/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instruments

Rabbiyah
12-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Is there a list of halal and haram instruments?
I will say this I remember reading about string instrument (violin) are haram to play. Something I use to play in elementary school when I was younger and didn't know much about the religion I only added this to say that 's what stuck to me abiut one of the instruments being haram if I'm not mistaken I believe it may have been a Hadith.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
12-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Salaam

Musical Instruments are haraam

Halima
12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
:sl:

Here's a fatwa that I've found regarding music and musical instruments. If you read throughly, it may just securely answer your question insh'Allah.

The majority of Muslim scholars prohibit music and musical instruments. It is mentioned in Sahîh al-Bukhâri that Abû Mâlik al-Ash`arî said: “I heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “There will be a group of my people who will legalize for themselves adultery, pure silk, intoxicants, and stringed instruments."

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “I was ordered to avoid two foolish and vile sounds; a sound of a musical tunes and Satan’s musical instruments, and cries made on account of a calamity.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

The only exception to this ruling is the duff, a tambourine without bells, which only women are allowed to use among themselves as an accompaniment to their singing at weddings and on other festive occasions. This was permitted by the Prophet (peace be upon him).

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, otherwise for more information please take a look at this thread

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ed+in+Islam%3F

Barakum Feekum!

Rabbiyah
12-25-2005, 04:19 AM
"Barakum Feekum"
Sister please give me the meaning of the above Quote.
Also I would like to add I listen to music sometimes but not a whole lot for instance I drifted away from listening to the radio because the garbage the play so right now I don't think I,m too hip on what's playing Actually I haven't been putting too much time into listening I may sound a little confusing because I have recently purchase 2 CD's I do realise this is something I shouldn't waste money on Now I actually would rather give sadaqa to the masjid I just visited yesterday as i'm typeing I do remember reading about spend in the way of Allah which makes me think putting into the masjid would be more of a benefit to all of our sisters and brothers in islaam no matter what part of sect we're from which would actually bring onto another topic that i would bring up later okay lots of love to my sisters for responding and for being so helpful Alhum duallah for finding my way to this site props goes to who ever started this site or should I say May ALLAh Bless You and Your family. SALAM WA ALAIKUM.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sanobar
12-25-2005, 04:28 AM
salam!
sister here is what i found regarding music...! some hadiths!]

Hadith - Bukhari 7:494

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:6

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire).

Ibn Masood (ra) said about this verse "I swear by the One other than Whom there is no God that it refers to singing [ghinaa].", and he repeated this three times. Ibn Abbaas (ra) said it refered to 'singing and the like' while Jaabir (ra) is reported to view its meaning to signify singing and listening to songs. Many taabi'oon such as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, Mak-hool and Umar ibn Shu'ayb viewed it as a censure of music and song.

hope they helped!

ma'salamah

Rabbiyah
12-25-2005, 05:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sanobar
salam!
sister here is what i found regarding music...! some hadiths!]

Hadith - Bukhari 7:494

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

The Noble Qur'an - Luqman 31:6

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire).

Ibn Masood (ra) said about this verse "I swear by the One other than Whom there is no God that it refers to singing [ghinaa].", and he repeated this three times. Ibn Abbaas (ra) said it refered to 'singing and the like' while Jaabir (ra) is reported to view its meaning to signify singing and listening to songs. Many taabi'oon such as Mujaahid, Ikrimah, Mak-hool and Umar ibn Shu'ayb viewed it as a censure of music and song.

hope they helped!

ma'salamah
Salams Shuqan for your reply
I wrote down the dilil and Insha Allah I will read it on the trolley on my way to work It's pretty late and I need to be at work at 7am which would require me to wake up most importantly in time for my mourning salat again working on being a better muslim and fighting the laziness in my system So to say all this I better get up at 5 am the latest
good night and salam
ps this site is so interesting I've been on for about 2 hrs it's like I won't allow my self to stop typing Peace sister

hasib
12-26-2005, 07:43 AM

The following was taken from another Islamic forum. Basically I want to know how true this stuff really is??

THE TRUTH BEHIND TODAY'S POPULAR SINGERS & THEIR MUSIC !

Take special note about Maradona !!

Backtracking, or backmasking is the form of inserting hidden messages into tracks which can only be consciously heard when played backwards. Most of the time these messages are inserted purposefully, sometimes by accident, some people even believe that the subconscious can actually pick up these messages. But the nature of the backtracked messages in many modern pop songs is so sinister as to leave no doubt to the intentions and affiliations of these singers. The following are examples of such cases where the backward lyrics seem to fit the suggestions:

You will need RealPlayer to in order to listen to these clips. If you don't have it you must first download and install Real Audio Player

MICHAEL JACKSON:

Beat It: Forward: '(indecipherable gibberish) so beat it!' Reverse: 'I do believe it was Satan in me.'

Forward: 'You better run, you better do what you can, don't wanna see some blood don't be a macho man.'
Dangerous

Reverse: 'S-a-t-a-n. S-a-y (indecipherable gibberish) People all worship.'

