make list" too inshaAllah..

wow thanks a bunch akhee!!

wassalaam

Thats the one? Its a soup called Harira...and most Moroccans eat that during Ramadhan

Snowflake
08-16-2006, 11:27 PM
^Oh gosh that (Hariri soup) sounds delicious! But I'm not sure if I can buy cilantro leaves in the UK though (never heard of them). Would it matter so much if I left them out?

lol tnx umm-sulaim sis for getting the recipe out of seeker-of-ilm! :happy:

seeker_of_ilm
08-16-2006, 11:29 PM

Those of you into hot sauces...should try Harissa...a Tunisian Chill Sauce.

INGREDIENTS:
10-12 dried red chili peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin

PREPARATION:
Soak the dried chilies in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain. Remove stems and seeds.

In a food processor combine chili peppers, garlic, salt and olive oil. Blend.

Add remaining spices and blend to form a smooth paste.

Store in airtight container. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top to keep fresh. Will keep for a month in the refrigerator.

umm-sulaim
08-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah it was in Ramadhan, she invited us for iftaar and we had it for starters like...
thanks for the tunisian chilli recipe too akhee,

oh you guys should try the Adeni soup they use oats its lovely, and they eat it during ramadhan too...

muslimah sis...i'm sure we can find 'em...somewhere ukhtee (inshaAllah)... (hows the chapatis lol)

wassalaam

umm-sulaim
08-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Wa alaykuma salaaam,

LOol not at all, thats good mashaAllah... keep cooking..!!!

wassalaam

Snowflake
08-16-2006, 11:59 PM
oh you guys should try the Adeni soup they use oats its lovely, and they eat it during ramadhan too...

muslimah sis...i'm sure we can find 'em...somewhere ukhtee (inshaAllah)... (hows the chapatis lol)

wassalaam
What's adeni soup? where's the recipe?
ya lemme ask ilm bro about the leaves.. i might have to go to morroco for em! Erm.. I'm laying off the chappatis for a while.. too fattening lol ;D

format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Am I the only guy that Loooooves cooking? Cooking is just awesome...to me its like an art. Maybe this sounds weird to everyone :rollseyes
You sound just like my bro! :happy: He even pinches my recipes and doesn't give up until he can cook them just like me *not too pleased* lol.

ok so can I make the hariri without the cilantro leaves? Or are they important for the flavour?

seeker_of_ilm
08-17-2006, 12:06 AM
ya lemme ask ilm bro about the leaves.. i might have to go to morroco for em! Erm.. I'm laying off the chappatis for a while.. too fattening lol ;D

You sound just like my bro! :happy: He even pinches my recipes and doesn't give up until he can cook them just like me *not too pleased* lol.

ok so can I make the hariri without the cilantro leaves? Or are they important for the flavour?

All Cilantro is....is another word for Coriander lol

syilla
08-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Anchovies fried rice (easy to make...suitable for the hungry ppl out there)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon of oil
2 tablespoon of anchovies
1/2 cup of mixed vege
2 cup of rice
4 cloves of garlic chopped
2 eggs
2 teaspoon of salt (you might not need it...depends on the anchovies...some of the anchovies are salty)

Heat the oil, then add in the garlic. Until the garlic turn slightly yellow/brown. Add in the anchovies...cook until the anchovies slightly crispy. Add in the salt (put it a 1 teaspoon first). Then add in the egg...don't disturb the egg...make sure the egg is really cook then only you stirr the ingredients. Add in the mix vege ( i prefer only carrots coz i don't really like peas). Stirr it until the vege is cook. Next add in the rice...stir the rice until you can see the steam is coming out from the rice. Add in the rest of the salt if you think you should add more. Stir it maybe for about 15 minutes.

Try it...i gurantee you it tastes good!!

syedanoor
08-17-2006, 04:12 AM
wow a cooking club! sounds great!

i loovvvvee cooking! especially dessert and sweet things!! lemme whip out my cookbook and i'll try to contribute as much as i can!!

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 07:15 AM

aahaa :giggling:

thanks wassalaam

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 07:17 AM
uhm....good idea, haven't had them in ages either, then again ain't been cooking so hehe....
ok you know the adeni soup its like the morrocan one only you don't add lentils beans or vermecelli, the add oat, its really nice :) i know how to cook it, the recipes saved n my memo, so inshaAllah i'll write it up for us sis....

wassalaam

amirah_87
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
As salaamu alaykum,

Thanks for the recipe "Seeker_of_ilm", Umm Sulaim & I were trying to remember what was in it's contents for quite a while!!...

I know, which soup your talkin' about umm sulaim...loool , the Adeni soup ( Aden is a part of Yemen) with the oats in it!!..very nice, I wonder what it's really called... cause i don't think it's called "Shurbat 3aden!!"...LOL!

