/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reviving the Islamic Spirit Conference Aftermath

Noor
12-27-2005, 04:13 AM
:sl:

Dear brothers and sisters,

An event took place in Toronto, Canada where thousands of North Americans came for a sole purpose. That purpose was to revive their Islamic spirits! By the will of Allah Alimighty the Muslims that attended the conference have in fact revived their spirits to an unfamiliar yet superior altitude.
Alhamdulillahi rabbil alamin!!!

The theme of the convention was Islamic Civilization.

Muslims of Canada and our neighbours down south had the opportunity to listen to lectures by eminent shoyook. This list of remarkable speakers includes :Dr.Zakir Naik, Hamza Yusuf, Sulaiman Mulla, Abdullah Adhami, Dr. Jamal Badawi, Dr. Ingrid Mattson, Muhammed AlShareef, Dr. Munir ElKassem, Riyadh Ul Haq, Abdallah Bin Bayyah,Tareq Suwaidan,Ms. Atalla Shabazz, Dr. Omar Abdel Kafi , Zaid Shakir. Also, we aslo had the priviledge to listen to Quranic recitations by renowned Qari Mohammad Jebril .

Before I continue with my thoughts on the convention, I would like to give others who have attended to give their feedback. That would be greatly appreciated.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hissa
12-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Did anyone here attend the reviving the islamic spirit conference in Toronto? I did and mashAllah it was awesome. Although I liked last years conference a little better. I personally think the theme last year was a little more interesting, but alhamullilah this year was great as well.
What did you guys think about ris? Those who went.. i mean. :sister:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Threads merged.

Noor
12-28-2005, 05:35 AM

Feedback Time: This year's theme was the Islamic Civilization. i didn't take notes so i'm hoping the other sisters who attended can add some more to this or share with us their experience.

Best day for me was Friday, I hardly noticed the time passing as the speakers and sheikhs were captivating their audience with their knowledge and sincere efforts in reviving our islamic spirit. Although Tariq, Zaid shakir and Zakir Naik were great as always, I have found a new favorite to add to my list of all-stars sheikhs. Imam Riyad al Haq from the Uk was not scheduled to speak on friday but took over at a moment's notice when one of the speakers couldn't make it, he was both eloquent in his delivery as well as captivating, and all from the top of his head since he didn't plan on speaking. Yet his speech was much more organized and well thought out than some who had time to put it together. His basic message was that as muslims, there are more requirements of us than simply doing the bare minimum requirements (5 pillars-praying, zakat, hajj, etc). He pointed out the fact that we overlook other things that must also be done in order to dwell in heaven for all eternity, such as taking care of our neighbors (muslims or otherwise), guarding our tongues (backbiting), our bodies (from zina), greed, and envy, purging all those from our hearts. He pointed out that it's a common misconception when ppl say that to in order to complete half of our deen one must marry, when in fact, it is guarding our morality and our bodies from committing zina that is half our deen. Marriage is simply a way for us to guard ourselves from temptation, and that the other half is guarding our tongue from slander, as backbiting is more heinous than adultery.

Riyad mentioned a hadith about a woman who was well known and respected by the companions and the ppl at the time of the Prophet (saw), who was extreme in her religion, she prayed all the time, read the quran and was extremely devoted, and when one person commented to the Prophet how this woman was great, he said that there is one thing holding her back from heaven and it being that she was neglectful to her neighbors. Her inability to socialize and take care of the sick and visit friends who may have needed her help, detracted from her deen as she lost sight of what it is to be muslim.Similarily, there was another woman who was more balanced in her deen, meaning that she didn't need to be extreme in her devotion like the other, giving her time to attend to her neighbors, visit sick friends, etc, and that was her ticket to heaven. His point being that we need to strike a balance and not be caught up in one thing while neglecting all that is required of us as muslims, even though we may think that it's not so great a sin.

Tariq spoke about the contributions of muslims to the Europeans (ex.bathing) and that civilization was not in the infrastructure nor in the arts, music, etc, but that civilization was found in the ppl.

Ms. Shabaz, malcom x's daughter talked about how ppl didn't know that her father had family from egypt, caribbean, states,a product of mixed heritage, therefore Islam wasn't a foreign concept to him as the religion and culture were practiced by his ancestors, a fact not well known. When he went back to Islam, it was simply to reaffirm what he already knew and it was just his time to accept the message. One thing I found funny was that she stated that O.J. Simpson had converted to islam.

Zakir Naik talked about apologetic muslims, who come out and speak against 9/11 and the London bombings, as they should, but he challenged them that in the same breath that they are condemning those terror acts, they should also condemn the millions of muslims being slaughtered daily in Palestine, India, Chechnya, etc. He also embraced the words that the west would use against us, such as fundamentalist, terrorist, extremist, in this way. He said we should be proud to tell ppl we are extremists, because our deen calls for us to be extremely kind, extremely giving to the poor, etc, using the words in ways that empowers us and giving it a new meaning from what the west would have others believe. Zakir also said that the west looks down on us as being a barbaric religion in terms of our rules, such as if one steals, cut of his hand and if one rapes, kill them. He then went on to say, if these countries implemented any of these rules, such as cutting a robbers hand, the rate of theft would go down considerably, and if all rapists were put to death, the stats would also decrease as well. He pointed out the double standards of the west, when asked, if someone rapes your mom or sister, relative, what would u like to have happen to them, and they all answered death, and yet when there is such a law in islam, they look down upon it. Zakir also mentioned that the hijab helps women to be more free in society and less likely to be raped, and the men also have their hijab, being covered from navel to knee, and to also guard their modesty and lower their gaze. No wonder I like him, he wasn't simply addressing women as most are prone to, he also reminded the men their part.

