/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim girl as Xmen character ...

solid_snake
12-25-2005, 05:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_%28comics%29

Dust (real name Sooraya Qadir) is a fictional character, a mutant in the Marvel Universe. She is one of the student body in the Xavier Institute, and a member of the Hellions squad therein.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
akulion
12-25-2005, 05:34 AM
salam alaikum
cool
when is the next X-men coming out? any idea?

wonders if she will be in it :D

solid_snake
12-25-2005, 05:35 AM
she won't be

here's the list of characters that will be:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0376994/fullcredits

akulion
12-25-2005, 06:58 AM
salam alaikum

cool i love X-Men its one of the "better movies" out there

also loved spider man 2 :D what a 'touching' end lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bronumba1
12-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Dust (real name Sooraya Qadir) is a fictional character, a mutant in the Marvel Universe. She is one of the student body in the Xavier Institute, and a member of the Hellions squad therein.

Dust first appeared in New X-Men #133 (2002). She was created by Grant Morrison and Ethan Van Sciver, though it wasn't until she appeared in the New X-Men: Academy X series, written by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, that her character was truly developed.

Dust is an adolescent Sunni Muslim who possesses the mutant power to turn herself into a sand-like substance. Born in Afghanistan, she was rescued by the X-Men's Wolverine from a slave-trading ring and sent to the Xavier Institute in Westchester County, New York. Quiet and nervous, she has experienced difficulty adapting to her new surroundings - particularly after being given the loud and rebellious Surge as a roommate. She is currently a member of the Hellions squad.
[edit]

Powers

Dust can turn herself into a cloud of a sand-like substance, and (under normal circumstances) control where this cloud goes, before reforming at will. At times she can move so fast in the dust form that she can strip the flesh from her enemys bones.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...XHellions2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Dust2.PNG

sonz
12-25-2005, 02:26 PM
i dont think thats good

bronumba1
12-25-2005, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
i dont think thats good
did you check out the links below!

akulion
12-25-2005, 02:36 PM
this topic was already posted by bro solid...can someone merge the threads? insha'Allah

Umu 'Isa
12-25-2005, 02:40 PM
what the.... thats not right

Far7an
12-25-2005, 03:04 PM
:sl:

this topic was already posted by bro solid...can someone merge the threads? insha'Allah
Done, jazakallahu khairan.

azim
12-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Just out of curiosity - why don't some of you think it's right.

The character doesnt really exist, and it's defaming Islam at all. Rather it's probably giving a positive view on the hijab - one that most people who read the comics otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

It's nothing huge, just a small character in a small comic. But at least its positive.

Ghazi
12-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Salaam

Well making images which are animated and repersent people is haraam.

akulion
12-25-2005, 03:17 PM
true @ islam-truth

even one site i saw Hamza the Muslim Kid and I was wondering "how can this animated kid spread Islam when its against the teachings of Islam"

Allah knows best - he guides people in anyway he wants

azim
12-25-2005, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

Well making images which are animated and repersent people is haraam.
Ah, thas a good point. I didn't think about it like that.

I know theres a difference of opinion about drawing, but to error on the side of caution is better I guess.

On the other hand, it's not muslims who are drawing or animating. These comics are gnna be around regardless, a strong muslim niqaabi in one of them is still a form of dawah.

Ghazi
12-25-2005, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Ah, thas a good point. I didn't think about it like that.

I know theres a difference of opinion about drawing, but to error on the side of caution is better I guess.

On the other hand, it's not muslims who are drawing or animating. These comics are gnna be around regardless, a strong muslim niqaabi in one of them is still a form of dawah.
Salaam

I see where your coming from, but remeber a sin is a sin no matter how good the intention.

solid_snake
12-25-2005, 03:46 PM
more info:

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Dust.html

Since the creation of the character, Dust has always been portrayed as a devout Sunni Muslim from Afghanistan. As a voluntary part of her faith, she always wears a burqa when in public.

- Qatada -
12-25-2005, 06:40 PM
:wasalamex

I got a strong feeling shes going to start off with a abaya/burka and be proper modest.. and gradually they'll make her more westernized and she'll be open infront of men and everything.

You ask why they may have done it - and its obvious they've made a muslim character so the muslims view it and then get affected by it. And theres probably going to be a bad influence on the muslims through this..