Snowflake
08-17-2006, 03:13 PM

lol how exotic.. from now on I'll be saying cilaaaantrooo instead!

format_quote Originally Posted by syedanoor
wow a cooking club! sounds great!

i loovvvvee cooking! especially dessert and sweet things!! lemme whip out my cookbook and i'll try to contribute as much as i can!!
cool sis, we're waiting inshaAllah :statisfie

uhm....good idea, haven't had them in ages either, then again ain't been cooking so hehe....
ok you know the adeni soup its like the morrocan one only you don't add lentils beans or vermecelli, the add oat, its really nice i know how to cook it, the recipes saved n my memo, so inshaAllah i'll write it up for us sis....
I get it sis. Only I wish someone else could make it for me! LOL!
I just got back from my neighbours. I made those chapattis for her. Now she wantsme to go into business with her loool. I was like no way mate, do your own! ;D

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
LOol........wow sis you that good mashaAlah!! l"aysal khabar kal mu3aayanah"
and information isn't like the naked eye, so sis can't wait to eat your foood hehe..hint hint ramadhans coming invite me kiddin'

lol @ cilantro, i know right, more sophisticated ...

That adeni soup is called shurbah lol, amira ..lol....

wassalaam

amirah_87
08-17-2006, 03:24 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

That adeni soup is called shurbah lol, amira ..lol....
Hmmm!!?.. shurbah's soup in general though, right!!!??

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 03:28 PM
yeah. that too........lol yuu naseeti, remember aslee?

oh then again i was the only one who used to make it hhmpft, no wonder you forgot lol..

wassalaam

amirah_87
08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

shurbah's shurbah man!!... dunno what you on about!! :?

Hey, we used to make it too remember (once in a blue moon :p), but yours was the best... :rollseyes

You should post it up for sis muslimah to try inshaAllah!! :)

Snowflake
08-17-2006, 03:43 PM
LOol........wow sis you that good mashaAlah!! l"aysal khabar kal mu3aayanah"
and information isn't like the naked eye, so sis can't wait to eat your foood hehe..hint hint ramadhans coming invite me kiddin'

lol @ cilantro, i know right, more sophisticated ...

wassalaam
lol you knowwwww! ;D

lol@umm sulaim! inviting urself r ya?? :giggling: just give me 10 days notice like .. i have lazy days too u know! ;D

as salaamu alaykum,
Hmmm!!?.. shurbah's soup in general though, right!!!??
And soup/grave in Urdu is shorba too. Amazing how many words r similar in different languages :statisfie

Mawaddah
08-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah it was in Ramadhan, she invited us for iftaar and we had it for starters like...
thanks for the tunisian chilli recipe too akhee,

wassalaam
oOoOoOoH I LOVE that soup sisssss

And we have a Moroccan sister here, she came over by our house and Made some couscous along with some soup, I dont know what kind it is, but it was something like stew, and it had pumpking and meat and cabbage and sweetpotatoes......all chopped up big and it was YUMMY!!!

umm-sulaim man Dammaj really taught you cooking ey? :giggling:

Oh yeah, and on Princess's behalf:

MAKE THOSE CHICKEN BUNS!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

IceQueen~
08-17-2006, 04:19 PM
here is a very quick recipe

it takes only 5 minutes!
you need some chedar cheese, some cottage cheese and some bread.

toast the bread lightly both sides and then put some slices of chedar on one side and put back in the grill to melt.
Once its melted spoon nice big dollups of cottage cheese on top and its ready to eat!!!

its really really scrumptious and I just had some :p

Mawaddah
08-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Anchovies fried rice (easy to make...suitable for the hungry ppl out there)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon of oil
2 tablespoon of anchovies
1/2 cup of mixed vege
2 cup of rice
4 cloves of garlic chopped
2 eggs
2 teaspoon of salt (you might not need it...depends on the anchovies...some of the anchovies are salty)

Heat the oil, then add in the garlic. Until the garlic turn slightly yellow/brown. Add in the anchovies...cook until the anchovies slightly crispy. Add in the salt (put it a 1 teaspoon first). Then add in the egg...don't disturb the egg...make sure the egg is really cook then only you stirr the ingredients. Add in the mix vege ( i prefer only carrots coz i don't really like peas). Stirr it until the vege is cook. Next add in the rice...stir the rice until you can see the steam is coming out from the rice. Add in the rest of the salt if you think you should add more. Stir it maybe for about 15 minutes.

Try it...i gurantee you it tastes good!!
Kak syilla when you say anchovies you mean 'ikan bilis' ya? :?

Mawaddah
08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marya
here is a very quick recipe

it takes only 5 minutes!
you need some chedar cheese, some cottage cheese and some bread.

toast the bread lightly both sides and then put some slices of chedar on one side and put back in the grill to melt.
Once its melted spoon nice big dollups of cottage cheese on top and its ready to eat!!!

its really really scrumptious and I just had some :p
Oh my mom used to love to make that for breakfast, and no offence, but i'm soooooooooo tired of it :uhwhat

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Nice soup sis maw...yeah..mashaAllah!! we used to have it for iftaar...
i miss umm Abdillahs fried chicken...ayam goring hehe....

mahrusa makes niiice fried chicken too!!

ikan bilis,,,,i know that....i had that back in san3aa, umm naadiyyah malaysian sister wanted it from the "asian food store" in san3aa, what was it called again...tameem taymah something like that...

lol yeah damaaj did teach me cookin' , it was either that or starve lol...
MAKE THOSE CHICKEN BUNS!!!!!!!!
lol will do 3azeezah.... (inshaAllah...) man fee bee kasal, too lazy mon! lol but i will, i loved 'em... i told you what me and umm sulayman did right?

muslimah sis:
lol@umm sulaim! inviting urself r ya?? just give me 10 days notice like .. i have lazy days too u know!
Lol....hehe oookey dokey, i'm gonna start starving myself for your feast.. :) kiddin'...
lazy days are good for you, everyone needs a rest from the kitchen lol...

wassalaam

syilla
08-18-2006, 12:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Kak syilla when you say anchovies you mean 'ikan bilis' ya? :?
thats right!!

i don't ready know how to translate the ikan bilis to english....

syedanoor
08-18-2006, 03:08 AM
here's a recipe for some baklava!!

my khala's neighbor who used to be egyptian used to make such good baklava, i'd always go to my khala's house just for that!

