/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim kids not missing out

sonz
12-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Faisal Joseph's three young children didn't wake up yesterday morning to find presents from Santa under the tree.

Nor did the smiley youngsters partake in the lighting of the menorah to signal the first night of Hanukkah.

In the Joseph family's north London home, there was no menorah or tree, because the Muslim family doesn't celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah.

But though some might assume Iman, 6, Jameela, 7, and Shareef, 9, would feel left out as their Christian and Jewish friends celebrated, they weren't troubled at all.

"I don't mind because we have celebrations of our own," said Shareef, 9, who sipped hot chocolate with marshmallows.

"Two of our own," he added with a smile, citing Ramadan and Eid festivities that are special for Muslim children the way Christmas is for Christian kids.

"I feel happy for my friends," Iman chimed in. "And I have friends who celebrate the same things as me."

Even surrounded by holiday hype on every front, the kids take their differences in stride, their father said.

Recently, Iman told him some of her Masonville public school classmates felt sorry for her because she wouldn't receive Christmas presents.

"She told me, 'I feel sorry for them, because they don't have Eid,' " Joseph said, laughing.

Though the Joseph kids don't feel alienated during the holiday season, a recent proposal by a national Muslim organization aims to soften the blow for those who do.

The Islamic Supreme Council of Canada is initiating a new festival for Muslims that will give them something to celebrate while other Canadians participate in Christmas, Hanukkah or the African Kwanzaa.

The Da'wa festival -- which will take place during the last 11 days of December -- will give Muslims cause for celebration when rotating Eid and Ramadan festivities don't fall in the holiday season.

"Our kids have a lot of questions," said Syed Soharwardy, president of the council. "Deep in their hearts, they feel there is nothing for them in the holiday season."

Da'wa, an Arabic word, means to reach out, invite and express goodwill, he said.

"This will bring people together and make sure nobody feels left out during the holiday season," he said. "Muslims are happy for our neighbours who are happy and celebrating, but why don't we have our own thing to be happy about?"

The festival will encourage Muslims to embrace their heritage rather than adapt to traditions of other faiths, he said.

"If we don't give (Muslims) an alternative (to Christmas or Hanukkah), then they'll go to whatever is available in the marketplace," he said.

But the Joseph family said creating a festival for Muslims during the holiday season isn't necessary, because its aims -- goodwill toward others and communication -- are already undertaken by Muslims.

"We don't need a festival to do those things," Joseph said.

"We already have our celebrations and if we make them significant, then our kids won't feel left out or sad during the holidays."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabi'ya
12-27-2005, 10:31 PM
"She told me, 'I feel sorry for them, because they don't have Eid,' " Joseph said, laughing.
MashAllah, kids are cute!!

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

azim
12-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Mmmm....Dawah Festival? What's wrong with Eid?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.