Morphine: Forward: 'This won't hurt you..'

Reverse: 'O Satan!'

Man in the Mirror: Forward: 'I'm starting with the man in the mirror, I'm asking if he'll change his way.'

Reverse: 'Come on. Yeah Satan, yeah, just like me exact.'

Comments: Michael Jackson is probably the most successful musician in history, but does he hold a dark secret? It is interesting to note that many major musicians have had close ties with Aleister Crowley, a Satanist well known to the occult. Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' album (right) has the face of an old man in a suit (bottom right hand corner), fitting the description of Crowley himself. The cover of the Beatles album Sgt. Pepper has many faces and one of them looking similar to Crowley.

MADONNA:

Like a Prayer: Forward: 'Life is a mystery.'

Reverse: 'O hear our savior Satan.'

Comments: Madonna is well known for her extravagant and unique style of music, but there are mysterious freemasonic elements in one of her videos. In one scene, the symbol of freemasonry, the all seeing one eye is seen coming out of Madonna's forehead. She is also seen dancing on some writing; closer examination shows that this writing is Arabic, the language of the Qur'an.

mehnaz
12-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Salaam,

:phew :phew :phew ...i have no idea...but that does gimme the creepss!!!...:-\ :-\ :-\

W'salaam

Rukayat
12-26-2005, 08:18 AM
I know that listening to music is haram but what if you're at a place where the music is being played....i.e. in school when having music lesson or when others are listening to music .... what should we do?

Ghazi
12-26-2005, 08:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hasib

The following was taken from another Islamic forum. Basically I want to know how true this stuff really is??

THE TRUTH BEHIND TODAY'S POPULAR SINGERS & THEIR MUSIC !

Take special note about Maradona !!

Backtracking, or backmasking is the form of inserting hidden messages into tracks which can only be consciously heard when played backwards. Most of the time these messages are inserted purposefully, sometimes by accident, some people even believe that the subconscious can actually pick up these messages. But the nature of the backtracked messages in many modern pop songs is so sinister as to leave no doubt to the intentions and affiliations of these singers. The following are examples of such cases where the backward lyrics seem to fit the suggestions:

You will need RealPlayer to in order to listen to these clips. If you don't have it you must first download and install Real Audio Player

MICHAEL JACKSON:

Beat It: Forward: '(indecipherable gibberish) so beat it!' Reverse: 'I do believe it was Satan in me.'

Forward: 'You better run, you better do what you can, don't wanna see some blood don't be a macho man.'
Dangerous

Reverse: 'S-a-t-a-n. S-a-y (indecipherable gibberish) People all worship.'

Morphine: Forward: 'This won't hurt you..'

Reverse: 'O Satan!'

Man in the Mirror: Forward: 'I'm starting with the man in the mirror, I'm asking if he'll change his way.'

Reverse: 'Come on. Yeah Satan, yeah, just like me exact.'

Comments: Michael Jackson is probably the most successful musician in history, but does he hold a dark secret? It is interesting to note that many major musicians have had close ties with Aleister Crowley, a Satanist well known to the occult. Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' album (right) has the face of an old man in a suit (bottom right hand corner), fitting the description of Crowley himself. The cover of the Beatles album Sgt. Pepper has many faces and one of them looking similar to Crowley.

MADONNA:

Like a Prayer: Forward: 'Life is a mystery.'

Reverse: 'O hear our savior Satan.'

Comments: Madonna is well known for her extravagant and unique style of music, but there are mysterious freemasonic elements in one of her videos. In one scene, the symbol of freemasonry, the all seeing one eye is seen coming out of Madonna's forehead. She is also seen dancing on some writing; closer examination shows that this writing is Arabic, the language of the Qur'an.

True Bro, its down to the freemasons

Ghazi
12-26-2005, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rukayat
I know that listening to music is haram but what if you're at a place where the music is being played....i.e. in school when having music lesson or when others are listening to music .... what should we do?

If it's not intentionally then there's no harm in it.

Rukayat
12-26-2005, 08:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

If it's not intentionally then there's no harm in it.
:w:

Thanks alot for the info Akhi.

Peace.

hasib
12-26-2005, 10:29 AM

Yes but the thing is this all true or just made up stuff to cause mischeif??

I heard some songs in backwards and i'm really saying i didnt hear anything as they have said here in the article so i dont know..

Halima
12-26-2005, 07:05 PM

Threads merged here.

afriend
12-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Urm....Well if you say that then how do you explain when Rasoolullah(saw) conquered makkah there were drummers. And i hav proof of that, look it up on any seereah book. Also, giving false judgements causes a lot of fitnah.

Sorry about being so harsh in my words but it must be said that we must not jump to conclusions when we have no knowledge!

Wasalam!

so0x0xsweet
02-17-2006, 01:32 AM
if only i knew what haram ment.. well if it mean corrupt or w.e i think thats a little um..strange.. its an instrument.. upon which u can make beautiful music to worship God

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.