1 1/2 pounds chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 pound melted sweet butter
2 pounds thin sheet Fillo, or shredded Fillo Dough
1 cup honey

To make the stuffing, combine and mix walnuts, sugar and cardamom. Set aside.

Brush a baking dish measuring about 9x13x2 inch with some of the melted butter.

Spread one Fillo sheet flat in the pan, brush with about 1 teaspoon butter. Stack about 15 Fillo sheets using this method.

Spread one half of the stuffing mixture on the Fillo sheets.

Spread and butter about five Fillo sheets on top of the first layer of stuffing.

Spread the remaining half of the stuffing on top.

Spread and butter about 15 Fillo sheets to make the top and final layer. Use more butter if you run out, or use less for each Fillo layer.

With a sharp knife, cut in diamond, or square shapes.

Pour remaining melted butter on top.

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until the surface turns light golden color.

Pour honey over Baklawa. When at room temperature, transfer individual pieces onto a serving dish.

Serve at room temperature or chilled.

enjoy the yummmmmm!:D

syilla
08-18-2006, 05:33 AM
did anyone tried my recipe...

i hope i have the time to tried yours sis syedanoor...it sounds yummy...

i have the time to cook...but i don't have the time to go to the market...

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 05:54 AM
My world famous tomato soup.

Go to wal-marts buy 2 cans condensed tomato soup, (any brand as long as it is halal)

Come home open cans, dump into a pot, add water about 2 cans full. Put on stove, remember to turn stove on. When it feels hot take it off of the stove and pour into bowls. Add pepper to taste. Don't add any salt, the canned soups are already too salty. Eat/drink the soup. Toss dirty bowl in sink. Check to make certain you turned the stove off.

syilla
08-18-2006, 06:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
My world famous tomato soup.

Go to wal-marts buy 2 cans condensed tomato soup, (any brand as long as it is halal)

Come home open cans, dump into a pot, add water about 2 cans full. Put on stove, remember to turn stove on. When it feels hot take it off of the stove and pour into bowls. Add pepper to taste. Don't add any salt, the canned soups are already too salty. Eat/drink the soup. Toss dirty bowl in sink. Check to make certain you turned the stove off.
that must be yummy...especially when u r really really hungry :D

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Now to make up for my tomato soup recipe.

Chayote with Onions (Chayote con Cebollas)

2 chayote squash (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
2 medium white onions
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper

Pare and seed chayotes; cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices.

Cut onions lengthwise into halves. Cut halves lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices; separate into slivers.

Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Add onions and oregano; sauté over medium-low heat until onions are golden, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add chayote to skillet; sauté over medium heat, 3 minutes.

Cover skillet; reduce heat to low. Cook until chayote is crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper.

Make 4 to 6 servings.

You probably can not find chayote. I only find it here in the Mexican Markets. However, I found that you can substitute small egg plants or the Chinese bitter melon for them and the flavor stays much the same.

If you are curious about what chayote squash is click here:

http://londonfruit.com/chayote.html

syilla
08-18-2006, 07:00 AM
what is white onions?

is it garlic?

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 07:06 AM
White onions are very similar to the regular yellow onions, just a bit stronger. Regular yellow onions can be used if the white ones are not available. Here we call the yellow onions sweet onions.

IceQueen~
08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
heres another tasty toast recipe
taost some bread, butter it, spread some jam on top and then pour a thin layer of cream/spread some whipped cream on top.
and relish!
he he just had some :p

Mawaddah
08-18-2006, 01:51 PM
did anyone tried my recipe...

i hope i have the time to tried yours sis syedanoor...it sounds yummy...

i have the time to cook...but i don't have the time to go to the market...
Oh I make nasi goreng all the time Kak Syilla!! I miss nasi goreng kampung and all of that stuff :cry: Here in the Bahamas we cannot even get ikan bilis :heated:

Mawaddah
08-18-2006, 01:52 PM
heres another tasty toast recipe
taost some bread, butter it, spread some jam on top and then pour a thin layer of cream/spread some whipped cream on top.
and relish!
he he just had some :p
My My........Dont you get chubby eating all that kinda stuff? :p

I always eat bread and butter and jam.....I've gotta try the whipped cream next time insha'allah :D

Mawaddah
08-18-2006, 01:57 PM
THIS is MY Baklava recipe, and ANYONE who wants to try REAL Baklava should try this one. It is DA BOMB and sooooooo Good.....wonderful....flavorful.....aromatic.....w ith the twang of orange and spices........absolutely delicious :D :D :D :D

Mawaddah's World Famous Baklava

1 lb butter, melted
1 lb filo pastry
1 lb walnuts, shelled and chopped or blanched almonds, chopped
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (plain) (optional)
2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon allspice
3 dozen whole cloves

SYRUP:
1 cup honey
1 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients for syrup in saucepan, bring to boil, simmer until of slightly sticky consistency, strain, and allow to cool. (most recipes just say boil it for 10 minutes, but I like my syrup to be thick)

Mix egg, sugar, cinnamon and allspice well.