The lectures on Saturday was also very beneficial. One that I will never forget is Suliman Mulla's speech about avoiding bankruptcy. This is when one is put forth on the Day of judgement before Allah with great amount of good deeds but because they back bitted or spoke a rude word against someone, they will left will no good deeds. And when their deeds are taken from them, the bad deeds of others that they have offended will be placed upon them. SubhanAllah.

Sunday was ok, I was disappointed that Zakir Naik repeated some elements of his lecture of last yr again this yr.Such as what to say to an atheist and show them proof of Islam being the only and true religion and that in fact God did exist.

Omar abdel Kafi (i think it was him) spoke about the purification of the heart from evil deeds, such as pride, arrogance, greed, envy, and that anyone with an ounce of pride believing they are better than others, that they can do no wrong and do not acknowlege when they are wrong are headed for hellfire and won't be allowed in the gates on heaven.

One thing that marred the conference was that someone had stolen the tags to get in from a volunteer and sold them out in the parking lot, this along with many ppl who snuck in, amounted them to lose about 100,000, and when they announced what happened, ppl showed their solidarity and generosity by donating money, writing checks, and a woman even donated her gold.

Monday's concert with the nasheeds that was to benefit the ppl who were affected in the pakistani earthquake was great, especially Native Deen and Raihan who I had the chance to meet.

I'm hoping that in the following years, one of the themes could be the great women of Islam, their contribution to the religion, the wives of the prophet and I'm also hoping that more female speakers would be invited.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
solid_snake
12-28-2005, 05:41 AM
this was in toronto? I missed it :(

Bittersteel
12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
oh so many great sheikhs and qaris and Mullahs?why aren't these people doing something for the Islamic world or refuting secular humanists?

Noor
12-28-2005, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar
oh so many great sheikhs and qaris and Mullahs?why aren't these people doing something for the Islamic world or refuting secular humanists?

You clearly do not know what you are talking about. Might I suggest that change begins with the individual, and that the one who so easily points out fault is the one most blameworthy.

*!~Faith~!*
12-28-2005, 11:12 PM
So much for Mokhtar Maghroui :( ahh theres always next year. Well I missed the majority of the lectures cuz I was volunteering here and there but its all good. Insha'Allah i'll just watch them on dvd. For the lectures I did manage to catch was Amaaaaziiiinggggggg!! mashallah. It truly revived my spirit ;)

The whole badges being stolen and sold was simply heartbreaking news..but to see the Muslims donating ever so generously brought joy to my heart..it was truly a test from Allah (swt) is the way I see it.

Zakir Naik just continues to amaze me conference after conference..mashallah..he just leaves me in awe, especially when he states chapter name, number and verse one after the other...subhanallah its amazing how he knows the quran, bible, torah and the hindu's holy books inside out.

Muhammad Al-Shareef was the man! hehe...he made his almaghrib students soo proud. His lecture reminded me of the almaghrib class and how I better start studying soon lol, but wow...it shook me.

By having conference as this Br.Abrar, you could change the persepective of one person, or inspire that one person to become a better person and do good for the Ummah. You have no idea how many people I know who benefitted and changed sooooo much due to things like these. So don't attack these people, because they are doing good for the muslim world and society as whole.

*!~Faith~!*
12-28-2005, 11:15 PM
I forgot to add...Muhammad Jebril's recitation, ahhhh mannn..mashallah mashallah so calm and peaceful :peace:

libyanhero
12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Mashallah the people there is overwhelming,Tabarak Allah. Islamic Civilization is a boring theme lol even though I went for some reason I think of Islamic Civilization as Islamic History. I rarely sat down this year lol I was all over last year I sat for every lecture but this year i was a buzzing bee only Omer Abdul Kafy I was there, Tariq Suwaidan only two of his lectures but I have no idea what he actually was saying lol and who else shaykh muhammad jebril has a beautiful recitation anyways I passed time quick, I think I wont be having any memories for this RIS. As sister Hissa said last years was much better. Oh yah and Zakir Naik that guy Mashallah is the living computer lol

hissa
12-28-2005, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by libyanhero
Oh yah and Zakir Naik that guy Mashallah is the living computer lol
lol... living computer? I say more of a living encyclopedia...heheheehehe.. ok i'll stop now. :D

solid_snake
12-29-2005, 04:28 AM
what location did this take place? is another one taking place next year?

Noor
12-29-2005, 05:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by solid_snake
what location did this take place? is another one taking place next year?

CNE grounds, National Trade Building. Its a little too late now, the conference is over. So inshaAllah next year, around the same time, you'll be able to come.

Anyways if you are looking for something similar, Hamza Yusuf and Zaid Shakir are doing something in the next couple of days.

EVENTS

Type: Fundraiser
Title: Shaykh Hamza Yusuf: Reflections on Medinah the Radiant
Date: 12/30/2005
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Speakers: Shaykh Hamza Yusuf,
Suitability: Men, Women, Youth, Non-Muslim, New Muslim
Contact Info: info@ihyafoundation.com or 905-815-3440 or 416-729-1426
Place: Bombay Palace
200 Advance Blvd
Brampton, Ontario
www.bombaypalace.ca
Comments: Shaykh Hamza led over 230 western students on Rihla 2006 to Medinah, with unprecedented access to many sacred sites. Hear first hand about the experience shared by Shaykh Hamza and this group of blessed students. The legacy of the Prophet (s.a.w) came alive for these fortunate souls in these troubled times. Go to www.ihyafoundation.com for more information.

for other events taking place in toronto, you can always go here:
http://www.torontomuslims.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.