I personally dont like the idea..

wa Allaahu a'lam.

:salamext:

Bittersteel
12-25-2005, 06:57 PM
^exactly bro.

Muezzin
12-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I think it's a flippin' miracle to have a couple of non-Muslim dudes creating this devout female Muslim character, who wears the burqa for all the right reasons. If nothing else, it educates comic book readers on the true reasons for this particular Islamic ruling, rather than the negative media hype from the likes of Fox News.

I don't think they'd change the character's dress code so she's more 'Western'. It doesn't fit with the ethos of the 'X-Men' stories, which is acceptance.

*charisma*
12-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Her "islamic" outfit, seems a bit tight and body forming
and she kinda looks evil...
and adding to what bro fi sabilillah said, she might go through some freaky stuff, which wud make her viewed as evil or something,

and then again they might make ppl's views a bit lighter upon the Islamic world,

either way its going to brew some curiousity about Islam

allahu 'alem

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Bittersteel
12-26-2005, 05:48 PM
no Muezzin they are gonna make her marry a US soldier who has killed some Talibans.I know the United States.anyways this shows how westerns are highly addicted to Muslim women.

Muezzin
12-26-2005, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Her "islamic" outfit, seems a bit tight and body forming
To be fair, that's probably so you can make out the shape of the character. Otherwise it'd just look like a big black shape on the page. ;)

and she kinda looks evil...
Name me a woman that isn't evil.

That was a joke. :p

and adding to what bro fi sabilillah said, she might go through some freaky stuff, which wud make her viewed as evil or something,
Hey, this is comics - if she goes evil, she'll be good by the next issue. She'll also probably never ever die.

either way its going to brew some curiousity about Islam
For the better, I hope.

no Muezzin they are gonna make her marry a US soldier who has killed some Talibans.
Erm... okay.

I know the United States.
Comic book writers are not indicative of the United States as a whole ;)

anyways this shows how westerns are highly addicted to Muslim women.
Aren't we all?

That was another joke, don't ban me.

azim
12-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Lol to Meuzzin. I can't rep you tho, gotta spread it around like manure on a farmyard.

I agree though, this isn't a bad thing. I would suggest us Muslims make our own comics, but that probably is a bit boardline haram. It could have been very good though. They can have super-powers like fast growing beards and invisibility thobes. There can the Masjid Muadhan who's tone death and thinks tajweed grows in his backgarden that paralyses people when he sings. The comic relief could be the Mayor of whichever city it's set in, who turns up every episode to give the same speech about cultural diversity etc.. only to be killed in each issue in a variety of gruesome ways.

Or maybe not...

*charisma*
12-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

To be fair, that's probably so you can make out the shape of the character. Otherwise it'd just look like a big black shape on the page.;)
oh yes cuz god forbid she wont have curves, cuz the long eyelashes and rings on her fingers arent enough to make her look like a woman....

That was a joke.:p
o000oo00o0h and ur lucky it was :anger:

Hey, this is comics - if she goes evil, she'll be good by the next issue. She'll also probably never ever die.
yea, but i wonder if and when she does die, wud they make her say the shahada lol :p, serious im curious

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

*charisma*
12-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Lol to Meuzzin. I can't rep you tho, gotta spread it around like manure on a farmyard.

I agree though, this isn't a bad thing. I would suggest us Muslims make our own comics, but that probably is a bit boardline haram. It could have been very good though. They can have super-powers like fast growing beards and invisibility thobes. There can the Masjid Muadhan who's tone death and thinks tajweed grows in his backgarden that paralyses people when he sings. The comic relief could be the Mayor of whichever city it's set in, who turns up every episode to give the same speech about cultural diversity etc.. only to be killed in each issue in a variety of gruesome ways.

Or maybe not...
thats some imagination hehe....
and what wud they do with their fast growing beards bro?? wud the beards be retardant to fire?

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

azim
12-27-2005, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

thats some imagination hehe....
and what wud they do with their fast growing beards bro?? wud the beards be retardant to fire?

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
What do you mean what would they do with fast growing beards?