Coarsely grind or chop walnuts and almonds; mix thoroughly with bread crumbs and egg, sugar, cinnamon, allspice mixture.

Brush a 9"x13"x2" pan with butter; lay sheet of filo in bottom; brush with butter; cover with another sheet of filo; brush with butter, and repeat process until you have used a dozen sheets.

Then spread 1 thin layer of nut mixture on top of filo; cover with sheet of filo; brush with butter; cover with another layer of nuts and repeat process until all nuts are used.

Cover with remaining filo sheets; brush each. sheet generously with butter.

With a very sharp knife, cut the top filo sheets into triangles (cutting diagonally across pan). Insert clove in center of ea. triangle.
Bake (350 degrees F.) for 1 hr. until baklava is evenly browned.
Remove from oven; pour cooled syrup evenly over it, so that it penetrates the layers.
Cool several hrs. before serving.

YUMMILICOUS!!!!! :D

IceQueen~
08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
My My........Dont you get chubby eating all that kinda stuff? :p

I always eat bread and butter and jam.....I've gotta try the whipped cream next time insha'allah :D
naa me stays nice and slim :p
yeah-with cream is even better!

IceQueen~
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
you sure are a good cook maw baby :p masha allah :sister:
(wouldn't mind coming to visit sometime... ;D )

Mawaddah
08-18-2006, 05:59 PM
you sure are a good cook maw baby :p masha allah :sister:
(wouldn't mind coming to visit sometime... ;D )
Sure I would love having you over sis ;D

You proud of staying slim eh? Come over to my place adn I'll fatten you up in no time ;D ;D :Evil:

Mawaddah
08-18-2006, 06:00 PM

I just made some AWESOME Falefel! Gonna have them later with Harissa sauce.
Dont just talk!! Where's the recipe?? Baarakallahu Feek. For both the Falafel and Harissa pleasssssee

I'm stoccking up on recipes for Ramadhan you see :sister:

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 06:20 PM
THIS is MY Baklava recipe, and ANYONE who wants to try REAL Baklava should try this one. It is DA BOMB and sooooooo Good.....wonderful....flavorful.....aromatic.....w ith the twang of orange and spices........absolutely delicious :D :D :D :D

Mawaddah's World Famous Baklava

1 lb butter, melted
1 lb filo pastry
1 lb walnuts, shelled and chopped or blanched almonds, chopped
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (plain) (optional)
2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon allspice
3 dozen whole cloves

SYRUP:
1 cup honey
1 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients for syrup in saucepan, bring to boil, simmer until of slightly sticky consistency, strain, and allow to cool. (most recipes just say boil it for 10 minutes, but I like my syrup to be thick)

Mix egg, sugar, cinnamon and allspice well.

Coarsely grind or chop walnuts and almonds; mix thoroughly with bread crumbs and egg, sugar, cinnamon, allspice mixture.

Brush a 9"x13"x2" pan with butter; lay sheet of filo in bottom; brush with butter; cover with another sheet of filo; brush with butter, and repeat process until you have used a dozen sheets.

Then spread 1 thin layer of nut mixture on top of filo; cover with sheet of filo; brush with butter; cover with another layer of nuts and repeat process until all nuts are used.

Cover with remaining filo sheets; brush each. sheet generously with butter.

With a very sharp knife, cut the top filo sheets into triangles (cutting diagonally across pan). Insert clove in center of ea. triangle.
Bake (350 degrees F.) for 1 hr. until baklava is evenly browned.
Remove from oven; pour cooled syrup evenly over it, so that it penetrates the layers.
Cool several hrs. before serving.

YUMMILICOUS!!!!! :D
I haven't had Baklava in a long time. That really looks like a genujne authentic recipe, has everything I remember being in Baklava. I'm printing this recipe and going to strongly drop hints for my daughter to make it. She has plenty of time. She only has 2 kids left in the house unless you want to add in her husband and me. She just stopped working full time with the Doctor she was with, but she went back to school this past Monday. She decided she wants out of Pediatrics and now got the Idea she wants to go into the field of surgery.

But, I'll put her off on a guilt trip and tell her that it might be the last thing she ever gets to do for her poor, old, mistreated father.

I'll tell you how it comes out after she makes it. I intend to eat the whole thing myself, so she might have to make 2.

