/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kenyan Muslims Perform Hajj Despite Restrictions

sonz
12-24-2005, 05:51 PM
"Immigration officers wanted me to bring them a national identity card belonging to my grand-father who died several years ago as proof of my citizenship before they could process my passport," Khalid Mohamed, a 34-year-old businessman, told IslamOnline.net on Saturday, December 24.

He said it broke his heart that he would be unable to travel with other pilgrims because the Immigration Department could not process his passport on time though he has gone through a two-month verification process.

It has been difficult for many Kenyan Muslims to go on hajj in view of restrictions imposed by the government on people traveling to Mideast countries, especially those with Arab origin, since the bombing of American Embassy in Nairobi in 1989 and the 2002 bombing of Mombasa Paradise Hotel, according to IOL correspondent.

Since the attacks, the authorities have tightened travel regulations outside the country allegedly to curb further attacks.

Kenyan Muslims make up around ten percent of the country's 30 million population.

Bureaucracy

A number of Muslims intending to travel to Saudi Arabia for hajj have raised concerns over bureaucracy and discriminations against Muslim.

They urged the authorities to remove tough conditions required before one gets travel documents.

Salim Mwinyi, a businessman in Mombasa, regretted he had to give up his hajj dream this year for the same reason.

"After several trips to the Immigration Department headquarters in Nairobi with the hope of traveling on pilgrimage this year, I was surprised that my passport could not be proposed until early next year on reasons I am yet to be told of."

The Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims (SUPKEM) has also complained of increasing cases of people being denied or delayed from getting their travel documents.

"There are some applicants who asked for the travel documents for months ago and only got them last week," Sharrif Hussien Omar, SUPKEM National Organizing Secretary, told IOL.

He appealed to the Kenya government to make it easy for pilgrims to secure passports to avoid last minute rush.

The Immigration Department has been reluctant to explain why many Muslims were complaining over delay to issue them with travel documents.

Immigration and Registration of Persons Assistant Minister Anania Mwaboza told IOL the government was seriously looking into complaints from Muslims.

He denied that the local Muslims were being subjected to harsh regulations before they could be issued passports.

"People should not connect the war the government is waging against terrorism with Muslims affairs. What we are trying to do is to ensure safety of all our citizens," he argued.

First Batch

Two hundred and fifty Kenyan Muslims on Friday, December 23, began leaving the country for Saudi Arabia.

They are among a group of two thousand Kenyan Muslims who will take the spiritual journey this year, with an increase of five hundred from last year.

"Others would travel piecemeal until January 3 when the last delegation will leave," Omar said.

He added that hajj is being co-organized by the Kenyan hajj mission, SUPKEM, travel agencies and Saudi authorities.

Hajj consists of several ceremonies, meant to symbolize the essential concepts of the Islamic faith, and to commemorate the trials of Prophet Abraham and his family.

Every able-bodied adult Muslim who can financially afford the trip must perform hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, once in their lifetime.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

wow subhan Allaah! i cant believe a muslim countries making it harder for the muslims to perform hajj.. :(

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

sapphire
12-24-2005, 06:26 PM
OMG!!!!!what is the world comming to!!!!!!we should be freee to perform Hajj when we like....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.