One second its a mano-a-mano stand off between Fast-Growing-Beard Man and some Misc. enemy, BOOM!, next minute its a tangle of hair with no escape.

solid_snake
12-27-2005, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar
no Muezzin they are gonna make her marry a US soldier who has killed some Talibans.I know the United States.anyways this shows how westerns are highly addicted to Muslim women.
trust me ... as a fellow Bengali ... guys of color (black, brown etc) are WAY too addicted to western white girls ... and think of sinful thoughts and look at sinful pics and videos of western girls and want to get a western girl as a gf/wife.

afriend
12-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Well you're gonna expect that from some people...Don't mean to be rude but not every1 is such a good muslim nowadays. But off-course we must do our best to warn against these actions. But at the end of the day it is all in Allah's hands as it says in the Qura'an:

"...Allah guides who he wills and leads astray who he wills.." Surah Baqarah, Part 3.

Nawid
12-28-2005, 07:28 AM
She turns into sand? Does anyone else see that as kind of racist?

Muezzin
12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawid
She turns into sand? Does anyone else see that as kind of racist?
Then I guess the character of Magneto is racist too. He's Jewish and can manipulate metal. Obviously an insult to all the Jewish jewellers out there. :p

Don't play the race card too easily. ;)

minaz
12-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Muezzin's on a role today with his jokes, everyone give him some reps, or even better report him to the police (and i'll give YOU reps)

Andaraawus
12-28-2005, 10:16 PM

:sl: i dont know what to make of this

possibly a good thing or a bad thing - what do people think....is there any possibility of a child converting to Islam after growing up with this character in mind ? Allah knows best soo see this link ....

and express http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_%28comics%29

personally i feel i dunno ??? confused !

aamirsaab
12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Already posted here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...tml#post136260

*charisma*
12-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

lol another one subhanallah hehe

MODS*:shade:* MERGE THREADS!! inshallah

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Andaraawus
12-28-2005, 10:25 PM
i see that this one has received alot of attention

minaz
12-28-2005, 10:34 PM
all in the name of .... MERGE!

Andaraawus
12-28-2005, 10:45 PM
As-salamu Alaykum ....i am planning to move to leister wasalams

Halima
12-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Threads merged.

I stongly advice you to search before posting the same topic.

Jazakhallah Khair.

:w:

minaz
12-28-2005, 10:57 PM
As-salamu Alaykum ....i am planning to move to leister wasalams
Yes Leicester is great, we can go round brother Muezzin's house and watch his DVD collection which he steals new titles weekly from the Library. Anywho this is off topic and I think we should all get back on X-men Muslim girl - not literally

sonz
01-14-2006, 04:33 PM
more about the muslim xmen character and some pictures

more
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Dust.html

chk what they wrote at the bottom

For various opinions about Dust posted on an online Muslim discussion board, see:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...character.html

were famous!!!! lol

Bittersteel
01-15-2006, 05:04 AM
[BANANA]MUEZZIN[/BANANA]

Hey WE ARE FAMOUS!

tRiButE
01-15-2006, 09:41 AM
well, i dont care much, thats her problem
but the part i do care is that she is discrediting the title of a 'muslim woman'
she might obviously know the penalty for that,
shez askin 4 it

Malaikah
01-15-2006, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aeysha Fawmey
well, i dont care much, thats her problem
but the part i do care is that she is discrediting the title of a 'muslim woman'
she might obviously know the penalty for that,
shez askin 4 it
salam.. i think you missunderstood, its not a real person, but an actual character in the comic series

tRiButE
01-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Assalmualaikum
Hey, thanks,
i sure misunderstood it,
i shoul've read it more carefully,
well then if shez actually a catoon character/ chracter in a comic series,
i really don't care anyway.
but then its a bad idea, for the Muslim youngstes growin up, with these kinda nonsense
anyway thanks again, for takin time 2 correct ma mistake

AHFG
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
salam.. i think you missunderstood, its not a real person, but an actual character in the comic series

Blue_Moon
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar
[BANANA]MUEZZIN[/BANANA]

Hey WE ARE FAMOUS!

:sl: are you nuts....... they are makeing fun of us. you say we are famous:muddlehea. i think not:rollseyes they are makeing fun of the:Koran: .

ps:it will be good if this was:threadclo .

pss::sl: :rose:

:cresentbl :peace:

Muhammad
01-15-2006, 09:48 PM

Due to the off-topic discussion, I think it's best the thread is closed :).

I think the point brother Islam_Man was making was that he felt these people were degrading Islam by incorporating a Muslim character into the series.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.