IceQueen~
08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Sure I would love having you over sis ;D

You proud of staying slim eh? Come over to my place adn I'll fatten you up in no time ;D ;D :Evil:
feed me all you like! LOL ;D don't think you'll be able to fatten me though... :p

IceQueen~
08-27-2006, 03:14 PM
hey anyone tried rawghni rawTi? as in rawghni chipatti?
its really yum-melt-in-ur-mouth delicious!!!
just make the normal dough for chipattis (whole meal flour and water) and add olive oil. try making it pronThi style (even more yummy and buttery feathers...)

umm-sulaim
08-28-2006, 09:03 AM
whats pronthi style sis? hehe...sounds intresting...

wassalaam

IceQueen~
08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
p style is when you put a dob of butter in the ball of dough ur working with.
then you bring up the sides of the dough and close it up in the middle (enclosing the butter inside) and then mould the dough carefully into a snake and then roll that up into a ball again and roll it out flat with a rolling pin.
when the chipatti is nice and thinly rolled out circle-flip it onto a wide frying pan and cook. the butter rolled up inside creates crispy feathers and flakes in the chipatti when it cooks

umm-sulaim
08-28-2006, 10:23 PM
oh yeah i know this style, i have never done it before though lol... thx bintee..

i'll stick to the simple style hehe...

wassalaam

Mujahidah4Allah
08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
hmmmm c'mon lets see some ingredients for fish [preferably hutki shira i dont knw how to say this in english]

ma'salamah

aliyyah22
09-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Well i'm kinda new to this site...only joined a couple days ago..and i saw a thread tittled "The Cookery Club" and i loveeee cooking and baking....

So Inshallah i will be sharing some recipes with you all and btw i LOVE arabia dishes but unfortunately i don't have many:-\

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:26 AM
I have a lot of recipes that I love but can't remember any.

Here's my favorite salad dressing though:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp mayonaise
juice of 3/4 of a lemon
1 huge garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper to taste
dash of oregano

mix it all up and put it on your salad and enjoy! :)

Here's a bean dip that I make every week to snack on with celery and cut up cucumbers:

1 large can white kidney beans
1/4 cup chopped up fresh parsley
1/3 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons
2 cloves garlic

drain beans and rinse.
combine all ingredients in a food processer and run until smooth
dip celery, cut up cucumber (i prefer the english kind), pita bread, etc. in it and enjoy! :)

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:29 AM
This is really good and one of my favs but I can't take credit for it since it's a Rachel Ray recipe:

Chicken Piccata Pasta Toss

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/3 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup chicken broth or stock
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
Chopped or snipped chives, for garnish

Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and shallots to the skillet. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in wine and reduce liquid 1 minute. Whisk lemon juice and broth into sauce. Stir in capers and parsley. When the liquid comes to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine. Add chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.

syilla
09-12-2006, 03:33 AM
^^^what is it called?

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Stuffed Grape Leaves (my sister's recipe but wicked good!!)

Cook 2 servings of any kind of rice (I prefer brown basmati rice)

Finely chop 1 onion.

Mix with cooled rice and 1 pound raw ground lamb.

Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cajun spice and a pinch of tarragon and mix well.

Take 1 roll of leaves out of the jar and unkrinkle them and pull apart one at a time placing the veign side up and cutting the stem off with scissors.

Put 1 blob of lamb mix on each grapeleave at the base where the stem was, roll the sides in and then roll from the bottom up real tight.

Place one by one into a glass lasagna pan that has been sprayed with olive oil spray and pack them in like sardines, but only one layer.

Take the juice of 6 lemons (no fake stuff) and pour all over covering the grape leaves.

cover tight with foil and bake at 325 fareignheit for an hour and a half.

(sorry..don't know the conversion for you guys who aren't in the US)

*don't shake the pan while baking or they will unroll....been there done that..don't wanna do it again! ;) *

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:36 AM
^^^what is it called?

Whoops....I put the title in it just now but it's the Chicken Piccata Pasta Toss

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:38 AM
Oh I guess I'll have to eliminate the wine in my recipes for now on right? Or can I still have it since it cooks off?

syilla
09-12-2006, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
This is really good and one of my favs but I can't take credit for it since it's a Rachel Ray recipe:

Chicken Piccata Pasta Toss

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/3 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup chicken broth or stock
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
Chopped or snipped chives, for garnish

Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and shallots to the skillet. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in wine and reduce liquid 1 minute. Whisk lemon juice and broth into sauce. Stir in capers and parsley. When the liquid comes to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine. Add chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.
i just realised there is wine in it... :( :(....i can't remember what's the substitute of wine that is halal... i listen somewhere in the radio...but i can't remember what is it...

doodlebug
09-12-2006, 03:41 AM
i just realised there is wine in it... :( :(....i can't remember what's the substitute of wine that is halal... i listen somewhere in the radio...but i can't remember what is it...

hmmmm...would be good to know since i normally would put some red wine in my pasta sauce.

:uuh:

Maybe for this particular recipe substitute some chicken broth and a little bit more lemon juice for the wine. I'll have to try it.

syilla
09-12-2006, 03:51 AM
^^^i'm not sure about it...guess you have to ask the knowledgeable muslims.

but usually...in islam...something that we are unsure of....we should avoid it. So i stick to that principle :)

amirah_87
09-12-2006, 10:01 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

I have a question to ask InshaAllah!!

Q:Is there a way of making Samosa's and all things of it's like less oily??

apart from placing them, on stuff once they're freid to absorb the oil!!

Thanx :peace:

amirah_87
09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Well Mawaddah here's the first of Ramadhaan Recipes you asked for!!

One we used to have Fil Bilaad ;)

This is nice I have to give a big thumbs up to ... it is absolutley delicious!! :wub:

Honey Cake ( Bint As-Sahn) , A Decadent Dessert!!

