/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Online Fatwas - how reliable are they?

akulion
12-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Salam Alaikum
A question that has ALWAYS bugged me is "How valid are online fatwas?"

After all if we think about it ANYONE can set up a site and put a name like

Sheikh Abdullah Qadir Al Saudis II of Saudia Arabia or something and start passing fatwas with some research from here and there.

How do we know these sites are authentic?

Would their Fatwas be LEGALLY permissible in a Sharia Court?

Who are the people behind the names?

Who are the people running these sites?

These are some of the issues which always make me very weary of online Fatwa sites!

What do you think?
Any opinions?
Any advice?

Jazak Allah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rukayat
12-26-2005, 12:19 PM
:sl:
Brother I also doubt online information so I always had this question......but anyways what i think about online info about Islam is that probably it's true but we should NOT only relie on the info we read online....we should discuss about the info with our parents or other relatives as well instead of believing it right away..

Peace.

Khaldun
12-26-2005, 12:26 PM

One good thing to do, is to have one site that you know is realiable and stick to it. Another way would ofcourse be to ask a shaikh in real person.

Sanobar
12-26-2005, 01:45 PM
salaam!
i had the same doubt....but theres just one site i regularly visit for questions.....! and it is good!:) reliable enuff!

ma'salamah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Halima
12-26-2005, 03:21 PM

If I want to have a point that I would like to make or if I'm in a debate, I always back it up with either a fatwa, Hadith, or an ayah. That is what one is supposed to do anyways before they can go and accuse someone else of not having valid evidence to prove what they are really saying is indeed not false. Furthermore, if one sticks to a specific website like I do, then it will be easier and it doesn't take a whole lot of time just trying to prove you point one website after the other.

:w:

S_87
12-26-2005, 04:06 PM

well always make sure u get daleel along with your answers. and when in doubt check it up.
my personal favorite is islamqa. always gives reason and daleel for his replies

- Qatada -
12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
:salamext:

I only agree to a imam/sheikh if they got any evidence from the qur'an or sunnah.. we have to keep in mind that the hadith or ayah they put in is reliable and not misinterpreted or even made up.. like bro khaldun said - i stick to two main sites, and thats islamonline and islam q&a.

:wasalamex

Far7an
12-26-2005, 05:08 PM

Those sites which I do use, are only of those 'Ulema which I know. I have to agree with zAk...

offline fatawas r quite enuf for me :-\
:thumbs_up

safwana
12-26-2005, 05:44 PM

i no of 1 online fatwas whichis correct because i no they are eligable scholars in england.

www.daruliftaa.com

i no of others but i dont the website.

if you go on links on this website u will find others which are correct to.

mehnaz
12-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Salaam,

i dont browse every islamic site on the net...there are just a few i know are authentic....like our own LI here...then therez ask-imam.com.....muttaqun.com.....

Z
12-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Salaam.

Offline or online, it's important to note the Aqeeda of the Scholars giving the Fatwaa. Some people interpret Hadith differently to others. Therefore it's not about the evidence given, as some other Scholars may view the evidence to be out of question.

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-26-2005, 06:49 PM
An excellent resource for fatawa is http://www.IslamToday.com as the site itself is supervised by a committee of shuyukh and it has a wide range of contributors.

akulion
12-26-2005, 08:44 PM
salam alaikum

Jazak Allah khair for all the advice and the wonderful sites - I'll be sure to visit anf bookmark them.

The only problem that remains for me with online Fatwas is that there is no way to "contest" them.

For example here in Pakistan, my some guy got a Fatwa from a mufti against my uncle on some property issues. It was presented in the court ofcourse but my uncle was able to contest or challenge that fatwa and have it over ruled by the sharia court judge on valid grounds.

So I found it very interesting and quite impressive basically because of the amount of debate and stuff in the court.
Really interesting stuff!

Unfortunately for all of us we dont have an islamic state and it breaks my heart truly :( otherwise we would not have to face all this confusion.

May Allah swt give us a khilifat and a good khilifa sometime soon ameen!

Rabi'ya
12-26-2005, 09:02 PM

regarding some of the above mentioned websites. Inthe past ave found differing information in some of them. And it annoys me when the answeres are not always backed up with hadith or Quraan. I will, as someone else sed, only accept it if accompanied by a hadith or Quraan extract:)

Rabi'ya:rose:

S_87
12-27-2005, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
An excellent resource for fatawa is http://www.IslamToday.com as the site itself is supervised by a committee of shuyukh and it has a wide range of contributors.

yh i use this site a lot an all.
its safe :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.