Servings:8

Ingredients:

1 packet dry active yeast

1/4 c warm water

3 c. flour

1 t. salt

4 large eggs, beaten well

3/4 c. ghee (see full listing of recipes)

Melted ghee or butter , for serving

warm honey, for serving

Instructions:

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Into a large mixing bowl sift the flour and salt. Make a well in center of the flour mixture. Pour beaten eggs and the yeast mixture into the well in center of the flour mixture. Stir to blend and then kneed well. Slowly mix in the 1/4 c. warm melted ghee, continuously kneed dough throughout this process. Continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic. If dough seems to dry add a small amount of water at a time. Flour your hands and dive the dough into 16 balls about the size of a large egg. On a lightly floured board place a dough ball and form into a very thin round shape, using the heel of your hand. A rolling pin may be used. Brush a baking sheet with ghee. Place the completed round on the baking tray and brush well with melted ghee. Shape 7 more rounds. After completing each round place on top of the previous round, press the edges with fingertips and brush well with ghee. Repeat this process with the other 8 rounds . You will have 2 stacks on the baking sheet, be sure to brush the last round with the ghee. Let rest in a warm place for 45 minutes. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-30 minutes until light golden brown. If you tap the base of the tray there should be a hollow sound to indicate the cakes are done.

Best way to eat:Serve hot with generous amounts of melted butter and warm honey on top

Note:
The traditional way of eating this is to break off pieces with the fingertips and dip into butter and honey that remains on the serving platter. It may also be served by cutting it into wedges and spooning butter and honey remaining on the serving platter over top.

Mawaddah
09-12-2006, 10:41 PM
^ Can you beleive it, 5 years in Yemen and I've never tasted Bint As-Sahn? :(

Well I'm going to try this now insha'allah for sure ;) butter can do as a substitute for ghee right? no way you can find ghee here in the Bahamas :-\

Q:Is there a way of making Samosa's and all things of it's like less oily??

apart from placing them, on stuff once they're freid to absorb the oil!!
Mmmm.....well samosas are always naturally a little bit oily, But if you use those skins from the store, They turn out ALOT more oilier than when you make your own home made skins. But home made skins are so much work :( But they taste much better.

Another thing maybe is to make sure that the heat is exactly just right before you put in the samosas so that they dont stay in the oil absorbing it up before it actually starts cooking. Drain it good before lifting. Place on paper towels, Thats about all I know :p

amirah_87
09-12-2006, 10:51 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

^ Can you beleive it, 5 years in Yemen and I've never tasted Bint As-Sahn? :(
Really, I remember on ramdhaan our neighbours would come with a big plate of that.. staright from the oven!!.. *ssiiiighs* :'( :'(

I might try it too InshaAllah...but it'll be no way near theirs!!

Well I'm going to try this now insha'allah for sure butter can do as a substitute for ghee right? no way you can find ghee here in the Bahamas
You don't have Ghee in the Bahamas :? man that place is dry!!! ;D

Mmmm.....well samosas are always naturally a little bit oily, But if you use those skins from the store, They turn out ALOT more oilier than when you make your own home made skins. But home made skins are so much work But they taste much better.

Another thing maybe is to make sure that the heat is exactly just right before you put in the samosas so that they dont stay in the oil absorbing it up before it actually starts cooking. Drain it good before lifting. Place on paper towels, Thats about all I know
Thanx .. I can't eat too much of 'em if they're too oily it upsets my stomach!! :-\

I don't use the ones from the shops anyways, I make 'em myself, those ones start to crack and let all the insides pop out into the oil.. and yeah they absorb way too much oil up!! :heated: :heated:

syilla
09-13-2006, 05:28 AM
hey... you gals should posts me some of your cookings...

you're making me hungry...

The Ruler
09-15-2006, 12:03 PM

ok sistas...i need a bit o help...not a bit but a lot...wt i need is i want u guys to post recipes...lots n lots o recipes...all savoury n if possible cook-chill.

tnx in advance

IceQueen~
09-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Making samosas with less oil

I've heard that you can make chips with less oil by mixing water and oil in a spray (type) bottle and sparaying them with the mixture and then baking them in the oven.

I suppose one could do the same with samosas but they might take longer to get made that's all.

We normally use olive oil cos that doesn't change to saturated/cholesterol fat when heated and we take em out on the side of the 'tavva' to let the oil drain away into the middle away from the samosas then we dry em in kitchen towels.

A lot of 'dos' but you get nice and NOT oily samosas :D

IceQueen~
09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
SUPER DUPER CHICKEN CURRY!!!

need:
1 kilo of chicken (chopped)
2-3 small onions (chopped into large cubes- just quarter em)
about 8 pieces of garlic (chopped)
about a level tsp of salt
half tsp of tumeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp to half of dried coriander (dhaniya) powder
you can cheat with a bit of curry powder :D as well
1/2 a cup of water or maybe 3/4...
about 2 meduim size tomatoes (chopped up/sliced)
about half a cup of olive oil (hello health freak:D)
chilli powder

how to make:

put the chicken, onions, salt, garlic, and chilli depending on how much chilli you want- all into a pan.
put enough water to just about cover the chicken.
put the lid on the pan and leave on high heat for about 7 minutes.

after 7 minutes check the chicken(-should be white coloured by now) and then add the tumeric/haldi powder and about 1 1/2 level tbls of curry powder.
add the half-cup olive oil. you should have the heat on medium now. also add the dhaniya/coriander powder.

stir every now and then till you can see the oil separating from the rest of the liquid in the pan. the curry should almost be made by now so add the tomatoes and stir for about another 5 or so minutes and the tomatoes have been totally pulverised :D and mashed..

taste and see if you want more salt

when its all done turn off the heat and erm get a recipe for chipattis:)

Mawaddah
09-18-2006, 12:58 PM
^ Get the recipe for chapattis after the chicken is done? :rollseyes you'd be eating lunch at past maghrib time like that :giggling:

Naah......make the chapattis whilst the chicken curry is boiling :p

sorry I'm being lame today :uhwhat:

amirah_87
09-18-2006, 06:57 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Hey Mawaddah, How did that recipe of the bint sahn (honey cake) I gave you turnt out!!? :D

You made it the other day right!??

sacred_rose
09-19-2006, 05:56 AM
this is pretty cool great idea whoever started this thread now if i ever learn how to cook ill be using some of these recipes lol

lyesh
09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Ok Everyone.... I'll tell u how to make a traditional Maldivian side dish. Its called "Mas-huni".

U'll need:
1 can of tuna fish
1 finely chopped onion
1/2 coconut (freshly grated)
1 cherry pepper (chopped)
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to season
Chilli paste (optional)
Tomato (optional)

1. Mix chopped onion, lime, chilli and salt.
2. Add fish, grated coconut and tomato and mix them all well. (simple as that:okay: )

It's delicious with Roti/ Bread or Toast. Taste good with tacos or tortillas as well.

Check it out....

umm-sulaim
09-19-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks sis, might try that for iftaar one day :)

and mawaddah i don't beleive you never had bint sahan... ;D

wassalaam

IceQueen~
09-20-2006, 09:17 AM
How about delicious chocolaty fudgy cake?! :p oh well my sis keeps making it so I'll leave her to give the recipe...:D

lyesh
09-25-2006, 09:43 AM
hmmmmmm.... sis, i made chocolate fudge cake yesterday for iftaar! and it was delicious!

Snowflake
10-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Especially for Nazia sis :wub:

HUMOUS

1 can chick peas, drained (16 oz.)
1 clove garlic
1/2 small onion
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. sesame oil (tahini)
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
Cayenne pepper, optional

Place garlic, onion and parsley in food processor, chop fine. Add olive oil and tahini. Process until mixed. Add chick peas and lemon juice. Blend well. This can be used as a vegetable dip or side salad. Can also be place in pita bread and used as a gyro dressing. A little cayenne pepper can be added for zip.

Hajar
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM

i was wondering if any of you have some nice recipes for making Dal...i never made it wanna try it out inshaAllah...

Curaezipirid
10-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes:

use red lentils
you can soak the lentils to shorten the cooking period but with red lentils it should not be needed; but wash the lentils
fry an onion and some ginger in olive oil or ghee
(olive oil in butter is more like ghee than butter alone: and use lots of)
put in to fry also some spices to your own taste: but try the five "c"'s of a curry, that are coriander, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, and chilli: in this recipe I would use them in the proportion of that sequence with most coriander and least chilli which is a bit different to usual: usually more cumin and less clove, and chilli is always the most variable. Use green chilli in this recipe.
Then add in the red lentils and let them heat briefly in the oil, so there has to be enough oil/ghee to saturate the lentils.
Before any begin sticking add the water, using that amount of water that the lentil packaging tells to.
put in lime juice and a bay leaf.

leave the lid on until it cooks and eat with rice and yogurt

Curaezipirid
10-02-2006, 11:53 PM
here is my Ramadan recipe, a new one:

fry mushrooms and walnuts and garlic then leave to cool
slice a pear and some celery
mix it all together with sour cream

make chappatis with lots of olive oil and sea salt and sage

eat the first bit on top of the second at dinner
the recipe seems to stimulate thirst for water through the night which makes it easier to be in fast during the daylight

wasalam

Curaezipirid
10-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Here is another good one for Ramadan:

soak black eye beans overnight, maybe 500g, no more.
put in the biggest available pot with a surprisingly large amount of olive oil
as much diced onion as there are beans in volume when soaked
an equally surprisingly large amout of sea salt
then water up to the top of the pot

after the beans are cooked taste it for the salt content and modify as needed by adding either salt or water

wasalam

butterfly+
10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
So, care to share any recipes and cooking tips with the rest of us?

:okay:

First up... when cooking food on the stove or baking in the oven, don't get distracted and leave it to burn. rofl.. that always happens to me.. LOL.. :giggling:

S_87
10-15-2006, 05:11 PM

and dont get impatient and cook on high heat specially if youre not a pro :p

Kittygyal
10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
salam.
oh kewl now an cooking thread too wow,

remember to put the gas low or burn in instead!
w.salam

butterfly+
10-15-2006, 06:59 PM
:haha:

u never post such pics ? :rolleyes:
hahahahaha! those pics get put in the trash. loool :giggling:

Chicken Biryani (i have not attempted this yet.. seems way too complicated)

Ingredients
1 (1 1/2 kg) chickens, washed and disjointed
2 cups black lentils
2 cups rice
2 pieces cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom
1 teaspoon cumin
4 green chilies (slit)
1 cup yoghurt
2 tablespoons fresh tomatoes (grated or pureed)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 sprigs mint
1/4 teaspoon saffron
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coriander
1 1/2 red chilies
6 small potatoes
3 hard-boiled eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 onions
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic

Method:
1. Keep some saffron aside for tinting and 3 or 4 tbsp of the cooked rice. This must be spread on top of the finished rice, in streaks.
2. Fry onions in oil to a pale golden colour. Drain and cool. Leave aside 1 tablespoon of the fried onions and crush the rest coarsely. Wash and drain disjointed chicken. Place in large bowl. Add saffron and smear ginger/ garlic over meat pieces by tossing it around mean, with spoon. Add yoghurt, tomatoes, spices, fried onions, whole green chillies, sprigs of mint and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, boil black lentils in salted water until finished. Drain off in colander.
4. Boil rice with 2 cardamom and 1 piece cinnamon. The rest of the elachi, etc. must be added to marinating the meat. Rice must be drained when only half done.
5. Fry potatoes to light yellow colour in oil used for frying onions. Remove from oil and set aside.
6. In large flat bottomed pot (2-3 litre size) put in oil that was used for frying,plus half cup of oil. Sprinkle a handful of rice and black lentils over the bottom. Now arrange the marinating chicken and spices carefully over the bottom of the pot. Now spread the black lentils over the chiekn, then the potatoes and then half of the rice. Place peeled hard boiled eggs over rice. Now spread the rest of rice over the eggs. Place the remaining saffron over the top of the rice.
7. Decorate with left- over fried onions, and sprinkle the rest of the oil and half a cup of cold water over the top. Close and seal the pot tightly. Place over high heat for 5 minutes and as soon as it starts sizzling, lower heat and let simmer for 1 hour. By this time all the moisture should have evaporated.

Kittygyal
10-15-2006, 07:00 PM
salam.
whats that cardamom???
w.salam

butterfly+
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
cardamom- http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=319

Kittygyal
10-15-2006, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by butterfly+
salam.
oh i know what you chatting about is it them black seeds:?
oh whats the recipe of that cake you made the one me neice wants?
w.salam

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-15-2006, 07:06 PM
im always in a rush 2 get da food cooked das y ma food alwayz getz burned but its stil yumalicious :D:D

Pk_#2
10-15-2006, 07:09 PM
LOL burnt pizzas in ma party! :(

Kittygyal
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
im always in a rush 2 get da food cooked das y ma food alwayz getz burned but its stil yumalicious :D:D
salam.
aww bless eat black && white food haha ;D
w.salam

butterfly+
Ice Cream Pie
Ingredients

Crust
4 cups crushed cookies
1/2 cup melted margarine

Filling
1 liter chocolate ice cream
1 liter vanilla ice cream
16 ounces whipped cream

Topping
16 ounces whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar

Method:
Crust:.
1. Mix the crushed cookies and butter together. Pat into the bottom of a greased pan.
Filling:.
1. Allow the ice creams to melt a bit.
2. Mix about half the whip cream with the chocolate ice cream. Beat it until smooth. Spread on top of the crust. Place in freezer. It has to be frozen because if you add the other ice cream, it will mix with it.
3. Mix the vanilla ice cream with the rest of the cool whip. Spread it on top of the frozen ice cream. Place in freezer.
Topping:.
1. Beat the whipping cream until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue beating. Spread the whip cream on top of the frozen ice cream pie. Decorate with fudge, nuts and chocolate chips. Place in freezer until frozen and ready to serve.

S_87
10-15-2006, 07:19 PM

biryanis not too bad if you do all the masala from the night before then just cook it on the day :happy:

that ice cream thing sounds lovely

The Ruler
10-15-2006, 07:22 PM

der r similar threads lyk dis init :D

http://www.islamicboard.com/sisters-...hlight=recipes

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...hlight=recipes

:D:D:D

Kittygyal
10-15-2006, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by butterfly+
Ice Cream Pie
Ingredients

Crust
4 cups crushed cookies
1/2 cup melted margarine

Filling
1 liter chocolate ice cream
1 liter vanilla ice cream
16 ounces whipped cream

Topping
16 ounces whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar

Method:
Crust:.
1. Mix the crushed cookies and butter together. Pat into the bottom of a greased pan.
Filling:.
1. Allow the ice creams to melt a bit.
2. Mix about half the whip cream with the chocolate ice cream. Beat it until smooth. Spread on top of the crust. Place in freezer. It has to be frozen because if you add the other ice cream, it will mix with it.
3. Mix the vanilla ice cream with the rest of the cool whip. Spread it on top of the frozen ice cream. Place in freezer.
Topping:.
1. Beat the whipping cream until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue beating. Spread the whip cream on top of the frozen ice cream pie. Decorate with fudge, nuts and chocolate chips. Place in freezer until frozen and ready to serve.

salam.
so is that the one i was talking about:? if YES should tell me sister inlaw to make it for her daughter
w.salam

butterfly+
10-15-2006, 07:26 PM
yep i think thats the one you want.. the ice cream one right?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.